PDA

View Full Version : Lachie Hunter

Go_Dogs
10-12-2014, 08:59 AM
I've been pondering lately, where may Lachie Hunter end up playing his best football?

It appears his running is now getting to a high level, which opens up midfield opportunities for him. He's a skilful player, both by hand and foot. Despite not showing it so much last season, he's strong in the air for his size.

At times his goal kicking has let him down.

I'd be very interested to see how he'd develop playing off a back flank, to add some much needed class.

Given the lack of quality in that area of the ground, combined with Lachie's agility, and ball use, could he be an option for a role in the back half?

Thoughts?

soupman
10-12-2014, 09:29 AM
I've been pondering lately, where may Lachie Hunter end up playing his best football?

It appears his running is now getting to a high level, which opens up midfield opportunities for him. He's a skilful player, both by hand and foot. Despite not showing it so much last season, he's strong in the air for his size.

At times his goal kicking has let him down.

I'd be very interested to see how he'd develop playing off a back flank, to add some much needed class.

Given the lack of quality in that area of the ground, combined with Lachie's agility, and ball use, could he be an option for a role in the back half?

Thoughts?

I don't mind it. Considering the quantity of half forwards/part time mids in our squad a new role in an area of need could be good for Hunter. He does seem to have an excellent awareness and make some very cool decisions with ball in hand.

My query though is can we afford it. I think this is the season where he starts to enter midfield rotations and despite it being our strength, I think our midfield is much shallower than people realise.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-12-2014, 09:42 AM
I don't mind it. Considering the quantity of half forwards/part time mids in our squad a new role in an area of need could be good for Hunter. He does seem to have an excellent awareness and make some very cool decisions with ball in hand.

My query though is can we afford it. I think this is the season where he starts to enter midfield rotations and despite it being our strength, I think our midfield is much shallower than people realise.

I tend to agree with this.

I think Hunter needs to be played to his natural strengths which for mine is in an attacking flair. He certainly needs to improve his defensive efforts as it's one thing that currently lets him down, but I think he can cause some real damage as a mid/fwd who is able to find the ball, show composure and high footy IQ in traffic and distribute the ball well via foot. As GD said, he's good overhead for his size and can become a threat up forward with his goal nous.

Lachie has had some knockers over the past 12 months, which surprised me. He has a long way to go, but he was also the second youngest player in the competition before the Bonti draft class. For mine, he has proven he can work hard (his running capacity) whilst having all the natural ability in the world (extremely agile and smart, good skills, can jump/mark, kick goals).

I expect him to take some strides forward in 2015 and we need him to do that as a mid/fwd. Perhaps even overtake Dahlhaus' role from this season. Dahl is a better forward but I think Lachie will be a better mid with his class/composure/footy smarts, which Dahl lacks a bit.

Torpedo
10-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Lachie turns 20 in three days. Has all the instincts of a natural footballer. Very Good mark for his size. Needs to improve his set goal kicking along with Dahl (Bruce Macavaney's love child).
If he continues to develop athletically he will be a very good contributor in mid/forward mix. A little bit of mongrel and swag in him too, which is always good to see in a forward.

SonofScray
10-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Strong hands, creative and has a capacity to sniff a goal. Midfield - half forward - forward pocket for me. Too dangerous scoreboard wise to have too far away from the big sticks.

GVGjr
10-12-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm confident he will have a good season and I see him more as a forward but certainly spending time in the middle. We also need him to kick a few goals much like Gia did.
GD made reference to his goal kicking and I think that is a valid point. He needs to convert a few more shots.

F'scary
10-12-2014, 08:40 PM
there is a spot in the FP he can own, there is a spot as HFF he can own. He has opportunities, he has loads of talent - his football future is in his hands. I'm not yet sure he can play any other position. He needs to show he has a lot of mileage in his legs to be a midfielder, that's that part I'm not convinced about yet based on games to date.

boydogs
10-12-2014, 09:01 PM
He's one of the best on the list for forward craft. Knowing when to lead & where, knowing where the goals are. It would be great for him to spend time in the middle and be more involved in the game as he is quite skillful but I think the backline would be a waste

F'scary
10-12-2014, 09:10 PM
He's one of the best on the list for forward craft. Knowing when to lead & where, knowing where the goals are. It would be great for him to spend time in the middle and be more involved in the game as he is quite skillful but I think the backline would be a waste

I agree, but on the grounds that the backline seems to be a bit of a reach. He is versatile but not that versatile. Higgins played manfully well in 2014 as a rebounding backman but you could see it wasn't really his bag. I think it would be the same with Hunter.

Avoid the rush
11-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Hope like hell he hasn't inherited his old man's hammys. He has his fathers smarts just needs time on the park to become real star I reckon.

Webby
11-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Hope like hell he hasn't inherited his old man's hammy.

Or his Uncle Mark's brains...

Greystache
11-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Or his Uncle Mark's brains...

Mark's his cousin... And an absolute flog. Let's hope he's more in the Jarrad mould :D

Mofra
11-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Forward/mid for mine (the problem being we've just recruited many of the same type).

I'd expect we have 1-2 mids resting forward at all time in the near future simply because of necessity, our list make-up.

