PDA

View Full Version : Ten reasons we have our CHF already

Avoid the rush
07-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Lots of negative posts around the fact that Jack is not up to AFL standard as a footballer. Get a bit annoyed by the negativity.I certainly agree that we haven't seen the best of him up till now, but I am hearing that he IS our CHF for the coming season and I see no reason he can't make this position his own.

1. He is big enough.
2. He is strong enough.
3. He can take a pack mark.
4. He is agile for his size.
5. He is an elite kick.
6. He is aggressive.
7. He works hard.
8. He wants it!!!!
9. He has the coach's confidence.
10. He's all we got. (please don't put Bonti there yet)

I can see him not just holding down the key position, but having a big influence on our 2015.

GVGjr
07-02-2015, 12:35 PM
I'm glad we have given him another 12 months and a senior position to prove himself and it will be interesting to see if he is in or close to our best 22.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-02-2015, 12:39 PM
How good would it be if he can step up and fill that role. It would satisfy the three rules of real estate. We would have good structure for our many talented forwards to be creative and be given greater predictability of play. Our mids could look up and have another target to present.

F'scary
07-02-2015, 12:48 PM
The measure of success is how many contests he can make and how much pressure he can take off Tom Boyd. I think if he plays an aggressive in-the-face, not-here-to-make-friends style and has the opposition players lining up to give him a piece of their mind or some push and shove, then he will be playing a valuable role in a very young line-up. Basically, he (and Big Will) have to be old style enforcers this season. If he gives away a few free kicks or gets suspended for being a protector, then so be it.

Webby
07-02-2015, 01:53 PM
If his work rate is up, he'll take some minding! I think his remit will simply be to contest, contest, contest. He's got some physical presence and, as a fully listed player now, he should be the fittest he's ever been.

The knock on him is that he doesn't clunk it enough, however he's rarely outmarked and will provide a straight, reliable target for our glut of clever small forwards to feed off.... At least a far more reliable target than Mr Jones..

GVGjr
07-02-2015, 02:01 PM
He wouldn't or shouldn't be on the playing list if he was missing many on the 10 reasons listed in the opening post but really there is only one question to ask and that is if he is good enough.

The Underdog
07-02-2015, 02:19 PM
He wouldn't or shouldn't be on the playing list if he was missing many on the 10 reasons listed in the opening post but really there is only one question to ask and that is if he is good enough.

Most of them would apply to the majority of AFL players. I don't think his marking is a strength, particularly pack marking. I'm on record as saying I hope he makes it, but mostly I see Adam Morgan or Trent Bartlett. Honest triers without an elite skill to seperate them as key forwards.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Hopefully his pec's are stronger than Adam Morgan's. Hopefully he's got the strength to just keep presenting.

boydogs
07-02-2015, 05:14 PM
I mark him really low in footy IQ. He looks the part but compare him to someone like Lachie Hunter in terms of positioning, timing his leads, continually presenting and they are worlds apart

Hopefully he can improve as we could definitely use him

bornadog
07-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Has he got the talent?

I think he will surprise us this year, but needs to work hard and make the position his own.

Avoid the rush
07-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Most of them would apply to the majority of AFL players. I don't think his marking is a strength, particularly pack marking. I'm on record as saying I hope he makes it, but mostly I see Adam Morgan or Trent Bartlett. Honest triers without an elite skill to seperate them as key forwards.

He is definitely not Morgan!!! Seriously got more mongrel than Adam! Can see your Bartlett comparison, however I have this strong feeling he can bend his legs unlike Trent and he will upset backlines like.................who was our last backline upsetter???? .....b4 BH

Twodogs
07-02-2015, 06:33 PM
He is definitely not Morgan!!! Seriously got more mongrel than Adam! Can see your Bartlett comparison, however I have this strong feeling he can bend his legs unlike Trent and he will upset backlines like.................who was our last backline upsetter???? .....b4 BH

That's the first thing I thought too. He has a, not agressive, but he likes to make physical contact and he loves tackling, edge to his game. One tackle and goal in the last quarter of last year's VFL GF kept the momentum surging our way.

It'd be great to see him do that at AFL level.

SonofScray
07-02-2015, 07:43 PM
If Jack can bring an aggressive intent to apply physical pressure and hurt opponents, I think he can stick a spot in the 22. He might need to cover in the ruck to make himself more valuable, but he has the tools and mindset to become a favourite of mine.

