PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the WBFC - Caleb Daniel

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
23-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Discussion on out latest pup, and a warm welcome to our tribe!

lemmon
27-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Very, very happy. The kid looks like a little star...have to love the helmet too!

anfo27
27-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Love this pick.

choconmientay
27-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Caleb Daniel highlights
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-10/caleb-daniel-highlights

The Doctor
27-11-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm not surprised by this pick. hopefully a player who can buzz about the forward line at the feet of some of those big fellas we now have

SlimPickens
27-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Kid is an absolute jet, a very small jet but a jet nevertheless.

jazzadogs
27-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Is it too much of the same thing? Hrovat, Honeychurch, Daniel, Dahlhaus...I'm sure they have points of difference, but it seems similar.

I'm sure he is a very talented player, and from a 'best available' point of view he seems like a good pick. But from a list management point of view I'm not convinced.

Bulldog4life
27-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Love this little guy. Saw his BOG at the Champs. A crowd favourite.

Mofra
27-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Is it too much of the same thing? Hrovat, Honeychurch, Daniel, Dahlhaus...I'm sure they have points of difference, but it seems similar.

I'm sure he is a very talented player, and from a 'best available' point of view he seems like a good pick. But from a list management point of view I'm not convinced.
Happy with Caleb Daniel - someone that quick with his endurance has a place at AFL level.

Not sure about picking other short guys this year at the same time though.

LostDoggy
27-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Daniel is an upgrade on Honeychurch in my view. Love Honeychurch but not convinced he will make the grade.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-11-2014, 09:16 PM

This is how I sit with this pick.

Add McLean who is also sub 180cms and Hunter.

Go_Dogs
27-11-2014, 09:20 PM
This is how I sit with this pick.

Add McLean who is also sub 180cms and Hunter.

Hawks and Swans have a large number of smalls, don't think it matters if they can all play - I think we've got a good group who can rotate through a few roles and add slightly different things.

Our newer additions are good users too.

bulldogsman
27-11-2014, 09:26 PM
I'll be cheering for him, but I don't like it. I said the same thing about Honeychurch last year, we have enough smalls IMO.

josie
27-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Hawks and Swans have a large number of smalls, don't think it matters if they can all play - I think we've got a good group who can rotate through a few roles and add slightly different things.

Our newer additions are good users too.

That's the drafting theme for us this year isn't it? Good users, natural footballers. Not too worried regarding no KP. Trust the recruiters that they were too risky. Perhaps a sign of confidence in Talia, Roberts etc.

comrade
27-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Plays like Daniel Kerr a bit in his highlights vid. Great spatial awareness.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-11-2014, 09:33 PM
I'll be cheering for him, but I don't like it. I said the same thing about Honeychurch last year, we have enough smalls IMO.

Yeah, I am not too sure how many of them can play at the one time, but I can't see any way that Honeychurch and Daniel do - if either.

jazzadogs
27-11-2014, 09:34 PM
178cm - Johannisen, Dahlhaus
177cm - Honeychurch
174cm - Hrovat
167cm - Daniel

Johannisen down back, Dahlhaus + one other rotating mid/forward...I don't see how you can have room for more. If they all turn out to be solid AFL footballers it's a good problem to have, but at the moment only Dahlhaus fits that category.

All the best to him though, I certainly still wish him well.

Bulldog Revolution
27-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Daniel was always going to polarise people

Dalrymple has an amazing record picking smalls - will be interesting to see how Caleb goes, he's obviously incredible determined - hope we pair him up with Libba Snr

G-Mo77
27-11-2014, 09:59 PM
If he can play his height shouldn't be an issue. It becomes an issue when you have lack of height and strength being exposed around the ground. In the best case scenario and all of the guys listed in jazza's post turn out to be good AFL players we can't play them all at once.

Twodogs
27-11-2014, 10:12 PM
I think Tom Boyd is going to like playing with this kid.

LostDoggy
27-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Looks like we are trying to create our own MOZZIE FLEET to kill other teams off with speed and zip.

Throughandthrough
27-11-2014, 10:45 PM
I've seen him play many times. Is a ball magnet and loves to kick a goal. Extremely highly respected by his team mates and opponents. Was a big part in sa winning the u18 states this year.

Other south Adelaide players include Luke Darcy and Ryan griffin

Cyberdoggie
27-11-2014, 10:50 PM
I think Daniel is the one most likely to have an impact next year. He's fit, and an inside player who knows how to find the ball.
Perhaps the club is crystal balling a little with the reduction in interchanges, you are going to need guys that can run all day.
Good luck to the kid.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-11-2014, 11:05 PM
One thing is for certain - we'll get some good press with this selection!

All the best to Daniel, he can clearly play.

F'scary
27-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Welcome Caleb Daniel.

I'm not fussed about his size because of the ability, speed and stamina he brings. For what it is worth, I consider Dahlhaus & Johannisen to be in the medium size player bracket anyway. JJ is listed as 180cm on the Club's site, Dahl 178cm for what it is worth. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned we have only 3 rover sized players on our list, one of which, Hrovat, has now proven in 2014 that he is an emerging gun player.

Remi Moses
28-11-2014, 12:10 AM
The feel good story of the draft.
Neil Sharpe from South Adelaide says it well.
" the kid just finds a way"
Just love the ground level skills and the evasiveness, and add the poise.

stefoid
28-11-2014, 12:14 AM
Its taking a punt in reverse. Most late picks are taking the punt the kid will improve their ability, whereas with this kid, its taking the punt that his ability wont disapear when surrounded by AFL sized opposition.

Mofra
28-11-2014, 12:30 AM
God this kid is going to get some free kicks in the middle and piss opposition supporters right off

Eastdog
28-11-2014, 03:05 AM
Really good highlights video there. He has some good pace that's for sure. Welcome to the Dogs Caleb.

soupman
28-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Dalrymple loves going for the footballers that with 10 more cm's would go much earlier (Hrovat, Honeychurch and now Daniel).

I think the concerns about too many smalls are slightly unwarranted. I think the perception that you can only have so many sub 180cm guys is silly. As long as you have enough taller players that you don't need to be kicking it on your small blokes head you'll be fine. And if the small is a good player, like Dahlhaus, they will make many taller opponents look silly anyway.

bornadog
28-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Pint-sized Dog Caleb Daniel the next Boomer?

Harry Thring (http://www.afl.com.au/news/author/harry-thring) November 28, 2014 8:01 AM

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/336125-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Caleb Daniel in action for SA during the Under-18 Championships

•THERE'S a little bit of Brent Harvey about Western Bulldogs draftee Caleb Daniel, says his – now former - South Adelaide coach Brad Gotch.
The Bulldogs pounced on the 18-year-old with their last pick in the NAB AFL Draft, with Gotch claiming the 167cm forward/midfielder had some genuine star quality.

While he lacked 'Boomer's' raw speed, Gotch told AFL.com.au Daniel's vision and football smarts were among the best he'd seen.

Click here to check out Caleb Daniel's draft profile and watch his 2014 highlights
The teenager averaged 20 disposals at 92 per cent efficiency at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and collected All Australian honours.

He played 11 senior SANFL games for Gotch's Panthers this year, including three finals.

Gotch's opinion shouldn't be taken lightly – the former Fitzroy and St Kilda rover coached Willamstown to the 2003 VFL flag before joining Collingwood and the Bulldogs and then Port Adelaide as an assistant coach from 2012-2013.

