PDA

View Full Version : Montgomery

GVGjr
17-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Some talk on twitter that Montgomery was a no show today at training. It would be a shame if we can't talk him around into being part of our coaching structure.

Smads57
17-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Hope he does stay on and can work in with Bevo and the other coaches, particularly as he was acknowledged last year as a leading asst coach. We need a bit of experience amongst the remaining coaches given Grant is also gone. Having said all that, if he wants to go it might also open up opportunities for us to seek another experienced asst coach (which may be on the radar anyway given some of the comments on Friday by Garlick).

F'scary
17-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Some talk on twitter that Montgomery was a no show today at training. It would be a shame if we can talk him around into being part of our coaching structure.

can or can't?

bulldogtragic
17-11-2014, 09:10 PM
I think it's best he go. Nothing personal, but he needs to move on.

Maddog37
17-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Time for him to move on IMHO. For his own development it would be good and say he does go elsewhere, has some success, and then Bevo fails then he would be top of the queue.

F'scary
17-11-2014, 09:13 PM
I think it's best he go. Nothing personal, but he needs to move on.

I really hope there is not an awkward situation brewing. But maybe the ingredients are there already.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2014, 09:17 PM
From the outside he appears to be highly rated and well respected.

I can certainly understand he would be disappointed and may look at other opportunities, but I hope he stays.

GVGjr
17-11-2014, 09:52 PM
can or can't?

Can't. I'll fix my post

bulldogtragic
17-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Can't. I'll fix my post

If true**** If he needs to be talked into staying and hasn't turned up out of annoyance or petulance... Why would we persist with him? We have not selected him twice in 3 years, so let's cut to the chase and let him chase his dream. Cracking the sads by not turning up to the first day of pre season if there's no good excuse is a shocking example to everyone. If we are drawing a line through everything saying it starts again and we are going forward so get on board we united again... Just leave and let us put a team together who lead by positive action.

GVGjr
17-11-2014, 10:47 PM
If true**** If he needs to be talked into staying and hasn't turned up out of annoyance or petulance... Why would we persist with him? We have not selected him twice in 3 years, so let's cut to the chase and let him chase his dream. Cracking the sads by not turning up to the first day of pre season if there's no good excuse is a shocking example to everyone. If we are drawing a line through everything saying it starts again and we are going forward so get on board we united again... Just leave and let us put a team together who lead by positive action.

I think we can sympathise with his situation however, I agree he needs to get over this disappointment quickly. The club thinks highly of him and if I were him I'd try and set-up a clear development programme with the club that helps me prepare for another crack at a senior job. Failing that then he needs to look at Chris Bond and the path that he took after missing out on a few senior jobs.

Lets hope he is back at the club soon.

1eyedog
17-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Was he sick? Is there a reason he was a no show? Does anyone know or are we speculating? I can imagine it would have been tough going for the job and getting knocked back but one of the first things I would have done had I been Bevo was give him a call on the day of my appointment or at least over the weekend to have a chat and see if he is on board or whether he is ok with the appointment. If Bevo is such a good people person I'd imagine this would have been one of his first ports of call, especially since Monty applied for the job too. If Bevo can get Monty on board it will fast track strong relationships wit the players..

azabob
17-11-2014, 10:59 PM
It's a fine line. If he walks, he may end up out of the system and struggle to get back in.

From memory Paul Williams walked out, after missing out on the top job, and now I don't think he is currently in the system.

jeemak
17-11-2014, 11:07 PM
I would think it perfectly natural for him to be given a breather and assess things after missing out this time around. If I was a betting man I'd say that's what has happened.

It's been a very intense month or so for all involved, in my view the dust should settle and Beverige should get his feet under the desk before major structural decisions are made.

GVGjr
17-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Was he sick? Is there a reason he was a no show? Does anyone know or are we speculating? I can imagine it would have been tough going for the job and getting knocked back but one of the first things I would have done had I been Bevo was give him a call on the day of my appointment or at least over the weekend to have a chat and see if he is on board or whether he is ok with the appointment. If Bevo is such a good people person I'd imagine this would have been one of his first ports of call, especially since Monty applied for the job too. If Bevo can get Monty on board it will fast track strong relationships wit the players..

As I mentioned in the opening post it was commentary from Twitter.

Twitter comments from Mark Stevens

1) Montgomery staying away, pondering future .. Door still open .. Interesting scenario

2) Montgomery, who missed out on job won by Beveridge, is no guarantee to return despite being under contract ...

3) The Dogs say Brett Montgomery is a wanted man, but the highly rated senior assistant was a no show at club today

I hope we can talk him around.

1eyedog
17-11-2014, 11:39 PM
As I mentioned in the opening post it was commentary from Twitter.

