PDA

View Full Version : Our 2015 line up

GVGjr
06-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Nat Edwards from AFL.com.au has nominated the following line-up as our best 22 for 2015

Link (http://afl.com.au/news/2014-12-06/your-clubs-best-22)

Western Bulldogs
B : Liam Picken, Dale Morris, Easton Wood
HB: Bob Murphy, Jordan Roughead, Shane Biggs
C : Jack Macrae, Mitch Wallis, Marcus Bontempelli
HF: Jake Stringer, Stewart Crameri, Luke Dahlhaus
F : Tom Campbell, Tom Boyd, Nathan Hrovat
R : Will Minson, Tom Liberatore, Matthew Boyd
I/C: Lachlan Hunter, Michael Talia, Koby Stevens
Sub: Jason Johannisen

New players: Tom Boyd (GWS), Shane Biggs (Sydney Swans)
Unavailable: Clay Smith (knee)

Comment: The biggest inclusion into the Bulldogs' starting line-up in 2015 will be Tom Boyd. The Bulldogs have been crying out for a key forward for the last few seasons and while he may only have played nine games in his first season at the Giants, 2013's No.1 draft pick will be a lock for round one. Defender Shane Biggs should slot in nicely at half-back, replacing Shaun Higgins who moved as a free agent to North Melbourne in the off-season. Midfielder Mitch Wallis needs a big year. He managed just 13 games in 2014 with a form slump seeing him relegated to the VFL. A foot injury ended his season prematurely and he'll be looking to make amends in 2015. Defender Michael Talia showed plenty of promise in 2013, but spent most of his second year in the VFL developing his craft. Talia, Fletcher Roberts and former Cat Joel Hamling will all be fighting for a position in this side and it should create some healthy competition. - Nat Edwards

What are your thoughts?

always right
06-12-2014, 11:52 AM
We don't have too many line breakers do we? I reckon only Wood, Murphy and Dahl would fall in this class. Illustrates how much we need JJ to step up.

Hotdog60
06-12-2014, 11:58 AM
What we do have is some very good ball winners, if the percentage of play can be from the centre forward we may produce more scores than anything that gets past us.

Pressure will be in the centre.

GVGjr
06-12-2014, 12:04 PM
We don't have too many line breakers do we? I reckon only Wood, Murphy and Dahl would fall in this class. Illustrates how much we need JJ to step up.

Losing Griffen and Cooney really stands out when you look to line breaking runners on our list . We will be very hopeful that the likes of Johannisen, Darley and Biggs step up.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Nat Edwards from AFL.com.au has nominated the following line-up as our best 22 for 2015

Western Bulldogs

Comment: The biggest inclusion into the Bulldogs' starting line-up in 2015 will be Tom Boyd. The Bulldogs have been crying out for a key forward for the last few seasons and while he may only have played nine games in his first season at the Giants, 2013's No.1 draft pick will be a lock for round one. Defender Shane Biggs should slot in nicely at half-back, replacing Shaun Higgins who moved as a free agent to North Melbourne in the off-season. Midfielder Mitch Wallis needs a big year. He managed just 13 games in 2014 with a form slump seeing him relegated to the VFL. A foot injury ended his season prematurely and he'll be looking to make amends in 2015. Defender Michael Talia showed plenty of promise in 2013, but spent most of his second year in the VFL developing his craft. Talia, Fletcher Roberts and former Cat Joel Hamling will all be fighting for a position in this side and it should create some healthy competition. - Nat Edwards

What are your thoughts?

A good attempt by Nat Edwards but some structural changes are needed IMO to refresh the side. Morris days as a second tall is limited and I would prefer to see Roberts and Talia given the opportunity as key defenders. It is time to move Roughy forward and to be used as the back up ruck man to Minson.Roughead provides experience and leadership in attack, which is urgently required. There is too much of a similarity in playing Minson and Campbell in the same team, due to their lack of mobility and taking enough overhead
marks around the ground. Crameri has never played well as a key forward and is better suited on a forward flank. I would like to see Bonti become our new centre man to match the class of the likes of Watson Selwood Mitchell etc.
With the losses of Griffen and Cooney in the midfield I believe that it is important to play Jong as a bigger bodied midfielder.
Here is my preferred line up:
B. Picken Roberts Morris
HB. Murphy Talia Biggs
C. Macrae Bontempelli Wallis
HF. Crameri Roughead Dahlhaus
F. Stringer Boyd Hrovat
R. Minson Liberatore Boyd
Int. Wood Jong Stevens
Sub. Johannisen.

