PDA

View Full Version : Your memories of Attending Interstate Games

bornadog
30-01-2015, 05:36 PM
I haven't been to many interstate matches but have some great memories and some not so great. I have been to Darwin three times, Gabba, and Launceston. Hoping to go to more in the future.

One of the great things about interstate trips is the club functions where you can get up close to players, coaches etc as the attendance is not huge. Also meeting up with other Doggies fans (Go Easty), going to pubs where the fans are etc.

What are your memories, fun things, not so fun things on trips Interstate. Are you planning a trip this year?

Twodogs
30-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Dry Rot and I had an interesting night at a postmatch function up in Sydney one night...

SonofScray
30-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Went on the cheer squad bus up to Sydney in the mid 90s and caught the firefly up a few times as well for a family holiday. I can recall with the Club trip we had a choice of a day trip to the Blue Mountains or out to Australia's Wonderland. Pretty sure we got beaten. A Rocca was just starting out the last time I went.

Went to Canberra every year for about 5 years for the Sydney or GWS matches we played at Manuka. Probably my favourite away day to be honest, get to stand on the hill right on the fence and get right up in the opposition players faces. Coldest I've ever been at the footy was during Barry Hall's first season with us when we played up there.

Gold Coast Suns at Metricon Stadium, great place to watch footy from. The perfect away day, mid winter escape to Qld + footy + at that stage a lock for a win.

Tassie, great trip. Highly recommend going to the footy in Launceston in particular.

The thing I love about interstate games is the enhanced sense of tribalism. You make new friends just by being a Dogs fan, you feel the sort of pre game jitters and sense of occasion that are usually saved for finals time and get to get stuck in at the pub and just get a little bit more loose than you would at a home game. I can't wait for Adelaide Oval on the Queen's Birthday Weekend, looking forward to organising a pre game pub and meeting some new faces, having a pint with my friends travelling over.

Twodogs
30-01-2015, 08:44 PM
What's everyone's favourite interstate ground? I haven't been to Perth, Cairns or the ground in Hobart but I've been to all the others bar The Adelaide Oval.

My Favourite is Darwin. The layout of the ground is a lot like the Whitten Oval with a members side and an outer. Plus Darwin is a pretty insane place.

LostDoggy
30-01-2015, 10:40 PM
I Had a great experience at my one and only visit to the Gabba.

Round 20 2009 I planned a weekend away with the better half, which just happened to coincide with this match :D

Was a very important game for our top 4 aspirations, we had a key players out.. Cross, Griffen, Gia & Higgins from memory.

We were up by 40 odd points in the third quarter and playing very attractive footy, Gilbee and Eagleton were bombing long goals. Brisbane then pegged it back and it got with 10ish points in the final quarter with just a few minutes to go.

We were sitting in the forward pocket 2 rows back from the fence. Surrounded by Brisbane fans with no Dogs supporters in site. Of course they were letting Aker have it all game long. I kept quiet all game, behaving myself, until Aker slotted a left footer from the boundary right in front of me to seal the game, I had the perfect view of it.

I stood up, turned around and let out an almighty roar. I still remember my wife grabbing my arm and trying to pull me down!

Twodogs
30-01-2015, 11:17 PM
I Had a great experience at my one and only visit to the Gabba.

Round 20 2009 I planned a weekend away with the better half, which just happened to coincide with this match :D

Was a very important game for our top 4 aspirations, we had a key players out.. Cross, Griffen, Gia & Higgins from memory.

We were up by 40 odd points in the third quarter and playing very attractive footy, Gilbee and Eagleton were bombing long goals. Brisbane then pegged it back and it got with 10ish points in the final quarter with just a few minutes to go.

We were sitting in the forward pocket 2 rows back from the fence. Surrounded by Brisbane fans with no Dogs supporters in site. Of course they were letting Aker have it all game long. I kept quiet all game, behaving myself, until Aker slotted a left footer from the boundary right in front of me to seal the game, I had the perfect view of it.

I stood up, turned around and let out an almighty roar. I still remember my wife grabbing my arm and trying to pull me down!

I remember that well. Aker ran along the boundary line for a fair distance afterwards holding his finger up to his mouth giving the crowd the big shoosh.

