PDA

View Full Version : OPEN TRAINING - Dogs go back to the future with late time-slot

bornadog
17-02-2015, 09:59 PM
The Western Bulldogs are adding nostalgic flavour to the training program in 2015, moving the start time of Tuesday sessions to late in the afternoon and allowing more fans to get close to the action.

The Club will trial the new fan-friendly open training time slot of 4.30pm, starting next Tuesday 24 February, and will include activities such as regular autograph sessions, and opportunities for fans to have a kick on Victoria University Whitten Oval at the conclusion of training.

Senior Coach Luke Beveridge said the new format will have multiple benefits, and was designed to maximise training opportunities and also reach out to the Bulldogs faithful — bringing footy back to the fans.

“There are some real benefits for our football program in the later start, like the option of increasing training loads with the extra few hours of recovery our players will get,” Beveridge said.

“This initiative will also be beneficial for our fans giving them more opportunities to get closer to their favourite players, particularly families who can bring their children along to watch training after school.”

“We look forward to seeing our fans out here in numbers beginning next week.”

SlimPickens
17-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Great concept. Still won't be able to attend but think it's a great idea

Eastdog
17-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Good concept.

Smads57
17-02-2015, 10:39 PM
An incentive to get away for work a little earlier (on Tuesday's at least)

Twodogs
17-02-2015, 11:13 PM
That's a great initiative by the club. I've known for years that footy training is one of the undiscovered jots of Melbourne. You can go along and stand along the fence watching full scale games of football one day and a futball tournamen over two hours between 45 professional footballers the next. Yesterday another guy and I spoke to Simon Dalrymple for ten minutes about who our ifavourite bulldog picks from the draft were. It's a footy tragic's theme park and it's free.

Anyone who gets the chance to to go along to training because it's in the afternoon should take the opportunity to do it. You'll get to see the players up close and personal.

F'scary
17-02-2015, 11:21 PM
And you can have a few cans while you watch.

westdog54
18-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Good to see the coach embracing the 'arvo shift'. Making an effort to connect with the fans .Can be good for some of the older players with families, give them an opportunity to take kids to school/kinder etc. Sounds win/win to me. Fantastic initiative.

lemmon
18-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Hopefully there'll be a few of the tragic dads among us dragging the little ones down straight from school. We all talk about the need for growth, well that's the age bracket we are going to find it in

Bulldog4life
18-02-2015, 03:41 PM
That's a great initiative by the club. I've known for years that footy training is one of the undiscovered jots of Melbourne. You can go along and stand along the fence watching full scale games of football one day and a futball tournamen over two hours between 45 professional footballers the next. Yesterday another guy and I spoke to Simon Dalrymple for ten minutes about who our ifavourite bulldog picks from the draft were. It's a footy tragic's theme park and it's free.

Anyone who gets the chance to to go along to training because it's in the afternoon should take the opportunity to do it. You'll get to see the players up close and personal.

And who was yours Twodogs?

LostDoggy
18-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Why do you ask?

Twodogs
18-02-2015, 07:23 PM
And who was yours Twodogs?

Caleb Daniel easily. He's got that ability to make the game slow down in front of him when he has the ball. And he is such a beautiful kick. He's like a mini Bob Murphy.

Twodogs
18-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Why do you ask?

Heh!

:D

Remi Moses
19-02-2015, 01:26 AM
Great initiave from the club and shocked this hasn't been done before.
Clubs play mid arvo onwards anyway.
Unfortunately going to be hard to attend with hip hop Jazz ballet Gymnastics getting in the way.

Twodogs
19-02-2015, 03:10 AM
Yeah. Those hip hop jazz ballet lessons can be at very inconvenient times.

Hotdog60
19-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Great initiave from the club and shocked this hasn't been done before.
Clubs play mid arvo onwards anyway.
Unfortunately going to be hard to attend with hip hop Jazz ballet Gymnastics getting in the way.

All that must keep you fit and flexible.....:)

1eyedog
19-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Good to see the coach embracing the 'arvo shift'. Making an effort to connect with the fans .Can be good for some of the older players with families, give them an opportunity to take kids to school/kinder etc. Sounds win/win to me. Fantastic initiative.

Completely agree. I can now pick my kid up from school and easily make it to the ground to watch training. We'll start doing this most Tuesdays now.

