PDA

View Full Version : Murphy in 08

wimberga
11-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Where do you see Bobby Murphy playing next season?

LostDoggy
11-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Forward flank or small lead up chf

LostDoggy
11-11-2007, 05:12 PM
We have a problem scoring goals and keeping the scoreboard ticking over so Murphy should play as a half forward flanker. He has the ability to be a 40 goal a season flanker.
I think he is better suited to being a defender though but we cannot afford to lose him from the forward line.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I understand Murph was coming back from a serious injury, but I think he might be of more value to us playing off half back and releasing Griffen into the midfield, than playing up forward. Perhaps even stints on the wing could be useful. He's a really good mark and is perhaps the most creative player in the AFL when he's switched on. Playing him on the wing could make him a much more dangerous player and save him from the crash & bash of the forward line.

He's hit and miss with his goal kicking, so I don't think he's absolutely 'critical' to our forward line. No doubt, he can be a match winner on his day - but sometimes we don't get anything from him and it seems he's being wasted.

I think his roles might change accoridng to form and matchups. Against some sides we might need a bit of "X Factor", and he'll play forward. However there will be probably times he'll play a role across half back. I suppose the one thing that is of a huge bonus when he plays forward is taking the pressure and sole focus off Johnson. That would probably weigh heavily into deciding where he plays too. Football's a game of IF's, but I wonder if we had two key forwards if Murphy would ever play forward?

It's interesting; Murphy & Hahn were great players prior to injury, and in 2006 without them we had a pretty good season. I wonder, at their A game, how much they could of improved us?

GVGjr
11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
I understand Murph was coming back from a serious injury, but I think he might be of more value to us playing off half back and releasing Griffen into the midfield, than playing up forward.

Slightly off topic but Griffen wasn't good when he spent a fair bit of time in the midfield early last year especially in the centre square. My guess is that he should return to the half back flank and when he is back in form trial him as a midfielder. At times he looked clueless in the centre square.

wimberga
11-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I believe that Murph would be best to play on the Wing, allowing him to still create and push forward and back.

Mantis
11-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I understand Murph was coming back from a serious injury, but I think he might be of more value to us playing off half back and releasing Griffen into the midfield, than playing up forward. Perhaps even stints on the wing could be useful. He's a really good mark and is perhaps the most creative player in the AFL when he's switched on. Playing him on the wing could make him a much more dangerous player and save him from the crash & bash of the forward line.?

So who takes his spot across half forward? Murf is our best lead up forward, end of story.

He's hit and miss with his goal kicking, so I don't think he's absolutely 'critical' to our forward line. No doubt, he can be a match winner on his day - but sometimes we don't get anything from him and it seems he's being wasted.

Lies. He is a very good set shot for goal. When he was fit this year (which was rare) and besides Johnson he was our most dangerous forward.

It's interesting; Murphy & Hahn were great players prior to injury, and in 2006 without them we had a pretty good season. I wonder, at their A game, how much they could of improved us?

Surprise, surprise. Our forward line was actually half functional in the early parts of 06 due to the efforts of these 2 guys in particular. If you have the highlights DVD have a look and see for yourself.

I have no doubt that our forwardline will be much better next year with Murphy and Hahn playing down there and with there bodies in much better shape than they were this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2007, 11:15 PM
So who takes his spot across half forward? Murf is our best lead up forward, end of story.

He's good but I don't think he's crucial to our forward line setup. If a Tiller can develop, he could play a 'watered down' role of Murphys. Not saying Murphy should be excluded from the forward line alltogether, but I'd like to see his creative play up the ground a bit at times too.

Lies. He is a very good set shot for goal. When he was fit this year (which was rare) and besides Johnson he was our most dangerous forward.

Dangerous, yes. But I'd love to see the stats for his goal kicking. I've seen him miss plenty of relatively easy shots.[/QUOTE]

Surprise, surprise. Our forward line was actually half functional in the early parts of 06 due to the efforts of these 2 guys in particular. If you have the highlights DVD have a look and see for yourself.