The bulldog tragician
30-01-2015, 11:22 PM
I don't travel often to see the Dogs but these two (going back quite a way) stick in the memory bank:

Miserable memory: Sumich kicks 13 in an absolute shellacking in 89. I arrived at 1/4 time after a delayed flight, then endured a chortling taxi driver telling me the already awful score, and then had to sit in suffering silence. The Subiaco lights seemed unbelievably bright, and for the poor Dogs, there was nowhere to hide from the ugliness of a feral Perth crowd.

Happy memory: our first victory after the 89 Fightback, against the Sydney Swans at their home ground. I guess we'd all wondered if we'd hear our song again. Notable for the debut of a gangly but evidently talented kid called Leon Cameron, and the first time I'd really switched onto the thought that Tony Liberatore could not only make it as a player, but be a champion.

craigsahibee
31-01-2015, 03:06 AM
5 interstate trips for 5 wins.

Adelaide for Winmar's first game.
Sydney the year Libba copped a handful for sorting out Matthew Knights. I think the Sydney game was Libba's return.
Launceston in 2008. Great win against the eventual Premiers and just a really friendly town.
2 in Canberra in 2009 / 10. 2009 was the weekend before my 40th. $5 cans of draught in the outer meant that you didn't end the day with a pocketful of coins.

Considering Adelaide for Queens Birthday weekend this year.

Twodogs
31-01-2015, 08:25 AM
5 interstate trips for 5 wins.

Adelaide for Winmar's first game.
Sydney the year Libba copped a handful for sorting out Matthew Knights. I think the Sydney game was Libba's return.
Launceston in 2008. Great win against the eventual Premiers and just a really friendly town.
2 in Canberra in 2009 / 10. 2009 was the weekend before my 40th. $5 cans of draught in the outer meant that you didn't end the day with a pocketful of coins.

Considering Adelaide for Queens Birthday weekend this year.

Paul Kelly. Knights played for Richmond.

He was a busy boy, our Libba

1eyedog
31-01-2015, 11:08 AM
I was at Carrara when we played Brisbane in 1992. It was the game where Brisbane kicked their lowest ever score and we won easily. What a shite hole that ground was. Dangerous playing surface, players change rooms were demountables out on one wing and the most of the viewing area consisted of concrete steps all breaking apart with weeds growing out of cracks. There were maybe 4000 people there and most were ex-pat Victorian, young and drunk.

the most volatile ground I've ever been to was Football Park. Geez talk about escaping with your life! You simply couldn't barrack for the opposition at that ground back in the day.

bornadog
31-01-2015, 03:34 PM
When I was living in Asia back in the 90's, we would make trips back home and then go up to Hyatt Coolum for some R&R. One year we came back and low and behold the club was playing at Coolum resort against Brisbane in a practise match. What a surprise and treat that was.

Chicago1
31-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Went up to Sydney about four times in the 80s. Bus up Friday night, fly back Sunday after the match. Never saw us win up there. Loved the weekend away. Stayed with friends in Blackheath in the Blue Mountains. Lost a bit on the pokies every year at the Penrith Leagues Club. Good memories(except for the footy).

And, of course, I attended every West Coast Eagles match at the WACA and Subi while wearing my Footscray gear when I lived in Perth in 1989, barracking for every Victorian team - even Collingwood and Richmond - against the Eagles!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
31-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Had a great trip to Darwin - lots of people in Bulldog gear around the town. We stayed at the same hotel as the players so did a bit of stalking. Gave away some hats and scarves. At Aurora they had full strength beer in cans.

Twodogs
31-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Had a great trip to Darwin - lots of people in Bulldog gear around the town. We stayed at the same hotel as the players so did a bit of stalking. Gave away some hats and scarves. At Aurora they had full strength beer in cans.

And you can lean over the fence witha can of beer in your hand, watch the football, abuse Warren Tredrea and no one says anything.

craigsahibee
02-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Sorry, I should have explained it better. My first trip to Sydney was the year Libba got Knights in the game against the Tigers. His return game after the suspension was the game against Sydney at the SCG, which was the one I attemd

Twodogs
02-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Sorry, I should have explained it better. My first trip to Sydney was the year Libba got Knights in the game against the Tigers. His return game after the suspension was the game against Sydney at the SCG, which was the one I attemd

Gotcha. It made sense the first time now that I read it again,

LostDoggy
02-02-2015, 11:46 AM
I remember that well. Aker ran along the boundary line for a fair distance afterwards holding his finger up to his mouth giving the crowd the big shoosh.

