PDA

View Full Version : A Bulldog Song before games

bornadog
13-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Peter Gordon on 774 this morning has asked for suggestions for a song to be sung before games, bit like Port did last season and copying EPL teams like Liverpool

What suggestions do WOOFers have and is this a good idea?

Murphy'sLore
13-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Chumbawumba, Tubthumping!

Murphy'sLore
13-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Actually think it's a bit contrived and not a great idea.

dadsgirl16
13-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Pleese noooo!!!

KT31
13-02-2015, 11:26 AM
How about we get William Shatner to read Bobbies latest article with the Bulldogs theme playing quietly in the background.:)

Axe Man
13-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Before the GWS game can we please play an adapted version of the Angels classic: Am I ever gonna see Gryphan's face again?

And the crowd naturally responds: No way, get f##ked, f##k off!

Greystache
13-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Nine Inch Nails- Closer

/Thread

1eyedog
13-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Who let the dogs out :D

Just imagine how horrible that would be!

bulldogtragic
13-02-2015, 11:59 AM
always look on the bright side of life...

We'd be copy catting Port and I think in the box marked 'abject failure' with singing who let dogs out at each goal and waving Ted's Towels around. How's about the 20,000 who turned up to VFL GF and near broke the joint by being so loud come out as often as possible and do the same again?

bornadog
13-02-2015, 12:03 PM
always look on the bright side of life...

We'd be copy catting Port and I think in the box marked 'abject failure' with singing who let dogs out at each goal and waving Ted's Towels around. How's about the 20,000 who turned up to VFL GF and near broke the joint by being so loud come out as often as possible and do the same again?

I know its copy catting, but if we can find the right song, it would be fantastic to build up a tradition as has Liverpool and other great sporting clubs. In fact, I think singing a song really gees you up and gets you in the mood to shout and be loud during the game.

Who Let the dogs Out is not the right song, but finding the right one will be hard.

Axe Man
13-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Until we finally win a flag - Don't Stop Believin by Journey

Murphy'sLore
13-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Before the GWS game can we please play an adapted version of the Angels classic: Am I ever gonna see Gryphan's face again?

And the crowd naturally responds: No way, get f##ked, f##k off!

Really needs to be: Am I ever gonna see Gryph's face again (or it doesn't scan properly)

No problem agreeing with the second line though.

craigsahibee
13-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Anyone remember us playing The Angels' "The Dogs are talking" back at the Whitten Oval in the early 90's

F'scary
13-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Straight from the Out-Of-Left-Field Department: how about "Sons of the West"?

Eastdog
13-02-2015, 02:24 PM
We don't have too much singing of our theme song pre game. Would be great if we could in unison sing that together. Easier said than done. The cheer squad big challenge is to engage our supporters whether they are in the cheer squad or not.

The Underdog
13-02-2015, 02:35 PM
This works well for Port when 50000 sing it in unison. Not so great when 15000 scattered around a stadium try to do it. All for throwing up ideas for fan engagement, not sure this one wouldn't peter out pretty quickly.

Sedat
13-02-2015, 02:45 PM
This works well for Port when 50000 sing it in unison. Not so great when 15000 scattered around a stadium try to do it. All for throwing up ideas for fan engagement, not sure this one wouldn't peter out pretty quickly.
I'll go with your username. I'm imagining the chorus "you've got no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive" being chanted in unison towards the next unsuspecting opponent that underestimates us ;)

chef
13-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Maybe we could theme it each week, when the Giants come to town Dennis Leary has the perfect song.

bornadog
13-02-2015, 04:19 PM
We don't have too much singing of our theme song pre game. Would be great if we could in unison sing that together. Easier said than done. The cheer squad big challenge is to engage our supporters whether they are in the cheer squad or not.

We sing that when we win

Eastdog
13-02-2015, 04:21 PM
We sing that when we win

No reason why we couldn't sing it with the same passion pre match.

