PDA

View Full Version : Designated Kicker In 2015

bulldogtragic
10-01-2015, 10:44 PM
I think we can all agree this has been a weak spot for a while now. Goodes wasn't getting the job done, JJ was in and out last year and Bobby seemed to be best shot we had in 2014. So then, 2015.

Do we look to JJ and Darley as the future and thus give us an extra marking target (with Bob up the ground)?
Do we keep it with Bob?
Do we have another smooth ball moved who might be a regular? (Biggs?)

I think Bob has my confidence, but if it's to be Bobs last year, I like to see some pups under match pressure on match days to clock experience up as much as practible.

Greystache
11-01-2015, 12:34 AM
If he can make the grade as a player then I think it'll be Biggs. He's a long, penetrating kick, and from the bits I've seen of him, seems a solid decision maker. Of course he needs to be able to defend and get the footy first to get a game, but his skills look solid.

Basically think Howard's draft profile but right.

jeemak
11-01-2015, 01:12 AM
I'd be surprised if we see a genuine designated kicker this year. Bob will take some of them, even Roughy will. The rest will be filled in with who is there at the time and who might be capable of carrying it on in seasons to come (JJ, Biggs, Wood - if distance is required - Darley, etc.).

It's going to be a big year ahead for our back six for a number of reasons, this is one of them that stands out.

Twodogs
11-01-2015, 01:43 AM
From what Ive seen of Hamling at training he could also be an option. Spots targets well, has good vision and can give the ball a fair hoof.

But I'm more concerned about our ability to cope with opposition kick ins. We've been terrible at it for at least two years now. I really hope we work on stratergies to deal with it over the preseason.

boydogs
11-01-2015, 02:47 AM
He's a long, penetrating kick

I haven't seen him, but that sounds promising

GVGjr
11-01-2015, 09:55 AM
I think we can all agree this has been a weak spot for a while now. Goodes wasn't getting the job done, JJ was in and out last year and Bobby seemed to be best shot we had in 2014. So then, 2015.

Do we look to JJ and Darley as the future and thus give us an extra marking target (with Bob up the ground)?
Do we keep it with Bob?
Do we have another smooth ball moved who might be a regular? (Biggs?)

I think Bob has my confidence, but if it's to be Bobs last year, I like to see some pups under match pressure on match days to clock experience up as much as practible.

It has to be Murphy, JJ isn't a great long kick and Darley might not command a regular game. I suspect Biggs might also play further up the ground.

It's an area of that we need to get a lot better at and one I hope we can develop a couple of options this season.

1eyedog
11-01-2015, 10:58 AM
If he can make the grade as a player then I think it'll be Biggs. He's a long, penetrating kick, and from the bits I've seen of him, seems a solid decision maker. Of course he needs to be able to defend and get the footy first to get a game, but his skills look solid.

Basically think Howard's draft profile but right.

Really? Have you even seen him play? What's he like under pressure?

G-Mo77
11-01-2015, 12:15 PM
I don't think it's just the kicking that is the problem but the way we setup or not setup.

Maddog37
11-01-2015, 12:37 PM
You need more than one. Hawks had Birchall, Guerra and suckling that all kicked very well.

Greystache
11-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Really? Have you even seen him play? What's he like under pressure?

I've only seem him in match simulation drills at training. We look to get the ball in his hands as often as possible and he's one of the few who can kick long and to the advantage of a team mate. Whether he can translate that to game day remains to be seen.

boydogs
11-01-2015, 03:26 PM
I've only seem him in match simulation drills at training. We look to get the ball in his hands as often as possible and he's one of the few who can kick long and to the advantage of a team mate. Whether he can translate that to game day remains to be seen.

Thanks Greystache

Twodogs
11-01-2015, 03:31 PM

He gets a lot of one on one tuition too. They have a role for him rebounding off halfback I think.

Greystache
11-01-2015, 04:26 PM
He gets a lot of one on one tuition too. They have a role for him rebounding off halfback I think.

Yep I've got no about that. You can see the players consciously try to get the ball in his hands as the final link as often as possible. How's his defending coming alone?

1eyedog
12-01-2015, 04:53 PM

Yeah ok. I wonder if Darley will also be in a position to get this gig. I suppose both need to be in best 22 before we'll know.

Greystache
12-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Yeah ok. I wonder if Darley will also be in a position to get this gig. I suppose both need to be in best 22 before we'll know.

Possibly, but nothing I've seen of Darley so far suggests he can be a damaging player by foot. He's a neat user, but his preference is to go short majority of the time. I can't recall him breaking open a zone with a long and accurate kick.

jeemak
12-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Possibly, but nothing I've seen of Darley so far suggests he can be a damaging player by foot. He's a neat user, but his preference is to go short majority of the time. I can't recall him breaking open a zone with a long and accurate kick.

I wonder how much of that is in his head.

Does anyone recall whether this was an attribute of his game as a junior?

Twodogs
12-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Yep I've got no about that. You can see the players consciously try to get the ball in his hands as the final link as often as possible. How's his defending coming alone?

He is good at staying on his feet in a contest. He could get to more contests though. He appears to be a quick learner. It must be hard learning all the new drills.

Greystache
12-01-2015, 06:10 PM
I wonder how much of that is in his head.

Does anyone recall whether this was an attribute of his game as a junior?

Yeah I'm not sure yet, I haven't seen enough of him to be sure. What I do know is it's not the additional pressure of AFL, he's the same at VFL level too. Hopefully he can become a more damaging kick because he's got a neat action and hits targets under pressure which is a great asset.

LostDoggy
13-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Hate to see talls like Hammer or Rough taking the kick-ins, just seems like a wasted option if we need to go long to a contest. Bob and Darley would be my picks.

Testekill
16-01-2015, 02:06 PM
An option that has not been bought up is Roberts. He is a pretty respectable kick and is a smart player so I have faith that he would be able to hit targets up. However there would be the problem in that we'd be taking away a tall option to mark the kick-out so I'm not sure which I would prefer him doing.

F'scary
16-01-2015, 03:15 PM
The sort of player I like to be kicking in is one who ideally combines 3 things:

1. He has a nice long accurate kick as an option;
2. A dependable short pass with the vision to be aware of interception risks;
3. The ability to see the opportunities to run with ball from the goal square and the leg speed to back up this option.

The Great Train Robber could be this guy. Bob Murphy is pretty good too although he did get intercepted a few times in the past couple of seasons on the short pass. JJ is another possibility although it would have to be under instruction to be very careful about option 2 above. I'm not sure about other possibilities - could it be made to work to have someone from the midfield like Bonti , Macrae or Hrovat take the kick and then work their way back up the field?