PDA

View Full Version : Mark Thompson set to be approached about Western Bulldogs coaching job

bornadog
13-11-2014, 01:36 PM
THE Western Bulldogs are set to give Mark Thompson a call about their vacant coaching position.

Untried coach Luke Beveridge is considered the favourite for the job with Bulldogs assistant Brent Montgomery and former Adelaide coach Neil Craig also in the mix.

The Dogs were hopeful of naming a new coach before senior players return from leave on Monday.

But Thompson’s dramatic departure from Essendon has turned the selection process on its head.

He was not expected to be a candidate but coaching selection panel member Luke Darcy says the triple-premiership coach can’t be overlooked.

“I think given that we haven’t finished the process at the Bulldogs, you’d have to think about it,” Luke Darcy said on Triple M radio.

“The time that he was in contract that precludes you from having any of those conversations.”

Darcy said the selection panel would have to discuss a possible approach to Thompson, “but you look at his coaching record ... it is off the charts, it is an amazing record in football.

“For someone like that not to be involved actively, just seems like that is a waste of the game.

“The answer is yes.”

Thompson’s close relationship with sacked Dogs coach Brendan McCartney would be a major hurdle to overcome if Thompson was to consider taking the job — as would his unpaid $30,000 fine for his part in Essendon’s 2012 supplement program.

The selection panel comprises Darcy, Bulldogs football director Chris Grant, chief executive Simon Garlick, football manager Graham Lowe and former West Coast coach John Worsfold.

bulldogtragic
13-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Not sure why we are doing this. But what would I know.

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 02:32 PM
It says nothing about being approached. Sounds like the committee will get together and discuss but other than that it's business as usual.

westdog54
13-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Why is Darce even commenting on this?

Surely he had a quiet chat to Eddie and Mick and says "guys, I'm part of this process, do me a favour and avoid putting me on the spot about it".

Right now he's a headache the club doesn't need, for this very reason. He is the only member of the panel who has made any sort of significant comment about the process.

The Doctor
13-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Not sure why we are doing this. But what would I know.

We have to do our due diligence, surely.

He is one of the best. We would be negligent not to check him out.

Ozza
13-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Luke Darcy is a d1ckhead for delving into this on his radio show.

If I was one of the other members of the coaching appointment committee, I'd be pretty filthy on him for continuing to make comments.

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 04:07 PM
You can't ignore a proven premiership coach.

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 04:11 PM

We ignored Mark Williams by all accounts.

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 04:35 PM

Why weren't we interested in him?

Happy Days
13-11-2014, 04:35 PM

Yes you can.

How good was Alan Joyce? Blight at St Kilda? Roos at Melbourne? Malthouse at Carlton?

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Yes you can.

How good was Alan Joyce? Blight at St Kilda? Roos at Melbourne? Malthouse at Carlton?

Fair point but I argue what if this case is different and he is successful.

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 04:48 PM

I think it was a combination of factors. He seemed, like Thompson, a risky prospect but unlike Thompson he hasn't coached at senior level for a while. And (at least up until I heard we approached Craig), we seemed to be destined to go with an inexperienced 'younger' coach (for some reason). I'm not sure but Williams may also simply have said no behind closed doors and to save face we said we didn't approach him, who knows?

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Yes you can.

Malthouse and Roos are untested at their respective clubs. Pagan and Tony Jewell absolutely.

Remi Moses
13-11-2014, 04:58 PM

Gotta ask why he didn't succeed Kevin Sheedy in Wastelands ?

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 05:08 PM
I think it was a combination of factors. He seemed, like Thompson, a risky prospect but unlike Thompson he hasn't coached at senior level for a while. And (at least up until I heard we approached Craig), we seemed to be destined to go with an inexperienced 'younger' coach (for some reason). I'm not sure but Williams may also simply have said no behind closed doors and to save face we said we didn't approach him, who knows?

Experienced or inexperienced coach really it can go both ways can't it in whether they'll be good.

hujsh
13-11-2014, 05:35 PM
So he's not set to be approached by the Bulldogs. This is all based on those comments Darcy made basically just saying they'll do their due diligence in considering the idea.

Shit journalism.

Happy Days
13-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Malthouse and Roos are untested at their respective clubs. Pagan and Tony Jewell absolutely.

Disagree; Carlton have seriously worsened under Malthouse and several player relationships have been fractured beyond repair. If Roos didn't have so many mates in the media then his first season at Melbourne would have been called out for the uncompetitive disaster it was.

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Disagree; Carlton have seriously worsened under Malthouse and several player relationships have been fractured beyond repair. If Roos didn't have so many mates in the media then his first season at Melbourne would have been called out for the uncompetitive disaster it was.

I think we need to make that assessment after they have completed their service - you're jumping the gun. While it hasn't been good for Carlton or Melbourne because of their lists they have brought in solid or potentially good players more recently. Regardless of this they are both still head coach at their respective clubs and should be judged at the end of their tenure. We have absolutely no idea what has happened at Carlton for instance, a Carlton friend of mine suggested that Malthouse has cleaned out the riff raff either by choice or design which is not dissimilar to what happened with us a few weeks ago. Difference is Malthouse is a far bigger personality than Macca.