The Underdog
13-02-2015, 10:04 PM
I'll go with your username. I'm imagining the chorus "you've got no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive" being chanted in unison towards the next unsuspecting opponent that underestimates us ;)

To be fair I was singing it pretty loud on Wednesday night :)

SonofScray
14-02-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't feel it is something that will be well received. But whatever we do, it'd be great to stick with it. We have had these traditions and over time they vanish. Stick with it.

My suggestion would be to have the Williamstown RSL Pipe band on the field playing a jig. Or return to the Hyde St Band and get them to play the Rocky theme again, but do it in a way that cements their place and honours the history of it. Put them up in lights. Its not a nostalgic thing on my front, but all this stuff is better if it has roots. If it is fan driven, or a derivative of our past experience.

Or just get them to play the Club's theme song live.

And if all else fails.... Ecstasy of Gold.

AND!

Scrap the banner. Run out of a giant inflatable, fire breathing Bulldog's head.

Maddog37
14-02-2015, 12:15 PM
I would like a stirring operatic song like Nessun Dorma.

The Underdog
14-02-2015, 12:24 PM

Tough sing a long that one.

Maddog37
14-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Tough sing a long that one.

Lol very true. I just like the idea of not having to sing along and the perverse idea of playing opera at Bulldogs games is strangely appealing to me.

The Underdog
14-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Lol very true. I just like the idea of not having to sing along and the perverse idea of playing opera at Bulldogs games is strangely appealing to me.

It'd confuse opposition supporters for sure

bornadog
14-02-2015, 02:28 PM
WE need a song that stirs up the crowd and plus the words are known.

How about

AC/DC – You Shook Me All Night Long

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen
She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs
Taking more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there
'Cause the walls start shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching
And we were making it and you

Shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me all night long

Working double time
On the seduction line
She was one of a kind, she's just mine all mine
Wanted no applause
Just another course
Made a meal out of me and came back for more
Had to cool me down
To take another round
Now I'm back in the ring to take another swing
'Cause the walls were shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching

Shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me all night long

And knocked me out and then you
Shook me all night long
You had me shakin' and you
Shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me
Well you took me

You really took me and you
Shook me all night long
Ooooh you
Shook me all night long
Yeah, yeah, you
Shook me all night long
You really took me and you
Yeah you shook me, yeah you shook me
All night long

The Adelaide Connection
14-02-2015, 04:20 PM
WE need a song that stirs up the crowd and plus the words are known.

How about

AC/DC – You Shook Me All Night Long

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen
She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs
Taking more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there
'Cause the walls start shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching

I think it's too quick and has way too many lyrics. In my opinion the songs that work best in big crowd singalongs (either at gigs/festivals or at sporting events) like "Never tear us apart", "You'll Never Walk Alone" etc. work because they are emotive, have a slower tempo and have a greater emphasis on the vocal (often are acoustic). Port have done incredibly well to find a song that fits this and is well-known, is Australian, and which has lyrics that can be twisted to loosely work as a song being sung to a footy club.

"My Happiness" by Powderfinger, whilst not perfect, would go close to working and ticks a lot of those boxes. As a bonus it is well-known in both Alternative and Commercial circles (received a huge amount of commercial playback and also #1 in JJJ hottest 100) and extra bonus points for being Australian. The lyrics don't work anywhere near as well as "Never tear us apart" but well enough to still be viable. It certainly isn't easy finding songs that would work.

I see your shadow on the street now
I hear you push through the rusty gate
Click of your heels on the concrete
Waiting for a knock coming way too late
It seems an age since I've seen you
Countdown as the weeks trickle into days

So you come in and put your bags down
I know there's something in the air
How can I do this to you right now
If you're over there when I need you here

My happiness is slowly creeping back
Now you're at home
If it ever starts sinking in
It must be when you pack up and go

It seems an age since I've seen you
Countdown as the weeks trickle into days
I hope that time hasn't changed you
All I really want is for you to stay

I know I know I know what is inside

LostDoggy
14-02-2015, 04:21 PM
I don't feel it is something that will be well received. But whatever we do, it'd be great to stick with it. We have had these traditions and over time they vanish. Stick with it.

