PDA

View Full Version : Umpiring Talk

bulldogtragic
01-03-2015, 11:33 AM
The 4 field umpire system seemed to me not to work. Adding in extra umpires means more chance of confusion and lesser chance of consistenncy with 4 sets of eyes and interpretation. The pay off is meant to be more accurate decisions by more angles of play. Watching yesterday, I'm not sold its better and not something worth persisting with.

bornadog
01-03-2015, 11:57 AM
I can't see anything wrong with just two field umpires and each one staying in their own half. As you say more interpretations of the same rule is killing the game.

G-Mo77
01-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Rubbish umpiring again. Reward ducking/diving give nothing to good tackling.

SlimPickens
02-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Cant say I really noticed the umpiring to be honest. That can only be a good thing in my eyes

Twodogs
02-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Cant say I really noticed the umpiring to be honest. That can only be a good thing in my eyes

A couple of umpires noticed me. :)

LostDoggy
02-03-2015, 06:38 PM
The shepherding call and 50m that led to the super goal was puss. Where the bloke literally was standind up and ducked into boyd got a free kick and goal in the third. The too high decision in the last where he didn't even touch him 20m out directly in front for another goal. The only dubious one in our favour was the Stringer mark. Watched the live stream on AFL.com and you should have heard Dunstall, Russell, and Dermie squeal about that decision for the rest of the game but not even rate a mention to the BS decisions we copped.

ratsmac
02-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Yeah I thought the umpires were average. They helped bring Richmond back into the game in the 3rd with some bad decisions.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 12:13 PM
I've been watching a doco about lying and unethical behaviour in general. There's an extended interview with a 13 year NBA referee veteran who admitted that when he started refing he officiated by the rule book he wasn't getting ahead or promoted. He was told by other senior referees the only way to get ahead was not calling fouls on big name players because they're responsible for selling merchandise and people spending big bucks on court side seats want to see the best players on the court. He also said big teams got better treatment and he could even pick winning teams based on who the selected referees were. So he played along giving fan favourite players and bigger teams an easy ride, and got himself ahead in the industry. I wonder if this has ever happened in the AFEL.

G-Mo77
25-06-2016, 02:03 PM
I've been watching a doco about lying and unethical behaviour in general. There's an extended interview with a 13 year NBA referee veteran who admitted that when he started refing he officiated by the rule book he wasn't getting ahead or promoted. He was told by other senior referees the only way to get ahead was not calling fouls on big name players because they're responsible for selling merchandise and people spending big bucks on court side seats want to see the best players on the court. He also said big teams got better treatment and he could even pick winning teams based on who the selected referees were. So he played along giving fan favourite players and bigger teams an easy ride, and got himself ahead in the industry. I wonder if this has ever happened in the AFEL.

Jordan got every call at the offensive end back in the 80's early 90's

Look at the 3 titles LA got in the early 00's some of the calls in their series' were down right disgracful. I've never seen a guy called for a foul when he got elbowed in the head. Mutumbo's face was tenderized by the end of the finals. There was a major fallout years after the Western Conference finals between the Kings and Lakers.

Twodogs
25-06-2016, 02:49 PM

What's the doco called? Sounds interesting.

I've noticed that the referees appointed to officiate in the biggest games usually involving Brazil or Barcelona will often do what it takes to get Brazil into the next stage of a World Cup or Barcelona into a Euroean Cup final.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 02:51 PM

I've noticed that the referees appointed to officiate in the biggest games usually involving Brazil or Barcelona will often do what it takes to get Brazil into the next stage of a World Cup or Barcelona into a Euroean Cup final.

(Dis) Honesty: The truth about lies.

EasternWest
25-06-2016, 09:20 PM
I found the NBA ref's all incredibly frustrating this year. They are absolute drama queens. It's like having three Ray Chamberlains out there.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 09:24 PM
I found the NBA ref's all incredibly frustrating this year. They are absolute drama queens. It's like having three Ray Chamberlains out there.

Could be worse. There could be three Shane McInerney's!

Great. Now I'm having nightmares tonight.

comrade
25-06-2016, 09:47 PM
The high tackle free is now a crapshoot based on the media exposure it's received. Sometimes it's paid, sometimes not. Except if your name is Joel Selwood. Then it gets paid every time.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 09:53 PM
The high tackle free is now a crapshoot based on the media exposure it's received. Sometimes it's paid, sometimes not. Except if your name is Joel Selwood. Then it gets paid every time.

It's this aspect of the interview with the ex-NBA referee I found interesting. It doesn't have to be a directive from the competition CEO to look after certain players or teams, but if that's the reality within the culture of the officiators as per the interview I watched you can see how and why some players and teams seem to have the so called 'rub of the green'.

EasternWest
25-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Could be worse. There could be three Shane McInerney's!

Great. Now I'm having nightmares tonight.

I'd rather six McInerney's. Chamberlain is my kryptonite.

comrade
25-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Good example tonight of the 'good' team getting marginal calls and non calls.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 10:12 PM
I'd rather six McInerney's. Chamberlain is my kryptonite.

Just as long as the dogs aren't playing.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 10:22 PM
I just read my op, which was the 4 umpire trial 12 months ago. I'm still not seeing any benefit to the trial for bad missed free kicks being picked up or more of the contests being policed for frees. If anything it accentuates the differences in umpire interpretations. I think we, or at least I, can conclude its of no benefit to the game. If we need to increase umpire numbers I'd rather see 4 goal umpires and do away with this stupid review system.

bornadog
25-06-2016, 10:27 PM
I just read my op, which was the 4 umpire trial 12 months ago. I'm still not seeing any benefit to the trial for bad missed free kicks being picked up or more of the contests being policed for frees. If anything it accentuates the differences in umpire interpretations. I think we, or at least I, can conclude its of no benefit to the game. If we need to increase umpire numbers I'd rather see 4 goal umpires and do away with this stupid review system.

Bring back two field, two boundary and two goal. Do away with review system. If the umpire miss a few free kicks, so what. :)

ledge
26-06-2016, 10:50 AM
How long before a player sues an umpire for a wrong decision?
The way the rules are so grey even a judge couldn't get a result.
If a rule can be interpreted different then the rule doesn't work . Most over ruled game in the world.
One player gets an injury in 100 years from something and they change the rules so it won't happen again.
Knee jerkers should be explained in the dictionary as AFL rule makers.

ratsmac
26-06-2016, 11:58 AM
It's this aspect of the interview with the ex-NBA referee I found interesting. It doesn't have to be a directive from the competition CEO to look after certain players or teams, but if that's the reality within the culture of the officiators as per the interview I watched you can see how and why some players and teams seem to have the so called 'rub of the green'.

That makes sense when it comes to the Bulldogs as an example this year. For once in our existence we were getting the 'rub of the green' with the umps earlier in the season. As soon as Adelaide jumped up and down about the frees we received, all of a sudden there were stats about our free kick differential on every football show and radio station. Since then some free kicks that would of been paid before were play on. Strange. Did we change the way we play so we don't get more free kicks? I doubt it. We are often first to the ball and playing in front which will win you a free kick or 2, well it used to. Since the Adelaide game the free kick count has been quite even (except for the Port game) as if there is a change in mindset with the umps to keep the free kicks even so the mob doesn't come at them. The general consensus in the footy community is that if the free kick count is even, the umpiring was fair, which I think would be BS more than not.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2016, 12:02 AM

Here's is a little slice of it TD:

https://youtu.be/oOjPbBlH6vQ

bulldogtragic
16-07-2016, 12:08 AM
Unrelated post. Shane Macinerney.