He said that at pick No.46 the Bulldogs had found an incredibly creative footballer and, after running a 16.1 beep test at the combine – an aerobically gifted player.

"I'm thinking a little bit like a Boomer Harvey. Boomer's quite quick, but Caleb's got the endurance to be able to cover the ground and get into all the dangerous spaces," Gotch said.

"It's amazing, you saw in the state championships – some of the stuff was as good as you get, just elite.

"He'd pick out targets that you don't even see and hit them.

"It's quite a remarkable trait that a few would have noticed and the Bulldogs have decided to take a punt."

The only real hit on Daniel is obvious the moment you lay eyes on him – he's not a tall man.

At 167cm he was the shortest player drafted on Thursday night and, should he debut, he would become the League's shortest since Bulldogs champion Tony Liberatore.

But Gotch said he'd seen enough to back him in at the next level and, measuring in at just 166cm himself, he knows how to handle himself against much bigger opponents.

He said Daniel's size was rarely an issue throughout 2014, even while the heat was on during the club's finals campaign.

"The key thing I thought was that he matched it with senior footballers as an 18-year-old," he said.

"We were in the top three or four teams in the competition, got through to the finals and he was very creative and held his own.

"I haven't seen him get knocked off the ball too often or not be able to tackle and get brushed aside.

"He didn't look intimidated or out of his depth – he was clearly a class above.

"He was able to tackle and pressure and do all the things that you need, so why can't he?"

LINK: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-28/new-dog-the-next-boomer

Bulldog4life
28-11-2014, 12:33 PM
The fact that he has played against men and has held his own is a great sign.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2014, 12:38 PM
It sounds like we plan to play him as an outside link up player. Dal and JMac have mentioned size wasn't an issue given the role he'll play for us. Whilst this sounds good in theory, it looks like Daniel does his best work in traffic given he has elite decision making/disposal/evasive skills. It'll be interesting to see if he can play as predominately an outside type, and if opposition players try to hurt him/expose his height by pushing forward.

A good comparison might be Colyer from Essendon. Took him a few years to adjust but he had a great 2014 season with his outside run, and didn't really get exposed for his lack of height. He's more electric than Daniel, but the roles are likely similar.

Throughandthrough
28-11-2014, 12:40 PM
A photo I took of Caleb last year

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glenelg_football_club_sanfl/8913659378/sizes/c/

LostDoggy
28-11-2014, 01:00 PM
A photo I took of Caleb last year

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glenelg_football_club_sanfl/8913659378/sizes/c/

It's a great photo and brings up an important point, how is this bloke ever going to tackled legally? I'm so happy with this pick - up, can see him in and under packs and shaking and shimmying his way around opponents and delivering lace out passes to the forward line for years!!!

LostDoggy
28-11-2014, 01:16 PM
'Duck' Daniels - opposition supporters will love him :)

Dry Rot
28-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Our last pick, but I like his highlights and stats and match reports the best.

mjp
29-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Our last pick, but I like his highlights and stats and match reports the best.

If he was 185cm he is pick #1 (or at least the first midfielder taken). Not even being funny with this comment. He is tiny though...

Bulldog4life
29-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Wee Georgie Bisset 168cm Libba snr 163cm both champions of the Club. Caleb Daniel at 167cm. I'll back you in son.

boydogs
29-11-2014, 01:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_v6hB90Noo

bornadog
29-11-2014, 01:30 AM
Wee Georgie Bisset 168cm Libba snr 163cm both champions of the Club. Caleb Daniel at 167cm. I'll back you in son.

Those days the ruckman were 190cm. Times have changed.

Bulldog4life
29-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Those days the ruckman were 190cm. Times have changed.

Not sure Scott Wynd was 190cm when he rucked to Libba BAD!:D

Twodogs
29-11-2014, 02:57 AM
And it's not like well be packing the side with them. They won't all play at once. At any one time one will be injured a couple or three will be cooling their heels at Footscray. I doubt they'll play more than four at a time of the smaller players.'

At first anywy.

Pedro Sanchez
29-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Gee he looks good. A natural old school rover. Love it. Duck Daniels has gotta be his nickname. Really hope he kicks on with us.

divvydan
29-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Given his skills and decision making, Caleb's two main issues will be how does he get enough of the ball at AFL level to be damaging and how does he minimise his opponent's impact when we don't have the ball?

In terms of spread and footskills, he certainly matches those criteria better than just about anyone, we just need to find ways to get the ball in his hands.

LostDoggy
29-11-2014, 01:17 PM
No reason he can't be an Eagleton style player. "Just get the ball to him, and we retain the ball" great line from Dal. Can see him running up and down the wing to start. I do think in time he will become an extractor for us an the centre.

Smads57
29-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Loved the footage on YouTube from his SA U18 games. Welcome aboard Caleb, I'll be one of many Bulldog supporters barracking hard for you.

mjp
29-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Given his skills and decision making, Caleb's two main issues will be how does he get enough of the ball at AFL level to be damaging and how does he minimise his opponent's impact when we don't have the ball?

He will get the ball - of that I have no doubt. Preventing him from being killed once he gets it will be an interesting challenge...he is not quick by foot. Defensively? Well, let's just say that Hawthorn often played a loose man behind the ball and we probably will as welll now

bornadog
29-11-2014, 02:13 PM
He puts a new meaning to the nickname from the past - Shorty Daniels.

F'scary
29-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Loved the footage on YouTube from his SA U18 games. Welcome aboard Caleb, I'll be one of many Bulldog supporters barracking hard for you.

I liked his ball handling. No fumbles. The way he immediately transfers the ball to one hand, then the other as he sizes up options - you can't teach that sort of skill. The way he can switch in a blink from a handballing stance to disposing accurately by foot and with penetration - you can't teach that. The footage shows he has a very clear idea where the players are as he goes for the ball and picks it up or receives - you can't teach that.

He was our last pick but to me sums up what Dal & co were trying to achieve with all our picks. Football ability over size and sheer athleticism.

LostDoggy
29-11-2014, 02:51 PM

Thanks heaps for posting this one. Didn't really dawn on me how fantastic this kid looks until I realised it's the highlights from one match. Damn.

Going early I know, but looks Scott West-like with that handball, very quick, very effective.

boydogs
29-11-2014, 04:26 PM

In terms of spread and footskills, he certainly matches those criteria better than just about anyone, we just need to find ways to get the ball in his hands.

He's a high production player in the current parlance. That 16 beep test means he stays involved more than anyone.

Thanks heaps for posting this one. Didn't really dawn on me how fantastic this kid looks until I realised it's the highlights from one match. Damn.

Going early I know, but looks Scott West-like with that handball, very quick, very effective.

That video is all his involvements in the televised U/18 champs games, not highlights. I think there are 2 clangers in 9 minutes.

He's got that short player's ability to change direction and to get it on his foot quickly. He'll be tough to tackle, because he is highly evasive and can get it off quickly, and because of his height. A bit like Gary Ablett Jr, where he ends up just getting corralled.

There are benefits to being short, it's not all downside.

