PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Get Alex Rance

bulldogtragic
09-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Alex Rance, 194cm & 90kg, full back. 100 games. Full back. Son of Footscray player Murray Rance. Out of contract after 2015 season. Rest. Free Agent from 2015 season.

Salary freed up if Morris, M. Boyd &/or Bob retire. Richmond are stretched.

Happy Days
09-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Alex Rance, 194cm & 90kg, full back. 100 games. Full back. Son of Footscray player Murray Rance. Out of contract after 2015 season. Rest. Free Agent from 2015 season.

Salary freed up if Morris, M. Boyd &/or Bob retire. Richmond are stretched.

Like it.

Rance is a stud and exactly what we need. Plus between him and Boyd we would overwhelm opposition sides with handsomeness.

Also like how in the dystopian realisation that is the current day AFL we can fix everything by throwing money at it.

GVGjr
09-01-2015, 08:55 PM
He would be a great addition. I'd be surprised if we couldn't offer him more money than Richmond can but I still doubt he will move.

bulldogtragic
09-01-2015, 10:21 PM
He would be a great addition. I'd be surprised if we couldn't offer him more money than Richmond can but I still doubt he will move.

Couldn't we put on a ex-players function around 'bring your son to dinner' and award Murray a honourary award? And just so happen to have Peter Gordon and Jason McCartney sit on either side of Alex. Fairly subtle... :)

If that doesn't work, get Tom Boyd on stage and tell young Alex 'you're either with Tom Boyd, or playing against Tom Boyd'. Easy decision.

Go_Dogs
09-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Worth a crack I say. Has become a solid player and fits our age profile and a ready made option as we mount our push up the ladder.

Remi Moses
09-01-2015, 11:38 PM
I've still got some doubts on Rance as a top liner.
Big improver granted, but he over commits at critical times and is known to shank his disposal .

1eyedog
10-01-2015, 12:47 AM
Yeah has a lot of Alex Rance moments as Dimma calls them. If we are going to go hard at somebody wouldn't we look at another young franchise club player who knows some of our boys, is preferably Victorian and in the same age profile as our guns?

bulldogtragic
10-01-2015, 01:18 AM
Yeah has a lot of Alex Rance moments as Dimma calls them. If we are going to go hard at somebody wouldn't we look at another young franchise club player who knows some of our boys, is preferably Victorian and in the same age profile as our guns?

As a restricted FA it costs us only money not draft picks, as per a trade. I'd like to see us hold a top 5 pick (and 25ish) as a rule if we end up 13-18th. Time we got some FAs paid back to us.

Happy Days
10-01-2015, 02:34 AM
As a restricted FA it costs us only money not draft picks, as per a trade. I'd like to see us hold a top 5 pick (and 25ish) as a rule if we end up 13-18th. Time we got some FAs paid back to us.

Is it really?

Harbrow I'll pay but Ward was woeful mismanagement. The rest I'm glad are gone.

"Time we got x" sucks; Boyd-style coups are where it's at.

bornadog
10-01-2015, 07:40 AM
No thanks too short

always right
10-01-2015, 09:56 AM
All this money to buy what we need instead of going to the draft.....are we turning into the Carlton of old? :rolleyes:

GVGjr
10-01-2015, 09:59 AM
No thanks too short

194cm and 96kg, I don't think he is too small for a key position defenders position

BornInDroopSt'54
10-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Get Murray to persuade him.

chef
10-01-2015, 10:52 AM
No thanks too short

Too short for what?

bornadog
10-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Too short for what?

Fullback.

Rance is already monstored against guys like Franklin and in years to come, Patton, Boyd, and other talls. We need Roughie at 200cm to develop into a top line Fullback.

chef
10-01-2015, 11:58 AM
He's the same size as Lake. I think he does well and holds his own a lot of the time, I wouldn't say he ever gets monstored.

Roughies never going to have the agility or speed to handle the Franklins/Carlisles/Camerons of the world.

bulldogtragic
10-01-2015, 12:13 PM
All this money to buy what we need instead of going to the draft.....are we turning into the Carlton of old? :rolleyes:

.... Sigh.... You can do both. That's the point of FA, you keep your draft picks and then cherry pick players with cash at no expense of draft picks. Are we meant to let everyone else use FA and do nothing ourselves?

bulldogtragic
10-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Is it really?

