PDA

View Full Version : Seb's dream dogs day

always right
22-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Saw an edited version of this story on nine news. Here's the full version. One of the best club video's I've seen. Seb appears to be a pretty deep thinker. Congrats to the club for putting this together.

Kudos to Easton Wood, Jake Stringer, Libba and Bonts for really engaging with young Seb.

www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-11-21/sebs-dream-dogs-day

bornadog
22-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks for posting really enjoyed the story. Love to see passionate kids following the club.

Webby
22-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Smart kid: Bob Murphy.

ratsmac
22-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Lucky kid!

Throughandthrough
22-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Am guessing that the young fella is a Central Districts fan as well. Nice video

AndrewP6
22-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Good video.

Eastdog
23-11-2014, 12:47 AM
Really liked that video. Great to see a youngster from interstate passionate about our club.

KT31
23-11-2014, 01:50 AM
Glad the kid is on board not quite the young fan trying to get Grant to re-sign story.

Throughandthrough
23-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Glad the kid is on board not quite the young fan trying to get Grant to re-sign story.

I was always suspicious about the Grant video! How old was the young fella when he sent the letter to Grant? From my vague memories he didn't seem old enough to have written it. I wonder if he is still a dogs fan?

anfo27
23-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Love seeing stuff like this. This is a memory that Seb and his parents will remember forever and its important its a positive memory.

I remember a few years back when Lyon was coach of the saints and after a win on a Friday night Lyon grabbed a young saints fan from the crowd and took him into the rooms to sing the song. Not really a fan of Lyon but thought that was an awesome thing to do.

Another story i have is my brother in-law' partner is a teacher in rural Victoria. The school she teachers at is a Richmond zone and she is also a tigers fan. One day a year or 2 back a group of players came to the school to do a footy clinic. She as well as the students were excited to meet some of their heroes. Unfortunately for them their experiences were a negative one because the players were very rude and showed little interest in the kids at all. I even heard that Deledio told one of the kids to f off as well as tell the school that one of the players nicknames was predator because he dated a lot of young females. These are memories these kids will remember forever.

Would be disgusted if i heard that about some of our players. I know they are just footy players but they need to take more responsibility and realise that these experiences leave lasting impressions on the club as well as themselves.

BulldogBelle
23-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Fantastic video.
Tuff job for Seb to follow the bulldogs in South Australia of all places.

1eyedog
25-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Love seeing stuff like this. This is a memory that Seb and his parents will remember forever and its important its a positive memory.

I remember a few years back when Lyon was coach of the saints and after a win on a Friday night Lyon grabbed a young saints fan from the crowd and took him into the rooms to sing the song. Not really a fan of Lyon but thought that was an awesome thing to do.

Another story i have is my brother in-law' partner is a teacher in rural Victoria. The school she teachers at is a Richmond zone and she is also a tigers fan. One day a year or 2 back a group of players came to the school to do a footy clinic. She as well as the students were excited to meet some of their heroes. Unfortunately for them their experiences were a negative one because the players were very rude and showed little interest in the kids at all. I even heard that Deledio told one of the kids to f off as well as tell the school that one of the players nicknames was predator because he dated a lot of young females. These are memories these kids will remember forever.

Would be disgusted if i heard that about some of our players. I know they are just footy players but they need to take more responsibility and realise that these experiences leave lasting impressions on the club as well as themselves.

That's surprising. I've seen Lids run handball comps twice at Bunnings Coburg and he's a star with the public. He's also made an appearance at my son's school in the area as well and he was great. This was when the Tiges were affiliated with the Coburg Tigers.

Just on the video, I wonder why not one of our players asked Seb what he was doing at the club - even Bevo didn't ask him? HAs he got a girlfriend yet? Geez Bevo get with the times!

Great initiative by PG but geez the players were a bit lame I thought.

LostDoggy
25-11-2014, 02:55 PM
That's surprising. I've seen Lids run handball comps twice at Bunnings Coburg and he's a star with the public. He's also made an appearance at my son's school in the area as well and he was great. This was when the Tiges were affiliated with the Coburg Tigers.

Just on the video, I wonder why not one of our players asked Seb what he was doing at the club - even Bevo didn't ask him? HAs he got a girlfriend yet? Geez Bevo get with the times!

Great initiative by PG but geez the players were a bit lame I thought.

Well Bevo already knew his name so I assume he had already been briefed on who he was and what he was doing. Also what was young Seb to answer?

