PDA

View Full Version : What should the cheer squad do differently

firstdogonthemoon
24-01-2007, 09:35 PM
No seriously - the on field stuff is all well and good. But in the stands we dont seem to have developed any particular advantage.

Interstate teams playing at home have huge help. The Essenpie Collingbombs seem to have willing armies of zombie helpers.

We are just a bit luke warm - like some of the "smaller" vic teams.

What should the cheer squad do differently to engage everyone else? they seem a bit limp most of the time

remember a fish rots from the head

Dry Rot
24-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Perhaps should the question be asked in reverse?

ie what should the average Dogs fan be doing in the crowd to bolster the efforts of the cheer squad and bring the house down?

bresker
24-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm very loud and vocal, I can lead the chants up on level 3.

If anyone wants to join me I sit at aisle 40...something, I forget. I'll let you know when the season starts.

I've tried getting alternatives going to "Bulldogs...clap clap clap.....Bulldogs." I grew up watching soccer in Europe and I've attempted stuff like "GRANT_EEEEEY" on the great man's 330th, but it's alien to most folks, I suppose, because not many join in.

I've no real interest in joining the cheersquad but I like chanting. And shouting.

bornadog
24-01-2007, 10:55 PM
What about if the cheer squad adapted something like what the Barmie Armie did during the cricket? They were fantastic. They are very organized and they have a number of songs that try to intimidate the opposition players. They hand out the words so every one can sing. They also have their anthem which we already have ie the club song, but we could have one for during the game.

The Coon Dog
24-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Obviously our game is VERY different to soccer. I've been to many of the Melbourne Victory games & the atmosphere generated is unbelievable. Part of this could be that Australian Rules is so much quicker & perhaps doesn't need the crowd to generate the atmosphere to the same degree.

Perhaps some simple little songs about our players, tho they need to be clever, short & catchy, for example if Brad Johnson kicked a goal the cheer squad could sing:

Brad,
Braddy Johnson,
Ooooh, aaaaah,
I wanna know,
How did you score that goal?

(The above is from a song my 8 y.o. son goes around singing all the time, not too sure who sings it, but it's very catchy).

Or as the Barmy Army sing for Freddie Flintoff:

Soooo-per
Super Brad
Super Braddy Johnson!

Be good if they had a dozen or so little songs that could be put up on a website where fans could listen to them & learn them.

Just a thought.

LostDoggy
25-01-2007, 07:31 AM
FWIW, I think the AFL should shut the Cheer Squads down. While they are terrific and loyal supporters who travel all around to watch their club I just don't see that running through the banners adds too much to the spectacle of a game. Let them have an area to sit behind the goals and support the players but don't have them on the ground.

GVGjr
25-01-2007, 08:19 AM
FWIW, I think the AFL should shut the Cheer Squads down. While they are terrific and loyal supporters who travel all around to watch their club I just don't see that running through the banners adds too much to the spectacle of a game. Let them have an area to sit behind the goals and support the players but don't have them on the ground.

A bit tough there BB. One of the great traditions from the good old days.

Twodogs
25-01-2007, 08:34 AM

I'm not a cheer squad fan but I really like the banners. Thery add something unique to our game0.

LostDoggy
25-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm not a cheer squad fan but I really like the banners. Thery add something unique to our game0.

To me it is just a waste. I think I would prefer the National Anthem to be played than having to watch the Cheer Squad struggle to get the banner up. While we are at it, I'm not a fan of having the players bring their children onto the ground for milestone games either.

Perhaps I'm just having a bad day.

aker39
25-01-2007, 11:42 AM
To me it is just a waste. I think I would prefer the National Anthem to be played than having to watch the Cheer Squad struggle to get the banner up. While we are at it, I'm not a fan of having the players bring their children onto the ground for milestone games either.

you're just having a bad day

Twodogs
25-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Like I say I could quite happily do without the cheer squad so long as someone else takes the responsibility for making the run throughs.

The pointlessness of spending hours making something, decorating it and carrying it vast distances with the intention of letting a bunch of grown men smash it to pieces in seconds appeals to my perverse sense of fun.

Dry Rot
25-01-2007, 12:32 PM
The pointlessness of spending hours making something, decorating it and carrying it vast distances with the intention of letting a bunch of grown men smash it to pieces in seconds appeals to my perverse sense of fun.

Are you talking about Carlton? Sometimes they last at least a quarter.

Twodogs
25-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Are you talking about Carlton? Sometimes they last at least a quarter.

Very good.

alwaysadog
25-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Without being critical of the cheer squad, it seems to need a recruitment drive. It's some years since I had anything to do with it. In those days it was full of some very nice and very earnest people. Cheer squads need extroverts and show offs and lots of supporters in their teens and early twenties.

IMHO they need to cash in on the increasing number of young people wearing our colours at games. If it were me I'd organise them to be at entrances to the ground with invites to come and sit and cheer with us.

When I lived in London, a few years ago now, in fact quite a few years ago, all right a bloody long time ago, I used to go and watch Chelsea play. The crowd had a brief song to greet each player. Often it was just the players name sung several times to a popular tune. We could coordinate it with the scoreboard guy so that everyone knew about it.

The cheer squad should get that going, the whole crown at least the Bulldog supporters would join in. It just needs someone to get it started.

LostDoggy
25-01-2007, 08:30 PM
I really do not see the value in the Cheer squad being allowed onto the ground. It was a great idea at the time but it is now very much an outdated part of the game.

alwaysadog
25-01-2007, 10:11 PM
I like it when it's a special occasion, when there is a presentation, but not every week. It loses it's impact and it's got so far from its origins.

It has a ritual element to it now, it's done because it once had a meaning and a context but we keep doing it although we aren't sure why. I think it's more to do with cheer squad rivalry than anything much else.

When I was first watching the game the cheer squad or its equivalent would place a crepe barrier in the club's colours across the exit of the Player's race, so that they burst through it to emerge on the ground. It was only done for big games. There was a great sense of theatre and anticipation created.

Seeing the guys run through something when you already have seen them enter the arena is a bit pointless. Whats more they get bigger every year and being inside at the phone dome doesn't even have the wind to discipline outrageousness.

Hard Ball Get
25-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Obviously our game is VERY different to soccer. I've been to many of the Melbourne Victory games & the atmosphere generated is unbelievable. Part of this could be that Australian Rules is so much quicker & perhaps doesn't need the crowd to generate the atmosphere to the same degree.