Harbrow I'll pay but Ward was woeful mismanagement. The rest I'm glad are gone.

"Time we got x" sucks; Boyd-style coups are where it's at.

I'm more talking about the theory of FA. That is, when a team bottoms out they lose players to FA. The theory goes as they climb up with salary cap space they attract FAs. I'm not talking about individuals, just seeing if the FA theory works the other way.

1eyedog
10-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Rance is already monstored against guys like Franklin and in years to come, Patton, Boyd, and other talls. We need Roughie at 200cm to develop into a top line Fullback.

Yeah Boyd will eat him up at 200cm. Roughie needs to get stronger but is the better option at full back.

Happy Days
10-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Height semantics! My favourite!

Rance was the best defender in the competition last year. If we could hypothetically get him surely there's no way we wouldn't?

The Underdog
10-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Yeah Boyd will eat him up at 200cm. Roughie needs to get stronger but is the better option at full back.

Given Morris is a year or two away from retirement there's definitely room for both Roughy and Rance in a backline (not to mention Zaine in a few years). On the other hand I'm not sure given the deal we've given Boyd and the room we need to leave for Bont / Stringer / Macrae et al and paying Libba like a top liner, that we can offer the kind of $$$ that will draw him away from Richmond or outbid another team. I'd take him for sure but I'm not sure it's particularly realistic.

Go_Dogs
10-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Fullback.

That's the beauty of having a few options though. Against Sydney, I say Roughead is best suited to Tippett, meaning at the moment we'd have Morris, Talia or Roberts on Franklin and Reid. Having Rance to play on one of those blokes would be a huge help.

F'scary
10-01-2015, 01:49 PM
That's the beauty of having a few options though. Against Sydney, I say Roughead is best suited to Tippett, meaning at the moment we'd have Morris, Talia or Roberts on Franklin and Reid. Having Rance to play on one of those blokes would be a huge help.

Who knows, maybe two of the Widow-Maker, Hamlet, Talia & Roberts emerge as good KPD's this year and then we don't need Rance?

The Underdog
10-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Who knows, maybe two of the Widow-Maker, Hamlet, Talia & Roberts emerge as good KPD's this year and then we don't need Rance?

Maybe they do, but Rance would be the best defender in our team if he came across.

GVGjr
10-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Maybe they do, but Rance would be the best defender in our team if he came across.

Without a doubt. While BAD refers to Rance as being too small it's countered by the fact that he has good athleticism and pace. He's a taller version of Morris. I doubt we can get him but he fits the criteria of what we should be looking for.

bornadog
10-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Without a doubt. While BAD refers to Rance as being too small it's countered by the fact that he has good athleticism and pace. He's a taller version of Morris. I doubt we can get him but he fits the criteria of what we should be looking for.

No doubt he is a good defender, but I don't see him as a fullback.

GVGjr
10-01-2015, 02:40 PM
No doubt he is a good defender, but I don't see him as a fullback.

Doesn't have to be the FB though. At CHB he would be a great addition playing FB when match-ups suit us.

1eyedog
10-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Given Morris is a year or two away from retirement there's definitely room for both Roughy and Rance in a backline (not to mention Zaine in a few years). On the other hand I'm not sure given the deal we've given Boyd and the room we need to leave for Bont / Stringer / Macrae et al and paying Libba like a top liner, that we can offer the kind of $$$ that will draw him away from Richmond or outbid another team. I'd take him for sure but I'm not sure it's particularly realistic.

I see a lot of Rance in Talia actually. Same height, will be same build and at times makes questionable decisions. We may free up some cap with M Boyd but equally may need to spread that to sate the masses. Either way we desperately need someone to help Roughie down there and it would be great if it was someone other than Morris for a change. Losing Lake and Williams over the past 3 years has put us on the back foot a fair bit and I'm hoping like hell that Talia has a break-out year. I reckon Bevo will give him every opportunity.

lemmon
10-01-2015, 03:51 PM
You don't turn down a 25 year old All Australian defender because he's 194 instead of 197 centimetres. He's an out and out gun, if Roughy ever got to his level I'd be ecstatic...and hugely surprised.

He's fast, strong, quick on the lead and has the stamina to go with most big guys in the comp, the one knock is his disposal but he would be an outstanding pickup and worthy of a large chunk of change.