Was that the game the Shermanator kicked about 3 monsters from outside 50m? I think that was the game that ended up getting him a contract with us!

Happy Days
02-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Was that the game the Shermanator kicked about 3 monsters from outside 50m? I think that was the game that ended up getting him a contract with us!

That was Josh Drummond wasn't it? What a shame his hamstrings couldn't stay attached to his body.

Wasn't there, but that Brisbane game was phenomenal. I've never heard so many people make go from 11 to 0 as when Aker kicked that goal.

bornadog
02-02-2015, 12:32 PM
That was Josh Drummond wasn't it? What a shame his hamstrings couldn't stay attached to his body.

Wasn't there, but that Brisbane game was phenomenal. I've never heard so many people make go from 11 to 0 as when Aker kicked that goal.

Unfortunately, my trip to the Gabba was the year before, ie 2008 when we lost by 11 points.

My daughter was away on camp that week, so I said to my wife, why don't we take a trip up to Brisbane on these frequent flyer points, and she said great idea. When we got there I said, by the way, I have two tickets to the Gabba on Saturday night. :D

My wife doesn't enjoy going to the footy, but will listen to it on the radio, so this was a real coup. She gave up going years earlier as we confronted too many dickheads at games. I said, don't worry we will be amongst Doggies supporters. Well, what do you know, there was one Brisbane supporter amongst a sea of doggies supporters. In the second half of the game he started stirring up the Dogs supporters, and was getting very drunk and generally making a real fool of himself, swearing and carrying on. People around him were telling him to shut up but he kept at it.

My wife doesn't suffer fools, she got up went and found security and next thing he was gone.

Disappointing loss after leading most of the night, but the experience was still ok. Ran into Aker39 who was sitting near by as well as a few other people I knew.

LostDoggy
02-02-2015, 01:03 PM

Spot on, I was living on the Gold Coast at the time and was pretty drunk, just remember thinking wow who's this bloke. Now makes me even angrier we gave up so much for Sherman!

Sedat
02-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Only been to 2 interstate games:

1999 at the Gabba against Brisbane was the infamous floodgate - one of the wettest games every held and also notable for Libba being charged for clawing at Craig McCrae's face and getting suspended. We won, I parked the car in the backyard of someone's house for $8 (same backyard that Tony Leonard from the Coodabeens also uses) and I managed to get into the ground without paying (with my AFL membership via an ignoramus at the ticket booth), so it was smiles all round.

2008 at Launceston against Hawthorn - another fantastic win on the road. Tom Williams showed glimpses of what he would never become that day by beating Buddy in about 4-5 one-on-ones (Buddy did get a few joe the gooses to pad his stats that game). Another very pleasant drive home that night.

Launceston is a fantastic place to watch the footy. The ground condition is immaculate, viewing is excellent at most vantage points and there is a terrific atmosphere from a well-informed crowd.

Mofra
02-02-2015, 01:40 PM
99 against the Swans, only Bulldog in the whole stand at the height of Libba-Kelly acrimony.

We got absolutely shellacked all day, every time Libba got the ball the whole crowd booed and there was a small moment of silence just after he kicked it which was Mofra's time to shine. The whole Sydney crowd were reminded on a regular basis by a slightly refreshed Mofra that Libba was a champion with a Brownlow medal from a non-relocated team.

Highlights were a mini-comeback in the last quarter, and Monti taking an absolute hangar.

bornadog
02-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Launceston is a fantastic place to watch the footy. The ground condition is immaculate, viewing is excellent at most vantage points and there is a terrific atmosphere from a well-informed crowd.

I went to the 2003 round 21 game against the Saints. Absolutely miserable day, raining all day, limited cover (before stands were built) and to top it off we kicked 3.12. Had to try and dry off before we went to the airport. Sat on the plane with the players going home. All seats were full except one spot next to Peter Rhode who didn't say a thing and of course was not a happy man. Players hardly talked the entire flight.

LostDoggy
02-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Yeah Drummond kicked a couple of rippers from memory.

The funny thing about it was I'm pretty sure Aker dropped a regulation mark so the crowd was giving it to him, then he gathers and slots it. Brilliant.

