PDA

View Full Version : Three reasons to be excited

Twodogs
23-02-2015, 08:20 PM
1/ more attacking game plan. With a target to actually kick to it sounds like the shackles might be off. Long bombs to Snake (Google it) is an exciting gameplan and the modern variation of it will do me.

2/ Boyd, Bontempelli, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Liberatore, Hunter, Stringer, Hrovat, I've never seen a more exciting array of young talent-with the prospect some could become truly elite-at the club in my time. Brisbane had a big forward and a bunch of elite kids in the late '90s that won them three flags in a row. I reckon these kids could give four a shake.

3/ The rebirth of the Whitten Oval. Last year saw rage rebirth of the club and this year sees the rebirth of the ground. The doggies are back at Whitten Oval and I can't wait until Saturday.

comrade
23-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Brisbane had a big forward and a bunch of elite kids in the late '90s that won them three flags in a row. I reckon these kids could give four a shake.

Mate, 1 will do me and every other supporter out there :D

Twodogs
23-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Mate, 1 will do me and every other supporter out there :D

One for the players, one for the fans, one for the district and one for the hell of it!

Dry Rot
23-02-2015, 09:29 PM
1. Caleb

2. Daniel

3. Headgear

Flamethrower
23-02-2015, 09:39 PM

We are the Boyd. You will be obliterated. Resistance is futile.

bulldogtragic
23-02-2015, 09:53 PM
1. A new year. A new dawn. A fresh start. A special era.
2. Boyd, Bont, Stringer, Jackson, Hrovat, Hunter, Libba
3. Surprises. Jong, Jack, Biggs, Hamling or any recruit grabbing up by shoulder and dragging us for a big ride.

Twodogs
23-02-2015, 10:14 PM
1. A new year. A new dawn. A fresh start. A special era.
2. Boyd, Bont, Stringer, Jackson, Hrovat, Hunter, Libba
3. Surprises. Jong, Jack, Biggs, Hamling or any recruit grabbing up by shoulder and dragging us for a big ride.

That's another reason to be cheerful. Some of the guys you have mentioned will step up and become important parts of the puzzle. It's going to be fun seeing which players they are and what parts of the ground they will provide solutions for us for. A big bodied fast midfielder, a quality ball user off half back and a competent tall defender would be ideal.

Mofra
24-02-2015, 12:34 PM
1. With Boyd, Bonti, Stringer and Macrae, we have arguably four out of the best 5 players from two consecutive drafts. I can't recall that ever happening to us before.

2. New gameplan based on fast ball movement will be exciting (and at times infuriating) to watch

3. Jong, Hrovat, Hunter, Talia.... bit players last year who seem set for much bigger years. Hrovat actually having a pre-season for once is a huge boost.

bornadog
24-02-2015, 01:22 PM
I only truly get excited the week before the real season. I am very optimistic and can't wait to see TBoyd, Stringer, Bonti, Macrae, Libba, Dahl, Hunter, Hrovat and how all the young guns are developing. This week is a practice match so I am still to get pumped.

F'scary
24-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Echoing many others' sentiments:

1. Significant list turnover since last season.
2. New Coach.
3. Emerging stars.

Templeton31
24-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Bontempelli
TBoyd
Stringer

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-02-2015, 02:14 PM
1. With Boyd, Bonti, Stringer and Macrae, we have arguably four out of the best 5 players from two consecutive drafts. I can't recall that ever happening to us before.

2. New gameplan based on fast ball movement will be exciting (and at times infuriating) to watch

3. Jong, Hrovat, Hunter, Talia.... bit players last year who seem set for much bigger years. Hrovat actually having a pre-season for once is a huge boost.

1. Hard to argue against the 4 players mentioned as future elite players. The one reservation is the lack of key back men to back up the forward talent.

2. The proposed new game plan will only succeed providing we can dispose of the ball far better than in recent years.

3. Jong and Hrovat should become established regular players. IMO the jury is still out on Hunter and Talia.

Mofra
24-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Jong and Hrovat should become established regular players. IMO the jury is still out on Hunter and Talia.
Interesting. I have Hunter ahead of Jong on the "will he make it" ladder.
Jong has the physical attributes, but Hunter is just such a natural footballer.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2015, 05:54 PM

Agreed. Hunter has copped some criticism from supporters and it surprises me given he's very young (youngest in his draft year?). He has a lot of natural talent, it's the consistent work rate and defensive mindset which needs to catch up. The former appears to be doing that, with some solid times posted in time trials.