Not a fan of playing him behind the ball - he has natural forward instincts and should be played to his strengths.

mighty_west
11-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Forward/mid for mine (the problem being we've just recruited many of the same type).

I'd expect we have 1-2 mids resting forward at all time in the near future simply because of necessity, our list make-up.

Not a fan of playing him behind the ball - he has natural forward instincts and should be played to his strengths.

Are they all the same type though?

Daniel to me looks as natural a midfielder as you get, Cordy is a tall defender whilst Webb looks as though he could play forward or down back.

That said, as Nathan Buckley once said, goal kicking mids are worth their weight in gold and we seem to have plenty of them to develop so I don't think I'd be calling it a problem.

bulldogtragic
11-12-2014, 07:37 PM
I like him in the high half forward role in the mid term. He's got far too much talent to be a FP or defensive forward. I see Koby with that role owing to his strengthes and also his ability to turn it over and get team mates polaxed. I like the Boyd/Dahl pairing, and Stew and Crameri owning CHF. I love Lachie's footy brain, vision, smarts and good disposal. He knows where to run, where to look and set up goal assists. He has some X factor too which he can use. I see him able to play like Higgins 08-10. Able to roam between centre & full forward, and set up our forwards and hopefully get one or two himself. I'm quite bullish about what he might be able to do next year.

GVGjr
11-12-2014, 07:51 PM
It's all about Hunter proving he has the running capacity to play some significant minutes in the midfield. He has proven that he has footy smarts around the forward line and if he improves his goal kicking accuracy he should be set for a very good season.
He's played 23 senior game and if he can command a regular spot it would be great for him to have 40 games by the end of the season

boydogs
11-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Stew and Crameri owning CHF

There's only one Stewart Crameri BT ;)

Guessing you meant Stringer

ratsmac
11-12-2014, 11:35 PM
He's a half forward for mine. Seeing that forwards push deep defensively these days HF is like your wingman of old. So apart from centre bounces half forwards are up around the ball anyhow. He definitely has class and will add to the midfield in the future but I think we need him at HF for now. He has a bit of Steve Johnson about him IMO.

Mofra
12-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Are they all the same type though?

Daniel to me looks as natural a midfielder as you get, Cordy is a tall defender whilst Webb looks as though he could play forward or down back.
Not all, but 'many' as I said.
Webb played more HF in 2014, as did everyone bar Daniel who played pure mid - McLean transitioned to midfield as the season wore on by all accounts, but will take time at AFL level to make that switch again.

Cordy excluded obviously, although he'll take years to be best 22 (and I hope he gets a better injury run than his brother has had - he lost and injury comparison chat with Tom Williams!).

Go_Dogs
12-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

I look at them and it seems we all agree Hunter has smarts, instinct and is creative. I look at our forward line, and whilst they're slightly different, Dahl, Stringer and Hrovat offer similar qualities. Not to mention our latest crop, and that perhaps JJ too has been best forward on centre in recent times.

Since Harbrow, we've lacked those qualities down back.

Perhaps it might not end up Lachie's best spot, or where he ultimately provides the best return for the team, but I'm still hopeful it's something we may see this season - for the team, and his development.

soupman
12-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

I look at them and it seems we all agree Hunter has smarts, instinct and is creative. I look at our forward line, and whilst they're slightly different, Dahl, Stringer and Hrovat offer similar qualities. Not to mention our latest crop, and that perhaps JJ too has been best forward on centre in recent times.

Since Harbrow, we've lacked those qualities down back.

Perhaps it might not end up Lachie's best spot, or where he ultimately provides the best return for the team, but I'm still hopeful it's something we may see this season - for the team, and his development.
Well apparently he has trained at times this pre-season in a defensive role so you may get your wish.

SonofScray
12-12-2014, 08:43 PM
At inside the kennel last night Dalrymple mentioned Beverage is very big on those types of players having capacity to play multiple positions. I think we'll see Hunter in a few roles.

Bulldog4life
13-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Where Hunter will play that game in 2015 is still unknown, but he’s ready for the challenge.

“I spent most of last year across half-forward, I think this year maybe a little bit more in the midfield hopefully and maybe even down back, and I’ll see how I go down there.”

more at:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-12-10/seventh-heaven-for-hunter

dukedog
17-12-2014, 12:45 PM
This kid is gonna be best 22 next year no doubt, i think he is best played up forward. super smart, good hands, great mark. apart from bonti, i think he will be most improved this year.... bonti is just a freak. period.

Ozza
17-12-2014, 01:11 PM
The high half forward in today's footy covers more ground in a game than any other position. Long term, this may well be the spot for Hunter, given that he appears to have the makings of a good tank - and the creativeness to use the ball well going inside 50.

Big ask to expect him to play that role regularly in 2015 - but I look forward to seeing him play in a variety of positions and get some good rounded development next season.

