PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Improver 2015

Avoid the rush
18-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Who do other posters consider will take the next step forward this coming season? My opinion is that both Easton Wood and Lin Jong will be our next a-graders and the one's most sought after by our opponents. (Couldn't help it!!)

BulldogBelle
18-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Don't want to the moz on Jong but l see big things for him as well.

jeemak
18-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I see Wallis taking a significant step in the midfield, starting to be more of an accumulator rather than a more defensively minded midfielder. He can't throw defence out the door though, it will still need to be a big part of his game.

I'd love to see one of our young defenders take another big step forward, but there's not enough exposed form to date to suggest they are ready to.

F'scary
18-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Hamlet. He will not be a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is heard no more.

Avoid the rush
18-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Where for art though (Jose) ROMERO!!!!!

Maddog37
18-12-2014, 08:55 PM
I hope it is Talia. Give him some senior time and gain some confidence.

Twodogs
18-12-2014, 09:07 PM
All of them.

bulldogtragic
18-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Boyd, T.

LostDoggy
18-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Jarrad Grant, I think his foot injury in the pre season of 2014 stuffed up his whole season. I am hoping he can find the form of 2013 again and cement a permanent place in the side.

boydogs
18-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Lachie Hunter, tipping a real breakout year for him where he solidifies a spot in our best 22 and becomes a consistent performer, dangerous up forward and a good user in stints through the middle

bornadog
18-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Stringer to go to the next level and really excel.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-12-2014, 12:35 AM
Bonti.

Greystache
19-12-2014, 01:22 AM
Grant. Unlike the previous 7 years, this year will be different. :D

But seriously, I think Stringer seems best placed to take the next step. I hope Bonti can build on what he showed last year but I think it's too much to hope he'll dominate. Macrae and Libba will hopefully be fully fledged A graders by season's end. Campbell is capable of being number one ruck during the season and we'll be well placed if he can achieve that.

Mantis
19-12-2014, 09:00 AM
But seriously, I think Stringer seems best placed to take the next step. I hope Bonti can build on what he showed last year but I think it's too much to hope he'll dominate. Macrae and Libba will hopefully be fully fledged A graders by season's end. Campbell is capable of being number one ruck during the season and we'll be well placed if he can achieve that.

How is Campbell's best different to Minson's best.. What's his point of difference that will make us a better team?

soupman
19-12-2014, 09:07 AM
How is Campbell's best different to Minson's best.. What's his point of difference that will make us a better team?

Beardedness?

LostDoggy
19-12-2014, 09:52 AM

Given Minsons age I'm assuming he meant we will be well placed moving forward, not particually next year.

westdog54
19-12-2014, 10:32 AM

Given Minsons age I'm assuming he meant we will be well placed moving forward, not particually next year.

That's how I read it as well.

Given Campbell's superior effectiveness up forward, if Campbell is in a position to become number 1 ruck then that does not bode well for Minson.

Mofra
19-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Given Campbell's superior effectiveness up forward, if Campbell is in a position to become number 1 ruck then that does not bode well for Minson.
Last year he looked lost for periods up forward.
I think Campbell still has quite a way to go to get to Minson's standard - we're forgetting Will was the best ruckman in the competition in 2013.

As for most improved - Hrovat is due, has the tools but had an interrupted pre-season last year. With clear run at it he will stamp himself in the best 22.

I'd expect Fletcher to play 10 games this year depending on how his body holds up

BornInDroopSt'54
19-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Where for art though (Jose) ROMERO!!!!!

As Twodogs can no doubt confirm, 'wherefore' actually means 'why' not 'where'. Juliet is asking why are you a Capulet and so a Montague enemy.
I too think Lin Jong has a great character and Griffen like speed and bullocking and can become very important. I think Koby Stevens can further his craft as well, but Hunter is the one to have a big impact next year. If only Jarrad Grant could man up and make the most of his skills then he would be the man.

bornadog
19-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Last year he looked lost for periods up forward.
I think Campbell still has quite a way to go to get to Minson's standard - we're forgetting Will was the best ruckman in the competition in 2013.

