PDA

View Full Version : How are we feeling now with the footy season fast approaching

Eastdog
17-02-2015, 08:31 PM
I've heard positive reports from our training and that Bevo is trying to implement an unpredictable game plan switching players around etc but really how are woofers really feeling about the year ahead.

Myself I'm going into season 2015 with not many expectations and just more hope than anything. I still think it will be a tough year for us with lots of experienced players leaving and a new coach so we have a lot of work to do but I'm hopeful that will give some of those stronger teams a run for their money. We are certainly not the best team but we aren't the worst either.

chef
17-02-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't have any expectations of us doing well this season, but I'm excited as ever.

Eastdog
17-02-2015, 08:37 PM
In saying that I don't have many expectations this year I'm still excited like you chef for the start of the season and will get to the matches supporting the red white and blue.

F'scary
17-02-2015, 08:41 PM
I'm feeling a lot better than I did on that day in October last year.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Interested to watch the development of our younger players and the game plan that Bev implements. Also interested to see how we handle adversity (eg. Boyd under performing according to media, string of losses etc).

Twodogs
17-02-2015, 09:13 PM
With a new team structure, a coach who wants to bring in a skilled, running game plan and wants to win from game one, an exciting new recruit and the best young players in the comp, this is the most eagerly I have anticipated a football season since the first couple of years of Rodney Eade's tenure.

Another thing I'm looking (maybe not) forward to is giving a couple of true club legends the send offs they deserve over the next couple of years. Dale Morris and Robert Murphy will both go over the next two years. I'd like to see us commemorate the two of them and what they meant and given to the club in a meaningful way. We haven't been real good at seeing off some of our club greats in the last few years.

Maddog37
17-02-2015, 09:54 PM
It's all about Bonti. Macrae, Boyd, Stringer, Hrovat and Hunter for me. If these kids can become what they threaten to be I will be very happy regardless of results.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2015, 09:54 PM
If you can't be optimistic at this time of year then look for another use of time. There's always some angle to look to. For me, I think we've got a core group like West, Smith, Johno & Grant. It was awesome watching them start an era at the club then. I hope this year sets the Boyd, Bonts, Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat, Libba era. With a lot of talent to come. You just never know when you start the season, ask Port fans.

Eastdog
17-02-2015, 10:03 PM
If you can't be optimistic at this time of year then look for another use of time. There's always some angle to look to. For me, I think we've got a core group like West, Smith, Johno & Grant. It was awesome watching them start an era at the club then. I hope this year sets the Boyd, Bonts, Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat, Libba era. With a lot of talent to come. You just never know when you start the season, ask Port fans.

Yes fair point BT you make. I feel that I will enjoy the season more if you don't go in with much expectation as it doesn't always bode well when you have high expectation (eg: our president at the time David Smorgon in 2011 saying that the expectation was to make the GF) and then at the end it was a dissapointment as we didn't even make the 8.

Go_Dogs
17-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Like most, I'm really looking forward to it. Can't wait for the NAB Cup game against Richmond, and will go along to the game against Collingwood too.

A new coach, talk of a more attacking game style and our crop of kids has me excited.

Smads57
17-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Ditto

AndrewP6
17-02-2015, 10:59 PM
Look forward to seeing the new blood, the new game style, and I upgraded to a reserve seat, so looking forward to that.

Dancin' Douggy
17-02-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm just hanging to see Jake Stringer

Eastdog
17-02-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm just hanging to see Jake Stringer

Was very good last season for us. Look forward to him continue on from that and getting even better and become a pivotal figure in our forward setup.

Eastdog
17-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Look forward to seeing the new blood, the new game style, and I upgraded to a reserve seat, so looking forward to that.

Good stuff Andrew.

boydogs
17-02-2015, 11:49 PM
I'm optimistic, I'm hoping to see some new blood break into the side and make their mark. Guys like Jong, Daniel, Boyd, Biggs, Hamling, Campbell & Redpath

craigsahibee
18-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Always excited this time of year. The development of our kids is going to be extra special over the next couple of years. I then Bevo is boing to turn out to be an inspired choice.

LostDoggy
18-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Have had a roug six months. I need my footy back more than ever.