1eyedog
24-02-2015, 06:05 PM

I agree, although in the short term given their physical differences and the position Jong will play I think Jong has a greater ability to get into the game and thus may establish himself sooner. Hunter on the other hand does nice things here and there at the moment but the jury certainly isn't out on him, he'll be a very good footballer.

Go_Dogs
24-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Only 3?

1. Minson being fit, despite the generally acknowledged areas he is deficient in, his AA year was huge and if he can replicate that in 2015 it will be a significant boost to for us.

2. Dahlhaus, starting to fly under the radar a bit given the number of exciting young players we have, is an excitement machine who I feel will continue to surprise.

3. Footy starts on Saturday!

Remi Moses
24-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Personally I see the nab cup as an avenue to play the kids
1. Boyd
2. Bontempelli
3. Stringer
Apologies to the other top young talent we have

KT31
24-02-2015, 10:11 PM
1. a beginning of a new season which means we can put seasons 2013 and 2014 behind us.
2. a key forward and some very talented kids to watch us build a future.
3. to never have to here the expression "cracking in", ever again.

Bulldog Revolution
24-02-2015, 10:47 PM

I agree Mofra but Jongy was magic in the VFL finals, and looked like he could become dare I say it? somewhat elite

The players have spoken very highly of his pre-season.

always right
24-02-2015, 10:53 PM
I agree Mofra but Jongy was magic in the VFL finals, and looked like he could become dare I say it? somewhat elite

Not sure his skills will ever elevate him to elite status. I'll be happy if he simply turns out to be very good. Huge year for him.

Twodogs
24-02-2015, 11:17 PM

Some of his efforts to gather the ball at a bounce and put the afterburners on and be 15 metres away before anyone else had even realised what had happened really stood out to me. He did it twice in the last quarter of th Grand Final when almost no one else could raise a trot.

If he can step up and do that sort of thing at AFL level it will provide him a point of difference

ratsmac
24-02-2015, 11:36 PM
1. Footy's back at Whitten Oval.

2. Seeing the new and improved game plan (excited and nervous)

3. Getting a glimpse of the future.

Torpedo
25-02-2015, 08:56 AM
1- Bob Murphy as an inspiring leader captaining the team
2- Jack Macrae go all out in a game and break the record for possessions in a game.
3- Watching this 'boyz to men' season evolve. Seeing the years of work the players,the club,recruiters, BMac and the coaches put in to them allied with Bev's input, start to mature and come together out on the field of dreams.

whythelongface
25-02-2015, 09:31 AM
1. Continuining to watch the development of our young kids. There is so much potential with this lot the likes we have probably never seen, as a collective.

2. Seeing our new game plan in action. Really looking forward to a more exciting attacking game plan with the ability to still be hard at the ball and tackle ferociously (which we saw at times over the last few years).

3. Seeing Ayce Cordy and Jarrad Grant become first team regulars as they both have stellar seasons. Very optimistic I know.

LostDoggy
25-02-2015, 12:25 PM
1. Bevo as coach. Generates positivity and enthusiasm which should make for a much stronger 'club'.
2. Murph as captain. Has empathy and love for the club and the players
3. Stringer. Looking forward to the emergence or beginnings of his ability to dominate games

Bulldog Revolution
25-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Some of his efforts to gather the ball at a bounce and put the afterburners on and be 15 metres away before anyone else had even realised what had happened really stood out to me. He did it twice in the last quarter of th Grand Final when almost no one else could raise a trot.

If he can step up and do that sort of thing at AFL level it will provide him a point of difference

It was his ability to get it and put the jets on and just charge forward with it in hand. Hes not one whose thinking flick it out the back of a pack with a handball, hes looking to charge towards goal when he gets a clearance, which when it works is magnificent.

Smads57
25-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Tough to fit what I am looking forward to into just three points, but here goes:
1. Watching the start of the careers of a group of players that genuinely excite
2. Having a key forward who looks like he could just be ok (being careful not to heap too much expectation on him)
3. Meeting and beating GWS

LostDoggy
25-02-2015, 09:32 PM
I can't even talk about all the things getting me excited without just giggling, shaking all over and wetting my pants. So I'll leave it at:

Stringer.