Twitter comments from Mark Stevens

1) Montgomery staying away, pondering future .. Door still open .. Interesting scenario

2) Montgomery, who missed out on job won by Beveridge, is no guarantee to return despite being under contract ...

3) The Dogs say Brett Montgomery is a wanted man, but the highly rated senior assistant was a no show at club today

I hope we can talk him around.

Ok thanks that's different. I read the no show as just that he didn't turn up and was not sure what the reason was. I didn't see Stevens' tweet. As I said it must be hard walking in to the club everyday knowing they just don't rate you high enough for the top job. Surely Bevo would ultimately like to bring his own lieutenant in as well.

bornadog
17-11-2014, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't blame him under the circumstances.

LostDoggy
18-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Happy for him to leave, I'm quite sure The Drink would echo my thoughts. Too awkward.

jeemak
18-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Are the ego's in the AFL so big they can't work around being overseen for a position and not conduct themselves professionally over an extended period of time, or conversely, feel so insecure about having just attained a position and not be able to work with those who are within the business that also had aspirations of reaching the position they now hold?

More and more I find the AFL to be completely Mickey Mouse and backwater in its orientation.

Greystache
18-11-2014, 01:05 AM
Are the ego's in the AFL so big they can't work around being overseen for a position and not conduct themselves professionally over an extended period of time, or conversely, feel so insecure about having just attained a position and not be able to work with those who are within the business that also had aspirations of reaching the position they now hold?

More and more I find the AFL to be completely Mickey Mouse and backwater in its orientation.

It's not just the football industry. Have you seen how many senior executives have been exited from an Australian big 4 bank in recent months? A couple of people got huge promotions based on their demographic and have booted anyone who was better qualified and more capable than them. It's part and parcel of business.

Remi Moses
18-11-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm hoping he doesn't come back to be honest.
Far to much baggage at the club . Time for a change For Monty

jeemak
18-11-2014, 01:21 AM
It's not just the football industry. Have you seen how many senior executives have been exited from an Australian big 4 bank in recent months? A couple of people got huge promotions based on their demographic and have booted anyone who was better qualified and more capable than them. It's part and parcel of business.

OK then, business outside of the AFL also has a problem with egotistical behaviour as well (which is hardly a surprise). :)

Don't get me started on how ridiculous I think the culture and practices at Big Four banks are.

If it's an open market when you don't win out on a promotion opportunity then fair enough, go for your life and move on. Whether it's out of bitterness or genuine disappointment no bother as far as I'm concerned. Likewise, if there's plenty of skill in the market waiting to be employed cut a guy loose if he has too much ambition for you to be comfortable with.

If on the other hand the market is settled and opportunity one way or another is limited, surely some pragmatism comes into play and everyone gets their shit together. This is the situation we're in now, Beverige won't find too many available people of Monty's calibre, whilst Monty does't have too many vacant spots to choose from.

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

jeemak
18-11-2014, 01:26 AM
I'm hoping he doesn't come back to be honest.
Far to much baggage at the club . Time for a change For Monty

For mine the baggage left with Griffen, Cooney and Higgins, with McCartney being the collateral in them moving on.

I could be wrong, but I think Monty's influence on that situation is way over blown and an easy target for a very lazy media contingent, who if you take on board what's been said recently, has no close contact with the club.

1eyedog
18-11-2014, 08:40 AM

It's got little to do with egos. Monty wants to coach an AFL team but it won't be at the Dogs, especially if Beveridge has a good few years. He needs to make a pretty big decision about how best to realise his dream. He could show great character by staying but I'd be surprised if the best assistant coach out there didn't get a gig at another club and I guess that's what he's weighing up.

FrediKanoute
18-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Been in Monty's shoes and can't blame him. Hard to work with a guy who got the job you didn't because you have to adapt your style and opinions to theirs. Whatever way it works, Bevo in this case, my boss in mine, they are in charge and they will do things their way.

In my situation it took me 3 months to work out the guy was an idiot; 7 months to leave for a better job; and 2 years to be asked back to help clean up the mess he made......

Not saying that Bevo is the wrong choice (actually think he will be good), but completely empathise with what Monty is grappling with. You can't win them all and in choosing Bevo the club risked alienating Monty. They made that decision with full info and if I was Bevo I would want to bring at least one of my own people in.

Bulldog Revolution
18-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Garlick said Monty was still on leave in one of his radio spots

chef
18-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Hope we can hang onto him.

bornadog
18-11-2014, 10:03 AM
It's got little to do with egos. Monty wants to coach an AFL team but it won't be at the Dogs, especially if Beveridge has a good few years. He needs to make a pretty big decision about how best to realise his dream. He could show great character by staying but I'd be surprised if the best assistant coach out there didn't get a gig at another club and I guess that's what he's weighing up.