Perhaps some simple little songs about our players, tho they need to be clever, short & catchy, for example if Brad Johnson kicked a goal the cheer squad could sing:

Brad,
Braddy Johnson,
Ooooh, aaaaah,
I wanna know,
How did you score that goal?

(The above is from a song my 8 y.o. son goes around singing all the time, not too sure who sings it, but it's very catchy).

Or as the Barmy Army sing for Freddie Flintoff:

Soooo-per
Super Brad
Super Braddy Johnson!

Be good if they had a dozen or so little songs that could be put up on a website where fans could listen to them & learn them.

Just a thought.

I like this idea.
I think something like the Premier League how the fans have songs that they sing about players would be really good.
Just a shhort gingle, it would catch on pretty quickly I think.

bornadog
25-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I like this idea.
I think something like the Premier League how the fans have songs that they sing about players would be really good.
Just a shhort gingle, it would catch on pretty quickly I think.

How does one get this going? Should some one contact the cheer squad and suggest it?

The Coon Dog
25-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Ideally, there should be something on the club website inviting supporters to send in songs/ditties & then the cheer squad could pick the best ones out, put them up on the website for everyone or print them & hand them out like they do at Melbourne Victory games.

Mofra
26-01-2007, 09:18 AM
What about utilising the screen during home games? The words of any song (sung to a tune everyone knows) could be displayed on the screen a few times a quarter to start a chant.

Bulldog Army sounds pretty close to Barmy Army if chanted, so there's an easy one to start.

We could also start a "Tha Ak-A" chant to drown out that bruddy annoying "Snakata" ad they play 50 times a game at TD.

mjp
27-01-2007, 08:33 AM

Nope. You are right on the money. Theme songs as the run out. Line-up for the anthem. Bounce ball.

Kids? Well, I get why they do it, but it has gotten to the stage where it is obligatory now. I pity the next childless player who reaches the 300game milestone...whatever will he do?

As for the whole cheering thing, well, my 8year old loves it - spends more time watching Phil in his sequined jacket/hat combo so she knows when to chant 'Bulldogs, BULL-dogs...' than the actual footy. I just want to watch the game to be truthful.

LostDoggy
27-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Tradition. Very important. Lets not tear down colourful aspects of our unique game and reduce it to the sterile or replace it with soccer or cricket. We want to be different. Let's ask the cheer squad if it's a problem, and if it is, work around it, not just get rid of it.

alwaysadog
28-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Some great ideas already. It's an interesting exercise keep the ideas flowing

The Coon Dog
28-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Now that we've put some good ideas forward how do we introduce those ideas to the mafia that controls (with an iron fist) the Cheer Squad?

LostDoggy
28-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Good luck with that TCD. Part of the reason why I think Cheers Squads are an outdated feature of the game is the people I have met within this group.
They are basically an unwelcoming bunch who either dictate they way the group is run for their own advantage or simply tolerate the behavior by those chosen few.

I admire strong leadership and at times you have to get on with things but this group is not as productive as it should be and does little to encourage new folk.

firstdogonthemoon
28-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Good luck with that TCD. Part of the reason why I think Cheers Squads are an outdated feature of the game is the people I have met within this group.
They are basically an unwelcoming bunch who either dictate they way the group is run for their own advantage or simply tolerate the behavior by those chosen few.

I admire strong leadership and at times you have to get on with things but this group is not as productive as it should be and does little to encourage new folk.

So THIS is what the cheer squad should do differently. Every time I ask about the cheer squad i get a few mumbles about "politics" and "personalities" - it has clearly been placed in the too hard basket. It sounds to me like it needs an injection of new something but there is resistance and reaction.

So what do we do about it?

I have always been a sh1t stirrer - it is a great australian tradition - and I am not hearing anyone say "Geez they do a great job and blah blah" - I am hearing people either say "it sucks" or the like the idea of the cheer squad (just not our one).

I do think it needs lots of teens/twenties young persons to join, however they wont if the atmosphere is unwelcoming.

It sounds like the cheer squad needs a rocket (no pun intended) or some friendly competition.

Any suggestions?

bresker
29-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Yes, get a rival squad of cheerers and get them to sit in a certain part of the ground. Hand out flyers advertising where you are sitting outside the ground. Tell people to get there early to get a seat. You'll have to do this on level 3. If we could a part of the upper deck filled with Bulldog fans before the match starts it would discourage opposition fans from sitting there.

Hard Ball Get
29-01-2007, 03:34 PM
How does one get this going? Should some one contact the cheer squad and suggest it?

No idea to be honest.
I guess that would be the best way. They could type up the words and pass them round the squad. Once they are learnt they could sing it and it wouldnt take long for the other fans to catch on.

Or the words could be posted somewhere on the dogs website or something like that. I wouldnt know how to organise it though.

LostDoggy
29-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes, get a rival squad of cheerers and get them to sit in a certain part of the ground. Hand out flyers advertising where you are sitting outside the ground. Tell people to get there early to get a seat. You'll have to do this on level 3. If we could a part of the upper deck filled with Bulldog fans before the match starts it would discourage opposition fans from sitting there.

Thats not a bad idea. My guess is though if the current cheer squad wasn't allowed into the ground they would just be standard members.
I think what you are suggesting is more of a supporters club.

westdog54
29-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Is anyone here (or does anyone know of) a former member of the "Barkly Street Boys" that used to watch from the Heatley Terrace at Optus Oval? They were ok.

Some of the stuff they came up with wasn't exactly G rated, but I'm sure they'd be able to tone things down a little.

bornadog
06-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Bump

WBFC4FFC
06-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Is anyone here (or does anyone know of) a former member of the "Barkly Street Boys" that used to watch from the Heatley Terrace at Optus Oval? They were ok.

Some of the stuff they came up with wasn't exactly G rated, but I'm sure they'd be able to tone things down a little.

I use to stand near those guys (about 20 of them) at Optus. They were very passionate and funny. One looked like Axl Rose, the other like Peter Schmiechel. There was a guy who wore a Cubs cap (why?). A lot of them use to also go to the Monarchs games back in the day.

Twodogs
06-12-2013, 08:01 PM

I used to be one. We'd to go from end to end at Whitten Oval, then on the Heatley terrace at Optus. These days we gather once a year behind aisle 31 (to honour Kelvin Temleton) at the Essendon game in order to taunt the Essendon supporters.