My suggestion would be to have the Williamstown RSL Pipe band on the field playing a jig. Or return to the Hyde St Band and get them to play the Rocky theme again, but do it in a way that cements their place and honours the history of it. Put them up in lights. Its not a nostalgic thing on my front, but all this stuff is better if it has roots. If it is fan driven, or a derivative of our past experience.

Or just get them to play the Club's theme song live.

And if all else fails.... Ecstasy of Gold.

AND!

Scrap the banner. Run out of a giant inflatable, fire breathing Bulldog's head.

Long live Ennio.

The Adelaide Connection
14-02-2015, 04:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhE4_qBEEWI

This could work too. Only potential problem is that it probably takes too long to get to the chorus.

SonofScray
14-02-2015, 08:33 PM

That would be amazing.

BulldogBelle
15-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Here are some suggestions

SONS OF THE SEA
Sons of the sea, bobbin' up and down like this.
Over the ocean, bobbin' up and down like this.
You can build a ship, my friend, bobbin' up and down like this.
But you can't beat the boys of the bulldog breed, bobbin' up and down like this.

And we all bob up and down

ANOTHER YOU
shortened version by the Seekers

There's a new world somewhere
They call The Promised Land
And I'll be there some day
If you will hold my hand
I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do
For I know I'll never find another you

It's a long, long journey
So stay by my side
When I walk through the storm
You'll be my guide, be my guide
If they gave me a fortune
My treasure would be small
I could lose it all tomorrow
And never mind at all
But if I should lose your love, dear
I don't know what I'll do
For I know I'll never find another you

We could alter these lyrics slightly

WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED

WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED

Well I'm on my way to heaven
We shall not be moved
On my way to heaven
We shall not be moved
Just like a tree that's standing by the water side
We shall not be moved

We shall not we shall not be moved
We shall not be moved

On the road to freedom

We shall not be moved
On the road to freedom
We shall not be moved
We shall not be moved

We shall not be moved

We're brothers together
We shall not be moved
We're brothers together
We shall not be moved
We shall not be moved

We shall not be moved

The Underdog
15-02-2015, 11:45 AM
I vote Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On". The sentiment can be used as though we are fully prepared to "Get it on" in a footballing sense on the field, ready to bring it, as it were. It would also lead the opposition into conflict as they contrast the masculine emotions of battle with the sexy, sexy, sweet sounds of Marvin lulling them into a weird emotional space where they question exactly what they're doing fighting instead of loving.
It would make for very interesting early contests in a game.

F'scary
15-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Ringer, I really like your suggestion of I'll Never Find another You. It's on the mark. It is in the zone. It's got the vibe. It's Australian. Compare with Liverpool's You'll Never Walk Alone. Compare's well in all respects for purpose nominated.

Good work!

Twodogs
15-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Mark Seymour is a bulldog supporter. We should ask him if we could use Holy Grail. It's easy to sing along to

We could have a tradition that Mark Seymour leads the crowd at the first home game every year.

bulldogtragic
15-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Mark Seymour is a bulldog supporter. We should ask him if we could use Holy Grail. It's easy to sing along to

We could have a tradition that Mark Seymour leads the crowd at the first home game every year.

I like it, but I'm a fuddy duddy. I'm not sure young supporters would know that a guy with that name is a musician or the song constitutes 'great' 'Australian' and/or 'music'. We need a hip sounding band name like dyabolika, Zach Linoleum, Tia, Chad Stone, Pippies of Angel Face or some other manufactured name with a manufactured sound to get the young crowd.

SonofScray
15-02-2015, 04:15 PM

I've heard him talk about trying to write a FFC song and how it has been a really tough task. He had a crack at it, the Dogs Will Rise Again, it was pretty good.

Twodogs
15-02-2015, 06:31 PM
I'd forgotten about that song.

Flamethrower
15-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Was going to suggest Holy Grail.