This ^^^^

The Bulldogs Bite
19-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Grant. Unlike the previous 7 years, this year will be different. :D

Usually I would agree, but having watched Bonti at training he already looks like our best player. Fitter, bigger, stronger - it's a scary thought, he may not dominate per se but I can't see him do anything but improve. He's that good.

The whole class from 2012 probably fit into this thread though. Macrae has established himself but still has a fair bit to improve on whilst Stringer, Hrovat and Hunter all look set to make some strong strides forward. If he can get himself fit, Prudden may surprise too.

Dancin' Douggy
19-12-2014, 12:21 PM
In all seriousness. If T.Boyd, Jake Stringer and the Bontiff all deliver on their potential.
We may well have the best 3 players in the league. Seriously.

Greystache
19-12-2014, 12:22 PM

Minson can contest the tap out, that's all. Between ball ups he's like being one short. Campbell can mark the ball, which makes provides us something around the ground, plus he can be a genuine option coming out of defence and he can also drop in the hole in defence and have an impact. This makes him a more valuable player if he can step up.

He's also shown he can kick a goal pretty regularly, again not something Minson offers bar the occasional scrap out of the ruck.

KT31
19-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Stringer for me, a full preseason and another year further from his broken leg.
Did some great things last season and not sure why but think Bevo will give him a bit more free reign to provide some x-factor.
Hopefully Hrovat will also show his wares with the absence of Gia.

Ghost Dog
19-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Libba is still so young. Will hulk out this season and monster the opposition, going from strength to strength.

LostDoggy
19-12-2014, 06:36 PM
I think Minsons days are numbered, I would have been happy to see us trade him and get something for him while he still has currency. Big Will won't be there when we are a serious threat, so why not play Campbell as first ruck next year and get the games and development into him?

GVGjr
19-12-2014, 06:52 PM

Based on some VFL observations I think Campbell is a better mark around the ground than Minson which might give him a point of difference. I'd also think Campbell is a better option up forward than Will but not great at it. The big question mark for me is if Campbell has the stamina to play as the sole ruckman for an extended period. Minson has been a very good option for a few years now and Campbell has his work cut out to catch him

dukedog
19-12-2014, 07:14 PM
im going to lock in Lachie Hunter for this one. But STRINGER could very well dominate with Boyd taking the heat off him and Crameri

bulldogtragic
19-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Now he's departed, I spoke to Macca at a function recently. He said to me and I heard him to say to others in conversation Jake Stringer has shown 10% of his ability to date. He furthered that by saying if he can get to the level of maximum output he said he will be the best player he's coached in his career. He also said Jones was staying and he was coaching next year, so what you will.... But if true and the clubs coaches think similar, I'm hoping like hell they're right. In front of the audience he said of Jake who was in the audience 'Jake and I don't discuss talent. What do we talk about Jake'? Jake said 'work-rate'.

If you believe this, next year it might be him.

Smads57
19-12-2014, 09:55 PM
From watching a couple of training sessions, Stringer and Bontimpelli for me. We will need some midfielders to step as well to cover Coons and Griff's departures. Like some other posters, I think this could comprise Hunter, Hrovat and Jong.

F'scary
19-12-2014, 10:28 PM
From watching a couple of training sessions, Stringer and Bontimpelli for me. We will need some midfielders to step as well to cover Coons and Griff's departures. Like some other posters, I think this could comprise Hunter, Hrovat and Jong.

Any thoughts from Woofers on Jong's kicking skills? How about his handball skills? Vision? I have watched him play a number of AFL games now but he has had insufficient possessions to leave any impression on me as to his decision making and the level of disposal skills.

lemmon
20-12-2014, 12:57 AM
I like Hrovat, he's had a decent taste now and only really teased but I think he has all the attributes to be a very good, 200 game midfielder. Class with the footy, poise and smarts, once he gets the tank to find more of the footy we're going to have a 25 possession a game, super crisp midfielder.

Twodogs
20-12-2014, 02:39 AM
Any thoughts from Woofers on Jong's kicking skills? How about his handball skills? Vision? I have watched him play a number of AFL games now but he has had insufficient possessions to leave any impression on me as to his decision making and the level of disposal skills.