1eyedog
06-12-2013, 08:04 PM
I used to be one. We'd to go from end to end at Whitten Oval, then on the Heatley terrace at Optus. These days we gather once a year behind aisle 31 (to honour Kelvin Temleton) at the Essendon game in order to taunt the Essendon supporters.

That's funny

w3design
06-12-2013, 09:36 PM

The national ##***# anthem ???? SAINTS PRESERVE US !!!!!!!

As if it is not bad enough to be tortured by that load of inane drivel which was foisted on an
unsuspecting and reluctant nation, without subjecting us to it on a weekly basis.

Heavens help us.

If we need a sing song start, let it at least be Sons of the Scray, or even Sons of the West, but for goodness sake, don't put us all to sleep before the game even starts !

jeemak
06-12-2013, 10:41 PM
The national ##***# anthem ???? SAINTS PRESERVE US !!!!!!!

As if it is not bad enough to be tortured by that load of inane drivel which was foisted on an
unsuspecting and reluctant nation, without subjecting us to it on a weekly basis.

Heavens help us.

If we need a sing song start, let it at least be Sons of the Scray, or even Sons of the West, but for goodness sake, don't put us all to sleep before the game even starts !

I don't think I'd like to start every week being girt by people as if they were bodies of water not wanting to be girt by other people as if they too were bodies of water, with everyone not enjoying themselves.

Remi Moses
06-12-2013, 11:05 PM
I use to stand near those guys (about 20 of them) at Optus. They were very passionate and funny. One looked like Axl Rose, the other like Peter Schmiechel. There was a guy who wore a Cubs cap (why?). A lot of them use to also go to the Monarchs games back in the day.

There's no way known those idiots could form a cheer squad .
They work to blue for that, and " let's go bulldogs, let's go"would be replaced with " let's go F***** mental, let's go f ***** mental nah nah nah . If cheer squads could return to throwing toilet rolls or cut up phone books they'd consider it

DOG GOD
07-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Forget the banner, just let the players run out thru an avenue of KISS like pyro :)

Ghost Dog
07-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Can we please oh please get rid of Who let the dogs out oo, o,o,o o

Just play the Ted Whitten speech full bore with some grunge guitar.

" I want a do or die effort.
Its got to be determined
Youve got to show me all the guts and dtermination youve got in your body.
Youve got to inspire me with this last quarter
youve been in front all day and youve got to stay there
are you going to sit there and ......"

BornInDroopSt'54
10-12-2013, 11:35 AM
We need a REBEL YELL!!![/B]. It must be like a battalion of Confederate soldiers in the American Civil War, like Comanches in war paint, a whirl of banshees. It has to come from the wild, like a pack of wolves howling, baying for blood, abandoned and fighting for our lives. It must be group orchestrated, wild yet organised to strike fear and awe. We know about fighting for survival and we will call on our primal spirits and fight with pickets if we have to.
We are not a hand selected committee oriented, flush with money bunch of suburban bullies type cheer squad. We are a pack of dogs with rabies, but disciplined with a sharp, ruthless edge.
It wouldn't take much to organise, apparently one form was a " high-pitched "Wa-woo-woohoo, wa-woo woohoo."". (Try it at your desk now and see how it affects the rest of the office). Do it wild and in a group it helped the underdogs, the Confederates, to take on the Union who were much greater resourced. It became legendary. It would do it for us because we have it in our hearts.

Twodogs
10-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I would have gone for the spirit of Agincourt. A victory against the odds and the band of brothers stuff.

stefoid
10-12-2013, 12:28 PM
They need to mike up the cheer squad and pipe it around the ground through the speakers that are everywhere.

The cheer squad is constantly making noise but the general crowd is pretty quiet unless we get a run on.

I think hearing the cheer squad from all parts of the ground would have a positive feedback situation going on.

It dosnt have to be intrusively loud.

soupman
10-12-2013, 12:31 PM
They need to mike up the cheer squad and pipe it around the ground through the speakers that are everywhere.

The cheer squad is constantly making noise but the general crowd is pretty quiet unless we get a run on.

I think hearing the cheer squad from all parts of the ground would have a positive feedback situation going on.

It dosnt have to be intrusively loud.

I'm sorry but that sounds horrible. One of the biggest cringe factors of the cheer squad is that it can feel manufactured. Amplifying it around the ground just makes them/us infinitely lamer.

That would be akin to the fake cheering in the West Coast theme song. It's practically the cheering equivalent of canned laughter.

always right
10-12-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry but that sounds horrible. One of the biggest cringe factors of the cheer squad is that it can feel manufactured. Amplifying it around the ground just makes them/us infinitely lamer.

That would be akin to the fake cheering in the West Coast theme song. It's practically the cheering equivalent of canned laughter.

Could not agree more. I cringe at the thought of this. It would be incredibly irritating...as irritating as when we used to blast out "Who let the dogs out" after each goal a number of years back.

Cyberdoggie
10-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Could not agree more. I cringe at the thought of this. It would be incredibly irritating...as irritating as when we used to blast out "Who let the dogs out" after each goal a number of years back.

Hehehe, yeah that was horrible. Or the doggie doggie doggie chant!

It's not really my scene but maybe some they need some guidance from the Victory or Heart cheersquads in terms of chants etc.

stefoid
10-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Its not canned, its real people responding to on-field activity in real-time.

The thing to do would be to get the volume right - too loud would be intrusive, but at the right softer level, it would be like background noise. As if everyone at the ground was sitting 80m from the cheer squad.

Would beat what we get most of the time now, which is crickets chirping

bornadog
10-12-2013, 02:32 PM

The thing to do would be to get the volume right - too loud would be intrusive, but at the right softer level, it would be like background noise. As if everyone at the ground was sitting 80m from the cheer squad.

I agree with this, great idea. Our fans have got to be the quietest in the AFL. We need to show some passion like the Richmond and Collingwood cheer squads.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I agree with this, great idea. Our fans have got to be the quietest in the AFL. We need to show some passion like the Richmond and Collingwood cheer squads.

There is nothing as cowardly as a mob and that's how I see the Collingwood and Richmond cheer squads. Just strength in numbers who know that they can yell and scream cos their mates are.
But yes reciprocally our numbers are few and our voice is not a force, not inspiring. However this initiative by Garlick could be the start of an organised voice like the balmy army to give real impact to our cheering. It has to be unique and not seem canned or manufactured but heartfelt. We have to put the pain of our existence into it, a roar of fighting in the war to win a premiership for the first time in living memory after three generations of defeat. A scream, rebel yell does that. Everyone can shout a primal scream from the guts. A unified rebel yell is a potent thing and if enough people do it on time everyone can add their yell. There is no wrong yell when its after a Bulldogs goal or after a great passage of play.