Others:

You're the Voice - John Farnham
Working Class Man - Jimmy Barnes
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
The Whip - Locksley (A favourite an NHL games)

Twodogs
15-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Footy by Spiderbait.

SonofScray
15-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Aida - Grand March

One of my all time favourite Australian bands "Bulldog Spirit" has some crackers. I suggest everyone look them up and email the Club to use "March Of The Bulldog Spirit."

jeemak
15-02-2015, 11:17 PM
I really really hope this doesn't get off the ground.

The ship's sailed, Port got in first and got the good song.

LostDoggy
16-02-2015, 07:49 AM
We could play Baba O'Riley at Etihad matches, switching lyrics to “concrete wasteland”.

mitch0418
16-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Rather than a song why don't we just hand out ear plugs to all Bulldogs supporters then play a looping sound file of dogs barking (RSPCA shelter) but somehow crank it up to 11 down the oppositions end as they warm up. Either that or we all just howl. :rolleyes:

craigsahibee
16-02-2015, 04:07 PM
If we stick with the Australian theme (and Mark Seymour) "Throw your arms around me" is a great crowd singalong song.

Max Merritt and the Meteors "Slippin' Away" is another beauty which may be lost on anyone under 40 unfortunately.

AndrewP6
16-02-2015, 04:48 PM

Ditto, I'm not keen on this at all.

chef
16-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Yep, plus it makes a difference when there's 50k plus all singing together. Wouldn't have quite the same effect with one of our crowds.

WBFC4FFC
16-02-2015, 05:00 PM

Isn't Holy Grail about Napoleon's failed Russian Campaign? Why people associate it with footy is beyond me. It's like all those nuff buffs that play "Every Breath You Take" by Sting at their Wedding, yet it's about Stalking!

As for a suggestion (if we need one, which I think we do not) how about Acquiesce by Oasis. It's about mateship.

craigsahibee
16-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Isn't Holy Grail about Napoleon's failed Russian Campaign? Why people associate it with footy is beyond me. It's like all those nuff buffs that play "Every Breath You Take" by Sting at their Wedding, yet it's about Stalking!

As for a suggestion (if we need one, which I think we do not) how about Acquiesce by Oasis. It's about mateship.

Or the Reagan Team that chose to use "Born in the USA" in their campaign even though it's a protest song.

AndrewP6
16-02-2015, 08:23 PM
If we stick with the Australian theme (and Mark Seymour) "Throw your arms around me" is a great crowd singalong song.

Max Merritt and the Meteors "Slippin' Away" is another beauty which may be lost on anyone under 40 unfortunately.

One's about a romantic relationship, the other about a relationship breakdown. Not sure they suit our cause.

AndrewP6
16-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Isn't Holy Grail about Napoleon's failed Russian Campaign?

Partly, and also the band's attempts to make it big.

bulldogtragic
16-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Yep, plus it makes a difference when there's 50k plus all singing together. Wouldn't have quite the same effect with one of our crowds.

Imagine our haters out there each week making jokes about 12,000 at Etihad, most not signing the song. It could burn the other way and just look at my pile of Ted's Towels. I'm not sure why we seem to go with 'reactionary' as our main plan. I've read dozens of good ideas on woof which I'd rather back.

Happy Days
16-02-2015, 09:50 PM
"Footscray Station" by Scott and Charlene's Wedding - embrace the Broadsheet.

Twodogs, Footy is the best.

westdog54
17-02-2015, 07:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhE4_qBEEWI

This could work too. Only potential problem is that it probably takes too long to get to the chorus.
Perhaps we could run with Don't Look Back In Anger for the GWS game?

LostDoggy
17-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Perhaps we could run with Don't Look Back In Anger for the GWS game?

Surely we can find a good Johnny Cash number for the pig-shooter.

BulldogBelle
17-02-2015, 12:01 PM
We probably need a newish song that the younger generation can relate to.

