PDA

View Full Version : Where will we finish.

chef
24-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Can see us starting brightly, but then fading badly with our very young squad.

Bottom two is where we'll end up unfortunately.

Go_Dogs
24-01-2015, 02:26 PM
I can see us finishing about 12-15th.

Whilst we've lost some prime movers I'm optimistic we're going to structure up better both up forward and down back, which should help.

We also have quite a few players who should be able to somewhat fill the gap created by the departures, however consistency will be the struggle.

bulldogtragic
24-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I think it's another lean year ahead, but in a positive sense. Some awful years a team can regress and lose badly. Some lean years the advancement of individual players, experience and playing the way the coach wants consistently balances out the losses. I think it will be a much better year, but not on the ladder. If that makes sense?

Twodogs
24-01-2015, 02:41 PM
I think we will surprise. I've been to probably half the sessions this preseason and things are much brighter this year. There is an air of players really enjoying what they are doing and competing with each other to do things better.

I worry about how young we are and how that can mean wild variations in form during the year and an almost certain drop off at the end of the season but I'm upbeat on our chances.

Smads57
24-01-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm thinking bottom three, but can see myself enjoying watching the performance of the various talented players we have over the season. Hopefully they'll improve both individually and as team players.

bornadog
24-01-2015, 02:49 PM
I think we will surprise. I've been to probably half the sessions this preseason and things are much brighter this year. There is an air of players really enjoying what they are doing and competing with each other to do things better.

I worry about how young we are and how that can mean wild variations in form during the year and an almost certain drop off at the end of the season but I'm upbeat on our chances.

Me too. This year I am going to be bullish and that is why I am predicting close to finishing in the top 8. Probably will be close in the end.

AndrewP6
24-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Can't see us getting higher than 14-15 just yet.

boydogs
24-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Voted 10-11. Think we would need a lot to go right to make the 8, things like Boyd kicking 40, Campbell holding down 2nd ruck as a viable forward option, Talia holding down CHB, Jong playing seniors, Smith & Prudden coming back, Biggs & Darley making it.

G-Mo77
24-01-2015, 04:18 PM
I can't put down last but IMO we'll be fighting St. Kilda for that spoon.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-01-2015, 04:24 PM
I can't put down last but IMO we'll be fighting St. Kilda for that spoon.

I tend to agree.

I don't think it'll be a disaster of a year. We'll find out a lot about a number of our younger fringe players and we need to. There will be some surprise performers and undoubtedly some disappointments who may find themselves delisted. It's an important year for the club and whilst it is a results driven business, for a realistic fan it should be an enjoyable one.

I think we're likely to copy Port Adelaide's rise in the long run. I don't see us gradually moving up the ladder, I can see us "shocking the football world" by storming up the ladder but we need another year or two before that can happen.

Testekill
24-01-2015, 04:30 PM
I think in that 12-15 range. I still think that GWS is honestly pretty bad, St Kilda are just as bad and Melbourne is marginally better than either of them.

bornadog
24-01-2015, 05:45 PM
things like Boyd kicking 40,

I am expecting no less than 60 on that salary :D

The Underdog
24-01-2015, 05:58 PM
I am expecting no less than 60 on that salary :D

Pretty sure he's still on his rookie contract and isn't on big bucks until 2016. So he only needs to give us 25-30 this year before next years ton :)

GVGjr
24-01-2015, 06:01 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if we finished in the bottom 4 teams but with a bit of a run it could be so much higher.

It all depends on some of the younger guys grabbing their opportunities. It's such an inexperienced list though that lacks star players.

LostDoggy
24-01-2015, 06:43 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if we finished in the bottom 4 teams but with a bit of a run it could be so much higher.

It all depends on some of the younger guys grabbing their opportunities. It's such an inexperienced list though that lacks star players.

I think we need to finish bottom 4, we really need another top 3-4 pick before going back up I reckon. Of course id rather see us win more games but if we can get another high pick.

