PDA

View Full Version : Family Day and Intra Club - 7 March 2015

bornadog
14-01-2015, 03:37 PM
From The Club (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-01-14/western-bulldogs-family-day)

For the first time the Western Bulldogs annual Family Day will be combined with an intra club match, providing a bumper day at the Kennel for the red, white and blue faithful.

Members and fans will be able to cast their eye over the Club’s playing list ahead of the 2015 AFL Premiership Season, with the internal fixture between the Western Bulldogs and Footscray Bulldogs scheduled for Saturday 7 March from 2:00pm.

The Family Day activities will follow the match, with a range of events and entertainment including player autographs and interviews with key Western Bulldogs personnel and coaching staff.

Various activities for junior Bulldogs supporters will be available throughout the afternoon, as well as a visit from club mascot Woofer, food and musical performances.

Entry will be by gold coin donation.

Maddog37
14-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Good idea. Looking forward to it.

Twodogs
14-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Last years Footscray v Western Bulldogs game was a great evening. It really got the reintroduction of Whitten Oval as a playing venue off to a rollicking start.

Hopefully this year it is even better

AndrewP6
14-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Sounds good, but why the late start? If the match is first, the other activities won't happen until late afternoon.

Remi Moses
15-01-2015, 01:16 AM
Great start for some . Good idea incorporating a game into the day.
Just hoping it's not the obligatory 40 degrees or hosing down rain .:eek:

bornadog
14-02-2015, 01:47 PM
update here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/club/events/family-day?camefrom=EMCL_530146_23437347)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/Landing%20Page%20Hero/MC2014-Club-Events-FamilyDay-Hero.jpg?timestamp=1423805393843

For the first time the Western Bulldogs annual Family Day will be combined with an intra club match, providing a bumper day at the Kennel for the red, white and blue faithful, scheduled for Saturday 7 March at 2:00pm.

Members and fans will be able to cast their eye over the Club’s playing list ahead of the 2015 AFL Premiership Season, with the internal fixture between the Western Bulldogs and Footscray Bulldogs kicking off at 3:00pm.

The Family Day activities will follow the match, with a range of events and entertainment including player autographs and interviews with key Western Bulldogs personnel and coaching staff.

Various activities for junior Bulldogs supporters will be available throughout the afternoon, as well as a visit from club mascot Woofer, food and musical performances.

This year’s Family Day will include:

Intra Club Match - Western Bulldogs v Footscray Bulldogs from 3:00pm
Player Autograph Signings
Interviews with Western Bulldogs staff, coaches and players
Kids Activities
Variety of Food Vendors
Appearance by Woofer
Musical Entertainment

When: Saturday, 7 March 2015, from 2:00pm

Venue: Victoria University Whitten Oval, 417 Barkly Street, West Footscray

Hotdog60
14-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Under the eyes of a new coach I wonder if the Intra Club Match will produce a bit of vigour to claim some spots in the firsts.

I look forward to reading (those that go) reports. Think of us poor Northerners and Westerners.

Eastdog
15-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Under the eyes of a new coach I wonder if the Intra Club Match will produce a bit of vigour to claim some spots in the firsts.

I look forward to reading (those that go) reports. Think of us poor Northerners and Westerners.

Must be hard up north Hotdog60 to get AFL news especially news about the Dogs. Thank goodness for woof and the Internet.

Hotdog60
15-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Must be hard up north Hotdog60 to get AFL news especially news about the Dogs. Thank goodness for woof and the Internet.

your not wrong Easty. Woof is my second home just about.

bulldogtragic
15-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Do we have a nearest to the pin comp going for The Prez' preseason comments?

2014: We are the threat.
2013: We won't win too many and may have big losses.

SonofScray
17-02-2015, 12:21 AM
Do we have a nearest to the pin comp going for The Prez' preseason comments?

2014: We are the threat.
2013: We won't win too many and may have big losses.

Footscray: Its a whole new ball game.

PG resplendent in fluro yellow cap when he says it.

LostDoggy
25-02-2015, 11:07 PM
In the latest message I got from the Bulldogs The Family Day on March 7th starts at 1:00 pm not 2 pm as stated previously. which is it? Does anyone know please?

NoName
01-03-2015, 09:23 PM
In the latest message I got from the Bulldogs The Family Day on March 7th starts at 1:00 pm not 2 pm as stated previously. which is it? Does anyone know please?

The Bulldogs website states that is starts at 1pm with the intra club match starting at 2pm.
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/club/events/family-day

LostDoggy
01-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Thanks for that.

josie
02-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Prez preseason comment competition:

2015: "Bulldog spirit will shine through, will be some tough patches however our young talent will continue to excite us and we will have some surprise wins."

Eastdog
03-03-2015, 08:22 PM
I may or may not go very happy I went to WO last Saturday. Looks like the weather will be good for it.

Mantis
04-03-2015, 09:47 AM
My little man got his first Bulldogs jumper yesterday for his 1st birthday... I might take him along so he can get it signed by his favourite player.

Murphy'sLore
04-03-2015, 10:51 AM
How do you know who his favourite player is, Mantis? :)

azabob
04-03-2015, 11:36 AM

It's code for Mantis favourite player.

LostDoggy
04-03-2015, 11:42 AM
It's code for Mantis favourite player.

Isn't Bonti just automatically everyone's favourite?

Mantis
04-03-2015, 11:44 AM

His Dad told him that he needs to jump on the 'Bont' train. :)

azabob
04-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Isn't Bonti just automatically everyone's favourite?

True, although there is the Libertore and Stringer train.

Ozza
04-03-2015, 01:24 PM
His Dad told him that he needs to jump on the 'Bont' train. :)

Good choice. My bloke got a jumper for his birthday also. He wanted a '4' on it - because he is 4 years old....so it worked our well!

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 02:29 PM

Where does it say that kids get a choice? :)

When she was around 8 my daughter told me that she was going to marry Adam Cooney, but guess what? The wedding is off!

Murphy'sLore
04-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Where does it say that kids get a choice? :)

When she was around 8 my daughter told me that she was going to marry Adam Cooney, but guess what? The wedding is off!

I think you might have dodged a bullet there, Twodogs!

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 03:46 PM
I think you might have dodged a bullet there, Twodogs!

I might just wait until I make a call on that.

ledge
04-03-2015, 04:34 PM
The club is looking for volunteers for the day so if anyone is interested give them a ring

bornadog
04-03-2015, 04:49 PM
I might just wait until I make a call on that.

She could marry Libba, then she would have an interesting combination of names.

Maddog37
04-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Dogs are training with my local club tonight. Training at Eureka stadium tomorrow and then family day Saturday.

Lots of dogs action this week!!