For his career sake, he is better off to land a job with another good coach and get his CV looking better if he wants the senior role at some stage.

Jam Donuts
18-11-2014, 11:46 AM

I call bullshit on that, as if a coach would miss the start of pre-season, rubbish, it would be nice to have a happy Monty with us, but if he is not happy and cant give 100% then he can go, the club is always bigger than the individual, always.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-11-2014, 11:47 AM
If he wants to stay and work with Bevo, happy for him to do that.

If he doesn't, find the door.

1eyedog
18-11-2014, 11:51 AM
For his career sake, he is better off to land a job with another good coach and get his CV looking better if he wants the senior role at some stage.

I agree. I reckon Rocket would be interested and it will give Monty an opportunity to be part of an outfit that is likely to play finals football for the next 5-6 years. If GC can pull off a Grand Final in 2-4 years and Monty is a part of it he'll likely get the main gig somewhere, perhaps even at somewhere like the Suns.

Bulldog Joe
18-11-2014, 11:55 AM

Actually for his career, he is best to be involved in a really successful program, wherever that is.

He can stay with us and work with the new coach to make the Bulldogs a successful group and give himself a real chance at a senior job elsewhere, or he can find a position with a group that has success for a similar outcome.

What he can't do is allow himself to drop out of the system as he will then probably never get back.

Mofra
18-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I agree. I reckon Rocket would be interested and it will give Monty an opportunity to be part of an outfit that is likely to play finals football for the next 5-6 years. If GC can pull off a Grand Final in 2-4 years and Monty is a part of it he'll likely get the main gig somewhere, perhaps even at somewhere like the Suns.
Didn't they have a falling out?
Monty working with Eade seems like a 1,000,000 to 1 shot.

1eyedog
18-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Didn't they have a falling out?
Monty working with Eade seems like a 1,000,000 to 1 shot.

I'm honestly not sure. I know there was some tension around the Brian Lake not fit enough comments and there was certainly a falling out with Rats. If there was a falling out with Eade it seems Monty has 'falling outs' wherever he goes.

You're right, actually come to think of it Monty being anywhere other than the Bulldogs would be C3PO kind of odds. He needs to hang around another year if he wants to stay in the system because he's really looking for a job at the wrong time.

Still, I hear there is a Director of coaching role at St. Kilda.

Twodogs
18-11-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm honestly not sure. I know there was some tension around the Brian Lake not fit enough comments and there was certainly a falling out with Rats. If there was a falling out with Eade it seems Monty has 'falling outs' wherever he goes.

You're right, actually come to think of it Monty being anywhere other than the Bulldogs would be C3PO kind of odds. He needs to hang around another year if he wants to stay in the system because he's really looking for a job at the wrong time.

Still, I hear there is a Director of coaching role at St. Kilda.

We'd want compensation. It's not our fault they don't have a Director of coaching.

BulldogBelle
18-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Monty loves the Bulldogs, he was so distressed when he was traded to Port and elated when he got back to the kennel in a coaching role.

As an assistant coach he has been fantastic under extremely trying circumstances.

He always gave his all yet we spurned him once, then we spurned him twice.

I hope that he is advised to stay at the Bulldogs and work brilliantly with integrity and a break for a senior coaching position will surely come. He is highly regarded and the fans love him.

GVGjr
18-11-2014, 06:22 PM

Hopefully Stevo has this wrong

soupman
18-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Could it be possible that Monty sacrificed part of his leave to go through the application process, so we could possibly be repaying him now to allow him to have a break?

Remi Moses
18-11-2014, 09:59 PM
I'd heard on the weekend he has left

Dry Rot
18-11-2014, 10:10 PM
I'd heard on the weekend he has left

Good. Glad to hear that.

Maddog37
18-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Good. Glad to hear that.

A bit harsh. He has bled for the club.

The Doctor
18-11-2014, 11:01 PM
I like Monty, I hope he stays but I doubt it will happen now.

if he goes we need to find 2 new assistant coaches. Good luck Bevo!

LostDoggy
18-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Hope monty stays,can't see it happening though.
Can't blame him if he leaves either.

bornadog
19-11-2014, 12:06 AM
I like Monty, I hope he stays but I doubt it will happen now.

if he goes we need to find 2 new assistant coaches. Good luck Bevo!

Why two?

bulldogtragic
19-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Why two?

Shannon Grant.

bornadog
19-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Shannon Grant.

Didn't Gia replace him?

bulldogtragic
19-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Didn't Gia replace him?

Not sure, Gia was appointed to a development role. Did he get promoted to forward coach?

Also Moons and Scarlett gone too. On top of Monty & Grant. On top of Macca.

