PDA

View Full Version : Highgate Reserve Craigieburn

Eastdog
09-11-2014, 07:37 PM
This is most likely not going to happen as Labor are most likely going to get in. As a back up plan - I'm aware we played one home VFL game there but say if Labor don't win the election and Ballarat falls through could this be another option for us. Money could be put into it and we can have a presence in the outer north west suburbs. Have any woofers watched footy there what do you think of that ground. The East West Day each year has the east and south Doggies fans covered.

What are your thoughts?

dog town
09-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Wind swept sh*t hole comes to mind. Would take a heap of work. It works well for the cannons but it's not up to hosting AFL footy. I did my level 1 coaching course there. It's basically a nice oval with one big building. The wind can be a real issue there as with all suburban grounds. It's also in the middle of a housing estate so parking would be an issue.

Eastdog
09-11-2014, 07:47 PM
I haven't watched footy at that ground but just wanted to get people's thoughts on it being like a back plan to Ballarat which fingers crossed should happen.

GVGjr
09-11-2014, 08:01 PM
It's not an option and to suggest a multi million development to bring it up to some sort of condition would just open the whole Whitten Oval debate again.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2014, 08:41 PM
It's not an option and to suggest a multi million development to bring it up to some sort of condition would just open the whole Whitten Oval debate again.

Please no! :) Im done with that 'debate'.

F'scary
09-11-2014, 08:46 PM
And Crazybums is not in the Western Suburbs.

For me Western Suburbs means west of the Maribyrnong River.

Webby
09-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Craigieburn is an outer northern suburb. I know it as "New Broadmeadows". It's nowhere near Dogs' turf. If anything, it's Essendon-North Melbourne-Carlton-Fitzroy territory.. Maybe even Collingwood at a stretch.

Us sniffing around there is another as logical as Norf sniffing around... I don't know... ballarat!? ;)

Eastdog
09-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Although even though its not our traditional heartland area from a few posts I've seen in the past on this forum we do have quite a few a Dogs fans in the north west.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Although even though its not our traditional heartland area from a few posts I've seen in the past on this forum we do have quite a few a Dogs fans in the north west.

Based on the posts you've seen on here Eastie, as a percentage of posters, how many fans do you think we have around there? (40 posters on here out of 400 Woofers would be 10% of our fan base). So would it be 10% of our fan base, 20% or maybe 30%? Just trying to work out what the size of the stand would need to be.

Eastdog
09-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Based on the posts you've seen on here Eastie, as a percentage of posters, how many fans do you think we have around there? (40 posters on here out of 400 Woofers would be 10% of our fan base). So would it be 10% of our fan base, 20% or maybe 30%? Just trying to work out what the size of the stand would need to be.

As I don't live in the north western area I can't really answer that exactly BT.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2014, 09:29 PM
As I don't live in the north western area I can't really answer that exactly BT.

Sorry Eastie, I thought you said you based your comments off of posts from people on here. Must have read it wrong.

Eastdog
09-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Sorry Eastie, I thought you said you based your comments off of posts from people on here. Must have read it wrong.

No worries BT. Yep only a few have said that there are quite a few but we can't really base much of the % of our supporter base in the area from that.

Webby
09-11-2014, 09:34 PM

Absolutely, however Craigieburn is bone arrow, due north of Melbourne! Our club's one trump card (recently played) is that we're the only club south of the Maribyrnong (the fastest growing wedge of greater Melbourne). Taking in anything from Taylor's Lakes to Werribee - now even Melton through Bacchus Marsh all the way to Ballarat. Only a certain little German fella from the 1940's would be mad enough to spread his lines as far as Craigieburn!

The Dogs have got more than enough to chew on.

Eastdog
09-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Absolutely, however Craigieburn is bone arrow, due north of Melbourne! Our club's one trump card (recently played) is that we're the only club south of the Maribyrnong (the fastest growing wedge of greater Melbourne). Taking in anything from Taylor's Lakes to Werribee - now even Melton through Bacchus Marsh all the way to Ballarat. Only a certain little German fella from the 1940's would be mad enough to spread his lines as far as Craigieburn!

The Dogs have got more than enough to chew on.

Yes fair point Webby. We are very fortunate whether we live in the western region or not to have that whole growth area.

Twodogs
09-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Collingwood and Carlton both have pokies venues in the west so they have a presence right in our heartland. Does this place need a pokies venue Easty? Or something else that could turn a buck? We'd be happy to be involved in that.

Eastdog
09-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Collingwood and Carlton both have pokies venues in the west so they have a presence right in our heartland. Does this place need a pokies venue Easty? Or something else that could turn a buck? We'd be happy to be involved in that.

I'm not sure TD but maybe a few woofers who live near there might know the situation. Is that right that Collingwood and Carlton have porkies venues in the west.