Twodogs
19-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Completely agree. I can now pick my kid up from school and easily make it to the ground to watch training. We'll start doing this most Tuesdays now.

I think quite a few dads might be doing that. It's always great to see heaps of kids running all over WHitten Oval.

bornadog
19-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Living in the East, this would not suit as the traffic there and back is just at the wrong time, but great idea for those majority who can make it.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Can you take a beer to the ground during these training sessions?

Eastdog
19-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Living in the East, this would not suit as the traffic there and back is just at the wrong time, but great idea for those majority who can make it.

Yep that makes it difficult. Dynon Road, Princes Hwy, The West Gate etc would be really bad at this time approaching peak hour.

Bulldog4life
19-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Caleb Daniel easily. He's got that ability to make the game slow down in front of him when he has the ball. And he is such a beautiful kick. He's like a mini Bob Murphy.

Yes I am looking forward to seeing Caleb play too.

Twodogs
19-02-2015, 08:58 PM

Train.

Yep that makes it difficult. Dynon Road, Princes Hwy, The West Gate etc would be really bad at this time approaching peak hour.

Train.

Why would you drive anyway? The train would be quicker anyway wouldn't it?

Eastdog
19-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Yep for sure TD. The train at least you would have a smoother run and not get caught in traffic jams.

Twodogs
19-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Yep for sure TD. The train at least you would have a smoother run and not get caught in traffic jams.

That's right Easty. And it's a two minute walk from the station to the ground.

Cyberdoggie
23-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Train.

Train.

There's about 400 train stations and two different trains to catch from my house in the outer east.
I think even a car in peak hour is quicker than the train, the only area you get traffic is from the city going out west, everything up to then is against the traffic.

It's actually not that bad.

If you were going the other way say Footscray to Waverley park I'd say forget it.

Twodogs
23-02-2015, 04:13 PM
There's about 400 train stations and two different trains to catch from my house in the outer east.
I think even a car in peak hour is quicker than the train, the only area you get traffic is from the city going out west, everything up to then is against the traffic.

It's actually not that bad.

If you were going the other way say Footscray to Waverley park I'd say forget it.

Did that trip by car and PT many times. I was there the night KT did his knee, I was there the night Dennis Lillee and Garth la Roux actually went nose to nose in the middle of the pitch, I saw us win a final there. I think I even snogged a girl for the first time there!

bornadog
24-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Starts tonight 4.30

Note: This Thursday is a closed session.

Twodogs
24-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Starts tonight 4.30

Note: This Thursday is a closed session.

Wonder if Bevo will have the cafes glass wall covered up?

bornadog
24-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Wonder if Bevo will have the cafes glass wall covered up?

Yeah, they could put some roll down blinds.

LostDoggy
24-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Yeah, they could put some roll down blinds.

I saw the workmen erecting massive walls along Geelong Road this arvo as I took the kids to swimming.

Go_Dogs
24-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Anyone get along?

Bulldog4life
25-02-2015, 03:06 AM
Train.

Train.

Living in Rosebud I decided to train it to Etihad station once last season I drove to Frankston station and caught the train to Southern Cross station. Never again. It took so long there and back. I will always drive to either Etihad and Footscray.

The Underdog
25-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Living in Rosebud I decided to train it to Etihad station once last season I drove to Frankston station and caught the train to Southern Cross station. Never again. It took so long there and back. I will always drive to either Etihad and Footscray.

Any good parking tips for the current Whitten Oval on match days from locals or regulars?

Twodogs
25-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Any good parking tips for the current Whitten Oval on match days from locals or regulars?

If you don't mind a five minute walk there is a car park in Barkly st opposite Sim's supermarket next to the Post Office. Keep going past the ground and its on the right at the second set of lights.

Cyberdoggie
25-02-2015, 04:16 PM
If you don't mind a five minute walk there is a car park in Barkly st opposite Sim's supermarket next to the Post Office. Keep going past the ground and its on the right at the second set of lights.

I'll keep that in mind.

Can you park on Cross st these days?

bornadog
25-02-2015, 04:48 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

Can you park on Cross st these days?

That area has completely changed with modern housing popping up. I am guessing it will be marked residence parking area only.

bornadog
25-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Some training video from last night

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-02-25/putting-on-a-show

Who is number 37?

Greystache
25-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Some training video from last night

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-02-25/putting-on-a-show

Who is number 37?