But, for an oldie song, here is one that I like:
ROLL OUT THE BARREL

Roll out the barrel
We'll have a barrel of fun
Roll out the barrel
We'll have the Blues on the run - (or the Saints, Dons, Lions etc)
Boydie, Bonti or Carol
We'll have a game of good cheer
Now's the time to roll the barrel
For the gang's all here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCGal6Aat8

Some barrels to look at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4tGU2CePU

This song has already been used as a football song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Vl-JGCD3o

always right
17-02-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't want a song but if we have to have one....I'd prefer Skyhooks "Why don't you all get f**ked?"

1eyedog
17-02-2015, 12:31 PM

Agreed - fingers crossed the thread dies fast rather than slowly.

bornadog
17-02-2015, 01:04 PM
A lot of negatives in this thread. What is the harm in trying to get some atmosphere going at our games?

craigsahibee
17-02-2015, 02:04 PM
One's about a romantic relationship, the other about a relationship breakdown. Not sure they suit our cause.

Pretty much sums up my emotions when I think of my relationship with the bulldogs. Love them with a passion but they break my heart.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2015, 02:46 PM
I don't want a song but if we have to have one....I'd prefer Skyhooks "Why don't you all get f**ked?"

Great song. That song was how i discovered swearing. So it was obviously a favourite, I have it on a cassette somewhere (but nowhere to play it).

bornadog
17-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Great song. That song was how i discovered swearing. So it was obviously a favourite, I have it on a cassette somewhere (but nowhere to play it).
Here you go.

http://youtu.be/eu7FsVC7tYg

bulldogtragic
17-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks BAD. I must have had a live version, still makes me smile. Thanks.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-02-2015, 07:49 PM
If we were playing games at WO, then I would be all for it, because you can do such things to make it a fortress. It's also (obviously) a smaller ground which would/could be packed out with red/white/blue and has a family/suburban feel to it.

Etihad is too generic and too big of a stadium for us.

We should keep brainstorming about other ways we can gain a unique connection to the fans. Things like certain chants with holding up some form of merch (scarves always looks the best, but signs and flags work) could be effective, without the need to fill the stadium.

AndrewP6
17-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Pretty much sums up my emotions when I think of my relationship with the bulldogs. Love them with a passion but they break my heart.
Hahaha fair call. :)

Bulldog4life
18-02-2015, 04:14 PM
A lot of negatives in this thread. What is the harm in trying to get some atmosphere going at our games?

Agree BAD. Imagine if the other teams didn't want to copy us when Terry Wallace had our players going out for a kick before the game. They all quickly got on board. Someone has to be first.

always right
18-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Agree BAD. Imagine if the other teams didn't want to copy us when Terry Wallace had our players going out for a kick before the game. They all quickly got on board. Someone has to be first.

But we're not first.

Bulldog4life
18-02-2015, 06:12 PM
But we're not first.

You miss my point. Who cares who is first if it is a good idea.

AndrewP6
18-02-2015, 07:36 PM
You miss my point. Who cares who is first if it is a good idea.
I think the reviews are mixed on that issue.

Maddog37
18-02-2015, 08:12 PM
How about "what about me" by the moving pictures?

What about me
It isn't fair
I've had enough and I want my share.

Sums up being a dogs fan pretty well.

chef
18-02-2015, 08:22 PM
But we're not first.

YNWA was first sung at Old Trafford

LostDoggy
19-02-2015, 09:24 PM
What about Metallica-'' Nothing Else Matters'' ?

BornInDroopSt'54
20-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Peter Gordon on John Faine's 3LO program this morning; they played a song, "Proud Bulldog" written and performed by Chris or Grant Hansen, someone from Painters and Dockers and a couple of other luminaries. Peter said he played it for some younger people at the club who didn't embrace it but Faine played another song by someone random that we all know that I've now got a mental block about, but I thought it was a good one. Best one yet.
It is a brilliant idea but the problem is getting a song that takes off and will stand the test of time. UNWA is brilliant because it is heartfelt, sincere, moving, can rally supporters through addressing the lonely feeling of the individual's battle with life, by grouping with the club, and never walking alone. The song is old and daggy but this doesn't matter, is better, because the sentiment overrides the style and the crowd can sing it. So that's what's needed: brave, poignant lyrics that the crowd can sing...Standing upright in adversity, standing together...charming...
Over to you maestroes...

