PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs forward Jack Redpath sees opening alongside Tom Boyd

bornadog
02-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/western-bulldogs-forward-jack-redpath-sees-opening-alongside-tom-boyd-20150301-13rvqt.html)

http://www.theage.com.au/content/dam/images/1/3/s/2/s/8/image.related.articleLeadNarrow.300x0.13rvqt.png/1425198576125.jpg

With all the fanfare surrounding Tom Boyd, it is easy to forget that teams generally line up with more than one key forward. While the teenage millionaire may well be the Western Bulldogs' saviour, he won't do it alone.

In 2014, the Western Bulldogs tried six genuine forward options 193 centimetres or taller. Liam Jones was the most frequently used, making 10 appearances. He's now at Carlton. Tom Williams played six games, but retired mid-season. The other four — Tom Campbell (seven games last year), Jack Redpath (three) , Ayce Cordy (one) and Jarrad Grant (four) — are all into at least their fourth season at Whitten Oval. Assuming that Boyd will be given every opportunity when fit, it can reasonably be said that this quartet is fighting for the chance to play second fiddle to the former Giant.

Based on Saturday's NAB Challenge game against Richmond, Redpath should be the early favourite.

His seven marks and two goals meant he not only outshone Boyd (three marks, one goal), he was also the most potent tall forward on the ground.

Having spent three years on the Dogs' rookie list before being promoted at the end of last season, Redpath, 23, was understandably chuffed after the game.

"It means everything. You sort of tough it out for three years, which is still the best time of my life but now just to have that opportunity to be around for NAB one, it's pretty exciting," he said in the rooms after his side's 22-point win.

"For some blokes it's not as big a deal, but for me it was, and to get my hands on a few it's been really good."

While both had stints up the ground, it was Redpath who generally stood deeper, and leading well, caused issues for Damien Hardwick's callow defence.

Redpath, 194cm and 99kg, looks to have the potential to form a dangerous tandem act with Boyd.

"We've done a fair bit of work me and Boydy. Obviously we've had the pre-season together. There's still a lot of work to be done I think of me and him really benefiting from each other, but I think today was a really good stepping stone for him and myself as well.

"Boydy was really good out there, he was strong in the contest, and he's just like myself, we've just got to provide that strong contest for our little guys, don't get outmarked, lay a tackle, just bring that intensity."

Redpath attributed much of his improvement to time spent at VFL level in 2014, and in particular the tutelage of the club's newly appointed VFL coach Ash Hansen, and the man he replaced, now head of development Chris Maple.

While he knows the job of booking a spot in the Dogs' team for the round-one clash against West Coast is not yet complete, Redpath can see the opening .

"Every week there's going to be spots up for grabs."

Redpath also said that midfielder Tom Liberatore had been in good spirits after the game, despite suffering a serious knee injury. Unfortunately for the Dogs, their worst fears materialised on Sunday.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Lost me at Grant is a KPP fighting for a spot with Ayce.

SlimPickens
02-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Really liked Jacks game on the weekend. If he can bring that week in week out, he'll play a fair bit of senior footy this year.

To get the best out of Jack we really need him to play angry. The way he hit Vlaustin and tackled Morris showed that intent. It'll be nice to have an enforcer in our forward fifty.

craigsahibee
02-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Really liked Jacks game on the weekend. If he can bring that week in week out, he'll play a fair bit of senior footy this year.

To get the best out of Jack we really need him to play angry. The way he hit Vlaustin and tackled Morris showed that intent. It'll be nice to have an enforcer in our forward fifty.

I love the way he plays. When we were aligned with Williamstown a few seasons back, I saw the opening game against Casey at Casey and Jack poleaxed one of their players in a legitimate hit that ended his night. Mid year against Port at Port he did the same and I spoke with Steven King that day about him and while King said he still had a lot to learn, King did say that he loves hurting opposition, or something along those lines. If we had to pick a Round 1 team today based on the efforts of the weekend, Jack is a certainty.