LostDoggy
17-12-2014, 06:31 PM
I really like watching this guy play has heaps of footy smarts, good disposal and rarely gets beaten in one on one contests.For only a little guy uses his body really well.

dog town
17-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Very similar player to Alan Didak at the same age IMO. Very clever in tight spaces, dangerous around goals, lots of side step or one step movements and similar mannerisms. I think he has a better tank from what I can tell just a matter of whether he can use it in the midfield. Lots of guys can dominate time trials and not get near it in the midfield. At the moment I think he is suited to playing as a high half forward. Can use his running to get up and down. If we can see him linking up and getting touches coming back through the lines towards goal then it might be time to push into midfield.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Mark's his cousin... And an absolute flog. Let's hope he's more in the Jarrad mould :D
The two McVeigh brothers are his uncles with Lachie's mother being their sister.

Greystache
17-12-2014, 08:11 PM
The two McVeigh brothers are his uncles with Lachie's mother being their sister.

That's not correct.

Their father is Lachie's Mum's brother, they're his cousins.

Twodogs
17-12-2014, 09:39 PM

That's not correct.

Their father is Lachie's Mum's brother, they're his cousins.

From the horse's mouth:

I had a chat with your wife Colleen this afternoon, she certainly knows her footy.

Yes, 2 of her nephews play in the AFL. Mark (Ess) & Jared (Syd) McVeigh.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?7479-Interview-With-Mark-Hunter

So Lachie and the McVeighs are cousins and are not allowed to marry each other.

doggies ftw
17-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Very similar player to Alan Didak at the same age IMO. Very clever in tight spaces, dangerous around goals, lots of side step or one step movements and similar mannerisms. I think he has a better tank from what I can tell just a matter of whether he can use it in the midfield. Lots of guys can dominate time trials and not get near it in the midfield. At the moment I think he is suited to playing as a high half forward. Can use his running to get up and down. If we can see him linking up and getting touches coming back through the lines towards goal then it might be time to push into midfield.
I like the Didak call. I'm pretty confident Hunter will be able to transform himself from the flashy flanker type to a full midfielder because he showed at underage level he had the ability to accumulate big numbers. He's actually pretty good inside the contest, and genuinely a well rounded player, needs to work on his defensive side though.

Happy Days
17-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Lachie's weaknesses all stem from the same root. His unaccountability, lack of physical strength, lack of penetration on kicking, ability to find and win footy, and incessant desire to shorten his name will all die off as he develops both physically and emotionally.

His strengths are unteachable, which is an amazing sign for his development. He's the player I'm most excited for outside of the Four Horsemen and The Boss.

divvydan
18-12-2014, 02:09 AM
From the horse's mouth:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?7479-Interview-With-Mark-Hunter

So Lachie and the McVeighs are cousins and are not allowed to marry each other.

Funnily enough, they're only not allowed to marry since they're all men. Cousin marriage and even aunt/uncle (niece/nephew) marriage is perfectly legal in Australia.

jeemak
18-12-2014, 02:34 AM
Lachie's weaknesses all stem from the same root. His unaccountability, lack of physical strength, lack of penetration on kicking, ability to find and win footy, and incessant desire to shorten his name will all die off as he develops both physically and emotionally.

His strengths are unteachable, which is an amazing sign for his development. He's the player I'm most excited for outside of the Four Horsemen and The Boss.

i find it a bit funny you and others have to respond about Lachie's present and future in the way you and others have.

The guy's a pup in the most genuine sense. Great talent, some deficiencies and improving fitness. That's about all that we need to worry about right now and we need to hold off on the expectations beyond that for the time being.

He'll play where he's needed for now and he'll develop over the next couple of years to a point where we can actually gauge his progress. For now, just let him get as fit and strong as he can be, and wait and see how he goes.

Dancin' Douggy
18-12-2014, 09:53 AM
The player I liken him to most is Stevie j.

Happy Days
18-12-2014, 10:22 AM
i find it a bit funny you and others have to respond about Lachie's present and future in the way you and others have.

The guy's a pup in the most genuine sense. Great talent, some deficiencies and improving fitness. That's about all that we need to worry about right now and we need to hold off on the expectations beyond that for the time being.

He'll play where he's needed for now and he'll develop over the next couple of years to a point where we can actually gauge his progress. For now, just let him get as fit and strong as he can be, and wait and see how he goes.

Surely you're excited about him as a prospect?

Twodogs
18-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Funnily enough, they're only not allowed to marry since they're all men. Cousin marriage and even aunt/uncle (niece/nephew) marriage is perfectly legal in Australia.

That's what I meant too. ;)

azabob
30-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Mark Stevens tweeting a long term deal in the works for Hunter.

Great news.

chef
30-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Great stuff. He's been a revelation

BornInDroopSt'54
30-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Hunter has realised somewhere near his potential after starting out very flashy and rather inconsistent. He is now so valuable to us and as a prime member of our magnificent leftie squad, adds that counter intuitive movement.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2016, 10:33 PM

Great news.

Well deserved too.

He's turned his career around. 12 months ago, he was a lazy outside player who couldn't win his own ball. He's now become a consistent, prolific ball accumulator who works hard and constantly creates. His turn around shouldn't be understated; he's really important to our side now and is a great young mid. Underrated at the moment, as much is said about Bont, Libba, Wallis, Macrae etc.

The Doctor
30-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Love the list management thats going on at the club. Really liking the new CEO. I think Hunter has GUN capability.