Cyberdoggie
06-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Losing Griffen and Cooney really stands out when you look to line breaking runners on our list . We will be very hopeful that the likes of Johannisen, Darley and Biggs step up.

I know that is only a starting list but as you pointed out minus the former numbers 16,17, and their run through the middle we are left with plodders at best. Libba, Macrae, Bonts, Wallis, Boyd. Dahlhaus probably needs to push into the middle more and offer something different, if he is up to it. That would open spots for someone like Caleb Daniel in the forward line.
I would also stick my head out and suggest that Jong would be a good chance to make an impact in the middle. Yes he has his problems with disposal and no doubt the new coach will be big on disposal efficiency but i think his rate of development has shown that he should start making an impact at AFL level next year.

chef
06-12-2014, 12:34 PM
How good is it looking at our line up and seeing a real KPF at FF.

doggies ftw
06-12-2014, 12:36 PM

Thats where Dale, Hamiliton, Daniel, Roarke Smith come in. We know these guys all have big tanks, like to run and have great skills, but do any of them have any genuine line breaking pace?

Twodogs
06-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Western Bulldogs

What are your thoughts?

We look hideously undermanned in defence but forward of centre seems to be settling nicely. We'd have to really hope that Talia starts to develop. He has come back on ripping shape though. If he has worked on his core strength as hard as his upper body he will be unmovable.

whythelongface
06-12-2014, 02:32 PM
A good attempt by Nat Edwards but some structural changes are needed IMO to refresh the side. Morris days as a second tall is limited and I would prefer to see Roberts and Talia given the opportunity as key defenders. It is time to move Roughy forward and to be used as the back up ruck man to Minson.Roughead provides experience and leadership in attack, which is urgently required. There is too much of a similarity in playing Minson and Campbell in the same team, due to their lack of mobility and taking enough overhead
marks around the ground. Crameri has never played well as a key forward and is better suited on a forward flank. I would like to see Bonti become our new centre man to match the class of the likes of Watson Selwood Mitchell etc.
With the losses of Griffen and Cooney in the midfield I believe that it is important to play Jong as a bigger bodied midfielder.
Here is my preferred line up:
B. Picken Roberts Morris
HB. Murphy Talia Biggs
C. Macrae Bontempelli Wallis
HF. Crameri Roughead Dahlhaus
F. Stringer Boyd Hrovat
R. Minson Liberatore Boyd
Int. Wood Jong Stevens
Sub. Johannisen.

My view has been that Roughy has shown some good performances as our main backman (noting that last year he also had some ordinary games) and that he should primarily play as FB, however I am now coming around to playing Roughie in the forward line. NBP I like your set up with Roughy as CHF. I think he can play a CHF role (not sure what his stamina is like) and believe it is time to give him an extended run there. He can also play the 2nd ruck role to Minson. It is also time to have Talia and Roberts (along with Hamling) be the KP Defenders. No doubt we will leak some big scores as these two continue to ply their trade, however with Beveridge at the helm and his experience in developing defence structures maybe they could surprise us.

As others have mentioned we do lack pace in the middle, which is a concern. Jong could well be a smokey to be in our best 22. I also think that JJ could well have more of a midfield role to provide us with some outside run.

Bulldog Joe
06-12-2014, 02:40 PM
I really see Jong as a lock for the best 22. Really the only player we have that has line breaking determination and the wheels to go with it.

His performance in the VFL GF was sensational, where he hit the stoppages and speed. That skill is something that he should be able to bring to the senior line-up.

If he can get support around him from the good ball users like Hrovat, Hunter etc we can be quite dangerous.

F'scary
06-12-2014, 02:44 PM

Western Bulldogs

What are your thoughts?

He's got a few things completely wrong. There is no room for a second ruckman if Minson is first ruck. There is no point having a KP like Talia on the bench - either he plays in his position or in the VFL. Jarrad Grant is first 22. My suggestion capitalises on the growth and development of Bontempelli, bolsters height in the backline while taking physical pressure off Morris, structures the forward line so that it won't get in the way of Tom Boyd, increases crumbing capability deep, keeps Stringer inside the 50 metre arc where he plays his best and includes Johannisen in the starting 21 to increase the availability of a speedy player. Darley gets the final position perhaps because he boasts the best postitional flexibility to games played ratio but really it is a toss up with a few others not named for the sub.

