PDA

View Full Version : Jayden Foster

bulldogtragic
27-11-2014, 06:00 PM
If Carlton will take him after Zaine's selection, do we take him, risk it or expect to rookie him?

soupman
27-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Stick to our original plan, which was to not draft him.

If he makes it to the rookie draft and we want him there take him as a rookie. If Carlton rate him higher than us then they can have him.

LostDoggy
27-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Carlton seem very keen on second rate talls at the moment.

Would rookie Foster, but not use 46.

bulldogsman
27-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Don't want him at all. His endurance appears to be very ordinary, blew up in 2nd half of the TAC grand final. Doesn't have the strongest hands either, for a KPF.

FrediKanoute
27-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Shame though it may be, its nostalgia that is driving the Foster push. Trust Macca et al that they have done their homework.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Foster going to Carlton with 63. Done.

GVGjr
27-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Good luck to him

Webby
27-11-2014, 09:12 PM
We were foolish not to nominate him. I think we'll regret it...

It's hard to have faith on a night where we've drafted just one player above 6 foot..!

G-Mo77
27-11-2014, 09:21 PM

It's hard to have faith on a night where we've drafted just one player above 6 foot..!

We could have nominated him as rookie selection couldn't we?

I'm like you Webby. I feel our selections were very short sited. No pun intended.

divvydan
27-11-2014, 09:24 PM
We could have nominated him as rookie selection couldn't we?

I'm like you Webby. I feel our selections were very short sited. No pun intended.

If we nominated him as a rookie selection, Carlton still had the opportunity to select him in the ND so nothing changes.

G-Mo77
27-11-2014, 09:24 PM
If we nominated him as a rookie selection, Carlton still had the opportunity to select him in the ND so nothing changes.

Ahh OK. Thanks

Mitcha
27-11-2014, 09:38 PM

Your opinion and you are entitled to it, Foster is a wait and see, not convinced you can be so sure we will come to regret not taking him. Regarding your lack of faith in the lack of height drafted tonight, I believe that the trade period addressed some of your concerns with Boyd 199cms, Hamling 195cm, and Cordy 192cm joining the club. Tonight seemed to be about improving some glaring ground level weaknesses notably decision making and disposal efficiency which I am sure is a concern for most on here.

Go_Dogs
27-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Your opinion and you are entitled to it, Foster is a wait and see, not convinced you can be so sure we will come to regret not taking him. Regarding your lack of faith in the lack of height drafted tonight, I believe that the trade period addressed some of your concerns with Boyd 199cms, Hamling 195cm, and Cordy 192cm joining the club. Tonight seemed to be about improving some glaring ground level weaknesses notably decision making and disposal efficiency which I am sure is a concern for most on here.

Good post, Mitcha.

Webby
27-11-2014, 11:01 PM

We've been undersized since the late 1970's. Constantly one or two talls short of a genuine flag shot, so forgive my frustration.

And during that time, I've seen a bloke called Peter Foster RULE our half back line for the best part of 8 or 9 seasons as a late bloomer. Then his son (a kid with a big frame and good hands who topped the TAC Cup goal kicking last season) not get nominated with a pick 70/something under the F/S rule... Forgive my disappointment on that one, too!

Particularly when we've got Dahlhaus, Hunter, Honeychurch and Hrovat already... I really do hope we rookie list some talls.. Foster would've been nice.... But we rolled the dice tonight and lost on that front. Disappointing.

Avoid the rush
27-11-2014, 11:10 PM
We've been undersized since the late 1970's. Constantly one or two talls short of a genuine flag shot, so forgive my frustration.

And during that time, I've seen a bloke called Peter Foster RULE our half back line for the best part of 8 or 9 seasons as a late bloomer. Then his son (a kid with a big frame and good hands who topped the TAC Cup goal kicking last season) not get nominated with a pick 70/something under the F/S rule... Forgive my disappointment on that one, too!

Particularly when we've got Dahlhaus, Hunter, Honeychurch and Hrovat already... I really do hope we rookie list some talls.. Foster would've been nice.... But we rolled the dice tonight and lost on that front. Disappointing.

