PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Draft 2014

The Doctor
28-11-2014, 08:18 AM
What do we need to do to further bolster our list at this year's rookie draft?

Here are a few names to consider

Tyler Keitel
Matt Hammelmann
Dean Capiron
Keenan Ramsey
Peter Bampton
Jess Watchman
Michael Hartley
Brett Eddy
Adam Marcon
Sean McLaren
Mark Kovacavic
Sam Tagliabue
Shannon Taylor

Maddog37
28-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Payne?

Mofra
28-11-2014, 10:16 AM
I really want us to take a genuine KPD - someone who isn't "able to play above his height"

A ruckman would be handy too

The Doctor
28-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Here is a list of delisted players from 2014. Some of these could be worth a second chance?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/features/retirements-and-delistings

KT31
28-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Here is a list of delisted players from 2014. Some of these could be worth a second chance?

Would like us to pick at least one possibly two talls to go onto the Rookie list, who from this lot or missed last night should we look at ?

GVGjr
28-11-2014, 11:58 AM
I'd add Evans and Edwards to the mix for us

Bulldog4life
28-11-2014, 12:02 PM

Luke Thompson would be a good choice in my opinion.

Throughandthrough
28-11-2014, 12:52 PM
How many picks have we got?

And I'd be interested in Ben Edwards. Keenan Ramsay must be shattered not to get picked up.

LostDoggy
28-11-2014, 01:14 PM

And I'd be interested in Ben Edwards. Keenan Ramsay must be shattered not to get picked up.

4. What do you know about Henry Carey T&T?

bulldogtragic
28-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Crips is still there isn't he?
I like Kol for a rookie spot, but looking at last night I'm not sure he is what we need.

G-Mo77
28-11-2014, 01:45 PM

If we retain both Pearce and Greenwood then 2 picks.

F'scary
28-11-2014, 01:55 PM
If we retain both Pearce and Greenwood then 2 picks.

Our picks last night probably spell the end of these two.

Throughandthrough
28-11-2014, 02:40 PM
4. What do you know about Henry Carey T&T?

I know Nothing worthwhile sharing :) (not a negative against him, he's just not a player that's been on my radar)

westdog54
28-11-2014, 04:11 PM

I think we've verbally committed to taking Pearce as a Rookie but I can't see us retaining Greenwood now. Would love for him to stay on the VFL list as he's really come along at that level.

G-Mo77
28-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Yeah I wonder if our selections last night changes our plans.

Personally I'd take Greenwood over Pearce if it come down to one or the other.

GVGjr
28-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Yeah I wonder if our selections last night changes our plans.

Personally I'd take Greenwood over Pearce if it come down to one or the other.

Maybe just a bit but based on what we heard we got every pick we wanted last night in terms of where we thought they might land so any plans for the rookie draft haven't really been interrupted by the picks we made.

What complicates things a bit is that I believe we have committed to Pearce so we probably wouldn't back away from that.
Greenwood appears to be a player we would like to keep but given the players we selected it's a harder sell to the fans. At a guess there is a chance we might be stubborn enough to not want to lose the 3 years of development we have put into him.
Greenwood is more of a mid than the forward/midfielders we drafted last night which might work for him.

If we got two taller guys with our 1st and 2nd picks, Greenwood might be in a stronger position

bulldogtragic
29-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Anyone thinking of a Footscray player to rookie?

bornadog
29-11-2014, 02:41 PM

Ruckman (forgot his name, was it Fogarty)

bulldogtragic
29-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Ruckman

I was thinking that, but I heard we were not all that likely to go with DF.

G-Mo77
29-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Ruckman (forgot his name, was it Fogarty)

Darcy Fort is his name.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Keitel or Jackson get a mention by Toomey as likely rookies who happen to be tall defenders.

F'scary
29-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Maybe just a bit but based on what we heard we got every pick we wanted last night in terms of where we thought they might land so any plans for the rookie draft haven't really been interrupted by the picks we made.

What complicates things a bit is that I believe we have committed to Pearce so we probably wouldn't back away from that.
Greenwood appears to be a player we would like to keep but given the players we selected it's a harder sell to the fans. At a guess there is a chance we might be stubborn enough to not want to lose the 3 years of development we have put into him.
Greenwood is more of a mid than the forward/midfielders we drafted last night which might work for him.