B : Liam Picken, Michael Talia, Dale Morris
HB: Bob Murphy, Jordan Roughead, Easton Wood
C : Jack Macrae, Mitch Wallis, Nathan Hrovat
HF: Stewart Crameri, Marcus Bontempelli, Luke Dahlhaus
F : Jake Stringer, Tom Boyd, Lachlan Hunter
I/C: Koby Stevens, Jason Johannisen, Jarrad Grant
Sub: Sam Darley

boydogs
06-12-2014, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking Matthew Boyd may spend a bit of time as the sub this year. Libba, Wallis, M Boyd as the starting mids is slow, I think we need Jong in there.

Surely Dale Morris has played his last game as FB now, he's still best 22 but struggled to play undersized last year.

Minson can't be lone ruck again, but I'm not sure whether we use Campbell, A Cordy, Roughead or T Boyd with him. See how they go in the pre-season.

Biggs ahead of JJ & Darley round 1 would surprise me

Western Bulldogs
B : Liam Picken, Jordan Roughead, Dale Morris
HB: Bob Murphy, Michael Talia, Easton Wood
HF: Stewart Crameri, Jake Stringer, Jarrad Grant
F : Tom Campbell, Tom Boyd, Luke Dahlhaus
R : Will Minson, Tom Liberatore, Lin Jong
I/C: Nathan Hrovat, Jason Johannisen, Koby Stevens
Sub: Matthew Boyd

Emg: Lachie Hunter, Sam Darley, Mitch Honeychurch

GVGjr
06-12-2014, 09:01 PM
A good attempt by Nat Edwards but some structural changes are needed IMO to refresh the side. Morris days as a second tall is limited and I would prefer to see Roberts and Talia given the opportunity as key defenders. It is time to move Roughy forward and to be used as the back up ruck man to Minson.Roughead provides experience and leadership in attack, which is urgently required. There is too much of a similarity in playing Minson and Campbell in the same team, due to their lack of mobility and taking enough overhead marks around the ground. Crameri has never played well as a key forward and is better suited on a forward flank. I would like to see Bonti become our new centre man to match the class of the likes of Watson Selwood Mitchell etc.

We have a horribly imbalanced playing list in terms of tall defenders. We have an abundance of tall players however, the majority of them are inexperienced with question marks on their quality.
While it makes sense to give Roberts an extended run as a key defender I have some doubts if he has the mobility to play as a defender week after week. I'd be tempted to move him to CHF and use him as the ruckman when Minson needs a spell. For that matter perhaps he takes over as a defender and we use Roughead in the ruck.

I'll be interested to see how we use Hamling because I think we will need his run and athleticism but after 3 years and not getting a game for the Cats we can't expect too much from next season.

jeemak
06-12-2014, 09:55 PM
I can see some use for Picken running through the middle as a tagger again, and opening his spot for JJ most weeks unless there is a small forward who requires shutting down.

With the loss of Cooney and Griffin we'll need to counter a lack of run with a more stern defence through the middle. It sounds counter intuitive, but if we don't have any attacking run we'll need to ensure we do our best to bring the opposition midfield back to our level as best we can.

Picken shutting down play makers can help do that.

As for the rest of the line up, I definitely think we'll see plenty of Dickson and Grant up forward, whilst one of Tahlia or Roberts will get a decent run in defence. Roughead is a defender for mine, he played under duress a lot of the time this year and I think it would have messed with his head a lot. He'll be better in the role next year.

hujsh
06-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Is there any support to Roughie, rather than moving forward, transitioning to our no.1 ruck?

He was considered the best tap ruckman in his age group and it may be a waste of potential if he doesn't move there eventually

Remi Moses
06-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Talia and Roberts or Hamling have to get a sustained run in the senior side.
We've groomed Roughy as a back, and injuries hurt him significantly all season .
He has to stay there. Could he possibly play a Trengrove type of role

LostDoggy
07-12-2014, 08:06 AM
I want to see Pickens back on ball. The best or secondly best tagged in the comp, maybe bring darly in a back pocket, he has good disposal. It was a massive issue for us last year our disposal out of the backline.Austin, roughy,wood, picken and Morris are all poor kicks. Teams would zone of theses guys so they had to kick

always right
07-12-2014, 11:06 AM
I want to see Pickens back on ball. The best or secondly best tagged in the comp, maybe bring darly in a back pocket, he has good disposal. It was a massive issue for us last year our disposal out of the backline.Austin, roughy,wood, picken and Morris are all poor kicks. Teams would zone of theses guys so they had to kick

Roughy is fine and Wood's decision making has improved which was his greatest failing. Agree however that we have very few defenders who can use their kicking as an attacking weapon. Too many are forced to kick within their limitations, Morris and Talia the most notable. Murph is our best user and he has two years left at most. We really need Darley, Biggs and some our recent draftees to be fast tracked.