LostDoggy
10-12-2013, 06:15 PM
We have to put the pain of our existence into it, a roar of fighting in the war to win a premiership for the first time in living memory after three generations of defeat. A scream, rebel yell does that. Everyone can shout a primal scream from the guts. A unified rebel yell is a potent thing and if enough people do it on time everyone can add their yell. There is no wrong yell when its after a Bulldogs goal or after a great passage of play.

Love it. Here's my nomination for the next leader of the cheer squad:

http://historicalhistrionics.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/braveheart-crazy-face.jpg

LostDoggy
10-12-2013, 11:03 PM

http://historicalhistrionics.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/braveheart-crazy-face.jpg

But instead of FREEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM it's STRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR RR!!!!!!!!!!!

Or the WALLIS!! WALLIS!! WALLIS!! WALLIS!! chant

LostDoggy
10-12-2013, 11:08 PM

I agree, would hate having it amplified around the ground. But what cheer squad does not feel manufactured. That is what they are about trying to build atmosphere and support for the team.

soupman
11-12-2013, 09:19 AM

Sorry going to have to agree to disagree. Being the club with a miked up cheersquad would be the most cringeworthy thing I would have encountered at the footy, and would rightfully make us the subject of much derision. I know it's not canned per se, but it would certainly not feel natural.

SonofScray
11-12-2013, 08:52 PM
I think the biggest gains in the idea of having a cheersquad will be around establishing the concept of the Footscray End a bit more. In a sense that you don't necessarily buy into that area of the ground through a type of membership package, but because you have a particular mindset.

Passionate Doggies fans who have flags and banners and want to rant and rave should be encouraged to occupy the space and over time and with the support of social media and forums and away trips, a real community grows organically.

It is a hard sell in Australia but, IMO, the best results would be achieved by letting go of things a bit, handing over control and some freedom of expression to the fans. Get rid of the advertising, the cliche "family friendly" comments and support the fans to creatively express their support for the Club.

There is a bit to be said for empowering fans to own their experience when they show up. I liked Ljubo Milicevic's quote in support of the active supporter scene in the A League: “Forget the sponsors. They can have their half-time ad breaks, their advertising hoardings, but leave the ends to the fans.” I think that idea is completely foreign to most AFL fans. Then there is this quote from David Boyle's "authenticity," -“According to Brian Eno, carnival is the key to real culture. When spectators become part of the proceedings themselves, then the event takes on an authenticity it didn’t previously have. Carnival is good when it leaves the people with the feeling that life in all its bizarre manifestations is unbeatably lovely and touching and funny and worthwhile.”

The amount of strife I have with security over hanging my banners up, in an area where no advertising hoardings are up at all, for wearing my luchador mask as a joke for photos with other fans etc is appalling. Any Club that can facilitate a safe space for fans to express themselves and the passion for their Club, with their peers without putting security contracts and advertising dollars first will get the sort of atmosphere and culture that actually want.

Ghost Dog
11-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Have to agree and fantastic post there. It's become ridiculous. Guarantee any poke at Hird and his gang in banner format this season will be jumped on hard. What kind of society do we want?

BornInDroopSt'54
12-12-2013, 10:00 AM

That's the one. The maoris did it with a dance. The fighting spirit. Let's face it, Etihad is really the Colosseum/the bullring/the boxing ring.

Murphy'sLore
12-12-2013, 10:41 AM
It's no coincidence that the two most spine-tingling crowd moments of last season -- the "Bulldogs" slow chant and the Crossy farewell -- were spontaneous eruptions of fan feeling.

LostDoggy
12-12-2013, 02:09 PM
It's no coincidence that the two most spine-tingling crowd moments of last season -- the "Bulldogs" slow chant and the Crossy farewell -- were spontaneous eruptions of fan feeling.

I couldn't care less if the cheer squad comes across as spontaneous or premeditated, what concerns me more are the crickets chirping when we're any more than 2 goals down.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Warriors with a rebel yell.
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t563/gavanc2005/d986cf91-bace-4514-ad96-144f196338aa_zps5ae9289a.jpg
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t563/gavanc2005/12_zps1b9eb192.jpg
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t563/gavanc2005/3_zps148e53b4.jpg
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t563/gavanc2005/8_zps262b718c.jpg

DragzLS1
13-12-2013, 02:32 PM
I can not stand the cheer squad cheers it is def cringe worthy!

Lets get some good singing and chanting going on. If you have ever been to a random A League game you will know what its like, and thats just the A league with 1/4 of the crowd. We need to get some better chants so eerybody can join in. Bulldogs * clap clap clap* is not really good enough...

I have a few ideas and would be happy to share with the cheer squad.. It would set us apart until they all catch on as I notice a lot of the other clubs just follow suit and have the same generic chants

DOG GOD
14-12-2013, 10:47 AM

This is what I think we need. We need a face, a character that represents the cheersquad. Pies have Joffa (I know I know) but he is instantly recognisable to pies fans and other clubs alike. The cats have that person decked out in the blue and white cat face paint and sparkly outfit.

We need a figure that doggies supporters can identify with. Something that makes the young kids go WOW and the other clubs comment on (in a good way). We need to somehow bring the cheersquad in 2014 and beyond. Not something old and stale.

DOG GOD
14-12-2013, 10:49 AM
I can not stand the cheer squad cheers it is def cringe worthy!

Lets get some good singing and chanting going on. If you have ever been to a random A League game you will know what its like, and thats just the A league with 1/4 of the crowd. We need to get some better chants so eerybody can join in. Bulldogs * clap clap clap* is not really good enough...

I have a few ideas and would be happy to share with the cheer squad.. It would set us apart until they all catch on as I notice a lot of the other clubs just follow suit and have the same generic chants

Sounds good. This is our chance to revolutionise what cheerssquads are and what they represent. Thinking outside the box needs to happen. We HAVE to be different and we have to have ideas that other clubs will want to follow.

Bulldog4life
14-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Sounds good. This is our chance to revolutionise what cheerssquads are and what they represent. Thinking outside the box needs to happen. We HAVE to be different and we have to have ideas that other clubs will want to follow.