Trent Bartlett was aslo a favourite of mine. Honest battler. I think Jack can be better.

1eyedog
07-02-2015, 07:47 PM
If he can be a Leigh Brown type it will be a great return on our patience.

LostDoggy
07-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Great call Avoid the rush! Only starting to get consistent training loads into his body now. People forget he's done two knees. His last 12 months have been good progression and sounds like he's put his lid down over summer which will give himself the best chance to continue this. It's hardly a make or break year for him, very much looking forward to watching him go about it over the first 2 months of the year in particular.

LostDoggy
07-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Great call Avoid the rush! Only starting to get consistent training loads into his body now. People forget he's done two knees. His last 12 months have been good progression and sounds like he's put his lid down over summer which will give himself the best chance to continue this. It's hardly a make or break year for him, very much looking forward to watching him go about it over the first 2 months of the year in particular.
Agree.
Can't wait to see him splitting packs @ CHF then Bont,Dahl,Strings,Crammers picking up the crumbs and smashing it through or over the top to T-BAR as 3 or 4 of us are streaming goalwards to celebrate.

hujsh
07-02-2015, 10:29 PM
If he can be a Leigh Brown type it will be a great return on our patience.

That seems like a realistic and useful outcome. I think we'd all be wrapped with that

Remi Moses
07-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Bit of the Trent Bartletts about Jack for me. If he can take some of the forward bollocking that would be enormous.
Needs to show something this season

Bulldog4life
08-02-2015, 02:36 AM
If Jack can bring an aggressive intent to apply physical pressure and hurt opponents, I think he can stick a spot in the 22. He might need to cover in the ruck to make himself more valuable, but he has the tools and mindset to become a favourite of mine.

Trent Bartlett was aslo a favourite of mine. Honest battler. I think Jack can be better.

Saw him ruck a few times in the VFL and he certainly wasn't hopeless in that position. Followed up impressively a number of times too when the ball hit the ground.

Greystache
08-02-2015, 02:39 AM
To me he's a poor man's Barry Hall, a big and strong leading forward type. Not a pack making player, but leads hard, is a decent mark, and a beautiful kick for goal. He doesn't have Barry's ability to lead, or read the play, nor Barry's agility, but if he can present, hit some bodies and kick the occasional goal then he has a role to play.

I'm not convinced be can do it but I think he's done enough to be given a chance. Two knee recos is incredibly hard to recover from, but if he can be a serviceable player at AFL level he should be admired.

With his physical presence be should be able to give us 5 minutes a quarter of competitiveness in the ruck, even if he doesn't win hit outs (which to me is irrelevant) but he should be able to keep the opposition honest. I'm glad he's been given a year on the main list.

Go_Dogs
08-02-2015, 04:21 AM
I mark him really low in footy IQ. He looks the part but compare him to someone like Lachie Hunter in terms of positioning, timing his leads, continually presenting and they are worlds apart

I think I mentioned on another thread not all that long ago, his game against Gold Coast, I thought, showed some signs that his leading and ability to read the play wasn't too bad. He was able to be spotted up a couple of times for easy marks on the lead, and is/has probably been instructed by the coaches to be a more stay at home, create the contest, be the long-bomb target, role (as opposed to focusing on being a lead up option).

With most young key position players, it's very hard to say definitively if he'll make it or not, but I think he has most of the tools to give it a good crack. Hopefully it's another year of continuity and development for him.

boydogs
08-02-2015, 04:45 AM
I think I mentioned on another thread not all that long ago, his game against Gold Coast, I thought, showed some signs that his leading and ability to read the play wasn't too bad. He was able to be spotted up a couple of times for easy marks on the lead, and is/has probably been instructed by the coaches to be a more stay at home, create the contest, be the long-bomb target, role (as opposed to focusing on being a lead up option).

With most young key position players, it's very hard to say definitively if he'll make it or not, but I think he has most of the tools to give it a good crack. Hopefully it's another year of continuity and development for him.