GVGjr
24-01-2015, 06:46 PM
I think we need to finish bottom 4, we really need another top 3-4 pick before going back up I reckon. Of course id rather see us win more games but if we can get another high pick.

It's a way of advocating a tanking season which I'm never comfortable with. I'd prefer us to win as many games as we can rather than holding out that we will get an early pick.

Twodogs
24-01-2015, 06:51 PM
It depends on if we get improvement at Footscray from any players like Talia/Roberts/Jong/Campbell's/Cordy/Redpath/Hunter/Honeychurch/Smith/Darley/Fuller/Grant/Hrovat/Hamling/Prudden/Kelly that can drive improvement in the senior team. Also the players recruited to the club over the draft/Trade period should improve the team. Guys like Boyd and Biggs should be starting 22 and hopefully a couple of the drafted kids Wil have an impact early on like players have from the last couple of drafts. I'd love to see Caleb Daniel slot into the AFL and look like he's been playing it for years.

I wouldn't be surprised where we finish this year. But I'm more pumped for footy season than I have been in years.

F'scary
24-01-2015, 08:36 PM
This is my annual attempt at guessing our wins for the season. You can save the excel spreadsheet if you want to put in your own probabilities for each match (expressed as a percentage) and comments supporting your forecast.

7.5 wins = about 14-15th on the ladder.

F'scary
24-01-2015, 09:14 PM
This is my annual attempt at guessing our wins for the season. You can save the excel spreadsheet if you want to put in your own probabilities for each match (expressed as a percentage) and comments supporting your forecast.

7.5 wins = about 14-15th on the ladder.

Just noticed that I mistook Adelaide Oval (AO) for Canberra. Revised the probability downwards accordingly but doesn't make much difference: 7.3 wins as opposed to 7.5 wins before. I think that implies we will win 7 matches as opposed to 7 matches plus a draw :)

boydogs
25-01-2015, 12:16 AM
Very conservative there F'Scary. I think you have severely overrated Collingwood & Gold Coast, we beat them both in 2014 and we can do it again. You've got the same rating against Brisbane both home and away. I think we're a 50/50 chance against West Coast & Adelaide in rounds 1 & 4, both at home against interstate sides outside of the 8

F'scary
25-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Very conservative there F'Scary. I think you have severely overrated Collingwood & Gold Coast, we beat them both in 2014 and we can do it again. You've got the same rating against Brisbane both home and away. I think we're a 50/50 chance against West Coast & Adelaide in rounds 1 & 4, both at home against interstate sides outside of the 8

I like your thinking and I adjusted the percentages as you suggest and also made us 50/50 for GC, 40% for Coll and Ess. New result is 8.5 wins which would take us a rung or two above where we finished this year and would have us genuinely "snapping at the heels of the pack" chasing finals spots in 2016.

You are right, I think, I am being pretty conservative - I only have us winning 4 of the 6 "easiest" games. If I increase our probability of beating Stk and Melb from 2/3 to 3/4 and increase BL at home to 2/3, we come to 9 wins - which could have us finishing as high as 10th (2011 we finished 10th with 9 wins, e.g.)

Bulldog Joe
25-01-2015, 11:45 AM
I am generally optimistic and look for the positives.

In our first 9 games we have 7 that are winnable, with only Hawthorn and Sydney away looking impossible.

West Coast, Richmond and Adelaide are certainly games we could win, while Fremantle may depend on how they come up. We should win over St Kilda, Melbourne and GWS.

Get some early wins and the confidence that it brings and finals are possible.

w3design
25-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Really hard to predict this year.

going by last season and list changes bottom 4 or 5 a formality.

improvement in most of the following:
bonti
mc crae
stringer
wallis
hunter
tallia
roberts
redpath
and we could surprise more than a few

BornInDroopSt'54
25-01-2015, 01:08 PM
I predicted that we finish 14-15 but I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed if we finished lower. This year is not about wins but development. I would hate for supporters to turn on the club and Beveridge if we finished in 17th or even bottom. I can imagine a scenario where things don't go our way and those that finished below us last season improve to win more games than us, we finish down the bottom, yet in a couple of seasons we rocket up.

mjp
25-01-2015, 05:09 PM
We will be on the fringes of finals action.