Twodogs
18-02-2015, 03:01 AM
Have had a roug six months. I need my footy back more than ever.

Amen brother.

westdog54
18-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Not expecti9ng too much out of the season as far as results go, but it's going to be a hell of a ride in the meantime.

Can't wait. Bonti and Stringer will make plenty of players, and a couple recruiters, look silly over the next 12 months.

bornadog
18-02-2015, 10:48 AM
We played finals in 1992, 94, 95, 97, 98, 99, 00, 06, 08, 09, 10.

The longest streak was 00 to 06. If not this year we must play finals next year.

I am expecting to finish with around 9 to 10 wins.

Mofra
18-02-2015, 10:57 AM
I'm very interested and excited to see how our midfield and forwardline operate. I genuinely believe our forwardline potential will be shown by the end of 2015 with people acknowledging it as our strongest area by the end of the year.
the gameplan will be much better to watch as well by all accounts.

Our backline still fills me with dread - our faster gameplan is likely to leave them just as exposed as in 2014, but without a mature second KPD to help Roughy & Morris out.

1eyedog
18-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Looking forward to finals footy ;)

Cyberdoggie
18-02-2015, 11:01 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing us play with some flair and to see some actual coaching tactics during games.

I think we have got some kids with some real ability in the flair division and they could really put on a show if let of their leashes (pardon the pun). Hunter, Stringer, Bonts, are great examples and it will be really good to see them rise to the next level.

always right
18-02-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm always excited at this time of year but there is an extra edge this year due to the off-field dramas during the trade period.

I expect us to be in the bottom four again yet be encouraged by the development of our young blokes. I'm particularly keen to see the following;
- the rise of Jake Stringer
- how Bonts will follow up in his second year
- the knock on effect Boyd's presence will have on other forwards
- whether Jong can take another big step
- who amongst our young tall defenders will step up

I am concerned that we could cop some early hidings as we adapt to another gamestyle change. I really hope we can see some positives early and that our supporters can continue to be patient. I'm concerned about our lack of pace but hoping that this can be offset by better ball movement and disposal.

Greystache
18-02-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing if when the real thing starts all the coaches, trainers, and players still scream TAKE THEM ON the second Lin Jong gets the footy. It's pretty funny when it happens at training.

Ozza
18-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I always look forward to the footy. Particularly to going to the games.

Looking forward to more opportunities to see Stringer and Bontempelli play.

With the below list of 13 coming into the year and games under their belt - I feel like the time if right to see the investment in these good young players begin to bear the proverbial fruit;

Libba (77)
Rough (72)
Dahlhaus (71)
Wood (65)
Wallis (56)
Stevens (39)
Macrae (34)
Smith (31)
Stringer (28)
JJ (27)
Hunter (23)
Hrovat (19)
Bontempelli (16)

Add 18-22 games to each of these players - and we're entitled to feel we have pretty strong core group capable of finals the year after.

And then there's the big fella from Western Sydney. I hope he takes some grabs and gets 15+ games.

Bulldog4life
18-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Yes fair point BT you make. I feel that I will enjoy the season more if you don't go in with much expectation as it doesn't always bode well when you have high expectation (eg: our president at the time David Smorgon in 2011 saying that the expectation was to make the GF) and then at the end it was a dissapointment as we didn't even make the 8.

Sorry Easty but I love going into each new season full of expectation. Part of the fun following any team. Especially the doggies.

Eastdog
18-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Sorry Easty but I love going into each new season full of expectation. Part of the fun following any team. Especially the doggies.

I'm excited of course for the season ahead but I'm not expecting too much with everything that has gone down and despite a positive training report. If we do well then ill be really happy with have far we have come. If we have too many expectations and it goes well then that's fantastic but if it doesn't then it will be dissapointment. That's what I did at the start of the 2014 season. Have lots of expectations but was dissapointed in the end.

Bulldog4life
18-02-2015, 03:59 PM
That's what footy is about Easty the highs and the lows. Just enjoy the ride.

Eastdog
18-02-2015, 04:01 PM
That's what footy is about Easty the highs and the lows. Just enjoy the ride.