F'scary
30-03-2016, 10:37 PM
He really changed our side when he came in for the second half of 2015. All of a sudden we had a 30 possession a game midfielder with disposal skills added to the line up.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Love the list management thats going on at the club. Really liking the new CEO. I think Hunter has GUN capability.

Might be a big call, but I think Hunter is better than Macrae (which is a good thing, because I rate Macrae highly too).

jeemak
30-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Hunter's progression from half way through the year last year has been excellent. I look forward to him becoming more rounded, particularly in his inside and defencive work. He needs to tackle more, there's no getting around if for him if he's going to play around the middle and on the forward flanks.

He plays a less balanced game than Jack at present, but has as many offensive attributes as Jack does presently.

bornadog
31-03-2016, 12:03 AM
He really changed our side when he came in for the second half of 2015. All of a sudden we had a 30 possession a game midfielder with disposal skills added to the line up.

At the season launch, I asked him about this turn around and he basically said under Bevo the move to the wing has freed him up to roam around instead of being stuck in the forward pocket.

Great to see him get a long term contract and he is still only 21.

Mofra
31-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Might be a big call, but I think Hunter is better than Macrae (which is a good thing, because I rate Macrae highly too).
Huge call - Macrae has a 2nd in the B&F to his name, and as a 19 year old had a 43 possession, 2 goal game.

Hunter does by all accounts have the biggest VO2 max scores at the club so under reduced interchanges his style of game suits us perfectly. It's our second string midfield (after Bont, Libba, Macrae & Wallis) that will get under teams guard this year and Hunter is an important part of that.

Ozza
31-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Really happy with Hunter's progression, and he's become an automatic selection in the side - and basically a lock to get around 30 touches per week due to his smarts and running capacity. I'd love to see Hunter improve his kicking penetration, and accuracy around goals.

I don't have him in Macrae's class though. Macrae has the ability to play inside and out - and is dangerous forward. I'd imagine both players would be handy across half back if ever needed, but Macrae being 4 or 5 inches taller than Hunter makes him all the more flexible option for us.

Happy to have both ball magnets!

ratsmac
31-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Tracking quite nicely our Lachie! Slips under the radar week after week. Who do the opposition tag, Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dahl, Murph, JJ, now Biggs and Lachie. The opposition coaches have plenty of headaches when they face us these days.

He deserves a new contract. The list management are doing a terrific job.

Bulldog4life
31-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Huge call - Macrae has a 2nd in the B&F to his name, and as a 19 year old had a 43 possession, 2 goal game.

Hunter does by all accounts have the biggest VO2 max scores at the club so under reduced interchanges his style of game suits us perfectly. It's our second string midfield (after Bont, Libba, Macrae & Wallis) that will get under teams guard this year and Hunter is an important part of that.

And even this year he has started off in the AFL team of the week. I think Hunter still has to still catch Jack. I hope he does but not there yet.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2016, 12:25 PM

In terms of runs on the board, Macrae is certainly a fair way ahead.

If we are to judge them at present, I think Hunter is cleaner with the ball. Macrae still needs to improve his disposal because whilst it's not terrible, he still makes too many mistakes for mine. It's for that reason I see Hunter as being a little more damaging and I think Lachie's agility to avoid tackles is highly underrated.

Macrae is clearly a fantastic talent though. We're lucky to have both.

G-Mo77
31-03-2016, 12:30 PM

Great news.

Good news. I've always been a bit concerned on what he would do in regards to his contract. Good to see he's on the verge of committing.

F'scary
31-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Macrae and Hunter have different, complimentary styles of playing. Better than having two of either.

Maddog37
31-03-2016, 04:45 PM
I feel that Hunter is our Steele Sidebottom and that once his fitness peaks he will be even better. The rotation cap is a big positive for him.

I must admit I had doubts he would make it. Attitude is everything.

1eyedog
03-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Absolute gun.

I'm not sure if Lachie is a better player than Macrae but time will tell. I feel more assured when Lachie has the ball. His decision making and disposal is elite. I can't believe how good he has become.

soupman
03-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Gone from being trade bait to one of the first picked in a remarkable time frame.

His kicking is very tidy and he has excellent special awareness and like Daniel is creative with his disposals. I just wish he could handball better. At the moment he puts has to put his whole body into it and often makes it difficult for the receiving party to catch without altering their run drastically (see the missed handball to Crameri in the EF). Is otherwise a very clean player so I'm hoping he can improve this area.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-04-2016, 02:10 PM
According to BF, Tom Browne reported yesterday that Lachy has signed a 3 year deal with us.

Excellent news if true

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Gone from being trade bait to one of the first picked in a remarkable time frame.

His kicking is very tidy and he has excellent special awareness and like Daniel is creative with his disposals. I just wish he could handball better. At the moment he puts has to put his whole body into it and often makes it difficult for the receiving party to catch without altering their run drastically (see the missed handball to Crameri in the EF). Is otherwise a very clean player so I'm hoping he can improve this area.

How do you mean "puts his whole body" into his hand balls. He moves his body to and frown while he does it?

bornadog
05-04-2016, 03:21 PM
According to BF, Tom Browne reported yesterday that Lachy has signed a 3 year deal with us.