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Dogs are training with my local club tonight. Training at Eureka stadium tomorrow and then family day Saturday.

Lots of dogs action this week!!

Enjoy Maddog.

Maddog37
04-03-2015, 07:44 PM

Private lessons for my young fella from a champion. Not too shabby!

Greystache
04-03-2015, 07:52 PM

Already a Tom Boyd fan, good choice!

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Already a Tom Boyd fan, good choice!

A lot if parents heaved a sigh of relief when Tom took #17. We may not have to change the number over!

bornadog
04-03-2015, 11:50 PM
http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=593&stc=1

Great stuff, the kids get a big thrill out of it.

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 11:56 PM
I hope the kids got as big a thrill out of it as dad obviously did.

Maddog37
05-03-2015, 04:35 PM
I hope the kids got as big a thrill out of it as dad obviously did.

I don't think that is possible. It warmed the lower sub cockles of my heart!!

The Underdog
07-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Good choice. My bloke got a jumper for his birthday also. He wanted a '4' on it - because he is 4 years old....so it worked our well!

My son is 5, we're um, waiting to decide on a number.

bulldogtragic
07-03-2015, 11:34 AM
My son is 5, we're um, waiting to decide on a number.

Clicking thanks isn't enough... Funny!

LostDoggy
07-03-2015, 01:35 PM
So with todays 'training match simulation" as opossed to a full on intra club match. Will it pretty much be an intra club match without umpires?

LostDoggy
07-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Teams:

Blue Team:

1. Jarrad Grant
3. Mitch Wallis
7. Lachie Hunter
9. Jake Stringer
16. Toby McLean
17. Tom Boyd
19. Lucas Webb
20. Daniel Pearce
22. Mitch Honeychurch
27. Will Minson
29. Tory Dickson
30. Joel Hamling
31. Bailey Dale
33. Sam Darley
34. Jordan Kelly
35. Caleb Daniel
36. Matthew Fuller
37. Roarke Smith
38. Dale Morris
39. Jason Johannisen
43. Jack Redpath
44. Brett Goodes
46. Lin Jong

Red Team:

2. Robert Murphy
3. Josh Wallis (VFL)
6. Luke Dahlhaus
7. JD Hayes (VFL)
9. Anothy Barry (VFL)
10. Easton Wood
11. Jackson Macrae
15. Tom Campbell
19. Will Hayes (VFL)
20. Mitch Hannon (VFL)
23. Jordan Roughead
26. Declan Hamilton
28 Jordan Keras (VFL)
29. Nick Jamieson (VFL)
30. Michael Fogarty (VFL)
32. Darcy Fort (VFL)
33. Ben Morton (VFL)
34. Josh Grabowski (VFL)
35. Alex Greenwood (VFL)
36. David Iaccarino (VFL)
38. Tom Sharp (VFL)
39. Meyrick Buchanan (VFL)
42. Liam Picken
49. Ayce Cordy

Just noticed Crameri isn't named!? Wasn't the whole reason this is called "match simulation" and not a full intra club was so he could play?

What match ups would everyone be interested to see?

Campbell/Cordy v Minson is a standout.

Hopefully Roughy spends some time on Boyd.

Wood playing on Stringer would be a great match-up.

jazzadogs
07-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Essendon had three field umpires at their 'training match simulation' yesterday, against Williamstown (not sure how you can have match simulation against another side, that isn't a practice match? Question for another thread...), so I can't imagine it will be much different to a standard intra-club match.

I also assume that this means Crameri can play today.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
07-03-2015, 02:39 PM
No Campbell?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
07-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Oops sorry he's playing wearing number 15

Eastdog
07-03-2015, 04:47 PM
How's the intra club match going? Was there a good turnout today.

Webby
07-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Redpath starred. My kids dragged me away from much of it, but he kicked at least 6.

boydogs
07-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Redpath starred. My kids dragged me away from much of it, but he kicked at least 6.

5, 4 in the 3rd and 1 in the last

Greystache
07-03-2015, 05:54 PM
It had more of an informal hitout feel than a full blown intraclub match. Defence was lacking a bit at times and the intensity was down a little, but there were some good signs.

As Webby said, Redpath was a standout, led strongly, marked well, and kicked beautifully. Could've got somewhere around 5-7 goals. Dickson was also very dangerous up forward and kicked one goal from almost a full ground run. Campbell also marked very strongly and looked good. Boyd was pretty quiet and didn't present the way you'd like to see.

Hamilton and Daniel were both noticeable for the rookies, and I thought Mclean and Webb did a couple of nice things without standing out.

Overall it was pretty scrappy.

Webby
07-03-2015, 05:56 PM
5, 4 in the 3rd and 1 in the last

I can't count. Missed much of the first half with my kids in the jumping castle. Once the air was out of their tyres, I watched most of the second. Thought I spotted him nab one in the first. Maybe it was Boyd... Even better!

Nonetheless, I think our opposition this year will need to debate who their no. 1 defender goes to. That's a very good thing. I think you'd have to send your top gun to Redders at present.

Twodogs
07-03-2015, 05:56 PM
It had more of an informal hitout feel than a full blown intraclub match. Defence was lacking a bit at times and the intensity was down a little, but there were some good signs.

As Webby said, Redpath was a standout, led strongly, marked well, and kicked beautifully. Could've got somewhere around 5-7 goals. Dickson was also very dangerous up forward and kicked one goal work almost a full ground run. Campbell also marked very strongly and looked good. Boyd was pretty quiet and didn't present the way you'd like to see.

Hamilton and Daniel were both noticeable for the rookies, and I thought Mclean and Webb did a couple of nice things without standing out.

Overall it was pretty scrapp .

Could Boyd have been drawing defenders away from Redpath?

Greystache
07-03-2015, 05:58 PM
I can't count. Missed much of the first half with my kids in the jumping castle. Once the air was out of their tyres, I watched most of the second. Thought I spotted him nab one in the first. Maybe it was Boyd... Even better!

Nonetheless, I think our opposition this year will need to debate who their no. 1 defender goes to. That's a very good thing. I think you'd have to send your top gun to Redders at present.

I think he got at least 2 in the first half so that would make 7.

Greystache
07-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Could Boyd have been drawing defenders away from Redpath?

They switched between leading up the ground and playing deep, so I don't think so. They've got some good chemistry going but Redpath is having far more impact.

Barring injury he must be a certainty for round 1.

Webby
07-03-2015, 06:33 PM
One that caught the eye was Lucas Webb. Good size and clean by foot. Not particularly quick, but he looks a player.

Eastdog
07-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Great to hear Redpath did well. We look much better now up forward. Our midfield I hope can do well and give good delivery for our forwards. The defence is more the concern now. How did J Grant go?

