PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 of NAB Cup 2015

GVGjr
22-02-2015, 05:36 PM
We play Richmond this Saturday at the Whitten Oval in the first round of the 2015 NAB Cup.

Assuming we have a 6 man IC bench what is our likely line-up and what are you looking on top of a Bulldogs win?

GVGjr
22-02-2015, 05:51 PM
This is how I see us lining up:

Backs

Johannisen

Talia

Wood

H/Backs

Murphy

Roughead

Hamling

Centres

Macrae

Hrovat

Stevens

H/Forwards

Dahlhaus

Redpath

Bontempelli

Forwards

Stringer

T.Boyd
Hunter

Rucks

Minson

Picken

Liberatore

IC

A.Cordy

Jong

Daniel

Grant

Goodes

Biggs

Looking forward to seeing improvement from Jong and the start of a long career for Caleb Daniel

boydogs
22-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Beveridge has said we will be fair dinkum in the NAB cup whilst other sides give their kids a go and try a few things as we need to practice the new gameplan. So guys like Morris, Minson, Murphy, M Boyd who may have otherwise been rested could play, and if we see Biggs, Jong, Campbell, Redpath in there it's a good sign for their prospects in the real deal

Hotdog60
22-02-2015, 06:35 PM
This is how I see us lining up:

Backs

Johannisen

Talia

Wood

H/Backs

Murphy

Roughead

Hamling

Centres

Macrae

Hrovat

Stevens

H/Forwards

Dahlhaus

Redpath

Bontempelli

Forwards

Stringer

T.Boyd
Hunter

Rucks

Minson

Picken

Liberatore

IC

A.Cordy

Jong

Daniel

Grant

Boyd

Biggs

Looking forward to seeing improvement from Jong and the start of a long career for Caleb Daniel

Good line up the only change would be M.Boyd for Goodes

GVGjr
22-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Good line up the only change would be M.Boyd for Goodes

Ideally I wanted to rest guys like Murphy and M.Boyd and I think Goodes has been fit all pre-season so I think he is the right fit for us.

boydogs
22-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Ideally I wanted to rest guys like Murphy and M.Boyd and I think Goodes has been fit all pre-season so I think he is the right fit for us.

Goodes is a rookie

GVGjr
22-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Goodes is a rookie

And we can play him in the the NAB cup

The Bulldogs Bite
22-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Quite a few things I can't wait to see (eg. Stringer, Bonti etc) but aside from that here's a few things:

1 - How we move the football, how we structure up around stoppages, how we defend. In shorter terms - the new game plan. Realistically we won't really see how we stack up until 4-5 weeks into the season proper, but we should at least get an initial indication as to how we want to play. Much has been made about faster ball movement, but I hope we don't go kamikaze.

2 - How a number of fringe players perform, namely Jong and Redpath who could be two potentially important players for structural purposes. We need these two to stand up, among a few others.

3 - Any noticeable positional changes (eg. Hunter down back, JJ on a wing etc.)

boydogs
22-02-2015, 09:09 PM
And we can play him in the the NAB cup

Sorry didn't realise. Still don't think we will though given Bevo's comments re. our approach

Hotdog60
22-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Sorry didn't realise. Still don't think we will though given Bevo's comments re. our approach

I agree, we want results early I think to get the fans involved and to show hope of things to come.

GVGjr
22-02-2015, 10:12 PM

Based on the track form I have seen plus the need to manage the older guys I don't think we lose much if anything having Goodes in for M.Boyd. We will field a strong team each NAB cup game but it will also have a sense of balancing things to make sure we are right for round 1 of the home and away season. It could just as easily be Honeychurch for Goodes or Boyd.

F'scary
22-02-2015, 10:14 PM
This is probably going to an extreme but I would like to see players who need to get a go or to develop or to build on their emergence last season. Hence:

B: Prudden, Hamling, Webb
HB: M Boyd, Talia, Darley
C: Biggs, Stevens, R Smith
HF: Hunter, Redpath, Grant
F: Honeychurch, T Boyd, Dickson
R: Cordy, Jong, Hrovat
IC: Fuller, McLean, Hamilton, Dale, Daniel, Kelly

I haven't picked Campbell or Roberts due to their preseason being set back somewaht by injury.

