PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season injury scares

Smads57
08-01-2015, 09:38 PM
I received a text at work this afternoon that Tom Boyd was injured at training. My first reaction was "why did this have to happen to our most exciting new recruit". I quickly checked social media and found the injury was "just" a dislocated finger and big Tom would be back training tomorrow.

It made me think about pre-season training injuries - particularly those injuries that turn out to be long term or season ending and who were the players I would least want this to happen to.

I thought I'd start a thread for fellow Woofers to identify three players whom they would least like to see sidelined for an extended period and why.

My three players and reasons below:
1. Bob Murphy - I feel this year it will be all important for our club captain to be on the field and able to get around the players during games when we struggle. He will also be expected to lead a still developing backline.

2. Libba - with the off season moves of some more experienced midfielders, the importance of our only A Grade player comes more to the fore. Although we seem to have a lot of players on our list identified as midfielders, they all have some way to go to match Libba or the departed midfielders influence in contested ball/clearance work.

3. Crameri - this final choice could have also been another couple of players, but I settled on Stewie due to the role his more mature body will need to play in protecting big Tom and Strings over another 12 months of their own development.

Interested to read other's nominations and reasons.

bulldogtragic
08-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Boyd - Media will have an ignoramus party about how stupid we are. Irony...

Libba - The only real hard ball getter of real note we have.

Roughy - He could be our full back, second tall forward and second ruck or anything in between. We need him fit.

F'scary
09-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Jarrad Grant - the preseason injury last year ruined his momentum from 2013 completely.

Clay Smith - a bad preseason (within the limits he is training at currently) due to injury would probably spell the end.

Jordan Roughead - played injured for most of last year. Has had surgery to repair his shoulder. He really needs a good preseason to make sure his shoulder is up to it for 2015.