PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs move “the right decision”, says Hamling

Bulldog4life
13-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Bulldogs recruit Joel Hamling is making the most of his new home at Victoria University Whitten Oval, as he gears up for a big summer.

The former Geelong defender joined the Bulldogs as a delisted free agent in November 2014 in what he says was the right move.

“I met with Jason McCartney and the recruiting staff and the opportunity to join a young upcoming team, for me it was the best option.”

“It’s been really good, it’s a young group… I’ve loved my first four weeks here so far.

The 194 centimetre West Australian joins a host of defenders to arrive at the club in the off-season including ex-Swan Shane Biggs, which will help bolster the Dogs’ backline depth.

Setting Hamling apart is his athleticism and versatility, having spent time up forward with Geelong’s VFL team.

Hamling says that time at Geelong taught him valuable lessons, that he hopes to bring to his game with the Bulldogs.

“Learning off guys like Harry Taylor… Tom Lonergan and Andrew Mackie and all these sort of guys, it’s been great for me, for my development.

Hamling is looking to increase his running capacity this summer with an aim to making his senior debut after a considerable apprenticeship in the AFL system.

“Obviously to play round one [is my goal]… probably just play my role in the team, try and play each week and help the team out.”

Yet Hamling knows there is a lot of work to be done before then.

“It’s been a solid four weeks, it’s going to be a hard January I’d say.”

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-12-13/happy-hamling-at-new-home

1eyedog
13-12-2014, 05:36 PM
What other choice did he have? Did he field other offers?

boydogs
13-12-2014, 06:18 PM
What other choice did he have? Did he field other offers?

Maybe Geelong were going to rookie him

soupman
13-12-2014, 06:34 PM
It's been reported that there were a few clubs interested in giving him a second chance.

Bulldog4life
13-12-2014, 08:48 PM
It's been reported that there were a few clubs interested in giving him a second chance.

Yes I heard that too.

F'scary
14-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Because he has had 3 years in the system, he ticks the "round 1 ready" box, even if he hasn't managed a senior game in his time at the Pussies. Happy to give him a go. Hell, it was him or use pick 118 in the ND, wasn't it? I wonder what got him the nod ahead of a couple of other delisted KPB's that were likewise ready to go in 2015?

boydogs
14-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Because he has had 3 years in the system, he ticks the "round 1 ready" box, even if he hasn't managed a senior game in his time at the Pussies. Happy to give him a go. Hell, it was him or use pick 118 in the ND, wasn't it? I wonder what got him the nod ahead of a couple of other delisted KPB's that were likewise ready to go in 2015?

Random fact, we now have 3 KPD's selected in the 30's in 2011

Joel Hamling - #32 2011 / DFA 2014
Jordan Kelly - #38 2011 / Rookie #23 2014
Michael Talia - #39 2011

mjp
15-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Joel is a good player - have faith.

Twodogs
15-12-2014, 12:55 AM
What are his strengths Mike? Just from the limited amount of time I have seen him at training he seems physically imposing and has a nice left foot kick.

F'scary
16-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Random fact, we now have 3 KPD's selected in the 30's in 2011

Joel Hamling - #32 2011 / DFA 2014
Jordan Kelly - #38 2011 / Rookie #23 2014
Michael Talia - #39 2011

Hmmm, confounding. The answer to complete the series outlined above seems to be Talia DFA/Rookie 2015.

1eyedog
16-12-2014, 02:19 PM
What are his strengths Mike? Just from the limited amount of time I have seen him at training he seems physically imposing and has a nice left foot kick.

From what I have seen at training also he is a very strong overhead mark.

mjp
05-01-2015, 04:43 PM

He is super athletic - runs like a gazelle, isn't scared (will put his head over it).
Takes a nice strong grad and will really fly for the ball.
Kicks it well for a big fella (but it can break down a bit under pressure).

Remember, he lived in Broome until his 19th year, played minimal high-level footy as a junior (was a 19 yo in the National Champs) so even though he was a pretty high draft pick he was coming from a loooooong way back. I caught up with him at the champs in the last two years and he really seems to have settled into life in Vic...you have to remember, this is a kid who spent his spare time salmon fishing off the beach and camping out - not playing on iPads and going to parties - as a teenager.

He will be a good player for us.

Bulldog Joe
06-01-2015, 08:58 AM
He is super athletic - runs like a gazelle, isn't scared (will put his head over it).

Remember, he lived in Broome until his 19th year, played minimal high-level footy as a junior (was a 19 yo in the National Champs) so even though he was a pretty high draft pick he was coming from a loooooong way back. I caught up with him at the champs in the last two years and he really seems to have settled into life in Vic...you have to remember, this is a kid who spent his spare time salmon fishing off the beach and camping out - not playing on iPads and going to parties - as a teenager.

