PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs finalise 2015 leadership group

bornadog
19-01-2015, 02:03 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-01-19/bulldogs-finalise-2015-leadership-group)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2015%20-%20Galleries/WB%20Player%20Portraits/357102-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

The Western Bulldogs have finalised their leadership group for the 2015 season, with defender Jordan Roughead named as the Club’s Vice-Captain.

The 24-year-old is joined by veterans Dale Morris and Matthew Boyd as well as midfielder Tom Liberatore in a peer-voted, coach approved five-man leadership group.

Morris and Boyd, with over 430 games of experience between them add some valuable experience to support newly appointed Captain Bob Murphy, and Liberatore enters the group as the youngest member at 22-years of age.

Senior Coach Luke Beveridge said Roughead was a standout choice to assume the vice captaincy and is held in high regard at the Club for his leadership abilities and professional behaviours.

“He’s (Roughead) a really respected young man, he’s been at the club for a number of years now,” Beveridge said.

“It’s a great sign that our younger players are progressing, they’re maturing.”

Roughead said he felt honoured to be voted in as Vice-Captain and that he was up for the challenge to help guide a motivated and talented group of players.

“I am humbled to be given the opportunity and great responsibility to support Bob to best lead my teammates back up the ladder,” Roughead said.

“With the inclusion of Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris and Tom Liberatore we feel the group represents a great mix of experience and valuable leadership capabilities.”

Roughead, recruited to the Bulldogs in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft at pick number 31, has played 72 games since debuting in 2010.

bornadog
19-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Congratulations to Roughie, future Captain.

Ozza
19-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Well done Rough. Good to see a leader of the younger generation of players in there.

Also good to see LIbba in the leadership group - as he appears to be so well respected, and a leader in how he goes about it (dare I say somewhat of a spiritual leader).

bornadog
19-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Big turnaround for Libba, has worked hard and deserves it at age 22.

azabob
19-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Big turnaround for Libba, has worked hard and deserves it at age 22.

Well said BAD.

Ghost Dog
19-01-2015, 04:59 PM
New moustache at the Whitten Oval. Not since Ben Hudson's beard commanded respect around the club has there been a serious replacement. Now, Roughie Mo' puts its whiskers up to take the beard's place. Is there a consensus on this latest follicle recruit? or are we divided.

LostDoggy
19-01-2015, 05:17 PM
I think the mo looks stupid and should have been shaved off before he was put before the media representing the club

GVGjr
19-01-2015, 07:02 PM
I think the mo looks stupid and should have been shaved off before he was put before the media representing the club

I saw him on Saturday and I think he had cleaned off the mo or at least it didn't look as cheesy. I just checked the clubs website and yes he could have had a shave before the photo with Bob.

GVGjr
19-01-2015, 07:43 PM
I can recall Roughead in his first season playing for Williamstown and at a quarter time break he was calmly telling one of the players that he had been in the wrong positions during the quarter. Very impressed with Roughead.

Just watching the Roughead and Murphy interview and I laughed when Murph mention that the back line was taking over the club referring it as the Mens department.

Go_Dogs
19-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Well done to Roughie, and Libba, for their appointments.

AndrewP6
19-01-2015, 08:32 PM
The Mo must go. Looks absurd.

G-Mo77
19-01-2015, 09:00 PM
2 excellent young individuals who bleed red, white and blue in Roughy and Libba with some experience from Morris and Boyd who have been fantastic servants. Very happy with this news. I really don't put much into "leadership" groups but with guys like Roughy and Libba in their shows they're the guys next in line which I think will be a very important role in 2 - 3 years time. I thought Wallis may have been apart of it as well.

bulldogtragic
19-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Play Roughy forward now, I know you can (future) captain from defence. But a big guy rucking and forward as captain has the ability to lift a side.

F'scary
20-01-2015, 12:15 AM

He was just trying to turn Shocktober into MOctober.