BulldogBelle
29-11-2014, 04:42 PM

l really like the look of this kid. Hopefully he can surprise a few experts who wrote him off due to his size.

kruder
29-11-2014, 11:12 PM
That footage from the champs is super impressive, a little Sammy Mitchell esk for mine. I'm surprised he can kick 50m and with accuracy but one things for sure he will leave all the nightmares of signing Hooper on a 2 year deal after showing 0 talent for dead!

KT31
30-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Thankyou for posting boydogs, I feel a lot better about this selection after watching this video.
His highlight package showed he could not kick over a jam tin but in reality he can kick from 50.
Welcome to the Doggies Daniel.

boydogs
30-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Thankyou for posting boydogs, I feel a lot better about this selection after watching this video.
His highlight package showed he could not kick over a jam tin but in reality he can kick from 50.
Welcome to the Doggies Daniel.

I think Daniel is the centrepiece of the Great SA Oversight 2014™

They dominated the U/18 national champs but only had 1 player selected in the top 33 (Durdin). Someone must have got them over the line! Recruiters seemed to write them off as being led by midgets Johansen and Daniel who wouldn't make it at AFL level.

Hamilton was noted as their 3rd best prospect too

http://indaily.com.au/sport/2014/11/24/sas-top-10-draft-prospects/

Throughandthrough
30-11-2014, 03:38 PM
I think Daniel is the centrepiece of the Great SA Oversight 2014™

They dominated the U/18 national champs but only had 1 player selected in the top 33 (Durdin). Someone must have got them over the line! Recruiters seemed to write them off as being led by midgets Johansen and Daniel who wouldn't make it at AFL level.

Hamilton was noted as their 3rd best prospect too

http://indaily.com.au/sport/2014/11/24/sas-top-10-draft-prospects/

I have it on very good authority that for presumably financial purposes, the dogs recruiting in South Australia was on a restricted basis this season.

And For personal reasons I really don't rate the opinions of the author of the article you quoted

LostDoggy
30-11-2014, 04:19 PM
I have it on very good authority that for presumably financial purposes, the dogs recruiting in South Australia was on a restricted basis this season.

And For personal reasons I really don't rate the opinions of the author of the article you quoted
What a strange article (in the InDaily). We should be surprised that SA guys not drafted, but it's totally understandable, but they should all be drafted, but they're not certainties, but… just an all-over-the-place article that drops heaps of names but little real insight into why the SA guys have been assessed as they were. Is it a case of clubs not having the cash to do it properly, a fear of go-home factors, a combination of things?

I'll just stick to reading throughandthrough's posts for my SA football knowledge.

boydogs
30-11-2014, 07:40 PM

So how do you think we went with picking up SA players?

I think we did really well getting Daniel with our last pick, not sure about Hamilton over Neal-Bullen at 39 but glad we picked up 2 of them

Throughandthrough
30-11-2014, 08:54 PM
So how do you think we went with picking up SA players?

I think we did really well getting Daniel with our last pick, not sure about Hamilton over Neal-Bullen at 39 but glad we picked up 2 of them

Dunno, ask me again in 5 years :)

I'm happy we took a shot at Caleb, he's very highly rated amongst his peers.

I was hoping for ANB, but the story with him going to Melbourne with his great mate Stretch is such a good one.

Here's a photo I took that's been in heavy rotation on social media this week.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3893/14834325313_75e795b1da.jpg

Twodogs
30-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Dunno, ask me again in 5 years :)

I'm happy we took a shot at Caleb, he's very highly rated amongst his peers.

I was hoping for ANB, but the story with him going to Melbourne with his great mate Stretch is such a good one.

Here's a photo I took that's been in heavy rotation on social media this week.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3893/14834325313_75e795b1da.jpg

I've seen that photo a couple of times. One of them might even have been in the paper.

boydogs
30-11-2014, 09:31 PM
I was hoping for ANB

Just because you're a Glenelg man? Thoughts on Hamilton?

Throughandthrough
30-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Just because you're a Glenelg man? Thoughts on Hamilton?

Yep. And haven't really watched him enough. Hopefully doesn't eat as much as his uncles

soupman
01-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Just watched that highlight video against Vic Country and metro, god he is impressive. Like Hrovat he is small and not super quick, but he is always getting the ball on the move at close to full pace and makes really good decisions. Lovely kicking style as well.

bornadog
01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
What is unique about our great game is you don't have to be a freakish tall to play. Players of all sizes can play this great game as long as they have a football brain and skills.

Shorty Daniels will be up against it, but his determination will get him through, just like Libba or Harvey.

Dancin' Douggy
01-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Just looks like a natural doesn't he.

mighty_west
01-12-2014, 03:39 PM
I've seen it mentioned a few times, he moves alot like Daniel Kerr, and he's my tip to get a game first from the new recruits, he may also give Selwood a run for his money on head high free's.

Twodogs
12-12-2014, 11:30 PM
I was just listening to Caleb's interview from during trade week on the trade Radio app on my IPad. He was saying his coach at South Adelaide this year was Brad Gotch so there's a Bulldog connection there.

Hotdog60
13-12-2014, 07:26 AM
I was just listening to Caleb's interview from during trade week on the trade Radio app on my IPad. He was saying his coach at South Adelaide this year was Brad Gotch so there's a Bulldog connection there.

I could be wrong but didn't Bradley Gotch play for Fitzroy then St.Kilda.

Or was Gotch a Footscray assistant coach or supporter. I just don't remember seeing him play for the Dogs.

GVGjr
13-12-2014, 07:33 AM
I could be wrong but didn't Bradley Gotch play for Fitzroy then St.Kilda.

Or was Gotch a Footscray assistant coach or supporter. I just don't remember seeing him play for the Dogs.

He coached Williamstown when we had an alignment with them.

Hotdog60
13-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Ahh, thanks GVGjr. Forgot the VFL side of things. When I left Victoria it was still the VFA :)

The Underdog
13-12-2014, 07:39 AM

He was also a relative football "midget" so maybe he had some tips on surviving

GVGjr
13-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Ahh, thanks GVGjr. Forgot the VFL side of things. When I left Victoria it was still the VFA :)

I think when Gotch was in charge there were a few issues with the alignment. Not a reflection on Gotch because he was trying to serve two masters. His support team wasn't as strong either.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-12-2014, 10:03 AM

And a fellow shortarse.

Throughandthrough
13-12-2014, 10:47 AM
I've spoken to a few of calebs team mates from the state u18s this year, and a few guys that have played against him in their sanfl, and they are all reAlly pleased for him that he was drafted, and they all also say that he definiteLy can play.

jeemak
13-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Watched his highlights a few times now. Jeez he's good. Has more talent in his little finger than most, it will be interesting to see whether his stature holds him back.

Twodogs
13-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Watched his highlights a few times now. Jeez he's good. Has more talent in his little finger than most, it will be interesting to see whether his stature holds him back.

I know I have mentioned this before but I love the play on his highlight reel where he takes a handball in defence and then almost waits for the game to slow down in front of him before he decides he is going to go for a run, runs to the forward 50 and kicks to the leading forward. All the while he is stepping around blokes , getting himself out of tackles and one-twoing around opponents.

If he can do that at AFL level we have a seriously good player

Smads57
13-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Took particular notice of Caleb at this morning's open training session. Thought he clearly looked the most likely draftee to get a game next year. Really like his kicking style - not sure what is is, but it looks very effective. I can understand SD's comment around his being a person who will maintain possession for the side once he gets the ball as it invariable hits up a team mate.