Bev "What are you doing here mate?"

Seb "Uh um ohh I don't know really!"

1eyedog
25-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Well Bevo already knew his name so I assume he had already been briefed on who he was and what he was doing. Also what was young Seb to answer?

Bev "What are you doing here mate?"

Seb "Uh um ohh I don't know really!"

What about "I wrote PG a letter asking some questions and he flew me over"

How about 'Who is your favourite player" blah blah blah or "How did you come to support the dogs living in S.A"?

Anyway who cares right it was just something I noticed. As I said a great initiative by the club.

boydogs
25-11-2014, 11:30 PM
How about 'Who is your favourite player"

It was probably Griffen or Cooney

Murphy'sLore
26-11-2014, 10:52 AM
He did say, please don't get rid of Libba. So there is at least one player still there he likes... As well as Bobby!

KT31
26-11-2014, 12:34 PM
If he is not a member I hope his parents will now sign themselves and him up.

Axe Man
26-11-2014, 02:03 PM

Funny how you hear different stories about players. I was told by a mad Richmond supporter that often goes to training that Deledio is an arrogant tosspot. Whilst other players are happy to sign autographs and have a chat he has no time for the fans and walks around like he's the second coming.

bornadog
26-11-2014, 03:20 PM

Pretty sure I posted this a few years ago.

My mates son does Auskick in Willi and often some Doggies players are down there. On one occasion a couple of players came down and the kids were keen to meet them. During the session, the two players (can't remember who they were), just walked around the oval, texting and just not getting involved and ignoring the kids. At the end of the session, the kids ran over to the players asking for an autograph. The players refused to give autographs and told the kids they are paid to kick footies not sign autographs. You can imagine their little faces and how disappointed they were. When my mates son got home he told his mother who hit the roof.

My mate wrote to the club, and Garlick was very good about it. He insisted on seeing my mate to discuss the issue and offered the kid the opportunity to run onto the ground with the players.

That same week, he was at kinder and the teachers boyfriend, a North player came to visit. My mates son's footy was stuck in a tree and the player climbed the tree and retrieved it, and he was wrapped. The player also gave the kids a North cap. This kid almost changed clubs, but fortunately Christmas was coming and he got a new jumper from Santa.

What players do in front of kids, has a real influence.

LostDoggy
26-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Pretty sure I posted this a few years ago.

My mates son does Auskick in Willi and often some Doggies players are down there. On one occasion a couple of players came down and the kids were keen to meet them. During the session, the two players (can't remember who they were), just walked around the oval, texting and just not getting involved and ignoring the kids. At the end of the session, the kids ran over to the players asking for an autograph. The players refused to give autographs and told the kids they are paid to kick footies not sign autographs. You can imagine their little faces and how disappointed they were. When my mates son got home he told his mother who hit the roof.

My mate wrote to the club, and Garlick was very good about it. He insisted on seeing my mate to discuss the issue and offered the kid the opportunity to run onto the ground with the players.

That same week, he was at kinder and the teachers boyfriend, a North player came to visit. My mates son's footy was stuck in a tree and the player climbed the tree and retrieved it, and he was wrapped. The player also gave the kids a North cap. This kid almost changed clubs, but fortunately Christmas was coming and he got a new jumper from Santa.

What players do in front of kids, has a real influence.

That's terrible, but can't help but think the 'direction' given by the club may not have been specific enough for these young adults in that situation.

azabob
28-11-2014, 09:50 PM
That's terrible, but can't help but think the 'direction' given by the club may not have been specific enough for these young adults in that situation.

Seriously? You are justifying the players not signing an autograph or two?

Shop Early
30-11-2014, 06:44 PM

Surely it is not so long since these players were kids themselves. They are football people and they know how this kind of thing works! Who on earth needs briefing on how to deal with footy mad kids at an Auskick clinic? What did the players think they were supposed to be doing there except to interact with kids! Are the memories of these players that short they can't remember what hero worship of their own football heroes was like? I already knew of this story (one of the players, in particular, was probably not in a position at that stage to turn away anyone keen to get his autograph)!
By contrast, I heard a great story about newcomer Tom Boyd introducing himself to and engaging in conversation two supporters who happened to be dining at the same time as him at Barkers Café in recent times. Well done young man! That's what is needed. It doesn't take much time or effort! An even greater welcome to our club and all the best for a great career at Whitten Oval!