PDA

View Full Version : Who goes to the footy solo

Eastdog
11-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Interested to know if any of you guys go to the footy solo.

I go to the footy solo also being the only Doggie in my family but have got to know a few of the people around me near my reserved seat and have a few Doggies mates in standing room who I catch up with a bit at half time at games.

F'scary
11-11-2014, 04:09 PM
I am a Han Solo. I have only managed about 6 games in the last few years but am l looking to increase to about 6 games (at least!) in 2015.

Ghost Dog
11-11-2014, 05:42 PM
I go by myself when I am in Melbourne. People are busy, married, weekends full. Like to go to a game and put on the radio.
People are pretty friendly and you can often get into a conversation.

1eyedog
11-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah I go by myself - end up complaining to the poor people around me.

When the game is played at a reasonable time I sometimes take my 6 year old son.

LostDoggy
11-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Censusdog

BornInDroopSt'54
11-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Yes have been going solo for decades but being an introvert we love our own company. Used to go sometimes with my brother who died and sometimes go with a son. I like to talk with other supporters and feel a brotherhood with every Bulldogs fan.

Eastdog
11-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Censusdog

I guess as its off season these type of threads become more apparent :)

GVGjr
11-11-2014, 07:06 PM

Not many though.

AndrewP6
11-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Me. I put my headphones on, listen to the radio broadcast. And rant and rave a little bit.

F'scary
11-11-2014, 07:51 PM

I like these census threads.

Twodogs
11-11-2014, 10:13 PM
I really don't mind. People, no people. I'm pretty much in a world of my own when I'm watching footy anyway.

azabob
11-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Yes have been going solo for decades but being an introvert we love our own company. Used to go sometimes with my brother who died and sometimes go with a son. I like to talk with other supporters and feel a brotherhood with every Bulldogs fan.

Where do you sit?

BornInDroopSt'54
11-11-2014, 10:38 PM
This forum plays an important part in binding us. Like notes in a composition, we will reach a crescendo when the team plays as an orchestra.

Stringer et al in the string section, Libba et al the percussion, Tom Boyd et al brass, Murph et al woodwind.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Where do you sit?

Third level on the Bulldogs side of wing.How about you?

azabob
11-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Level two. Mainly half forward flank Bulldog end.

bornadog
11-11-2014, 11:31 PM
Level two. Mainly half forward flank Bulldog end.

What aisle do you sit in? I have reserved seats in aisle 31

Scorlibo
11-11-2014, 11:32 PM
I go alone a fair bit of the time these days - my family can't often get out on the weekends, due to a combination of age and illness. I sometimes take a mate, or even better a friend who's new to football. I've recruited a few in the last couple of years by doing that.

jeemak
11-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Solo, meet up with folk throughout the day for a beer and a laugh but for the most part prefer to stand by myself on a wing.

As some of you might have picked up over the years I can be pretty opinionated and vehement with my point of view so it can be better for all concerned if I'm left to my own devices in general play!

mighty_west
12-11-2014, 12:29 AM
At WO, with my dad and brother (Flamethrower).
At Optus and Colonial with my mum and brother, don't think the old man likes Docklands that much.
From about the time the ground became Telstra Dome just Flamethrower.
Now since living in QLD for the past 3 years on my own, will take m_w junior when he's old enough.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-11-2014, 01:34 AM
If you see someone dangling from the level above and waving upside down, that'll be me.

Raw Toast
12-11-2014, 05:07 AM
Went by myself for many years but now generally go with my kids or meet up with someone if it is an evening game. Not averse to going by myself though - I always like that you can chat to almost anyone around you at the footy, but also enjoy catching up with friends at the game.

I have found though, that the secret with youngish kids is to hang out with others who have the same - the kids are good at entertaining themselves that way, regardless of the score.

azabob
12-11-2014, 07:49 AM

We are neighbours. I'm aslie 32 from memory. I'm sure during stages of last year it would've just been you and I!

The Underdog
12-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Went by myself for many years but now generally go with my kids or meet up with someone if it is an evening game. Not averse to going by myself though - I always like that you can chat to almost anyone around you at the footy, but also enjoy catching up with friends at the game.

I have found though, that the secret with youngish kids is to hang out with others who have the same - the kids are good at entertaining themselves that way, regardless of the score.
Myself and the kids will be available again when you're back next season :)

Raw Toast
12-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Glorious! I was hoping that would be the case!

Did you take them to the WO? I thought it could be fun to take mine along to a VFL game there as well.

The Underdog
12-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Did you take them to the WO? I thought it could be fun to take mine along to a VFL game there as well.

Not yet. Didn't quite work out but planning to.

Relevant to the thread, I often go on my own. I've calm down considerably in recent years so often sit and try to ignore people.

G-Mo77
12-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Went solo every game lats year apart from the games against Melbourne when my brother came along. Hope to bring the little lad along a few times next year.

The Pie Man
12-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Have done and will do again, but most games I meet up with my brother - pretty much the only thing we do together outside of Christmas! Looking forward to taking my boy when he's a little older

Standing room's great for random conversation with strangers

WBFC4FFC
12-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Solo half the time but my mates know where to find me if they want.