His kicking is better and has been a lot worse.

1eyedog
20-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Wallis. I believe he will become a Matty Boyd with more smarts. I reckon we'll see some evidence next year that he will be our next captain.

The Underdog
20-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Count me as on the Stringer bandwagon. He showed in the 2nd half of last year that things were starting to click. You could see the belief in himself to break tackles and beat his opponent. Think we'll see a rise in consistency and in a lot of cases, he'll just be better than his opponent.

Go_Dogs
20-12-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm going to go with JJ.

After a very promising 2013 which ended due to injury, he never quite hit his straps in 2014. He did however have some moments at senior level where he showed his talent, including the ability to break the lines and kick a goal. I think his best spot is going to end up as a midfielder rather than as a half back - but if he can have a full pre-season and add some more strength and composure, he's going to be a pretty important piece of our puzzle.

bulldogtragic
20-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Imagine if all of us were right. Just take a few seconds to imagine that.

The Underdog
20-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Imagine if all of us were right. Just take a few seconds to imagine that.

Pretty sure it's illegal to have thoughts like that....at least in Bulldogs law

Twodogs
20-12-2014, 03:17 PM
It's OK to have those thoughts. Just not in company.

stefoid
20-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Jong - I guess I would have him playing some sort of defensive role on an opposition mid. Keep them down and get an education at the same time. Hes as big and as fast as any gun mid going around. And hopefully a number of times a game, a loose ball or handball finds its way into his mitts and he puts on the afterburners and breaks some lines.

F'scary
20-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Jong - I guess I would have him playing some sort of defensive role on an opposition mid. Keep them down and get an education at the same time. Hes as big and as fast as any gun mid going around. And hopefully a number of times a game, a loose ball or handball finds its way into his mitts and he puts on the afterburners and breaks some lines.

The afterburners appear to be one of his strong suites. And he does have real afterburners, not alleged ones.

jeemak
20-12-2014, 11:01 PM
I can see Jong becoming a quicker version of Brett Kirk. Whilst the latter was probably a little underrated for smarts as he improved throughout his career, his crazy intent and attack towards the football is something Jong already possesses.

Jong needs to be a player that can dig the ball out of the contest, work away from it with speed and also get his hands on it loose. His big challenge will be using the football by hand instead of by foot. While he may improve his kicking he's never going to be better than a so so user of the footy by foot. He will need to work around it.

Eastdog
21-12-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm hoping to see more from Wallis next year as jeemak mentioned. Jong has a lot of potential and I think we need to give him much more time. How do you guys see Dickson fitting into our forward structure?

Talia and Roberts I'm hoping can take some steps next year. Still great that we have experience heads down there in Murph and Morris.

F'scary
21-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm hoping to see more from Wallis next year as jeemak mentioned. Jong has a lot of potential and I think we need to give him much more time. How do you guys see Dickson fitting into our forward structure?

Talia and Roberts I'm hoping can take some steps next year. Still great that we have experience heads down there in Murph and Morris.

Tricky Dicky could easily be a permanent forward next year if he can get a look in. He has his bag of offerings which includes being a reliable set shot at goal, being a good mark for his size and having the knack of being able to sneak forward of the ball unmarked. Obviously, there will be heavy competition for the two positions he plays but with the Grifter, Cooney, Higgins & Gia not being in the mix next year he could have his opportunities.

w3design
22-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Shaun Higgins and Liam Jones.... both are training the house down.

Mofra
22-12-2014, 10:34 AM
In all seriousness. If T.Boyd, Jake Stringer and the Bontiff all deliver on their potential.
We may well have the best 3 players in the league. Seriously.
Libba & Macrae are currently ahead of all three :eek: - I'd nominate those two as most likely from our side to make the AA squad

Eastdog
22-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Libba & Macrae are currently ahead of all three :eek: - I'd nominate those two as most likely from our side to make the AA squad

Both Libba and Macrae you just feel are going to be great for us in the middle. Will Wallis ever be in this category. At the moment he would still have a bit of work to do.

