PDA

View Full Version : Draft Day 2014: Closet to The Pin

bulldogtragic
27-11-2014, 03:38 PM
A bit of fun, the closest to the pin gets bragging rights for 12 months.

EVW, Menadue, Smith, Drummond, J. Foster.

soupman
27-11-2014, 03:45 PM
A Neal-Bullen, D McKenzie, T McLean, D Nielson, J Nelson

The Bulldogs Bite
27-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Menadue
Miller
Nielson
Smith
Cunico

LostDoggy
27-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Reece McKenzie
Lukas Webb
Alex Neal-Bullen
Damien Cavka
Jayden Foster

The Underdog
27-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Miller
Menadue
McLean
C.Smith
Dear

DOG GOD
27-11-2014, 04:57 PM
McLean
Keitel
Webb
Wigg
Drummond

bulldogsman
27-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Vickers-Willis
Webb
Miller
Nielson
Smith

Remi Moses
27-11-2014, 06:36 PM
DVR
EVW
NB
I feel a pattern developing here

LostDoggy
27-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Menadue
Vickers-Willis
R.McKenzie
McLean
Wigg

The Doctor
27-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Webb, Hamilton, Nielsen, Wigg, Cunico

Remi Moses
27-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't mind a key back dogs

GVGjr
27-11-2014, 08:53 PM
3 selections completed with 2 more live ones in the 3rd round to come.

All midfielder types so far. We need to balance this with a KPP. Does this bring Harry Dear into the mix?

Pretty happy with what we have done so far.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2014, 08:54 PM

All midfielder types so far. We need to balance this with a KPP. Does this bring Harry Dear into the mix?

McKenzie or Foster?

The Doctor
27-11-2014, 08:56 PM

got 2 out of 3 so far. Definately go for a KP defender if there is a good one left or a ruckman

GVGjr
27-11-2014, 08:58 PM
All midfielder types. We overlooked some KP options.

G-Mo77
27-11-2014, 09:01 PM

Look I'll put my hand up and say I know very little about the under 18's but I'm scratching my head we didn't go for a big. What happens if Boyd gets injured? Seems short sited to me.

Webby
27-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Does Dalrymple have a midget fetish or something?! FFS, get some height!!!!!!

GVGjr
27-11-2014, 09:08 PM

Midfielders are typically the safer bet.

F'scary
27-11-2014, 09:09 PM

Maybe Dalrymple was at the St Kilda players Mad Monday in 2013?

LostDoggy
27-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Lets remember we also picked up Zane, Hamling and Boyd this off season.

We lost Griffen Cooney and Higgins

Our selections seem focused on covering the above losses. Skills, Smarts and goal kicking midfielders.

I'm very happy.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Not sure on Caleb at all.

How many midgets do we need?

Go_Dogs
27-11-2014, 09:15 PM

Our selections seem focused on covering the above losses. Skills, Smarts and goal kicking midfielders.

I'm very happy.

Spot on. One tall for balance would've been good, but can't knock our selections.

G-Mo77
27-11-2014, 09:19 PM

I'm very happy.

That makes sense but it's not like our tall stocks are deep. We've got some talls there and very little are proven at AFL level that includes Brad Boyd.

dog town
27-11-2014, 09:23 PM
If they didn't rate any of the talls available at our picks then what would be the point in taking them? I share the concern that we have quite a few of the same type but there is some flexibility in them. Dahlhaus is due to go into the midfield, Hrovat will eventually and most of them have 1 or 2 unique skills that sets them apart from each other.

Has anyone noticed Dalrymple has no problem picking clean hands, good in traffic/evasive over kicking depth? Seems to rate guys who are clean with the ball and can get out of heavy traffic. The last 3 years are littered with guys like this. Macrae and Hamilton stand out as guys who are good users and quite evasive but not huge kicks. Good at keeping the ball.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-11-2014, 09:32 PM
We lost a golden opportunity to draft a couple of two young key defenders through not having a draft selection until 26. Daniel Neilson was highly recommended as a key defender/ Forward to the club but was picked up by North at pick 25. The main early criticism has been the overall lack of height in our selections.

