PDA

View Full Version : Hostile Bulldog crowds

SonofScray
07-02-2015, 02:02 AM
Thinking about Round 9 and the anticipated, perhaps unrivalled abuse our former captain can expect; I am interested in your recollections of really hostile and vocal Footscray crowds. Who has galvanised our typically quiet and forgiving group and found themselves fair and square public enemy no. 1 ?

I can recall an "Elliots a wanker" chant ringing around Telstra Dome post "tragic history" comments.
Nathan Brown gave our fans a bit of lip back which fired everyone up, he was not popular.
Captain Collapse from St Kilda gets a whack eery time he fronts up.

Any others stand out? I usually prefer we just support our Club but to be honest, nothing gets the blood pumping as a fan more than having someone to hate. It can be unifying. Looking forward to seeing over the top and nasty treatment of Griffen. Hopefully the crowd influence will encourage the players to inflict some pain on him.

Twodogs
07-02-2015, 05:48 AM
You could almost put post WHitten/prewhitten oval too. Whitten Oval in the old days could be a cold unfor giving place for an opposition player.

bulldogtragic
07-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Any time at a WO when the heat came on. The cold and rain primed everything as I remember, pretty sure when Danny Southern said the words 'welcome to the Western Oval' to Gardiner, everything inside the permiter fances was 'hostile'. If I recall correctly, Billy Kolynuik gave hell on top of what was expected of an aggressive team to play.

ReLoad
07-02-2015, 02:43 PM
The Demons when the came back the next year after Rod Grinter coat hangered and moved Terry Wallets face 2 inches to the left.

I had never heard anything like it, it was surreal, before the players ran out it was like any other game, and as soon as Melbourne came out the visitors race i saw about 30 blokes explode with tirades I've never heard nor seen since (and that includes a few Chelsea vs Spurs games)

its probably what I miss the most about the footy, we used to have one of the most feared road trips in the game, going to the Kennel was about as bad as it got, and I bloody loved it - even though we didn't win too many.

Twodogs
07-02-2015, 04:05 PM
That was a gutless, cowardly act that Grinter stooped too that day. One of the worst things I've seen.

bornadog
07-02-2015, 05:31 PM
In the 70's, Barry Rounds leg was deliberately broken by an Essendon player in the forward pocket, scoreboard end. What followed was a barrage of bear cans hurled over the fence. There must have been literally 100s thrown at the Essendon players and they really copped it. I have never seen an angrier crowd than that one.

bulldogsfight
07-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Remember this think it was essendooms don't mckenzie

bulldogsfight
07-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Second half v Ess in 2000 after Barnes had flattened johnno

bornadog
07-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Remember this think it was essendooms don't mckenzie

Yes it was.

Jeanette54
07-02-2015, 06:05 PM
In the old days at Western Oval we took care of our own, even in the crowd.

My Grandfather once went to the football with our next door neighbour, "Uncle" Noel. Grandad stood about 5'6" and Noel around 6'5" (ok I am too old to be metricated). Melbourne were getting a bit of a hiding, and Grandad and Noel were indulging in a bit of friendly byplay. Without warning a big gnarly hand was placed on Grandads shoulder from behind and a gruff voice followed.

"He's a bit big for you mate, leave him to me".

Hasty explanations were exchanged and all resumed happily. :rolleyes:

The bulldog tragician
07-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Second half v Ess in 2000 after Barnes had flattened johnno
Yes! That match had the most incredible atmosphere. There was a sense of something brewing all night. I somehow felt that night that some of the local boys in the team shared our traditional hatred of the Bombres - recent events have stirred that right up again for me.

As for the serve that Nathan Brown got, my young niece and nephew must have happily soaked it up, as the next day they were happily jumping on the trampoline together chanting: 'Browny is a winker'! (Something got a bit lost in translation..)

LostDoggy
07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Level 2, Aisle 28, Seat H1. Alert security now.

SonofScray
07-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Yes! That match had the most incredible atmosphere. There was a sense of something brewing all night. I somehow felt that night that some of the local boys in the team shared our traditional hatred of the Bombres - recent events have stirred that right up again for me.

As for the serve that Nathan Brown got, my young niece and nephew must have happily soaked it up, as the next day they were happily jumping on the trampoline together chanting: 'Browny is a winker'! (Something got a bit lost in translation..)

Winker! Fantastic.

Western Oval certainly was conducive to that sense of tribalism which assists in people feeling safe to act with some hostility towards the enemy. It is an element of being a Footscray fan that we have had to sacrifice in my lifetime as we've moved into a stadium we rarely fill that is shared with Clubs who seem to have more easily made it home.