Yep great point B4L. Even when we aren't doing great I still enjoy very much going to the games to cheer on our great club.

firstdogonthemoon
18-02-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm as excited as I've ever been about a season where I don't expect us to make the finals. It is a weird feeling.

LostDoggy
18-02-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm as excited as I've ever been about a season where I don't expect us to make the finals. It is a weird feeling.

This sums it up for me perfectly!

ratsmac
18-02-2015, 11:21 PM
I am excited, scared and eager to see who will step up and lead the club forward. I am really looking forward to Tom Boyd's first game in the red white and blue.

KT31
19-02-2015, 12:03 AM

Agree with you FD it could be the unsurety of being onto something grand, although the optimist has me has us getting very close to finals.
One of the thing I am looking most forward to is Tom Boyds caricature in round ones FDOTM comic strip.

whythelongface
19-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Really looking forward to the up coming season and seeing how our young team performs. My expectations aren't high this year but I have a sense of excitement that I haven't felt for awhile about our team. Our team has a core group of young outstanding players that will (potentially) provide us with a huge amount of joy over a sustained period.

Looking forward to coming down to Melbourne to watch the first two rounds.

1eyedog
19-02-2015, 09:58 AM
I just hope beyond hope that we can hold onto them and they can develop together so that in 2-3 years we can push for a sustained period in the top 4.

Jam Donuts
19-02-2015, 12:18 PM
I am really positive about the upcoming season, being a gnarly veteran supporter (over 50 years) this is the most confident have ever been, even during our run of 3 Preliminary finals, deep down inside I knew we were not quite good enough to do the job, I have watched a number of replays over the last few weeks on Foxtel and the kids we have now are the real deal, we are finally building a team that can and will play in Grand Finals, it appears that Bevo will take the shackles off the group and let them gain the confidence they need and play as a team, I would not be at all surprised to see us sneak into the finals, big things are building at our club.

LostDoggy
19-02-2015, 01:21 PM
What if Tom Boyd runs out next week and kicks 8, John Georgiades style?

My personal lid will be off.

Mantis
19-02-2015, 02:56 PM
I just hope beyond hope that we can hold onto them and they can develop together so that in 2-3 years we can push for a sustained period in the top 4.

Highlighted due to relevance.

I felt we had none over the past 3 years.. We are being sold it now, which is a good thing.

LostDoggy
19-02-2015, 03:11 PM
I am really positive about the upcoming season, being a gnarly veteran supporter (over 50 years) this is the most confident have ever been, even during our run of 3 Preliminary finals, deep down inside I knew we were not quite good enough to do the job, I have watched a number of replays over the last few weeks on Foxtel and the kids we have now are the real deal, we are finally building a team that can and will play in Grand Finals, it appears that Bevo will take the shackles off the group and let them gain the confidence they need and play as a team, I would not be at all surprised to see us sneak into the finals, big things are building at our club.

Go buy yourself a pint and send me the bill. Nice job, love reading posts like this.

LostDoggy
19-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Can't wait for the season to start!!!! Havn't been this excited or optimistic about an up coming season since BBBBAZZA LINED UP FOR US!
Looking forward to our HIGH OCTANE(HEH HEH) play on at all costs game style.
Its going to be ipONE HELL OF A RIDE BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!

STRAP YOURSELVES IN!!! ;)

F'scary
21-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Can't wait for the season to start!!!! Havn't been this excited or optimistic about an up coming season since BBBBAZZA LINED UP FOR US!
Looking forward to our HIGH OCTANE(HEH HEH) play on at all costs game style.
Its going to be ipONE HELL OF A RIDE BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!

STRAP YOURSELVES IN!!! ;)

The changes to our playing style that Beveridge has been promoting have got my interest as much as the turnover of our list. It will rely on us keeping our confidence up on field. To me, that is going to be the big question. Confidence.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Great time of the year anything is possible

azabob
21-02-2015, 12:00 PM
The key for Beveridge is finding the right balance.

With Eade era the criticsm was we were not hard enough defensively when the finals came around.

With McCarteny perhaps we were too defensively minded, but still not good enough at the defensive side.