Seriously!!!! The draft has been an overwhelming success for our club! CLASS! CLASS and more CLASS!! We have enough big blokes!!! In the centre bounce it will be a toss up weather Bonti , Macrae , or Minsen will go in the ruck!! Whoever it is will give it to a classy mid.......just watch Mclean , Jong , Hrovat or Daniels use their skills. Cannot wait till 2015

Webby
27-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Seriously!!!! The draft has been an overwhelming success for our club! CLASS! CLASS and more CLASS!! We have enough big blokes!!! In the centre bounce it will be a toss up weather Bonti , Macrae , or Minsen will go in the ruck!! Whoever it is will give it to a classy mid.......just watch Mclean , Jong , Hrovat or Daniels use their skills. Cannot wait till 2015

Kool-Aid..... I thought it only came in Bombers flavour... Turns out it's now available in Bulldog..

I'm sure every club has supporters dreaming the dream after tonight. Tonight we'll have one or two hits and one or two misses. That's the law of averages with 2nd to fifth round picks... However, with Foster we had one in our lap, and we blew it.

Sorry, but I'm not exactly punching the air tonight!

bulldogtragic
27-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Kool-Aid..... I thought it only came in Bombers flavour... Turns out it's now available in Bulldog..

I'm sure every club has supporters dreaming the dream after tonight. Tonight we'll have one or two hits and one or two misses. That's the law of averages with 2nd to fifth round picks... However, with Foster we had one in our lap, and we blew it.

Sorry, but I'm not exactly punching the air tonight!

We didn't rate him, it's that simple. I did, but that's me. A former person of the club recently indicated to me that there was interest from Carlton and there were question marks over some areas of his game. Foster was never going sub 62 so we didn't rate him worth pick 80. We used it on Redpath and kept Fuller. I guess history will determine correctness or not.

jeemak
27-11-2014, 11:47 PM
For me the draft was about getting as much talent as we could onto the list as possible - especially as we'd already taken the time to draft and trade in some taller players prior to tonight.

Time will tell, though it seems Foster didn't meet the talent criteria and we moved on. I don't see any issue with not taking him, he could easily turn out to be another Panos.

bornadog
27-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Mick Malthouse coached his father and now Peter's son.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-11-2014, 11:56 PM
If his last name wasn't Foster, would anyone care?

Is there a thread as to why we didn't take Reece McKenzie? Oscar McDonald?

FrediKanoute
28-11-2014, 12:00 AM
If his last name wasn't Foster, would anyone care?

Is there a thread as to why we didn't take Reece McKenzie? Oscar McDonald?

I was surprised McDonald dropped so low, steal for melbourne IMO.

On Foster, I am disappointed, but only because I like seeing sons follow in their father's footsteps. He is not the first sone we haven't taken - Whitten & Kennedy for arguments sake and TBH we have to trust the guys who watch games every week to make an assessment.

hujsh
28-11-2014, 01:28 AM
We won't be able to call any aspect of this draft a success or failure until a few years have passed. Maybe we made a few clangers tonight, maybe we've got a supergroup. We'll all play captain hindsight with Foster but he's supposedly not been that impressive and we didn't appear to rate him higher than Redpath Jong or [insert name here] so it doesn't seem like a bad decision.

LostDoggy
28-11-2014, 01:35 AM
Don't get the uproar about missing Foster. He would have cost us pick 46. This means that every club in between 47 and 63 could have got Foster cheaper than we could have. If we have made a mistake, these other clubs have made a bigger one!

stefoid
28-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Don't get the uproar about missing Foster. He would have cost us pick 46. This means that every club in between 47 and 63 could have got Foster cheaper than we could have. If we have made a mistake, these other clubs have made a bigger one!

we would have had to spend our pick after Cordy on him - something in the 80s, had we nominated him. The question is whose list spot would he have taken?

azabob
28-11-2014, 03:20 PM
we would have had to spend our pick after Cordy on him - something in the 80s, had we nominated him. The question is whose list spot would he have taken?

My read on it was it was either Foster or Redpath.