Pickenitup
07-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Thought Grant showed a bit today he has so much class his hands are elite.

Eastdog
07-03-2015, 07:11 PM

You just want that more on a consistent basis. When the confidence is up he can be very good.

G-Mo77
07-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Barring injury he must be a certainty for round 1.

The trend in here was that he was not AFL standard, I'm not ragging on anyone I thought the same as well. He looked good last week and by the sounds of it was good today. He's a lovely kick at goal so at Etihad he shouldn't have any trouble going the distance from long range. We needed him to step up and so far he has, I hated the thought of Boyd doing it alone at his age with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Keep it up Jack!

dog town
07-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Caught most of the game. Took me a while to figure out who was who.

Hard not to be impressed with Redpath. Took contested marks, took them on the lead, took them pushing forward from the ruck. The most impressive thing for me was the work rate and willingness to compete for marks. Was a particular contest where he ran his arse off across the middle of the centre square to push wide to the wing to present. He saw that he had a mismatch and ran to space. The kick was a bit off and he dropped a one hander but it was a good sign. He also created a number of goals by crashing packs. Defenders were clearly struggling to go with him body on body. To temper that I thought the defensive aspects of the game were well down which made things easier. In the Richmond game our back 6 were all zoning off protecting space and cutting off attacks. In todays game it was almost as though they were instructed not to do that. Obviously spreading the best 6-8 defenders between 2 sides would have an impact too.

In contrast to Redpath I didn't think Boyd presented and demanded the footy as much as he should have. Seemed to float around a bit. Wasn't many times where he just lead out one on one and had the ball kicked to him. When the ball did come to him in the air he was largely stationary and would go to get 4 or 5 steps before the contest. The defenders would block his path and he wouldn't get to it. Wasn't expecting much of him to be honest at this stage but would be good to see him really having a crack at it. This could be a touch unfair and he may have been playing a role I am not aware of. Got to call it as I see it though. Also didn't play huge minutes. Maybe 2 and a half qtrs on and off.

Campbell took some very big grabs. We just need him to be able to take a few on the lead when forward. Took 2 or 3 huge contested grabs.

Caleb Daniel did some very nice things. Can cut in and out of traffic to release by hand or foot. Keeps the ball in our hands very well. Where he is for round 1 I am not sure but he certainly found the ball when on. Didn't spend much time in the center square and seemed to be lining up on a wing .

Macrae seemed to be the dominant player for the red team.

Stringer not as dominant as a forward as you would hope. Yet to see any of the powerful bursts of last year. Possibly adjusting to a few new things. Still serviceable.

Murphy noticeably more vocal setting standards and positioning players behind the ball at stoppages.

Darley pretty impressive I thought. Kept getting on the end of defensive build ups and was quite often the kicker. Also out marked Dahlhaus and others a couple of times.

Mids were mainly Jong, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Hunter and a mixture of others. Stringer was in there for a few bounces.

Honeychurch actually played quite well. Good at halving contests he is out of position in. Lead up at the ball well when resting forward.

Didn't watch him that closely but Johannisen got quite a bit of it and set up a couple of goals. Seemed to be receiving it through the middle a fair bit when we were rebounding.

Dickson must have kicked 3 or so. More effective than Stringer really. The blue team had Boyd, Redpath, Stringer and Dickson which might indicate how the forward line is shaping up at the moment. Grant mainly on a wing for the blue team or a high half forward.

Wallis seems to be working on his forward craft a bit when resting. Even when on the ball seems to be pushing to space and presenting as a marking option more often.

Hamilton moves well. Definitely has something just a matter of how he develops.

Webb used the ball well a few times. Hit Redpath on the lead with a low left footer at one stage.

dog town
07-03-2015, 07:51 PM

We have quite a few who are pretty good by hand. Grant is quite good at holding the ball until he can release someone. Just didn't get enough of the ball in other ways for mine. I like him forward where his small bursts of creativity hit the scoreboard.

GVGjr
07-03-2015, 07:55 PM
It was a decent hit out today for a number of players. I focused a bit more on the youngsters and liked the games of Webb, Hamilton, McLean and Daniel. Redpath has really come along well and was impressive. Campbell clunked a couple of marks and JJ was getting a bit of the ball.

dog town
07-03-2015, 08:11 PM
I didn't find McLean until really late. How did he go? I didn't realize there was a list of numbers for each team floating around.

Twodogs
07-03-2015, 08:30 PM
We have quite a few who are pretty good by hand. Grant is quite good at holding the ball until he can release someone. Just didn't get enough of the ball in other ways for mine. I like him forward where his small bursts of creativity hit the scoreboard.

He hand balled 20 metres to Bontempelli running into the goal square by himself for a goal just before half time last week.he was being tackled by two Richmond players at the time. Actually they were sort of tackling each other when Grant hand balled it to Bont.

dog town
07-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Which is what I like when he is forward. He will get 12-15 touches either way. If it is forward he creates scores. If he stays up the ground he needs to find a way to get more of the ball.

Prince Imperial
07-03-2015, 10:03 PM
I was very impressed with Darley today. He looks in really good shape and won a fair bit of the ball. His kicking was excellent as usual and he really put his hand up for round 1.

Twodogs
07-03-2015, 10:19 PM
I was very impressed with Darley today. He looks in really good shape and won a fair bit of the ball. His kicking was excellent as usual and he really put his hand up for round 1.

I think Darlwy will be a good player for us. Like you say he uses the ball really well and he looks really fit and strong(er). He must be in strong consideration for a spot in round one.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-03-2015, 10:42 PM
JJ and Darley look like they love the more attacking game plan. Both would receive/win the ball and take the open space in front of them every time with genuine pace and purpose. I am a fan of both players - although JJ needs to improve his disposal, as he seems to routinely "just miss" his targets. Darley looks a lot fitter and stronger, ran really well and has penetrating ball use. I thought he defended well too - it escapes me who he was on, but it was a much taller opponent and he did well.

Redpath was impressive. It was the way he went about it; worked really hard, competed really hard, used his strength to advantage, took some great contested marks, led well and he's probably the best set shot for goal in our squad. The early sign of him this pre-season are really good.

Campbell was pretty impressive. His physique has changed dramatically from when he first came to the club - almost didn't recognise him. Looks very lean and fit - mobility has improved. Took some huge contested grabs, kicked 3, competed well. I want to see him play 16+ games this season.

Cordy and Hamling had an interesting battle. Cordy did well, kicked a couple of goals, did OK in the ruck but Hamling showed a bit too. Extremely athletic/agile, provided some good rebound.