There will be some cheap wins against teams that aren't quite prepared for the changes in game-style etc and whilst there is the potential for some almighty beltings our contested ball/tackling numbers over the past couple of years have been strong enough that if our ball movement is even OK we will be competitive.

Backline is a worry but forward line has the potential to create a lot of match-up problems - assuming that Stringer continues to develop. As much as Crameri can be infuriating if he and Stringer are both playing forward, leading high, pushing deep and generally running hard they are going to be incredibly hard to counter...not too many teams have suitable match-ups for one player like those guys let alone two...we could actually kick some pretty reasonable scores. If you think Bontempelli can play the same role as well then our forwards will feature 3 strong marking players with midfield like running capabilities - who is going to play on them? Try and do the match-ups vs Hawthorn and even the premiers will struggle for personnel...but the perennial question since Eade's last year (how will our ball movement inside 50m look) will determine our success or otherwise.

I don't know. Defensively we are still a concern but if Roughead plays down there he is capable enough and if Hamling is even average - coupled with Morris and Murphy we might just be OK.

ratsmac
25-01-2015, 09:22 PM
14-16 for mine. This is probably the pessimist in me thinking we will finish low. But in saying that I am quietly confident that we will get some surprise wins. Like a lot of people on here though I think we will lose a few because of the youth and inexperience in the team. I am very excited about this up and coming season to see our future unfolding before our eyes.

F'scary
25-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Boydogs & MJP have got me thinking more bull(dog)ishly.

Game style and tactics: it has all changed. We have a new coach with a distinctly different approach.

Player spirit: there were big problems off the track last year as we all know. That is clearly in the past now.

Bookends: we have the bookends in Boyd Jnr and Roughead.

CHF: Redpath is going to play the position aggressively and will be one of the most mentioned "bad" guys in the media in 2015. Get ready for the "the Widow-Maker."

CHB: Talia is cherry ripe to emerge as a KPB in 2015. Hamling will grab his chances as another tall back, he is mobile, good overhead and, very importantly, a scrapper.

Other backs: we've got that covered with proven performers in Murphy, Morris, Wood & Picken. Add Biggs in, he is going to be a find.

Midfield quality: Bonti is going to be a monster this year in the centre or RR. Crameri is moving into the midfield, that is where he will primarily play this year - Crameri will give us a cruisin' for a bruisin' line-breaking edge that we thought was lost when the Grifter bailed. Macrae will go up another notch in his 3rd season, the Coondog of 2014 won't be missed. Libba the 2nd is a star. Wallis will be even better in 2015 than he was before the foot injury in 2014. Hrovat will emerge as a star rover.

Midfield depth: Boyd Snr had a big season in 2014 and will still be going strong in 2015. Koby Stevens is a tough, versatile, big bodied mid now with 50 games under his belt. Jong, another big bodied mid has pace to burn and looks like he will be better in 2015. Hunter & Dahlhaus can rotate through the midfield as well as play forward. JJ will continue to improve - he's got the pace, he has to be one of the fastest from a standing start in the competition.

Rucks: Minson looks like he will be back to 2013 AA form. He is trimmer and moving much more freely than 12 months ago. We have Tom Campbell as back up, he is getting better and better, has the tools and can play as a marking forward too.

Forwards: Stringer will kill them this year - he will be getting the 3rd best bigger defender now, they won't be able to hold him. We have some good options for medium sized, skillful types in Grant, Dickson & Hunter - and they all can take an overhead mark too. Dahlhaus is a proven goalsneak, we may even have the luxury of being able to play him primarily in this role this year.