To ease the pain for us all a little.

F'scary
20-01-2015, 12:18 AM
I really glad to see Morris and Boyd Snr in the leadership group. Seemed like a part of the problem leading up to Shocktober was that the older players were feeling unvalued.

bornadog
20-01-2015, 09:45 AM
The Mo must go. Looks absurd.

on your avatar - nah looks great :D

Rocco Jones
20-01-2015, 11:00 AM
The guy played a season with one functional arm, I will allow him a dodgy mo.

LostDoggy
20-01-2015, 01:42 PM
The guy played a season with one functional arm, I will allow him a dodgy mo.
Would rather have watched Roberts or down back last year,The amount of goals that were kicked on him in the second half of the year playing with one arm was nearly as absurd as the mo he is wearing, playing with one arm is hardly a reason to look silly when representing the club.

Twodogs
20-01-2015, 10:33 PM
He does look quite silly.

AndrewP6
21-01-2015, 01:47 AM
on your avatar - nah looks great :D

Basil's mo did look silly, but I wouldn't be game enough to tell him!

jeemak
21-01-2015, 02:27 AM
2 excellent young individuals who bleed red, white and blue in Roughy and Libba with some experience from Morris and Boyd who have been fantastic servants. Very happy with this news. I really don't put much into "leadership" groups but with guys like Roughy and Libba in their shows they're the guys next in line which I think will be a very important role in 2 - 3 years time. I thought Wallis may have been apart of it as well.

Yep, agreed. Spontaneous drug issues or personal grooming issues notwithstanding it seems we've gone for two players that have the respect of the playing group.

Which leads me to my next point.....can anyone in this day and age seriously be so shallow as to worry about how a guy's facial hair might ruin promotional photos, or even matter in the slightest? We're at a point where many players - most likely from our club - decide to grow moustaches from time to time without it affecting their performances. Coinciding with that, we probably have a few more players than we'd like to admit who would...........

Get over it. The generations coming through are different to how many of us (especially me, I never had a Roughy shaved moustache) were in year's gone by and have a different attitude towards a lot of other things.

1eyedog
21-01-2015, 07:44 AM
I like the mo - very Bavarian.

Axe Man
21-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Yep, agreed. Spontaneous drug issues or personal grooming issues notwithstanding it seems we've gone for two players that have the respect of the playing group.

Which leads me to my next point.....can anyone in this day and age seriously be so shallow as to worry about how a guy's facial hair might ruin promotional photos, or even matter in the slightest? We're at a point where many players - most likely from our club - decide to grow moustaches from time to time without it affecting their performances. Coinciding with that, we probably have a few more players than we'd like to admit who would...........

Get over it. The generations coming through are different to how many of us (especially me, I never had a Roughy shaved moustache) were in year's gone by and have a different attitude towards a lot of other things.

Agreed, who cares, it's not like he's got a neck tattoo. Two of the greatest players of all time in Leigh Matthews and Gary Ablett Senior sported moustaches during their career, didn't seem hurt their performance too much.

Remi Moses
21-01-2015, 12:08 PM
I mean really who gives a flying about his facial hair :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
21-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Agreed, who cares, it's not like he's got a neck tattoo. Two of the greatest players of all time in Leigh Matthews and Gary Ablett Senior sported moustaches during their career, didn't seem hurt their performance too much.

There are a few reasons military and police departments around the globe adopt a grooming policy. Partly for hygienic reasons living in such close proximity to one another, partly to remain as anonymous as possible. But the main reason is to take away individuality, by following the rules they will achieve their collective cause which is greater than the individual's. An individual does not run onto a beach and up a cliff face under heavy fire, but a soldier does. I also think a clean shaven look is far more intimidating to opponents rather than looking like the lead singer from Thirsty Mirc, who would be more at home in a cafe in Fitzroy making long Macchiato's then rag-dolling the opponent on the footy field!