Remi Moses
28-11-2014, 03:35 PM
You only have to have a peek at the TAC leading goal kickers over the years.
Not exactly a cavalcade of stars

Remi Moses
28-11-2014, 03:36 PM
My read on it was it was either Foster or Redpath.

That's my reading of it as well.

LostDoggy
28-11-2014, 03:50 PM

Yeh sorry, we would have effectively had to use 46 as we would have left that pick in the bag. Maybe we could have taken Foster at 80 odd then bundled up a couple of picks in a trade to get. An upgrade. Anyway all done now. Good luck to him at Carlton, hope he succeeds, but the team doesn't.

hujsh
28-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Yeh sorry, we would have effectively had to use 46 as we would have left that pick in the bag. Maybe we could have taken Foster at 80 odd then bundled up a couple of picks in a trade to get. An upgrade. Anyway all done now. Good luck to him at Carlton, hope he succeeds, but the team doesn't.

Could have nominated him for FS, used a pick after Zaine and we wouldn't have elevated one of the rookies. If we wanted him.

LostDoggy
28-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Luckily we have our brand new Cordy F/S's coming into the club this year with the same level of development to offset the pain (even though he's shit of course) of not getting Foster.

LostDoggy
28-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Have a bad feeling about Foster. He is improving all the time and entering an AFL environment his improvement will continue even quicker.

We stuffed up and I feel for Peter who was one of my faves. Mick loved him thats why they took him. Jack has had opportunities and he should have made way in my mind. I'm not taking any notice of TAC leading goalkicker I got burned with Mckinley I just have a bad feeling thats all.

How many f/s have we over looked and they have been picked up elsewhere.

azabob
28-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Have a bad feeling about Foster. He is improving all the time and entering an AFL environment his improvement will continue even quicker.

We stuffed up and I feel for Peter who was one of my faves. Mick loved him thats why they took him. Jack has had opportunities and he should have made way in my mind. I'm not taking any notice of TAC leading goalkicker I got burned with Mckinley I just have a bad feeling thats all.

How many f/s have we over looked and they have been picked up elsewhere.

None to my knowledge.

boydogs
28-11-2014, 09:54 PM

We stuffed up and I feel for Peter who was one of my faves. Mick loved him thats why they took him. Jack has had opportunities and he should have made way in my mind.

Redpath went from defender to leading goalkicker in the VFL in a season

LostDoggy
29-11-2014, 01:09 AM
Redpath went from defender to leading goalkicker in the VFL in a season

Where is his spot in the AFL? At Footscray he might play forward, in the firsts I can't see it.I watched him down in Geelong against the Saints, was a mile off it.

LostDoggy
29-11-2014, 01:15 AM
None to my knowledge.

Ironic a Forward has to be the first. Wow we will look the fool if we have stuffed this up. He was worth a punt considering the ones we have punted on before. Good luck to him hopefully he has a career and makes it, hopefully he comes home when we are good.

boydogs
29-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Where is his spot in the AFL? At Footscray he might play forward, in the firsts I can't see it.I watched him down in Geelong against the Saints, was a mile off it.

Yeah he is but he's showing as much rapid improvement as Foster has

Twodogs
29-11-2014, 02:50 AM
I'm disappointed to miss out on Foster. I used to see him at games when he was a kid with his dad and it would have been great to see him running around in the old jumper. I would have liked someone from the recruiting department to sit down and watch a few of Peters games from around the time he showed rapid improvement before they made the call in order to see just how the kid could improve because Jayden is very similar to his old man and I have a strong feeling he will improve at a similar age.

Anyway now that I have that off my chest I'm still very happy with the guys we have drafted. They are all capable of filling holes on our list. And we have plenty of developing talls.

Hopefully it will be a case of us winning flags with plenty of talls and watching Jayden have a fine career at Carlton.

LostDoggy
29-11-2014, 03:25 AM
Yeah he is but he's showing as much rapid improvement as Foster has

I disagree, he was 21 when taken and has had three years on the list. The Bombers had already seen enough and he has already done two knees. I've got nothing against the bloke personally and definitely hope he proves me wrong but to give him a spot over a Favorite Son and a big forward at that for me its a mistake how big is the only worry. Even if he didn't work out as a forward he could've took his dads old position.