BulldogBelle
10-01-2015, 04:49 PM
If we got Rance, it would be too good to be true. We'd nearly have completed the building of our team, all we'd need to do is bring in quality midfielders via the draft, fill needs as depth players request trades, and potentially another mature age ruckman. How exciting would that be!

Greystache
10-01-2015, 05:32 PM
I'd be happy to get him, as long as the contract is reasonable. He'd offer us the defensive match up for the mid-sized key forwards who are quick on the lead and good aerobically. We'd still be dependant on Roughead making the grade as a key defender, or need to draft another with the size to play on the genuine big guys, but we need a Rance type.

ratsmac
10-01-2015, 07:19 PM
We have as much chance of getting Rance as we would getting Tom Boyd, oh wait we did get Tom Boyd! Anything is possible these days.

Rance is a gun. If we were any chance at getting him to the kennel I would be beside myself. He is exactly what we need down back.

always right
11-01-2015, 12:08 AM
.... Sigh.... You can do both. That's the point of FA, you keep your draft picks and then cherry pick players with cash at no expense of draft picks. Are we meant to let everyone else use FA and do nothing ourselves?

"Sigh"?

How many sarcasm emoticons do you want me to post?

bulldogtragic
11-01-2015, 12:21 AM
"Sigh"?

How many sarcasm emoticons do you want me to post?

Sorry I'm relatively new to emoticons. Is the sarcasm thingy about the post, or poster. If I took it wrong, my bad AR.

hujsh
11-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Sorry I'm relatively new to emoticons. Is the sarcasm thingy about the post, or poster. If I took it wrong, my bad AR.

If you hover over the emoticon he used it says "roll eyes (sarcastic)"

I don't think it really conveys sarcasm though

westbulldog
11-01-2015, 01:22 PM
[
Rance is a gun. If we were any chance at getting him to the kennel I would be beside myself. He is exactly what we need down back.

Totally agree

always right
12-01-2015, 09:27 AM

No probs.:)

LostDoggy
05-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Phase one is complete BT. Looks like Rancey is putting contract talks on hold until the end of the season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/alex-rance-has-tough-decision-on-future-but-richmond-teammates-have-faith-hell-stay-at-punt-road/story-fni5f9jb-1227208700583

Rance, 25 and a first-time All-Australian last season, is out of contract at the end of this year and has delayed contract talks, which will is likely to make many at Punt Road anxious.

Troy Chaplin and Alex Rance hug after the Tigers beat Adelaide last season. Picture: Simon Cross

The West Australian is set to be the centre of intense media speculation the longer the Tigers go without gaining his signature as rival clubs — especially Fremantle in his home state — take a keen interest in his future.

Chaplin knows Rance’s contract will be a constant topic of debate in 2015 but said the Tigers would support him whatever he chose to do at the end of the year.

“It’s a tough situation that Rancey’s in,” Chaplin told SEN on Thursday morning.

“I mean, it’s going to be talked about all year ... there’s always the risk that you’re going to lose a player like that but we’ve got full faith in Alex making the right decision.

“And the more pressure that you put on them, then the more it’s going to affect their game.

“It’s got nothing to do with us. That’s Rancey’s decision — we’ll support him in whatever decision he makes.

“Hopefully it is to stay with the Tigers because he does know how important he is to us and our make-up ... but as a playing group it’s far from our mind.”

Star midfielder Dustin Martin is also out of contract at the end of 2015

bulldogtragic
05-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Excellent. Now for phase 2. The president has to put on the annual ex-players from Footscray bring your son along dinner and have Tom Boyd award Murray a gong and life membership.

It's just too easy.

Also if Alex is playing in a few weeks, perhaps we could move from end to end and encourage him to make the move West? :)

Twodogs
05-02-2015, 05:44 PM
That would mean going to Richmond games. Can some of us phone it in?

bulldogtragic
05-02-2015, 05:50 PM
That would mean going to Richmond games. Can some of us phone it in?

End to end at WO in 3 weeks. Just one game should be fine.

Twodogs
06-02-2015, 03:10 PM
End to end at WO in 3 weeks. Just one game should be fine.

Good point.

I'll see you there.

bulldogtragic
06-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Good point.

I'll see you there.