Take a leaf out of KISS and have all the cheer squad with face paint on. That would be different.

bulldogtragic
14-12-2013, 11:05 AM
What about towels?

bornadog
14-12-2013, 11:58 AM
What about towels?

Very funny

DOG GOD
14-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Take a leaf out of KISS and have all the cheer squad with face paint on. That would be different.

I LIKE your thinking!!! Heard of the KISS ARMY??? Make it the BULLDOG ARMY!!!

bulldogtragic
14-12-2013, 02:51 PM
10 home games in Melb... We give 100 free tickets a game, plus flags, hats etc to the Sri Lankan ODI followers.

They change their colours to ours for the games, they bring trumpets, drums and excitement!!!

I'd give it a try, I love the energy and fun at Sri Lanka vs a Aussie games. Is that outside the square enough??

boydogs
14-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Is that outside the square enough??

You forgot Lasith Malinga at Full Forward

bulldogtragic
14-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Just tell Mitch to to die his flop like Malinga and we can sell the wigs too.

DOG GOD
14-12-2013, 03:26 PM
10 home games in Melb... We give 100 free tickets a game, plus flags, hats etc to the Sri Lankan ODI followers.

They change their colours to ours for the games, they bring trumpets, drums and excitement!!!

I'd give it a try, I love the energy and fun at Sri Lanka vs a Aussie games. Is that outside the square enough??

I like your thinking. We have to get the cheersquad to be a factor at our games. It's gotta become a place where young kids wanna sit and be part of it. Something exciting. Something unique. Something that represents the club. Not exactly sure what, but it's gotta become something that triggers a chain reaction that will only allow it to become stronger in its vision and delivery as each year passes.

How do we do that? That's the question.

LostDoggy
14-12-2013, 04:09 PM
It's not just at-the-game stuff that needs to improve. A few years back I called Gary and spoke to him about the cheer squad member database, how it's kept, what they do in terms of marketing, etc. as a big part of my job is email marketing, I proffered the idea of getting some regular, professional-looking email newsletters out to CS members to try and encourage participation, not just on game day but banner prep, sausage sizzles, etc. I offered my services completely free, and I also offered the database software completely free as well after swinging it past my manager (I work in a software company).

World-class customer software with professional marketing. Free. Wasn't interested in the slightest, straight into the too-hard basket.

I think this cheer squad leadership change needs to look more at the day to day management and growth of the squad rather than just what chants/gimmicks to employ at the game.

bulldogtragic
14-12-2013, 04:12 PM
It's not just at-the-game stuff that needs to improve. A few years back I called Gary and spoke to him about the cheer squad member database, how it's kept, what they do in terms of marketing, etc. as a big part of my job is email marketing, I proffered the idea of getting some regular, professional-looking email newsletters out to CS members to try and encourage participation, not just on game day but banner prep, sausage sizzles, etc. I offered my services completely free, and I also offered the database software completely free as well after swinging it past my manager (I work in a software company).

World-class customer software with professional marketing. Free. Wasn't interested in the slightest, straight into the too-hard basket.

I think this cheer squad leadership change needs to look more at the day to day management and growth of the squad rather than just what chants/gimmicks to employ at the game.
That sums it up, 1985 cheer squad thinking in 2013-14.

We've moved home ground twice, coaches, presidents etc, time for the cheer squad too.

Greystache
14-12-2013, 04:23 PM

When you're primary motivation in doing a job is to ensure the status quo is maintained, so as to ensure your little power base is protected, everything will be put into the too hard basket. It's one of the many reasons change was needed.

bornadog
14-12-2013, 05:40 PM

You should send an email to Garlick if your offer still stands.

Dancin' Douggy
15-12-2013, 11:27 AM

To me, this stuff is much more important than trying to fabricate game day 'chants' songs or whatever.

Build the cheer squad from the ground up. Make it a welcoming, nurturing, organised environment. Seems to me it was run by bullies, pretty much who, just loved their tiny piece of power. If there's a leader, they need to be professionally skilled in certain areas, and delegate the areas they're not good at to other people like yourself Borna.

It really should be someone who has a background in youth leadership. A teacher perhaps, or someone who knows how to focus group energy, deal with a range of personality types and ages. It's gotta be a place where you know if you dropped your kids off they'd be looked after well. Not only at the game but at banner making nights etc.

The guys who were booted out should be invited back as members, and then dealt with if they continue to act like little Napoleons.

Build the cheer squad organically and THEN start considering chants etc if you want.

For me personally as a supporter, I despise anything that's been pre planned or rehearsed.

But if the cheer squad is a vibrant creative environment, who knows what might come out of it organically........ I mean the 'COOOOOONNNNN' just happened. Didn't it?

BornInDroopSt'54
15-12-2013, 11:31 AM
This is what I think we need. We need a face, a character that represents the cheersquad. Pies have Joffa (I know I know) but he is instantly recognisable to pies fans and other clubs alike. The cats have that person decked out in the blue and white cat face paint and sparkly outfit.

We need a figure that doggies supporters can identify with. Something that makes the young kids go WOW and the other clubs comment on (in a good way). We need to somehow bring the cheersquad in 2014 and beyond. Not something old and stale.

What about Da Druid? He was the unofficial jester of the club for a while and as this forum know is an articlulate and creative director of club spirit. Perhaps he can be inspired by an official role. I am unclear of the nature of the incident that lead to his sabbatical but the time is ripe for him to consider his resurrection.

KT31
15-12-2013, 12:12 PM
What about Da Druid? He was the unofficial jester of the club for a while and as this forum know is an articlulate and creative director of club spirit. Perhaps he can be inspired by an official role. I am unclear of the nature of the incident that lead to his sabbatical but the time is ripe for him to consider his resurrection.

Meant to be as tactful and sensitive as I can be, but Da Druid would be the last person the club would or should enlist for the cheer squad.
Hopefully himself and the his family are all well and things are on the up.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks KT.

Twodogs
15-12-2013, 12:59 PM

Murali would be better, he's a bulldog supporter. I've seen him in the rooms before a game. He'd probably get pinged for throwing the ball though.

KT31
16-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Murali would be better, he's a bulldog supporter. I've seen him in the rooms before a game. He'd probably get pinged for throwing the ball though.

Made me laugh.:)

Eastdog
03-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Cheer Squad hits record numbers
March 3, 2014 9:25 AM

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-03-03/cheer-squad-hits-record-numbers

For the first time in Club history, the Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad has reached capacity - boasting 500 committed members who have pledged their support to the red, white and blue.

