PDA

View Full Version : Libba Out - Who do we elevate?

bulldogtragic
01-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Smith - Raw
Goodes - Experienced campaigner, but not really an AFL player
Pearce - Has he improved again?
Kelly - Not sure we need another skinny defender

chef
01-03-2015, 01:31 PM
No one yet, give it only when someone deserves it.

Rocco Jones
01-03-2015, 01:31 PM
We wait until they force their way into the best 25. I don't really have anyone of there near it at the moment.

always right
01-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Smith - Raw
Kelly is not a skinny defender. We shouldn't elevate anyone unless their performance justifies it. I'm hoping Smith earns an elevation But you would think Goodes is the front runner simply because he is experienced and can play midfield if needed.

Greystache
01-03-2015, 01:36 PM
it makes our strange rookie selections even more of a problem. There's only one developing player out of the 4 and the other 3 have been tried and look well short of the level.

bulldogtragic
01-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Kelly is not a skinny defender. We shouldn't elevate anyone unless their performance justifies it. I'm hoping Smith earns an elevation But you would think Goodes is the front runner simply because he is experienced and can play midfield if needed.

Sure. Maybe an 85kg Non-KPP defender who hasn't stood out in preseason.

1eyedog
01-03-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm too depressed to even contemplate it.

bornadog
01-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Smith - Raw

If I had a choice and had to pick one, I would give Pearce a go. At least he has played a few games and showed a little during that time.

boydogs
01-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Goodes, the only rookie list player there purely for backup

Goes nowhere close to replacing Libba of course

F'scary
01-03-2015, 03:23 PM
On the WB website, Roarke Smith is listed as 181cm and 74kg which would be way too slight to be an elevation candidate. But when I watched them train he looked a lot bigger than that. I would have had him more like 183cm and 80kg. I was impressed with him although he was focusing purely on defensive tactics.

So probably Goodes would be the most likely for an inside midfielder role. Bevo should play him in the Ballarat match as a starting inside mid to see where he is at. His VFL form last year as the key inside mid was excellent - looked much better than when he was coming off HBF.

Mofra
02-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Nobody - unless they're coming into the 22 make them wait.
We had an extended bench yesterday - take out injuries we still have to cut a couple before round 1, and Darley & Biggs will still push their claims for selection

Sedat
02-03-2015, 11:04 AM
It's a futile notion to replace an inside mid of Libba's elite level with another inside mid off our rookie list - we should rely on the existing mids in our senior list to each pick up a little of the slack. I would just go with the best performed on the training track and at Footscray who will actually make claims for a spot in our best 22 - until then, nobody should be promoted.

SlimPickens
02-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Its not an elevation as such but this may create an opportunity for someone like Josh Prudden, if he can get a run at it. When he plays he is very good around the clearances, not Libba good (No one is). But good nevertheless.

bornadog
02-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Its not an elevation as such but this may create an opportunity for someone like Josh Prudden, if he can get a run at it. When he plays he is very good around the clearances, not Libba good (No one is). But good nevertheless.

What is his pace like? I noticed a couple of Richmond players were a bit quicker than him.

SlimPickens
02-03-2015, 12:22 PM
What is his pace like? I noticed a couple of Richmond players were a bit quicker than him.

He'd be about as quick as Libba.

craigsahibee
02-03-2015, 12:23 PM
On the WB website, Roarke Smith is listed as 181cm and 74kg which would be way too slight to be an elevation candidate. But when I watched them train he looked a lot bigger than that. I would have had him more like 183cm and 80kg. I was impressed with him although he was focusing purely on defensive tactics.

So probably Goodes would be the most likely for an inside midfielder role. Bevo should play him in the Ballarat match as a starting inside mid to see where he is at. His VFL form last year as the key inside mid was excellent - looked much better than when he was coming off HBF.

Whoever puts the height/weight info on the website can do mine please!

Jack Redpath at 99kg?

I've been in a pretty good paddock this off-season and need all the help I can get ;)

Greystache
02-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Whoever puts the height/weight info on the website can do mine please!

Jack Redpath at 99kg?

I've been in a pretty good paddock this off-season and need all the help I can get ;)

Brereton said on the coverage- If he's 99kg I'd like to see what he weighs when he puts the other foot on the scale :D

Twodogs
02-03-2015, 08:18 PM

This is sort of thing we should be looking at. Internally rather than from the rookie list which is razor thin for elite AFL clearance machines anyway.

Prudden may be able to fill some of the void. he's just finished his third AfL preseason so he should at least be fit and strong enough. Stevens couod step up and do some work at centre clearances. It will remove strength from other parts of the ground

lemmon
02-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Was my first look at the unicorn-esque Prudden, only real thing I noticed was the size of the lad. He must be close to Jobe Watson dimensions

Sedat
02-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Koby has some terrific attributes, but clean hands isn't one of them. Not sure he is going to be the answer at stoppages.

jeemak
02-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Was my first look at the unicorn-esque Prudden, only real thing I noticed was the size of the lad. He must be close to Jobe Watson dimensions

Club lists him as 80kg and 182cm...........seems legit :)

Twodogs
02-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Koby has some terrific attributes, but clean hands isn't one of them. Not sure he is going to be the answer at stoppages.

Good point. I'd much rather the ball be in his hands deep in the forward line with his back to goal than tearing through the contests looking to give iit off..

It's a shame we dropped Greenwwod off the list. A position just opened up for him.

bornadog
03-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Good point. I'd much rather the ball be in his hands deep in the forward line with his back to goal than tearing through the contests looking to give iit off..

It's a shame we dropped Greenwwod off the list. A position just opened up for him.

Would have him instead of Goodes on the rookie list.

Remi Moses
03-03-2015, 01:25 AM
Would have him instead of Goodes on the rookie list.

I agree entirely .
Just can't see Goodes pushing into the midfield .

Jeanette54
03-03-2015, 09:44 AM
The only bright light I can see is the return of Clay Smith, once he recovers from his knee reconstruction.

Twodogs
03-03-2015, 12:20 PM
The only bright light I can see is the return of Clay Smith, once he recovers from his knee reconstruction.

That is the light. Hopefully he burns very soon..

Avoid the rush
04-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Please my friends, do not underestimate Caleb Daniels. All seems to be falling into place for him to play fair bit of footy this year.

BulldogBelle
04-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Please my friends, do not underestimate Caleb Daniels. All seems to be falling into place for him to play fair bit of footy this year.

You maybe onto something here.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-03-2015, 04:57 PM

Sounds as though his return may be sooner than expected. He could return soon after round 1. Expected to play some NAB games

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/clay-smith-set-to-return-from-knee-reconstruction-for-western-bulldogs/story-fni5fazt-1227247911170

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 05:07 PM

He's a player we are going to enjoy watching too. Great vision and disposal.

AndrewP6
01-07-2015, 10:22 PM
BUMP.

Didn't really know where to post this, but on the Footy Show tonight, Damian Barrett has reported that Libba has been in strife again, for his off-field behaviour. Mentioned a three week period recently where he made several indisgressions, including missing meetings. Has been called before the leadership group. Also mentioned (to great audience laughter) that the club have made him change travel plans he had for an overseas trip with non-footy mates, and he will now be going to Thailand (?!?!?). Seems like he's not managing the year away from footy very well.