PDA

View Full Version : Todays Mike Sheahan Article

Bulldog Revolution
09-11-2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22727282%255E19742,00.html

Sheahan: Wrong time, Mr Smorgon
09 November 2007 Herald Sun

FOR the second time in 10 weeks, David Smorgon has hung Rodney Eade out to dry. With fanfare.

He did it immediately after the final round of the season, when it was understandable after such an insipid end to the season.

He was even more damning on Wednesday, when it was totally beyond comprehension.

Two months on, what is the Western Bulldogs president trying to prove?

So the Doggies had a bad year. Yep, a shocker in the end, but Scragger knew that much back in August.

If Smorgon hadn't noticed, it's Cup week. Too late for retrospectives, for public lynchings. Time, surely, to focus on preparations for the new season.

Won't the coach be jumping for joy when he drives into Whitten Oval after his holidays to resume work.

Incidentally, wasn't it Smorgon and chief executive Campbell Rose who installed Eade in the role they now tell the world he has stuffed up?

Twelve months ago, everyone at the Whitten Oval was like a dog with two . . . well, you know what I mean.

Expectations ran wild, a flag beckoned, Eade was a genius.

Add Jason Akermanis, with Robert Murphy, Luke Darcy, Mitch Hahn and Shaun Higgins all back from injury, and the emergence of Andrejs Everitt and a fit Tom Williams, and how did it go so wrong?

No, Eade isn't a genius and he does get sidetracked and ahead of himself, but the blame for 2007 needs to be shared.

By the football department, by the conditioning staff, by an administration that might have been more vigilant, and by the players.

Remember them? The blokes who actually had the responsibility of representing the club every week.

The group that turned 9-6 and a spot in the eight into 9-12 and a draw, and 13th place.

Who is most culpable?

As usual, there are fingers going in more directions than Neil Kerley's mangled digits.

What I struggle to come to terms with is the fact the Bulldogs were good enough to beat Geelong, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn and Collingwood, all top six teams, yet could win only nine games. The significant detail about those wins is that three of them came in the first eight rounds.

The Doggies went into the season on a preparation for the Newmarket Handicap when they were engaged in the Melbourne Cup.

Eade's fault? He must take the bulk of the blame because he's the coach, and has been in charge of the department but everyone needs to get their act together at Whitten Oval.

All of them. From the president down.

Smorgon has made a bad error of judgment.

He just can't go from talking excitedly about "us" 12 months ago to lambasting "them" now.

He alerted Eade he would be fronting the press this week and wouldn't be mincing his words.

He was faithful to the promise, but it had to inflame an already delicate situation.

Smorgon and Rose, it should be noted, re-signed Eade 12 months ago to a two-year contract extension worth as much as $1.2 million.

Yes, they, too, have had a 12 months they would like over again.

Fact is they're all in bed together from here. They can't afford to sack him and he can't afford to walk.

They have told him his job now is to coach, and that's fair enough. He also should make the decision to wind back his voluntary media commitments.

Fortunately for the coach, recruiting manager Scott Clayton, who is an ally, is staying, despite interest from Richmond.

Eade needs to know someone important is in his corner, and he needs to revert to what he does best -- coach: seven days a week.

Bulldog Revolution
09-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I know TCD posted this in the news section but I felt it warranted posting here also

I guess the dust is settling: Patrick Smith and Mike Sheahan have both now provided their commentary and Martin Boulton and Stephen Reilly have also added more insight

bornadog
09-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey Mike Sheahan has been reading my post and has written an article on it.

http://woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1392&page=2

always right
09-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I actually spoke to Mike Sheahan today about the article. He told me that Eade certainly knew that Smorgon was going to say what he did...although I wonder if he knew precisely how Smorgo would express it. Mike simply believes it was unfortunate and that if he was Rocket he would be pretty disheartened by the way he has been singled out, particularly as it was Smorgo who was cheerleading for Eade and the team this time last year.

I understand Mike's point and probably agree with him in that respect but I pointed out to him that the Bulldogs are not like most other clubs. We're always on the edge of survival, desparately trying to hold onto our members and the way we ended the season there is a real risk of supporters jumping off. I reckon most bulldogs supporters will like what Smorgo has said and done on this occasion.

I believe Smorgo's motivation for his very public berating of theplayers after the final game, and now his comments about Eade and the football department are for two reasons;

1. Smorgo loves to see and hear himself in the media
2. More importantly he knows that the club can't be seen to be sitting on their hands. We
don't have the luxury of other clubs who can be a little more patient. Smorgo knows
that supporters of our club need to see that there is always something happening to
improve the situation. He needs to continually talk up the club.