F'scary
13-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Took particular notice of Caleb at this morning's open training session. Thought he clearly looked the most likely draftee to get a game next year. Really like his kicking style - not sure what is is, but it looks very effective. I can understand SD's comment around his being a person who will maintain possession for the side once he gets the ball as it invariable hits up a team mate.

And boy do we ever need more of that.

F'scary
13-12-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm right on board the Caleb Daniel bandwagon. That highlights package which shows every possession he gets in a single game is mindblowing. His style of play is exactly what we need. Hrovat is looking the goods already. If Daniel makes it, we will have two A grade rovers. Change them off the bench, change them in the FP, there is room for both.

wimberga
13-12-2014, 05:23 PM

I went along this morning too and one thing I noticed about caleb is that he never stops moving. By that I mean I don't think he will ever be found flat footed.

When he had the ball and was assessing options for handbills or kicks, he is constantly bouncing on his feet, ready to take off at any moment whilst also giving himself time to sum up the situation and make the right decision. Very promising

GVGjr
14-12-2014, 06:49 AM
I know I have mentioned this before but I love the play on his highlight reel where he takes a handball in defence and then almost waits for the game to slow down in front of him before he decides he is going to go for a run, runs to the forward 50 and kicks to the leading forward. All the while he is stepping around blokes , getting himself out of tackles and one-twoing around opponents.

If he can do that at AFL level we have a seriously good player

It's a good highlight package but I noticed the he often has a 'stutter' bounce when he is on the run. It looks like he bounces the ball a bit close to himself and he has slow down a fraction. I think he might need to work on his kicking even though he hit his targets.

He reads the play exceptionally well.

Rocco Jones
14-12-2014, 12:11 PM
I do like seeing a U/18 draftee coming off good form in state league footy. These are the stats from his last 3 games in the SANFL finals series...
16 disposals, 2 goals
24 disposals
20 disposals

Doesn't mean he is going to make it but it shows he can mix it with the bigger bodies. He also averaged 20 disposals and 2 goals during the state carnival. Hopefully he is the type who steps up.

Twodogs
14-12-2014, 01:53 PM
It's a good highlight package but I noticed the he often has a 'stutter' bounce when he is on the run. It looks like he bounces the ball a bit close to himself and he has slow down a fraction. I think he might need to work on his kicking even though he hit his targets.

He reads the play exceptionally well.

I noticed the bouncing thing too-he bounces the footy like it's a basketball-and thought that while he might get the time to do that at junior level, bodies will hit him hard if he does it at AFL level. I'm sure the bio mechanists will be right onto it. But rather than showing him how to bounce a footy properly they will invent a new way of running for him.

kruder
16-12-2014, 11:09 AM
I know Gordon is ever the optimist but he did mention Caleb is his SEN interview yesterday. Sounds like he is impressing the inner sanctum.

jeemak
16-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Ryan Griffan bounced the ball poorly as well.

BulldogBelle
16-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Ryan Griffan bounced the ball poorly as well.

Who:rolleyes:

Remi Moses
16-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Get it right it's Griffin

Smads57
01-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Just found these on YouTube - 2 articles on CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwN3SBMxYtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ToelDeTlE

F'scary
01-01-2015, 07:45 PM
thanks Smads, I am really bullish about all of our six draftees. They won't play much of a role in 2015 as they are all so skinny and undertaking their first AFL preseason but going forward I can see a big injection of skill and decision making ability into the side.

josie
02-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Thank You Smads. These gems on WOOF make the off season that little bit more bearable.

What a well spoken young man Caleb is. I think some of the female fans will welcome a bit of (Higgins) replacement eye candy too.

I am really looking forward to seeing him play in the AFL and predicting he will make it. Also predicting, along with a lot of others, he will be a crowd favourite - and not only Dogs fans either.

bornadog
02-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Good luck Caleb hope you smashem in your first game and many to come

Twodogs
02-07-2015, 10:21 PM
This is going to be the start of something big.

azabob
02-07-2015, 10:25 PM
This is going to be the start of something big.

I thought he was little?

bulldogtragic
02-07-2015, 10:36 PM
I thought he was little?

Yeah, but he can scrap.

F'scary
02-07-2015, 10:53 PM
What are the odds he will be the sub?

westdog54
02-07-2015, 10:57 PM
I thought he was little?

ratsmac
02-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Congrats wee man!

SonofScray
02-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Great news, pumped to see him play and play well. He is going to be a real crowd pleaser I think.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-07-2015, 11:35 PM
What are the odds he will be the sub?

Hope not.

I'd be making Honeychurch the sub.

Mofra
03-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Good luck to him, could be an instant cult hero

Cyberdoggie
03-07-2015, 11:50 AM
I'm guessing he will be the sub and then the next week he'll get a full game.

Greystache
03-07-2015, 01:45 PM

Good chance but I don't think it's the right approach. He's a ball accumulating midfielder with elite endurance, it's really the opposite of what you want in a sub.

Greystache
03-07-2015, 01:46 PM

Good chance but I don't think it's the right approach. He's a ball accumulating midfielder with elite endurance, it's really the opposite of what you want in a sub.

comrade
03-07-2015, 01:51 PM

I'd prefer him to start, but his decision making and foot skills could give us an edge as the rest of the players fatigue.

I think either way, he'll acquit himself well.

Bulldog4life
03-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Agree. I saw him play in last years Under 18's Championship. Was BOG in the game I saw. Was always where the ball was.

boydogs
03-07-2015, 02:00 PM
I watched Jack Redpath's highlights video from the VFL last week and was more impressed by Caleb's contributions in those clips than Jack's. I do love Jack's kicking though

comrade
03-07-2015, 02:07 PM
I watched Jack Redpath's highlights video from the VFL last week and was more impressed by Caleb's contributions in those clips than Jack's. I do love Jack's kicking though

The best one was where he tackled the big Sandy bloke (Goddard), forced the turn over and hand balled off to big Red.

Plenty of strength packed into 167cm.

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 03:38 PM
The best one was where he tackled the big Sandy bloke (Goddard), forced the turn over and hand balled off to big Red.

Plenty of strength packed into 167cm.

I literally stood with my mouth agog as I watched that on TV. I made my kids come and watch it on replay.

Goddard is huge and Daniel is tiny.

bornadog
03-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Terry Wheeler presents Caleb with his jumper.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3339721-terry-wheeler-speech-at-caleb-daniel-s-guernsey-presentation-friday-3-july-2015

https://d15mj6e6qmt1na.cloudfront.net/i/15411257/600.jpg

comrade
03-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Terry Wheeler presents Caleb with his jumper.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3339721-terry-wheeler-speech-at-caleb-daniel-s-guernsey-presentation-friday-3-july-2015

https://d15mj6e6qmt1na.cloudfront.net/i/15411257/600.jpg

How good was that!

Thanks for posting, BAD.

bornadog
03-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Some VFL highlights from last week.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-07-03/caleb-daniel-vfl-highlights

bornadog
03-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Love this quote from Caleb:

"It’s something I’ve dreamed about all my life, I’m keen to get out there.” Caleb Daniel ahead of his debut

see here: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-07-03/cd-ready-to-play

bulldogtragic
03-07-2015, 05:57 PM
And that's why I have always loved Wheels.