:) Done. Do we go with positive 'we'd love you to follow your dad at Whitten Oval' or go with some banter 'Tom Boyd is bloody big and bloody good, do you want to play with him or against him?'.

westdog54
06-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Excellent. Now for phase 2. The president has to put on the annual ex-players from Footscray bring your son along dinner and have Tom Boyd award Murray a gong and life membership.

It's just too easy.

Also if Alex is playing in a few weeks, perhaps we could move from end to end and encourage him to make the move West? :)

Follow him from end to end? You make him sound like John Coleman BT.

1eyedog
06-02-2015, 04:01 PM
:) Done. Do we go with positive 'we'd love you to follow your dad at Whitten Oval' or go with some banter 'Tom Boyd is bloody big and bloody good, do you want to play with him or against him?'.

How about '...Rancey, we're going to play in a premiership in 3 years time - make your Dad proud by becoming a Western Bulldogs premiership player'.

bulldogtragic
06-02-2015, 04:09 PM

If he picked our club to come to he's elevated above JC. :) The fun of suburban grounds is being allowed to be nomadic, it's the charm I think. Speaking of moving around the ground, did they put WO through voluntary duties just for you to get paid to watch the dogs at home?

Twodogs
06-02-2015, 04:20 PM

We used to follow Simon Beasley from end to end. I reckon I saw almost all of his 575 goals at close range.

westdog54
10-02-2015, 12:44 PM
If he picked our club to come to he's elevated above JC. :) The fun of suburban grounds is being allowed to be nomadic, it's the charm I think. Speaking of moving around the ground, did they put WO through voluntary duties just for you to get paid to watch the dogs at home?

Haha sadly no. Probably not deemed 'high risk' enough.

Sedat
10-02-2015, 01:07 PM
We used to follow Simon Beasley from end to end. I reckon I saw almost all of his 575 goals at close range.
Bet you saw less than 20 goals in the wet ;)

bulldogtragic
10-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Haha sadly no. Probably not deemed 'high risk' enough.

I'm sure we can take care of that... :)

bornadog
29-04-2015, 03:29 PM
Good article here about Rance and why he may walk from footy:

Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/why-richmonds-alex-rance-may-walk-away-20150428-1mvffg.html)

dukedog
29-04-2015, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't believe the thoughts of one media personel. But to throw money at a guy that could be lured then have a change of heart is too risky. I know this thread came about before this season. wonder if everyone has the same salivating opinions to target him seeing how Tails has stepped up. im still keen on Fletcher Roberts, Needs some opportunities.

FrediKanoute
29-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Good article here about Rance and why he may walk from footy:

Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/why-richmonds-alex-rance-may-walk-away-20150428-1mvffg.html)

Leave well alone......there is only one religion and that is football

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Leave well alone......there is only one religion and that is football

There is only one God and he stands, arms and leg raised, in front of the Whitten Oval.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Alex Rance yet to decide if he wants to play football next year (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/alex-rance-yet-to-decide-if-he-wants-to-play-football-next-year/story-fni5f9jb-1227376889444)

Happy Days
03-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Anyone see Hutchy's master plan of giving him a $1mil holiday, on the condition he come back and play for $500k a year from there on out?

Ludicrous.

1eyedog
03-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Alex Rance yet to decide if he wants to play football next year (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/alex-rance-yet-to-decide-if-he-wants-to-play-football-next-year/story-fni5f9jb-1227376889444)

Alex Rance>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fletcher Roberts?

Getting closer with each and every game, in fact I would say Roberts is way ahead of where Rance was at the same point in their careers. Question is how high is Roberts' ceiling?

Axe Man
03-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Anyone see Hutchy's master plan of giving him a $1mil holiday, on the condition he come back and play for $500k a year from there on out?

Ludicrous.

Yeah I saw that on Footy Stupefied.

There's no way a club could sell that to the supporters and the playing group, even if they were willing to let him have a year off. Maybe a year off on minimum wage.

Don't understand why Rance wouldn't just sign a 4 or 5 year contract, earn his $700-$800k a year and say at the end of this, that's it, I'm retiring to go travel with my wife. This is his one chance to set himself up for life.

1eyedog
03-06-2015, 12:59 PM

There's no way a club could sell that to the supporters and the playing group, even if they were willing to let him have a year off. Maybe a year off on minimum wage.