Hotdog60
22-02-2015, 10:37 PM
This is probably going to an extreme but I would like to see players who need to get a go or to develop or to build on their emergence last season. Hence:

I haven't picked Campbell or Roberts due to their preseason being set back somewaht by injury.

You got Rohan to put the boots back on..:):)

boydogs
22-02-2015, 10:41 PM
Based on the track form I have seen plus the need to manage the older guys I don't think we lose much if anything having Goodes in for M.Boyd. We will field a strong team each NAB cup game but it will also have a sense of balancing things to make sure we are right for round 1 of the home and away season. It could just as easily be Honeychurch for Goodes or Boyd.

It's not about how much we might lose from resting someone, it's about giving the guys who will play for us in the H&A season the opportunity to practice the new game plan in match conditions.

We may still rest some older guys but I think we are more likely to see Honeychurch in than a rookie

This may be the sort of team we fielded if Macca was still in charge but with Bevo's new game plan to learn I don't think we are likely to see raw guys like Dale or rookies like Kelly & Smith who aren't much chance to play this year featuring

F'scary
22-02-2015, 10:46 PM
You got Rohan to put the boots back on..:):)

I'll give the Captain Obvious response: if young Roarke is half as good as Rohan Smith was, everyone will be very satisfied with the choice of him as a recruit.:cool:

F'scary
22-02-2015, 10:48 PM
It's not about how much we might lose from resting someone, it's about giving the guys who will play for us in the H&A season the opportunity to practice the new game plan in match conditions.

We may still rest some older guys but I think we are more likely to see Honeychurch in than a rookie

This may be the sort of team we fielded if Macca was still in charge but with Bevo's new game plan to learn I don't think we are likely to see raw guys like Dale or rookies like Kelly & Smith who aren't much chance to play this year featuring

A brutal dissing of my selections.

GVGjr
22-02-2015, 10:56 PM

It's the NAB cup game but yet you selected a team more in line a VFL practice game.

GVGjr
22-02-2015, 11:05 PM
I think the main aim of putting out a strong squad but also with the view to develop some of the deserving youngsters.
I think the likes of Talia, Hamling, Biggs, Johannisen, Hrovat, Hunter, Jong and Daniel need a good run at it so that we have as many players ready for senior football. I'll accept resting some of the more senior ready players like Morris, Murphy, Minson and M.Boyd if we get the balance right.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2015, 11:18 PM
I just want footy. That first siren means it's not the off season which had a lot of bad things go wrong. It's the new dawn.

F'scary
22-02-2015, 11:37 PM
I think the main aim of putting out a strong squad but also with the view to develop some of the deserving youngsters.
I think the likes of Talia, Hamling, Biggs, Johannisen, Hrovat, Hunter, Jong and Daniel need a good run at it so that we have as many players ready for senior football. I'll accept resting some of the more senior ready players like Morris, Murphy, Minson and M.Boyd if we get the balance right.

It is a long season, I am a bit concerned about going all out in the NAB Cup. However, I will concede that the new Coach, Bevo, wants to take every opportunity to hone the new game plan and playing style; Good NAB Cup results can also sell memberships and create some momentum going into the home-and-away season. So maybe I'll resubmit my selections for the first VFL practice match as you suggest.

LostDoggy
23-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Having seen training a few times, I would prefer not to play Murphy. He is in absolute terrific condition and moving just about as good as he ever has. I would play him in our final NAB match and that's it.

Would love to see Biggs/Darley and JJ be given a chance to show us what they can do.

boydogs
23-02-2015, 12:23 AM

Not at all, just the difference between learning the new coach's game plan and not

Remember East West Day got moved because Bevo didn't want to miss a single session getting us used to it

GVGjr
23-02-2015, 02:38 AM
Having seen training a few times, I would prefer not to play Murphy. He is in absolute terrific condition and moving just about as good as he ever has. I would play him in our final NAB match and that's it.

Would love to see Biggs/Darley and JJ be given a chance to show us what they can do.