Excellent news if true

Great news, he is turning out to be a gun.

soupman
05-04-2016, 03:40 PM
How do you mean "puts his whole body" into his hand balls. He moves his body to and frown while he does it?

If you watch him, particularly when he goes for longer handballs, he turns his whole torso and then twists it back to make almost a flinging action with his body, usually jumping as he releases. It's a really awkward technique. He's fine in close but longer range he needs to put his whole body into it and can be a bit inaccurate as a result. Very different technique to the many other smaller sized players in the side.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2016, 05:55 PM
AFL website now running with him extending his contract, as confirmed by Bevo. No word on length.

Great news. Still recall watching him down in Adelaide in the U/18 champs and being very impressed with him, it's great to see him now having a consistent impact in the senior side.

bornadog
05-04-2016, 05:59 PM
His last 10 games have been unbelievable:

Description
Opponent
Disposals

Round 2
St Kilda

Round 1
Fremantle

Round 23
Brisbane

Round 22
North Melbourne

Round 21
West Coast

Round 20
Melbourne

Round 19
Port Adelaide

Round 18
Essendon

Round 17
Collingwood

Elimination Final 28

bornadog
05-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Dogs lock in another pup with Lachie Hunter's new deal (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-05/dogs-lock-in-another-pup-with-lachie-hunters-new-deal)
THE WESTERN Bulldogs have locked in another piece of their bright future with Lachie Hunter the latest young gun to re-sign with the club.

Luke Beveridge revealed on Tuesday that the 21-year-midfielder had recommitted to the club, saying a new approach to his footy was the catalyst for the deal.

Some off-field misdemeanours early in 2015 resulted him spending 11 of the first 14 rounds in the VFL before finishing the season as one of the Dogs' prime midfielders.

"We needed to change a few things in his life and he has become a real influential player for our football club, hence why he's just been re-contracted," Beveridge said.

"His journey from this round last year to now (has been a big turnaround because) he had some battles and things going on in the background.

"He's a beauty, 'Lach', and he's very versatile."

Hunter has played 38 games since being taken as a father-son recruit with pick No.49 in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft.

His father Mark is a former captain of the club who played 130 games from 1988-96.

Axe Man
05-04-2016, 06:05 PM
His last 9 games have been unbelievable:

Description
Opponent
Disposals

Round 2
St Kilda

Round 1
Fremantle

Round 23
Brisbane

Round 22
North Melbourne

Round 21
West Coast

Round 20
Melbourne

Round 19
Port Adelaide

Round 18
Essendon

Round 17
Collingwood

Have you wiped the final from your memory? ;)

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 06:13 PM
If you watch him, particularly when he goes for longer handballs, he turns his whole torso and then twists it back to make almost a flinging action with his body, usually jumping as he releases. It's a really awkward technique. He's fine in close but longer range he needs to put his whole body into it and can be a bit inaccurate as a result. Very different technique to the many other smaller sized players in the side.

Yep. I see what you mean. Good disposal by hand or foot is as much about balance as anything. Feet, hands and head all lined up as you strike the ball. Moving like that would make the ball loop through the air and hard to receive.

dukedog
05-04-2016, 06:19 PM
If it aint broke, don't fix it. His disposal from memory has been A grade. No good looking like a million bucks and ineffective. Keep up the good work Lachie. I believe I backed him in last year as player to be most improved. He must have come close. Think JJ or Woody may have pipped him.

bornadog
05-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Have you wiped the final from your memory? ;)

I thought I had the last ten games, but somehow I missed it in my spreadsheet. Yeah must have been wiped from the memory. :D

Eastdog
05-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Great news. He had been in top form of late as at one point he was criticised heavily with how he was going.

Eastdog
05-04-2016, 07:37 PM
At the season launch, I asked him about this turn around and he basically said under Bevo the move to the wing has freed him up to roam around instead of being stuck in the forward pocket.

Great to see him get a long term contract and he is still only 21.

Moving players to new positions can certainly do wonders. M Boyd in 2015 had a great year in the more defensive role from the midfield.

LostDoggy
05-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Dogs lock in another pup with Lachie Hunter's new deal (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-05/dogs-lock-in-another-pup-with-lachie-hunters-new-deal)
THE WESTERN Bulldogs have locked in another piece of their bright future with Lachie Hunter the latest young gun to re-sign with the club.

Luke Beveridge revealed on Tuesday that the 21-year-midfielder had recommitted to the club, saying a new approach to his footy was the catalyst for the deal.

Some off-field misdemeanours early in 2015 resulted him spending 11 of the first 14 rounds in the VFL before finishing the season as one of the Dogs' prime midfielders.

"We needed to change a few things in his life and he has become a real influential player for our football club, hence why he's just been re-contracted," Beveridge said.

"His journey from this round last year to now (has been a big turnaround because) he had some battles and things going on in the background.

"He's a beauty, 'Lach', and he's very versatile."

Hunter has played 38 games since being taken as a father-son recruit with pick No.49 in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft.

His father Mark is a former captain of the club who played 130 games from 1988-96.

So much for us losing a lot of our young stars 'cause we can't fit them in our salary cap with Toyd's contract.

All the Doomsdayers can bite it big time.