Looking forward to those moments and that feeling making a return. You need a villain to draw it to. We've had one in Melbourne two seasons ago, with the brawl on the wing and I think the hatred for Griffen will reach fever pitch by R 9. Results and actual footy aside, I hope it is a day people forever remember.

Happy Days
07-02-2015, 09:43 PM
17,000 people will go to that game against GWS.

Feral crowds are really a relic of the past. Collingwood crowds are only feral because they have the most supporters, and more supporters = more dickheads.

Remi Moses
07-02-2015, 11:40 PM
Any time at a WO when the heat came on. The cold and rain primed everything as I remember, pretty sure when Danny Southern said the words 'welcome to the Western Oval' to Gardiner, everything inside the permiter fances was 'hostile'. If I recall correctly, Billy Kolynuik gave hell on top of what was expected of an aggressive team to play.

I was in the UK at the time ( pre Internet)upon hearing what happened I thought Gardiner had been king hit.
Got home saw the replay of the game and have never seen so much made over absolutely bugger all.

Remi Moses
07-02-2015, 11:42 PM
That was a gutless, cowardly act that Grinter stooped too that day. One of the worst things I've seen.

Complete guiltless act from a hack footballer . I think there was legal action on him, and an incident at a restaurant between the two .

Bulldog4life
08-02-2015, 02:30 AM
The Demons when the came back the next year after Rod Grinter coat hangered and moved Terry Wallets face 2 inches to the left.

I had never heard anything like it, it was surreal, before the players ran out it was like any other game, and as soon as Melbourne came out the visitors race i saw about 30 blokes explode with tirades I've never heard nor seen since (and that includes a few Chelsea vs Spurs games)

its probably what I miss the most about the footy, we used to have one of the most feared road trips in the game, going to the Kennel was about as bad as it got, and I bloody loved it - even though we didn't win too many.

History shows out of all teams who have played at Whitten Oval/Western Oval we rank 4th in the highest percentage of wins. 54.82%. Considering we had many a lean years we did cause a lot of upsets at the Kennel. I remember a number of games where I was expecting a loss but then the boys went on to have a great win. This was when we didn't have a good team too.

http://afltables.com/afl/venues/western_oval.html

Twodogs
08-02-2015, 03:25 AM
I
History shows out of all teams who have played at Whitten Oval/Western Oval we rank 4th in the highest percentage of wins. 54.82%. Considering we had many a lean years we did cause a lot of upsets at the Kennel. I remember a number of games where I was expecting a loss but then the boys went on to have a great win. This was when we didn't have a good team too.

http://afltables.com/afl/venues/western_oval.html

We might be fourth on the win percentage table but we've kicked six and a half thousand goals more than our closest rival on that score.

strebla
08-02-2015, 08:49 PM
We really need to get a massive crowd for round 9. I just hope we win with a kick after the siren by big Tom.

KT31
09-02-2015, 10:32 AM
We really need to get a massive crowd for round 9. I just hope we win with a kick after the siren by big Tom.

Agree we need a massive crowd but I really want to thump them and demoralise all the deserters.

bornadog
09-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Agree we need a massive crowd but I really want to thump them and demoralise all the deserters.

yes, don't even give them a sniff.

LostDoggy
09-02-2015, 05:10 PM

It's a hard call. I want Griffen to record donuts in every stat, but if he doesn't have the ball it's harder to boo him.

Twodogs
09-02-2015, 05:50 PM
It's a hard call. I want Griffen to record donuts in every stat, but if he doesn't have the ball it's harder to boo him.

Let's hope he gives heaps of free kicks away then.

SonofScray
09-02-2015, 06:19 PM
yes, don't even give them a sniff.

Absolutely. I want that club and Griffen in particular to be on the receiving end of something never quite seen before in terms of animosity. To the point it leaves them distraught and not wanting to play football against us ever again. Nightmare, fear for your life type of stuff.

More importantly I want our players to really grab the game by the scruff of the neck and make a statement. We will belt you. Hard. In every facet of the game. It'd be an ideal scenario for me if by R 9 we'd built some momentum and going in as favourites destroyed the opposition. Really stomped on their throats. We rarely go on and demolish teams, if this squad could make GWS its first... it'd be a great day in my books.

Twodogs
10-02-2015, 12:16 PM
^^^^^^^^

I get your point SOS but shouldn't we be like that for every game and turn it up to eleven for some teams.

In sport you perform better if you have someone you hate. With a passion. Looking at it pragmatically we have a real opportunity to develop a rivalry with GWS. I know they are plastic and keep pinching our best players and stuff but is there a better team to get into an ongoing narrative with than the AFL lovechild?