I don't mind that suggestion. Darley could be a good replacement for the opening game

F'scary
24-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Not at all, just the difference between learning the new coach's game plan and not

Remember East West Day got moved because Bevo didn't want to miss a single session getting us used to it

Bevo's game plan = having some numbers in front of the ball so that it can be moved forward.

bornadog
25-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Match Day Information

Western Bulldogs vs Richmond

Saturday 28 February 2014, 4:40pm
Gates open: 3:00pm
Venue: Victoria University Whitten Oval
Broadcast:
TV: Fox Footy (live)
Radio: Triple M (live), SEN (live – via CrocMedia)

Match Day ticketing

Ticket sales will be available on the day should the match not sell out in advance, via a ticket booth outside the main entrance to VU Whitten Oval on Whitten Avenue. This will be the only match day ticket purchase point.

Capacity or the venue is strictly limited to 12,000 and the Western Bulldogs strongly recommend members upgrade their membership to a general admission ticket and fans pre-purchase tickets in advance to guarantee entry as once this capacity is reached, no further tickets will be sold.
Tickets can be purchase through Ticketmaster online here (http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/Whitten-Oval-tickets-West-Footscray/venue/155718), via phone (136 100) or at any Ticketmaster outlet, including VU Whitten Oval.

Venue information

Barkers Café as well as food and beverage outlets will be open before and during the match. Patrons bringing their own food please note glass is prohibited from being brought into the venue.
As per AFL games, umbrellas will not be allowed to be put up.
VU Whitten Oval is a non-smoking venue.
No dogs besides the mighty Western Bulldogs taking the field are permitted into the venue.
No chairs are permitted to be brought into the venue.
The Bulldog Museum will be closed on match day.
Check out the VU Whitten Oval precinct map here (http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Club%20Promos/2014%20Club%20Promos/Events/NAB%20Challenge%20Supporter%20Map.pdf) to see where everything is located.

Cyberdoggie
25-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Parking is going to be fun.
Nothing at the ground, where is the best place to park outside the ground these days?

bornadog
25-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Nothing at the ground, where is the best place to park outside the ground these days?

Better get on the train

Eastdog
25-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Just got my ticket!

Yep id say the train would be your best bet Cyberdoggie. For me it would be the Belgrave line to Flinders St then from Flinders to West Footscray on the Sunbury line.

jazzadogs
25-02-2015, 10:43 PM

I have to be somewhere straight after the game so have to drive as well...would love to hear some recommendations!

LostDoggy
25-02-2015, 10:56 PM
I'll hopefully be parking in the West Footscray Station car park. You can park on the Whitten Oval side or on the other side of the station and walk across.

F'scary
25-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Got myself a ticket. Yippee!!! I'll be there.:D

Eastdog
25-02-2015, 11:48 PM
Got myself a ticket. Yippee!!! I'll be there.:D

GA Standing is what I got. I would say the whole grandstand would be filled out.

Bulldog Joe
26-02-2015, 12:19 AM
Unfortunately I am unable to make it and I have now had my foxtel box die and they tell me it will take 7 days to replace.

NOT. HAPPY.

lemmon
26-02-2015, 12:57 AM
This will be my first taste of football at its real home...I'm pumped!

Eastdog
26-02-2015, 01:06 AM
This will be my first taste of football at its real home...I'm pumped!

Me too lemmon. Will be great to experience a match day at the Western/Whitten Oval especially being a supporter of the Dogs since 2001.

Remi Moses
26-02-2015, 03:19 AM
I'd suggest park near Sims supermarket about a couple minute drive along Barkly st .
Has a decent sized car park .
Spewing I can't attend ( clashing with the Foo Fighters at Etihad )

LostDoggy
26-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Park on the other side of Geelong Road. Seems a long walk when you look across to the ground but it's actually quite short.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm normally quite non-plussed by pre-season games.. but must admit I am very much excited by the prospect of seeing such a completely different line-up to those we've seen for many a year.
I think our defense & our inexperienced midfield this year is going to see us struggle to win many games, but with such a young line-up success for me is going to be driven my factors other than win/losses.

bornadog
26-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Weather not looking brilliant with a top of 34 expected.