Maybe it's easier to say whose staying of the AFL coaches. Rohan Smith.

Dry Rot
19-11-2014, 12:12 AM

From what I have heard, a couple of our ex coaches agree with me.

The Underdog
19-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Not sure, Gia was appointed to a development role. Did he get promoted to forward coach?

Also Moons and Scarlett gone too. On top of Monty & Grant. On top of Macca.

Maybe it's easier to say whose staying of the AFL coaches. Rohan Smith.

Yep, Gia forwards, Corey mids, Smith backs, King rucks.

chef
19-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Good. Glad to hear that.

That's just wrong.

chef
19-11-2014, 07:14 AM

Where have you heard this?

KT31
19-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Certainly did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-z7Dqv8XrY

1eyedog
19-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Good. Glad to hear that.

Monty was a very good player and he put his head over the ball no doubt but if he has stirred up trouble behind closed doors at the club - and there is a fair bit of innuendo going around that he has - then the best result for all concerned would be that he leave the club.

DR seems to have heard something about Monty that displeases him and has simply stated that he is glad that he has left (if this is true). In this context I didn't think it was an overly harsh comment. It was Monty's job to put his head over the ball and earn his money but that doesn't provide him with the right to cause bedlam behind closed doors as assistant coach.

Remi Moses
19-11-2014, 02:44 PM
This whole notion of " bleeding for the club " doesn't give anyone a green light .
The players keep saying its a job and physical contact is part of the job description.

Maddog37
19-11-2014, 03:24 PM
I want him gone too but I still feel there are better ways to say it than the way DR did. Just saying......

Twodogs
19-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Why two?

Senior Assistant-Monty and the position Simon Garlickwas talking about at the Presser to announce Luke Beveridge's appointment-the mentor type role.

bornadog
19-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Senior Assistant-Monty and the position Simon Garlickwas talking about at the Presser to announce Luke Beveridge's appointment-the mentor type role.

or they may roll that into one.

1eyedog
19-11-2014, 06:27 PM
or they may roll that into one.

A Senior Assistant and a Director of Coaching type role have vastly different job descriptions.

GVGjr
19-11-2014, 06:44 PM

There may be something to it but you haven't really explained why you want him gone? We talked about Macca's replacement for a while where Montgomery's name was right in the mix and I can't recall you writing him off beforehand.

BulldogBelle
19-11-2014, 07:56 PM
What bedlam did he create?
Was it in relation to getting rid of a dud and abusive coach?
He loved the club, I remember that he cried quite openly when he got traded to Port.

A lot of supporters are just thoughtless.

1eyedog
19-11-2014, 08:21 PM
He loved the club, I remember that he cried quite openly when he got traded to Port.

No idea - as per my post just innuendo so I'm speculating. I guess the controversy started after the Lake comments. I'm not fussed if he stays or goes to be honest, however, stating, apparently unequivocally, that Macca was an abusive coach is pretty thoughtless too I would think - unless of course you know 100% what really went on.

GVGjr
19-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Quite a contradiction.

Dry Rot
19-11-2014, 08:42 PM
There may be something to it but you haven't really explained why you want him gone? We talked about Macca's replacement for a while where Montgomery's name was right in the mix and I can't recall you writing him off beforehand.

FWIW I just wanted Williams.

I have read from some good posters elsewhere allegations that Montgomery wasn't exactly supportive of two of our coaches.

Dry Rot
19-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Monty was a very good player and he put his head over the ball no doubt but if he has stirred up trouble behind closed doors at the club - and there is a fair bit of innuendo going around that he has - then the best result for all concerned would be that he leave the club.

DR seems to have heard something about Monty that displeases him and has simply stated that he is glad that he has left (if this is true). In this context I didn't think it was an overly harsh comment. It was Monty's job to put his head over the ball and earn his money but that doesn't provide him with the right to cause bedlam behind closed doors as assistant coach.

Well said. I meant no slight on him as a player.

chef
19-11-2014, 08:45 PM
FWIW I just wanted Williams.

I have read from some good posters elsewhere allegations that Montgomery wasn't exactly supportive of two of our coaches.

BigFooty?

G-Mo77
19-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Can't understand the dislike for Monty. A couple of rumors from clowns in the media and he's satan. The guy ran 2nd for the head coaching role, he obviously knows what he's doing.

GVGjr
19-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Can't understand the dislike for Monty. A couple of rumors from clowns in the media and he's satan. The guy ran 2nd for the head coaching role, he obviously knows what he's doing.

Agreed, I can understand why some might prefer others to Monty but I can't see why some have a real set against him.

chef
19-11-2014, 10:46 PM

Yep.