I was at the Gold Coast game and it's where I picked up most of my observations from. We would have the ball 70m from goal and he wouldn't move - not even a jog or a point to gesture which way it should be kicked to his advantage. He would just hold Rory Thompson out and take a standing jump at the ball, before Steven May came 3rd man up over the top

All game he would just continually stand under the ball - when Bontempelli or Stringer had it kicked on their heads, they would at least take a few steps back to give themselves a run at it

It wasn't just long bombs though. Later on we had a difficult shot at goal and he stayed in the goalsquare whilst Lachie Hunter lead twice to the pocket. It's great being tall and strong, but you still need the smarts to put yourself in the right positions to use that

There's a whole range of reasons why this may not be career damning - bad game, coach instructions, adjusting to AFL & team mates, still learning forward craft etc. but I wouldn't point to that game as evidence of his progression. He had 4 kicks, 3 marks and 1 goal in a 5 goal win

jeemak
08-02-2015, 05:56 AM

But who on our list really compares to Lachie in that way? You're setting a pretty hard task in expecting a six foot four guy (who in all honesty is a bit of a lugg) to show the qualities a small forward who has made a career to date in being nimble and smart at eading at the ball as one of his major traits.

Redpath should only be judged against his current capabilities and how he can improve on them. Presently he's a large in stature tall forward that has a chance to capitalise on his ability to read the ball in flight, his ability to crash a pack and maybe take a grab or two that will result in good finishing. If he can do that at the senior level this year on a semi-consistent level it will be a massive step up from where he has come.

I'm thinking he's a 30 per cent chance of doing that.

bulldogtragic
08-02-2015, 10:11 AM
But who on our list really compares to Lachie in that way? You're setting a pretty hard task in expecting a six foot four guy (who in all honesty is a bit of a lugg) to show the qualities a small forward who has made a career to date in being nimble and smart at eading at the ball as one of his major traits.

Redpath should only be judged against his current capabilities and how he can improve on them. Presently he's a large in stature tall forward that has a chance to capitalise on his ability to read the ball in flight, his ability to crash a pack and maybe take a grab or two that will result in good finishing. If he can do that at the senior level this year on a semi-consistent level it will be a massive step up from where he has come.

I'm thinking he's a 30 per cent chance of doing that.

And thinking of 30% doesn't make you negative as per the OP. I think he's a very good set shot, but I'm not sold he will get it often enough to have set shots. Busting packs is not enough, nor is a decoy. On that thinking along we could 'retire' Minson the CHF and move Campbell to first ruck. My main issue is hands like rocks he seems to have. If that's my 'negative' or honest opinion, then my 'positive' or honest opinion is play him in defence. Then he's big, punching/not marking, is aggressive, intimidating and playing to his strengthes but then still 50/50. I love his endeavour, but the talent isn't just quite there. Like every question mark I have on any player, I hope he proves me embarrassingly wrong.

Testekill
08-02-2015, 03:52 PM
That's the first thing I thought too. He has a, not agressive, but he likes to make physical contact and he loves tackling, edge to his game. One tackle and goal in the last quarter of last year's VFL GF kept the momentum surging our way.

It'd be great to see him do that at AFL level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRxhBZjw24

I do think that Redpath just likes crunching guys in the contest.

F'scary
08-02-2015, 07:29 PM

That was nnnnnnnnnnnice. 100kg's of the The Widow-Maker body slamming the opposition.

Watching it a few times, I was struck by how the 28 seconds of footage sums up our fortunes for the whole 2014 season:

Great tackle by Redpath to make the play. We were ranked 3rd for average tackles per game in 2014, so not surprising this is a player highlight. But just as well Redpath was there because Christian Howard a split second before only managed to put out a feeble arm to tackle O'Brien.

Redpath then quickly gets back behind the mark from the free and dinks a nice short pass to Picken who has overlapped from BP to the Wing. Even more kudos for Redpath as we were ranked 17th for average kicks per match. You can see Picken is overjoyed to have someone on his own side actually kicking the ball to him.

Picken marks well in the clear and has every opportunity to take off and run with the ball. There is only the lumbering Marty Clarke within 30 metres and Picken also has a team mate who can run with him making it a 2 on 1 against a plodder.

But what does he do? Instead of carrying the ball and using the 2-on-1 (either directly or as a dummy feint or as a give-and-go) culminating in a penetrating kick deep into forward line, he props and sends a shorter pass to a contested area where Jarrad Grant has made a half-hearted lead. It should be noted that the 2-on-1 advantage evaporated immediately anyway as Picken's team mate, instead of teaming with the ball carrier, turns his back on the play, presumably to figure out where he should run to next to make sure there are numbers behind the ball.

Anyway, Grant then squibs what is still a very gettable mark because he has eyes only for the opposition player running back with the flight. This is followed immediately with a pathetic attempt to get the resultant loose ball - he gives up with a laughable half-swan dive when the first opposition player physically contests him for the ball. Turnover: HBF at the edge of the centre square.

