PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the flood! - v Essendon Rd 21 2000

bornadog
25-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Link (http://www.sen.com.au/news/here-comes-the-flood) A good read and insight into that great game.

http://www.sen.com.au/media/3286/wb-ess-2000.jpg

Twodogs
25-02-2015, 03:52 PM
I was strangely confident going into that game. I'd convinced myself we were going to win for a whole list of reasons which ended up having about no bearing on the result whatsoever.

bornadog
25-02-2015, 04:40 PM
I really loved that game, it was a great night. Ended up going myself as no one wanted to go. Bought a level two which was available due to single seat request and was surrounded by Bombers every where.

bornadog
25-02-2015, 04:42 PM
First Half Highlights

http://youtu.be/DksjcsNs9QQ

westdog54
25-02-2015, 04:53 PM
I vaguely remember Terry saying in a press conference in the lead up that we were going to have to turn it into a shootout if we were going to get near them.

The level of planning that went into this one game is astounding.

bornadog
25-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Second Half Highlights

http://youtu.be/BLrNLV_sxIc

Twodogs
25-02-2015, 05:22 PM
I really loved that game, it was a great night. Ended up going myself as no one wanted to go. Bought a level two which was available due to single seat request and was surrounded by Bombers every where.

I was on level one behind the goals. I can't remember the amount of spite among the crowd like it was that night. It was on for donkey kong among some.

Funniest sight was an old dear sitting a few rows in front of us turning around and letting fly at a group of blokes who'd been heroically needling her all night. The language, I heard words I hadn't heard since I was a little kid.

Good night

Twodogs
25-02-2015, 05:27 PM
That Carlton game he talks about was an amazing game too.

bornadog
25-02-2015, 05:45 PM
That Carlton game he talks about was an amazing game too.

I think we tried out the big flood in that game as well.

I remember going into work that Monday morning and there were a few Carlton supporters and they started saying we were cheats with the tactics we used. :)

LostDoggy
25-02-2015, 09:30 PM
I think we tried out the big flood in that game as well.

I remember going into work that Monday morning and there were a few Carlton supporters and they started saying we were cheats with the tactics we used. :)
Lucky bugger. I'd absolutely love to be called a cheat by an Essendon or Carlton fan.

F'scary
25-02-2015, 11:07 PM
I remember I was in a pub waiting for a band to come on and the whole pub stopped and was watching the game on the TV when it got really close. AND EVERYONE WHO WASN'T AN ESSERDON SUPPORTER WAS CHEERING WHEN GRANT KICKED THAT GREAT GOAL BECAUSE THEY WERE JUST SO HAPPY AND SO RELIEVED SOMEONE HAD BEATEN THE BUMBERS.

The Doctor
25-02-2015, 11:19 PM
If you needed someone to kick for your life it would have to be Billy or Huddo. Billy always wanted it in his hands, he even tried to sneak the ball prior to Grant's matchwinner. Super player.

Remi Moses
26-02-2015, 03:22 AM
Unfortunately I worked that night, but remember hugging a co worker Bulldog fan.
Had a few mates pop into work, and to say they were pumped would be an understatement .

Remi Moses
26-02-2015, 03:24 AM
I vaguely remember Terry saying in a press conference in the lead up that we were going to have to turn it into a shootout if we were going to get near them.

The level of planning that went into this one game is astounding.

I think we paid a heftyprice as the players were spent the following week against Hawthorn .
We copped a few injuries at that time as well which contributed to the tactics.

westdog54
26-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately I worked that night, but remember hugging a co worker Bulldog fan.
Had a few mates pop into work, and to say they were pumped would be an understatement .

I was sick at home that night (legitimately) and was watching at home with the family. When the final siren went Dad jumped up with a big Chainsaw fist-pump, Mum squealed with excitement and my brother and I went with the big jumping bear-hug. It was a glorious moment. I then had the joy of ringing my boss, whose wife, sister in law and daughters were all rabid Essendon supporters. I worked in a pizza shop and they were all there watching, apparently they were devastated.

bornadog
26-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Watching that game there were some outstanding performances from players that really never ever did much more. Example, Dooley playing CHB was told to just jump and punch the ball and he stuck to it all night. Bartlett did some great things creating and also kicking goals.

Then you had Murphy and Hahn who were only teenagers in their 3rd or 4th games. Libba was outstanding that night with his tackling and harassing and the great Chris Grant well he was just great.

1eyedog
26-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Watching that game there were some outstanding performances from players that really never ever did much more. Example, Dooley playing CHB was told to just jump and punch the ball and he stuck to it all night. Bartlett did some great things creating and also kicking goals.

Then you had Murphy and Hahn who were only teenagers in their 3rd or 4th games. Libba was outstanding that night with his tackling and harassing and the great Chris Grant well he was just great.

Johnno had a big night too and Kolyniuk as the small forward was sensational.

LostDoggy
26-02-2015, 10:46 AM
This is my favorite memory of playing Essendon.

Will never forget Brad Johnson getting up in John Barnes' grill.

It really overshadows the 'Moorcroft' game as amazing as it was to witness that mark live.

bornadog
26-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Johnno had a big night too and Kolyniuk as the small forward was sensational.

yes, many heroes that night.

Ozza
26-02-2015, 11:12 AM
I ended up standing on level 1 that night, and as luck would have it, was perfectly in line with Grant's kick for goal (behind him). It was never going to miss off the boot.

I was standing at the back of a 100% Essendon area....and my carry on after the goal wasn't well received. The train ride back to Essendon station was magnificent.