Impressed with Daniel. Super composed, rarely wastes a possession, very smart footballer. The thing I liked most about his game was that he followed the play. Numerous times he would dish the ball off and then run hard to receive it again. He isn't phased by congestion at all - would have to be in the mix for round 1.

McLean was pretty good in the first half. He won a bit of the ball, showed plenty of composure and used it well. Hamilton was impressive in the second half, displaying similar traits. He's pretty clever too - some nice side steps, trapped a ball to outsmart a defender. Webb got into it more in the second half too, and again, showed composure along with a fantastic left boot. Dale and R Smith were quiet.

divvydan
07-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Working so couldn't make it today. Looking at the team sheets, I assume Roughead matched up on Boyd but it's not obvious to me who would've been on Redpath with Talia and Roberts out and Hamling on the same team. Anyone know who it was?

azabob
07-03-2015, 11:00 PM
TBB is Campbell any chance as first ruck for round one?

Remi Moses
08-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Few observations among the gasbagging
Daniel was excellent . Composure in traffic and invariably finds a player( will play early doors)
Thought Campbell was excellent ( clunks the ball) and looks more mobile.
Cordy was decent as well, although he two grabs far to often
Ball movement was noticeably quicker as well

Remi Moses
08-03-2015, 12:04 AM
Thought Redapath was very impressive . He looks more mobile now, and is playing confidently .
What a tremendous set shot he is.
No Bonts today but I'd imagine you don't bring out a Ferrari on an off road drive.

boydogs
08-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Working so couldn't make it today. Looking at the team sheets, I assume Roughead matched up on Boyd but it's not obvious to me who would've been on Redpath with Talia and Roberts out and Hamling on the same team. Anyone know who it was?

Only one of his goals was shown in the highlights, Ayce Cordy was trailing him and Anthony Barry was running back to goal

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2015, 01:47 AM

It seemed to vary, but he took a few marks v Wood.

If it was up to me, yes.

He simply looks ready to play a lot of footy. He competed well over the ground, moved well, took great contested marks and kicked goals. Looks stronger and fitter, but leaner and more mobile.

He offers more than Minson for mine, who I wouldn't consider to be traveling well at this stage. Having said that, I would be pretty confident in saying that Minson will be given first run at it.

lemmon
08-03-2015, 07:26 AM

I just can't see it happening early. It's easy to forget Campbell has been on a modified pre-season program whereas Minson has done all the work. A massive NAB Challenge game or two may sway things but I imagine he's still a fair way off being at full conditioning

G-Mo77
08-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Apparently Biggs tore a hammy and is out for 5 - 7 weeks.

GVGjr
08-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Apparently Biggs tore a hammy and is out for 5 - 7 weeks.

I updated the Injuries thread with that last night. It's a real shame because I think there was a spot for him in the early rounds of the H&A season. It probably opens up a spot for Darley and one or two others

Webby
08-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Few observations among the gasbagging
Daniel was excellent . Composure in traffic and invariably finds a player( will play early doors)

Yeah, I hadn't noticed Daniel much until my mate arrived and commented on him. Once he did, I noticed quite a bit of his work. He didn't run and carry much, but is great in close distributing the footy. A clever little player.

lemmon
08-03-2015, 09:35 AM
How did Goodes look/where did he play? I still think he's short odds to be elevated and replacing Libba to be honest

GVGjr
08-03-2015, 09:57 AM
How did Goodes look/where did he play? I still think he's short odds to be elevated and replacing Libba to be honest

I thought he was okay. Often around the midfield and maybe off half back

Webby
08-03-2015, 10:07 AM

He was very good. Played midfield/half forward from what I could see. Wasn't really looking out for him, but he was noticeably good. I believe he kicked a couple of goals.

One other thing just jumped to mind. In the unlikely scenario that Jake Stringer didn't rate R Murphy as a player, I reckon he certainly would now! Whilst I'm at it, I can see Murphy being a bit of a Michael Tuck. (Touch wood). I think he can play well in excess of 300 AFL games. To see him turn a 1 year captaincy into a 4 year captaincy and to spend his last moment in footy lifting the 2018 AFL Premiership Cup would be beyond nirvana.... I should stop now... Getting carried away...

But, I think Murphy is in the Tuck/Fletcher camp. I really do.

kruder
08-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Maybe a question for another thread but can we play Boyd, Redpath, Minson and Campbell in the same team?

Boyd has a long way to go IMO no where near aggressive enough at the footy but he has to play surely. Redpath and Campbell both are really putting their hands up and Minson is still the number 1 ruck at this stage.

Thoughts?

Dry Rot
08-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Maybe a question for another thread but can we play Boyd, Redpath, Minson and Campbell in the same team?

Boyd has a long way to go IMO no where near aggressive enough at the footy but he has to play surely. Redpath and Campbell both are really putting their hands up and Minson is still the number 1 ruck at this stage.

Thoughts?

I was wondering the same thing.

Ditto can we play Boyd, Redpath, Minson and Cordy in the same team?

azabob
08-03-2015, 03:27 PM

Thoughts?

Nope. Only 3 out of the 4 can play in the same team. I think from a mobility aspect we would struggle with three big men in our forward line.

Greystache
08-03-2015, 03:29 PM

No, I don't think so.

Our best team at this stage would be Boyd, Redpath, and Minson or Campbell. We can't play both Minson and Campbell with that set up. I think Minson will get the nod for round 1 but it wouldn't surprise me to see Campbell go past Minson early in the season. Campbell has far more upside.

Before I Die
08-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Nope. Only 3 out of the 4 can play in the same team. I think from a mobility aspect we would struggle with three big men in our forward line.

The question in the past has been, who can give Minson a short break each quarter in the ruck while still contributing to the team for the rest of the time. Equally, if Minson is injured during a game, who can we turn to?

Right now we appear to have Boyd, Roughead and Redpath. That is sufficient ruck back up, particulary if two out of three of Talia, Roberts and Hamling are also playing, as this gives us KP back-up to free up one of the above ruck options.

If a second ruckman can force their way into the team, then either we would have both all Australian ruckmen playing for us, or Boyd and Redpath are both on the injury list.

GVGjr
08-03-2015, 05:16 PM

No we can't and it's the reason why the coach is wanting Boyd and probably Redpath to spend some time in the ruck during games.

kruder
08-03-2015, 06:36 PM
No, I don't think so.

Our best team at this stage would be Boyd, Redpath, and Minson or Campbell. We can't play both Minson and Campbell with that set up. I think Minson will get the nod for round 1 but it wouldn't surprise me to see Campbell go past Minson early in the season. Campbell has far more upside.

Yeah I'm with you grey I really like Campbell right now. I actually think Boyd will get rested etc hence should provide a chance for him but he is far too good to playing at Footscray all year.

