PDA

View Full Version : Jason Cloke

wimberga
10-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Announced today in the paper he has signed a Two Year Deal with Williamstown. Sounds as though Brad Gotch had a bit to do with it. cant find the article but it was just a side snippet in todays herald sun.

Would you be happy to see him rookied?

Sockeye Salmon
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Announced today in the paper he has signed a Two Year Deal with Williamstown. Sounds as though Brad Gotch had a bit to do with it. cant find the article but it was just a side snippet in todays herald sun.

He's too old to be rookied and too crap to be drafted.

I think Wight, O'Shea and Cloke will be Willi's tall backmen next year and Tiller, Galea and 1 or 2 of our draftees as forwards.

GVGjr
10-11-2007, 01:07 PM

I'm not sure why Williamstown are interested in him but he can play at that VFL level.

As Sockeye said he cannot be rookie listed.

wimberga
10-11-2007, 01:14 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22732895%255E20322,00.html

Theres the link

bornadog
10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
At one stage Cloke was a top Backman and Malthouse tried to move him to CHF, in the grandfinal and it didn't work out. I believe he had a dispute with the coaching staff and was then on the outer.

At 25 years old he should be at his peak for a tall, and last year was second in the best and Fairest for Bendigo.

I am not sure how tall he is, and whether we take a punt on him or whether we should, I am not too sure. Our backline is very young, and Harris is the oldest now that Chris has retired, so we are relying on young talls to see us through. Williams is going to be good, but still needs plenty of work. So, something to think about.

LostDoggy
10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
He was never a 'top chb'. He played loose in defence. Then sides worked him out, made him accountable and he hasnt been seen since. Why would anyone even consider drafting a player like Cloke? He is another Mcdougall / Skipper in my eyes. Better off taking a punt on a skinny 17yr old

LostDoggy
10-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Is he even classified as a tall? Isnt he around the same height as Hahn?

Good at VFL, shit at AFL to put it simply. And like someone else said, i would rather take the punt on a youngster.

bornadog
11-11-2007, 12:13 AM
He was never a 'top chb'. He played loose in defence. Then sides worked him out, made him accountable and he hasnt been seen since. Why would anyone even consider drafting a player like Cloke? He is another Mcdougall / Skipper in my eyes. Better off taking a punt on a skinny 17yr old

Yep your probably right on the money there.

Mantis
11-11-2007, 11:25 AM

Which is what?

McDougall as a defender is a far better option as he would be atleast 3 inches taller meaning he can comfortably play 'tall', which Cloke can't.

The Underdog
11-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Can he kick yet?
Can he pick up an opponent?

Two reasons why he's at Williamstown and not Collingwood.
His AFL days are gone. if his name wasn't Cloke and he hadn't played at Collingwood, this wouldn't even make the papers.

Dancin' Douggy
11-11-2007, 12:19 PM
don't like him don't want him

Max469
11-11-2007, 01:23 PM
with the son - comes the father - no thanks

GVGjr
11-11-2007, 01:26 PM
with the son - comes the father - no thanks

The father isn't a factor here at all. If Cloke was to be drafted by us (and that won't happen) Cloke snr would have three boys at three different teams and wouldn't be around any club too much.

dog town
11-11-2007, 01:36 PM
The game changed that quickly that Cloke went from a top level defender to a liability in the space of a year. He is very good at reading the play and coming in third man up at contests in defence but you cant really afford to play a guy like him loose anymore. He doesn't have great foot skills and cannot carry the footy. On top of this teams have gotten better at spotting up loose targets inside 50. Even a guy like Jared Rivers has found the going tougher since his first year and that was always going to happen. I said earlier in the year that if Cloke had played AFL 10 years earlier he would have been an absolute star.

FWIW I saw him a couple of times last year and he has obviously worked on broadening his game. He is easily good enough to be on an AFL list IMO but as far as I can see we just dont need him. We are pretty well set for key defenders and he has always struggled as a forward.