PDA

View Full Version : NAB Challenge objectives and expectations

lemmon
23-02-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm usually not one to really care much about what happens in practise matches, I've always looked for a kid to standout, for the guys to get some run into their legs and for for us to remain largely injury free but with so much recent uncertainty around the club I think it's become a really important three games for us.

Will the aggressive game-plan come off? Does Beveridge look at home as the main man? Who partners Roughy at the back and how much will we miss the experience going out of the club?

The fixtures against Richmond, Melbourne and Collingwood all present as winnable and to be honest I think we need to snag two of them to get some faith and excitement amongst the supporter base. I'd be putting out close to our best 22 in all three matches and trying to get some stability and cohesion among the best 22.

In saying all that my objectives for the NAB Challenge would be:
1. Win 2 of 3 games with the fixture at Whitten Oval taking on serious importance. We need to get some vitality back among what feels like a weary supporter base, the best way to do that is winning games of footy.

2. Find a partner for Roughy. We really need to use these three games to identify which of Roberts, Hamling or Talia is given first crack to play as the other big defender.

3. Take some heat off Libba, we need one of the younger guys to really step up and become a threat through the middle or Libba will be sat on again this year. Will Stringer become another big body we can through in there? Maybe Kobe is ready to go from battler to good player? Perhaps Bonti becomes on of the few rare talent to stamps themselves as elite at 19 or will it be the mosquito fleet of Hrovat, Dahlhaus and Hunter that starts running sides around? We need someone to step up and become a prime mover in there.

4. Expose Redpath to as much football as possible. Pre-season form points to him being the man to partner Tom Boyd, he needs to prove to himself he can do it at this level. A practice match bag of 4 or 5 might just give him the confidence that turns him into a player.

5. Test out the Cordy/Campbell combo. They were impressive at VFL level last year, this is a chance to give Minson a rest and see if the CC's can do it against better opposition if they must be called upon come the real stuff.

If we are able to answer 2 or 3 of those questions and have some idea about the others I'll be pretty enthused come April and West Coast. What are the key criteria you guys will be watching for or are these practice matches as meaning less as normal?

boydogs
23-02-2015, 09:43 PM
I think we will take it pretty seriously but other clubs won't. I'll be looking for signs of the new gameplan, whether we are all on the same page and are able to execute it plus how effective it is. Our opposition will be half VFL players and half AFL players just turning the legs over so I don't see it as a chance to test whether Redpath, Cordy or Talia will make it

GVGjr
23-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Great thread Lem and I think you hit the nail on the head regarding finding a long term key defender to partner Roughead.

The other important thing it to target 4 or 5 youngsters like Hamling, Redpath, Jong, Talia, Biggs and co and really give them a good taste of the games. If they get beaten then so be it but the experience they gain should benefit the club in the longer term.

LostDoggy
23-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Really good thread.

Like others I think it's massively important for us to get some wins this pre season. When you look at our games:

Richmond @ Whitten Oval - Packed out WO, supporters are hanging out for footy. A good showing here could bring in several thousand members still sitting on the fence.

Melbourne @ Ballarat - First game at Ballarat as our second home. Playing attractive footy and having a win would be the perfect start to what could be a hugely successful relationship with Ballarat.

Collingwood @ Etihad - Ok say we win the first 2, Collingwood bring in a full strength side for the last match of the preseason. We do the same. A win would be huge!

I think this is our most important NAB cup/Preseason cup ever. We have been given just about the perfect fixture to heavily increase our membership numbers. It's up to the players to deliver now.

So freaking excited.

F'scary
23-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Every year different clubs take completely opposite approaches to the NAB Cup. From what I read here and in the press, it looks like we are going to go all out to win it and will play our best 22. The downside of this approach is that we may run out of gas earlier in the season than we may have otherwise. But so be it. I am on board with the go hard go early strategy.

bulldogtragic
23-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Getting everyone to the new game plan at AFL tempo.
Getting kids to learn and gain some insight.
Trying out different KPP selections, combinations.
Play some exciting footy.
Getting everyone to fitness and form as much as possible.