It's interesting where it leaves Cordy? I just can't see him playing seniors again this year...

GVGjr
08-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Yeah I'm with you grey I really like Campbell right now. I actually think Boyd will get rested etc hence should provide a chance for him but he is far too good to playing at Footscray all year.

It's interesting where it leaves Cordy? I just can't see him playing seniors again this year...

Even if they give Tom Boyd a rest during the season a Minson and Campbell combination is still a difficult one to see working for much more than a couple of games unless Campbell is kicking goals.

As for Cordy, I'm still a believer that we need 3 genuine ruckman on the list and Ayce can come in and be our number one ruckman if Minson and Campbell form some reason weren't available. While opportunities will be hard to get he is worth his spot.

Twodogs
08-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Even if they give Tom Boyd a rest during the season a Minson and Campbell combination is still a difficult one to see working for much more than a couple of games unless Campbell is kicking goals.

As for Cordy, I'm still a believer that we need 3 genuine ruckman on the list and Ayce can come in and be our number one ruckman if Minson and Campbell form some reason weren't available. While opportunities will be hard to get he is worth his spot.

I can see a future where Campbell and Cordy will play a fair bit of footy together for us. They built up a really good understanding playing for Footscrat in the VFL last year. I was a little disappointed they didn't get a chance to play together in the game Wil Minson was rested from.

Greystache
08-03-2015, 06:59 PM

Agree we do, but I think we made a mistake not drafting another ruckman this year. The ideal situation is to have a depth ruckman that has the potential to become a good AFL player. That's what Campbell was, and we should have been looking for another like him.

Cordy is OK depth at a pinch, but he's not likely to develop into a very good AFL player. We missed an opportunity to upgrade our depth ruckman from Cordy.

GVGjr
08-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Agree we do, but I think we made a mistake not drafting another ruckman this year. The ideal situation is to have a depth ruckman that has the potential to become a good AFL player. That's what Campbell was, and we should have been looking for another like him.

Cordy is OK depth at a pinch, but he's not likely to develop into a very good AFL player. We missed an opportunity to upgrade our depth ruckman from Cordy.

I think Cordy position within the list is strengthened because we are reluctant to draft ruckman and probably key position defenders with an early draft picks. I guess we could use Roughead in the ruck if we had at least one more genuine tall defender.

Maddog37
08-03-2015, 08:40 PM
In theory we now have Roberts, Talia, Hamling and Z Cordy on the list as key backs.

boydogs
08-03-2015, 09:09 PM
In theory we now have Roberts, Talia, Hamling and Z Cordy on the list as key backs.

Plus Roughead, Morris & Wood that can play tall, Kelly as a rookie, Stringer & Redpath that play forward but have spent time in defense

BornInDroopSt'54
08-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I hadn't noticed Daniel much until my mate arrived and commented on him. Once he did, I noticed quite a bit of his work. He didn't run and carry much, but is great in close distributing the footy. A clever little player.

Didn't Daniel wear his helmet?

boydogs
08-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Didn't Daniel wear his helmet?

Not in the highlights he didn't

Greystache
08-03-2015, 09:54 PM

Hamling isn't a key defender, he's not even close. He got rag dolled a number of times yesterday when he played on a big guy. If he's to make the grade it's going to have to be as a rebounding 3rd tall. He's more of a key defender than Cordy however.

Twodogs
08-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Hamling isn't a key defender, he's not even close. He got rag dolled a number of times yesterday when he played on a big guy. If he's to make the grade it's going to have to be as a rebounding 3rd tall. He's more of a key defender than Cordy however.

I thought Hamling rebounded in the second half against Richmond quite a few times. A couple of times he even allowed himself a couple of bounces and a kick to a target.

Go_Dogs
09-03-2015, 01:01 PM
I thought Hamling rebounded in the second half against Richmond quite a few times. A couple of times he even allowed himself a couple of bounces and a kick to a target.

Yep, he did. He really needs to make that a focus of his game. I like what he offers, seems a good size and the right amount of speed and athleticism to play on those genuine third tall forwards, such as Gunston.

GVGjr
09-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Is Hamling a bit hesitant when he has good possession of the ball? On occasions I think he waits a bit long to find his target.
His skills aren't terrific but his athleticism and pace are a real asset.

I like the suggestion of him playing on the likes of Gunston but I'd also like to see him on smaller opponents that he can match them with pace but beat them with his height.

Go_Dogs
09-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Is Hamling a bit hesitant when he has good possession of the ball? On occasions I think he waits a bit long to find his target.
His skills aren't terrific but his athleticism and pace are a real asset.

I like the suggestion of him playing on the likes of Gunston but I'd also like to see him on smaller opponents that he can match them with pace but beat them with his height.

You might be right regarding his ability to quickly decide on an option when in possession. I haven't seen enough of him yet, so I reserve my judgment.

I'm sure we're looking at Hamling to add that versatility to the backline, with his ability to play on a few different types of player. Not every team has a Gunston style third tall forward, so in order to keep himself in the side most weeks he's got to be able to play on medium and smaller sized players. This is particularly the case as it appears he isn't yet (or won't be) a genuine key defender.

F'scary
09-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Hamlet does seem like a reasonable addition to the list for this year. Could be anything, could be nothing but so far so good.

choconmientay
09-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Some pictures from the IntraClub game 2015

End score:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7610/16555444577_f4175a57aa.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rdWYTB)IntraClub2015-71 (https://flic.kr/p/rdWYTB) by choconmientay (https://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Whole set:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/sets/72157650794619457/

GVGjr
09-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks very much choconmientay. Brilliant pictures

Twodogs
09-03-2015, 11:35 PM
Yep. Thanks nicely.

Templeton31
09-03-2015, 11:56 PM
I think there hope for Hamling but I don't think we can rely on a bloke who's yet to debut..... if he has a really good year he'll play say 13 games and contribute well. that would be a really good year. But if you're thinking he's gonna keep Kurt Tippett to 1 goal you're dreaming!

Mofra
10-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Plus Roughead, Morris & Wood that can play tall, Kelly as a rookie, Stringer & Redpath that play forward but have spent time in defense
Wood is 186cm tall.
If we need to include him in our list of backline talls our list is in more trouble than we thought.

boydogs
11-03-2015, 02:56 AM
Wood is 186cm tall.
If we need to include him in our list of backline talls our list is in more trouble than we thought.

Give Wood & Morris a 5 metre runup and jump and I reckon Wood would get higher

Mofra
11-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Give Wood & Morris a 5 metre runup and jump and I reckon Wood would get higher
Great.
Now we only have to play him in games where he is allowed a 5m run up every time there is a contest in our defensive half.

Wood is not a KPD. Period.