Flamethrower
10-02-2015, 12:38 PM
For some reason the crowd that sticks in my head is the night we played the Lions at Docklands, and Alistair Lynch was given the "Steroids" serenade.

For mine, the best case scenario for round 9 against the GWS Felons is Griffen gets a standing ovation from the crowd as he does a lap of honour having been forced into retirement by his chronic back injury, Ward cops it all match, and Tom Boyd leaps into Coleman favouritism with a bag of 12.

SonofScray
10-02-2015, 06:45 PM
^^^^^^^^

I get your point SOS but shouldn't we be like that for every game and turn it up to eleven for some teams.

In sport you perform better if you have someone you hate. With a passion. Looking at it pragmatically we have a real opportunity to develop a rivalry with GWS. I know they are plastic and keep pinching our best players and stuff but is there a better team to get into an ongoing narrative with than the AFL lovechild?

Agree, it is something I really enjoyed under Terry Wallace that we've never really claimed back. It'd give me great joy to carry that sort of adversarial lens to the footy again.

On the rivalry aspect, I don't mind the narrative that could build up around GWS. Modern Football v Community Club, hard work v privilege etc etc. We've had fleeting rivalries with interstate Clubs, WCE & SYD in particular. For me it is always Essendon, Nth and now GWS.

Twodogs
10-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Agree, it is something I really enjoyed under Terry Wallace that we've never really claimed back. It'd give me great joy to carry that sort of adversarial lens to the footy again.

On the rivalry aspect, I don't mind the narrative that could build up around GWS. Modern Football v Community Club, hard work v privilege etc etc. We've had fleeting rivalries with interstate Clubs, WCE & SYD in particular. For me it is always Essendon, Nth and now GWS.

I mean a manufactured rivalry that turns an otherwise meh! fixture into something that gets the club some publicity and exposure. Might even get the. Game on FTA.

As far as Essendon and North, we'll always have Paris. We'll always have a rivalry with them, a true organic rivalry, untouched by the marketers, because supporters like you and me hate bastards with a passion.

bulldogtragic
10-02-2015, 11:12 PM
I mean a manufactured rivalry that turns an otherwise meh! fixture into something that gets the club some publicity and exposure. Might even get the. Game on FTA.

As far as Essendon and North, we'll always have Paris. We'll always have a rivalry with them, a true organic rivalry, untouched by the marketers, because supporters like you and me hate bastards with a passion.

I'm more an Adelaide & St Kilda guy myself.

LostDoggy
12-02-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm more an Adelaide & St Kilda guy myself.

I hate all of them. Adelaide, Saints, North and Essendon.

always right
12-02-2015, 01:20 PM
I'm really hoping for a hostile bulldogs crowd but somehow I doub't we'll get one. Our supporters have become increasingly meek and mild as each season passes...if they bother showing up at all. Sorry but that's just how I see it.

LostDoggy
12-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Trying to organise a giant inflatable pig to distract Griffen with. We need a pig blimp to hover over an open roof.

SonofScray
12-02-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm really hoping for a hostile bulldogs crowd but somehow I doub't we'll get one. Our supporters have become increasingly meek and mild as each season passes...if they bother showing up at all. Sorry but that's just how I see it.

I tend to agree. Its a collective experience of PTSD.

SonofScray
12-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Trying to organise a giant inflatable pig to distract Griffen with. We need a pig blimp to hover over an open roof.

Great work. Pig with a G on it.

Eastdog
12-02-2015, 08:27 PM
We need to get this chant going :D

"We are the Bulldogs
The mighty Bulldogs
And we are mental
And we are mad
We are the loyalist football supporters
That the world has ever had"

It's a general tune and many teams use but if we came up with our own chant that would be great. The challenge is to get everyone involved.

Twodogs
12-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Dunno about the mental bit Easty.

Eastdog
12-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Dunno about the mental bit Easty.

We can always change it to suit our needs :)

LostDoggy
12-02-2015, 09:47 PM
We can always change it to suit our needs :)

We've got poor dental
And we are mad

Twodogs
12-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Beware the bulldog
It is rabid.

SonofScray
12-02-2015, 11:13 PM
The other teams can all go and get #$%^%^
Their pencil necks we are going to %^&*($%^ cut
For we are Footscray
The Footscray Bulldogs
The greatest Club this world has ever scene.

Its to the tune of a Partizan hooligans song. I like it.

Anyway, I am more inclined for a hostile Bulldog crowd to be chaotic, vitriolic and cacophonic more so than organised.

Although "Elliot's A Wanker" aroubd the Member's Wing was amusing.