Greystache
03-07-2015, 06:02 PM
How is it possible that Wheels looks younger than when he was coaching us 20 years ago? I used to see him on the Williamstown train in the mornings and thought he must have that Benjamin Button disease!

bulldogtragic
03-07-2015, 06:07 PM
I wonder is Peter Gordon was there for pep talk?

Do he and wheels get on at all?

azabob
03-07-2015, 07:00 PM
I wonder is Peter Gordon was there for pep talk?

Do he and wheels get on at all?

I assume you are being genuine. I think I heard that Peter Gordon regrets sacking Terry Wheeler the way he did. He admits that he was a young man himself back then and probably jumped the gun a bit too quickly.

I am sure they have buried the hatchet.

Hotdog60
03-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Old Wheels can still rattle off a stirring speech.

bulldogtragic
03-07-2015, 07:30 PM
I assume you are being genuine. I think I heard that Peter Gordon regrets sacking Terry Wheeler the way he did. He admits that he was a young man himself back then and probably jumped the gun a bit too quickly.

I am sure they have buried the hatchet.

Yeah, absolutely genuine. I watched Gordo say that the other night on Fox, but whether they have a relationship, tolerance or mate ship is another thing. I'd hope they've moved on.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
03-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Pretty intense

Dry Rot
03-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Didn't he coach us at some time? Great speech.

And that's why I have always loved Wheels.

azabob
03-07-2015, 08:15 PM

Yep. Hence why BT asked why he and Peter Gordon speak. Gordon sacked him back in the day.

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Yep. Hence why BT asked why he and Peter Gordon speak. Gordon sacked him back in the day.

After round two. And I think we won round one!

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 08:45 PM

A great book. One of the great sports books. It's about 1993 when Terry was Footscray coach.

azabob
03-07-2015, 08:45 PM

Yeah either round 2 or 3. I still remember a headline from the next day

"And with a six pack he was gone"

Hotdog60
03-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Wheels was a coach ahead of his time.

Dry Rot
03-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the Wheeler replies. That jumper speech was super impressive.

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the Wheeler replies. That jumper speech was super impressive.

Terry is a super impressive bloke. He is one of the great characters if our club, he was kind of the Bob Murphy of coaching. He really understood the club. He had some interesting team bonding exercises, one preseason he talked the players into parachuting out of a aeroplane onto Wiiliamstown beach.

LostDoggy
03-07-2015, 10:56 PM
Gotta love Terry Wheeler. Great speech. Do the jumper and number proud Caleb.

GVGjr
03-07-2015, 10:57 PM

I think we lost round one and for some reason I think he was sacked after a significant loss to Geelong.

My understanding is the direction Wheeler was charged with was to get the players focused on doing exceptionally well in the preseason competition to help raise our membership numbers and in the end we failed miserably. This put pressure right on Wheeler.
After the Geelong loss it tipped over.
Wheeler had chased Richard Osborne hard only to have him leave during the preseason to try his hand at punting for Gridiron. Wheeler believed that Osborne could have made all the difference.

As was at training a day or so after Wheeler was sacked and Osborne had come back to the club and was at training. I think he had a slight hamstring twinge but played in the reserves and kicked 6 or 7 goals.

Daniels is a luck young fellow to have Wheeler give a speech to the group.

Happy Days
03-07-2015, 11:00 PM

A great book. One of the great sports books. It's about 1993 when Terry was Footscray coach.

Is there any way to come by a copy of this?

Remi Moses
03-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Gee that was Any Given Sunday
I think there was a view Wheels was a tad soft on the players in the pre-season
To hasty the sacking, as although 93 was disappointing we were 11 and 9 on the season

Bulldog4life
03-07-2015, 11:08 PM
I think we lost round one and for some reason I think he was sacked after a significant loss to Geelong.

My understanding is the direction Wheeler was charged with was to get the players focused on doing exceptionally well in the preseason competition to help raise our membership numbers and in the end we failed miserably. This put pressure right on Wheeler.
Wheeler had chased Richard Osborne hard only to have him leave during the preseason to try his hand at punting for Gridiron. Wheeler believed that Osborne could have made all the difference.

As was at training a day or so after Wheeler was sacked and Osborne had come back to the club and was at training. I think he had a slight hamstring twinge but played in the reserves and kicked 6 or 7 goals.

I thought we beat Richmond in the first round

GVGjr
03-07-2015, 11:10 PM
I thought we beat Richmond in the first round

I knew it was Richmond and you're right, we did beat them. Thanks.

azabob
03-07-2015, 11:11 PM

Ebay? Local library, contact the publisher and author. They may put up an electronic version?

bornadog
04-07-2015, 12:05 AM

Martin Flanagan is a great writer.

Here you go: http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9780869143315?clickid=yugXsO1QQT4nxuT3y209s1qfUkXxelyB8RjM2M 0&cm_mmc=aff-_-ir-_-64682-_-77798&afn_sr=impact&ref=imprad

boydogs
04-07-2015, 12:19 AM
Pretty intense

Too intense I thought. The kid's lining up for his first game and he's trying to put the weight of the world on his shoulders

comrade
04-07-2015, 12:39 AM
Too intense I thought. The kid's lining up for his first game and he's trying to put the weight of the world on his shoulders

I'm sure Wheels would have asked around and found out what sort of kid Caleb is before crafting his speech. He's had to fight every inch of the way to get to this point so I doubt any of Wheeler's words would have overwhelmed him.

And really, it was for all the players.

Twodogs
04-07-2015, 12:48 AM

Sounds about right. I remember the Richerd Osborne Schmozzlle now that you mention it.

LostDoggy
04-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Best of luck to Gimli today!

Go_Dogs
04-07-2015, 02:49 PM
I have a feeling, at about 11pm we'll all agree he's going to be short odds for next years Rising Star award.

boydogs
04-07-2015, 05:47 PM
I have a feeling, at about 11pm we'll all agree he's going to be short odds for next years Rising Star award.

Unintended pun? :D

How many players have received a rising star nomination in their 1st game? Be a pretty short list I reckon :D

bulldogtragic
04-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Last call for Caleb Daniel bandwagon. Last call people.

GVGjr
04-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Impressive 1st quarter of footy

Twodogs
04-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Impressive 1st quarter of footy

A goal and two goal assists. Pretty good effort.

LostDoggy
04-07-2015, 11:42 PM

Tickets please,Tickets.;)

Scorlibo
05-07-2015, 12:00 AM

All aboard! This guy can genuinely play. Surprised me with the goal from 50, thought that the length of his kicking might be an issue, but apparently not.

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Little gun! half a game, 1 goal, 14 touches, 5 marks, he ran everywhere, got into everything and we have a star on our hands.

Bulldog4life
05-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Little gun! half a game, 1 goal, 14 touches, 5 marks, he ran everywhere, got into everything and we have a star on our hands.

And we got him for Jonesy!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-07-2015, 12:21 AM
He was great a few around us didn't know who he was. They do now ��

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Get the man a beard and an axe!
http://www.mandependence.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Gimli.jpg

Twodogs
05-07-2015, 12:38 AM
Can't wait til he starts next week.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2015, 12:42 AM
He actually turned the game when he came on.

We were fumbly and lacking purpose. When he came in, he was the cleanest player on the ground and moved the ball with purpose via foot or hand. Very impressive stuff.