We gambled when we shouldn't have played a hand.

The Underdog
29-11-2014, 12:32 PM
In the end we're probably arguing over whether we kept Trent Bartlett over drafting Adam Morgan.

Remi Moses
29-11-2014, 02:23 PM
For goodness sake how on earth have we " stuffed up"
It will only be viewed that way if Foster has a great AFL career.
Just have a look at the leading goal kickers in past years.
Don't see a plugger or Dunstall amongst that lot.

Remi Moses
29-11-2014, 02:25 PM
I disagree, he was 21 when taken and has had three years on the list. The Bombers had already seen enough and he has already done two knees. I've got nothing against the bloke personally and definitely hope he proves me wrong but to give him a spot over a Favorite Son and a big forward at that for me its a mistake how big is the only worry. Even if he didn't work out as a forward he could've took his dads old position.

We gambled when we shouldn't have played a hand.

If we had of put a bid in we would have been giving up an earlier pick.
Just remember young Foster went with a pick in the 60's, so I take quite a few clubs didn't rate him.

LostDoggy
29-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Mick loved him thats why they took him.

With their last pick in the draft.

boydogs
29-11-2014, 04:43 PM
With their last pick in the draft.

And with a mature player strategy. Pick 7 for Jaksch (20), Whiley (21) & Pick 19 (Boekhorst, 21)

chef
29-11-2014, 04:57 PM
If his last name wasnt Foster would anyone care?

bulldogtragic
29-11-2014, 05:05 PM

I get your point, and the conversation is a delayed reaction in truth. We time for us to act was the bidding process a month ago. We knew at a club level Carlton were interested and opted not to bid. It is because his surname is Foster and we could have used pick 80 to secure him. I think he was worth that, the club didn't. That speaks volumes that we knew pick 80 was the likely asking price and we said no. I like him as a project, but the club didn't. Neither did other clubs bleeding for a key forward. It's moot now.

Remi Moses
29-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Of course they wouldn't . It once again illustrates our supporters fawning over players.

LostDoggy
29-11-2014, 10:43 PM
For goodness sake how on earth have we " stuffed up"
It will only be viewed that way if Foster has a great AFL career.
Just have a look at the leading goal kickers in past years.
Don't see a plugger or Dunstall amongst that lot.

You got me wrong Remi, I said 'if' big difference to 'we have'. I don't think anyone was hanging their hat on him being a leading goal kicker, you only have to look at Ben Mckinley to know it means little, all it says is he can kick a goal.

Most of the debate was if he was worth a punt over Redpath, not an earlier pick. If he was the first f/s overlooked but picked up by an other team it would be cruelly ironic that it was a big forward. For me his Pedigree is Top Shelf and well worth a punt over Redpath who I don't rate (but would be gladly proven wrong).

FWIW No if his last name wasn't Foster then I wouldn't care. I don't like the idea of a Son Of A Gun running around elsewhere that's all.

But it's definitely time to build a bridge.

Remi Moses
30-11-2014, 12:27 AM
You got me wrong Remi, I said 'if' big difference to 'we have'. I don't think anyone was hanging their hat on him being a leading goal kicker, you only have to look at Ben Mckinley to know it means little, all it says is he can kick a goal.

Most of the debate was if he was worth a punt over Redpath, not an earlier pick. If he was the first f/s overlooked but picked up by an other team it would be cruelly ironic that it was a big forward. For me his Pedigree is Top Shelf and well worth a punt over Redpath who I don't rate (but would be gladly proven wrong).

FWIW No if his last name wasn't Foster then I wouldn't care. I don't like the idea of a Son Of A Gun running around elsewhere that's all.

But it's definitely time to build a bridge.
Of course it will hurt if he becomes a good AFL player.
Honestly history is littered though with players not as good as their fathers or vice versa.

Remi Moses
30-11-2014, 12:31 AM
I don't get how Redpath ( dominates at VFL level ) can be compared to Foster( who did well as an overager at TAC level)
If Foster does well at VFL level, then we can compare.
Until this happens you can't compare him to Redpath

LostDoggy
30-11-2014, 01:00 AM
Of course it will hurt if he becomes a good AFL player.
Honestly history is littered though with players not as good as their fathers or vice versa.

