PDA

View Full Version : 10 Questions for Beveridge

The Doctor
16-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Some good questions here on the issues Beveridge is about to face.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-14/the-10-big-questions-for-beveridge

GVGjr
16-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Some good questions here on the issues Beveridge is about to face.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-14/the-10-big-questions-for-beveridge

A lot of the questions posed aren't necessarily for the coach.

F'scary
16-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Some thoughts as a lot of the Q's aren't solely for the coach:

Q1: Managing Boyd expectations.

He is going to be played in the seniors every match that he is fit. The problem will be the frequency and quality of the supply: can we get the ball to him and in a way that can be capitalised on?

Q2: Wage inflation following the Boyd deal.

Yes, this will be a problem. Probably, we are going to have to play money ball with the lesser lights on the list over the next 5-10 years. But it is not a unique problem, most of the good teams have it.

Q3: experienced players loss

Gia had in fact played 1 season too many. Cooney was but a shadow of his glory days. Higgins has never been a pivotal player. We already have some emerging players to take over from these three. It is Griffen that will hurt. One player. In the short term.

Q4: pending departures of Boyd, Murphy & Morris.

We are turning over 10 players from our senior list this year. There is the opportunity to also replenish the entire 4 spots on the rookie list. We should be able to find some replacements over the next couple of years for these valuable players from what we do this year.

Q5: find a key defender.

We have around 6 candidates for KPB roles on the list: Talia, Roberts, Hamling, Redpath, with Roughead and Bontempelli (CHB) even as a possibility. The first 4 named have been maturing for a few years and are now ready to stake their claims.

Q6: fix relationship with media.

It is not broken, we are doing a lot to promote the club in the media. We just need more coverage and more favourable coverage. Winning games is the solution.

Q7: best position for Bontempelli?

Pavlich, Adam Goodes, Goddard. They play a variety of positions. The flexibility is a bonus for the team.

Q8: minimise back room dramas.

This is a good question as Beveridge is inheriting Macca's crew.

Q9: Can Bulldogs win flag?

Yes, provided the AFL allows a level playing field.

10: What does he need for success?

That one is for the coach.

GVGjr
16-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Does any one know why we apparently have a problem with the media?

I'm not aware of any issues with the media.

bulldogtragic
16-11-2014, 04:36 PM

I haven't heard it this year, but I've recall some journos over the last few years say our media team is difficult to deal with and restrictive in allowing players to comment after games to the same level other teams allow. Not having heard it this year I assumed everything was ok. Maybe it's some baggage?

GVGjr
16-11-2014, 04:47 PM
I haven't heard it this year, but I've recall some journos over the last few years say our media team is difficult to deal with and restrictive in allowing players to comment after games to the same level other teams allow. Not having heard it this year I assumed everything was ok. Maybe it's some baggage?

Sounds petty but it could be right.
Maybe they have cracked the shits with being blindsided by the Boyd deal. The level of comment about the deal and the potential ramifications for other players has been a bit dramatic as well. Even Robbo's carrying on over a potential Montgomery coaching appointment sounded vindictive for some reason.

Ghost Dog
16-11-2014, 05:46 PM
I think the relationship with the media refers to our lack of pull, coverage and popularity as a club.
Notice that whenever any kind of lists of clubs is published on AFL.com, we are always, always at the bottom of the list.

bulldogtragic
16-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Maybe they have cracked the shits with being blindsided by the Boyd deal. The level of comment about the deal and the potential ramifications for other players has been a bit dramatic as well. Even Robbo's carrying on over a potential Montgomery coaching appointment sounded vindictive for some reason.

I don't think we should under estimate how much the media loved Macca, especially the 360 duo. To some like Robbo, I think the club's actions were akin to killing Bambi. We just need to keep ignoring some of the rubbish.

Webby
16-11-2014, 06:29 PM
I don't think we should under estimate how much the media loved Macca, especially the 360 duo. To some like Robbo, I think the club's actions were akin to killing Bambi. We just need to keep ignoring some of the rubbish.

Robbo openly campaigned for Beveridge. I don't think too much was lost there..

GVGjr
16-11-2014, 06:42 PM

It was very much a late play though and he certainly didn't endorse him early on. I think he read the late mail and got on board.
Early on he said we needed an experienced coach.

azabob
16-11-2014, 06:44 PM
I think the relationship with the media refers to our lack of pull, coverage and popularity as a club.
Notice that whenever any kind of lists of clubs is published on AFL.com, we are always, always at the bottom of the list.