Surprise packets: I guess from training track form, I've already identified Redpath as a surprise packet, but for those who are not aware, Josh Prudden has beefed up noticeably - he is looking more and more like Matt Boyd. If he can stay fit we may have another AFL standard inside-mid by the end of the season and one who is a good kick of the ball.

Things can turn around quickly from season to season. The experts get proven wrong year after year.

Remi Moses
25-01-2015, 11:29 PM
I'm still advocating we'll finish bottom 4 to 6, but rather pleased we're adopting a quicker game style.
Just reckon with that many players under 100 games that the season becomes a slog in the latter parts .
The backline worries me, as it's full of question marks on players .

SonofScray
26-01-2015, 09:11 AM
I feel obliged to vote Premiers for the sake of fanaticism.

Trying to be objective and allowing for the fact the age profile of our list has only got younger this off season (2nd only to GWS?) I'm thinking 6 wins would be a reasonable guess. If we're in the game more regularly, with luck and solid improvement from our key guys like Stringer, a match winner IMO, we might get a few extra.

LostDoggy
02-02-2015, 07:41 PM
$13 top 8
$251 top 4
Why not?

Scraggers
02-02-2015, 10:21 PM
I voted 10-11 ... I think we will improve but finals are two seasons away.

Bulldog4life
02-02-2015, 10:26 PM
The optimist in my says 8-9. The pessimist in me is not allowed to vote.

LostDoggy
03-02-2015, 06:57 PM
I feel obliged to vote Premiers for the sake of fanaticism.

Exactly. Couldn't rightfully vote us any lower. Shoot for the top, I reckon, but be happy wherever we land. Higher up the ladder with an undermanned defence and the second-youngest list speaks well for the future. Lower down the ladder picking up more stars in the draft speaks well for the future.

My prediction: Speaking well for the future.

Mantis
04-03-2015, 09:44 AM
I can't see us getting out of the bottom 3.

Losing Libba is going to really hurt and could potentially cost us another 2 or 3 wins.. I can't see us getting more than 3 to 5 wins and at the moment we probably wouldn't be starting favourite against anyone.

Thank god we have some really good kids who we can watch develop.

bulldogtragic
04-03-2015, 10:56 AM
I can't see us getting out of the bottom 3.

Losing Libba is going to really hurt and could potentially cost us another 2 or 3 wins.. I can't see us getting more than 3 to 5 wins and at the moment we probably wouldn't be starting favourite against anyone.

Thank god we have some really good kids who we can watch develop.

Agree watching the kids develop is the best view of the year and always was. The byproduct of a low finish is a pick in the top 3 and 25 and a PSD pick 3. That's wonderful for drafting quality kids or great ammo for Jason McCartney to pry a kid away from a club (say GWS) with the threat of us landing them for free. Don't get me wrong Id rather win all year, but the kids showing glimpses of what's to come and a trade/draft teams in another strong position is investment in the future.

LostDoggy
04-03-2015, 11:49 AM
I can see us finishing atop of St Kilda and unfortunately no one else. Very tough year ahead of us but football is like family, they can frustrate, annoy, invoke rage but you still love them, support them and are proud of them.

Bulldog4life
04-03-2015, 01:35 PM
I can see us finishing atop of St Kilda and unfortunately no one else. Very tough year ahead of us but football is like family, they can frustrate, annoy, invoke rage but you still love them, support them and are proud of them.

Ah yes those teenage years...shudder....

KT31
09-03-2015, 10:21 AM
I went with 14 - 15 with some hope we may creep a spot or two above that with the decent draw.
Ultimately the position we finish this season is not really important ( lower the better for a decent pick;))), its is the way we perform and getting matches into our young and inexperienced side.
I see us above Melbourne, Carlton, St-Kilda and one team always seems to drop with injuries etc, I also cant see Essendon having a very successful season either.