Don't understand why Rance wouldn't just sign a 4 or 5 year contract, earn his $700-$800k a year and say at the end of this, that's it, I'm retiring to go travel with my wife. This is his one chance to set himself up for life.

He could go away for a year and keep fit, come back and do a big preseason and play with anyone he chose.

jeemak
03-06-2015, 01:01 PM

I think he might believe his faith in God will do this anyway.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2015, 01:20 PM
There is only one God and he stands, arms and leg raised, in front of the Whitten Oval.

LOL yeah, and he sold avocados in the western suburbs

bulldogtragic
03-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Abort. Abort. Abort. Abort. Abort. Abort.

Mofra
03-06-2015, 01:24 PM
AFL.com linking us to Robbie Tarrant.

Would be cheaper and is also a FA so we'd get him for nothing - injuries are a concern though

bulldogtragic
03-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Would be cheaper and is also a FA so we'd get him for nothing - injuries are a concern though

I'd give him a go for sure.

Happy Days
03-06-2015, 01:33 PM
I'd give him a go for sure.

Same - he's been really good playing as a Rance-lite this year, and he isn't a permanent threat to piss off for a year (or longer).

Is he contracted for next season? Doubt North would be willing to part with him cheaply after investing so much in him just as he's starting to show something.

Axe Man
03-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Same - he's been really good playing as a Rance-lite this year, and he isn't a permanent threat to piss off for a year (or longer).

Is he contracted for next season? Doubt North would be willing to part with him cheaply after investing so much in him just as he's starting to show something.

Unrestricted Free Agent.

The little I have seen of him in the past couple of weeks has left me unimpressed. Disposal and decision making looked suspect - dosen't seem any better than Talia or Roberts to me, although his size would be useful to play on the gorillas if Roughy is to play ruck/forward.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 02:49 PM

Better get the thread deleted quick. :D

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2015, 03:17 PM

North would be pretty peeved if he left after they've kept the faith despite all his injuries.

He's worth going after, he would enable us to use Roughy as a second ruck/forward so that we effectively patch up both a KPD and a KPF/second ruck with one swift move.

I'd be all over it - especially as a free agent.

G-Mo77
03-06-2015, 04:12 PM

I don't buy it. I think it's player manager fluff to be honest. We actually have some depth already and I don't see Tarrant any better to what we already have. Maybe I'm looking through rose coloured glasses.

Greystache
03-06-2015, 04:23 PM

Move on to Talia and Carlisle BT

bulldogtragic
03-06-2015, 08:55 PM

I've already got one of those boys. These threads are just for fun.

Twodogs
03-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Yeah he's planning on leading a fairly ascetic life post footy anyway I think.

1eyedog
04-06-2015, 12:52 AM

Carlisle's tainted goods. Let him be someone elses headache.

Remi Moses
04-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Not sure on Tarrant ( pretty injury prone )
The Rance idea is okay in theory, but there's more chance of Murray Rance making a comeback than it actually seeing the light of day

S Coast Simon
05-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Carlisle for me. He was in incredible form before bomber wanted to make him a forward. What an addition he would be at CHB

Ghost Dog
05-06-2015, 09:38 AM
It always seems a players stocks go up a bit when their contract is up.
The very fact someone is able to walk makes it seem they are just a little bit more valuable than they are.
But I wouldn't swap a glove in his prime for a rance.

"He has other things in his life that he values and he's weighing those things up," said Gale. "This [the transparency] is a good thing, we can work around these issues."

You would have to question why he would fully commit himself to us.

Dancin' Douggy
05-06-2015, 11:04 AM
with the emergence of Roberts, Hamling and Talia, we may not need to target a key back.
Roughead moving into the ruck is a major piece of the puzzle falling into place in my opinion.

The other thing we need now is some real silk, pace and class in the midfield to round it out.
Basically a Cooney/ Griffen type. A big goal kicking FAST midfielder.
I'd be keeping my powder dry and wait to see how the season unfolds for our emerging tall defenders.

Wouldn't you love to somehow get Jack Martin to the Kennel??? Or Harley Bennell?

KT31
05-06-2015, 11:06 AM
A no on Rance for me, at this stage he has other priorities in his life rather than football and I really cant see him giving anyone other than Richmond full commitment.
Tarrant seems to be to injury prone and not Carlisle (or for that matter any Essendon players) unless the whole supplement saga has finally been put to bed.
I would be very happy if we managed to coax Talia over to us to play with his brother.

