PDA

View Full Version : Sam Darley - His chances of becoming our next Gilbee?

Go_Dogs
09-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Sam Darley was an interesting selection at the time, given we had retained both Howard and Tutt, and ended up recruiting Fuller too, but one that probably signaled the lack of faith we had in our current options.

He has taken some time, and will possibly take another year or so until he is totally ready, but on his showing in 2014, I am somewhat optimistic about his chances. There will of course be increased competition for spots this year, with the addition of Biggs, whilst Webb may be another option and JJ may again be vying for a spot in the back 6 too.

He has some areas to continue to improve on, including his defensive ability and contested ability, which if he's going to be a feature in our backline, he needs to continue to develop, but he does add some polish and sound decision making to our back half. Increasing his fitness so he can work to space and benefit from more handball receives will also improve his game, as it will allow him the time and space to execute what he does best, kicking the ball.

He is unlikely to ever be a real 70+ metre player, in that he isn't super quick, and despite having a good leg, it isn't a hugely penetrating one based on what I've seen to date. The real skill he does posses though, is the ability to kick the ball low and hard, meaning it moves to its target quickly - a great asset in the modern game.

So, what would be a good outcome for Sam this year? Are others optimistic about his chances? What does he need to demonstrate at senior level to make himself a lock for 2015 onwards?

1eyedog
09-01-2015, 11:15 AM
He's all potential really isn't he. My concern is he's showed not much else than the ability to kick the ball fast and accurately and you need more tricks to be able to have a sustained run at it. Hopefully he shows us a defensive side this season which will give us some indication of his commitment and where his fitness is. Given he is so effective by foot I presume the coaching staff will look to isolate him and give players instructions to get the ball to him or Murph when coming out of the back half.

LostDoggy
09-01-2015, 11:22 AM
I don't like his chances of making it. I don't think he has the ability/smarts of knowing when to defend and when to attack.

He looks great with ball in hand, but the problem is that only happens a dozen times a game at most. He is a bloke who really needs to average 20+ possessions.

ratsmac
09-01-2015, 12:37 PM
We may never replace Gilbee. He was a bit unique with his skill set. He had speed and was one of the best kicks that we have seen at the kennel whether it's a shot at goal from outside 50, inside 50, a 50 metre pass or a 15 metre pass. To top it off he was a really good smart defender. It was his pace that what set him apart from the rest IMO. It was when he lost that yard that he was struggling to get a game.
As for Darley being a Gilbee replacement, I don't think so. He has does have a nice kick on him as others have mentioned but I can't see him being a Gilbee type player. I think he will be a handy player for us though, but he needs to defend better first and then hurt the opposition with his disposal (ala Gilbee) the other way to make the most out of his size and skill set. I think I've just described the perfect defender.

boydogs
09-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Was Gilbee really faster than Darley? Gilbee was a much longer kick but I'm not sure that it's speed that will hold Darley back from reaching Gilbee's level

jeemak
09-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Was Gilbee really faster than Darley? Gilbee was a much longer kick but I'm not sure that it's speed that will hold Darley back from reaching Gilbee's level

Where Gilbee was quick was in his thought processing of how the game would unfold and what he needed to do to influence it. That's another reason why his disposal was so effective, apart from being an elite kick across multiple distances he was also able to understand where a target would present itself much better than others.

It also helped make him an excellent defender. When you look at it he had mild physical attributes compared to some others playing in the same area of the ground.

My main concern with Darley is similar to Jaytee's.

bornadog
09-01-2015, 03:37 PM
I don't like his chances of making it. I don't think he has the ability/smarts of knowing when to defend and when to attack.

He looks great with ball in hand, but the problem is that only happens a dozen times a game at most. He is a bloke who really needs to average 20+ possessions.

I have serious doubts also of his ability to be an AFL player let alone a Gilbee replacement. He has along way to go and hope he proves me wrong.

Greystache
09-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Along with his kicking skills, one of Gilbee's best assets was his defensive skills. In particular his ability to defend one-on-one, often against bigger opponents. I see this area as one of Darley's major weaknesses.

lemmon
09-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Along with his kicking skills, one of Gilbee's best assets was his defensive skills. In particular his ability to defend one-on-one, often against bigger opponents. I see this area as one of Darley's major weaknesses.

Fully agree, how many times did we see Gilbee playing on the resting ruckman and towel him up? If anything, Easton Wood is taking that role in the defensive 6. I like Darley but is he a defender or a wingman we're trying to mould into one? I wouldn't mind him starting on a wing during pre-season games to see if its something we can use moving forward

F'scary
09-01-2015, 05:46 PM
One word: low.

F'scary
09-01-2015, 05:49 PM
One of Darley's biggest problems is image. He has the homeliest face I have ever seen on a footy field - a cross between Richie Cunningham and John-Boy Walton. A mohawk and some tatts would be a good move for Darley.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-01-2015, 06:01 PM
He was worth the punt and he still may yet develop into a handy player, but he certainly has some confronting flaws that he needs to drastically improve if he is to make it at the top level as others have alluded to.

Whilst I agree he is more of a player for 24 months time, we should learn a lot about Darley over pre-season and in the early rounds. He doesn't need to dominate, but it's time for him to show if he can become a player we can invest in or whether he's only going to be on the list for depth purposes.

bulldogtragic
09-01-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm sitting on the fence with Darley, he has some good things and some big question marks. If his defensive side and pace is an issue perhaps he could be used up the ground in a more attacking role. I'm in a state where I'm reassessing all the players positions right now, Roughy, Grant, Darley, Stevens especially.

Maddog37
09-01-2015, 06:04 PM
One of Darley's biggest problems is image. He has the homeliest face I have ever seen on a footy field - a cross between Richie Cunningham and John-Boy Walton. A mohawk and some tatts would be a good move for Darley.

Need a like button for this. Darley needs to get as much outside ball as possible and then he will have big impact.

azabob
09-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Need a like button for this. Darley needs to get as much outside ball as possible and then he will have big impact.

There is a like button...

Remi Moses
09-01-2015, 11:47 PM
Bit early to make a call on Darley as yet, but it's been a calvacade of failure trying to replace Gilbee.

LostDoggy
10-01-2015, 09:13 PM
IMO I think RONNIE has a better skill set and more chance of being our Gilbee MK2 then Darley will ever have.
Just from the very limited footage of what I've seen of BIGGSY,he has been ultra impressive.

stefoid
10-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Gilbs had some toe - he was above average speed, if not genuinely quick, plus he was a good mover in traffic.