Twodogs
09-03-2015, 10:38 AM
I went with 14 - 15 with some hope we may creep a spot or two above that with the decent draw.
Ultimately the position we finish this season is not really important ( lower the better for a decent pick;))), its is the way we perform and getting matches into our young and inexperienced side.
I see us above Melbourne, Carlton, St-Kilda and one team always seems to drop with injuries etc, I also cant see Essendon having a very successful season either.

North.

Ghost Dog
09-03-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm bullish every year, but need a bit of room to move this time, so I'm saying second from bottom of the ladder. Look forward to a pleasant surprise. The only problem is Carlton seem on track for a miserable year and It's hard to see us being worse than them.

We lack a decent backline, but it's coming. Going to very much enjoy watching Caleb Daniels hunt the packs.

hotdog
10-03-2015, 09:44 PM
I think we are in for a tough year. Bottom 4 for mine most probably bottom 2. Was interesting hearing Bob talk at the family day (via video for me anyway). He talked about 2006 being a wild ride. He described the playing list like wild brumbies let loose from memory. Considering we were awful 01, 02, 03 and 04 rose a bit in 05 then exploded in 06 how do we sit now? Sliding in 11, 12 awful 13 and 14 rise a bit in 16 explode in 17 and challenge for a flag 18 and 19 ? Happy to wait if that is the cycle. Just trying to rationalise in my mind when we will be a force and I can get really excited...

Bulldog Joe
11-03-2015, 12:04 AM
I think we are in for a tough year. Bottom 4 for mine most probably bottom 2. Was interesting hearing Bob talk at the family day (via video for me anyway). He talked about 2006 being a wild ride. He described the playing list like wild brumbies let loose from memory. Considering we were awful 01, 02, 03 and 04 rose a bit in 05 then exploded in 06 how do we sit now? Sliding in 11, 12 awful 13 and 14 rise a bit in 16 explode in 17 and challenge for a flag 18 and 19 ? Happy to wait if that is the cycle. Just trying to rationalise in my mind when we will be a force and I can get really excited...

Don't wait.

Get excited now.

We have some very good talent and despite the loss of Liberatore we will be at worst competitive with all but the very best sides.

Around mid season we can be in the 8 or very close.

Look at our fixture and there are a minimum of 6 winnable games in the first 9 with a further 3 in the next 4.

By no means am I suggesting we are flag contenders, but be prepared for us to surprise on the upside.

bulldogtragic
11-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Don't wait.

Get excited now.

We have some very good talent and despite the loss of Liberatore we will be at worst competitive with all but the very best sides.

Around mid season we can be in the 8 or very close.

Look at our fixture and there are a minimum of 6 winnable games in the first 9 with a further 3 in the next 4.

By no means am I suggesting we are flag contenders, but be prepared for us to surprise on the upside.

I'm all for hope at this time of year, but I hate the term 'winnable games'. We were meant to have an easy draw last year and the one previous with Melbourne & GWS twice each. Turned out not so winnable...

Greystache
11-03-2015, 11:03 PM
I think 15th is about the mark. I'm expecting some runs of bad losses, but I'm hoping that will be balanced out by a run or two of wins against decent teams. 7-8 wins for the season.

Bulldog Joe
12-03-2015, 12:17 AM
I'm all for hope at this time of year, but I hate the term 'winnable games'. We were meant to have an easy draw last year and the one previous with Melbourne & GWS twice each. Turned out not so winnable...

The improvement this year is in the travel schedule in the early games. We avoid Perth until late in the year.
We only cop 2 six day breaks in the first 10 rounds and they are round 5 (Sydney) and round 9 (GWS).

The earlier schedule is much more friendly than 2014 was.

Remi Moses
12-03-2015, 01:29 AM
I think we'll be busily occupying Big Footy's Draft board by about June .
Be delighted by 8 wins, and I think we're bottom 4.
We've got great young talent, but the kids run out of gas by mid year.
Second youngest list is no excuse, but it's a pretty viable explanation .
It's one step back and about 5 forward in the next two to three years

Mofra
12-03-2015, 10:18 AM
If I could change my decision to second last, I would. We're simply too young to challenge most sides and we've lost our best player (Libba).
Toyd will take time and Stringer seems to have concentration issues at times, so if Macrae is tagged out of the game (and he's an accumulator with the lowest hurt factor with his disposals out of the top 15 possession getters in the league) we will be a lower than average skilled side getting our hands on the ball less than the opposition, with a shabby defensive set up.