Twodogs
13-11-2014, 01:01 AM

Twodogs junior loves going to games at the Whitten oval. The semi final against Willy was old school footy. The Grand Final was perfect. Just as I imagined it would be.

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Twodogs junior loves going to games at the Whitten oval. The semi final against Willy was old school footy. The Grand Final was perfect. Just as I imagined it would be.

So great that GF was. Going out on the ground at Etihad was great celebrating our VFL success. It's good to hear that there bringing back kick to kick after the game but only at the MCG.

Raw Toast
13-11-2014, 01:24 AM

Great, can't wait!!

Go_Dogs
13-11-2014, 08:55 AM
It depends who we play and the timeslot, but I'd say I probably went to just under a half of games solo this year.

I'm pretty happy either way.

bornadog
13-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a few WOOFERS should get together with so many going solo.

dadsgirl16
13-11-2014, 10:03 AM
I have been going solo for many years....have had the same reserve seat since 2000 and so have many around me, so its like catching up with old friends now!

SonofScray
15-11-2014, 03:47 PM
I went to a handful of VFL games solo this season. Usually bump into a few familiar faces though. Prefer to go with group though, footy is a real family thing for me, I wouldn't see many of my extended family if we didn't all watch the footy together.

Max469
15-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Have always gone on my own to my reserved seat. This year I met with friends before the game in the Social Club and next year I am moving seats to be with them. Looking forward to it.

LostDoggy
17-11-2014, 10:05 AM
By myself to home games, helps when the same people around you are in the same seats every year, which makes you feel like your not alone.

Eastdog
24-11-2014, 07:46 PM

I have a reserved seat on Level 1. I'm sure there are quite a few woofers who are on level 1 as well. Who knows we have probably walked past each other without knowing it :)

LostDoggy
25-11-2014, 01:04 PM
I have a reserved seat on Level 1. I'm sure there are quite a few woofers who are on level 1 as well. Who knows we have probably walked past each other without knowing it :)

Very Possible, im in Aisle 33 Level 1.

1eyedog
25-11-2014, 02:20 PM

I'm on level 1 Aisle 36 Row H with my son - great bloody seats.

dadsgirl16
25-11-2014, 02:41 PM
I am on level 1 aisle 40

Eastdog
25-11-2014, 03:08 PM

I'm around Aisle 34 Level 1 so very close we are alexxx.

Agree 1eyedog I reckon the area we are in are some of the best seats at Etihad.

LostDoggy
27-11-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm Aisle 37/38 Level 1.

Eastdog
28-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Good to have some fellow woofers fairly close by :)

Bulldog4life
28-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Good to have some fellow woofers fairly close by :)

Maybe all you Woofers sitting close to each other should develop a Woofer Mating Call. Like the secret handshake of the Masons. Only you all will know it.

LostDoggy
28-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Maybe all you Woofers sitting close to each other should develop a Woofer Mating Call. Like the secret handshake of the Masons. Only you all will know it.

Love this idea!

Eastdog
19-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a few WOOFERS should get together with so many going solo.

Great idea BAD. Would love to meet some of the fellow woofers at the footy this season. We would have to pick a specific area in Etihad to meet. We should of done a woof get together at the Whitten Oval match a few weeks back.

bornadog
19-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Great idea BAD. Would love to meet some of the fellow woofers at the footy this season. We would have to pick a specific area in Etihad to meet. We should of done a woof get together at the Whitten Oval match a few weeks back.

There you go you can be chief organiser :)

Eastdog
19-03-2015, 05:57 PM
There you go you can be chief organiser :)

I reckon meet around Gate 5 on Level 1 at Etihad where most of our members sit.

Axe Man
19-03-2015, 06:20 PM
I reckon meet around Gate 5 on Level 1 at Etihad where most of our members sit.

Will you be wearing a red carnation Eastdog so we can identify you?:)

Eastdog
19-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Will you be wearing a red carnation Eastdog so we can identify you?:)

Could wear a bright tag or something :) Nah I reckon on match day post in this thread and then we can find where we are at and go from there.

Eastdog
27-03-2015, 04:46 PM
We can try for Round 1 or if not round 1 other times during the year. We could post on this thread where we are and then meet preferably on Level 1 to meet.

whythelongface
27-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a great idea Eastdog. I will be going to the Round 1 game.

Eastdog
27-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Sounds like a great idea Eastdog. I will be going to the Round 1 game.

Cool. I reckon around Gate 5 or 7 preferably would be good as our members and cheer squad are there but we can post in this thread if woofers intend to meet.

Bulldog4life
28-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Cool. I reckon around Gate 5 or 7 preferably would be good as our members and cheer squad are there but we can post in this thread if woofers intend to meet.

I still think the secret handshake is a goer.

craigsahibee
30-03-2015, 12:16 PM
I still think the secret handshake is a goer.

Or a Choco Royal like "shake of the head"

F'scary
30-03-2015, 01:09 PM
I am looking forward to going to Round 1. I have a football club membership, general admission, home games. Will post closer to the date, Easty, WTLF, et al.