bornadog
26-02-2015, 02:01 PM
TEAMS

WESTERN BULLDOGS

1. Jarrad Grant, 2. Robert Murphy, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Marcus Bontempelli,5. Matthew Boyd, 6. Luke Dahlhaus, 7. Lachlan Hunter, 9. Jake Stringer, 10. Easton Wood, 11. Jackson Macrae, 13. Nathan Hrovat, 15 Tom Campbell, 17. Tom Boyd, 21. Tom Liberatore, 22. Mitch Honeychurch, 23. Jordan Roughead, 25. Koby Stevens, 27. Will Minson, 28. Josh Prudden,29. Tory Dickson, 30. Joel Hamling, 32. Michael Talia, 33. Sam Darley, 38. Dale Morris, 39. Jason Johannisen, 42. Liam Picken, 43. Jack Redpath, 46. Lin Jong, 49 Ayce Cordy

RICHMOND

2. Dylan Grimes, 5. Brandon Ellis, 6. Shaun Grigg, 10. Shane Edwards, 11. Jake Batchelor, 12. David Astbury, 13. Ricky Petterd, 15. Chris Knights, 16. Shaun Hampson, 22. Nathan Gordon, 26. Anthony Miles, 27. Sam Lloyd, 28. Taylor Hunt, 29. Ty Vickery, 30. Reece Conca, 31. Nick Vlastuin, 34. Liam McBean, 35. Ben Lennon, 36. Matt McDonough, 37. Connor Menadue, 38. Steve Morris, 39. Nathan Drummond, 40. Daniel Butler, 42. Reece McKenzie, 43. Todd Elton, 44. Matt Arnot, 45. Jayden Short, 46. Jason Castagna, 48. Kane Lambert

Greystache
26-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Huge squads obviously, but we're pretty much full strength while Richmond looks like they're going to play a weak team.

westdog54
26-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Huge squads obviously, but we're pretty much full strength while Richmond looks like they're going to play a weak team.

Its a very strong squad. I think Beveridge has well and truly made his intentions clear.

Happy Days
26-02-2015, 02:58 PM
I'm ready for 7 more years of feeling uneasy any time The Boss is on the field in a pre-season game. Stomach is already in knots.

Related note, I can't go to or even *watch* the game because I'll be at a 90th birthday party. Modern medicine is the worst.

boydogs
26-02-2015, 03:45 PM

All of our first 11 players by number are in except Crameri, whereas Richmond only named 5 of them in the squad of 29

Cyberdoggie
26-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately I am unable to make it and I have now had my foxtel box die and they tell me it will take 7 days to replace.

NOT. HAPPY.

There was an email sent during the week for access to the games via the afl app for 4 weeks.

That might work for you

jeemak
26-02-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm looking forward to getting a glimpse of Prudden and Hamling, whilst I hope Talia and Redpath show signs of progress.

chef
26-02-2015, 06:17 PM

NOT. HAPPY.

Foxtel Go it on your computer or tablet.

wimberga
26-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Looks like a good squad.

Surprised we won't see any of our first year draftees though.

josie
26-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Was so hoping to see Biggs and especially Caleb. Perhaps they will get a gig in one of later matches.

Apart from that I am so looking forward to this game (except the high temp).

Suspecting the roar when Big Tom Boyd takes a specie or kicks a goal will be a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Go Dogs !!

F'scary
26-02-2015, 08:06 PM
GA Standing is what I got. I would say the whole grandstand would be filled out.

me too, Easty

bulldogtragic
26-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Weak. They didn't want to expose Rance on Boyd or give us a chance to give him some advice to take FA to us.

Grigg, Houli, Petterd, Hampson and others. Their list is certifiably clogged, although interested to see Menadue & McKenzie out of interest.

LostDoggy
26-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Got tickets today,GA standing,grandstand seating sold out.
Will be there with Dad and Bro.
Catching train from south east-maybe dandy all the way to West Footscray.
Can't wait for Saturday, AM SO PUMPED!!!!!!!!