And that was a game we won!

boydogs
08-02-2015, 08:21 PM
F'scary, take a look at who is wearing the #4 for us right at the end ;)

F'scary
08-02-2015, 09:12 PM
F'scary, take a look at who is wearing the #4 for us right at the end ;)

As they say, every cloud has a silver lining.:)

josie
09-02-2015, 01:43 AM

I like your thinking Claysmyman.

I'm thinking Jack might just make the grade, and I've no doubt he will give it his all. Funny you mention his two knee reco's, as I knew he'd done one but not two. I've always thought he looks like a gigantor version of Clay Smith (one of my faves). I'm sure Big Jack is giving Clay some support that he can return successfully after 2nd recos, especially as Jack is a monster of a lad.

I'll be yelling my heart out for Big Jack, especially when he creates spillages, scares the opposition, and sticks up for our young forwards. The incredible hulk returns in the red, white & blue !!!

Cyberdoggie
09-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Does anyone think we can fit all these talls in the side? Boyd, Redpath, Crameri, Stringer, and add Bonts or a Campbell potentially as well.

Will be interesting to see how the Beveridge structures his forward line.

westdog54
09-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Glorious. His one on Schoenmakers in the VFL granny was a thing of beauty.

Does anyone think we can fit all these talls in the side? Boyd, Redpath, Crameri, Stringer, and add Bonts or a Campbell potentially as well.

Crameri, Stringer and Bonts aren't your typical 'talls' though. Crammers is ridiculously fity and will lead to the half back flank all game if he needs to, Stringer almost plays like a small forward at times, and Bonti is just a freak who's probably more comfortable at ground level than he is in the air. And he's pretty damned comfortable in the air.

With Boyd's arrival we are ridiculously spoiled for choice, moreso than we thought we were this time last year when Crameri arrived.

craigsahibee
09-02-2015, 05:21 PM
I've never met him, but somehow I feel there is a bond between Jack and I. Don't know what it is. Maybe it's just my romantic association with the underdog story. A bloke who's had 2 reco's, come off the rookie list, lovable Country lad, you know, all that sort of stuff. I really hope he can hold down a role for us across CHF and release Stringer and Co. further up the ground.

GVGjr
09-02-2015, 07:22 PM

I've posed that question a few times. I suggest that it's all about how much work in the midfield Bontempelli and Stringer can handle.

We have a similar challenge with the smaller forwards including Dahlhaus, Hunter, Hrovart and Grant fighting for just a couple of spots.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-02-2015, 11:18 PM

It'll be one of Campbell and Redpath - unless Minson is injured or in such poor form that he plays VFL and Campbell assumes the role of first ruck.

It will be interesting to compare Redpath and Campbell. I think we all agree the latter is a first ruck who can rest forward rather than the other way around, which may give Redpath an advantage as he's a forward first/ruck relief second.

Minson would want to start the year well.

boydogs
10-02-2015, 12:07 AM

I think it will be one of Redpath or Campbell, not both. Unless Minson doesn't play and Campbell plays 70% ruck. Crameri, Stringer & Bonts are plenty mobile enough but all of Boyd, Redpath & Campbell would be top heavy

jeemak
10-02-2015, 02:43 AM
It'll be one of Campbell and Redpath - unless Minson is injured or in such poor form that he plays VFL and Campbell assumes the role of first ruck.

It will be interesting to compare Redpath and Campbell. I think we all agree the latter is a first ruck who can rest forward rather than the other way around, which may give Redpath an advantage as he's a forward first/ruck relief second.

Minson would want to start the year well.

I don't really see any short to medium term future where Redpath and Campbell are fighting it out for a second ruck spot. I could be wrong, but for me they're both starting from a similar base as a senior AFL forward while Campbell has him well and truly covered as a ruck option.

While it's hard to argue Minson didn't have a good year last year, Campbell is so desperately far off holding a first ruck position it's not funny. The games he was given resulted in tripe, and while I don't think he played to his capacity in 2014 he has a long way to go to perform at the lacklustre level Minson did.

stefoid
10-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Reminds of BBB without the elite fitness or ability. Baz was similarly a great kick but not a great pack mark. Aggressive, bowled blokes over etc...

I didnt appreciate barrys skill until he played for us, but he could turn a defender around and snap a goal as good as anyone - bread and butter stuff for him. Not to mention demanding the ball by constantly leading to the right spots at the right time.