PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Stringer plays the weighting game

Bulldog4life
06-03-2015, 09:18 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-06/stringers-weighting-game

WESTERN Bulldogs youngster Jake Stringer has dropped 5kg as he prepares for more time in the midfield this season.

Stringer, who kicked 26 goals from 18 matches in 2014, has been a standout during the Bulldogs' pre-season match simulation drills, with his forward line play earning rave reviews from teammates.

However with recruit Tom Boyd stationed inside 50, coach Luke Beveridge has proposed a hybrid forward/midfield role for Stringer in 2015.

Stringer, 20, has dropped to 88kg in preparation for the season after floating between 92 and 93kgs last season.

"Bevo (Beveridge) is really big on being able to play multiple roles which is good for everyone, so you're not just stuck playing in the forward line," Stringer told AFL.com.au on the Bulldogs' Australia Post Community Camp in Ballarat.

"There'll be a lot of boys playing in different positions this year."

Having Boyd, who was traded from Greater Western Sydney for 2014 Dogs skipper Ryan Griffen, as the focal point up forward creates opportunities for other players to bob up.

No longer does Stringer, who stands at 192cm, have to play as the power forward, which in turn suits the Bulldogs' strategy of faster ball movement under Beveridge.

Boyd and Jack Redpath are set to act as the key targets, which will allow Stringer and Stewart Crameri to roam up and down the ground and use their fitness to advantage.

Rounding out the Bulldogs' attack will be the damaging small forwards Luke Dahlhaus, Lachie Hunter, Nathan Hrovat and Mitch Honeychurch.

"Last year me and Stewy (Crameri) shared the number one defender," Stringer said.

"Having Tom (Boyd) and Jack (Redpath), one of us (Stringer or Crameri) is at least going to get out and have the third or fourth defender, so it's going to be a pretty dangerous forward line."

As static as their forward line style was last year, the Bulldogs were also found wanting in defence.

The Dogs ranked 16th in points from turnovers (92.1 points), 15th from points from clearances (96.5) and 15th from points from kick-ins (44.5).

Beveridge has introduced games of soccer at the start of training to improve the team's defensive-based running.

The benefits are twofold.

First, soccer provides the players with an enjoyable activity to get the legs moving before focusing on football-specific drills later in training.

Second, the soccer sessions are a teaching tool for players on how they should transition from attack to defence, a crucial part of the club's game-plan this year.

"It teaches us two-way running and to react to turnovers quicker," Stringer said.

"It's something in the past that we haven't been that flash at.

"Bevo has been big on it and it's helped us out heaps."

Stringer believes Beveridge's coaching style will allow the players more freedom when moving the ball up the ground.

"It'll be a lot more exciting for everyone to watch, rather than going backwards and sideways all the time," Stringer said.

"It means we'll be a little bit more deadly when we go forward towards goal."

Bumper Bulldogs
06-03-2015, 09:46 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-06/stringers-weighting-game

"It'll be a lot more exciting for everyone to watch, rather than going backwards and sideways all the time," Stringer said.

"It means we'll be a little bit more deadly when we go forward towards goal."

One could only hope!

always right
06-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Always has something interesting to say does our Jake. I also find myself automatically reading this in Jake's voice...if that makes sense.

I can clearly hear him in the sentence "Last year me and Stewy (Crameri) shared the number one defender," Stringer said.

He has such a country boy way of speaking.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Makes Jones sooking and running away look even sillier when he would've got a lesser defender. Anyhoo, Jarrad Grant wasn't mentioned about all the forwards rounding out the forward line.

dog town
06-03-2015, 11:08 AM
It is so hard to find forwards especially of the quality that Jake could become. I just don't get the obsession with turning him into a midfielder. Reminds me of the madness at Freo with Matty Pavlich. I understand the need for versatility but surely he is primarily a forward? They are too hard to find to waste them in the midfield.

Ozza
06-03-2015, 12:40 PM
It is so hard to find forwards especially of the quality that Jake could become. I just don't get the obsession with turning him into a midfielder. Reminds me of the madness at Freo with Matty Pavlich. I understand the need for versatility but surely he is primarily a forward? They are too hard to find to waste them in the midfield.

Tend to agree dogtown. I don't mind the idea of him pinch hitting in the middle - but opposition defenders will be very nervous with Jake close to goal.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2015, 12:50 PM

Ordinarily I might agree. But with Libba going down we are very limited on bigger bodies who are very talented. Even if it's a split of times I think that will be the case for this year. It's not like it's a permanent move. That's not to say in subsequent years he won't go back as a forward primarily. I'm pretty sure Pavlich and Riciuto won All Australian spots in various positions which goes to show talent in any area of the ground can be best in the competition. I think back to Chris Grant who was our best forward since Beasley, but should've won a brownlow from CHB. I can see similarities in the circumstances (not how they play), so if he plays middle and it doesn't really hurt the opposition I have no doubt he will go back to being a permanent forward. But if he dominates and hurts the opposition more from the middle than forward... Then giddy up as he shreds them all over the ground.

always right
06-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Agree with you BT....mixing up his role will make him a better player. There are always going to be times where a forward finds it difficult to get involved in the game no matter how hard he might be trying. Our NAB match against Richmond seemed to be one of those.