And if you have a look at our midfield/backline in 2007, you'll see we were slaughtered most weeks. A player of Murphy's class would help enormously in the midfield or even at times down back. Eagleton is shut out of games too often and isn't good defensively, Ray's footskills are average & Cross/Boyd/West are the same type. Throwing Murphy into the mix gives us something completely different. It's at least worth a try IMO. With McMahon gone too, it creates a bit of a running hole in the back half. Murphy would be able fill this up but cosniderably do a much better job.

Hahn I would argue is absolutely critical to the forward line/midfield. Murphy on the other hand is a player I'd look at switching around at different points in time. He can play anywhere - forward, midfield and back - his creativity and intelligence around the football would be benefitical. I personally believe we have much better 'finishers' in our side, hence my point of moving Murphy up the ground at certain times.

Out of curiousity, what was Murph's best season goal wise? If it's 40+ then you're right, it's probably of more use keeping him there.

wimberga
11-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I guess Murphy is a bit like a mini-grant in his versatility, although a different player and build, and probably more damaging in midfield than Grant would have been.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2007, 11:21 PM
I stand corrected 'accuracy' wise.

94 goals 61 behinds for Murph's career.

Interesting, I could of sworn it'd be the other way around.

Murph's best season was 2005 with 33 goals.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2007, 11:27 PM
I guess Murphy is a bit like a mini-grant in his versatility, although a different player and build, and probably more damaging in midfield than Grant would have been.

More or less; my point.

A player with incredible versatility, vision and skill - why not play him like one? He could be our smaller version of Goodes so to speak, or as wimberga said - Grant. He could even be a bit like Hunter from The Eagles.

Especially now that Cooney is becoming a very good goal kicker, kicking 25+ in his last two seasons. I'd expect Higgins to improve in this area too (26.10 this year), whilst Griffen back from injury and playing up the ground a bit more would probably start becoming a goal kicking midfielder too. Hahn's 'proper' return to full fitness helps also.

Mantis
12-11-2007, 09:14 AM
And if you have a look at our midfield/backline in 2007, you'll see we were slaughtered most weeks. A player of Murphy's class would help enormously in the midfield or even at times down back. Eagleton is shut out of games too often and isn't good defensively, Ray's footskills are average & Cross/Boyd/West are the same type. Throwing Murphy into the mix gives us something completely different. It's at least worth a try IMO. With McMahon gone too, it creates a bit of a running hole in the back half. Murphy would be able fill this up but cosniderably do a much better job..

Our backline was slaughtered because our forwards and midfielders don't man up and give the opposition to much time and space.

McMahon will be replaced by a hard running player like Griffen or a defensive type in Callan or Addison.

Eagleton is too inconsistent agree there. Ray will become a very good player for us, be patient.

No agruments about West, Cross, Boyd needing different types to help them out... Cooney is the key.

Hahn I would argue is absolutely critical to the forward line/midfield. Murphy on the other hand is a player I'd look at switching around at different points in time. He can play anywhere - forward, midfield and back - his creativity and intelligence around the football would be benefitical. I personally believe we have much better 'finishers' in our side, hence my point of moving Murphy up the ground at certain times.

Out of curiousity, what was Murph's best season goal wise? If it's 40+ then you're right, it's probably of more use keeping him there.

Murphy plays the lead up role much like a Hansen from the Eagles, he is the link between our defence and attack. He knows when and where to lead, but unlike Hansen he can hurt you inside 50, he knows when to double back, he is a bloody tough match up.

He will spend times in different positions, but if we have a fully fit and firing team he plays across half forward for me. Only really out of neccessity did he play up back in 07. I can remember he played well against St.Kilda late in the season, but he had too. We had Griffen and Gilbee out injured and McMahon low in form. We really had no-one else to play as a small defender.

