PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Bob Murphy

Eastdog
21-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Just a short while ago just announced Bob Murphy is our new captain.

KT31
21-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Great news and well done to Bobby, a more passionate Captain we may never have had.

Cyberdoggie
21-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Great news and well done to Bobby, a more passionate Captain we may never have had.

Very proud and passionate man but I'd wager E.J. might give him a run for his money.;)

always right
21-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Predictable but absolutely the right decision. So happy that one of our most passionate players of all time has been given this honour. Richly deserved.

Now bring Stringer into the leadership group.

Murphy'sLore
21-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Congratulations, Bob. A well-deserved acknowledgement. You've been our spiritual leader for a while now, now you'll be our on-field leader too.

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 02:23 PM
So happy for Bobby, thoroughly deserved

Webby
21-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Sometimes things happen that are just right.

dadsgirl16
21-11-2014, 03:09 PM
yay!!!

Remi Moses
21-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Good safe hands .

bulldogtragic
21-11-2014, 03:30 PM
I want to see some rascal at the coin toss. Ala how when Carey lost the toss he would point the opposite way to winning captain to make it look like he won. Happy for Bob, but it's a short term appointment. I look forward to seeing the pups stand up to be our next captain, God knows there's plenty of candidates. Good news story.

Bulldog Revolution
21-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Its overused as a catch cry these days but:

In Bob We Trust

Watch this and replace Rod with Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkePTF26Tmc

The bulldog tragician
21-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Such wonderful news. I wonder if history would have been different if this call was made a year ago. But this is exactly what we need to hear after the lows of the off season, but Bob has to be one of our most beloved players of all time, he's just always seemed to be a perfect fit for us. Bring on 2015!

whythelongface
21-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Love this decision. Well done Bob and well done Luke.

Max469
21-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Very very happy. Love him to death.

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Congratulations Bob. Lets hope you're our next premiership captain! Dare to dream

BornInDroopSt'54
21-11-2014, 05:51 PM
As posted on other thread:
Congratulations Bob,
You were born for this moment and era in the club's history. Up the Irish, up the lapsed catholic, up the skinny skilled, up the intelligent wacker, up the mighty Bulldogs!

ratsmac
21-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Congrats Bob! He seems like a ripping bloke and I am a proud Footscray Western Bulldogs supporter today knowing he is our captain.

It turns out that bob is not just ya uncle, he's your captain too!!

Twodogs
21-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Good appointment. I think that Bob will make a fine captain.

Twodogs
21-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Any news on the leadership group?

bornadog
21-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Any news on the leadership group?

Here

Beveridge also said there was "some water to go under the bridge" before the club elected its leadership group for 2015.

EasternWest
21-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Predictable but absolutely the right decision. So happy that one of our most passionate players of all time has been given this honour. Richly deserved.

Now bring Stringer into the leadership group.

A servant, warrior and touch of class all rolled into one. Just dues for a terrific career.

I'm with you 100%. At this stage, Stringer is our next captain for mine.

Bulldog4life
21-11-2014, 07:37 PM
A true blue Bulldog Murph who will make a great captain. All our family just love this guy.

josie
21-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Bulldogs Bob, Congratulations.

I've spine tingles thinking about you leading our young lads in 2015. You will be a superb Captain who is already beloved by all who bleed red, white and blue.

PedroArvy
21-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Clearly this was a good decision. I can't understand why Griffen was ever considered as captain given Bob's presence and eagerness for the role. Who stuffed up on the Griffen appointment?

F'scary
21-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Clearly this was a good decision. I can't understand why Griffen was ever considered as captain given Bob's presence and eagerness for the role. Who stuffed up on the Griffen appointment?

This says what I was thinking.

bulldogtragic
21-11-2014, 09:08 PM

I think it took the whole team all doing badly to get the result we did. I recall Boyd saying he was standing down in part to see Griffen rise to level he should as a player/leader (or similar). Macca backed it. Club endorsed it. Team effort.

G-Mo77
21-11-2014, 09:09 PM

It's great to hear how enthusiastic he is about the role and surprising after hearing all that he was overlooked for that other guy.

I think he'll be a fine captain for the club.

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Its overused as a catch cry these days but:

In Bob We Trust

Watch this and replace Rod with Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkePTF26Tmc

The Ambassador Of Quan.

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Congrats Bobby!

Lead the young pups to the promised land that you so richly deserve!

Twodogs
21-11-2014, 10:57 PM
It's great to hear how enthusiastic he is about the role and surprising after hearing all that he was overlooked for that other guy.

I think he'll be a fine captain for the club.

Murph said that he'd never considered the captaincy until now, but decided to come forward when he thought he could help. So I don't think he was in the running when Griff was appointed. But there is an argument to say that we should have looked harder at the alternatives.

If some of us are born to greatness and others have it thrust upon them, then Bob qualifies on both counts.

Twodogs
21-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Bulldogs Bob, Congratulations.

I've spine tingles thinking about you leading our young lads in 2015. You will be a superb Captain who is already beloved by all who bleed red, white and blue.

Cap'n Murphy.

BulldogBelle
21-11-2014, 11:57 PM
We could not ask for a more dedicated person to become captain in our time of need.

All hail Captain Bob.

BeMoreBob

LostDoggy
22-11-2014, 02:11 AM
Murphy has contradicted his law again! Could not be happier:)

Dry Rot
22-11-2014, 02:24 AM
Good news. Always really liked Murphy.

Also means he gets to choose the music in the dressing room. :D

jeemak
22-11-2014, 02:40 AM
Good choice. I think Murphy has two years in him to finish up and I couldn't be happier for him to finish as captain for at least one of those.