Remi Moses
19-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Where all dancing around an allegation that he white-anted First Ratten then McCartney.
If he has, he goes . If he hasn't (and I'd assume that big players at the club would surely know) he has a role to play.

Dry Rot
19-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Where all dancing around an allegation that he white-anted First Ratten then McCartney.
If he has, he goes . If he hasn't (and I'd assume that big players at the club would surely know) he has a role to play.

You could add Eade to that list.

Dry Rot
19-11-2014, 10:57 PM
BigFooty?

Yes.

1eyedog
19-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Yeah I don't have anything against him as an assistant coach and certainly nothing against him as a player - but IF the clowns in the media are correct then his position at the club is untenable.

Twodogs
19-11-2014, 11:01 PM

Agree. The guy is pretty good at his role otherwise he wouldn't have been given the best assistant award at the AFL coaches association awards.

I don't mind if he or the club want to sever ties but I think it would show the mark of the man if he returned to the club and continued to do excellent work with our players this year. If I was hiring a senior AFL coach in the future* that sort of selflessness and determination would impress me.

*Not that I am likely to be appointing any AFL coaches.

F'scary
20-11-2014, 12:52 AM
With respect to Montgomery not getting the coach's job twice, we should remember Confucius' famous words: "panties not best thing but next to best thing..." Perhaps Montgomery is sick of being the panties?

Bulldog Revolution
20-11-2014, 08:03 AM
A lot of this is very unfair on Monty

Ratten was completely dysfunctional and thats why he was asked to leave the club for whom he was a favourite son.

My view is that whilst Eade was a great coach, at the end of his time with us he had lost the plot and was so desperate to get another contract that I doubt he saw anything clearly.

Macca cannot blame Monty for falling out with Griffen, Cooney, Higgins etc - its Maccas fault he is no longer with us. I for one am very disappointed in him for neglecting coaching 101.

A good head coach should be hiring contemporaries as assistants, not subordinates (yes men) - thats what Clarkson has done over the years

chef
20-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Yes.

Ok, I'd be taking that with a huge grain of salt then.

1eyedog
20-11-2014, 10:54 AM
A lot of this is very unfair on Monty

Ratten was completely dysfunctional and thats why he was asked to leave the club for whom he was a favourite son.

My view is that whilst Eade was a great coach, at the end of his time with us he had lost the plot and was so desperate to get another contract that I doubt he saw anything clearly.

Macca cannot blame Monty for falling out with Griffen, Cooney, Higgins etc - its Maccas fault he is no longer with us. I for one am very disappointed in him for neglecting coaching 101.

A good head coach should be hiring contemporaries as assistants, not subordinates (yes men) - thats what Clarkson has done over the years

This is becoming a bit cyclical because obviously we just don't know the ends and outs of it.

You have effectively steamrolled three very good people in your defence of Monty. Ratten was actually a very effective coach at Carlton with a 50% strike rate and he took them to a number of final series during his tenure after they were playing poorly under [Pagan] was it? I can't remember, anyway, they were playing crap footy and Ratts turned them around.

The Carlton coaching position is a pressure cooker if there ever was one. The entire club got their hopes up with some good performances and expected that buying Judd would effectively buy them a flag, when it didn't happen someone had to be the scapegoat. The Gold Coast loss effectively ended Ratten's tenure at the club but it was the way the club handled his exit around the whole Malthouse fiasco that was pretty ordinary for him. I would argue that the club treated Ratten far worse than he the club.

Did Eade lose the plot? I agree we needed to part ways but how did he lose the plot? Most coaches struggle with rolling down the side of the mountain only to land amongst a list that is generally exhausted and depleted. Having a number of high draft picks not come on exacerbated his problems but I thought he held it together ok and his departure was all class - seemed like a man in control of his thoughts and emotions.

Again, if you know that it was all Macca's fault that Griffen, Cooney and Higgins left the club then fair enough - even though Griffen and Cooney tell another story. It could be equally argued that Macca broke the senior player syndicate that was happening at the club.

It could also be equally argued that you are being unfair on Eade, Ratten and Macca and it seems slightly odd to me that Monty may have fallen out with all three in the past. I guess this is because he was not a yes man which also questions whether an assistant should be a contemporary to the head coach as your say or whether he should learn to be somewhere in between.

Bulldog4life
20-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Yes.

Take anything you read on there with a grain of salt Dry Rot.

Bulldog Revolution
20-11-2014, 12:33 PM
This is becoming a bit cyclical because obviously we just don't know the ends and outs of it.

Did Eade lose the plot? I agree we needed to part ways but how did he lose the plot? Most coaches struggle with rolling down the side of the mountain only to land amongst a list that is generally exhausted and depleted. Having a number of high draft picks not come on exacerbated his problems but I thought he held it together ok and his departure was all class - seemed like a man in control of his thoughts and emotions.