The total sees the Bulldogs Cheer Squad begin to rival the biggest in the league and indicates the Club will have a vocal and dedicated presence behind goals at all games in 2014.

Following the Club’s trip to Perth in round one, the first opportunity for the new-look Cheer Squad to rally together in front of a home crowd is the Bulldogs round two clash against North Melbourne.

The Club is looking forward to having its biggest ever Cheer Squad presence at Etihad Stadium for the clash against the Kangaroos, as part of the Bulldogs’ mission to #gatherthepack.

A number of new and exciting initiatives for the Cheer Squad will also be announced throughout the year, as the Bulldogs aim to build one of the loudest and proudest supporter groups in the league.

The Bulldogs Cheer Squad is a family friendly environment, where passionate members can come together to cheer and encourage the Club and players in a respectful and supportive manner.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Cheer Squad hits record numbers
March 3, 2014 9:25 AM

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-03-03/cheer-squad-hits-record-numbers

For the first time in Club history, the Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad has reached capacity - boasting 500 committed members who have pledged their support to the red, white and blue.

The total sees the Bulldogs Cheer Squad begin to rival the biggest in the league and indicates the Club will have a vocal and dedicated presence behind goals at all games in 2014.

Following the Club’s trip to Perth in round one, the first opportunity for the new-look Cheer Squad to rally together in front of a home crowd is the Bulldogs round two clash against North Melbourne.

The Club is looking forward to having its biggest ever Cheer Squad presence at Etihad Stadium for the clash against the Kangaroos, as part of the Bulldogs’ mission to #gatherthepack.

A number of new and exciting initiatives for the Cheer Squad will also be announced throughout the year, as the Bulldogs aim to build one of the loudest and proudest supporter groups in the league.

The Bulldogs Cheer Squad is a family friendly environment, where passionate members can come together to cheer and encourage the Club and players in a respectful and supportive manner.

Bloody FN Brilliant. May kids for generations have a great experience and continue to love and follow our club.

Eastdog
03-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Bloody FN Brilliant. May kids for generations have a great experience and continue to love and follow our club.

It's a great news. Im just a regular Bulldogs member but hopefully this new cheer squad can engage the people outside the cheer squad more and really create an atmosphere because at times going to the footy last year it got very quiet. Out of interest what member are you BT I'm a silver reserved member and it will be my last year on concession as I'm finishing Uni soon.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
It's a great news. Im just a regular Bulldogs member but hopefully this new cheer squad can engage the people outside the cheer squad more and really create an atmosphere because at times going to the footy last year it got very quiet. Out of interest what member are you BT I'm a silver reserved member and it will be my last year on concession as I'm finishing Uni soon.

I was a cheer squad member in 1995 I think. From then just standard, I'm not getting to games ATM, so I like the VFL and bulldog backyard packages. When is graduation ED? I remember my masters grad thinking don't stuff up, don't stuff up. Then I get up there, and stuff it up. It's good clean fun.

Greystache
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
When is graduation ED? I remember my masters grad thinking don't stuff up, don't stuff up. Then I get up there, and stuff it up. It's good clean fun.

You should've gone to RMIT BT, the least personalised graduation experience in the history of higher education.

Sorry, I'll stop derailing.

Looks like the club's decision to cut the cancer out is already paying off. Our retention numbers next year will paint the full picture.

Eastdog
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
I was a cheer squad member in 1995 I think. From then just standard, I'm not getting to games ATM, so I like the VFL and bulldog backyard packages. When is graduation ED? I remember my masters grad thinking don't stuff up, don't stuff up. Then I get up there, and stuff it up. It's good clean fun.

Going to be notified via mail/email probably at the end of Trimester 2. I'm at Deakin Burwood campus and I believe the graduations for Deakin are held down at the Geelong campus. What Uni were you at BT?

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Going to be notified via mail/email probably at the end of Trimester 2. I'm at Deakin Burwood campus and I believe the graduations for Deakin are held down at the Geelong campus. What Uni were you at BT?

Congrats ED.

Monash Uni. On and off over the years.

Eastdog
03-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Congrats ED.

Monash Uni. On and off over the years.

Thanks I'm looking forward to it.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 04:10 PM
You should've gone to RMIT BT, the least personalised graduation experience in the history of higher education.

Sorry, I'll stop derailing.

Looks like the club's decision to cut the cancer out is already paying off. Our retention numbers next year will paint the full picture.

I'm sensing an open sore still. I remember having to chase one of my PG Quals through the bloody admin/mail system... The only reason the Masters was decent was the charge they made me pay to cover it. :(

I digress too, this news today makes me genuinely very, very happy.

ledge
03-03-2014, 04:34 PM
They were all free but should become a great outcome in the future.
The last statement is very interesting

bornadog
03-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I just hope those that joined show up every week.

Ghost Dog
03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Great work club. Also, I like the part 'respectful'.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 04:53 PM
I just hope those that joined show up every week.

I wish I had said this. I couldn't agree any more.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Well, it's first home game. I'm hoping to see a massive presence behind the goals this week.

Eastdog
27-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Well, it's first home game. I'm hoping to see a massive presence behind the goals this week.

Yeah I hope so too and more passionate. Be I interesting to see if they have some new chants.

HOSE B ROMERO
28-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Peter Gordon on his regular 774 spot this morning said that there is going to be something VERY special unveiled with the cheer squad this Sunday but he could not elaborate.

Mantis
29-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Peter Gordon on his regular 774 spot this morning said that there is going to be something VERY special unveiled with the cheer squad this Sunday but he could not elaborate.

Cheerleaders?

Throughandthrough
29-03-2014, 09:20 AM

Bringing back the "Peter Rohde - our Mastermind" signs?

ratsmac
29-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Bringing back the "Peter Rohde - our Mastermind" signs?

I used to cringe when I saw that sign. A mate of mine still brings it up now and then for a piss take. Luckily for me he supports Melbourne.

bornadog
29-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Cheerleaders?
We had Charlie's angels in the early 80s. (Named after Sutton) maybe Peter has come up with something like that.

bornadog
01-04-2014, 02:53 PM
I thought the Cheersquad looked impressive for the first game. It was a big squad, probbaly the biggest I have seen and they had the floggers and flags out as well. Some more chanting wouldn't go astray.

bulldogtragic
01-04-2014, 03:30 PM
I thought the Cheersquad looked impressive for the first game. It was a big squad, probbaly the biggest I have seen and they had the floggers and flags out as well. Some more chanting wouldn't go astray.