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Did we??
According to who???

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Who says we weren't???
Have been???
Still are???
Just think there is still a big twist and a bolt from the blue to come from who we appoint as our new coach.

Greystache
I think the only thing that is clear from the constant media articles is they don't have the faintest idea who's going to get the job or who is really even in the running. Nearly every new scoop just takes some random speculation and bends it to fit the facts of a story they're looking to write. Most of these stories are less informed than your average footy forum discussion.

Eastdog
Who says we weren't???
Have been???
Still are???
Just think there is still a big twist and a bolt from the blue to come from who we appoint as our new coach.

We really don't know what's around the corner do we.

GVGjr
13-11-2014, 07:11 PM
By all means we should interview him but I'd ask him a very different set of questions than most other candidates.

I'd really want to test his knowledge of the last season regarding games that Essendon didn't participate in. I'd want to know how switched on he about the whole AFL competition and what the trends are going forward.

jeemak
13-11-2014, 07:12 PM
In an article from Caro today:

Early on Thursday, Luke Darcy declared on his radio program that the Bulldogs would look at Thompson now that he had become available. If Darcy was unaware that Thompson had already been available and had been out of contract since the end of October then he should not have been on the Bulldogs' coaching panel.

There must be other reasons why Darcy and co previously overlooked Thompson.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mark-thompsons-exit-highlights-the-dysfunction-at-essendons-core-20141113-11m659.html

Overall it's a pretty good article because it's bashing EFC, but the above stands out for me as telling.

Ghost Dog
13-11-2014, 08:10 PM
She's become like Tokyo Rose in regards to Essendon. Every day, punch punch. Sort of over it really. But wait, it's Essendon. Ah go on then Caro, have another dip.

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Did we??
According to who???

It was documented in numerous papers and across websites in general discussion regarding eho we arr anc arent looking at. I could find those sources if you like but if you really wanted to know so could you.

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 08:15 PM
We really don't know what's around the corner do we.

Exactly Eastdog.
For all the media and us as supporters know we could be going in a totally different direction and I dunno let's say we appoint a 3 head coaches-Bomber for backs,Beveridge for mids and Tudor for forwards?!?!?!?! :):D;)

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 08:26 PM
It was documented in numerous papers and across websites in general discussion regarding eho we arr anc arent looking at. I could find those sources if you like but if you really wanted to know so could you.

Same papers,websites and journalists who also said that the T-BOYD trade would not be done on the simple fact that it was OUR CLUB he wanted to come and play for and not one of the "BIG FOUR" CLUBS AS TO BE SO DISMISSIVE AND ARROGANT ABOUT HOW IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN FOR US FOR ONCE!!!

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Same papers,websites and journalists who also said that the T-BOYD trade would not be done on the simple fact that it was OUR CLUB he wanted to come and play for and not one of the "BIG FOUR" CLUBS AS TO BE SO DISMISSIVE AND ARROGANT ABOUT HOW IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN FOR US FOR ONCE!!!

Which media sources and journos do you trust redders70. There are a lot out there who like to spin a lot of stuff.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-11-2014, 08:57 PM
I would be disappointed if we got him.

The Doctor
13-11-2014, 09:08 PM
I think the Darcy comments are just spin.

I doubt the Bulldogs have any genuine interest otherwise they would have been onto it well before now. I just think it's a blurb to appease all those out there who are saying "Why don't they talk to Bomber?"

1eyedog
13-11-2014, 09:10 PM

You may as well not read anything then. I'm just going on what I have read.

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 09:17 PM

That's fair enough. You can't argue with that. You can only read what's out there. Gosh we don't know what really goes on in the inner sactumn.

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 09:34 PM

So am I 1eyedog,which leads me to believe that no-one knows who we have and havn't really talked to about becoming our coach.
There's more guess work going on here then in a game of CLUEDO.
;)

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Which media sources and journos do you trust redders70. There are a lot out there who like to spin a lot of stuff.

Trust only what I read on this site EASTDOG!
More credible ,factual and integrity writing comments ,opinions and reporting on WOOF then reading the HERALD DUM OR THE AGE.

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Trust only what I read on this site EASTDOG!
More credible ,factual and integrity writing comments ,opinions and reporting on WOOF then reading the HERALD DUM OR THE AGE.

How would you compare our tabloids to the UK.

SlimPickens
13-11-2014, 09:53 PM
How would you compare our tabloids to the UK.

How about we keep the thread on track.

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 09:54 PM
How about we keep the thread on track.

Sorry SP I did get a bit off track.

Webby
13-11-2014, 10:07 PM
This is a lesson to all:

Don't let anyone who makes their living talking garbage on FM radio every morning onto a selection committee for the most important appointment a club can make!

Had Darcy kept his mouth shut, this wouldn't be an issue. However, as it is, we once again look like a wayward minnow, bouncing around in the ocean without a clue.

