PDA

View Full Version : Matty Boyd to the backline

bornadog
12-02-2015, 11:48 PM
Boyd adapting to defensive role (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-02-12/boyd-on-the-defence)
Dogs veteran Matthew Boyd says there is still plenty of learning to do as he enters his 13th AFL season.

The 32-year-old, who has spent the majority of his 239-game career in the midfield, is adapting to a potential new role across half-back and is finding motivation in the new task.

“It’s been exciting, it’s been a new challenge so I’m just trying to learn to play a different role.

“I just want to add a little bit of versatility to my role and that’s been really exciting.”

Coach Luke Beveridge is instilling flexibility in his new team and Boyd says adding a more defensive side to his game has been a key motivator this pre-season.

“There’s definitely some challenges and some things I’ve got to learn, just keep pushing myself to do that as quickly as possible because the season’s just around the corner.”

Veteran defender and Boyd’s close friend Dale Morris, vice-captain Jordan Roughead and young defender Easton Wood have all been a source of inspiration for Boyd.

“There’s always something new to learn and you go and interact with new coaches, guys in the backline… you’re trying to learn as much as you can off them,” said Boyd.

Boyd is set to play his 250-game milestone in 2015, sitting 11 games shy

bornadog
12-02-2015, 11:49 PM
Hopefully its a good move.

Greystache
13-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Weird article considering he's played deep forward in a number of match practice conditions. He is really struggling to keep up in the midfield, if he can't somehow reinvent himself somewhere else he'll be a regular at Footscray.

boydogs
13-02-2015, 12:43 AM
He is really struggling to keep up in the midfield

In what way?

Greystache
13-02-2015, 12:56 AM
In what way?

In that he can't keep up with the younger players. Struggling to win it and when he wins it he still butchers it.

1eyedog
13-02-2015, 01:28 AM
Boyd adapting to defensive role (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-02-12/boyd-on-the-defence)
Dogs veteran Matthew Boyd says there is still plenty of learning to do as he enters his 13th AFL season.

The 32-year-old, who has spent the majority of his 239-game career in the midfield, is adapting to a potential new role across half-back and is finding motivation in the new task.

“It’s been exciting, it’s been a new challenge so I’m just trying to learn to play a different role.

“I just want to add a little bit of versatility to my role and that’s been really exciting.”

Coach Luke Beveridge is instilling flexibility in his new team and Boyd says adding a more defensive side to his game has been a key motivator this pre-season.

“There’s definitely some challenges and some things I’ve got to learn, just keep pushing myself to do that as quickly as possible because the season’s just around the corner.”

Veteran defender and Boyd’s close friend Dale Morris, vice-captain Jordan Roughead and young defender Easton Wood have all been a source of inspiration for Boyd.

“There’s always something new to learn and you go and interact with new coaches, guys in the backline… you’re trying to learn as much as you can off them,” said Boyd.

Boyd is set to play his 250-game milestone in 2015, sitting 11 games shy

Wow, a champ of the club actually relishing a change of role - good on you Boydy hope you have a good year.

jeemak
13-02-2015, 04:47 AM
In that he can't keep up with the younger players. Struggling to win it and when he wins it he still butchers it.

I'm surprised to hear he's butchering it, he's normally really clean with his foot use, but his hands let him down sometimes.

All jokes aside, I've never heard anything more stupid in my life. If the club puts Boyd. M. in the backline I'll pretty much have to take a trek during business hours down Footscray road from West Melbourne and physically assault all involved!

Go_Dogs
13-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Interesting idea, not sure it's one I'm a huge fan of, but I guess we'll see how it pans out over the course of the season.

He's been a good player for us, and selfless, so I can't wish him anything but the best.

bornadog
13-02-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm surprised to hear he's butchering it, he's normally really clean with his foot use, but his hands let him down sometimes.

All jokes aside, I've never heard anything more stupid in my life. If the club puts Boyd. M. in the backline I'll pretty much have to take a trek during business hours down Footscray road from West Melbourne and physically assault all involved!

Forget the violence, get back on the Ski Slopes. :D

KT31
13-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Mat to the backline and Tom in the ruck, not a fan of either move, hopefully just a smokescreen or a bit of talk.

Or is Bevo that good of a coach he has done what no other coach could and has Mat hitting targets ?

Happy Days
13-02-2015, 11:15 AM
"Hey, you know that guy who can't defend or kick?"

"Yeah..."

"Let's move him to the position on the ground where these are of most importance relative to each other!"

Pass.

G-Mo77
13-02-2015, 11:24 AM
I believe he can play a defensive role, he used to be quite good at it. Coming out of the backline is a real worry though.

