PDA

View Full Version : Jason Akermanis considering AFL coaching tilt

bornadog
04-02-2015, 02:26 PM
One of the game's most polarising characters is positioning himself for a tilt at coaching in the AFL. Three-time premiership player and 2001 Brownlow Medalist Jason Akermanis is spending the week watching Mick Malthouse and his team at Carlton in order to gain a greater appreciation of the way football has developed since his career ended unceremoniously in 2010.
Akermanis, 37, has spent the past two years coaching North Albury in the Ovens and Murray League, and has an eye on a possible move to the professional coaching ranks.
He recently approached Malthouse for coaching guidance, which led to the veteran mentor inviting Akermanis to join the Blues for a week.

read more here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jason-akermanis-considering-afl-coaching-tilt-20150203-135her.html)

Has he got any chance to get a senior gig?

LostDoggy
04-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Wouldn't think so. Couldn't handle opposing views as a player, can't imagine he'd be any good as a coach.

Twodogs
04-02-2015, 02:49 PM
He should give Leading Teams a ring.

Remi Moses
04-02-2015, 03:13 PM
I'd give it 5 minutes until he " loses" the playing group

Greystache
04-02-2015, 03:32 PM
This is just laughable. He was too insecure to handle feedback as a player and as a result alienated everyone he ever played with, that would be magnified as a coach, as would the inevitable fallout.

I appreciate he's finding it hard to get work, but football is done with him.

Sedat
04-02-2015, 05:31 PM
A wise former boss said to me many years ago, "be nice to people on the way up, because you'll bump into them on the way back down" ;)

GVGjr
04-02-2015, 05:55 PM
He will find it hard to get back into the AFL which is of course his own doing but I still think if you could get a committed Aker he could do wonders if he was to work with just a few selected players to develop them. His work ethic, skills and ability to react in a game was impressive but we all know there is more to the coaching game than just talent.

bornadog
04-02-2015, 06:26 PM
He will find it hard to get back into the AFL which is of course his own doing but I still think if you could get a committed Aker he could do wonders if he was to work with just a few selected players to develop them. His work ethic, skills and ability to react in a game was impressive but we all know there is more to the coaching game than just talent.

He has coached in the Ovens and Murry league for the past two years, I wonder how he went and what were the impressions of players and staff there.

GVGjr
04-02-2015, 06:46 PM
He has coached in the Ovens and Murry league for the past two years, I wonder how he went and what were the impressions of players and staff there.

I think in an ideal scenario he should be looking at coaching a TAC side. If he did well with that then clubs might look past some of his past antics. I'm not sure country football is a good measuring stick in this instance.

bulldogtragic
04-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Name any club CEO or President that would trust their press conferences to Aker as their spokesperson?

I like him as a person and interesting guy, but I don't see him being trusted by a club to uphold their image.

GVGjr
04-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Name any club CEO or President that would trust their press conferences to Aker as their spokesperson?

I like him as a person and interesting guy, but I don't see him being trusted by a club to uphold their image.

It's certainly going to be a tough gig for him to get back into the system.

bulldogtragic
04-02-2015, 07:18 PM
It's certainly going to be a tough gig for him to get back into the system.

I just don't see it happening. No doubt his footy IQ is high, but that's only part of being any level coach these days. Ask Macca about the media and/or public comment side of being a brand representative.

Maddog37
04-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Yeah na.

Testekill
04-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Whatever came of him cyberstalking that umpire in the O&M league?