F'scary
02-03-2015, 02:09 PM
They don't call him The Widow-Maker for nothing.

boydogs
02-03-2015, 03:44 PM
He was good on Saturday, 6 marks is a good step in the right direction

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2015, 05:29 PM
I would love to see him make it. Seems like a really likeable young guy, he's got a great attitude and has worked really hard to improve in leaps and bounds. He's quick in a straight line for a guy his size, but he will need to improve his agility. Still - Saturday was a fantastic step forward for big Jack.

Bulldog4life
02-03-2015, 05:31 PM
I like Jack as a player. He missed a lot of footy as a junior.The positive is that you can see him improving year after year. That augurs well for his and the Club's future.

Greystache
02-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Let's hope Saturday was a taste of what's to come. He was terrific and would add a lot to our structure if he can continue to produce that sort of performance.

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2015, 06:44 PM
I really like what I saw of Jack against Richmond.

Brings aggression and would have a few defenders concerned about propping in the hole that Jack is leading to.

hotdog
02-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Will Minson on debut at Princess Park bashing opponents and generally just hurting people. I loved it then and I love it now! Most good teams have a similar player that relishes hurting people. It certainly does no harm and makes the team walk a bit taller.

ratsmac
02-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Jarrad Grant had a reasonable season when he had Barry Hall to hide behind. Let's hope that Jack can continue to get better and become a lock in the forward line because it will benefit others as well.
That hit on Vlastin was great and is exactly what we need.

LostDoggy
03-03-2015, 12:37 AM
It will be a bonus if Jack can hold down a KP forward role in the team.

craigsahibee
04-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Jarrad Grant had a reasonable season when he had Barry Hall to hide behind. Let's hope that Jack can continue to get better and become a lock in the forward line because it will benefit others as well.
That hit on Vlastin was great and is exactly what we need.

Credit to Vlaustin for getting up and playing on also. He won me over on Saturday. Quality kid.

F'scary
04-03-2015, 02:25 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/content/dam/images/1/3/s/2/s/8/image.related.articleLeadNarrow.300x0.13rvqt.png/1425198576125.jpg

Classic Shaolin Bow & Arrow stance. Beware the Widow-Maker!

Twodogs
04-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Credit to Vlaustin for getting up and playing on also. He won me over on Saturday. Quality kid.

Yep. Props to him, that took some serious courage Jack hit him hard.

Mofra
04-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Redpath is no star, but on the weekend he presented and did everything that could have been asked.
I am very glad we missed out on Dawes because Redpath fills a similar role and his improvement has been excellent. The perfect foil for the stars who will spend time in the F50.

Happy Days
04-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Yep. Props to him, that took some serious courage Jack hit him hard.

Whatsdoin is a stud and would be perfect for us. See a lot of Luke Hodge in him.

whythelongface
04-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Redpath is no star, but on the weekend he presented and did everything that could have been asked.
I am very glad we missed out on Dawes because Redpath fills a similar role and his improvement has been excellent. The perfect foil for the stars who will spend time in the F50.

I was thinking the other day who does he remind me of. You just nailed it for me. Dawes is the man. Obviously Redpath is nowhere near where Dawes was at but certainly has similar traits in being big and strong with a nice kick. Hopefully he can prove the perfect foil for Boyd. Looks like he can also take a strong mark. He just needs to get better at reading the game.

I also really love the mongrel he brings to the team.

LostDoggy
04-03-2015, 05:03 PM
I was thinking the other day who does he remind me of. You just nailed it for me. Dawes is the man. Obviously Redpath is nowhere near where Dawes was at but certainly has similar traits in being big and strong with a nice kick. Hopefully he can prove the perfect foil for Boyd. Looks like he can also take a strong mark. He just needs to get better at reading the game.

I also really love the mongrel he brings to the team.

More like a Leigh Brown mongrel type for me.
On the edge of angry and agitated.
If Redders brings that type of intensity,nous and pressure most if not every week,will be one of Bevo's faves.

LostDoggy
04-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Lost me at Grant is a KPP fighting for a spot with Ayce.