BornInDroopSt'54
20-02-2015, 02:27 PM
I'd sing the Wiggles 'Hot Potato' with dignity and humour. It's a comment on the game.

jeemak
20-02-2015, 02:30 PM
I actually think this is something that should be voted on by the members. On-line polling that would require membership number input and a simple yes or no answer question to determine the percentage of people who actually want this to go ahead, followed by a listing of songs to choose from could resolve the issue.

It seems that PG is hell bent on implementing something that will require every one of the 14,000 Bulldogs supporters and members who actually attend games to participate in to be effective, even though it seems a lot of people don't think it's a good idea.

LostDoggy
20-02-2015, 02:48 PM
"Stand By Me"?

bornadog
20-02-2015, 04:23 PM
"Stand By Me"?

I think this is the best suggestion to date.

Which version do you like:

http://youtu.be/4vSWHkxZgOI

bornadog
20-02-2015, 04:23 PM
or

http://youtu.be/Vbg7YoXiKn0

I like this one.

soupman
20-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Melbourne Victory already do Stand by Me before their games.

Murphy'sLore
20-02-2015, 06:52 PM
When I suggested Chumbawumba I honestly didn't know that Peter Gordon had already suggested it.

Can't we do Hounds of Love. Then we can all take our shoes off, and throw them in the lake.

BulldogBelle
20-02-2015, 08:33 PM
I got some feedback from Peter Gordon on my "Roll out the Barrel" suggestion.

The song may be calling for him to come out onto the ground.

Ha ha ha ha. You are funny Peter.

bulldogtragic
20-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Before Too Long. Paul Kelly.

'Every dog will have his day. And any dog can win'.

That premiership wouldn't be before too long either.

LostDoggy
21-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Melbourne Victory already do Stand by Me before their games.

Most club songs are far from original or exclusive.

Webby
21-02-2015, 08:31 AM
I've seen this thread in the background for a few days now and thought "ho-hum." However I quite like the idea of "Before Too Long" and "Stand By Me."

To have these two songs simply played on the PA prior to games could be a goer. No expectation of people to sing it. Just let it play and see if it kicks on over a couple of years. That doesn't seem so pretentious or laboured. It's just a song or two we like to play which fills a space and sums us up.

Not every club needs an 'epic'. I've been to games in the UK and experienced the Man City crowd singing "Blue Moon" which has just a hint of meaning, but is really just a song they began playing which grew. Then there's West Ham, who sing the openly self-deprecating "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles", which is simply a reference to having dreams and aspirations which end up bursting.... (As opposed to David Brent's interpretation of it being about Michael Jackson and his pet Chimp!)

Mark Seymour is a Dogs fan, but his "Holy Grail" seems a bit too 'epic' and serious, whilst "Throw Your Arms Around Me" is a great song about a one night stand. Not quite on the mark, but then again, link is there. Seymour IS a Dogs fan... That's as good a reason as any.

So having considered all of that, my votes are:
3: Stand By Me (Sweet, classic, slightly ironically self-deprecating)
2: Throw Your Arms Around Me (written by Doggies Fan)
1: Before Too Long (Again, slightly self deprecating and written by a Melburnian)

Maddog37
21-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Why not play a selection for a few months and see which ones the fans take to. Pick your best three or four and play all of them prior to the match and let the mob choose.

Webby
21-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Why not play a selection for a few months and see which ones the fans take to. Pick your best three or four and play all of them prior to the match and let the mob choose.

Spot on. I think just relax about it, play two or three, don't ram it down our throats and see what happens over the space of a couple of years. If they try to force anything, it'll be too artificial and contrived and people will blank it.

BulldogBelle
22-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Great idea to play a few songs and see what happens.