The bulldog tragician
05-07-2015, 12:45 AM
What a great debut. He will be a crowd favourite for sure. Super impressive!

Doc26
05-07-2015, 01:00 AM

We were fumbly and lacking purpose. When he came in, he was the cleanest player on the ground and moved the ball with purpose via foot or hand. Very impressive stuff.

Couldn't agree more. From the moment he started in the second half our purpose and intensity lifted in large part from his workrate and his unselfishness to bring others into the play.

Twodogs
05-07-2015, 02:04 AM

Yep. Makes me wonder what sort of game it could have been if he'd been on from the start. A lot of our hard work in the first quarter came in stuck because we had one to few quality ball users involved in chains of short possessions trying to work a player free. We always seemed just a bit slow to get it into the spread.

Webby
05-07-2015, 02:20 AM
we have a lot of mosquito-fleeters on our list. Dahlhaus is the clear front-runner at present. I like Hrovat and Honeychurch, but have some doubts about the latter..

However, from the very first time I saw him in the pre-season, I've thought Daniel will make the grade at worst, if not be a star. I rate him that highly. Had he not been injured in March, I honestly think he would've played in round 1. I think we saw the debut of a very special WBFC player tonight.

Hotdog60
05-07-2015, 09:36 AM
I love the way he can make time and space with the ball. Then he finds the right options.

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 09:40 AM
He has learnt to turn his height to advantage, just like Libba Snr.

Eastdog
05-07-2015, 04:32 PM
What a debut from Caleb. Thought he was great. He may be a short player but gee he moves so well and was involved in quite a lot. Made our club very proud last night.

choconmientay
05-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Loved his debut. Excellent stuff coming in as a sub. He does remind me of ... 634

bornadog
05-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Loved his debut. Excellent stuff coming in as a sub. He does remind me of ... http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=634&stc=1

or

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0133ecb7687d970b-pi

Smads57
05-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Looks like Caleb was a favourite at South Adelaide as well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jXHMZR6owM

AndrewP6
05-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Great game on debut, love his work. Heard audio of Terry Wheeler presenting his jumper. Great speech, Wheels still has the passion for the club. Sounds a bit like he's calling him "Callum" though :D

stefoid
05-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Get the man a beard and an axe!
http://www.mandependence.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Gimli.jpg

Daniel was playing on Buckley at one stage, and I said to my mate "Its Frodo vs Gimli"

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Daniel was playing on Buckley at one stage, and I said to my mate "Its Frodo vs Gimli"

Reckon you're right.

Mofra
06-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Couldn't agree more. From the moment he started in the second half our purpose and intensity lifted in large part from his workrate and his unselfishness to bring others into the play.
I liked his game - does it reflect we really miss a high-pressure small in the front half of the ground who uses the ball well?

Obviously Caleb's debut was remarkable (14 touches and a goal in his first half of football!) but perhaps it's a sign for the MC that at least one of Hrovat, Honeychurch or Caleb should start every game from now on?

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 11:35 AM
I liked his game - does it reflect we really miss a high-pressure small in the front half of the ground who uses the ball well?

Obviously Caleb's debut was remarkable (14 touches and a goal in his first half of football!) but perhaps it's a sign for the MC that at least one of Hrovat, Honeychurch or Caleb should start every game from now on?

With Tom Boyd in the goal square.

ledge
06-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Can you get rising star after half a game ?

always right
06-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Must admit I was quite surprised at how short he actually is when he ran out with the team at the start. Can't begin to imagine the shit he's copped throughout his footy career so far.

When the opposition lined up on him you could almost sense they didn't know how to approach him in terms of physicality. Normally they try to intimidate the new young bloke but with Caleb I felt they kind of held back as it would look pretty weak if they started knocking him around. If he keeps playing like he did, opposition players won't have any second thoughts in future.

azabob
06-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Good summary AR. Next week will be interesting to see how he backs up and how much attention Gold Coast pay him physically and actually manning him up.

boydogs
06-07-2015, 02:10 PM

For once you and I are on the same page! :D

westdog54
06-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Good summary AR. Next week will be interesting to see how he backs up and how much attention Gold Coast pay him physically and actually manning him up.

They won't be able to man him up. He'll just hide behind Sam Day or Dan Gorringe at every stoppage.

LostDoggy
06-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Must admit I was quite surprised at how short he actually is when he ran out with the team at the start. Can't begin to imagine the shit he's copped throughout his footy career so far.

When the opposition lined up on him you could almost sense they didn't know how to approach him in terms of physicality. Normally they try to intimidate the new young bloke but with Caleb I felt they kind of held back as it would look pretty weak if they started knocking him around. If he keeps playing like he did, opposition players won't have any second thoughts in future.

Humans don't naturally look up or down. They look straight ahead. Well, that's what I tell my kids when I step on them, anyway.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-07-2015, 03:18 PM

An excellent debut and a master stroke in recruitment. Provided the necessary spark to lift our performance in the second half to victory.Looked totally at home at senior level.

bornadog
06-07-2015, 03:19 PM

Tony Libba was 4 cm shorter.

Early in his career the team were playing West Coast and Worsfold was barking instructions and asking players to pick up there men. He saw Libba and said and someone stomp on that cockroach. :D

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 03:51 PM

And every bruise will be a badge of honour. They wouldn't bother if he didn't make them look silly.

Remi Moses
06-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Tony Libba was 4 cm shorter.

Early in his career the team were playing West Coast and Worsfold was barking instructions and asking players to pick up there men. He saw Libba and said and someone stomp on that cockroach. :D

I think Dwayne Lamb said something like pick up the dwarf to one of his teammates .

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 09:15 PM
I think Dwayne Lamb said something like pick up the dwarf to one of his teammates .

Who's got the effing dwarf? was the quote I think.

Bulldog4life
06-07-2015, 09:34 PM

I think that was it Twodogs

bulldogtragic
07-07-2015, 12:50 AM
Caleb got a talking up on On The Couch tonight. Not bad for 60 minutes of footy in his first game.

Remi Moses
07-07-2015, 01:16 AM

I think Lamb apologised as well, and I'm sure libba went on to win the Brownlow.

Twodogs
07-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I think Lamb apologised as well, and I'm sure libba went on to win the Brownlow.

He did win the Brownlow. Not a bad effort to go from asking for a transfer to winning the medal inside the same season. Thank God tgat Terry Wheeler and Doug Hawkins asked him to give it one more go with us and picked him for the practice match that week. He was BOG that day and never looked back.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Terry's speech was very moving. Yes, I suppose 35 is not a revered number, but I would be very proud to have Terry Wheeler's former number on my jumper. Cannot wait for Caleb to develop. I used to wear a helmet as well when I played footy, so he's a fav of mine.

bornadog
07-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Terry's speech was very moving. Yes, I suppose 35 is not a revered number, but I would be very proud to have Terry Wheeler's former number on my jumper. Cannot wait for Caleb to develop. I used to wear a helmet as well when I played footy, so he's a fav of mine.

Turned 19 today

Bulldog4life
07-07-2015, 06:52 PM

I was wondering if the player chooses a lower number in years to come do they do it all again?

bornadog
07-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Caleb got a talking up on On The Couch tonight. Not bad for 60 minutes of footy in his first game.

watch it here: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-07-07/on-the-couch-praise-caleb-daniel

dukedog
11-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Hope he gets a full game tonight. His half last week was best ive seen on debut. In terms of his efforts to turn a close game into a win. He just runs everywhere. Great link player. Just what we need.