Torpedo
26-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Does anyone have the Stephen Reilly? article link from the Age a day or two later. One of the
best analysis of the strategies involved in the game I have ever read.

westdog54
26-02-2015, 01:37 PM

From memory Libba ran Scott Lucas down 3 times that night.

bornadog
26-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Does anyone have the Stephen Reilly? article link from the Age a day or two later. One of the
best analysis of the strategies involved in the game I have ever read.

Here is a video of our opposition analyst

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-02-25/meet-the-analyst

Twodogs
26-02-2015, 03:36 PM
This is my favorite memory of playing Essendon.

Will never forget Brad Johnson getting up in John Barnes' grill.

It really overshadows the 'Moorcroft' game as amazing as it was to witness that mark live.

I saw us flog them by 100 points at Windy Hill in 1977 and I can't decide which was better.

josie
26-02-2015, 08:15 PM
One of my favourite games ever.

I sat with a friend, my brother who was visiting from interstate & his wife. Bro, wife, friend (all Bombers supporters) & hubby & me (Dogs supporters).

It felt like a grand final win not round 22.

Did anyone else see Johnno do a sly sideways look when he was lying on the ground after the Barnes bump?

That run down tackle by Libber on ?Alessio?, the rumble after Johnno was downed, the goal by Grant and the one after the siren by Smithy were all just priceless memories.

LostDoggy
26-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Was at our local for dinner that night.Sister in laws birthday.Remember yelling at the top of my voice with a double cobra when granty kicked it from the boundry.The wife and her family weren't to happy as they are all Essendumb supporters.
HEH HEH :D

always right
27-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Fearing a thumping I took the weak way and didn't attend. My son who was about 11 at the time ended up going with his grandfather. He described it as one of the greatest nights in his life.......crying with elation at the end of the game. I recall getting phone calls from work colleagues at home after the match who were so excited and wanted to congratulate me on the win.....like I had anything to do with it.

It was a special night full of unforgettable images. The Grant goal and the work he did at both ends of the ground all night.....Libba running down Lucas who was like a deer in the headlights....the halftime fracas and Big Scotty Wynd defending his teammates as per usual....great memories.

1eyedog
27-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Every Bulldog supporter remembers where they were that night.

Remi Moses
27-02-2015, 02:18 PM
I saw us flog them by 100 points at Windy Hill in 1977 and I can't decide which was better.

My auntie sent me a cassette
Recording of Ian Major and Jack Dyer's call of the game on 3KZ.
Was living in Perth at the time.
Dogs weren't high rotation on " The Winners".kept that tape for years

LostDoggy
27-02-2015, 02:29 PM
I was in year 9 at Catholic College Bendigo and we were performing a rendition of Peter Pan that night at the Bendigo theatre (I was magnificent as the Crocodile). Backstage there were whispers of something going down when we won I'm sure the whole crowd heard me belting out Sons of the West

My late grandparents had come up from Melbourne to watch my performance and I heard afterwards that my Grandad had earphones in and was listening to the game the whole production! My mum said he would keep letting out a little 'yes' or curse under his breath:)

Very nostalgic match for me even though I have never actually seen it!

bornadog
27-02-2015, 02:32 PM
I was in year 9 at Catholic College Bendigo and we were performing a rendition of Peter Pan that night at the Bendigo theatre (I was magnificent as the Crocodile). Backstage there were whispers of something going down when we won I'm sure the whole crowd heard me belting out Sons of the West

My late grandparents had come up from Melbourne to watch my performance and I heard afterwards that my Grandad had earphones in and was listening to the game the whole production! My mum said he would keep letting out a little 'yes' or curse under his breath:)

Very nostalgic match for me even though I have never actually seen it!

Not even a DVD of the game?

LostDoggy
27-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Never seen it. Anyone know where I can get a copy? Would that name a game thing the Eddie owns do it?

bornadog
27-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Never seen it. Anyone know where I can get a copy? Would that name a game thing the Eddie owns do it?
https://www.sportsdelivered.com/dvd/2000-round-21-w-bulldogs-def-essendon/167.html

LostDoggy
27-02-2015, 04:56 PM
https://www.sportsdelivered.com/dvd/2000-round-21-w-bulldogs-def-essendon/167.html

If anyone has a copy of this and would like to "share" with fellow Woof folk, please do. :D

Greystache
27-02-2015, 05:00 PM
You can't help but laugh. The play that lead to Grant's match winner, Nathan Eagleton had a set shot from 40 metres out and didn't make the distance, and even if he had it would've been out on the full. He was certainly never a man for the big moment Nathan, he missed his calling as a South African cricketer!

westdog54
27-02-2015, 05:54 PM
You can't help but laugh. The play that lead to Grant's match winner, Nathan Eagleton had a set shot from 40 metres out and didn't make the distance, and even if he had it would've been out on the full. He was certainly never a man for the big moment Nathan, he missed his calling as a South African cricketer!

it was a comedy of errors all round. The shot on goal was terrible, then as the ball comes to ground it bobbles of Fletcher's foot out on the full. Then up steps the big man...

Twodogs
27-02-2015, 06:33 PM
it was a comedy of errors all round. The shit on goal was terrible, then as the ball comes to ground it bobbles of Fletcher's foot out on the full. Then up steps the big man...

It was a pretty foul effort.

always right
27-02-2015, 07:21 PM
The game was also notable for the TV commentary. Dunstall and Brereton together and it makes me laugh how high pitched Dunstall's voice was....he's certainly improved over the years.

westdog54
27-02-2015, 07:22 PM
It was a pretty foul effort.

Stupid Samsung keyboard.

Edited.

westdog54
27-02-2015, 07:23 PM
The game was also notable for the TV commentary. Dunstall and Brereton together and it makes me laugh how high pitched Dunstall's voice was....he's certainly improved over the years.

It was also noteworthy for the fact that the Chief in particular spent half the last quarter practically barracking for us.