Roarke Smith

Smads57
25-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Anyone get along?

I was there. There is vision on the Bulldog website that covers some of the activities the players were involved in.

One thing I noticed that I hadn't seen at previous training sessions this year, was the players being handed small cards (not all players), and then going out and assuming positions on the ground - I assumed the cards being handed out indicated certain field positions the players needed to assume according to identified "set plays".

it was interesting to see the players practicing what would normally be discussed in the club's "classroom" out on the ground.

Comments on the new players:
Caleb continues to impress with his disposal
Roarke Smith has a terrific athletic build (just hope he can also play)
i like Hamling (couldn't see Roberts or Talia last night)
Toby McLean is a nice kick for goal - a natural from what I seen.
Declan moved well - looks a serious young man....
Bailey Dale got involved (his slight frame not holding him back)
Tom - what can I say - lovely kick, a big frame, comfortable marking action (on the end of a Daniel pass)
Biggs - distinctive in his reversed cap, moves well and looks a good linking option between the backline and forward line
Kelly - only picked him up a couple of times, so jury out for the moment

bornadog
25-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Roarke Smith

Thanks

F'scary
25-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Looked at the video - it is excellent to see what appeared to be a drill that encourages players to run and carry: Kobe looked so much better (53 secs) as he jets for the full distance instead of immediately propping and looking to handball backwards.

bornadog
04-03-2015, 10:56 AM
From Yesterday

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-03-03/hard-running

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Looked at the video - it is excellent to see what appeared to be a drill that encourages players to run and carry: Kobe looked so much better (53 secs) as he jets for the full distance instead of immediately propping and looking to handball backwards.

That's what good footballers do instinctively. It's stopping and looking sideways and kicking the ball backwards that is counter intuitive.

F'scary
04-03-2015, 09:12 PM
That's what good footballers do instinctively. It's stopping and looking sideways and kicking the ball backwards that is counter intuitive.

I have the feeling that he had some coaching in the past that told him that hot-potato was the way to go. Perhaps Bevo can re-educate him to become a bit more of a line breaker and a run and carry player - that is what is missing from his game based on 2013 & 2014.

1eyedog
04-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Infinitely harder to do with a hardened well seasoned opposition guarding space or setting up zones against you.

F'scary
04-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Infinitely harder to do with a hardened well seasoned opposition guarding space or setting up zones against you.

Take 'em on, Kobe!

LostDoggy
05-03-2015, 12:20 AM

Not when he can just roll his eyes back into his head like the great white shark that he is and just plough through them!

Eastdog
17-03-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm not really a training attendee but did any woofers go this afternoon?

Twodogs
17-03-2015, 07:43 PM
I'm not really a training attendee but didn't any woofers go this afternoon?

Dont know if training was on Easty. I drove past the ground about 5.30 on my way to mum and dad's place and there was nobody there.

Eastdog
17-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Dont know if training was on Easty. I drove past the ground about 5.30 on my way to mum and dad's place and there was nobody there.

Probably as I believe it's members week a small members event that wrapped up early.

Pickenitup
02-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Hey Guys does anyone if we are training tomorrow?

Twodogs
02-04-2015, 06:48 PM
I'm not.

Eastdog
02-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Hey Guys does anyone if we are training tomorrow?

Our club website should have the details.

bornadog
15-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Tomorrow's training will start at 3.30

Eastdog
18-06-2015, 02:01 PM
How did Tuesday afternoon training go for woofers that attendee the session.

bornadog
06-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Opening training in Cairns - Friday 10am to 11am

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Opening training in Cairns - Friday 10am to 11am

Might have to give that one a miss.

azabob
06-07-2015, 08:03 PM

And i thought you were a true supporter...

The Underdog
06-07-2015, 08:24 PM

I think I've already planned a reef tour for then. Just have to make do with the match.

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 09:04 PM
I think I've already planned a reef tour for then. Just have to make do with the match.

Don't miss the reef. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

It's spectacular and it's getting smaller.

bornadog
21-07-2015, 03:26 PM
From the Club:

OPEN TRAINING: Tonight’s open session will start at 3:45pm, not 4:30pm as previously advertised. Apologies for any inconvenience caused

bornadog
18-08-2015, 05:17 PM
The Bulldogs will hold an open training session at Domain Stadium on Saturday 22 August at 1:30pm (WST).

For all you WA based fans, get out there and report back