Again, if you know that it was all Macca's fault that Griffen, Cooney and Higgins left the club then fair enough - even though Griffen and Cooney tell another story. It could be equally argued that Macca broke the senior player syndicate that was happening at the club.

It could also be equally argued that you are being unfair on Eade, Ratten and Macca and it seems slightly odd to me that Monty may have fallen out with all three in the past. I guess this is because he was not a yes man which also questions whether an assistant should be a contemporary to the head coach as your say or whether he should learn to be somewhere in between.

You seem to want to tee off on me for daring to have a different opinion to yours and expressing it

I do agree that there is a lot we don't know, but there is nowhere in my post where I steamroll those three.

I didn't state it, but I also agree that Ratten was a good coach, but in his dealings with those inside the club he was dysfunctional to the point they didn't believe he could take them forward which given his record says something - Sticks and co would not have wanted to have sacked him but felt strongly enough to do so.

I stated Eade was a great coach for us - but IMO he lost the plot. Perhaps thats too harsh, but I believe he had come to the end of his useful time with us (relations with Lake and Minson to me were symptomatic of it). I don't blame him for feeling the stress of coaching for his job, or solely for the list being in the position that Fantasia, Eade and co allowed it to get into. None of this discounts him being one of the best coaches in our history.

Macca has commented in radio and news articles that he believed relationships with the players could have been repaired. I don't blame him for Griffen, Cooney and Higgins leaving the club, but his relations with them to get to the point where they did does not suggest a coach who was on top of his game.

My view is that you want an assistant who will challenge you and think differently but one who will also work as part of a coaching team. The question is whether Monty wants to do that with us? and can do that productively? He needs to have a quick soul search and make up his mind.

But Im not prepared to accept that Monty is a bad guy because Mark Robinson is better mates with Macca than Monty and is happy to write a story potting him, or because Eade was disappointed he wasn't re-appointed.

Bulldog Revolution
20-11-2014, 12:34 PM

You seem to want to tee off on me for daring to have a different opinion to yours and expressing it

I do agree that there is a lot we don't know, but there is nowhere in my post where I steamroll those three.

I didn't state it, but I also agree that Ratten was a good coach, but in his dealings with those inside the club he was dysfunctional to the point they didn't believe he could take them forward which given his record says something - Sticks and co would not have wanted to have sacked him but felt strongly enough to do so.

I stated Eade was a great coach for us - but IMO he lost the plot. Perhaps thats too harsh, but I believe he had come to the end of his useful time with us (relations with Lake and Minson to me were symptomatic of it). I don't blame him for feeling the stress of coaching for his job, or solely for the list being in the position that Fantasia, Eade and co allowed it to get into. None of this discounts him being one of the best coaches in our history.

Macca has commented in radio and news articles that he believed relationships with the players could have been repaired. I don't blame him for Griffen, Cooney and Higgins leaving the club, but his relations with them to get to the point where they did does not suggest a coach who was on top of his game.

My view is that you want an assistant who will challenge you and think differently but one who will also work as part of a coaching team. The question is whether Monty wants to do that with us? and can do that productively? He needs to have a quick soul search and make up his mind.

But Im not prepared to accept that Monty is a bad guy because Mark Robinson is better mates with Macca than Monty and is happy to write a story potting him, or because Eade was disappointed he wasn't re-appointed.

bornadog
20-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Just to set the story right, Eade had no major problems with Monty. He was disappointed with the way he spoke in the press a couple of times eg, calling Lake soft for not working through his injuries, but other than that they got along fine. I am sure Monty learnt something about public relations and what you say and don't say to the press.

1eyedog
20-11-2014, 01:25 PM

I'm not teeing off on you I'm providing another view. Perhaps steamrolled is a poor choice of words but you had no problem saying that Rocket 'lost the plot' and that Ratten was 'dysfunctional' and that it was all Macca's fault that we lost Griffen and Cooney, these are your, fairly strong, words and I thought my defence of them was fairly measured, certainly not insulting and provided another point of view?

My comments are a direct response to your post and you've included my post above where I conceded that if you knew what was going on at the time fair enough and even if you didn't and it was just your opinion then I'll say here that that's ok too. Actually, if you read my posts above your opinion is no different than mine re. Monty, I respected Monty as a player and as an assistant and I was merely speculating on what is coming out in the media and that is often all we have to go on when we make comments on this board. Where we differ was our thoughts on Ratten, Eade and Macca and while I agree they all had a big hand in their undoing there were certainly other factors at play rather than them simply being dysfunctional, out of control and, in the case of Macca, leaving solely due his own failings as a coach.