F'scary
13-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Big change, going from watch the ball to watch the man. Surely, Matty Boyd is best as a stoppage extractor and a tough, hard running link man in the midfield? He had a good season last year, he couldn't have dropped off that much? Or could he?

hujsh
13-02-2015, 04:21 PM
If he's no good he'll have to go to Footscray I guess. If there's no room in the midfield.

bornadog
13-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Big change, going from watch the ball to watch the man. Surely, Matty Boyd is best as a stoppage extractor and a tough, hard running link man in the midfield? He had a good season last year, he couldn't have dropped off that much? Or could he?

He started with us as a tagger.

Happy Days
13-02-2015, 04:34 PM
He started with us as a tagger.

Halcyon days.

jeemak
13-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Forget the violence, get back on the Ski Slopes. :D

Please excuse that post. It was the product of drinking straight whiskey at a Yuzawa karaoke bar all night.

Topdog
13-02-2015, 05:03 PM
This would give me nightmares.

Refreshing to hear him say positive things about the potential move though

bornadog
13-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Please excuse that post. It was the product of drinking straight whiskey at a Yuzawa karaoke bar all night.

wish I was there.

Cyberdoggie
13-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Wow, a champ of the club actually relishing a change of role - good on you Boydy hope you have a good year.

Words like that usually means he's struggling and it may be an early retirement or a season at Footscray helping them develop role.

jeemak
13-02-2015, 06:18 PM
wish I was there.

If terrible renditions of classics are your thing......

Happy Days
13-02-2015, 06:23 PM

Didn't know The Whistle Song had words?

LostDoggy
13-02-2015, 06:59 PM
At least he will now hit up forward targets, unfortunately for us the opposition forwards.

F'scary
13-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Here's a point for consideration. We know there will be increased pressure on forward and mid spots with the development of players but in the case of the midfield, Ronnie Biggs could potentially play there. Could easily be a wingman.

LostDoggy
13-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Surely Bevvo knows of his reputation of turning the ball over! FFS Nooooooooooooooooooooo.

1eyedog
13-02-2015, 11:15 PM
I believe he can play a defensive role, he used to be quite good at it. Coming out of the backline is a real worry though.

Agreed. He was at one stage one of the best defensive mids in the comp and it is how he won his B&Fs.

bornadog
14-02-2015, 12:10 AM

Ha ha I mean Japan

bornadog
03-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Has been a revelation down back and showed again yesterday how valuable he is.

chef
03-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Has been a revelation down back and showed again yesterday how valuable he is.

Hell yeah. How he has turned back the clock.

anfo27
03-05-2015, 11:05 AM
I'll put my hand up as a woofer who thought Boyd was done and dusted a year or so ago but gee he has really reinvented himself back there. Just reads the play so well and chops off so many attacks. Great move Bevo!

Webby
03-05-2015, 11:38 AM
I'll put my hand up as a woofer who thought Boyd was done and dusted a year or so ago but gee he has really reinvented himself back there. Just reads the play so well and chops off so many attacks. Great move Bevo!

Yeah, me too. I always thought his disposal cost us dearly and that he was also blocking other younger midfielders' development. However, the move down back means that he has more time to look up and also hit up his options. His disposal is much better with a bit more time. It's been a great transition for him. He's a consummate professional and prepares himself really, really well, so I can see him playing on for another couple of years. It might be a Tony Liberatore-like reinvention/re-invigoration.

He's very disciplined, competitive and obviously experienced. Always did read the game well and knows how to get the pill. In midfield I found myself almost hoping that he got less of it - just because he didn't use the ball well. However, in defence, his ball winning ability and competitiveness is a massive plus. I'm really chuffed for him.

Maddog37
03-05-2015, 12:10 PM
With Murph and Boydy down there it has got to the point where teams need to decide which of our defenders they tag. If Webb and JJ or Biggs can continue to develop an attacking game we will be super dangerous.

anfo27
03-05-2015, 12:25 PM
With Murph and Boydy down there it has got to the point where teams need to decide which of our defenders they tag. If Webb and JJ or Biggs can continue to develop an attacking game we will be super dangerous.

We are already super dangerous Maddog.

hujsh
03-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Hell yeah. How he has turned back the clock.

Turned the clock all the way back to an alternate timeline where he's a better kick/ decision maker/ more composed

KT31
03-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Mat to the backline and Tom in the ruck, not a fan of either move, hopefully just a smokescreen or a bit of talk.

Or is Bevo that good of a coach he has done what no other coach could and has Mat hitting targets ?