Greystache
20-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Mission Failed

He signed today for 4 more years with Richmond

Twodogs
20-06-2015, 12:20 PM
On SEN they are saying he knocked back 5 with Brisbane.

lemmon
20-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Even if it is the Tiges, if we can't get a player my second preference is they stay with their club. Good get, the guy's a gun.

Twodogs
20-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Abort Mission! Abort Mission!

bornadog
20-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Abort Mission! Abort Mission!
New mission get Carlisle. Come on BT lets go

bulldogtragic
20-06-2015, 09:33 PM
New mission get Carlisle. Come on BT lets go

Mate I've already done it. Just working contingencies around how high our first rounder will be.

bornadog
20-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Mate I've already done it. Just working contingencies around how high our first rounder will be.
Thread?

hujsh
20-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Thread?

I think he means that Carlisle is already on the way.

Twodogs
21-06-2015, 12:05 AM
I'm pleased that Rance has re-signed with Richmond. I admire one club players and I think Richmond might finally be getting closer to some real success. With some sensible trading and astute drafting they should finally have a list with the depth to carry them through an entire season and deep into the finals.

He will be rewarded with some on field success over the next four years I reckon.

westdog54
21-06-2015, 12:12 AM
I'm pleased that Rance has re-signed with Richmond. I admire one club players and I think Richmond might finally be getting closer to some real success. With some sensible trading and astute drafting they should finally have a list with the depth to carry them through an entire season and deep into the finals.

He will be rewarded with some on field success over the next four years I reckon.

I didn't think he'd end up at another club. I always had the sense he'd either play at Richmond or simply not play.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2015, 01:08 AM
I think he means that Carlisle is already on the way.

Yep. No need to alert lazy media trawlers with a thread just yet.

bornadog
21-06-2015, 01:10 AM
Yep. No need to alert lazy media trawlers with a thread just yet.

I know he is on the way ;)

Twodogs
21-06-2015, 04:52 AM
For some reason there's been lots of media speculation since BT named his target.

comrade
21-06-2015, 08:32 AM
BT, is there any way we can get JC without parting with our first rounder? I'm convinced we desperately need another gun midfielder and the puzzle is almost complete.

Only way I see it is if we take advantage of the bidding system strike deals with clubs that need extra picks for their academy kids (GWS and Sydney).

For example, we move on players such as Hunter, Minson and Talia all for mid-latish second round picks - combined with ours, it leaves us with 4.

We then move 2 of these on to GWS for their first pick (let's say 12th but that's looking shaky by the day) which provides them with more bidding power than their first pick alone.

We move another 2 second round picks to Sydney for their first rounder (let's say 16/17) which again provides them with more bidding power than their first pick alone.

So we then have our existing first round pick (10), GWS first round pick (12) & Sydney's (17).

We say to Essendon - give us JC, here's pick 17.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2015, 09:51 AM
BT, is there any way we can get JC without parting with our first rounder? I'm convinced we desperately need another gun midfielder and the puzzle is almost complete.

Only way I see it is if we take advantage of the bidding system strike deals with clubs that need extra picks for their academy kids (GWS and Sydney).

For example, we move on players such as Hunter, Minson and Talia all for mid-latish second round picks - combined with ours, it leaves us with 4.

We then move 2 of these on to GWS for their first pick (let's say 12th but that's looking shaky by the day) which provides them with more bidding power than their first pick alone.

We move another 2 second round picks to Sydney for their first rounder (let's say 16/17) which again provides them with more bidding power than their first pick alone.

So we then have our existing first round pick (10), GWS first round pick (12) & Sydney's (17).

We say to Essendon - give us JC, here's pick 17.

Certainly have to think it about, especially since Ryder went for pick 17 last year. If we have 10 that might be a tad overs as Carlisles stocks simmer a bit. I think a bit like the Akermanis trade where we commit a first round selection, and then we do our thing to find a lesser first rounder (not for Macdougall like the Aker trade though). If these was a mid-season trade window or like the NRL when everyone knows through the latter part of the season, this would be done and dusted. But being Essendon expect them to be upset and ask way too high. If we move Minson like you say, then we have to go hard at a FA ruckman me thinks.

hujsh
21-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Certainly have to think it about, especially since Ryder went for pick 17 last year. If we have 10 that might be a tad overs as Carlisles stocks simmer a bit. I think a bit like the Akermanis trade where we commit a first round selection, and then we do our thing to find a lesser first rounder (not for Macdougall like the Aker trade though). If these was a mid-season trade window or like the NRL when everyone knows through the latter part of the season, this would be done and dusted. But being Essendon expect them to be upset and ask way too high. If we move Minson like you say, then we have to go hard at a FA ruckman me thinks.