Ozza
26-02-2015, 12:01 PM
With the huge number of changes in the playing group (as well as a new coach), I think we need to be playing as close to our most likely best 22/Round 1 team as possible. Get the players as much time as possible to learn to play together and to implement the fundamentals of the game plan. The increased bench gives the opportunity to give some opportunities to some young/fringe players throughout the campaign.

I understand there will be 4 VFL praccies - so the very young players will get plenty of opportunities to get footy into them before the season starts.

lemmon
26-02-2015, 01:29 PM
The team released looks just about the best we can field in my mind, perhaps Biggs is the only that springs to mind who would be considered unlucky to not be playing round 1. Looks to me like the coaching staff will be attempting to answer some of those questions while winning games of footy. Hamling and Talia will both be on trial and I don't mind the Ayce selection either, some good form and he might throw a cat among the pigeons for the second ruck/utility spot

Happy Days
26-02-2015, 01:32 PM
The team released looks just about the best we can field in my mind, perhaps Biggs is the only that springs to mind who would be considered unlucky to not be playing round 1. Looks to me like the coaching staff will be attempting to answer some of those questions while winning games of footy. Hamling and Talia will both be on trial and I don't mind the Ayce selection either, some good form and he might throw a cat among the pigeons for the second ruck/utility spot

Where's the team?

Happy Days
26-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Wait nvm.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-02-26/experienced-lineup-named

1. Jarrad Grant, 2. Robert Murphy, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Marcus Bontempelli,5. Matthew Boyd, 6. Luke Dahlhaus, 7. Lachlan Hunter, 9. Jake Stringer, 10. Easton Wood, 11. Jackson Macrae, 13. Nathan Hrovat, 15 Tom Campbell, 17. Tom Boyd, 21. Tom Liberatore, 22. Mitch Honeychurch, 23. Jordan Roughead, 25. Koby Stevens, 27. Will Minson, 28. Josh Prudden,29. Tory Dickson, 30. Joel Hamling, 32. Michael Talia, 33. Sam Darley, 38. Dale Morris, 39. Jason Johannisen, 42. Liam Picken, 43. Jack Redpath, 46. Lin Jong, 49 Ayce Cordy - See more at: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-02-26/experienced-lineup-named#sthash.xR8q31vg.dpuf

kruder
26-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Just with point 3 I agree with Stevens needs to be played in the guts now Boyd is on the way out. He was played out of position a lot in his first 2 years but with spots opening upon the midfield I think his big frame can win the hard ball and help protect the kids in there.

Can anyone remember a smaller injury list in the pre season? We are gonig to need all the help we can get this year but it's one positive to take in. Great to see Prudden in the team a talent for sure...

lemmon
26-02-2015, 01:49 PM
I wonder whether we'll see Prudden through the middle or at half back

Axe Man
26-02-2015, 01:51 PM
That's a big squad, it's easier to look at who's not playing. By my reckoning the players not in the squad are:
All the first year draftees
All the rookie listed players
Crameri
Clay Smith
Roberts
Biggs
Fuller

Boyd, Hamling and Prudden making their senior team debuts for the club.

Cyberdoggie
26-02-2015, 01:57 PM
I'm assuming it will be the usual format:

Game 1: reward those who have had a good pre-season, plus most regulars, 1 or 2 kids that might of excelled.

Game 2: mostly kids and those that didn't get a game in rnd 1. Limited time for seniors if they are there.

Game 3: close to full strength or rnd 1 likely line up.

edit: just noticed the sides.

Richmond looks pretty weak side, and we have gone for none of the kids, Should win this one easily.

Remi Moses
26-02-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm assuming it will be the usual format:

Game 1: reward those who have had a good pre-season, plus most regulars, 1 or 2 kids that might of excelled.

Game 2: mostly kids and those that didn't get a game in rnd 1. Limited time for seniors if they are there.

Game 3: close to full strength or rnd 1 likely line up.

edit: just noticed the sides.

Richmond looks pretty weak side, and we have gone for none of the kids, Should win this one easily.

Think that's how it will go.