Smads57
11-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Currently 501-1 to win the end of year Rising Star award on Sportsbet (Toby is 101-1). Might be worth a $10 investment given he has 9 rounds to go to prove himself better than the others nominated so far this year....

G-Mo77
11-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Had my doubts but as always happy to eat my words. He has done everything right and just a shame he missed 6 weeks due to injury. I've told a few people at work how good he is and asked if they watched the Daniel show on Saturday night all were impressed expect for one Norf supporter who said he'll play as long as the other midget from Ballarat (Hooper) I asked to put a $20 on that which he agreed.

dukedog
11-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Had my doubts but as always happy to eat my words. He has done everything right and just a shame he missed 6 weeks due to injury. I've told a few people at work how good he is and asked if they watched the Daniel show on Saturday night all were impressed expect for one Norf supporter who said he'll play as long as the other midget from Ballarat (Hooper) I asked to put a $20 on that which he agreed.

Safe bet. Hooper never had the footy awareness that CD has. North supporters i know have always hated the dogs. Dunno why. Maybe cross town rivalry.

boydogs
11-07-2015, 03:27 PM
His height is a point of difference. He is quicker to bend down and pick the ball up and change direction. Quicker to get the ball on his boot and more likely to draw a high tackle. Which opposition teams will have a matchup for him?

I'm hanging out for the sub announcement, it's between Prudden, Hunter and Daniel. I'd love to see him get a full game

bornadog
11-07-2015, 04:03 PM
His height is a point of difference. He is quicker to bend down and pick the ball up and change direction. Quicker to get the ball on his boot and more likely to draw a high tackle. Which opposition teams will have a matchup for him?

I'm hanging out for the sub announcement, it's between Prudden, Hunter and Daniel. I'd love to see him get a full game

I will take the punt and say Prudden

bornadog
11-07-2015, 04:21 PM
I will take the punt and say Prudden

I was wrong it's Hunter

boydogs
11-07-2015, 04:28 PM
I was wrong it's Hunter

Get on Daniel for the Rising Star nom :)

Bulldog4life
11-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Crazy Roberts wrong place sorry

boydogs
11-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Good game from Caleb, didn't reach the heights of his half as sub but he was always looking to take the game on when most of us were stagnant

jeemak
11-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Good game from Caleb, didn't reach the heights of his half as sub but he was always looking to take the game on when most of us were stagnant

I get a good feeling when he is going to kick the footy for the most part. He's not really an inside player due to his height, but he's also not an outside player either.

It seems he's in the middle of the two, in that difficult space that makes or breaks a forward thrust.

bornadog
11-07-2015, 11:37 PM
He was involved in lots of the play, so knows where to position himself. For his first full game, I thought he did ok and wouldn't drop him.

Rocket Science
12-07-2015, 01:32 AM
Endeavour, smart execution and one of few who could hold their heads high after that grim first half.

He stays, surely.

Remi Moses
12-07-2015, 01:38 AM
Very good 1st half . Quiet 2nd half

Torpedo
12-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Absolutely perfectly weighted hand pass by celeb to Bont who didn't break stride on his charge to the goals in last qtr.

Hot_Doggies
12-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Absolutely perfectly weighted hand pass by celeb to Bont who didn't break stride on his charge to the goals in last qtr.

Wasn't that number 6?

merantau
12-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Caleb is a live wire. He makes good decisions, has good skills both sides, is quick, never gives up and is always a chance to draw a free kick because his arse is close to the ground. One of our few good players in the first half. Definitely keeps his spot for mine.

comrade
12-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Wasn't that number 6?

Definitely Dahl.

stefoid
13-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Very good 1st half . Quiet 2nd half

probably stuffed.

Ozza
13-07-2015, 01:06 PM
I get a good feeling when he is going to kick the footy for the most part. He's not really an inside player due to his height, but he's also not an outside player either.

It seems he's in the middle of the two, in that difficult space that makes or breaks a forward thrust.

Interesting point you raise.

These sort of players, that can operate well under pressure in that in between contested/inside and outside/running facets of the game are so important. Richmond are a far better side with Edwards in the team, as he is so good with vision and disposal in confined space. He'll be a big out for them.

You also only have to have watched the first half of the Hawks/Dockers game for a perfect example of how important this area of the game is. Hawthorn were so good at flipping the ball around inside and getting clear, whereas, for all their endeavour, Freo kept having handpasses partially smothered or players were receiving the ball under more pressure than the last player - and it just stifled their ball movement.

LostDoggy
13-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Safe bet. Hooper never had the footy awareness that CD has. North supporters i know have always hated the dogs. Dunno why. Maybe cross town rivalry.

We have a toughness and heart that they can only talk about. Despise North.

Twodogs
15-07-2015, 07:57 PM
We have a toughness and heart that they can only talk about. Despise North.

My dear old Nanna used to call them very rude names. That generation all seemed to hate North with a passion.

Before I Die
04-04-2016, 10:11 PM
There have been recent comparisons between Stringer and Ablett Snr, but I think the most striking similarity between one of our players and a champion of the past is Caleb Daniel and Barry Cable. Both 168cm, both not particularly quick, both incredible users of the ball with great vision and the ability to make the game slow down. Cable was one of the all time greats and I thnk Caleb may well leave his own mark on football history.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-04-2016, 10:18 PM
How good is his ball retention? It's almost off the charts. I never saw Barry Cable, but the way Caleb moves and kicks on both feet is very Sam Mitchell like. He hangs onto the ball and waits for an opening - whilst Macrae does this too, I think Caleb does it far better. He seems to avoid trouble almost always.

I feel more comfortable when he has the ball than just about anyone else in our side (perhaps excluding Murph).

bulldogtragic
04-04-2016, 10:20 PM
How good is his ball retention? It's almost off the charts. I never saw Barry Cable, but the way Caleb moves and kicks on both feet is very Sam Mitchell like. He hangs onto the ball and waits for an opening - whilst Macrae does this too, I think Caleb does it far better. He seems to avoid trouble almost always.

I feel more comfortable when he has the ball than just about anyone else in our side (perhaps excluding Murph).

My comfort factor is high too. Not bad for a bloke whose barely played a couple of handful of games.

bornadog
04-04-2016, 10:26 PM
He is such a smart footballer and never wastes a ball.

Twodogs
04-04-2016, 10:27 PM
So would it be Caleb Cable?

Cable isn't a bad comparison. I think Caleb is a bit like Shaun Hart from Brisbane too especially with the helmet but I didn't realise that BC was the same height as Caleb. Keeping the ball and step stepping away from opponents until he gets the best option is a lot like Barry Cable too.

Barry Cable used to have a nap just before the game as part of his prematch routine. It drove Barrassi mad. He must have been a gun if Ron Barrassi was prepared to put up with him having a bit of a snooze pre game.

F'scary
04-04-2016, 10:27 PM
His tackling is better in his 2nd year. Last year, he was being brushed off like a fly a lot of the time. This year...well, he got a free against mzungu for a goal and I thought in match 2 he made them stick as well.