"We demand Tom Boyd"

*thinks to selves* "Well it worked for them last year"

bornadog
23-07-2021, 10:56 AM
BUMP

Should we be pursuing Rance? He will be 32 on October and has been considering playing again.

Alex Rance is on the verge of making a shock appearance for Essendon’s VFL team this weekend, according to the Herald Sun.

The 31-year-old Richmond premiership player most recently played for Seymour in the Goulburn Valley League, having announced his AFL retirement at the end of 2019.

According to the report, Rance’s strong relationship with Essendon senior coach Ben Rutten is said to be a factor, with the Bombers set to play Southport on Sunday.

Rance was named in the All-Australian side five times, while also winning Richmond’s best and fairest award in 2015.

Happy Days
23-07-2021, 11:02 AM
No. All the stuff surrounding him is super weird and I'm suss on just how easily Richmond replaced him.

Also why didn't he just do the Bachelor the guy they picked instead was so bad and killed the whole show.

Grantysghost
23-07-2021, 11:03 AM
BUMP

Should we be pursuing Rance? He will be 32 on October and has been considering playing again.

I don't trust him enough to have him in the AFL system; 32 and a couple of years out, I think the risk is too high.

To be fair I have no idea what shape he's in. Rutten coached him at the Tigers I assume would be the link there.

jeemak
23-07-2021, 11:05 AM
No. All the stuff surrounding him is super weird and I'm suss on just how easily Richmond replaced him.

Also why didn't he just do the Bachelor the guy they picked instead was so bad and killed the whole show.

All valid points.

Axe Man
23-07-2021, 11:43 AM

Hold up. You watch the bachelor? :eek:

Ghost Dog
23-07-2021, 11:47 AM

Donate some money to his church and convert the boys to Jehova.....might get it over the line. :D

EasternWest
23-07-2021, 12:03 PM
BUMP

Hard pass. Weird unit.

bornadog
23-07-2021, 12:04 PM
Hard pass. Weird unit.

Personally, I agree

Happy Days
23-07-2021, 12:05 PM
Hold up. You watch the bachelor? :eek:

I *did* until Alex Rance ruined everything. He would’ve been perfect for it.

1eyedog
23-07-2021, 01:00 PM
Rance is too cool for us.

https://fb.watch/v/9N11e409J/

Mofra
23-07-2021, 02:16 PM
If we're going to top up the super of an older KPD - Tarrant for a year, or Astbury for two.

Grantysghost
23-07-2021, 02:20 PM
If we're going to top up the super of an older KPD - Tarrant for a year, or Astbury for two.

Tarrant and Goldstein for Young and Lipinski. BT?

bulldogtragic
23-07-2021, 02:55 PM
Tarrant and Goldstein for Young and Lipinski. BT?

Tarrant is a Free Agent.
Goldstein just turned 33. Has a year to run on his contract.

We need the Draft Points from Lipinski in particular. They’re apparently interested in Wallis, but he’s a UFA.

Based on last year with fringe bulldog and ruckman trade. La Young > Martin > Pick upgrade. That’s as far as I’d go personally. I wouldn’t think that’d get it done though.

1eyedog
24-07-2021, 11:12 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that Rance wants in BTW. He has family ties and knows we are going to win a flag next year as well.

Axe Man
26-07-2021, 08:04 PM
Hopefully Billy was putting in a good word for us.

https://i.postimg.cc/T3SQmp0B/rance.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Twodogs
26-07-2021, 08:10 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that Rance wants in BTW. He has family ties and knows we are going to win a flag next year as well.

His dad takes mark #7 on the video someone posted on the weekend of the top 50 bulldog marks of all time.

1eyedog
26-07-2021, 08:46 PM
Hopefully Billy was putting in a good word for us.

https://i.postimg.cc/T3SQmp0B/rance.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Still pointing and mouthing off though.