Eastdog
31-03-2015, 01:46 PM
I am looking forward to going to Round 1. I have a football club membership, general admission, home games. Will post closer to the date, Easty, WTLF, et al.

Sounds good F'scary. If not on Saturday plenty of opportunity as I've said this year to meet up.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Well what happened? Did Eastie & Footscray get to meet?

Eastdog
08-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Well what happened? Did Eastie & Footscray get to meet?

Nah F'scary wasn't able to make the first match. We have the whole season to meet with other woofers.

Eastdog
30-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Will be great to get an opportunity at one of our home matches to catch up. Would be great to chat with F'scary. I met soupaman :) two days before our first nab match at WO. Would be good to meet up again :)

F'scary
30-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Will be great to get an opportunity at one of our home matches to catch up. Would be great to chat with F'scary. I met soupaman :) two days before our first nab match at WO. Would be good to meet up again :)

We'll do it Easty, I am hopeful of a leave pass for at least one of the next 3 at the Docklands: Stk, Freo and GWS

Eastdog
30-04-2015, 09:39 PM
We'll do it Easty, I am hopeful of a leave pass for at least one of the next 3 at the Docklands: Stk, Freo and GWS

Sounds good mate.

josie
30-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Any solo woofers who are interested should have a go at sitting with the cheer squad.

I joined squad last year and they are a friendly lot. Even got hubby to join squad this year and he agrees atmosphere is much better than level 3. What you miss out on in bird's eye perspective is made up by being close to the players, especially when kicking to 'Scray end.

If you are not a member of the cheer squad and want to try it out before deciding whether to join....try and enter the seated area from another gate then swing inwards, as security do often check membership as you enter the squad seated area.

Eastdog
01-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Would be good to meet with NBP at the footy someday too and other woofers on here who are all passionate about our great club.

bornadog
01-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Any solo woofers who are interested should have a go at sitting with the cheer squad.

I joined squad last year and they are a friendly lot. Even got hubby to join squad this year and he agrees atmosphere is much better than level 3. What you miss out on in bird's eye perspective is made up by being close to the players, especially when kicking to 'Scray end.

If you are not a member of the cheer squad and want to try it out before deciding whether to join....try and enter the seated area from another gate then swing inwards, as security do often check membership as you enter the squad seated area.

Good idea Josie

azabob
01-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Would be good to meet with NBP at the footy someday too and other woofers on here who are all passionate about our great club.

Eastie, why don't you look to join the cheer squad?

Eastdog
01-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Eastie, why don't you look to join the cheer squad?

Very happy with my current reserved seat on Level 1 in the silver section. Even though I go into the footy usually solo I certain don't feel alone when I'm at the footy as I gotten to know the people around quite well. I also have a few people I know in standing room as well.

ledge
02-05-2015, 11:25 AM
I go alone sometimes and I'm in the cheersquad . I tend to sit at the right point post and about halfway up.
I'm not a cheerer but more a watcher and take in all
The moves etc .
I joined the cheersquad as I think it's only $75 a year you always get comfortable seating as its never full and why pay big dollars for a seat ?
You also get invites to events . It's really good value for money.

LostDoggy
08-05-2015, 06:25 PM

Are you gouing tomorrow Easty?
I'll be catching the train from Dandy and meeting my Dad at the ground there who will be coming down from Yarrawonga.
Will be the fisrt time this year that we've been able to catch up together apart from the NAB challenge game against Richmond.
Can't wait.
It's gunna be a big day,especially if we bury the aints ;)

F'scary
08-05-2015, 07:40 PM
I am going solo tomorrow. Hope to get to the ground a good half hour or more before the match. I have a general admission membership. Happy to catch up for a beer before the match with any other solo Woofers or even join you to watch the match if you have general admission seating.

Eastdog
08-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Are you gouing tomorrow Easty?
I'll be catching the train from Dandy and meeting my Dad at the ground there who will be coming down from Yarrawonga.
Will be the fisrt time this year that we've been able to catch up together apart from the NAB challenge game against Richmond.
Can't wait.
It's gunna be a big day,especially if we bury the aints ;)

Should be there. Usually try meet up with a few Bulldog mates in standing room.

LostDoggy
08-05-2015, 08:32 PM
I,ll be solo tomorrow , first time in the Platinum Club after upgrading my Membership

josie
09-05-2015, 12:41 AM
I think it is time for an entrepreneurial and creative WOOFER to make up a WOOF badge so we can say WOOF to each other on game days... WOOF, WOOF, WOOF.

Geez I hope we beat the Saints tomorrow - and being greedy I hope it is by a big margin.

Eastdog
09-05-2015, 08:11 PM
I think it is time for an entrepreneurial and creative WOOFER to make up a WOOF badge so we can say WOOF to each other on game days... WOOF, WOOF, WOOF.

Geez I hope we beat the Saints tomorrow - and being greedy I hope it is by a big margin.

Thought we were going to win big today until something changed.

Eastdog
09-05-2015, 10:32 PM

Its harder to meet at the games with the big crowd so its really the Nab matches and family days both at Whitten Oval and Wesley College which are the best ways.