Torpedo
09-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Includes an MCG-sized training ground including grandstand, change rooms and meeting rooms, an additional playing field for football, soccer and cricket and walking tracks and playgrounds.
Certainly windswept, the one and only time I've been out there.

1eyedog
09-11-2014, 10:25 PM
This is most likely not going to happen as Labor are most likely going to get in. As a back up plan - I'm aware we played one home VFL game there but say if Labor don't win the election and Ballarat falls through could this be another option for us. Money could be put into it and we can have a presence in the outer north west suburbs. Have any woofers watched footy there what do you think of that ground. The East West Day each year has the east and south Doggies fans covered.

What are your thoughts?

Good surface and good facilities for what they serve but not appropriate for us no.

Twodogs
10-11-2014, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure TD but maybe a few woofers who live near there might know the situation. Is that right that Collingwood and Carlton have porkies venues in the west.

Yep. Collingwood run a venue in Newport (located on a road called Footscray road, if you don't mind!) and Carlton's is in Meltin or Werribee from memory. Now that I think about it Collingwood also have a venue in Caroline Springs.

Eastdog
10-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Yep. Collingwood run a venue in Newport (located on a road called Footscray road, if you don't mind!) and Carlton's is in Meltin or Werribee from memory. Now that I think about it Collingwood also have a venue in Caroline Springs.

We have the Peninsula Club down in Dromana but really if they are doing that we should look to do the same thing.

BulldogBelle
10-11-2014, 08:15 AM

l am sure Carltons is the Laverton club on Aviation Rd where it joins the freeway.
Collingwood sure do have one in Caroline springs and Geelong in Point Cook.

Webby
10-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Pokies is one thing, but isn't this discussion about us playing games in Craigieburn, or am I missing something?

There'd be an air of North Melbourne-like confusion with us playing in the outer northern suburbs. Particularly with other, bigger clubs surely eyeing off our huge backyard! We need to pick our battles. For every Craigieburn, there's a Hoppers Crossing, Melton, Werribee Caroline Springs and Ballarat. We have more than enough ground to cultivate.

Hasn't North Melbourne Cricket Club moved to Craigieburn? Don't Essendon's VFL side play there? And aren't Carlton's VFL side called the Northern Blues? Has anyone seen the movie 'A Beautiful Mind' and the Russell Crowe character's theory on four blokes chasing the one girl?

As WBFC effectively have a beautiful wife at home, why would we even throw ourselves at Craigieburn? As Paul Newman one said, "Why go out for hamburger when you've got steak at home?"

Labor are going to bolt in the election in any case. Ballarat is a lock. And Ballarat's a lot prettier than Craigieburn, believe me!

Jam Donuts
10-11-2014, 12:18 PM

Hawthorn are also in Caroline Springs.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2014, 02:28 PM
We have the Peninsula Club down in Dromana but really if they are doing that we should look to do the same thing.

Talking about the Peninsula Club my wife and I had a meal there last week and we then fed $20 into a poker machine. Suddenly all the bells and whistles went off right next to us, sadly it wasn't our machine, and the guy won $8,000. He shouted everyone a drink...mind you the place was only occupied by about 20 people at the time. Now if only I had picked that machine....:)

Doggy
10-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Pokies is one thing, but isn't this discussion about us playing games in Craigieburn, or am I missing something?

There'd be an air of North Melbourne-like confusion with us playing in the outer northern suburbs. Particularly with other, bigger clubs surely eyeing off our huge backyard! We need to pick our battles. For every Craigieburn, there's a Hoppers Crossing, Melton, Werribee Caroline Springs and Ballarat. We have more than enough ground to cultivate.

Hasn't North Melbourne Cricket Club moved to Craigieburn? Don't Essendon's VFL side play there? And aren't Carlton's VFL side called the Northern Blues? Has anyone seen the movie 'A Beautiful Mind' and the Russell Crowe character's theory on four blokes chasing the one girl?

As WBFC effectively have a beautiful wife at home, why would we even throw ourselves at Craigieburn? As Paul Newman one said, "Why go out for hamburger when you've got steak at home?"

Labor are going to bolt in the election in any case. Ballarat is a lock. And Ballarat's a lot prettier than Craigieburn, believe me!

Greenvale

Eastdog
10-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Greenvale

The outer North Western Corrdior is another big growth area. Im aware we do a bit in the Sunbury and Diggers Rest communities.

Twodogs
10-11-2014, 08:45 PM
The outer North Western Corrdior is another big growth area. Im aware we do a bit in the Sunbury and Diggers Rest communities.

Doug Hawkins lives in Diggers Rest.

Webby
10-11-2014, 09:12 PM

Diggers Rest is as far north as we could feasibly spread ourselves.... And it's a town of a miserly 2,500 people...

We have a growing 1million population in our backyard!