LostDoggy
20-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Maybe it was Monty who went to the board and told them of possible communicating problems between Macca and the players.
Not to white ant Macca but to only have the best intrests of the club at heart.

GVGjr
20-11-2014, 08:08 PM
It's being reported that Monty will be discussing his future with the club next week

G-Mo77
20-11-2014, 08:40 PM
It's being reported that Monty will be discussing his future with the club next week

Excellent.

jeemak
20-11-2014, 08:51 PM
From what I have been told Ratten wasn't seen as a person who could coach very well by those who worked for him for a number of reasons, and to be honest I don't think his results were anything above par considering the players Carlton had at their disposal at the time. Perhaps he didn't manage his staff very well, and perhaps the Carlton coterie groups have more power than the president at that particular club.

McCartney had an issue with communication within the last four to six months of his coaching tenure (about 15% of the time he was there) and was strung up for it, if you believe what's been written in the press. Irrespective of what comes next, I think the club is better for having lost the senior players we did.

chef
20-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Great news, hopefully he's happy with a senior assistant role.

F'scary
20-11-2014, 09:20 PM

Sounds ominous.

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Glass half full or empty???

Daughter of the West
21-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Glass half full or empty???

Surely as a Bulldog supporter it's always half empty?

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Brendan Curry and Williamstown have parted ways.............

KT31
21-11-2014, 11:06 AM

Only if you read the papers, personally at this stage I'm very happy with the road we are on and its up to Monty if he wants to be part of it.

azabob
21-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Brendan Curry and Williamstown have parted ways.............

Relevance?

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Relevance?

Monty has been passed over at least twice now. Perhaps he cuts his teeth with his own team in the level below if he wants a top job at AFL level in the future.

azabob
21-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Monty has been passed over at least twice now. Perhaps he cuts his teeth with his own team in the level below if he wants a top job at AFL level in the future.

Isn't Curry the CEO not the coach?

Axe Man
21-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Isn't Curry the CEO not the coach?

Yep, Andy Collins is the coach.

bornadog
21-11-2014, 02:47 PM
From Twitter:

Western Bulldogs ‏@westernbulldogs (https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs) 1h (https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/535609724415123456)1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/535609724415123456)
Beveridge: Brett Montgomery will start back on Monday, he’s got a unique skill set that we need, I look forward to having him back.

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Good, I'm glad he's back. Apart from anything else it would have put us behind the 8-ball in finding a replacement and he obviously has a good understanding with our list. Hope he and the coach develop a good working relationship.

hujsh
21-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Worth hanging onto this year for his knowledge of the players alone.

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Yep, Andy Collins is the coach.

Stand corrected, for some reason i though Curry was coach last year after German left.

chef
21-11-2014, 03:37 PM
From Twitter:

Excellent news.

Bulldog Revolution
21-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Yes, its the honeymoon phase but Beveridge has been decisive and impressive

Remi Moses
21-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Might put paid to the innuendo of White anting .
Would think Monty would be shown the door of it was the case.

chef
21-11-2014, 04:11 PM

Yep.

Twodogs
21-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Best decision allround I think.

Maddog37
21-11-2014, 04:13 PM

I reckon you can't be a Doggie fan without being a glass half full type or you would have lost your mind by now!

lemmon
21-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Good call, he's a committed Bulldogs man and players obviously rate him. It's a nice sign of confidence he's willing to work under Beveridge

Max469
21-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Well it has been a good day for me. Robbie as captain and Monty still at the club. Very happy now. Just gotta stop crying tears of joy

ratsmac
21-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Good news that Monty has decided to stay on. It shows great character as well to suck it up and continue on 100% under the person who got the position that he applied for. This is a real positive for the club.

bornadog
21-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Role for Monty to be sorted out

Meanwhile, Beveridge has confirmed assistant Brett Montgomery will rejoin the club next Monday.

After missing out on the top job to Beveridge, Montgomery took a week to gather his thoughts and assess his options.

His role will be decided when the club's coaches meet next week.

"I caught up with him yesterday, actually," Beveridge said of his meeting with Montgomery.

"He starts back on Monday, which is great, so I'm looking forward to working with him.

"He's got such a unique skill set and he's very, very experienced. I need him, we need him and he knows that and he's really looking forward to coming back."

Hotdog60
21-11-2014, 07:25 PM
The best thing for Monty will be for us to make a grand final. This season won the best ass. coach award, next season helps Bevo get the dogs into GF. Any club in need of a coach should be knocking his door down.

Oh by the way, it would also be better for us supporters. :)

ratsmac
21-11-2014, 07:54 PM
The best thing for Monty will be for us to make a grand final. This season won the best ass. coach award, next season helps Bevo get the dogs into GF. Any club in need of a coach should be knocking his door down.