Remi Moses
11-03-2015, 02:37 PM
I think you'll find Wood has a very good standing start leap as well.
Plenty of smaller defenders have played as key backs ( Leo Barry) for example.
One on one against the gorillas he'd struggle.

Mofra
11-03-2015, 03:30 PM
I think you'll find Wood has a very good standing start leap as well.
Plenty of smaller defenders have played as key backs ( Leo Barry) for example.
One on one against the gorillas he'd struggle.
Wood played on taller players last year and (IIRC) he lost the most one on ones in % terms in the competition.
The game is changing - the days of 6 foot or thereabouts being KPP height is over.

Greystache
11-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Wood played on taller players last year and (IIRC) he lost the most one on ones in % terms in the competition.
The game is changing - the days of 6 foot or thereabouts being KPP height is over.

It's the problem we're going to keep encountering with our obsession of only drafting short players, and the clinical fear we seem to have of using a draft pick on a key position player. In the last 4 years we've only used one draft pick earlier than #80 on a KP/Ruckman (Talia- pick 39 in 2011) the others are all either rookie (Campbell, Redpath), preseason draft (Roberts), or delisted free agent (Hamling).

We're trying to build a list but are only willing to pick up the bargain scraps of key position players. It was only Gryphin defecting that forced our hand to pay up for Boyd. It's just insanity but it's what we're doing.

Mofra
11-03-2015, 04:06 PM
It's the problem we're going to keep encountering with our obsession of only drafting short players, and the clinical fear we seem to have of using a draft pick on a key position player. In the last 4 years we've only used one draft pick earlier than #80 on a KP/Ruckman (Talia- pick 39 in 2011) the others are all either rookie (Campbell, Redpath), preseason draft (Roberts), or delisted free agent (Hamling).

We're trying to build a list but are only willing to pick up the bargain scraps of key position players. It was only Gryphin defecting that forced our hand to pay up for Boyd. It's just insanity but it's what we're doing.
I agree with you - despite picking up Zaine Cordy who will take many years to be AFL ready, our obsession with shorter player and our history of never having a full, good spine in my lifetime of following the Bulldogs (we're always missing one tall) means I do worry about how we will structure up in the next few years.

We actually look ok in the forwardline for once (Redpath & Boyd can prove a useful pairing) but Roughy had an injury-affected shocker last year and no CHB candidate has yet emerged so I'm very worried about our KPD stocks.

Greystache
11-03-2015, 05:10 PM
We actually look ok in the forwardline for once (Redpath & Boyd can prove a useful pairing) but Roughy had an injury-affected shocker last year and no CHB candidate has yet emerged so I'm very worried about our KPD stocks.

We do at this stage, but we are still banking on 2 players who have barely 10 games of AFL experience between them. If one (or heaven forbid both) doesn't make it we have no one else coming through and will be looking at trying to develop a kid who's currently 17 and playing under age footy. We're taking the all your eggs in one basket to the extreme.

Mofra
11-03-2015, 05:54 PM
We do at this stage, but we are still banking on 2 players who have barely 10 games of AFL experience between them. If one (or heaven forbid both) doesn't make it we have no one else coming through and will be looking at trying to develop a kid who's currently 17 and playing under age footy. We're taking the all your eggs in one basket to the extreme.
I wouldn't be unhappy if we look at a mature ager who is "decent" who can fill in for a couple of years. Geelong nabbed 22 yo Delaney last year for depth, there has to be some players around this trade period we can look at.

LostDoggy
11-03-2015, 09:45 PM

Could it be a possibility we have Carisle all signed sealed and delivered at years end?

boydogs
11-03-2015, 09:55 PM
In the last 4 years we've only used one draft pick earlier than #80 on a KP/Ruckman (Talia- pick 39 in 2011) the others are all either rookie (Campbell, Redpath), preseason draft (Roberts), or delisted free agent (Hamling).

If one (or heaven forbid both) doesn't make it we have no one else coming through and will be looking at trying to develop a kid who's currently 17 and playing under age footy

You want us to hit the draft, but you don't want to wait for them to develop

Boyd, Hamling, Z Cordy and promoting Redpath was a pretty good effort at improving our KP stocks in one off season. If Campbell, Talia & Roberts come on this year we will look a lot better

Twodogs
11-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Could it be a possibility we have Carisle all signed sealed and delivered at years end?

Not really no. But Tom Boyd playing for us this year were pretty long odds this time last year.

Greystache
11-03-2015, 10:34 PM
You want us to hit the draft, but you don't want to wait for them to develop

Boyd, Hamling, Z Cordy and promoting Redpath was a pretty good effort at improving our KP stocks in one off season. If Campbell, Talia & Roberts come on this year we will look a lot better

You've missed the point. You don't draft a batch, sit on them for a few years to see if they make, then if they don't start again. That's the recipe for creating huge holes in a list. We should be regularly drafting talls so as the one's that don't make it get delisted we have others coming through who aren't kids.

Repath, Talia, Hamling, and Roberts were all drafted the same year, and going into their 4th seasons have about 10 games experience between them with nothing else coming through. Well except that hulking beast Z Cordy you keep banging on about :rolleyes: I'd count Jack MaCrae in our KP defender stakes too given him and Cordy are the exact same height and weight, although I'd give the edge in body strength to MaCrae from the contested work I've seen.

bulldogtragic
11-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Gotta say, I was envious of Saints last year. Paddy & Goddard are bookends for a decade for them. If we had their picks, I don't think we'd have done it.

Greystache
11-03-2015, 10:43 PM

I'll believe it if you will :)

boydogs
12-03-2015, 12:29 AM
You've missed the point. You don't draft a batch, sit on them for a few years to see if they make, then if they don't start again. That's the recipe for creating huge holes in a list. We should be regularly drafting talls so as the one's that don't make it get delisted we have others coming through who aren't kids.

Redpath, Talia, Hamling, and Roberts were all drafted the same year, and going into their 4th seasons have about 10 games experience between them with nothing else coming through.

That's the plan though, create a list with a huge chunk of players peaking at the one time. We have a special list of guys from Roughead down to Bonts drafted from 2008-2013. In 2014 we added a few guys drafted previously that will peak at the same time

Well except that hulking beast Z Cordy you keep banging on about :rolleyes: I'd count Jack MaCrae in our KP defender stakes too given him and Cordy are the exact same height and weight, although I'd give the edge in body strength to MaCrae from the contested work I've seen.