I'm thinking we'll have flashes of brilliance during the year for a few minutes here or there but it will also look really really bad at times too

LostDoggy
12-03-2015, 01:55 PM
My biggest worry is with this new and approved game plan.

Sure, the run and carry play on at all costs and move the ball quickly mantra sounds fantastic and gets supporters excited. But this style of play will severly hurt our defensive structure, which let's be honest is already not very strong.

Adapting this mantra and additionally being able get back defensively is a huge task for the 2nd youngest team in the competition.

Beveridge has come from a seasoned team like Hawthorn, who do the above and still manage to hold up defensively due to being a seasoned team and they simply have the cattle.

This style increases the amount of 2 way running required. Which our young team just won't be able to achieve it for a full quarter let alone 4 quarters. If it was that easy every team would be doing it.

Remi Moses
12-03-2015, 06:39 PM
In fairness we had no defensive structure last season, and if we gained anything out of NAB 1 was the intercept marking was very high
Looked to me players new where to position themselves, which is a big improvement .

Webby
12-03-2015, 06:51 PM
In fairness we had no defensive structure last season, and if we gained anything out of NAB 1 was the intercept marking was very high
Looked to me players new where to position themselves, which is a big improvement .

I noticed that, too. Particularly with Talia. However, I do think the wind (and our knowledge of it... Geez I miss the WO home ground advantage) had a bit to do with it.

Mofra
13-03-2015, 11:45 AM
I did receive word from someone who normally gets good information - Bevo (as a former defensive coach) doesn't believe in pure "zoning" or "man on man" play, he teaches a mixture of the two so players will have to stop their opponent and ensure their 'zone' is covered. It's quite the challenge to get players playing that way so selection this year may simply be the players best able to adapt to this playing style rather than the most talented or best performed as if there is a weak link or two the whole system can break down.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-03-2015, 01:29 PM
I thinking that we will be around the 13th/14th position, I think that GWS & brisbane have drafted well and will improve from last year. While I think that Carlton will slide, Collingwood & Eagles to remain the same.

big improver this year will be Gold Coast, a fit Ablett and some very handy recruiting will see them run out the year and play finals.

Bulldog Joe
22-03-2015, 02:24 PM
With the NAB Challenge match against Collingwood over, does that change any perception of where we will finish.

Before Libba went down, I saw us as challenging for the 8.
Having being through the fixture, I believe we can win as many as 13 games, but it does depend on a quick start with 6 or 7 wins from the first 9 games.

After the performance against Collingwood, my confidence is restored and top 8 is a definite chance.

Bring on the season.

bornadog
22-03-2015, 06:26 PM
With the NAB Challenge match against Collingwood over, does that change any perception of where we will finish.

Having being through the fixture, I believe we can win as many as 13 games, but it does depend on a quick start with 6 or 7 wins from the first 9 games.

After the performance against Collingwood, my confidence is restored and top 8 is a definite chance.

Bring on the season.

I am with you BJ

LostDoggy
22-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Still in bottom 2-3 category for mine. As positive as yesterday was, it still counted for nought. I pray I am proven wrong, but I cant see us keeping up that pressure for a full season, we are too young. Status quo to last year will be a big positive and will set a great launch pad for the next few years.

F'scary
22-03-2015, 07:12 PM
With the NAB Challenge match against Collingwood over, does that change any perception of where we will finish...
Bring on the season.

I have gone back over what I wrote two months ago where after some disapprobation from boydogs on my original pessimistic selections, I re-evaluated certain fixtures and came up with 9 wins for the season based on an instinctual probability of winning per game method. I have only marginally altered my revised position to 9.5 wins (implies a draw somewhere!) but I am feeling more comfortable on the basis of the conservatism principle after the Collingwood NAB Cup game. So, something like a 10th-12th position finish.

