PDA

View Full Version : Key Position Players

Eastdog
09-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Following on from the Bulldogs lack of pace thread there was quite a lot of mention in there of key position players and our inability to acquire them. What do you believe is the reason for this. Is it that the recruiting managers have other ideas or something else.

boydogs
09-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Following on from the Bulldogs lack of pace thread there was quite a lot of mention in there of key position players and our inability to acquire them. What do you believe is the reason for this. Is it that the recruiting managers have other ideas or something else.

We just got 4 of them Eastie, more than just the draft to recruiting these days

F'scary
10-01-2015, 06:04 PM
We just got 4 of them Eastie, more than just the draft to recruiting these days

That's my take on it too. We've now got our list of talls for 2015. There are also possibilities with Stringer & Bontempelli (if he really has become too big to go all game as a mid) for CHF. Some say Z Cordy could develop into a KPB from 2016 onwards. We have to see what happens in 2015 and if none of the 4 (Talons Talia, Roberts, Hamlet & the Widow-Maker) emerge, it will be back to the drawing board. But they have to be given a go first.

boydogs
10-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Some say Z Cordy could develop into a KPB from 2016 onwards

Simon Dalrymple being one of them. I think he will be better than any KPD we could have picked at 26 onwards

Greystache
10-01-2015, 08:40 PM
Simon Dalrymple being one of them. I think he will be better than any KPD we could have picked at 26 onwards

Got the Tattslotto numbers too?

If the plan is for him to give away 10cm and 15kg most weeks for the next 10 years them he has a long and hard career ahead of him.

Go_Dogs
10-01-2015, 08:53 PM
If the plan is for him to give away 10cm and 15kg most weeks for the next 10 years them he has a long and hard career ahead of him.

Agreed. Watched him a few times in the back end of the TAC Cup season, and I really struggled to project him as a key defender - my best guess is he's going to be a third tall type who plays on medium marking forwards and will need to be a creator from the back half too. Whilst he may develop the ability to pinch-hit above his weight division at times, I don't think it should be a permanent role for him.

Another interesting point, and correct me if I'm wrong, but we recruited Redpath as a forward, whilst both Roberts and Hamling have been viewed as versatile types, they are potentially still more natural forwards than defenders (in saying that, I'm certainly hopeful about both) and Roughie was certainly a ruck/forward rather than a key defender. Talia, and now Cordy are really the only 2 'out and out' defenders 190cm+ that we have on the list.

If 2 or more of the Talia, Roberts, Hamling trio make it, we'll be OK, but if they don't and we have to start again through the draft we will be some way behind because key defenders do take a while, the three we're talking about here being a good example. I think we may really need to be active in the trade market to secure a ready made key defender at seasons end, and probably draft another developing key forward and ruck.

boydogs
10-01-2015, 09:14 PM

4, 6, 9, 11, 17 & 21 ;)

Twodogs
10-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Zaine will be the new Lindsay Gilbee. Everyone else is.

Eastdog
10-01-2015, 09:38 PM
4, 6, 9, 11, 17 & 21 ;)

Someone will be lucky :D

boydogs
10-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Talia, and now Cordy are really the only 2 'out and out' defenders 190cm+ that we have on the list.

You're forgetting the best defender on our list, Dale Morris, and rookie Jordan Kelly.

Morris doesn't have long left but if we're going to exclude him from the conversation and focus on the blokes coming through then we need to give them time to develop. In 2015, I expect Roughead, Talia and Morris to play most weeks, and Roberts to struggle to get a game. In 2016 or 17, Morris will be gone but then Hamling, Cordy & Kelly will be pushing for selection.

All of Roughead, Hamling and Roberts played in defense last season so I think we can reasonably count them as defenders, but with Talia, Cordy, Morris & Kelly to compete with they might be more chance of playing in another position. They might even struggle to all get a spot in defense for Footscray.

We recruited Boyd, Cordy, Hamling and Kelly this season, that's a fair attempt in one season to plug the KPP holes on the list. Now lets stay the course and give them a chance to develop. 5 small-medium players on national draft night does not a KPP phobia make.