Stating the bleeding obvious, but Beveridge and Co need to find the right balance between having the ability to attack and defend and most importantly know when it is time to do which one.

Bulldog Joe
21-02-2015, 03:06 PM
I am genuinely excited and don't get why so many think we are bottom four bound.

I expect to challenge for finals and think we will see some exciting footy.

When I look at the list I see some genuine long term stars

Libb
Bonti
Stringer
Macrae

all have the potential to be All Australians

I also believe that the following are looking to be very good players

Hunter
Hrovat
Dahlhaus

That is 7 players with match winning ability and all very young.
I can't recall ever having so much young talent at the one time.

That doesn't consider what Tom Boyd may eventually bring and there are several more who will be solid performers.

Twodogs
21-02-2015, 03:57 PM
I am genuinely excited and don't get why so many think we are bottom four bound.

I expect to challenge for finals and think we will see some exciting footy.

When I look at the list I see some genuine long term stars

Libb
Bonti
Stringer
Macrae

all have the potential to be All Australians

I also believe that the following are looking to be very good players

Hunter
Hrovat
Dahlhaus

That is 7 players with match winning ability and all very young.
I can't recall ever having so much young talent at the one time.

That doesn't consider what Tom Boyd may eventually bring and there are several more who will be solid performers.

Roughead with two functioning shoulders is a big bonus too. And I think Minson will have a better season this year.

Bulldog Joe
21-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Roughead with two functioning shoulders is a big bonus too. And I think Minson will have a better season this year.

Agreed.

We can cause some discomfort to the competition.

Twodogs
21-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Agreed.

I think Minson will get more support from Cordy and Campbell this year and will play better for it. Instead of being exhausted twenty minutes into a quarter but carrying on regardless he will be able to sit on the bench for five minutes to prepare for the next quarter while one of the above finishes the quarter.c.

Go_Dogs
22-02-2015, 05:08 AM
Agreed.

We are the danger?

Maddog37
22-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Based on average age and average games played we are in for a super tough year.

The Underdog
22-02-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm looking forward to the development of the kids, watching Murph as captain and another year of defending Koby Stevens

bornadog
22-02-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm looking forward to the development of the kids, watching Murph as captain and another year of defending Koby Stevens

With the departure of Griff and Coons, Koby needs to step up

F'scary
22-02-2015, 04:26 PM

With the departure of Griff and Coons, Koby needs to step up

You're not saying to us that his on-field performance is going to need defending, are you, Unders?:)

The Underdog
22-02-2015, 05:11 PM
You're not saying to us that his on-field performance is going to need defending, are you, Unders?:)

To be honest I think he needs to work on getting his hands on the ball more often and probably using his physicality a little bit more than he does (he should be averaging more tackles than he is) but I think he's tracking pretty well otherwise, handy in the forward line and a reliable user of the footy.

F'scary
22-02-2015, 09:57 PM
To be honest I think he needs to work on getting his hands on the ball more often and probably using his physicality a little bit more than he does (he should be averaging more tackles than he is) but I think he's tracking pretty well otherwise, handy in the forward line and a reliable user of the footy.

Look, I agree with you. I think he needs to run with the ball much more often - draw opponents, take some risks with being tackled (all the good players do that).

Physically, he is right up there, which is important for a young side like ours. He is a pretty good mark for his size. Has stamina. He gets some goals when rotated onto the forward line. Just needs to go that extra step to be a really good player. Carry the ball more, get a few more possessions a game.

Twodogs
22-02-2015, 10:04 PM

Dare I say it but deep forward he reminds me a bit of Brad Johnson. He can get his foot to the ball and get it through the goal from all sorts of positions, he's good overhead and strong in the contest if there's a shot at goal on offer.and he's a goos set shot for goal.

F'scary
22-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Dare I say it but deep forward he reminds me a bit of Brad Johnson. He can get his foot to the ball and get it through the goal from all sorts of positions, he's good overhead and strong in the contest if there's a shot at goal on offer.and he's a goos set shot for goal.

Stevens could be the guy keeping Dickson and Grant in the two's. But I am hoping he also does some good time in the midfield too.