Smads57
05-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Great news - sat with him and his dad at the East West Club 'Legends and Young Guns' dinner in his first year and he was most impressive and clearly close mates with his dad.

1eyedog
05-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Moving players to new positions can certainly do wonders. M Boyd in 2015 had a great year in the more defensive role from the midfield.

Moving Jarrad Grant from Bulldog's utility to the rehab program at Brisbane has vastly improved the entire team as well.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Moving Jarrad Grant from Bulldog's utility to the rehab program at Brisbane has vastly improved the entire team as well.

I like this new model #1 too. Once we knock all the spirit and experimentation out of him he will be even better.

Remi Moses
06-04-2016, 03:24 AM
The kick in the pants he got last year has served him well . Another one thriving under Beveridge .
Once again the talking heads ( some) look like complete morons, saying we won't be able to keep our young stars

ledge
06-04-2016, 07:54 AM
And apparently Biggs is about to extend as well .

Smads57
06-04-2016, 07:21 PM
And apparently Biggs is about to extend as well .

Heard the same news - lets hope it happens soon.

bornadog
22-05-2016, 02:57 PM
There is a feature on Lachie in the pre-game on Channel 7 starting at 2.30pm today.

Mantis
23-05-2016, 02:35 PM
His goal kicking (probably kicking in general) is really starting to concern me, but do you think it's a priority to rectify for Lachie or the coaches?

There was a 1min clip sent out by the club showing vision from the training session at Spotless Stadium.. In the vision Lachie could be seen 3 or 4 times trying to kick miraculous goals.. Whilst this might be at the end of the session when players are 'mucking around', but for someone who clearly has an issue I would've thought his time could be better used at getting the basic skill of finishing off his work down pat... How you train is how you play!

bornadog
23-05-2016, 02:58 PM
His goal kicking (probably kicking in general) is really starting to concern me, but do you think it's a priority to rectify for Lachie or the coaches?

There was a 1min clip sent out by the club showing vision from the training session at Spotless Stadium.. In the vision Lachie could be seen 3 or 4 times trying to kick miraculous goals.. Whilst this might be at the end of the session when players are 'mucking around', but for someone who clearly has an issue I would've thought his time could be better used at getting the basic skill of finishing off his work down pat... How you train is how you play!

For the amount of times he gets the ball, he should be more damaging in the forward 50 (or anywhere). He has never been a great goal kicker and it is a concern. He has only had 7 shots at goal this season for a return of 4.3.

Ozza
23-05-2016, 03:36 PM
For the amount of times he gets the ball, he should be more damaging in the forward 50 (or anywhere). He has never been a great goal kicker and it is a concern. He has only had 7 shots at goal this season for a return of 4.3.

Plus a few that haven't made the distance from 40-45m out.

He's a fascinating player. Its absolutely brilliant how much ground he covers, in a single play he can get a disposal in the back pocket - and then within 30-40 seconds mark the ball forward. And he is such a smart player, knows where to go and what to do.

But then his execution is so often poor that it can be really frustrating that he doesn't finish off his work.

Certainly his good outweighs the bad - but would be great to see him tighten up his disposal and goal kicking to elevate his game.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
23-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Love him but he needs to work on his right foot

The bulldog tragician
23-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Lachie is a very important player for us. His stamina and endurance are terrific. More than his kicking, though, my main concern is with his tendency to give high floating loopy hand passes. One of these cost us big time in last year's EF.

FrediKanoute
23-05-2016, 05:04 PM
To me he is Scott West re-incarnated - he will get 30+ possessions, but not really hurt you.

He is a link player so I am less concerned about his goal kicking than some, but wish he was more clinical with his handball in particular. Personally I like him. He is coming along really well and will add this to his game.

lemmon
23-05-2016, 06:19 PM
To me he is Scott West re-incarnated - he will get 30+ possessions, but not really hurt you.

He is a link player so I am less concerned about his goal kicking than some, but wish he was more clinical with his handball in particular. Personally I like him. He is coming along really well and will add this to his game.

Interesting, I never saw Scotty in that light. If I was picking anyone from the current list to compare to Westy it's Libba

Go_Dogs
23-05-2016, 07:10 PM
He's a 'death by 1000 cuts' player and will likely never be a player with high hurt factor by foot (my definition here is kicking fast moving, 55m balls). Mitch Wallis is a completely different style player, but similar in hurt factor by foot - that Wally can now work his man over, get forward and kick goals has added a lot to his game.

Hopefully Hunter can get to this point, too.

MrMahatma
23-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Needs to get better. There's no value in a possession if it ends in a turn over. And many times he doesn't kick it to advantage as well as he could.

Could be anything if he puts the hours into improving this. He "looks" like a good kick but the end result could improve.

jeemak
23-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I'm really happy with the improvement he's shown, and I think if he tidies up his ball use he can be a genuine A-grade footballer.