G-Mo77
22-03-2015, 08:21 PM
I still think we'll be down the bottom end. This was a NAB cup game, while we did trounce the opposition and looked great doing it, it's not real footy. Carlton won two NAB cups Finals and finished last both times. It's not enough to change my prediction yet.

1eyedog
23-03-2015, 01:15 PM

Bring on the season.

I still give us a chance at finishing eigtht or ninth but a lot has to go right.

Maddog37
23-03-2015, 02:30 PM
I still reckon bottom four due to the age of the group and the arduous nature of the season. Looks like a fairly taxing gameplan too.

AndrewP6
23-03-2015, 05:03 PM
As fantastic as it was to see us trounce the Wobbles, it was only preseason. With the loss of Libba, and the flow on effect of more pressure on the young pups, coupled with the physical demands of the season (and new game style), I don't see how we'll go better than bottom three or four. That said, the win against the Pies showed what an exciting team we can be.

ratsmac
23-03-2015, 06:53 PM
I am still staying with my bottom 4 prediction as well. In saying that I wouldn't be surprised if we jumped a few spots higher with a couple of unexpected wins along the way. After the win against Collingwood the other night I am a bit more excited about this season than I was after the Richmond game.

Bulldog4life
23-03-2015, 09:02 PM
The optimist in my says 8-9. The pessimist in me is not allowed to vote.

The optimist has taken over. The pessimist is gone......We will finish 8th.

Ozza
24-03-2015, 09:32 AM
The optimist has taken over. The pessimist is gone......We will finish 8th.

This season has got 1997 written all over it....the lids off - top 4!! ;)

F'scary
24-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Bevo's got to keep a lid on it. We are not there yet, we still don't really know how strong we are relative to the rest of the competition. But we are probably not as weak as many have been thinking...including me.

LostDoggy
24-03-2015, 04:54 PM
This season has got 1997 written all over it....the lids off - top 4!! ;)

Could be right Ozza.
Don't know why but have a strong feeling we might just make the 8,and then anything is possible.

LostDoggy
25-03-2015, 10:40 AM
I notice Dwayne Russell has tipped the dogs for wooden spoon - surprise surprise!

Mantis
25-03-2015, 11:06 AM
I notice Dwayne Russell has tipped the dogs for wooden spoon - surprise surprise!

From the bloke who is the most irrelevant figure in sports media.. Who cares!

Greystache
25-03-2015, 03:23 PM

He was a better footballer than he is a media analyst, and he was a shithouse footballer!!

ledge
25-03-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm saying mid table maybe 8 th but if we did a Port Adelaide it wouldn't totally surprise me .
To be honest the players look like they are playing as mates and that kind of style you can't bottle.

w3design
26-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Bevo has this group firing. Their running style of game, backed up with multiple overlaps and defensive intensity as seen against Pies created lots of options. This game plan is in its infancy. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but they can only get better IMHO. Save for injuries I think we are a good chance for 8th. Once there anything could happen. GO DOGS!!!!!

turtle
26-03-2015, 07:59 PM
I just think the fact that we are so young is going to catch up with us in the back end of the season. Whilst I love the direction we are headed I think that next year will see the great leap forward. I expect 6-8 wins and to still finish bottom 4 but to take a few decent scalps along the way.
However a repeat of 97 (with the exception of its last 10 minutes) would be amazing

LostDoggy
27-03-2015, 02:05 PM
[quote=4by2;426195]i notice dwayne russell has tipped the dogs for wooden spoon - surprise surprise![/quote

WOT A DICK!!!!!

LostDoggy
27-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Ah yes those teenage years...shudder....

Like Aunt Selmas legs.

ratsmac
28-03-2015, 12:17 AM
[quote=4by2;426195]i notice dwayne russell has tipped the dogs for wooden spoon - surprise surprise![/quote

WOT A DICK!!!!!