I like your confidence.

What I don't understand is how Geelong would let him go, if what you say is correct.
I do know they had to make way for Mitch Clark, but they traded for Rhys Stanley. Perhaps they see Stanley as capable to fill in as a ruckman, where Hamling never could.

LostDoggy
06-01-2015, 10:52 AM

I've seen him lagging behind Jarrad Grant in some endurance runs. He was running like a gazelle, just one that had been shot a couple of times.

Really needs to improve his stamina.

KT31
06-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I've seen him lagging behind Jarrad Grant in some endurance runs. He was running like a gazelle, just one that had been shot a couple of times.

Really needs to improve his stamina.

Might of been about to lap him.:)

Testekill
16-01-2015, 12:36 PM

He moves pretty well for a guy his size, can take an overhead mark and has played at both ends in the Geelong VFL team to pretty respectable results. Big concern is that he doesn't have much of a tank and I have no idea how he tested in regards to his potential cardio levels.

F'scary
17-01-2015, 02:53 PM
He should have a tank. It is not as if he is carrying much bulk on his frame.

azabob
17-01-2015, 03:35 PM
He should have a tank. It is not as if he is carrying much bulk on his frame.

Ha! J.grant and L.Jones say hi...

F'scary
17-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Ha! J.grant and L.Jones say hi...

...good point. :D

bornadog
19-10-2016, 12:22 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvCNdjLVUAAyZ_3.jpg:large

1eyedog
19-10-2016, 01:32 PM
You will always be a premiership player for the Bulldogs but leaving two weeks after the Grand Final means you will always be somewhat of an outsider as well. This will be especially so if we win another flag or two.

Twodogs
19-10-2016, 02:16 PM
You will always be a premiership player for the Bulldogs but leaving two weeks after the Grand Final means you will always be somewhat of an outsider as well. This will be especially so if we win another flag or two.

Yep. He's welcome to the first premiership reunion. ;)

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Always disappointing to lose a Premiership player so quickly. You wonder about his wisdom in choosing Fremantle. I hope it isn't a premature move on his part. One of Cordy Adams or Collins will hopefully fill the gap.

Bulldog Revolution
19-10-2016, 09:39 PM
We didn't want him to go, but greatly appreciate what he did in the second half of the year

If we'd played him a bit more earlier in the year maybe things would be different, but if his Dad is sick then its hard to feel too bad

Thanks for your role in the premiership Hammer

Eastdog
19-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Wherever they go now they will always be premiership players which is special and even a lot of the greats in the past can't attach that label. Very much appreciated his effort for us in defence later in the year but this is the nature of the have nowadays.

LostDoggy
19-10-2016, 11:24 PM
Thought it was a classy message. The typos indicate to me that it was a genuine communication. Good luck to him.

merantau
30-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Yes, good luck to him. He was very good for us in the finals, especially the big one.

josie
30-10-2016, 07:38 PM
I loved Hammer in the RWB. Really sorry to see him leave, however understand and respect his reasons. Will follow his career with some interest and wish him well, except when Freo are playing us. Given what I know about the 2 coaches, I think he will miss playing with us.

All the best Hammer!!

1eyedog
30-10-2016, 11:15 PM
In all honesty I can see him falling off a cliff over there.

SonofScray
01-11-2016, 11:37 AM
In all honesty I can see him falling off a cliff over there.

I think so too. He had a terrific few weeks with us & I placed a lot of value on him as an option in our backline but the system we play got the best out of his skill set. There is always a risk that in a different system the gaps in the skill set get exposed. I had him off the list at the half way mark of the season, so the gap between what he can do and can't feels pretty massive.

Wish him all the best and understand his decision, I am disappointed in some ways and not too fussed in others. If Adams goes next year, then it stings a bit more.

1eyedog
01-11-2016, 12:40 PM
I think so too. He had a terrific few weeks with us & I placed a lot of value on him as an option in our backline but the system we play got the best out of his skill set. There is always a risk that in a different system the gaps in the skill set get exposed. I had him off the list at the half way mark of the season, so the gap between what he can do and can't feels pretty massive.

Wish him all the best and understand his decision, I am disappointed in some ways and not too fussed in others. If Adams goes next year, then it stings a bit more.

Given his personality I think Hamling could happily walk away from football at the end of his contract over there. He's made a few million, had 8 years in the system now back to Broome for some fishing.

Twodogs
01-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Given his personality I think Hamling could happily walk away from football at the end of his contract over there. He's made a few million, had 8 years in the system now back to Broome for some fishing.

Yeah. He's done really well. Given where he's come from to be a premiership player and get a million dollar contract to move back home is a big acheivment.

Good luck to him. He helped to bring about one of the great moments if my life and I always be indebted to him for it.