Not saying we should all have crew cuts, long way to say that Rough and TC's mo's look shite and should be hastily removed.

Axe Man
21-01-2015, 06:59 PM
There are a few reasons military and police departments around the globe adopt a grooming policy. Partly for hygienic reasons living in such close proximity to one another, partly to remain as anonymous as possible. But the main reason is to take away individuality, by following the rules they will achieve their collective cause which is greater than the individual's. An individual does not run onto a beach and up a cliff face under heavy fire, but a soldier does. I also think a clean shaven look is far more intimidating to opponents rather than looking like the lead singer from Thirsty Mirc, who would be more at home in a cafe in Fitzroy making long Macchiato's then rag-dolling the opponent on the footy field!

Not saying we should all have crew cuts, long way to say that Rough and TC's mo's look shite and should be hastily removed.

I pretty much completely disagree with you in the context of a football team. I've played a fair bit of footy and I think you need a blend of different personalities to be successful. Some leaders, some followers; some loud, some quiet; some jokers, some serious. I couldn't think of anything worse than a pack of drones. As long as a player is doing all the right things in relation to their football (on field, training, diet, recovery, etc) and not creating any unwanted attention through anti-social/illegal behaviour, then peripheral things like hair cuts, fashion sense, musical taste, religious beliefs, etc are irrelevant for mine.

Basically I think there is plenty of room for individuality within a team environment. Of course there is a tipping point where it can go too far (Aker, many NFL/NBA players for example), but I think that is a rare occurrence in AFL.

Personally, I don't necessarily agree with Roughy's moustache, but I will defend to the death his right to wear it!:)

Maddog37
21-01-2015, 07:39 PM
I pretty much completely disagree with you in the context of a football team. I've played a fair bit of footy and I think you need a blend of different personalities to be successful. Some leaders, some followers; some loud, some quiet; some jokers, some serious. I couldn't think of anything worse than a pack of drones. As long as a player is doing all the right things in relation to their football (on field, training, diet, recovery, etc) and not creating any unwanted attention through anti-social/illegal behaviour, then peripheral things like hair cuts, fashion sense, musical taste, religious beliefs, etc are irrelevant for mine.

Basically I think there is plenty of room for individuality within a team environment. Of course there is a tipping point where it can go too far (Aker, many NFL/NBA players for example), but I think that is a rare occurrence in AFL.

Personally, I don't necessarily agree with Roughy's moustache, but I will defend to the death his right to wear it!:)

Interesting point. I feel Macca tended to want a cookie cutter approach to the personalities of his players and subsequently took some of the enjoyment out of the game for some of the squad. Not having a go at Macca in saying this as I reckon he tried his best at all times.

josie
21-01-2015, 09:04 PM
I just love how WOOFers are debating about facial hair. This must be the off-season.

I think a bit of freedom & individuality is healthy. As long as there are no snakeskin footy boots. Can any other WOOFers remember Nick Cage's Wild at Heart character?

Good luck & Congrats to Libba and Roughie (and Moz & M.Boyd). The fact that the team helped choose them speaks volumes to me. With Bob as Captain this makes a great leadership group.

And long live the People's Moustache.

bornadog
22-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Interesting point. I feel Macca tended to want a cookie cutter approach to the personalities of his players and subsequently took some of the enjoyment out of the game for some of the squad. Not having a go at Macca in saying this as I reckon he tried his best at all times.

Macca gave up on Sheerman when he saw his tattoos down his chest. That ruined any career he had in football.

Twodogs
22-01-2015, 01:07 AM
Boyd sr should get particular congrats. He's gone from a one year extension to is contract then into the leadership group. That's a big turn around.

hujsh
22-01-2015, 01:29 AM

Yes, let's take away any sense of personal identity. Can we also retroactively shave Ben Hudson and lobotomize Robert Murphy?

I doubt anyone is more or less intimidated by the 200cm 100kg man because of a presence or absence of his moustache.