Melton (pop 45,000), Werribee (pop 38,000), Hoppers Crossing (pop 38,000), Point Cook (pop 32,000), Tarneit (pop 22,000), Caroline Springs (pop 25,000) etc etc etc. I could bang on about Sydenham, Hillside, Delahey, Burnside, Point Cook, Wyndham Vale, Truganina, Ravenhall, Rockbann, Williams Landing, Bacchus Marsh etc etc, but that would be labouring the point.

Sunbury is a town of 33,000 and it's way out of our heartland. It's also rusted on Essendon and dwarfed by Ballarat in any case. We've got our work cut out just engaging all of those places above without eyeing off Craigieburn and Sunbury! Particularly with our limited resources. The Ballarat development means that we've won the west. We'd be wise to make sure we keep it.

Webby
10-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Doug Hawkins lives in Diggers Rest.

Pretty sure Doug's in Bacchus Marsh.. Which is due west of Melbourne, half way to Ballarat.
It's also 10 times the size of Diggers Rest.

KT31
10-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Pretty sure Doug's in Bacchus Marsh.. Which is due west of Melbourne, half way to Ballarat.

He may have moved, but pretty sure he still lives in Bacchus across the road from an old work mate.

Eastdog
10-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Yep thats right.

Twodogs
10-11-2014, 10:39 PM

He may have moved, but pretty sure he still lives in Bacchus across the road from an old work mate.

Even though I read and wrote Diggers Rest, I meant Bacchus Marsh. I ran into Doug at a wild party in Diggers Rest many years ago. Since then Doug and Diggers Rest have become fused in my brain-a Pavlog's dogs kind of thing.

Eastdog
11-11-2014, 03:55 AM
Diggers Rest is as far north as we could feasibly spread ourselves.... And it's a town of a miserly 2,500 people...

We have a growing 1million population in our backyard!

Melton (pop 45,000), Werribee (pop 38,000), Hoppers Crossing (pop 38,000), Point Cook (pop 32,000), Tarneit (pop 22,000), Caroline Springs (pop 25,000) etc etc etc. I could bang on about Sydenham, Hillside, Delahey, Burnside, Point Cook, Wyndham Vale, Truganina, Ravenhall, Rockbann, Williams Landing, Bacchus Marsh etc etc, but that would be labouring the point.

Sunbury is a town of 33,000 and it's way out of our heartland. It's also rusted on Essendon and dwarfed by Ballarat in any case. We've got our work cut out just engaging all of those places above without eyeing off Craigieburn and Sunbury! Particularly with our limited resources. The Ballarat development means that we've won the west. We'd be wise to make sure we keep it.

Sunbury and Diggers Rest are certainly more north west but agree that Craigieburn is much more north. We have I think I saw somwhere a Bulldog Friendly School in Diggers Rest. Diggers Rest and Sunbury are also on the same train line as West Footscray (Whitten Oval).

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-rUuRzeK7zvc%2FUqm1pYJyeEI%2FAAAAAAAAA5s%2F0PtelXOBlw4%2Fs160 0%2F420-boundary-420x0.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diggersresttalk.com%2F2013%2F12%2 Fdiggers-rest-sunbury-population-growth.html&h=280&w=420&tbnid=LjTfRipFEInKvM%3A&zoom=1&docid=xxp0ZuSBII52cM&hl=en&ei=ZuBgVNDLGoG4mwW-6oKwBw&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CBwQMygBMAE&iact=rc&uact=3&page=1&start=0&ndsp=15

Webby
11-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Sunbury and Diggers Rest are certainly more north west but agree that Craigieburn is much more north. We have I think I saw somwhere a Bulldog Friendly School in Diggers Rest. Diggers Rest and Sunbury are also on the same train line as West Footscray (Whitten Oval).

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-rUuRzeK7zvc%2FUqm1pYJyeEI%2FAAAAAAAAA5s%2F0PtelXOBlw4%2Fs160 0%2F420-boundary-420x0.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diggersresttalk.com%2F2013%2F12%2 Fdiggers-rest-sunbury-population-growth.html&h=280&w=420&tbnid=LjTfRipFEInKvM%3A&zoom=1&docid=xxp0ZuSBII52cM&hl=en&ei=ZuBgVNDLGoG4mwW-6oKwBw&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CBwQMygBMAE&iact=rc&uact=3&page=1&start=0&ndsp=15

I'll grant that Diggers and Sunbury are on the railway past Whitten Oval (even if the Sunbury/Diggers service doesn't stop there and on that token is similar to the Bendigo, Mildura and Sydney services.) However Diggers is so tiny that it's hardly worth discussion and Sunbury really is pushing it. Essendon's new training centre is literally 18 minutes from Sunbury and the town is rusted on Essendon to begin with.

Spreading resources towards Sunbury would be akin to a bloke who has been allocated a Swedish beach volleyball team in his house, wandering off to a lesbian bar to try to pull..