Go_Dogs
12-11-2007, 09:54 AM
When Murph is playing well up forward, he's very important. He needs to kick more goals though. Early 2006 he was kicking a lot of goals as well as providing an excellent option as the go to man going forward.

Murph has such good skills and decision making, that playing him through the backline or just behind the ball allows him to get more touches. But given our lack of other genuine options up forward, I think that is where he gives his best value.

Sockeye Salmon
12-11-2007, 10:20 AM
He's good but I don't think he's crucial to our forward line setup. If a Tiller can develop, he could play a 'watered down' role of Murphys. Not saying Murphy should be excluded from the forward line alltogether, but I'd like to see his creative play up the ground a bit at times too.

Anyone who thinks Tiller is going to be able to play as a lead-up CHF in the next two years are kidding themselves.

The kids got miles to go and if we weren't in such desperate need of a forward he would still be learning what he's doing in the VFL.

GVGjr
12-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Anyone who thinks Tiller is going to be able to play as a lead-up CHF in the next two years are kidding themselves.

The kids got miles to go and if we weren't in such desperate need of a forward he would still be learning what he's doing in the VFL.

I watched a lot on VFL games this year and Tiller wasn't that impressive. His promotion was after one decent game and one good game so yes I agree that it was more out of desperation than form. IMO, he needs a lot more time in the VFL.

Bulldog Revolution
12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
He will spend times in different positions, but if we have a fully fit and firing team he plays across half forward for me. Only really out of neccessity did he play up back in 07. I can remember he played well against St.Kilda late in the season, but he had too. We had Griffen and Gilbee out injured and McMahon low in form. We really had no-one else to play as a small defender.

I think a lot of it comes down to Murphys form. If he is fit and in form, he will most likely play forward, if he isn't then he needs spells down back. After Eade played him back against St Kilda, and he played so well, part of me wondered why we hadn't tried it earlier to spark him back into form. Murphy is a guy we need to be a prime mover so we cant just leave him in a forward pocket if he is struggling.

I think all the talk of Griffen to the midfield is premature and I would be inclined to settle him on a half back flank for 2-3 years whilst playing spells on the ball.

LostDoggy
12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I stand corrected 'accuracy' wise.

94 goals 61 behinds for Murph's career.

Interesting, I could of sworn it'd be the other way around.

Murph's best season was 2005 with 33 goals.

I don't rate Murphy's set shots that highly either and I'm surprised at this ratio. He simply misses too many gettable shots for someone so skilled.

BulldogBelle
12-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I think a lot of it comes down to Murphys form. If he is fit and in form, he will most likely play forward, if he isn't then he needs spells down back. After Eade played him back against St Kilda, and he played so well, part of me wondered why we hadn't tried it earlier to spark him back into form. Murphy is a guy we.

Yes, I agree BR, once Eade placed him down back he picked up his spark quick smart and I also was wondering why he wasn't slotted down back a little earlier. He will be better this season and more confident, as they say it takes a year after the reco to get back and play consistant football. When he is firing he is awesome to watch.

Dry Rot
17-11-2007, 03:22 PM

I watched a lot on VFL games this year and Tiller wasn't that impressive. His promotion was after one decent game and one good game so yes I agree that it was more out of desperation than form. IMO, he needs a lot more time in the VFL.

Agreed - from what I've seen of him I can't understand why some Dogs fans talk him up so much.

Sockeye Salmon
18-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Agreed - from what I've seen of him I can't understand why some Dogs fans talk him up so much.

50 game rule

bornadog
18-11-2007, 12:32 AM
We have a problem scoring goals and keeping the scoreboard ticking over .

I agree the last seven games we had an issue with kicking goals, however, up until then we were in the top three in the highest goals kicked for season 2005, 2006 and most of 2007. The last seven games, we were bad all over. (to say the least).

Murphy played some great football in the forward line in 2006 until he got injured and was slowly capturing that form in 2007 until he had the hammies, so I think half forward line is a good possie for him.