LostDoggy
02-02-2015, 03:37 PM

My brother is getting married in Tassy at the end of May. Just so happens Hawthorn and Gold Coast play that weekend also! So guess where all the guys are heading while the women stress and get ready!

Have heard from many it's a great ground to watch, looking forward to it!

Happy Days
02-02-2015, 05:20 PM
A friend of my girlfriend is living in Adelaide so we're going down to see us get shit kicked by the Power in June. Rest of the trip should be awesome.

Went to a game where we beat the Crows in 09, but it was at Footy Park so it no longer counts. Strongly recall a woman behind us recounting how she (ahem) "creamed" herself upon meeting Andrew McLeod and Mark Ricciuto. Eagleton was best on too, so only so much enjoyment could be taken from the day.

bornadog
02-02-2015, 06:49 PM
A friend of my girlfriend is living in Adelaide so we're going down to see us get shit kicked by the Power in June. Rest of the trip should be awesome.

Went to a game where we beat the Crows in 09, but it was at Footy Park so it no longer counts. Strongly recall a woman behind us recounting how she (ahem) "creamed" herself upon meeting Andrew McLeod and Mark Ricciuto. Eagleton was best on too, so only so much enjoyment could be taken from the day.

My mate drove to Footy Park once, came back to the car to find a screwdriver embedded in his bonnet - bloody ferral South Aussies. :D

Twodogs
02-02-2015, 07:29 PM
My mate drove to Footy Park once, came back to the car to find a screwdriver embedded in his bonnet - bloody ferral South Aussies. :D

Nice.

KT31
03-02-2015, 10:21 AM

Remember hearing a story about Jarman walking out after a game to find the ferals had mistaken his car as someones from the oppositions and trashed it, all because he had not changed his plates over from Vic to SA.

hotdog
03-02-2015, 01:52 PM
I have done Canberra v the Swans to see us belted on a cold Sunday afternoon. I think it was Mitch Wallace's first game from memory.

Having lived in WA for a stint I witnessed many miserable afternoons at WACA/ Subi verses the Eagles. It was when they were flying and Ben Cousins tore us apart every time. The first time was 1998 at the WACA. We got off to a flyer but they pegged us back. Good close game in the end but we lost what we should have won. Went the following year to Subi in 1999. We were a decent side from memory. Wore my vintage Steve McPherson jumper into town the day before. Got a big "Go Doggies" call from the heavens. Looked up to see big Dave from the cheersquad hanging out the window of a hotel waving his scarf. They were a terrible crowd in those days (not much has changed!). I remember walking to the ground and being abused every step of the way. I was quietly confident of a win but we were absolutely belted by slick Eagles outfit. Nothing went our way that night. I remember leaving the ground and was bemused at how eager some of their more passionate fans just loved to get in your face waving scarfs, f**K off back to Vic ya loser etc.. Was not pleasant at all. Vowed never to go again after that night.
I did venture back but it wasn't until 2008 V Docker. They were a terrible team and we should have flogged them but scrapped over the line in the end. Still a fairly parochial/ one sided crowd.
Now living in NSW. I see the odd Swans game as my son follows them. I did try to keep him a Dog but it was a tough sale as we were rubbish and they were winning flags :( At least he will not endure what I have had to being a Bulldog supporter all my life.Cant blame him for backing a winner. My daughter barracks for the Doggies though but I think she just feels sorry for me!

ReLoad
07-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Aw the WACA against the Chardonnay sippers in the late 90's

We kicked the first 8 goals with Grant and Hudson playing blinders. Sadly the Eagles kicked the next 11 and we were cooked.

That first quarter was about as good as it gets. Ended up sitting next to some Navy guys who were over from Williamstown, gee whiz they made me laugh, the locals did not like it one bit. They seriously have no idea how to barrack.

KT31
12-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Does this thread continuously comes up as an unread posts for anyone else ?

bornadog
12-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Does this thread continuously comes up as an unread posts for anyone else ?

I had that issue with another thread, so what I did was mark all threads read and it then disappeared.

KT31
12-02-2015, 12:22 PM
I had that issue with another thread, so what I did was mark all threads read and it then disappeared.

Thanks BAD, posting on the thread also corrected the issue.