I sent a well done to the membership manager. I thought that was an excellent response and now the challenge is to keep them coming I thought it looked great. More goals might have helped, but that's life.

always right
01-04-2014, 03:40 PM

So what was the "very special" initiative? The only thing I noticed other than the sheer size of the cheer squad was the big bloke standing in front of the banner waving the enormous bulldogs flag (I thouhgt that was a nice touch and should become the norm)and all the arrows in the cheersquad pointing in different directions when North shot for goal (amusing).

lemmon
01-04-2014, 11:21 PM
So what was the "very special" initiative? The only thing I noticed other than the sheer size of the cheer squad was the big bloke standing in front of the banner waving the enormous bulldogs flag (I thouhgt that was a nice touch and should become the norm)and all the arrows in the cheersquad pointing in different directions when North shot for goal (amusing).
I didn't notice anything either.

Just repeating what a few others have said but I was also impressed by the Cheer Squad, couldn't tell whether it was just because I was sitting above them or because they were genuinely loud but the numbers in there looked great

Murphy'sLore
02-04-2014, 11:05 AM
I couldn't really see them from where I was sitting (level 3) but it's good to hear that they looked good (certainly sounded pretty good, though they didn't have a lot to cheer about).

ledge
02-04-2014, 06:56 PM
I am in the cheer squad and maybe it was the free caps and blow up hands that were given out or maybe it was the fact it was so big, on that note I was in the right pocket halfway up and it was impressive and had a family atmosphere.

ledge
02-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Oh and one thing that didn't escape me is why don't the team warm up at the cheersquad end?
That would be nice to see the team get a bit of a boost while tuning up in the run up.

josie
02-04-2014, 08:19 PM
I joined the cheersquad this year & thought Sunday they/we did pretty well. The colour was great, and nice to see quite a few families in squad too. Hopefully the number of cheer squad members sitting in "wings" (the aisles to left & right of central aisle with banner holders) will grow, as there were still quite a few vacant seats the club had reserved that were not used in these "wings" and those that were seated (if they were cheer squad members) were a bit quiet.

Agree with ledge - warm up should be cheer squad end. Also (hard as it will be) the squad needs to cheer when we are not doing so well to (hopefully) help gee up the side and also let the players know we are with them through thick & thin.

Regarding newsletters, they are now sending out emails and I think David Cameron is doing a great job co-ord. squad.

Here is excerpt from his first/recent newsletter:

The Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad is now active on both Facebook and Twitter: @WBCheerSquad. Please make sure you follow for all the latest Cheer Squad updates relating to upcoming matches/events, interstate ticketing and away seating locations.

You can also see plenty of photos and contribute any ideas that you might have for the bay. Please also encourage your friends to follow!

I look forward to seeing you all at Etihad Stadium this Saturday.

Go Dogs!

David Cameron
Group Relationships Coordinator

bornadog
24-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Last Friday I was given two tickets to the Medallion Club to watch Victory play. I took up the offer as I have never been to an A-league game. I am not a passionate fan of the round ball but do enjoy the game at the highest levels. Anyway, our seats were behind the goals where the Victory cheer squad (if that is what you call them) where and I observed a number of things that I thought could be adopted by our Cheer squad.

Some things we can learn:

* They are very well organised with at least one megaphone used to get the chants going
* They had set songs and chants and a very good variety
* They are extremely passionate.

I don't think AFL games could have the same sort of chanting throughout the game, but certainly after goals or when the game is a bit of a stalemate and not much is happening. Certainly just before the game or in a close match to gee up the players and of course when we are in a winning position with 5 minutes to go.

Our old chants are very lame, bulldogs clap clap clap, bulldogs, clap clap clap, or doggie doggie doggie.

I think its time to take the cheer squad to the next level. This year we saw the revamp of the whole squad and there was great support from many members joining, lets take it to that next level.

what ideas do you have, given we have discussed this since 2007.

SonofScray
26-11-2014, 12:09 AM
I played a reasonably significant role in the development of the North Terrace.

The reason it is such a vibrant element of the games MVFC participate in is the fierce sense of ownership over that space and the things which occur in there, backed up by genuine camaraderie and collectivist ideals formed over years of drinking in pubs, travelling to away games, always having an "enemy" to galvanise our sense of togetherness and an unshakeable belief that the type of active support which takes place should be the norm.

The breeding ground for this was the terracing at Olympic Park and the absolute bedlam and anonymity it afforded. Healthy combatants to old fashioned Aussie conservatism and tall poppy syndrome. A handful of people could have a go at starting something and with persistence it'd get up in the crowd. You could also strong arm things with some numbers and a bit of argy bargy if anyone challenged the culture you were establishing.

I can't see fans of AFL club's ever reclaiming that fierce, independent collectivist culture ever again. The suburban grounds are a distant memory and the new stadiums are designed to isolate and individualise. It takes significant discipline, occasional disobedience, courage and persistence to maintain a culture of active support in any Australian sports stadium. It'd be an amazing outcome if it could happen. It doesn't have to mirror the world games' culture, but it'd be great to see something emerge.

Home made flags and banners all over the stadium would be a nice start.

FrediKanoute
26-11-2014, 12:52 AM
We need to co-opt a couple of "songs" that are easy and simple - listen at what the English Rugby Union sing at games - 2 songs Jeruselem (absolutely no idea why); and Sweet Chariot, a slave chain gang song. Nothing to do with the game, but just a chant that you get from that team.

Pick a tune everyone knows, preferably not something recent (though who let the dogs out is a good one) and put some words to it

1eyedog
26-11-2014, 01:16 AM
We need to co-opt a couple of "songs" that are easy and simple - listen at what the English Rugby Union sing at games - 2 songs Jeruselem (absolutely no idea why); and Sweet Chariot, a slave chain gang song. Nothing to do with the game, but just a chant that you get from that team.

Pick a tune everyone knows, preferably not something recent (though who let the dogs out is a good one) and put some words to it

It is a myth about Jesus travelling to England - the old country loves that stuff. I think some sporting body in England ran a pubic poll regarding a 'new' English sporting anthem a number of years ago and Jerusalem won hands down.

soupman
26-11-2014, 06:39 AM

Please no.

Some guy was very confidently trying to get that Wonderland song going in the GWS game at the end of the season.

KT31
26-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Please no.