SonofScray
22-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Father Bob Murphy.

I am really pleased to see Bob at the helm of this playing squad. He is one of us, in that phrase's truest sense. Might not have been born a bulldog but has walked into our Club, embraced its narrative, reframed the the things we shy away from as part of the journey to the Promised Land and been a heck of a performer as well. Love the bloke.

The Underdog
22-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Obviously a great choice both for his love of the history and spirit of the club and his inclusive personality. Also comfortable in the media and the fact that many clearly respect the man and the writer can't hurt, especially if we have a rough trot at any stage.

Dancin' Douggy
22-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Such wonderful news. I wonder if history would have been different if this call was made a year ago. But this is exactly what we need to hear after the lows of the off season, but Bob has to be one of our most beloved players of all time, he's just always seemed to be a perfect fit for us. Bring on 2015!

I would have made this call 4 years ago when Boyd was made captain......still.........better late than never!

bornadog
22-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Good choice. I think Murphy has two years in him to finish up and I couldn't be happier for him to finish as captain for at least one of those.

If he holds up and plays in 2016, he will have over 300 games to his name, a great achievement.

LostDoggy
22-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Would love to see him play 2 years and make 300 games for the dogs.

EasternWest
22-11-2014, 02:20 PM

He'd be a truly deserving guy to climb into that company. If his fitness holds and he doesn't slip over the "over 30" cliff, there's no reason why he won't.

Twodogs
22-11-2014, 03:26 PM

I'd love to see him play 2 years and play in a Grand Final with the dogs. Just imagine Bob Murphy up on the dais with the premiership cup in his hand in his 300th game. I'd really love to see that.

hujsh
22-11-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm amazed a guy with his injury history is anywhere near 300 games

boydogs
22-11-2014, 04:46 PM
I'd love to see him play 2 years and play in a Grand Final with the dogs. Just imagine Bob Murphy up on the dais with the premiership cup in his hand in his 300th game. I'd really love to see that.

If he played 22 games in 2015 and 25 in 2016 he'd be on 318 games. Are you wishing injury on him? :D

divvydan
22-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Murph has one of those skinny bodies that can just go for years and years. If he keeps his pace, he could still play at 35-36.

Twodogs
22-11-2014, 07:30 PM
If he played 22 games in 2015 and 25 in 2016 he'd be on 318 games. Are you wishing injury on him? :D

I didn't say which of the 2 years he would be Holding the cup aloft. I expect it to be next year after 4 drawn GFs.

KT31
23-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Very proud and passionate man but I'd wager E.J. might give him a run for his money.;)

I know what you mean and I will put Dougie and Grant in the same category as EJ, but I will go out on a limb and suggest this more meaningful to Murph than those fore mentioned.

LostDoggy
23-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Heartiest congratulations Bob on your auspicious appointment. Not before time either.
Irish, Murphys and Ireland are starting to take over the Sporting World!!
Won the Rugby Union last night.
Captain of Ireland in International Rules was a Murphy.
Bob to lead Dogs to Holy Grail!!

Rocco Jones
23-11-2014, 06:55 PM
I know what you mean and I will put Dougie and Grant in the same category as EJ, but I will go out on a limb and suggest this more meaningful to Murph than those fore mentioned.

Really playing with fire comparing how much our legends love the club but I am going with Charlie as number 1.

EJ did more for the game/Victoria. Charlie rocked up to training until he was too sick. Dougie loses lots of points due to way too many stupid comments. Love him and all comparing him to some pretty good servants of the club!!! I have Johnno ahead of Doug.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Really playing with fire comparing how much our legends love the club but I am going with Charlie as number 1.

EJ did more for the game/Victoria. Charlie rocked up to training until he was too sick. Dougie loses lots of points due to way too many stupid comments. Love him and all comparing him to some pretty good servants of the club!!! I have Johnno ahead of Doug.
Let's not forget the outstanding contribution of John Schultz who together with his late wife Elaine initiated the two editions of the outstanding Bulldogs Heritage publications. Schultz has had a proud ongoing 55 year association with the WB. Schultz is an AFL Life member and WB Life member. He was a State representative in his first 10 years as a Bulldogs player and won 5 Club best and fairest awards, in addition to being one of only 4 club legends in Sutton, Whitten Schultz and Hawkins. John Schultz rarely misses a Bulldogs game and in his playing days was considered to be one of the three outstanding ruck men of his day together with John Nicholls and Polly Farmer. Schultz also served on the tribunal for a period of 25 years and is revered by both current and former players and officials.

bornadog
25-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Let's not forget the outstanding contribution of John Schultz who together with his late wife Elaine initiated the two editions of the outstanding Bulldogs Heritage publications. Schultz has had a proud ongoing 55 year association with the WB. Schultz is an AFL Life member and WB Life member. He was a State representative in his first 10 years as a Bulldogs player and won 5 Club best and fairest awards, in addition to being one of only 4 club legends in Sutton, Whitten Schultz and Hawkins. John Schultz rarely misses a Bulldogs game and in his playing days was considered to be one of the three outstanding ruck men of his day together with John Nicholls and Polly Farmer. Schultz also served on the tribunal for a period of 25 years and is revered by both current and former players and officials.

One of the true greats of our club, and don't forget his Brownlow as well.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-11-2014, 05:40 PM
One of the true greats of our club, and don't forget his Brownlow as well.

Thanks BAD for the timely reminder.

Bulldog4life
28-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks BAD for the timely reminder.

From his very first game I think he played 160 odd games straight. A terrific effort. He never got the accolades as Farmer or Nicholls did but he was right up with them. I saw him beat Nicholls comprehensively at Whitten Oval one day.