If we got two taller guys with our 1st and 2nd picks, Greenwood might be in a stronger position

I would go for at least 2 KP's. Maybe a CHF and a CHB. Mind you, it could get interesting in our VFL side if Hamling, Redpath, Roberts & Talia can't hold 2 KP positions in the seniors between them.

GVGjr
29-11-2014, 04:20 PM

Will Hayes would be my recommendation.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2014, 04:23 PM

Is he what we need though? We've stocked up hard on smalls and promised Pearce a go in the RD. If it's coverage for players we are flushed with and diversity we want, do we need two of our 4 picks being two mid level VFL players? Just asking the question?

GVGjr
29-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Is he what we need though? We've stocked up hard on smalls and promised Pearce a go in the RD. If it's coverage for players we are flushed with and diversity we want, do we need two of our 4 picks being two mid level VFL players? Just asking the question?

Fits the profile of a midfielder with great endurance which seems to be a priority of ours.

I would suggest that we should target 2 players via the rookie draft that could play some senior football next year but maybe Pearce gets counted as one of them. Luke Thompson might give us a but if insurance as a key defender. He's only played 20 games of AFL football but on our list that isn't too bad especially when he has probably played 60 games of SANFL football.

That would leave us two spots for younger guys.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Fits the profile of a midfielder with great endurance which seems to be a priority of ours.

I would suggest that we should target 2 players via the rookie draft that could play some senior football next year but maybe Pearce gets counted as one of them. Luke Thompson might give us a but if insurance as a key defender. He's only played 20 games of AFL football but on our list that isn't too bad especially when he has probably played 60 games of SANFL football.

That would leave us two spots for younger guys.

If we went that way I'd rather them be with out last picks. Pick 5 in the RD is still a high pick, and some names of tall defenders slipped through. Unless Rought moves forward, then I think it's a must to get a ruckman too.

Greystache
29-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Him or Jensen would be my pick.

I don't think there's much chance we'll take Fort.

Twodogs
29-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Not unless they are planning on pulling a surprise and that's not really this recruiting teams style.

Smads57
30-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Him or Jensen would be my pick.

I don't think there's much chance we'll take Fort.

From a needs basis, I would think Fogarty would have to be a chance as well. He is a good age (23), height (184cm), and can play as a midfielder who could be used in a "run with role" (reminded me of Crossy at times). We'll eventually need someone to take over from Picken.

DOG GOD
30-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Going by his highlights I was suprised keitel didn't get drafted. Would certainly look at him if I was the dogs.

Go_Dogs
01-12-2014, 08:26 PM
A few TAC Cup players that I am interested in for the RD include:-

Daniel Capiron - looking at some of my notes from the various finals games, I like how he moves and seemed to have good ball use. Might already have addressed it though in the ND.

Bill Gowers - is one GVGjr mentioned to me, and he is a good sized midfielder with some AFL attributes.

Dancin' Douggy
04-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Funnily enough, I think Roarke Smith's highlight reel is my favourite out of all our new players. Looks very smooth, confident, fast and has good lateral vision and spatial awareness. Hope he makes it. Though I suppose those marks from young Toby WERE pretty hard to go past.

Twodogs
05-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Went to Maribrynong high as well. Needs a thumbs up

They run Maribyrnong pretty much as a sports school these days.

F'scary
05-12-2014, 01:34 PM
They run Maribyrnong pretty much as a sports school these days.

They are also getting some good marks there too. Amazing what happens when a school gets a bit of TLC.

bulldogtragic
09-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Bevo pre-game saying Roarke wants to go around again and Bevo himself wants to see him go around and impact at AFL level.

bornadog
10-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Bevo pre-game saying Roarke wants to go around again and Bevo himself wants to see him go around and impact at AFL level.

Bevo also said he thought he will be a very good player as he has lots of potential.

Mofra
10-03-2017, 10:00 AM
He's AFL standard when fit and firing and is costing us only base salary (presumably) until he recovers. I think keeping Roarke is the right decision.

chef
10-03-2017, 03:44 PM
He also plays in a position that'll probs have 2 to 3 openings in a season of two.