That's what she said!

Sorry I couldn't resist. ;)

Before I Die
28-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Back to where will we finish.

Our backline looks stronger this year. A combination of a fitter Roughead, a better team defence approach and new recuits.

Our forward line looks stronger with the inclusion of Boyd and an improved (though still untested) Redpath.

The ruck division will be no weaker and possibly stronger this year.

Which leaves the midfield and the on ball smalls and mids. This group now lack experience, mature bodies and proven class with loss of the grifter, Cooney and Higgins. But it gains a willingness to run both ways and improved pressure plus there is no shortage of potential (not a dirty word) which is already starting to blossom.

The big test is how our young midfielders handle the physicality and hard tags that are going to come and how their bodies hold up to week after week of punishment,

I am predicting a small improvement win wise on last year with a few blowout losses and an end of season drop off. Final ladder position between 10th and 14th.

always right
28-03-2015, 11:27 PM
I don't see us climbing out of the bottom four and think we'll cop our share of thumpings. Strangely I expect to really enjoy the season as our new gameplan develops and our young stars build towards the future. I think it will be a fun year where we will surprise many teams and get over the top of some.

Remi Moses
29-03-2015, 12:09 AM
I don't see us finishing below the saints, and don't start me on Russell.

Eastdog
02-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Will be an interesting year for us I feel. We have a new coach with a new approach/game plan and from what we saw a bit in the pre season it's a bit more attacking. We have some good young talent coming through and still some experience around the traps which is important.

In saying all that I think will have our fair share of happy weeks and our fair share of down weeks. We are a younger side now and that is to be expected.

azabob
02-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Well summed up Eastie. The key is not to be too critical when we have the down weeks.

Bulldog4life
03-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Marngrook Footy Show - Western Bulldogs Preview (26.03.2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPP9GgA4V8

G-Mo77
03-04-2015, 10:14 AM
I don't see us finishing below the saints, and don't start me on Russell.

Why, what did Jordan Russell do? :D

Go_Dogs
03-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Well, we're still about 36 hours away from our first result, however if we manage to beat West Coast, and then knock the Tigers off next week, will anyone be revising where they have us finishing?

I voted 14-15 when the thread was started, however I've already formed a view we might be in that 12-13 range based on pre-season. A couple of early wins against teams that most have around the top 8 will be a huge boost.

Bulldog Joe
03-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Well, we're still about 36 hours away from our first result, however if we manage to beat West Coast, and then knock the Tigers off next week, will anyone be revising where they have us finishing?

I voted 14-15 when the thread was started, however I've already formed a view we might be in that 12-13 range based on pre-season. A couple of early wins against teams that most have around the top 8 will be a huge boost.

I am expecting a win over West Coast and give us a real chance against Richmond.
I predicted 8/9 and see no reason to change.

I did even have a small wager at $13 on us making the 8.
I even figure $501 for the flag was worth a $2 outlay.

Eastdog
03-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Just put my vote in. I reckon around 12-13th. I don't believe we are a bottom 4 team but we aren't a top 8 side either. In saying I reckon we can give a few sides a shock.

1eyedog
03-04-2015, 02:41 PM

If we can do this we will go +30,000 members easily.

HOSE B ROMERO
04-04-2015, 05:32 PM
16th. Ok, Ok 15th.

boydogs
04-04-2015, 11:52 PM
16th. Ok, Ok 15th.

14th? :D

G-Mo77
05-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Geez even a pessimist like me is starting to doubt my prediction of bottom few.

Stefcep
05-04-2015, 12:24 AM
Th coach said something like "We will push most teams".

I think he is right.

Contrary to people thinking we will fall away at the end, I think that will depend more on our depth and injuries than fitness. These boys look incredibly fit, strong arms, strong legs and big tanks. And their skill level is on another level

If we can maintain tonights level, then top 8 is a given.