Webby
27-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Midfielders are typically the safer bet.

Fair comment. However a bit of a mix would be handy.

GVGjr
27-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Fair comment. However a bit of a mix would be handy.

I'd been advocating that for a few weeks. I still think we needed a KP player. Maybe the rookie draft will get us one.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-11-2014, 09:39 PM
I'd been advocating that for a few weeks. I still think we needed a KP player. Maybe the rookie draft will get us one.

Which would you have taken/in place of who?

McDonald instead of Daniel would have been my preferred option.

Twodogs
27-11-2014, 10:00 PM
If they didn't rate any of the talls available at our picks then what would be the point in taking them? I share the concern that we have quite a few of the same type but there is some flexibility in them. Dahlhaus is due to go into the midfield, Hrovat will eventually and most of them have 1 or 2 unique skills that sets them apart from each other.

Has anyone noticed Dalrymple has no problem picking clean hands, good in traffic/evasive over kicking depth? Seems to rate guys who are clean with the ball and can get out of heavy traffic. The last 3 years are littered with guys like this. Macrae and Hamilton stand out as guys who are good users and quite evasive but not huge kicks. Good at keeping the ball.

The first thing I noticed about Bailey Dale is his shuffle sideways out of trouble. It's pretty impressive.

I'm pretty happy with the players we have picked. I have high hopes for Webb. We traded in taller players in case it panned out like this I reckon. And we have quite a few developing talls on the list already.

Remi Moses
27-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Surprised they didn't pick up a key back to be honest.
Talia and Roberts need to step up now

GVGjr
27-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Hamling and maybe Redpath as well.

boydogs
27-11-2014, 10:43 PM

That would have made it 3 in the one off-season with Hamling & Cordy already onboard

Picking KP's at 18 is risky, I'm pretty happy with our approach

Remi Moses
28-11-2014, 03:01 AM
That would have made it 3 in the one off-season with Hamling & Cordy already onboard

Picking KP's at 18 is risky, I'm pretty happy with our approach

Clearly the key bigs we rated already had been taken .
People talking McDonald are forgetting he was taken at 53.
We need a quality rated young key back and not just one for the sake of it .

KT31
30-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Clearly the key bigs we rated already had been taken .
People talking McDonald are forgetting he was taken at 53.
We need a quality rated young key back and not just one for the sake of it .

I agree with you Remi that if we didn't rate Mcdonald as quality then we shouldn't have taken him, though 53 is 18 less selections than Brian Lake's.

Remi Moses
30-11-2014, 04:36 PM
I agree with you Remi that if we didn't rate Mcdonald as quality then we shouldn't have taken him, though 53 is 18 less selections than Brian Lake's.

True, but really Lake's issues were health wise more than ability.
I think the rookie draft should be looked at .

F'scary
02-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Just had a look through around 10 of the BF phantom drafts. This is purely impressionistic but first thing I noticed was that they all only had a few correct, even in the top 10. Second, with most, they weren't even close to the pick #. Third, our pick ups were consistently rated right down the back end of the draft with the exception in some cases of McLean or not selected at all (Caleb Daniel). Lastly, common choices in fact didn't get drafted at all.

Perhaps some of the surprise among many of we Woofers at our selections was that our perceptions had been influenced by the BF (et al) drafts? Oscar McDonald, e.g., was repeatedly seen as a sure fire 21-30 pick and often linked to our first two picks. Well he went in the 50's.

It would be interesting to make a more scientific study of the pundits' choices and the actual draft.

boydogs
02-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Oscar McDonald, e.g., was repeatedly seen as a sure fire 21-30 pick and often linked to our first two picks. Well he went in the 50's.

I think what sometimes happens is people look at what type of player that club needs, and pick the best one from what's left. If that's the way it worked there would be half a dozen ruckmen drafted.