Pushing him through the midfield gets him into the game and we could use his sort of creativity and flair on the ball as well as up forward. Sure if he's dominating up forward does mess with it, but otherwise we should use him (intelligently) in both roles. It also makes it difficult for the defender who might set himself to take a particular approach to playing on Stringer. Having him changing between forward and midfield makes it much more of a challenge to get into a particular defensive routine. Making life more difficult/less predictable for the opposition by having players with greater flexibility appears to be an objective of Beveridge.

Remi Moses
06-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Everyone bar the bootstudder goes through the Middle these days.

1eyedog
06-03-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm not opposed to Stringer playing some time in the midfield but you don't keep a gun forward out of the forward line for long. Stringer will kick 6-8 goals a game soon and we have no-one else on the list who can do that. His strength atm is as a forward and I expect him to play 80% game time there.

Maddog37
06-03-2015, 02:48 PM
We need to get to the point where Jake is getting the third or fourth string defender and the isolate him in the goal square.

1eyedog
06-03-2015, 03:10 PM
We need to get to the point where Jake is getting the third or fourth string defender and the isolate him in the goal square.

Just can't see this happening. He's viewed by all opposition clubs as our most dangerous forward and he will get the best defender each week. This may have flow on benefits for Crameri, Boyd and possibly Grant. There is no way that opposition coaches will allow a 3rd / 4th defender on Stringer, he'll maul them.

Maddog37
06-03-2015, 04:27 PM
One of Stringer, Boyd, Crams or Red should get the isolation then.

1eyedog
06-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Our other guns aside, how good is it to have such an exciting player like Stringer in our side!

Mofra
06-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Just can't see this happening. He's viewed by all opposition clubs as our most dangerous forward and he will get the best defender each week. This may have flow on benefits for Crameri, Boyd and possibly Grant. There is no way that opposition coaches will allow a 3rd / 4th defender on Stringer, he'll maul them.
I'm not sure it's so simple - the "no 1" forward is normally a tall; Stringer will be too quick for 99% of tall defenders out there and too agile for those that can match him in straight line pace.
He's going to be too strong for anyone who can match him in pace & agility.

Morris is our "3rd or 4th" defender but if I were playing an opposition team that had Stringer in the side Moz is the first player I'd go to, perhaps swapping with Wood near the end of quarters to try and generate rebound run off him knowing that Stringer's tank is still a work in progress.
Plan B would be hard - probably Wood who is giving up significant size & strength, Talia as third option although Stinger would eat him alive one on one.

westdog54
06-03-2015, 06:22 PM
There seems to be a big focus on trimming down the big guys this year. Boyd, Redpath and now Stringer have dropped considerable amounts of weight.

azabob
06-03-2015, 11:17 PM
There seems to be a big focus on trimming down the big guys this year. Boyd, Redpath and now Stringer have dropped considerable amounts of weight.

If you recall Roughead from the Hawks slimmed down a year or so back so he was able to play multiple positions.

1eyedog
06-03-2015, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure it's so simple - the "no 1" forward is normally a tall; Stringer will be too quick for 99% of tall defenders out there and too agile for those that can match him in straight line pace.
He's going to be too strong for anyone who can match him in pace & agility.

Morris is our "3rd or 4th" defender but if I were playing an opposition team that had Stringer in the side Moz is the first player I'd go to, perhaps swapping with Wood near the end of quarters to try and generate rebound run off him knowing that Stringer's tank is still a work in progress.
Plan B would be hard - probably Wood who is giving up significant size & strength, Talia as third option although Stinger would eat him alive one on one.

Yep agree. I'm talking best defender regardless of height. You're right I would play Moz / Wood on him too, Steve Morris from Richmond gives up size but is their best stopper and has played well on Stringer in the past. Stringer will always be too tall / agile or strong for 99% of defenders but you just put your best one on him to negate his influence. Getting the 3rd or 4th best defender will definitely work to our advantage but it won't happen.

SonofScray
09-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Tend to agree. Goals are an important aspect of footy, you need blokes who can kick them in areas where they can be kicked, and in plenty.

F'scary
09-03-2015, 07:52 PM

Players need to hit a happy medium. I can recall Brendan Goddard did something similar. He had bulked up something shocking early in his career (it may have been during the maximum bulk era of the AFL) and became the object of much scorn among StK supporters as he was constantly led to the ball and looking like he was running out of puff. He then trimmed down and the rest is history, the loss of bulk completely changed the way he played.