I love the way you think hotdog

josie
21-11-2014, 07:56 PM

Can go one better - let's win the bloody thing !! Oh happy day...

Dry Rot
22-11-2014, 02:17 AM

Time will tell. Could be interesting to revisit end of season next year.

jeemak
22-11-2014, 02:33 AM
The Club needs Montgomery, and Montgomery needs the club. For now.

I posted earlier in the thread that ego's in this situation need to sit to one side for pragmatic reasons. Hopefully they can keep it together and get a good result for the club and themselves.

Let's see how the media plays this one out.

Hotdog60
22-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Can go one better - let's win the bloody thing !! Oh happy day...

I thought that as well but I was trying to be conservative because it's a young side. So I settled on get in next year and then go for the 5 peat after that. :)

SonofScray
22-11-2014, 09:56 AM
I keep going back to Monty's efforts in the 2006 final v Collingwood. In that game he embodied the values we absolutely love and rally around as Footscray people, he is a resilient man. It seems to me he has carried that into his coaching career. I know the "boys club" idea has been heavily scrutinised and we are forever looking for the magic potion from outside the Club, sometimes to the point of a cultural cringe, but I like the fact a guy who played for us in the manner he did is at the Club in a leadership capacity.

I'm glad he is going to contribute to this next phase in the Club's history and really hope it either launches him into senior opportunities elsewhere. Or gives him a great deal of satisfaction and success that he stays at the Kennel as a long term, skilled contributor.

Twodogs
22-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I keep going back to Monty's efforts in the 2006 final v Collingwood. In that game he embodied the values we absolutely love and rally around as Footscray people, he is a resilient man. It seems to me he has carried that into his coaching career. I know the "boys club" idea has been heavily scrutinised and we are forever looking for the magic potion from outside the Club, sometimes to the point of a cultural cringe, but I like the fact a guy who played for us in the manner he did is at the Club in a leadership capacity.

I'm glad he is going to contribute to this next phase in the Club's history and really hope it either launches him into senior opportunities elsewhere. Or gives him a great deal of satisfaction and success that he stays at the Kennel as a long term, skilled contributor.

Well said SoS. Monty is exactly the sort of bloke we should be valuing at our club.

chef
22-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Well said SoS. Monty is exactly the sort of bloke we should be valuing at our club.

He is, surprised a few were quick to judge him after reading crap on BigFooty or the stuff Slobbo wrote in the Hun(he probs got his intel from there anyway).

BulldogBelle
22-11-2014, 12:31 PM
So happy that Monty has accepted the role at the Bulldogs. His chance for a senior position will come, but just not now. Just to keep going with integrity and good works.

He kept his Bulldogs membership up all the time he was at Port Adelaide. One of the Bulldog greats.

EasternWest
22-11-2014, 02:40 PM
From Twitter:

Perfectly worded, with no grey areas. I like the conviction of the statement.

I watched the highlights of that game (still one of my favourite days at the footy) and it's easy to see why we were coming into a good era for our club. So many good players, plenty of experience as well.

It was a good to see guys like Robbins and Monty in our colours again. They always left everything on the field.

If our coach is happy to have Monty there, that's good enough for me.

The Doctor
22-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Monty has a chance to become a legendary figure.

If he stays, which I pray he does, the admiration from the Bulldog faithful will be enormous. It will have meant he has put his ego and disappointment at missing the senior coaching job 2nd and the club first. Thats a big statement of loyalty in this modern day of footy greed.

And couldn't the club use this after the Griffen, Macartney, Cooney, Higgins, Tutt, Jones exodus?

Stay with us Monty, we never wanted you to go as a player and now neither as a coach.

The Doctor
22-11-2014, 04:49 PM

If he stays, which I pray he does, the admiration from the Bulldog faithful will be enormous. It will have meant he has put his ego and disappointment at missing the senior coaching job 2nd and the club first. Thats a big statement of loyalty in this modern day of footy greed.

And couldn't the club use this after the Griffen, Macartney, Cooney, Higgins, Tutt, Jones exodus?

Stay with us Monty, we never wanted you to go as a player and now neither as a coach.

Posted that without reading the updates. Go Monty!! You Legend!

Hot_Doggies
22-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Settle down Dr, assistant coach of the year is a stretch but legendary figure?!?

KT31
23-11-2014, 02:10 AM

Really who can name the last five Coaches let alone the last five assistants, the players leaving and Monty are two different matters.

The Doctor
23-11-2014, 12:33 PM
I think you guys are missing my point.

Raw Toast
23-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Agreed. Having someone with that passion, history and institutional and cultural memory decide to stay with the club is super - very interesting to see Beveridge say that not only the club needed Monty to stay, but Beveridge needed him to stay on as well.