Bulldog Revolution
09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey Mike Sheahan has been reading my post and has written an article on it.

http://woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1392&page=2

He may well have done borna - I suspect that the journos do read sites like this to guage the mood of the fans - And it its the advertiser they just cut and paste the posts into an article, particularly in trade week

I actually spoke to Mike Sheahan today about the article. He told me that Eade certainly knew that Smorgon was going to say what he did...although I wonder if he knew precisely how Smorgo would express it. Mike simply believes it was unfortunate and that if he was Rocket he would be pretty disheartened by the way he has been singled out, particularly as it was Smorgo who was cheerleading for Eade and the team this time last year.

Interesting insight always right - I am sure Eade wont be wrapt with all this, but he still has plenty of supporters and most of us are still hoping he can get the footy department team pointed in the right direction. It probably was foolish to be able to expect one guy to be able to do that.

LostDoggy
09-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I agree with Always right in the fact that Smorgo has announced his findings to appease the members of the club. Every time we finish a season dismally, our membership goes backwards the following year. We have a very real risk of our membership base falling to the bottom of the ladder again with about 24,000 in 2008. The club is hoping to go forward and strike 32,000 sometime in the next year or two. Given they'll probably budget for 27,000-28,000, I can see a deficit occurring. I know Smorgon's announcement has revitalised my hopes for the club, can it reinvigorate those of our members that are fence sitters?

FrediKanoute
09-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I agree with Always right in the fact that Smorgo has announced his findings to appease the members of the club. Every time we finish a season dismally, our membership goes backwards the following year. We have a very real risk of our membership base falling to the bottom of the ladder again with about 24,000 in 2008. The club is hoping to go forward and strike 32,000 sometime in the next year or two. Given they'll probably budget for 27,000-28,000, I can see a deficit occurring. I know Smorgon's announcement has revitalised my hopes for the club, can it reinvigorate those of our members that are fence sitters?

I appreciate the fact that some people can't always afford to buy a membership, but to not buy a membership b/c ur club has had a bad season is a little fair weather supporterish! If the kangas situation has taught us nothing, it should have at least taught us that membership is the barrier whcih prevents our club from being relocated. We should all sign up and encourage at least 1 other person to sign up! Even if its for a basic membership...get them to sign up!

wimberga
09-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I can wholeheartedly state that I have NEVER been a bulldogs member, but am signing up next season no matter what.

LostDoggy
09-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Interesting insight always right - I am sure Eade wont be wrapt with all this, but he still has plenty of supporters and most of us are still hoping he can get the footy department team pointed in the right direction.

Actually he is quite happy with what has happened he feels relieved that he can now just coach. The wheels were in motion Smorgon is very black and white and is honest and straight to the point. Expect to see a major turnaround next season the jigsaw puzzle will put in place very quickly.

BulldogBelle
09-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I can wholeheartedly state that I have NEVER been a bulldogs member, but am signing up next season no matter what.

Good for you wimberga, that's great news. :)

wimberga
09-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Hopefully it wont lose me any credibility on here BB! I'm actually signing up with 3 or 4 mates, all of which have not been members either! :)

The Coon Dog
09-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Hopefully it wont lose me any credibility on here BB! I'm actually signing up with 3 or 4 mates, all of which have not been members either! :)

Certainly won't lose ANY credibility doing that!

LostDoggy
09-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I agree that Rodney Eade probably wont be too happy, however like most people in business, if we stuff up, we get a kick in the pants and then get on and do better next time.

BulldogBelle
09-11-2007, 11:32 PM

Not at all wimberga, that is great news. Perhaps you can get some of your mates to pop into WOOF and join in the discussions, we will definitely make them most welcome.

Again, well done - this club will only benefit more if more people like yourself joined up.

bornadog
10-11-2007, 12:12 AM

Thats fantastic, we don't want a Kangas situation arising, we have to support the club through thick and thin and it really doesn't cost that much.

wimberga
10-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Well I read the article and could not really believe the negative tone that Sheahan adopted.

Anyone reading the article from the outside looking in would think it is pure madness down at Whitten Oval, but its a REVIEW. It's done exactly what it needed to, there is no point in writing about all the problems because I believe, in terms of the review itself, it has been done brilliantly.

southerncross
10-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Actually he is quite happy with what has happened he feels relieved that he can now just coach. The wheels were in motion Smorgon is very black and white and is honest and straight to the point. Expect to see a major turnaround next season the jigsaw puzzle will put in place very quickly.

I appreciated the honest assessment that David offered up. We know of the problems from the mid way mark of the season and unfortunately Rodney didn't provide the leadership or management that was needed.
The great part is that this has now been resolved and we have all the departments on the right path.

Sheehan just isn't reporting things accurately and has assumed that Rodney isn't happy with what was said.