LostDoggy
10-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Redders to have a breakout year and shore up the defensive end with his sheer bruteness and out and out CONTROLLED AGGRESSION!

bulldogtragic
10-01-2015, 10:26 PM

I wish the club and others weren't talking him up a KPD. I love the kid, and have since I first watched him. Yes he's tall enough, reads the play well and has a great leap and spoil, BUT, agree 100% with the above assessment. I think his main three assets are not the things I've mentioned, but rather running ability, mobility and kicking ability. When he takes the game on, he has looked a million bucks and much rather him try to do this next level up. He's not capable of playing on gorilla types so we'd be wasting his real talent.

boydogs
10-01-2015, 10:38 PM
I wish the club and others weren't talking him up a KPD. I love the kid, and have since I first watched him. Yes he's tall enough, reads the play well and has a great leap and spoil, BUT, agree 100% with the above assessment. I think his main three assets are not the things I've mentioned, but rather running ability, mobility and kicking ability. When he takes the game on, he has looked a million bucks and much rather him try to do this next level up. He's not capable of playing on gorilla types so we'd be wasting his real talent.

He could take Jack Gunston or Chris Mayne no problems, and kill them on the rebound. Roughead, Talia & Roberts can look after the bigger blokes

bulldogtragic
10-01-2015, 11:03 PM
He could take Jack Gunston or Chris Mayne no problems, and kill them on the rebound. Roughead, Talia & Roberts can look after the bigger blokes

I see where you're coming from but Gunston in particular needs closer checking. I see Zaine as the 3rd tall, running flanker, counter attacking player. I wouldn't plan on using him solely as a KPP going into a game. He can relief for a teammate or third man up, no dramas. But if he can get to the fitness I hope for him, with his size and skills, I'd use him without too much pressure on the defence and let opponents try to spend a forward to shut him down. I quite liked his game in Bendigo this year when he was doing this, and had done for a month, and opponents could only drag him back to the square. If the Falcons had more quality defenders I don't think he would have been playing in key posts. I have big hopes for my boy, I think going down a KPP path is not best for him or us short, mid or long term.

Avoid the rush
10-01-2015, 11:57 PM

You are very negative !!! Maybe we lack a KP or 2 but doesn't a midfield of either Wood, Jong, Stringer and Minson or Bonty, Stringer, Jong and Campbell , make you excited for the future

Greystache
11-01-2015, 12:06 AM
You are very negative !!! Maybe we lack a KP or 2 but doesn't a midfield of either Wood, Jong, Stringer and Minson or Bonty, Stringer, Jong and Campbell , make you excited for the future

Well the thread is about key position players.

Anyway Wood isn't a midfielder, and if we had a better team I think he'd be on the verge of delisting, he really hasn't progressed. Jong showed some great VFL form in the finals, but he's still too raw to be considered a lock, and certainly too unknown to count him twice! Minson is a battler who's about to turn 30. Stringer looks a forward to me, but again I certainly wouldn't count him as 2 midfielders.

bulldogtragic
11-01-2015, 12:23 AM
Well the thread is about key position players.

Anyway Wood isn't a midfielder, and if we had a better team I think he'd be on the verge of delisting, he really hasn't progressed. Jong showed some great VFL form in the finals, but he's still too raw to be considered a lock, and certainly too unknown to count him twice! Minson is a battler who's about to turn 30. Stringer looks a forward to me, but again I certainly wouldn't count him as 2 midfielders.

Ha. Now you're the negative one. You're it!!! :)

jeemak
11-01-2015, 01:43 AM
Balderdash BT, you're still it (and you always will be :) )!

Has anyone considered Zaine might have 2-4 cm of growth still left in him? He wouldn't be the first draftee to give a little bit of growing as a 19-20 y.o. and considering his brother's height, it's not out of the question.

Even with that, he'll never be a KPF in the purest sense. It would just make him capable of being a better third man up and a better second to third defender. Who, if any of Hamling, Fletcher and Talia make it will be very handy.

Twodogs
11-01-2015, 01:54 AM
I see where you're coming from but Gunston in particular needs closer checking. I see Zaine as the 3rd tall, running flanker, counter attacking player. I wouldn't plan on using him solely as a KPP going into a game. He can relief for a teammate or third man up, no dramas. But if he can get to the fitness I hope for him, with his size and skills, I'd use him without too much pressure on the defence and let opponents try to spend a forward to shut him down. I quite liked his game in Bendigo this year when he was doing this, and had done for a month, and opponents could only drag him back to the square. If the Falcons had more quality defenders I don't think he would have been playing in key posts. I have big hopes for my boy, I think going down a KPP path is not best for him or us short, mid or long term.

Also sprach the Dear Leader of the InZaine in the Brain official Bandwagon.

F'scary
11-01-2015, 04:50 PM
4, 6, 9, 11, 17 & 21 ;)

Love those numbers.

F'scary
11-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Redders to have a breakout year and shore up the defensive end with his sheer bruteness and out and out CONTROLLED AGGRESSION!

They don't call him "the Widow-Maker" for nothing.