Twodogs
22-12-2014, 09:37 PM

I see Dickson as a best 22 player but can also see him playing a few games at Footscray while we try some different forward set ups. But if he plays well when they play him on the AFL side then it will make it hard to drop him to the VFL side.

bulldogtragic
22-12-2014, 09:51 PM
I see Dickson as a best 22 player but can also see him playing a few games at Footscray while we try some different forward set ups. But if he plays well when they play him on the AFL side then it will make it hard to drop him to the VFL side.

I'm sitting on the fence, if our guys can stay fit we have too many mid sized forwards. I like the idea of trialling Grant as he's the closest specimen we have to Bob. The other thought is seeing what Dickson might have to offer off the HBF. I don't mind his disposal, he's a good height, ok speed and a mature body which may be important if we spend the year playing in the defensive end of the ground.

F'scary
22-12-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm sitting on the fence, if our guys can stay fit we have too many mid sized forwards. I like the idea of trialling Grant as he's the closest specimen we have to Bob. The other thought is seeing what Dickson might have to offer off the HBF. I don't mind his disposal, he's a good height, ok speed and a mature body which may be important if we spend the year playing in the defensive end of the ground.

An interesting proposition. Dickson has worked very hard to improve the defensive side of his game since he started with us. But with Dahlhaus most definitely and Hunter quite possibly playing more time in the centre, the retirement of Gia and Stringer or Crameri possibly having to play CHF, he may yet get his chance in the forward line.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-12-2014, 12:53 AM
I like Dickson, but he has no flexibility in his game. He simply cannot play anywhere but forward. We've tried playing him further up the ground as both a high half forward and part time mid, but he gets lost, can't find the ball and when he does his decision making and skill execution is quite poor.

He is a dangerous forward though, because he reads the play and uses his body extremely well in contested situations. Ball in hand in the F50 and he's a better finisher than most.

I question whether he has enough tricks (and flexibility of course) to play consistently at the top level.

soupman
23-12-2014, 12:55 PM
I like Dickson, but he has no flexibility in his game. He simply cannot play anywhere but forward. We've tried playing him further up the ground as both a high half forward and part time mid, but he gets lost, can't find the ball and when he does his decision making and skill execution is quite poor.

He is a dangerous forward though, because he reads the play and uses his body extremely well in contested situations. Ball in hand in the F50 and he's a better finisher than most.

I question whether he has enough tricks (and flexibility of course) to play consistently at the top level.

I think someone described it as its like he has a bungee chord linking him with the goals meaning the further he gets from them the worse he plays.

I thought it was a good analogy.

Mofra
23-12-2014, 06:03 PM

I guess that's the issue - how many forwards do we play who can't rotate through the middle in an era of interchange rotations being capped?

He may well be a case of a best 22 player not being in the side because flexibility is more important.

We had no real marking 'medium' style forwards in our best 22 when he joined us - now we have Crammers & Stringer who are best 22, Grant is still fringe, Boyd will play forward with no rotation - he may miss out just due to team balance. Consider that Hunter/Bonti/Stevens + whichever debutant gets a game will rotate forward and it's likely a mid will rest forward at times too, he has a challenge.

jeemak
23-12-2014, 06:24 PM
A fit Dickson with continuity in his game is definite best 22 for mine.

He's too dangerous and smart around goal, and having a specialist forward isn't a bad thing if they are doing the defencive work to lock the ball in. This has been Dickson's major issue to date, his lapses in work rate that see him go entire games without a tackle.

Remi Moses
23-12-2014, 06:35 PM
That's the issue with Dickson, as he can go cold for long periods.
Tough gig though playing small medium starvation corner forward

jeemak
23-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Especially for us.

F'scary
23-12-2014, 08:10 PM
That's the issue with Dickson, as he can go cold for long periods.
Tough gig though playing small medium starvation corner forward

Especially for us.

Not next year. Boydosaur Junior will completely change everything on the forward line.

doggies ftw
23-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Not next year. Boydosaur Junior will completely change everything on the forward line.

Agreed, even just him being there is going to straighten us up sooo much and just let Crammers and Stringer off the hook, I'd also just chain one of Honey/Dahl to his feet.