Dalrymple said on draft night he thinks Cordy will in time be able to play as a key defender, I'm hoping he is right

Remi Moses
12-03-2015, 01:23 AM
Clearly Darymple thinks the talls at our picks aren't going to be much chop.
Picking up a free agent at 28 or 29 would be pointless, and we just need to keep playing Talia, Roberts, Hamling and the like.
Time will tell of course whether we stuffed up

Mofra
12-03-2015, 10:22 AM
In the off season we lost Austin (despite what some say, he was a mature body & serviceable) and Williams who was arguably our best tall in those brief fleeting moments he was uninjured.

Our tall stocks look young and speculative although Redpath and Boyd are showing good signs. Our defensive stocks are terrible and if Roberts and somehow get his shoulders together, Roughy can recover from a poor 2014, Talia learns how to defend one on one and Hamling does a pre-season under Hird with all associated "supplements" then yes, we'd look better in the back half.

Right now speculative kids does not guarantee success. Melbourne has been banking talented kids with high draft picks for the better part of a decade and it's got them nowhere.

Mofra
12-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Clearly Darymple thinks the talls at our picks aren't going to be much chop.
Picking up a free agent at 28 or 29 would be pointless, and we just need to keep playing Talia, Roberts, Hamling and the like.
Time will tell of course whether we stuffed up
You mean having a key defender who can defend for 2-3 years, the time it takes a young key defender to develop, is pointless?
I disagree - if a kid isn't ready for AFL football throwing him to the wolves won't help, nor will telling a bunch of senior players "we're going to be deliberately crap for a number of years and won't fix a glaring weakness" even with a cheap mature ager for a couple of years will go down well either.

I think we should have targeted someone who can fill in for a couple of years to allow our young talls to develop.
Do you think Tom Boyd's development will suffer because we have an aggressive 100kg 24 year old monster in the forwardline with him?

Mofra
12-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Dalrymple said on draft night he thinks Cordy will in time be able to play as a key defender, I'm hoping he is right
So maybe he makes it and if so, maybe he makes it as a key defender?

Banking on two 'maybes' for 4-5 years time on a skinny Cordy (who has already lost half a year of development with a shoulder reco) is not what I'd call great list management.

bornadog
12-03-2015, 10:28 AM
You mean having a key defender who can defend for 2-3 years, the time it takes a young key defender to develop, is pointless?
I disagree - if a kid isn't ready for AFL football throwing him to the wolves won't help, nor will telling a bunch of senior players "we're going to be deliberately crap for a number of years and won't fix a glaring weakness" even with a cheap mature ager for a couple of years will go down well either.

I think we should have targeted someone who can fill in for a couple of years to allow our young talls to develop.
Do you think Tom Boyd's development will suffer because we have an aggressive 100kg 24 year old monster in the forwardline with him?

I was very disappointed with our selection of rookies this year. We should have picked up at least one young or mature age KPP and one developing ruckman.

Mofra
12-03-2015, 12:33 PM
I was very disappointed with our selection of rookies this year. We should have picked up at least one young or mature age KPP and one developing ruckman.
I'm surprised we didn't - perhaps the club thinks Kelly can play tall but he looks a fair way off from what I've seen.

LostDoggy
12-03-2015, 02:02 PM

We did go hard at Tom Longeran. Who fits this criteria perfectly. I get the feeling we had him signed until all the crap went down.

bornadog
12-03-2015, 02:07 PM
We did go hard at Tom Longeran. Who fits this criteria perfectly. I get the feeling we had him signed until all the crap went down.

Thank god we didn't get him.

lemmon
12-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Thank god we didn't get him.

You've advocated grabbing a mature age rookie key position player but not a mature age player we know could step in and do the job to a high standard, I don't see the difference. Granted he would have taken a fair amount of cap space to get over but who else is the money going to anyway?

bornadog
12-03-2015, 03:58 PM
You've advocated grabbing a mature age rookie key position player but not a mature age player we know could step in and do the job to a high standard, I don't see the difference. Granted he would have taken a fair amount of cap space to get over but who else is the money going to anyway?

The amount of money we were throwing at a soon to be 31 year old was just ridiculous in my opinion. Plus, personally, I don't rate him at all. I would rather a 25 year old or younger player that we can get a few years out of.

Mofra
12-03-2015, 04:04 PM
I'd be surprised if we weren't talking to a number of talls at other clubs - it seems genuine KPDs are now in demand if Frawley's contract is anything to go by.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2015, 04:23 PM
The amount of money we were throwing at a soon to be 31 year old was just ridiculous in my opinion. Plus, personally, I don't rate him at all. I would rather a 25 year old or younger player that we can get a few years out of.

Fair enough if you don't think he was worth the alleged money - I am of a similar view - but how can you not rate him? Lonergan has been Geelong's best defender for years.

bornadog
12-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Fair enough if you don't think he was worth the alleged money - I am of a similar view - but how can you not rate him? Lonergan has been Geelong's best defender for years.

I am basing it on his performance in 2014. I think he is on the decline. I could be wrong, but just felt he was beaten several times last year.

lemmon
12-03-2015, 05:53 PM

Anyone know how much of the cap we're paying this year?

Greystache
12-03-2015, 06:02 PM
I am basing it on his performance in 2014. I think he is on the decline. I could be wrong, but just felt he was beaten several times last year.

He made the All Australian squad in 2014.

Remi Moses
12-03-2015, 10:50 PM
So maybe he makes it and if so, maybe he makes it as a key defender?

Banking on two 'maybes' for 4-5 years time on a skinny Cordy (who has already lost half a year of development with a shoulder reco) is not what I'd call great list management.

Doesn't that remain to be seen? You target a cheap option and it doesn't work you're back to square one

Remi Moses
12-03-2015, 10:58 PM

What would be the point ? Less game time for either Roberts or Talia, and he'll be retired with a nice super package when we're challenging . Time now for Talia and Roberts to show something, and to be honest every backline looks ordinary when the team doesn't defend .

GVGjr
12-03-2015, 11:01 PM
What would be the point ? Less game time for either Roberts or Talia, and he'll be retired with a nice super package when we're challenging . Time now for Talia and Roberts to show something, and to be honest every backline looks ordinary when the team doesn't defend .

I think before the end of the season we will be crying out for an experienced key defender to support both Talia and Roberts.

bornadog
12-03-2015, 11:28 PM
He made the All Australian squad in 2014.

Really, well that is a joke.

EDIT: I just checked and I don't think he has been in the AA ever. Maybe a squad but they couldn't think of any one else for fullback.

boydogs
12-03-2015, 11:30 PM
In the off season we lost Austin (despite what some say, he was a mature body & serviceable) and Williams who was arguably our best tall in those brief fleeting moments he was uninjured.