Some guy was very confidently trying to get that Wonderland song going in the GWS game at the end of the season.

Wonderland by Natalia Kills, it is not exactly an easy song for a group chant.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayVuQLT00v0

LostDoggy
26-11-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm sure the Pet Shop Boys anthemic hit "Go West" could be adapted to suit.

KT31
26-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Dogs of War by Pink Floyd might be more fitting and is less camp.

bornadog
26-11-2014, 12:47 PM

and is less camp.

We could do the Village people's version :D

SonofScray
26-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot is terrific. It has the sort of hopeful, yet melancholy vibe "The Drought" has left us with as we wait for "The Day"

I'd go the US route and rip of the chant in the film. We Are Marshall. One person screams "WE ARE" crowd responds "FOOTSCRAY"

Eastdog
26-11-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm a silver reserve member but for those who are in the cheer squad what is required of you is just to attend as many matches as possible - I think the banner making part is an optional thing from what I've heard.

BulldogBelle
28-11-2014, 06:27 PM
I went to Chile in 1975 and saw a soccer match between Colo-Colo and Universidad Católica. Colo-Colo are perhaps a Collingwood equivalent.

There was a guy up in the second or third tier stand with a stack of big drums and he would beat out a short loud tune followed by a group of guys chanting Colo-Colo-o.

Thus we could have a small group of supporters located in a tier, away from the main cheer squad with some sort of musical instrument to bang out a tune in coordination with the main group. bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom Who let the dogs out bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom. It would be very spectacular and add to the entertainment for the crowd.

I know that a few people don't like the 'who let the dogs out' song because it really talks about ugly women, but forget those biases please.

Bulldog4life
28-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I went to Chile in 1975 and saw a soccer match between Colo-Colo and Universidad Católica. Colo-Colo are perhaps a Collingwood equivalent.

There was a guy up in the second or third tier stand with a stack of big drums and he would beat out a short loud tune followed by a group of guys chanting Colo-Colo-o.

Thus we could have a small group of supporters located in a tier, away from the main cheer squad with some sort of musical instrument to bang out a tune in coordination with the main group. bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom Who let the dogs out bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom. It would be very spectacular and add to the entertainment for the crowd.

I know that a few people don't like the 'who let the dogs out' song because it really talks about ugly women, but forget those biases please.

Not bad. Personally I don't mind 'who let the dogs out' too but I think we are in the minority.

jeemak
28-11-2014, 08:24 PM
If we start winning games our crowd experience will get better for everyone, and the cheer squad will naturally grow and become more inventive.

Drunken Bum
17-08-2015, 04:26 AM
I love that there is a lot more thought put into their signs these days, 'everything's coming up dahlhaus' and 'wham bam thank you cram' for example along with the funny banners, i always found our banners and cheersquad signs a little cringe worthy to be honest, massive improvement IMO

ledge
17-08-2015, 05:11 AM
Great one yesterday about thanking people for being members this year before we were cool.

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 11:45 AM
I love that there is a lot more thought put into their signs these days, 'everything's coming up dahlhaus' and 'wham bam thank you cram' for example along with the funny banners, i always found our banners and cheersquad signs a little cringe worthy to be honest, massive improvement IMO

Would you be referring to OUR INSPIRATION??

strebla
17-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Just to the side of the cheer squad yesterday a group of teenage girls were singing a song for Stringer but I didn't get all the words. It was to the tune of winter wonderland and went something like there's only one Jakey Stringer one Jakey String playing along kicking them strong playing in the Stringer wonderland. It went down a treat in the last quarter.

bornadog
17-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Just to the side of the cheer squad yesterday a group of teenage girls were singing a song for Stringer but I didn't get all the words. It was to the tune of winter wonderland and went something like there's only one Jakey Stringer one Jakey String playing along kicking them strong playing in the Stringer wonderland. It went down a treat in the last quarter.

Now that is what the cheer squad should be singing songs like that. We had the old doggie doggie doggiee chant going on level 2. It fizzed out because it so old hat. :)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-08-2015, 04:25 PM
They have a Honeychurch song too

bornadog
17-08-2015, 04:26 PM
They have a Honeychurch song too

They should be contacting the head of the cheer squad and get them to print out the words.

josie
17-08-2015, 07:26 PM

Cheer Squad leaders gave out lyrics a few months back to others in cheer squad - here's the ones I kept....

There's only one Jakey Stringer, one Jakey Stringer, Walking along, Singing a song, Walking in a Stringer Wonderland (to tune of "Winter Wonderland")

The Honeychurch one is to Abba's song "Honey Honey" and has similar words to chorus

All you need is Rough, All you need is Rough, All you need is Rough, Rough, Roughies all you need, Roughies all you need (to tune of Beatle's "All you need is Love")

Let's rock, Everybody let's rock, Everybody in the whole cheer squad was dancing to the Dalhaus rock, Dancing to the Dalhaus rock, Dancing to the Dalhaus rock (to tune of "Jailhouse Rock")

(Murphy chant) "Who's the leader of the team, That plays for you and all? M-U-R-P-H-Y, Murphy's on the ball"

If you've got a good chant or song give it to one of the Cheer Squad front row and you might here it sung soon(in the Grand Final !!)

Greystache
17-08-2015, 09:38 PM
I'd like to see a slightly photoshopped version of this iconic logo in the cheer squad collection

http://www.bookeasy.com.au/website/images/mildura/211473b.jpg

The Great Australian Iced Crameri

bornadog
17-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Cheer Squad leaders gave out lyrics a few months back to others in cheer squad - here's the ones I kept....

There's only one Jakey Stringer, one Jakey Stringer, Walking along, Singing a song, Walking in a Stringer Wonderland (to tune of "Winter Wonderland")

The Honeychurch one is to Abba's song "Honey Honey" and has similar words to chorus

All you need is Rough, All you need is Rough, All you need is Rough, Rough, Roughies all you need, Roughies all you need (to tune of Beatle's "All you need is Love")

Let's rock, Everybody let's rock, Everybody in the whole cheer squad was dancing to the Dalhaus rock, Dancing to the Dalhaus rock, Dancing to the Dalhaus rock (to tune of "Jailhouse Rock")

(Murphy chant) "Who's the leader of the team, That plays for you and all? M-U-R-P-H-Y, Murphy's on the ball"

If you've got a good chant or song give it to one of the Cheer Squad front row and you might here it sung soon(in the Grand Final !!)

Perhaps the whole crowd should be singing those songs