Twodogs
12-02-2015, 11:33 PM
It was an impressive moment.

LostDoggy
12-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Even the man himself thought it was pretty funny.

Greystache
13-02-2015, 12:16 AM
We need to get this chant going :D

"We are the Bulldogs
The mighty Bulldogs
And we are mental
And we are mad
We are the loyalist football supporters
That the world has ever had"

It's a general tune and many teams use but if we came up with our own chant that would be great. The challenge is to get everyone involved.

No thanks. Drives me crazy when the tourists in the Barmy Army sing it hour after, day after day, decade after decade.

always right
13-02-2015, 10:18 AM
We don't need any silly contrived chant. We just need to get more vocal as supporters.

Daughter of the West
13-02-2015, 11:24 AM
We've got poor dental
And we are mad

Isn't that more Collingwood? ;)

LostDoggy
13-02-2015, 11:53 PM
Isn't that more Collingwood? ;)

Can't throw the stone from my glass house. Just had another tooth out the other day.

GetDimmaBack
23-02-2015, 11:40 PM
Briefly back on topic, I was there (just a little kid) when Alan Morrow of St Kilda dropped EJ cold, right in front of the grandstand.

The mob was on my side and still I was scared witless...

Morrow needed lots of cops to help him off the ground that day.

BRING IT BACK!!!

westdog54
24-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Don't know if hostile is the right word for it, but does anyone remember 'The Game' v Essendon in 2000, when the bloke in the suit was giving the boys a rev up when they came down the race at half time?

Twodogs
24-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Don't know if hostile is the right word for it, but does anyone remember 'The Game' v Essendon in 2000, when the bloke in the suit was giving the boys a rev up when they came down the race at half time?

I used to go to games with him back in the day. His name is Con.

Webby
24-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Just on this one: going back 30 years there was anEnglish bloke (from Yorkshire, I'm guessing) who used to be very vocal. His name was Clarrie and he used to constantly scream out at the umpires, calling them "bloooodey Pelicans!"

He stood about 12 rows back, mid wing, members side. I guess he'd be passed on by now, but does anyone remember him?

Twodogs
24-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Just on this one: going back 30 years there was anEnglish bloke (from Yorkshire, I'm guessing) who used to be very vocal. His name was Clarrie and he used to constantly scream out at the umpires, calling them "bloooodey Pelicans!"

He stood about 12 rows back, mid wing, members side. I guess he'd be passed on by now, but does anyone remember him?

Clarrie Bridges was it?

westdog54
24-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Clarrie Bridges was it?

How do you know this stuff?????!!!!!

Mofra
24-02-2015, 04:34 PM
If I recall correctly, Billy Kolynuik gave hell on top of what was expected of an aggressive team to play.
One game at WO Koly had a bit of a tussle with an opposition player, they both ended up in the Bulldog players race and he bitch-slapped the opposition player with the loudest open handed slap I've ever heard in my life - I was 20m away and it sounded hard.

No umpires saw it (thank god for concrete walls) and no footage was seen - he got away scott free

Remi Moses
24-02-2015, 08:07 PM
I used to go to games with him back in the day. His name is Con.

I think it might have been Chris Two.

Webby
24-02-2015, 08:12 PM
One game at WO Koly had a bit of a tussle with an opposition player, they both ended up in the Bulldog players race and he bitch-slapped the opposition player with the loudest open handed slap I've ever heard in my life - I was 20m away and it sounded hard.

No umpires saw it (thank god for concrete walls) and no footage was seen - he got away scott free

Speaking of Clarrie and now Billy Kolyniuk, Billy's dad was pretty vocal at the WO. He used to have a fair bit to say. Nothing bad or anything, but he was chirpy. "This bloke wouldn't get a game for St Albans" being one line that comes to mind.

Bulldog4life
25-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Speaking of Clarrie and now Billy Kolyniuk, Billy's dad was pretty vocal at the WO. He used to have a fair bit to say. Nothing bad or anything, but he was chirpy. "This bloke wouldn't get a game for St Albans" being one line that comes to mind.

I coached him in a charity match at Skinner Reserve when he was in his mid 40's. About 20 years ago God he was a fit bugger for his age then. Talked all day while playing too. Can't remember his first name.

bornadog
25-02-2015, 10:01 AM
I coached him in a charity match at Skinner Reserve when he was in his mid 40's. About 20 years ago God he was a fit bugger for his age then. Talked all day while playing too. Can't remember his first name.

I met him at a function in the 80's when Billy was first starting with us, and he was a young Dad and told me he played soccer, so no wonder he was fit.