Scorlibo
04-04-2016, 10:32 PM

Agree. When you hear Caleb's name called on the radio the heart rate goes down for a split second.

josie
04-04-2016, 10:34 PM
There have been recent comparisons between Stringer and Ablett Snr, but I think the most striking similarity between one of our players and a champion of the past is Caleb Daniel and Barry Cable. Both 168cm, both not particularly quick, both incredible users of the ball with great vision and the ability to make the game slow down. Cable was one of the all time greats and I thnk Caleb may well leave his own mark on football history.

I have vague memories of Cable, and can recall how well respected he was - solidly built fella and fair headed I recall.

I just love Daniel - my fave player now alongside Picken. Become a crowd fave with just a handful of games is testimony to his immense silky class (inversely proportional to his height). Go Mighty Mouse!! Also speaking on behalf of the ladies he is good lookin' chap of which we have a good share of. I think lads like Daniel are going to make this a year to remember for the mighty dogs.

Twodogs
04-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Agree. When you hear Caleb's name called on the radio the heart rate goes down for a split second.

On his TAC cup highlights reel there is one where Caleb gets the ball deep in defence and the opposition set up a sort of screen in front of him. So Caleb just runs at it and the players in it start running backwards so he just bounces the ball to the 50 metre and kicks a goal while 4 or 5 opposition players run carefully 7-10 metres in front of him.

jeemak
05-04-2016, 12:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a much respected poster on here who doesn't post as much as I'm sure we'd all like suggested he was the most talented player in his draft year.

Is it any surprise we're raving about him?

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 01:25 AM
He did. And he would know. I wouldn't be overly surprised if he was at the top of some retrospective drafts in future years.

1eyedog
05-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a much respected poster on here who doesn't post as much as I'm sure we'd all like suggested he was the most talented player in his draft year.

Is it any surprise we're raving about him?

Yes I remember implied that if he was of average height he would of went close to number 1.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2016, 10:57 AM
The way he sold "candy" on Saturday night to kick that goal in traffic was superb. Love Caleb especially when he is the Candyman.

KT31
05-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Love this kid, his endeavour to win the ball and contest is brilliant.

hujsh
05-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Yes I remember implied that if he was of average height he would of went close to number 1.

I'm pretty sure no implication was needed. IIRC he flat out said he was the most talented or best footballer and would be no.1 if he was taller.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm pretty sure no implication was needed. IIRC he flat out said he was the most talented or best footballer and would be no.1 if he was taller.

He was that ardant about him. I was happy to get him maybe because of what I had read on WOOF.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2016, 08:04 PM
I saw Caleb at the Championships on tv and he was easily best on the ground in the game I saw.

merantau
05-04-2016, 08:39 PM
The way he sold "candy" on Saturday night to kick that goal in traffic was superb. Love Caleb especially when he is the Candyman.
Agree 100%. That move was simply breathtaking in its seamless transition from take possession, make a couple of opponents look like rolled gold chumps, kick goal - just like that. He made it look so simple, like he could do it with his eyes closed. I just loved it.

Smads57
05-04-2016, 09:06 PM
I've got $10 on Caleb to win this year's Rising Star award. What do others think - is he a chance? Could be an even field this year with McLean also eligible (put $10 on him as well - didn't want to appear to be playing favourites!)

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Fair chance. The bandwagon is rolling up some steam.

F'scary
05-04-2016, 11:27 PM
My impression is that Caleb is a bit of a red time specialist. Perhaps it is his superior stamina.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2016, 01:57 AM
I saw Caleb at the Championships on tv and he was easily best on the ground in the game I saw.

If that's the game I saw, the commentators almost had to start abbreviating his name, because repetition is awkward. Everywhere.

Remi Moses
06-04-2016, 03:18 AM
Cable was incredible with the ball in his hands .
I always feel at ease when Caleb has the ball .

Bulldog4life
06-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Agree 100%. That move was simply breathtaking in its seamless transition from take possession, make a couple of opponents look like rolled gold chumps, kick goal - just like that. He made it look so simple, like he could do it with his eyes closed. I just loved it.

Reminded me of an old doggie David Thorpe who used to sell candy multiple times a game. I used to love it then and love it now.

1eyedog
06-04-2016, 09:33 AM
He looked so composed in that situation when around him was absolute mayhem. What confidence, what daring, what brashness.

Maddog37
06-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Wait til he gets his confidence up!!

bulldogtragic
15-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Caleb Daniel 2016 rankings against other qualifying rising stars for the entire competition.

Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Kicks
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Handballs
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Disposals
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Marks
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Goals
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Tackles
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Supercoach Score
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Uncontested Possessions
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Clangers
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Clearances
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Rebound 50s
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total One Percenters
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Time On Ground %
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Kicks Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Marks Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Goals Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game
Ranked 1st among rising stars in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Time On Ground % Per Game

1eyedog
15-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Oh wow

F'scary
15-04-2016, 02:02 PM
thanks Liam for not wanting your hair blow-dried by Macca. Thanks Carton for making sure he didn't change his mind.

Eastdog
17-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Thought he was great last night.

Dancin' Douggy
17-04-2016, 08:27 PM
thanks Liam for not wanting your hair blow-dried by Macca. Thanks Carton for making sure he didn't change his mind.

Carton. Very good. LOL

F'scary
20-04-2016, 08:31 PM
The more I see Caleb play, the more he reminds me of champion Blues rover, Rod Ashman.

Webby
20-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Daniel's speed of thought is incredible. His decision making, reactions and reflexes are on another plane to the rest of the comp. as midfielders are getting bigger and taller, he's really demonstrated a niche that's opened up for the quick thinking, lower geared small player.

He's just lightning in tight space and uses the ball beautifully. He will become a cult figure for this club... And the fact that we got him with our Liam Jones trade pick makes him all the more likeable!

merantau
12-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Yesterday's game against Port further confirmed Caleb's stature as an elite user of the ball. When he has the ball it's almost axiomatic that something good is going to happen. He is a very clever footballer.

ledge
13-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Bartlett and Wallace mentioned that on radio today

bulldogtragic
13-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Caleb's year to date, even with an injury.

Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Disposals
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Marks
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Supercoach Score
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Clangers
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Rebound 50s
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Bounces
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Kicks Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Marks Per Game
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Clangers Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Time On Ground % Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Effective Disposals % Per Game

EasternWest
13-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Caleb's year to date, even with an injury.

Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Disposals
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Marks
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Supercoach Score
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Clangers
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Rebound 50s
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Bounces
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Kicks Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Marks Per Game
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Clangers Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Time On Ground % Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Effective Disposals % Per Game

Because that's too many words for me to read can you tell me if you think that means he's winning?

bulldogtragic
13-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Because that's too many words for me to read can you tell me if you think that means he's winning?

It means he should be talked about as being in contention for winning the rising star award.

bornadog
13-06-2016, 04:55 PM
It means he should be talked about as being in contention for winning the rising star award.

He won't be because we know that the Dogs are ignored, but he should be a contender.

anfo27
13-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Always thought Caleb reminds me of Brent Harvey. When Caleb gets the ball he very rarely gives it first time, he always seems to sell some candy with the handball or just hold it there. That always gives him extra time to make a better decision with the ball. Brent Harvey was a master at this in his hay day, is past it now though but hey lets hope he signs for another year.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-06-2016, 01:24 AM
Was very, very important in the last quarter. Thought he was a big part of why we won (along with Stringer's last qtr and Bonti)