Agree. Ayce has shown a lot.

westdog54
06-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Big Jack was interviewed on MMM yesterday and told them that he was around the 99kg mark. Said he's made some massive changes to his diet as part of his fitness work. Paid tribute to Justin Cordy's work.

bornadog
12-07-2015, 02:36 PM
I really believe having Redpath and Tom Boyd in the one team will work for us. Redpath playing up the ground abit and Boyd back in the square. He is a good contested mark, a good kick and plays it hard. If the Swans can have a Franklin and Tippet in the same team, there is no reason we can't have these two together.

Bulldog4life
12-07-2015, 04:12 PM
I really believe having Redpath and Tom Boyd in the one team will work for us. Redpath playing up the ground abit and Boyd back in the square. He is a good contested mark, a good kick and plays it hard. If the Swans can have a Franklin and Tippet in the same team, there is no reason we can't have these two together.

I agree BAD Dermie was just saying the other day to have two big forwards in the finals is a big plus

bulldogtragic
12-07-2015, 05:18 PM

We need Crameri and Rought back to see maximum dividends. Boyd gets the best, Crameri Second and Stringer Third. He gets the 4th or 5th if Roughy rests forward. When we get the forward set up right, he needs to destroy much lesser opponents. I hope he does, and I hope it's this week.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2015, 05:27 PM

I agree BAD Dermie was just saying the other day to have two big forwards in the finals is a big plus

It's about quality, not how many/how few. I think you have to have at least one quality tall, no doubt but fans are too black and white with 'top heavy'.

If a tall is mobile, you can play six of them. However, if you have two immobile tall forwards that are not consistently dangerous, you will get absolutely murdered on the rebound by the better sides.

The Hawks have a pretty sound forward structure (refuse to really give credit to Swans one, buying two KPFs). Roughy is all in one KPF. Can play deep, kick the goals etc and then go up the ground and get touches. Then they have Bruest and Gunston who offer flexibility. I like their ruck set up with the 2nd ruck something forward then often subbed out for run.

Stringer is a huge piece in the jigsaw. His all-round ability can add so much versatility to the forward line.

1eyedog
13-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Anyone supporting or coaching any team would have been happy with Redpath's game on Saturday, none more than himself. The big question of course is can he bring it consistently enough to justify his position in the team.

Greystache
13-07-2015, 12:55 PM
He displayed the sort of form he showed in the preseason that had me so optimistic about our forward setup with him in the team. If he can produce it regularly we're a much better team immediately

Bulldog4life
13-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Anyone supporting or coaching any team would have been happy with Redpath's game on Saturday, none more than himself. The big question of course is can he bring it consistently enough to justify his position in the team.

The good thing is he has only played 6 games and he has improved noticeably from game 1.

LostDoggy
13-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Loved what Big Red brought to the table Sat in Cairns.
Clunk a few marks and he could have doubled his scoreboard impact.
He needs to realise though that he has to bring it every week if he is to stay in the side as the great thing about us now is tht there are fights for spots every week.

Rocco Jones
13-07-2015, 09:09 PM
What I love about Redders is that he keeps on improving. He has been in the system for awhile now, coming off a knee or two in his younger days. He was one I really thought had no hope a few years ago and the fact he is even a chance, is a massive credit to him.

He just needs to keep on evolving. IMO he needs to either really become more reliable marking overhead or continue to build his tank to be able to lead and double back.

Ozza
14-07-2015, 09:53 AM
I think if Redpath can continue to gather confidence, he will be a really valuable player.
His first half against Carlton was awful...but he picked himself up and ended up finishing the game with 7 marks and took 2 or 3 good ones up at half forward.
Against Gold Coast it was a more even 4 quarters where he got involved in plenty of contests. If not for a couple of dropped marks/mistakes he may have ended up with 4 or 5.
Happy to persist with him and Boyd as a combination for a while, and we will need Redpath to be getting up the ground and creating space for Boyd and Stringer this week by drawing Cats defenders away.

Mofra
14-07-2015, 11:04 AM
I'm worried that both Boyd & Redpath are both FF types but Redpath has definitely earned his spot on the list and if he learns to split the defenders from Boyd with run into space then our F50 could function quite well. he allows Stringer to play shorter which suits him more as well.