JUST APPOINT BEVERIDGE AND GET ON WITH IT!!

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 10:10 PM
This is a lesson to all:

Don't let anyone who makes their living talking garbage on FM radio every morning onto a selection committee for the most important appointment a club can make!

Had Darcy kept his mouth shut, this wouldn't be an issue. However, as it is, we once again look like a wayward minnow, bouncing around in the ocean without a clue.

Agree

bulldogtragic
13-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Whenever I drive past the town Beveridge I always thought about Luke.

LostDoggy
13-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Whenever I drive past the town Beveridge I always thought about Luke.

I always ask my girlfriend if we should stop for a drink! Like when we drive to Adelaide, we always take the Kaniva route:)

The Doctor
13-11-2014, 11:07 PM
I always ask my girlfriend if we should stop for a drink! Like when we drive to Adelaide, we always take the Kaniva route:)

that's very kaniving!

Eastdog
13-11-2014, 11:13 PM
This is a lesson to all:

Darcy. What do you reckon? Is it good having him on the panel or not.

boydogs
13-11-2014, 11:41 PM
bouncing around in the ocean without a clue.

Bobbing up and down like this?

Ghost Dog
14-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Darcy. What do you reckon? Is it good having him on the panel or not.

Hey Eastdog. No not a fan of this decision. Having to listen to him carry on as a commentator for some years sort of eats away at his credibility in regards to a decision that could make or break this club.

Remi Moses
14-11-2014, 01:19 AM
Darcy should differentiate between being an FM morning show funster and being on a panel on this important decision .
The word " No comment " should have been blurted out , and "I'm not talking about the Western Bulldogs coaching appointment"
Is it that bloody hard

Eastdog
14-11-2014, 01:32 AM
Darcy should differentiate between being an FM morning show funster and being on a panel on this important decision .
The word " No comment " should have been blurted out , and "I'm not talking about the Western Bulldogs coaching appointment"
Is it that bloody hard

Agree there RM. He should of conducted himself a lot better.

westdog54
14-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Is it that bloody hard

It shouldn't get to the stage where its discussed on air at all.

A quick chat asking his colleagues not to put him on the spot about it and the problem simply disappears. Sadly it seems Darce isn't professional enough for that.

bornadog
14-11-2014, 10:18 AM
It shouldn't get to the stage where its discussed on air at all.

A quick chat asking his colleagues not to put him on the spot about it and the problem simply disappears. Sadly it seems Darce isn't professional enough for that.

I am not a great fan of Darcy as a commentator, but I do think he is a smart operator having run several businesses over the years.

Reading through all the comments (and I am not picking on yours WD54), but has Darcy actually let anything slip out at all? He was asked about Bomber and he said he is a good coach and should be considered.

Darcy has not given us one ounce of knowledge on who is favourite and who is likely to get the gig.

westdog54
14-11-2014, 10:32 AM
I am not a great fan of Darcy as a commentator, but I do think he is a smart operator having run several businesses over the years.

Reading through all the comments (and I am not picking on yours WD54), but has Darcy actually let anything slip out at all? He was asked about Bomber and he said he is a good coach and should be considered.

Darcy has not given us one ounce of knowledge on who is favourite and who is likely to get the gig.

From my point of view, irrespective of whether he has 'let anything slip' (like you, not picking on this particular comment), he should not be commenting in any shape or form.

1eyedog
14-11-2014, 11:28 AM
From my point of view, irrespective of whether he has 'let anything slip' (like you, not picking on this particular comment), he should not be commenting in any shape or form.

In all fairness it's his job to comment on MMM as a radio personality. He's not being interviewed by Eddie he's being asked to have a discussion about a topic as a radio commentator which was what he was getting paid to do when he was asked the question. He could have said that he didn't want to field questions about the Bulldogs coaching job but if he couldn't answer them or if others had a problem with him not answering them maybe he needed a break from radio. Alternatively, maybe we asked the wrong person to be part of the committee. I don't see any conflict of interest for Darcy but I do see, as we all saw recently, Darcy being put in compromising positions through his job at MMM which seemed to have ramifications for his role on the committee and for the club in general. I wonder how long PG and SG spent on the phone warding off journos since Darcy made those comments.

Eastdog
14-11-2014, 03:59 PM
So much for this story. There was an actual belief that Thompson could become coach.

KT31
14-11-2014, 04:02 PM
So much for this story. There was an actual belief that Thompson could become coach.

Think it was just put out to appease the naysayers.

Eastdog
14-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Think it was just put out to appease the naysayers.

I suppose your right KT31.

Twodogs
14-11-2014, 04:17 PM
I suppose your right KT31.

It's you're Easty.

I think any Mark Thompson talk was just a diversion. The club would have had it's mind made up by the time he left Essendon.

Eastdog
14-11-2014, 04:20 PM
It's you're Easty.

I think any Mark Thompson talk was just a diversion. The club would have had it's mind made up by the time he left Essendon.

Thanks for correcting that TD. Yeah typing on my phone :)