It's my hope he's acknowledging his ball use issues and is working on them as hard as he seemed to work on his effort and team work to get into the side last year. If he is he can turn things around.

boydogs
24-05-2016, 12:15 AM
People that sledge Macrae & Hunter for their disposal need to try running 15k then see how far and how accurately they can kick a footy. It's a big factor in their disposal

I noticed a couple of weeks ago after some poor goalkicking that all our forwards started watching the shot clock and leaving it until the last second before having a shot. I reckon this was a coaching instruction to take all the time you can to get your breath back before taking your kick. It seemed to help a little bit, Redpath did it really well early one game but his kicking dropped off the longer the game went as he got more and more worn out

EasternWest
24-05-2016, 12:18 AM
People that sledge Macrae & Hunter for their disposal need to try running 15k then see how far and how accurately they can kick a footy. It's a big factor in their disposal

I noticed a couple of weeks ago after some poor goalkicking that all our forwards started watching the shot clock and leaving it until the last second before having a shot. I reckon this was a coaching instruction to take all the time you can to get your breath back before taking your kick. It seemed to help a little bit, Redpath it really well early one game but his kicking dropped off the longer the game went as he got more and more worn out

I think Macrae's kicking is seriously improved. He's still got a way to go, but he's made big strides.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 12:20 AM
I think Macrae's kicking is seriously improved. He's still got a way to go, but he's made big strides.
Was pretty good on Sunday.

FrediKanoute
24-05-2016, 02:03 AM
Interesting, I never saw Scotty in that light. If I was picking anyone from the current list to compare to Westy it's Libba

Libba is a better all round footballer than Scott West - he has hurt factor. Not a sledge at Westy, every side needs a guy who can extract the pill and link up play. That's what he and Hunter do well.

Mantis
24-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Around the ground it's improved.. But I haven't seen anything yet to show that it's better when delivering I50 or when kicking for goal.

Real issue that our 2 wingers struggle in this area.

LostDoggy
24-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Macrae just has zero confidence when he picks up the ball inside forward 50. Looks for any other option 3 times before having a shot. It's cost us big time several games now.

Ozza
24-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Macrae just has zero confidence when he picks up the ball inside forward 50. Looks for any other option 3 times before having a shot. It's cost us big time several games now.

Which is surprising considering that forward play was a strength of his when he joined the club (coming out of TAC cup where he went forward and regularly kicked goals).

bornadog
09-04-2018, 03:59 PM
How good was Hunter yesterday

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaUFN2RUMAAG-R4.jpg

Also one of our best last week.

Twodogs
09-04-2018, 04:22 PM
How good was Hunter yesterday

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaUFN2RUMAAG-R4.jpg

Also one of our best last week.

And we got him for draft pick number 49!

The bulldog tragician
09-04-2018, 08:09 PM
He is becoming a leader, and is such a hard worker both ways. Well done Lachie.

merantau
10-04-2018, 07:03 AM
Hunter is doing everything right. Elite runner, courageous and using the ball very well by hand and foot. Needs to learn how to kick with his right though.

Bulldog4life
10-04-2018, 11:15 AM
I have also noticed Lachie has improved his goal kicking too. A very important player for us.

Mofra
10-04-2018, 11:19 AM
I have also noticed Lachie has improved his goal kicking too. A very important player for us.
Yep nailed that set shot - wouldn't have been confident prior to this year.

Sedat
10-04-2018, 11:54 AM
I was very critical of Hunter and Bont especially in the first week and a half with their lack of defensive workrate, but both have responded exactly how you would expect talented senior leaders to do.

Twodogs
10-04-2018, 12:58 PM
I was very critical of Hunter and Bont especially in the first week and a half with their lack of defensive workrate, but both have responded exactly how you would expect talented senior leaders to do.

Speaking of leadership Bont pretty much has the captaincy tied up when Wood gives it away but I reckon Hunter might be a smoky for it. Given his improvement and dedication to making his game better it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Bulldog Revolution
10-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Around the ground it's improved.. But I haven't seen anything yet to show that it's better when delivering I50 or when kicking for goal.

Real issue that our 2 wingers struggle in this area.

Macrae did kick three against the Eagles, and whilst his shot on Sunday wasnt good, it is good that he took it - in years gone past he would have manufactured a way not to take that shot at goal.

Hes also had shots at goal in each game

BornInDroopSt'54
10-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Lachie is a gun who is more of a McVeigh with an underpinning of Hunter.

Eastdog
10-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Been very good this year. A hard worker along with Jack Macrae. Certainly could be a chance for the Sutton medal and will probably poll well in the Brownlow if he keeps it up.

Great to see Bont get some goals as well on Sunday. Gave Bont a vote. I feel he is getting back to his best very soon.

Twodogs
10-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Lachie is a gun who is more of a McVeigh with an underpinning of Hunter.

That's right Lachie has just as much McVeigh blood as he has Hunter blood doesnt he? I think his mum was born a McVeigh and she is Mark and Jarrad's Aunty. I love the McVeighs. Jarrad playing in the 2016 grand final was one less opposition player we had to worry about.

I watched him hobble over and setup for a contest on our half forward line in the first quarter. He was 30 metres from me so I could get a fair read on him and it was everything he could do to crouch down and put his hands on his knees. The pain and effort was etched on his face. God knows how he takes himself from there to running headlong into the contest looking for the ball.

Remi Moses
11-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Excellent this year, and he was outstanding on Sunday

BornInDroopSt'54
11-04-2018, 12:25 PM
That's right Lachie has just as much McVeigh blood as he has Hunter blood doesnt he? I think his mum was born a McVeigh and she is Mark and Jarrad's Aunty. I love the McVeighs. Jarrad playing in the 2016 grand final was one less opposition player we had to worry about.