F'scary
07-12-2014, 02:10 PM

That was so true last year, particularly in the case of Austin. It was hilarious, except that it was our team, to watch them leave Austin all by himself and then apply the pressure once he had the ball. The good sides really know how to pick out these weaknesses and exploit them.

F'scary
07-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Is there any support to Roughie, rather than moving forward, transitioning to our no.1 ruck?

He was considered the best tap ruckman in his age group and it may be a waste of potential if he doesn't move there eventually

Could well be the way forward. But there is the Minson structural problem that hampers such a transition. I think we just have to stick with Minson as long as he is our best ruckman and can play the full game in that position. I also don't think we can afford to leave Roughead in the FP in 2015 but who knows, maybe by 2016 the KPB issue starts to sort itself out and Roughie can be used to more attacking advantage.

hujsh
07-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Could well be the way forward. But there is the Minson structural problem that hampers such a transition. I think we just have to stick with Minson as long as he is our best ruckman and can play the full game in that position. I also don't think we can afford to leave Roughead in the FP in 2015 but who knows, maybe by 2016 the KPB issue starts to sort itself out and Roughie can be used to more attacking advantage.

If we can tell Lake he can't play fullback anymore I don't see why we can't do the same for Minson (as big a fan of him as I've been)

That said this doesn't have to happen right away. Maybe we give the job to Roughy 3-4 times a year when Minson is injured or rested

F'scary
07-12-2014, 05:32 PM
If we can tell Lake he can't play fullback anymore I don't see why we can't do the same for Minson (as big a fan of him as I've been)

That said this doesn't have to happen right away. Maybe we give the job to Roughy 3-4 times a year when Minson is injured or rested

Roughead Campbell combo changing FP could be interesting. Depends a bit on whether any of the contenders for KPB possies step up or flounder in the reserves.

Bulldog Joe
07-12-2014, 06:10 PM
It seems everyone has written off Ayce Cordy.

Obviously 2015 is last chance saloon for him, BUT he did have an excellent VFL finals series. I have yesterday rewatched the GF and while I thought it was his worst effort throughout the finals, he still contributed significantly.

Perhaps he can play the FP ruck role we need, to give Minson (or Campbell) relief.

I do not see why we need to do anything with Roughead other than let him continue to develop as the key backman.

bornadog
07-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Obviously 2015 is last chance saloon for him, BUT he did have an excellent VFL finals series. I have yesterday rewatched the GF and while I thought it was his worst effort throughout the finals, he still contributed significantly.

Perhaps he can play the FP ruck role we need, to give Minson (or Campbell) relief.

I do not see why we need to do anything with Roughead other than let him continue to develop as the key backman.

I thought when we looked like we were going to get run over in the last quarter of the GF, it was Ayce who turned it around. He went into the ruck and his tap work to Jong was brilliant. It will be interesting how Bevo plays it this year with Minson, Campbell and Cordy. I agree with your summation on Roughead.

boydogs
07-12-2014, 07:35 PM

He got outmarked by Joel Hamling twice in his highlights package

F'scary
07-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Alas, poor Ayce.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Alas, poor Ayce.

If you go to ancient graveyards, you'll get skulls.

w3design
09-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Number changes for 2015.

Nathan Hrovat to wear No.13
Lachie Hunter to wear No.7

Happy with this. The 2 boys should do these number proud.

always right
09-12-2014, 10:41 AM

Or looking at it from a more positive POV...looks like we might have a ripper in Hamling.

boydogs
09-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Or looking at it from a more positive POV...looks like we might have a ripper in Hamling.

Hamling reminds me of a taller Easton Wood, he's very athletic for a bigger guy

1eyedog
09-12-2014, 03:30 PM

He reminds me of Cam Wight although he went 20 places before Wight. Hopefully he is 20 times better than Cam was.

LostDoggy
09-12-2014, 06:29 PM
I hope Hamling stops walking past the gym and actually walks in there and lifts some iron. Could be said for a lot of them though, so I'm not getting my hopes up

Greystache
09-12-2014, 07:43 PM

He reminds me of Jarrad Bouman, a scrawny athlete who happens to be tall.