I'll bite, not sure if you are serious, but isn't it always published in alphabetical order?

Webby
16-11-2014, 07:40 PM
It was very much a late play though and he certainly didn't endorse him early on. I think he read the late mail and got on board.
Early on he said we needed an experienced coach.

Yep, granted. That's the way Robbo rolls. He's middle ground. Not quite a bandwagon starter... More a bandwagon jumper... It's the red and black way...!

Remi Moses
16-11-2014, 07:52 PM

A bit dramatic is an understatement G.
Do they honestly think the club and the bean counters haven't had contracts and figures on a whiteboard or something more modern?
It's lazy journalism to just put it out there that Boyd's on a mil a year and that's it.
It would be front loaded or something similar( we're all just guessing)

Remi Moses
16-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Gotta say credit to the unmade bed, he at least did some investigating into Beveridge.
Can someone inform the Age we have appointed a new coach .
You wouldn't we'd appointed someone with their coverage

lemmon
16-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Yep, granted. That's the way Robbo rolls. He's middle ground. Not quite a bandwagon starter... More a bandwagon jumper... It's the red and black way...!

If he isn't breaking stories, what exactly is his value to the footy community? He has as much knowledge into the runnings of the club as the everyday pundit and that's how I treat his opinions.

F'scary
16-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Gotta say credit to the unmade bed, he at least did some investigating into Beveridge.
Can someone inform the Age we have appointed a new coach .
You wouldn't we'd appointed someone with their coverage

The Age wouldn't report it because we had appointed a man as the coach.

LostDoggy
16-11-2014, 09:41 PM
;)[QUOTE=azabob;412951]I'll bite, not sure if you are serious, but isn't it always published in alphabetical order?

;););)

hujsh
16-11-2014, 10:02 PM

???

No idea what that means. Are you suggesting the Age footy team is so ideological they insist on a female coach. If you are that's stupid, if not nevermind.

Remi Moses
16-11-2014, 11:34 PM

Hmmm odd comment
Least there not cheerleading Jimmsy like the Herald - tabloid rag

Rocket Science
17-11-2014, 10:49 AM

Also found this an odd claim when heard recently.

Can't recall exactly which footy media figure espoused this just now, but the claim is apparently one of access, or lack thereof.

Examples cited being short, sharp highly stage-managed club-media interactions, the club making only one person available at many of such interactions, instructing players to avoid public comment, etc.

If true, I've nothing against the club running a tighter ship but it's an interesting tendency for a traditionally media-starved club.

Evidently some of the hacks find it galling.

Ozza
17-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Find it a very strange comment in the article to suggest that bulldogs supporters aren't getting as much info via the media as other clubs fans do.

Via the bulldogs app in particular, as well as website and member comm's - I get more information about the club on a weekly basis, by double, in the last 2 years than ever before. The videos and player and coach interviews are great.

Obviously the 'relationship with the media' question must be related to individual journo's not getting the inside info or access that THEY want - and therefore have an axe to grind. I'm more than happy to be seeing and reading things direct from the club - than journo's quoted unnamed sources and writing speculative articles.

wimberga
17-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Find it a very strange comment in the article to suggest that bulldogs supporters aren't getting as much info via the media as other clubs fans do.

Via the bulldogs app in particular, as well as website and member comm's - I get more information about the club on a weekly basis, by double, in the last 2 years than ever before. The videos and player and coach interviews are great.

Obviously the 'relationship with the media' question must be related to individual journo's not getting the inside info or access that THEY want - and therefore have an axe to grind. I'm more than happy to be seeing and reading things direct from the club - than journo's quoted unnamed sources and writing speculative articles.

Well put and couldn't agree more.

The social media team that the dogs have put in place are doing a great job. loving the twitter photos from this mornings first session.

F'scary
17-11-2014, 08:19 PM
???

No idea what that means. Are you suggesting the Age footy team is so ideological they insist on a female coach. If you are that's stupid, if not nevermind.

Hmmm odd comment
Least there not cheerleading Jimmsy like the Herald - tabloid rag

No, no, no. "a man" as opposed to a big name like Thompson.

hujsh
18-11-2014, 01:19 AM
No, no, no. "a man" as opposed to a big name like Thompson.

Ah then I probably agree with you