Big fan of Mark Seymor and Paul Kelly (think he is from Adelaide and Adelaide fan - but who cares) and had Stand by me at my wedding. So l will go with all three with Throw your arms around me as my favourite.

soupman
22-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Most club songs are far from original or exclusive.

Except Melbourne Victory play in the same venue, in the same city, as we do with regularity and are a fairly big club in this city in their own right.

I don't mind the idea of having certain songs play before matches, Before to Long would be fine and a few other suggestions here are nice, the Etihad playlist is pretty atrocious atm so anything would be an improvement.
I hate the idea of the lame ground announcer though trying to gee up the crowd and get everyone singing. It will only end badly.

GVGjr
22-02-2015, 05:55 PM
I don't care if we are copying other sides on this as long as we make a good decision.
I'm not one for a lot of rah rah before, during or after a game but if we get it right I might embrace it.

Years back when we were playing home games at Carlton we had the dog barking noise after every goal. I thought that was a great addition but the AFL stopped it.

LostDoggy
23-02-2015, 03:50 AM
I think Cake's The Distance would be great. First and foremost is a great song that people will instantly recognize.

Is a song that has divided opinion on what it is actually about but I don't actually think that matters. The main thrust of "going the distance" shines through.

Good little 3 word tag line for the back of a scarf as well!

Axe Man
23-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Tom Petty's I won't back down came on the radio last night and got me thinking that it is a pretty good fit, lyrics wise at least. Goes well with our "Cede Nullis" motto.

Apparently Melbourne Storm used to use it as their walk out song.

Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

No, I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

(I won't back down)
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(I won't back down)
Hey, I will stand my ground and I won't back down

Well, I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

Maddog37
23-02-2015, 02:40 PM
I think Cake's The Distance would be great. First and foremost is a great song that people will instantly recognize.

Is a song that has divided opinion on what it is actually about but I don't actually think that matters. The main thrust of "going the distance" shines through.

Good little 3 word tag line for the back of a scarf as well!

I always thought that song was about corporate greed and the treadmill lifestyle.

westdog54
23-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Tom Petty's I won't back down came on the radio last night and got me thinking that it is a pretty good fit, lyrics wise at least. Goes well with our "Cede Nullis" motto.

Apparently Melbourne Storm used to use it as their walk out song.

Correct. Used to use it when they played at Olympic Park.

LostDoggy
23-02-2015, 03:08 PM
I always thought that song was about corporate greed and the treadmill lifestyle.

So many different interpretations from a sperm racing towards the egg, to lost love, to race cars, horse racing, even heard one person describe it as being about post traumatic stress disorder after war!

Remi Moses
01-03-2015, 04:38 PM
After the events of the last 24 hrs
Always look on the bright side of life monty Python

bulldogtragic
01-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Theme to Raw Ride.

'Keep them doggies movin. Raw Hide'

Move 'em on
(Head em' up!)
Head em' up
(Move 'em on!)
Move 'em on
(Head em' up!)
Rawhide!

Cut em' out
(Ride 'em in!)
Ride 'em in
(Cut em' out!)
Cut em' out
Ride 'em in,
Rawhide!

LostDoggy
04-03-2015, 06:45 PM
The Neverending Story theme

Bulldog4life
04-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Theme to Raw Ride.

Move 'em on
(Head em' up!)
Head em' up
(Move 'em on!)
Move 'em on
(Head em' up!)
Rawhide!

Cut em' out
(Ride 'em in!)
Ride 'em in
(Cut em' out!)
Cut em' out
Ride 'em in,
Rawhide!

And we all dress like the Blues Brothers!

bulldogtragic
04-03-2015, 06:58 PM
And we all dress like the Blues Brothers!

Yep, says fun to me. You might need the chicken wire screens though.... You could have two ends/sections of the ground screaming the two parts of the chorus at each other... Oh, oh... How about in lieu of the Hyde st Band as our iconic music, we have the Red, White & Blues Brothers warming up the crowd?

1eyedog
04-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Theme to Raw Ride.

Move 'em on
(Head em' up!)
Head em' up
(Move 'em on!)
Move 'em on
(Head em' up!)
Rawhide!