GVGjr
09-12-2014, 08:24 PM

I'm looking forward to Hamling making some progress in 2015 and then becoming a better footballer in 2016

Bulldog4life
09-12-2014, 09:37 PM
The beauty of Hamling is he can play forward and back. He kicked bags of 5 goals and 6 goals with Geelong VFL team this season.

Twodogs
09-12-2014, 09:57 PM
The beauty of Hamling is he can play forward and back. He kicked bags of 5 goals and 6 goals with Geelong VFL team this season.

I didn't know that.

GVGjr
09-12-2014, 09:57 PM

I'm not quite sure how he could be best used next season but maybe as a half back flanker which would give us a lot of extra height down there. He might be a bit of a long shot but probably should get his chances.

bulldogtragic
09-12-2014, 10:11 PM
I feel for Hamling. He gets cut by a team cutting older players to keep there young uns there. Still delisted. He remains delisted and despite being raw, we say yes to him. Ordinarily he'd have no pressure, ala the reverse of C. Howard pressure gauge (virtually a PSD pick was only used). Yet, he's starting 18 in a heap of squads, our KPP answered either forward or back. Talk about setting him up for a hard fall, at this rate he will have more pressure than Howard was under.

F'scary
09-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Hamlet will take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing, end them. Just you wait and see.

1eyedog
09-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Geelong are well stocked with existing and developing key talls. They need runners now after losing Varcoe and Christensen so need to make space and Hamling was the least developed of their keys. If I remember correctly Geelong uptraded to get him too. They thought pretty highly of him. He's a good pick up for us. Has always had big wraps on his marking - Ayce shouldn't be too disappointed.

Twodogs
10-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Hamlet will take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing, end them. Just you wait and see.

That's a vaguely familiar phrase. I'm sure Ive heard it somewhere before.

boydogs
10-12-2014, 12:30 AM

Are you saying he doesn't use his height to advantage?

bornadog
10-12-2014, 09:59 AM

Hopefully Hamling has a bigger ticker than Bouman did.

Greystache
10-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Are you saying he doesn't use his height to advantage?

I'm saying he's hardly a key position powerhouse. He's tall, but just being tall doesn't make you a key position player, especially when you get rag dolled by anyone who's strong i.e. Bouman.

We've had dozens of these type come and go during the Clayton era.

Greystache
10-12-2014, 10:09 AM

A bigger brain would be more beneficial.

LostDoggy
10-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I'm saying he's hardly a key position powerhouse. He's tall, but just being tall doesn't make you a key position player, especially when you get rag dolled by anyone who's strong i.e. Bouman.

We've had dozens of these type come and go during the Clayton era.

Completely agree. Aycee is a perfect example, at the vfl he was completely out muscled by players who where 6 foot tall

F'scary
10-12-2014, 08:35 PM

is that "ticker" as in stamina or "ticker" as used in the Beazley/Howard controversy?

bornadog
10-12-2014, 11:47 PM
is that "ticker" as in stamina or "ticker" as used in the Beazley/Howard controversy?

No Guts are the old fashion words;)

F'scary
10-12-2014, 11:54 PM
No Guts are the old fashion words;)

ah, the latter meaning, then.

Twodogs
11-12-2014, 01:16 AM
Ideally you'd want him to have both types of ticker.

dukedog
17-12-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm thinking Matthew Boyd may spend a bit of time as the sub this year. Libba, Wallis, M Boyd as the starting mids is slow, I think we need Jong in there.

Surely Dale Morris has played his last game as FB now, he's still best 22 but struggled to play undersized last year.

Minson can't be lone ruck again, but I'm not sure whether we use Campbell, A Cordy, Roughead or T Boyd with him. See how they go in the pre-season.

Biggs ahead of JJ & Darley round 1 would surprise me

Western Bulldogs
B : Liam Picken, Jordan Roughead, Dale Morris
HB: Bob Murphy, Michael Talia, Easton Wood
HF: Stewart Crameri, Jake Stringer, Jarrad Grant
F : Tom Campbell, Tom Boyd, Luke Dahlhaus
R : Will Minson, Tom Liberatore, Lin Jong
I/C: Nathan Hrovat, Jason Johannisen, Koby Stevens
Sub: Matthew Boyd

Emg: Lachie Hunter, Sam Darley, Mitch Honeychurch

I like the look of this team. a few things though.
Grant needs to have his chances, but unless he is absolutely carving up pre season. (NAB CHALLENGE) which he wont be. Id swap Hunter in for Grant. Matty Boyd needs to play maybe half the games this year, Clay Smith when he is right to go to replace Boyd or a few games for THE HELMET.