Bulldog Joe
26-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Foxtel Go doesn't give Fox Footy.

mjp
26-02-2015, 09:56 PM

True. But afl live pass does and you can get a free 4-week trial here:https://id.afl.com.au/livepass

bulldogtragic
26-02-2015, 09:57 PM

I'm watching fox footy on Foxtel GO (IPad) now??

Hotdog60
26-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Just went to my desktop and launch foxtel go. No fox footy.

Remi Moses
26-02-2015, 10:53 PM
That's interesting as I watched a part of the game on Foxtel go

Hotdog60
26-02-2015, 11:15 PM
I wonder if it's worth uninstalling and reinstalling as it's never been there.

Hotdog60
26-02-2015, 11:23 PM
I just uninstalled and reinstalled and still no fox footy. I can get it on the IQ. I wonder if it's to do with being north of the border. In thugby territory.

bulldogtragic
26-02-2015, 11:46 PM
I just uninstalled and reinstalled and still no fox footy. I can get it on the IQ. I wonder if it's to do with being north of the border. In thugby territory.

I just did a Google search. Foxtel Go has split fox footy rights.... You can NOT get fox footy on PC or Mac.

You CAN get fox footy on tablets and on phone app.

Hotdog60
27-02-2015, 12:43 AM
Thanks BT,

I just read that as well, although not all phones and tablets:(

My Nexus 7 doesn't have the download in google play only the fox guide.

Anyway I can watch on the IQ, just interesting that I've payed but I don't have all the access that some other do.

Bulldog Joe
27-02-2015, 01:04 PM
True. But afl live pass does and you can get a free 4-week trial here:https://id.afl.com.au/livepass

Have signed up for that.

bornadog
27-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Over 8000 pre sold tickets so far

bulldogtragic
27-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Over 8000 pre sold tickets so far

They better have some more toilets than the one working urinal they had last year... Doesn't Kenny barrack for the bulldogs?

LostDoggy
27-02-2015, 02:09 PM

There was an email sent during the week for access to the games via the afl app for 4 weeks.

That might work for you

I'm happy to do a mind-meld (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Vulcan_mind_meld) with you, you can then watch it through my eyes. Will just have to shut them when I hit the can.

They better have some more toilets than the one working urinal they had last year... Doesn't Kenny barrack for the bulldogs?

Yeah, the Jacobsens are (somewhat) local.

bornadog
27-02-2015, 02:35 PM
One change already to the team, Darley out Jordan Kelly in.

Greystache
27-02-2015, 03:15 PM

There's a row of them lined up along the fence on the Barkley St side. Last year was pretty tough going!

Cyberdoggie
27-02-2015, 03:34 PM
There's a row of them lined up along the fence on the Barkley St side. Last year was pretty tough going!

Here's the precinct map with facilities.

Looks like toilets at Barkley st and some south of the grand stand.
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Club%20Promos/2014%20Club%20Promos/Events/NAB%20Challenge%20Supporter%20Map.pdf

bornadog
27-02-2015, 04:27 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10408111_10153081439947487_6059937316878799315_n.jpg?oh=f7a8 776042a0db7773041e2f4785abab&oe=55864F3C&__gda__=1434082115_fc91918467b82c54816e03d96331f161

The ground is ready

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
27-02-2015, 04:31 PM
No sign of the scoreboard I thought we were getting so we didn't have to use the roadworks one

divvydan
27-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Due to the expected heat, both teams tomorrow can use 8 on interchange, rather than 6 and 2 subs.

dog town
28-02-2015, 07:59 AM
You would think we would get a nice little financial collect out of a sold out game in pre season. Anyone know what the break down is in terms of what the AFL get and what we get from gate and catering?

The Doctor
28-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Where's Fuller?

Twodogs
28-02-2015, 12:34 PM
You would think we would get a nice little financial collect out of a sold out game in pre season. Anyone know what the break down is in terms of what the AFL get and what we get from gate and catering?

I don't know about catering but the AFL take 100% of the gate.

LostDoggy
28-02-2015, 09:13 PM

They were Splashdown dunnies too (the company from Kenny).

There was a massive shortage of drinks today. All vans sold out very quick. Next time I'd suggest taking a large water bottle.