Plus Jones & Young. The hole in our KP stocks wasn't through a lack of planning - we had 2 go backwards and get delisted, 1 retire at 28 and 1 ask to be traded in the one off-season

Our tall stocks look young and speculative although Redpath and Boyd are showing good signs. Our defensive stocks are terrible and if Roberts and somehow get his shoulders together, Roughy can recover from a poor 2014, Talia learns how to defend one on one and Hamling does a pre-season under Hird with all associated "supplements" then yes, we'd look better in the back half.

Right now speculative kids does not guarantee success. Melbourne has been banking talented kids with high draft picks for the better part of a decade and it's got them nowhere.

Roughead has shown he can defend well, he was carrying a shoulder injury last year. Unless we decide he is more valuable somewhere else we can lock him in at FB for the next 7 years. Talia looks good to me, I don't know why he didn't play last year when Roughead, Austin & Young were getting murdered and I think he will do well for us from this year onwards. He was very promising in 2013 and we were all scratching our heads as to why he wasn't played in 2014

That's FB & CHB sorted. Morris can play on smaller players but Hamling, Z Cordy, Roberts & Kelly might struggle for games if they make it. Roberts is too slow to play anything but KP, Hamling, Cordy & Kelly may make it as rebounders or 3rd tall defenders but Wood is doing well there now.

We have so many KPD options right now that it will be difficult to play them all in their preferred positions even at VFL level. There is not a lot of experience or proven AFL level talent there but we have plenty of them and they are at an age where they will peak at the same time as the stars on our list

Greystache
12-03-2015, 11:54 PM
Really, well that is a joke.

EDIT: I just checked and I don't think he has been in the AA ever. Maybe a squad but they couldn't think of any one else for fullback.

He made the All Australian squad in 2014. He didn't make the final team but was in the squad.

bornadog
13-03-2015, 10:00 AM
He made the All Australian squad in 2014. He didn't make the final team but was in the squad.

Well my opinion is he is passed his best and I am glad we didn't recruit him.

Mofra
13-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Doesn't that remain to be seen? You target a cheap option and it doesn't work you're back to square one
Given the odds are low I want more than one option.
We have holes on our list and I think they should be filled. An AFL-ready KPD is one of them.

Mofra
13-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Roughead has shown he can defend well, he was carrying a shoulder injury last year. Unless we decide he is more valuable somewhere else we can lock him in at FB for the next 7 years. Talia looks good to me, I don't know why he didn't play last year when Roughead, Austin & Young were getting murdered and I think he will do well for us from this year onwards. He was very promising in 2013 and we were all scratching our heads as to why he wasn't played in 2014
Talia looked ok as long as he didn't have to defend one on one, which by all accounts is an issue he still struggles with. At AFL level opponents will find a weakness and exploit it - the concern is that Roughy gets killed on the lead while Talia gets killed one on one. An experienced forwardline will work that out quickly.
Roberts isn't much quicker than Roughy (if at all) but does everything else well, he can at least be serviceable if he manages to play a full season - and he hasn't even managed to do that at VFL level yet.

Hamling may have Grant's disease and simply not be able to put on the required weight, and after 3 years on an AFL list his running capacity is below par. Perhaps he can make it as a tallish rebounder but his tank really needs to improve to consider him in that role.

We have 4-5 'maybes' all at the same time - that is not good list management. We need a mixture of AFL ready players and developing types. Heck, Geelong have Taylor, Lonegan & Rivers in their best 22 as well as a 'tallish' Mackie and still took Delaney as a mature ager for depth.

Mofra
13-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Anyone know how much of the cap we're paying this year?
By rumour, we're struggling to pay 95% this year (hence the Grifyn payment to GWS).
That means we can pay 105% next year.

boydogs
13-03-2015, 03:33 PM
We have 4-5 'maybes' all at the same time - that is not good list management

How many non-maybe 21 year old KP's are there? I like the idea of them all peaking together

Mofra
13-03-2015, 04:27 PM
How many non-maybe 21 year old KP's are there? I like the idea of them all peaking together
I prefer the idea of having players at different age brackets developing at different times so we don't have holes in the list.

If you think we'll have a good defensive unit this year, fine - I don't believe we will and am expecting some poor results this year.

Greystache
13-03-2015, 05:16 PM
I prefer the idea of having players at different age brackets developing at different times so we don't have holes in the list.

If you think we'll have a good defensive unit this year, fine - I don't believe we will and am expecting some poor results this year.

Agree, and if they don't turn out we're literally back to square one of drafting a couple of 18 years olds and waiting 3-4 to see if they can make it. Recruiting key position players in batches and then sitting on them is insane. The only alternative we'll have is drafting a state league mature key defender, and the number of those to forge good careers in modern times could be counted on one hand.

Twodogs
13-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Agree, and if they don't turn out we're literally back to square one of drafting a couple of 18 years olds and waiting 3-4 to see if they can make it. Recruiting key position players in batches and then sitting on them is insane. The only alternative we'll have is drafting a state league mature key defender, and the number of those to forge good careers in modern times could be counted on one hand.

Is Dale Morris count as one?

A couple of likely types of tall defenders have been plucked from the state leagues in 2012 and 2013. Frost is it? Did he go to Collingwood?

boydogs
13-03-2015, 11:11 PM

I don't buy the sustained success model and especially not for us. I think we should be targeting a window where Libba, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Bonts, Boyd, Stringer are 23-27, from 2018-2022

Remi Moses
13-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Given the odds are low I want more than one option.
We have holes on our list and I think they should be filled. An AFL-ready KPD is one of them.

We just had two in Young and Austin, and they failed.
If we target a key back I'd like two things.
1) no fringe players
2) age group has to be right

Remi Moses
13-03-2015, 11:48 PM
I don't buy the sustained success model and especially not for us. I think we should be targeting a window where Libba, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Bonts, Boyd, Stringer are 23-27, from 2018-2022

Agree with this . If we target someone 28 and over, what would the point be?
We need games into Roberts and Talia who've had plenty of development time .
We have a development coach who is pretty decent

Webby
14-03-2015, 12:34 AM

Yeah, North Melbourne did that in the late 1980s. They stripped back, went young and had probably their worst 5 years in a generation between 88 & 92 prior to playing finals every year from 93 to 01.

Then there was Hawthorn who stripped back at the end of 01. They had their worst 5 season block in 3 generations between 02 & 06 prior to making 4 GFs and winning 3 flags in 7 years between '08 & '14.

I think we need to stay patient, stay brave and stick to the course. We're past halfway, so it'd be silly to bottle it now!

Remi Moses
14-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Funny hearing Gordon derided by that pilick Greg Denham for aiming for 10 years of sustained success and Luke B being a great coach,yet Mcchins claims the pies can win the flag and is lauded. Gotta love the AFL media and Denham unfortunately draws a wage from speaking absolute Drivel