Ablett?

jeemak
30-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Ironic a Forward has to be the first. Wow we will look the fool if we have stuffed this up. He was worth a punt considering the ones we have punted on before. Good luck to him hopefully he has a career and makes it, hopefully he comes home when we are good.

Hopefully we're getting better and we don't waste our time on the average forwards that we have in the past, or those that have been just as good as them.

LostDoggy
30-11-2014, 09:02 AM
And with a mature player strategy. Pick 7 for Jaksch (20), Whiley (21) & Pick 19 (Boekhorst, 21)

I told them on Big Footy that their trade/draft period reminded me on when Voss took over at Brisbane. Regardless of accuracy it got a couple of baggers upset, so my work was successful.

hujsh
30-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Ablett?

Counter with Ablett (N)

mighty_west
30-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Ablett?

David Round (Barry)
Dean Whitten (Ted)
Ayce Cordy (Brian)

mighty_west
30-11-2014, 10:49 AM
I was a Peter (Fossie) fan as much as anyone, but simply if we didn't rate him, I actually hope he does become a good player regardless of which club he ended up at, but I also hope our club wins Premierships.

Now that he's a Carlton player, he's just another opposition player and not alot different to players traded from the Dogs to other sides and by the sounds of things we are going to have plenty of chances to draft other father sons, like Rick Kennedy's son, sounds like he's not good enough (at this stage), so be it.

KT31
30-11-2014, 11:00 AM
I was a Peter (Fossie) fan as much as anyone, but simply if we didn't rate him, I actually hope he does become a good player regardless of which club he ended up at, but I also hope our club wins Premierships.

Now that he's a Carlton player, he's just another opposition player and not alot different to players traded from the Dogs to other sides and by the sounds of things we are going to have plenty of chances to draft other father sons, like Rick Kennedy's son, sounds like he's not good enough (at this stage), so be it.
Agree MW and from the sounds of things Ricks young bloke isn't going to be the only one we will pass over as Father sons.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Counter with Ablett (N)

Premiership Full Forward? :)

Mofra
30-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Seriously!!!! The draft has been an overwhelming success for our club! CLASS! CLASS and more CLASS!! We have enough big blokes!!!
Disagree - and we certainly don;t have enough good big blokes

In the centre bounce it will be a toss up weather Bonti , Macrae , or Minsen will go in the ruck!! Whoever it is will give it to a classy mid.......just watch Mclean , Jong , Hrovat or Daniels use their skills. Cannot wait till 2015
Taking the piss, surely...

boydogs
30-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Disagree - and we certainly don;t have enough good big blokes

Good, or good for their age?

You'll always get more from a 21yo mid than a 21yo KPP

Taking the piss, surely...

Making the point we have a few tall mids on the list already

Twodogs
11-12-2016, 03:17 PM
I've read that Jayden is training at Footscray hoping for a spot on their list this year. It'd be great to have him playing at Footscray.

bulldogtragic
11-12-2016, 03:31 PM
I've read that Jayden is training at Footscray hoping for a spot on their list this year. It'd be great to have him playing at Footscray.

Not great timing for him with 6 big fellas recruited with an eye for the AFEL. Good luck to him.

GVGjr
11-12-2016, 04:22 PM

As BT said, we just drafted 5 tall forwards and a ruckman who will need to play a lot as a forward so even with a couple of them moved to other positions young Jayden will have his work cut out to find a spot.

Twodogs
11-12-2016, 04:49 PM
As BT said, we just drafted 5 tall forwards and a ruckman who will need to play a lot as a forward so even with a couple of them moved to other positions young Jayden will have his work cut out to find a spot.

Has he played much down back? We do very much need a natural tall defender.

bulldogtragic
11-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Has he played much down back? We do very much need a natural tall defender.

That's where the Northern Blues played him (unsuccessfully), despite being a natural forward his entire juniors.

ledge
11-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Just for the record Hugh Wales has bought his younger brother down to Footscray apparently goes well .. Might have two Wales there next year. If he is like Hugh he would be pretty tall also.