Cut em' out
(Ride 'em in!)
Ride 'em in
(Cut em' out!)
Cut em' out
Ride 'em in,
Rawhide!

Oh dear

Greystache
04-03-2015, 07:48 PM
A couple of us have been singing

(To the tune of convoy)

We got a great big Tom Boyd
Rockin through the night
We got a great big Tom Boyd
Ain't he a beautiful sight
Tom Boyd

Webby
04-03-2015, 07:51 PM
I just looked up the lyrics for "Before Too Long" and in reading them, found it quite funny to apply WBFC as context!:

Before too long
The one that you're loving
Will wish that he'd never met you
Before too long
He who is nothing
Will suddenly come into view
So let the time keep rolling on
It's on my side
Lonely nights will soon be gone
High is the tide

Before too long
We'll be together
And no one will tear us apart
Before too long
The words will be spoken
I know all the action by heart
As the night-time follows day
I'm closing in
Every dog will have his day
Any dog can win

Shut the shade, do not fear anymore
Here I come creeping round your back door

Before too long I'll be repeating
What's happened before in my mind
Before too long
Over and over
Just like a hammer inside

As the night-time follows day
I'm closing in
Every dog will have his day
Any dog can win

Before too long
Before too long

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 08:19 PM
I don't care if we are copying other sides on this as long as we make a good decision.
I'm not one for a lot of rah rah before, during or after a game but if we get it right I might embrace it.

Years back when we were playing home games at Carlton we had the dog barking noise after every goal. I thought that was a great addition but the AFL stopped it.

Was it Optus or Telsra when we kept playing that hideous song Who Let The Dogs Out?

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 08:26 PM
M
Theme to Raw Ride.

Move 'em on
(Head em' up!)
Head em' up
(Move 'em on!)
Move 'em on
(Head em' up!)
Rawhide!

Cut em' out
(Ride 'em in!)
Ride 'em in
(Cut em' out!)
Cut em' out
Ride 'em in,
Rawhide!
That's just the end if the song. You'd miss the rollin, rollin, rollin Keep them doggies movin'. bit

LostDoggy
04-03-2015, 08:43 PM
a couple of us have been singing

(to the tune of convoy)

we got a great big tom boyd
rockin through the night
we got a great big tom boyd
ain't he a beautiful sight
tom boyd

gold!!!! ;);)

LostDoggy
04-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Journey's.'Don't Stop Beleiving'

chef
04-03-2015, 10:14 PM
West End Riot by The Living End would be great, just change west end to Western and riot to bulldogs and it fits perfectly.

BulldogBelle
04-03-2015, 10:22 PM
West End Riot by The Living End would be great, just change west end to Western and riot to bulldogs and it fits perfectly.

Like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hleK267Twxw

Dancin' Douggy
04-03-2015, 11:08 PM
I just hate the idea we have to fabricate atmosphere. It's all bullshit.

LostDoggy
05-03-2015, 12:18 AM
I just hate the idea we have to fabricate atmosphere. It's all bullshit.

50,000 people all slapping their hands together to make noise and therefore encourage or acknowledge the play is fabricating atmosphere.

SlimPickens
05-03-2015, 10:29 AM

Perfect fit Chef. Not a classic anthem like "never tear us apart", but certainly has that tribal nature to it and a bit of mongrel as well. Love it. Great song to see played live also

Daughter of the West
05-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Perfect fit Chef. Not a classic anthem like "never tear us apart", but certainly has that tribal nature to it and a bit of mongrel as well. Love it. Great song to see played live also

"We'll be there next Saturday, with our guns and heads held high!"

I'm really liking the West End Riot idea - good call Chef!

Scraggers
05-03-2015, 11:42 AM

I think we have a winner ... Someone contact Peter and tell him we have made our choice !!

Weeeessssstern Bulldogs Bulldogs !!!!

Murphy'sLore
05-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Love it!

(Just slightly disturbed by the Aker lookalike in the video…)