Apparently he is.:)

F'scary
03-05-2015, 03:51 PM
I advanced a theory on Moyd in another thread that as a high accumulation player, one who wins lots of contested ball and operates in heavy traffic, during the past 3 years in a side that had the worst game plan and playing style in the comp he didn't have the targets to execute to. In other words, it may not have been his disposal that was the problem, there was no-one to kick it to.

Mantis
03-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Has been terrific across half back and really seems to be enjoying his footy... His reactions after the win yesterday, especially after the song, were of pure elation.. I guess for him ( and the other older guys) they thought their chances of playing in a successful team were over, but they all seemed renewed in our current forward thrust.

Topdog
04-05-2015, 12:06 AM
I thought the move to put him in the backline was bordering on insane. Glad to be proven so drastically wrong.

bornadog
04-05-2015, 09:45 AM
I thought the move to put him in the backline was bordering on insane. Glad to be proven so drastically wrong.

Funny to go back to the start of this thread and read all the comments.

westdog54
04-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Funny to go back to the start of this thread and read all the comments.

I just did.

Pissed myaelf laughing. Special mention to Jeemak's whiskey fuelled effort.

LostDoggy
05-05-2015, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=Topdog;434111]I thought the move to put him in the backline was bordering on insane. Glad to be proven so drastically wrong.[/QUOTE
Ditto.
Thought the move to put Boysr in defence to be bordering on insanity.
Glad that i was ridiculously wrong.
Could prolong his career by another two or three years.

bornadog
19-08-2015, 03:23 PM
Looks set to sign another year. Well deserved, in AA form, thank you to Bevo

KT31
19-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Looks set to sign another year. Well deserved, in AA form, thank you to Bevo

More good news, has always been one of my favourites but I thought after last season he may have signed on for a season to long.
Although I was critical its fair to say his move down back has been an inspired one and I was wrong, there is plenty of life in the old dog yet.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Last year I had a dream. We made the top four, finals bound, and Matty Boyd was taking hangers, hitting passes and tearing it up. ;) Pinch me.

Smads57
19-08-2015, 11:10 PM
If the rumour is true that he may be set to sign on for another year, then I'll sleep well tonight. Has always been a Smads favourite.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2015, 08:48 AM
I think the majority of posters had some concerns about his move down back, but he has excelled. Such a hard working player, and deserving of another year if he's confident he's got it in him. It would be tough to walk away from the club at the moment.

Maddog37
20-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Loving his crunching tackles. He has laid some absolute rippers this year.

LostDoggy
18-12-2015, 02:24 PM
http://www.zerohanger.com/revealed-top-10-2016-supercoach-defenders-3286/

Not that it means that much, but Supercoach have released their defenders ratings for 2016. Look who is rated the 2nd most valuable defender (no surprises for guessing).

bornadog
18-12-2015, 02:52 PM
http://www.zerohanger.com/revealed-top-10-2016-supercoach-defenders-3286/

Not that it means that much, but Supercoach have released their defenders ratings for 2016. Look who is rated the 2nd most valuable defender (no surprises for guessing).

A lot of sceptics when Bevo moved him to the backline but he was a star back there.

always right
18-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Biggest surprise about Boydynuts this year was his ability to kick on his wrong foot. Not quite Murph standard but very competent.

Just about the best reader of play in our team and almost certainly our best tackler....not as prolific as Dahlhaus but is great at nailing really big tackles.

Twodogs
18-12-2015, 04:17 PM
A lot of sceptics when Bevo moved him to the backline but he was a star back there.

I was sceptical when we gave him another contract but I'm happy to be so wrong.

Happy Days
18-12-2015, 04:28 PM
For mine, what was most unbelievable about Boyd last season was not as much that he was successful on a back flank, but more how good his kicking was - getting out of the engine room and giving himself than extra second or so to sum up a situation and make a decision virtually eliminated the stomach-turning error from his game. File that one to "shocking-but-probably-should-have-been-obvious".

If he didn't happen to share a backline with Easton and Bob he would have made All Australian. He still probably should have.

Twodogs
19-12-2015, 09:22 PM
For mine, what was most unbelievable about Boyd last season was not as much that he was successful on a back flank, but more how good his kicking was - getting out of the engine room and giving himself than extra second or so to sum up a situation and make a decision virtually eliminated the stomach-turning error from his game. File that one to "shocking-but-probably-should-have-been-obvious".

If he didn't happen to share a backline with Easton and Bob he would have made All Australian. He still probably should have.

I think it's the burden of the captaincy being lifted from his shoulders helped. He doesn't feel his every kick has to find a target 60 metres away. He kicks within his limitations now.

Ghost Dog
20-12-2015, 08:37 PM
If it wasn't for Bevo, Boyd would have been delisted by now, in an unceremonious way a la Cross.
I like Bevo's glass half full approach.