I watched him hobble over and setup for a contest on our half forward line in the first quarter. He was 30 metres from me so I could get a fair read on him and it was everything he could do to crouch down and put his hands on his knees. The pain and effort was etched on his face. God knows how he takes himself from there to running headlong into the contest looking for the ball.
Fantastic pedigree has Lachie.

Bulldog Joe
11-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Fantastic pedigree has Lachie.

He certainly does.

from a breeding angle you would consider Monique Conti has the right qualities to generate the next generation of hard running footballers. Perhaps someone can make sure her and Lachie get together in a few years.

Twodogs
11-04-2018, 12:39 PM
He certainly does.

from a breeding angle you would consider Monique Conti has the right qualities to generate the next generation of hard running footballers. Perhaps someone can make sure her and Lachie get together in a few years.

I still reckon we should slip in a clause in the child minding contract (Whitten oval has a large creche co located with it) that says if your child attains a certain beep test then you get a different less athletic dozy child to take home with you because the kid you dropped off that morning is now a professional footballer. Then we test the lot of them.

1eyedog
11-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Speaking of leadership Bont pretty much has the captaincy tied up when Wood gives it away but I reckon Hunter might be a smoky for it. Given his improvement and dedication to making his game better it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Too rascally. Bont's our man. Happy to have him as VC, his Warner to Bont's Smith.

jeemak
11-04-2018, 03:18 PM
I've been really happy with how he's worked to minimise the simple attention to detail issues he used to possess. My comment used to be that he could always make a simple situation look overly difficult.

He's almost the complete running midfielder now, and my only gripe is his preference to kick around the corner with a heavy reliance on snapping, rather than drop punts........

Twodogs
11-04-2018, 03:47 PM
I've been really happy with how he's worked to minimise the simple attention to detail issues he used to possess. My comment used to be that he could always make a simple situation look overly difficult.

He's almost the complete running midfielder now, and my only gripe is his preference to kick around the corner with a heavy reliance on snapping, rather than drop punts........

As a young tracker I was always taught that was the lazy way to kick for goal. "Never kick across you body, son. Straighten up and kick through the ball"

Happy Days
11-04-2018, 04:16 PM
As a young tracker I was always taught that was the lazy way to kick for goal. "Never kick across you body, son. Straighten up and kick through the ball"

I used to exclusively kick like this - I thought it looked cool and when you hit one right it tended to go faster off the boot.

Plus when you're only getting the ball like 3 times a game you want it to appear to the opposition that you're an incredibly skilled type who is just having an off day.

jeemak
11-04-2018, 04:46 PM
Kicking across the body is fine if you have to, it's just sooooo much more accurate if you still go to the effort of kicking a drop punt. It's why players in the majority of instances still use a drop punt when hitting up a lead via an across the body kick.

Twodogs
11-04-2018, 05:18 PM
I used to exclusively kick like this - I thought it looked cool and when you hit one right it tended to go faster off the boot.

Plus when you're only getting the ball like 3 times a game you want it to appear to the opposition that you're an incredibly skilled type who is just having an off day.

I feel your lack of ability, testify brother!

Kicking across the body is fine if you have to, it's just sooooo much more accurate if you still go to the effort of kicking a drop punt. It's why players in the majority of instances still use a drop punt when hitting up a lead via an across the body kick.

It comes down to balance doesn't it! If you are confident no one is going to knock you off your feet you are always better to straighten up and kick the drop punt.

Smads57
11-04-2018, 06:12 PM
I like watching Lachie in interview situations - his responses are always short and to the point. Importantly, they don't give away too much!

Stefcep
26-05-2018, 11:30 AM
OK , so at what point does the blow torch get pointed at this guy? How many more key goal kicking moments will he be able to shank without consequence, given that at 90-odd games he is in his prime and ought to be one of the leaders? How many more crappy little kicks or floaty handballs that put team mates under pressure does he get to make ?

bulldogtragic
26-05-2018, 11:40 AM
OK , so at what point does the blow torch get pointed at this guy? How many more key goal kicking moments will he be able to shank without consequence, given that at 90-odd games he is in his prime and ought to be one of the leaders? How many more crappy little kicks or floaty handballs that put team mates under pressure does he get to make ?

Until he irons these things out this is his ceiling. He's got the potential to be elite, no dignity, no doubt, but as you say these things are still embedded in his game still. I'm not sure how he and the coaches fix it. We all want to see him move into the elite category of player, but there's no clear sign of things improving with his skills and also to an extent his decision making over a full game. What can be done or what is being done? Are coaches ok with it? Are coaches trying to improve these aspects and is Lachie ignoring it? I don't know, all I know is these problems are still lingering.

anfo27
26-05-2018, 01:36 PM

He is the least of our problems imo. At least he busts his arse every week when 3/4 of his team mates do not.

jeemak
26-05-2018, 09:01 PM
He is like many of our players, if he's not 100% switched on he turns into a liability who cooks his own head and can't do the basics right.

Not sure if it's maturity, or complacency, both or something else.