PDA

View Full Version : 1999 and 2014 Drafts WBFC

bulldogtragic
27-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Not dissimilar in terms of mid range picks after a clear out and a deep draft.

Big Trades: Monty, Leon, Powell (Eagleton)
Recycle: Wills
Draft: Skinny Bob, Gia, Gilbee (180cm), Shaggy (3rd tall), Hahn (utility), Wiggins and The Tin Man.

Big Trades: Griffen, Cooney, Higgins (Boyd)
Recycle: Hamling
Draft: McLean, Webb, Dale, Daniel, Hamilton, Zaine (3rd tall)

Make of it what you will. Also make of the misses and failure of Wiggins & Bowden during the last prelims.

Twodogs
29-11-2014, 02:38 AM
Not dissimilar in terms of mid range picks after a clear out and a deep draft.

Big Trades: Monty, Leon, Powell (Eagleton)
Recycle: Wills
Draft: Skinny Bob, Gia, Gilbee (180cm), Shaggy (3rd tall), Hahn (utility), Wiggins and The Tin Man.

Big Trades: Griffen, Cooney, Higgins (Boyd)
Recycle: Hamling
Draft: McLean, Webb, Dale, Daniel, Hamilton, Zaine (3rd tall)

Make of it what you will. Also make of the misses and failure of Wiggins & Bowden during the last prelims.

Would it be use ful to compare what draft picks we used to take each player over the two years drafts?

Happy Days
29-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Bruh.

Let's not compare a draft class with no first round picks the day after they're drafted to our best draft ever.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Bruh.

Let's not compare a draft class with no first round picks the day after they're drafted to our best draft ever.

It's more of a perception test, than a player of skill comparison. I didn't want to contiminate the conversation, but I will now. Some have talked going completely too small as a strategy, me being one who thinks we needed one more tall. But the 2014 strategy seems very close to the 1999 strategy, especially when you look at the outs which are both high production mids. What the big trades did was allow us to get a skillful player in. I think in 08-10 the 1999 draft players were excellent, outside crucial misses for goal from Eagleton, Gilbee & Gia. What I take from the names and looking forward, is we landed a gorilla which we didn't get in 1999 or later. When you see all the outs, a strategy of best available can be very successful. For me, there are a lot similarities with the entire list management, especially after the draft. But as I say it's whatever you see from the OP.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs
Would it be use ful to compare what draft picks we used to take each player over the two years drafts?

Bob 13 (Pick 6 used part for Boyd) - 186-201cm
Gia 32 (McLean 26) - 182-179cm
Wiggins 35 (Webb 27) - 196-186cm
Hahn 37 (Hamilton 39) - 188-182cm
Gilbee 43 (Dale 45) - 180-183cm
Bowden 58 (Daniel 46) - 191-167cm
Shaggy 66 (Cordy 62) - 190-193cm
*kids still growing.

Recycles: Eagleton 180, Wills 184, Bartlett 189 - - - Hamling 194, Biggs 189, Jong 190, Redpath 194.

There was some talent still around at most picks. Wiggins was an over reach. There were a lot of spudly talls around our picks, but the best available strategy from mid range picks (outside Bob) payed big dividends. When you compare the losses of gun players from the midfield in both years, the 1999 example showed a dedicated attempt to replace them and we've copied it. Only this time we've added two talls (plus Zaine) through the off season. 1999 teaches us to stick to quality and not overreach. I don't think anyone called our 1999 crop small, and this class is 1cm different in height average. There are a few similarities, just hope the players turn out to be something like the super draft of 1999.

boydogs
29-11-2014, 04:18 PM
There was some talent still around at most picks. Wiggins was an over reach. There were a lot of spudly talls around our picks, but the best available strategy from mid range picks (outside Bob) payed big dividends. When you compare the losses of gun players from the midfield in both years, the 1999 example showed a dedicated attempt to replace them and we've copied it. Only this time we've added two talls (plus Zaine) through the off season. 1999 teaches us to stick to quality and not overreach. I don't think anyone called our 1999 crop small, and this class is 1cm different in height average. There are a few similarities, just hope the players turn out to be something like the super draft of 1999.

Exactly. If we didn't rate McDonald, Foster or McKenzie, then we shouldn't have taken them. All 3 went later than our last pick #46 so they can't be that good.

We've brought in 4 players to the club that are 192cm or taller compared to 0 in 1999, I don't buy the argument that we went too small.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Bruh.

Can I compare now? :D

Twodogs
05-07-2015, 11:13 PM
We made out like bandits with Gia at pick 32 and Shaggy at pick 66. 475 odd games with two picks outside the first round. Outstanding value.

Happy Days
05-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Can I compare now? :D

It's still not fair - look me in the eye and tell me one of the guys picked up compares to Patrick Wiggins.

Twodogs
05-07-2015, 11:19 PM
It's still not fair - look me in the eye and tell me one of the guys picked up compares to Patrick Wiggins.

As scary as it is Tom Boyd would be the Patrick Wiggins of this group of recruits.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 11:30 PM

It has to be Hamilton or Cordy. Not an AFL player as it stands today. :D

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 11:31 PM
As scary as it is Tom Boyd would be the Patrick Wiggins of this group of recruits.

Boyd is a trade, get it right. He's Eagleton.

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 12:53 AM

yeah nah.

Daughter of the West
07-07-2015, 12:26 PM

Boyd has far too much hair for that comparison, surely?

Bulldog4life
07-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Boyd has far too much hair for that comparison, surely?

Like a lot of people Eagleton used to have hair.:) He had hair when he started playing for us.

Twodogs
07-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Like a lot of people Eagleton used to have hair.:) He had hair when he started playing for us.

I had hair when Eagle started playing for us.