PDA

View Full Version : Tom Campbell - 2015 season

GVGjr
09-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Campbell has been getting better each year since he has arrived at the club.
He initially caught our eye with some strong marks and goals in a NAB game and has worked his way on to the senior list

One of the initial knocks on Campbell was his fitness and mobility but from what I have seen of him over the pre-season he has dropped a bit of weight and now seems to be the fittest he can be since he arrived at the club and his mobility has also improved.

The question remains since his arrival if he can offer us much as a 2nd ruckman and as a key forward?
He is probably more of a genuine ruckman than a 2nd string type but with Minson in front of him and with a couple of forwards coming on it will be interesting to see if he can command a semi regular spot in the senior team.

Can Campbell command a regular spot in the team?
How many senior games is he likely to play this year?
Can he be effective as a forward that takes his turn in the ruck?

If you can put some detail and logic with your responses it would be appreciated.

Go_Dogs
09-03-2015, 01:09 PM
It's a really tough set of questions. Like you, I rate Campbell and think he's going to develop into a good long term player for us.

Given the number of talls we now have and that Minson has had more of a pre-season, I'm reluctant to say Campbell will command a regular spot. We need to get games into Boyd and Redpath, who along with Stringer, Crameri and Bontempelli mean we have some serious height rotating through the forward line. I couldn't justify selecting Campbell if he was going to have to spend at least 50% of the game forward.

The concern however is, how long is Campbell going to be content to wait in the wings and will another club come knocking if he struggles to get significant senior opportunity this year? For that reason, I'd like to see him play 12+ games in the senior side - he's proven he can do it at VFL level and AFL opportunity is what he needs now for continued development. He also offers more than Minson in that he has shown he can go forward and pinch a goal. I think that works in his favour as the new coach is big on versatility - it seems plausible Campbell can overtake Minson this year.

Maddog37
09-03-2015, 01:35 PM
I think Campbell's good is better than Minnos. His lack of defensive ground work has made him a liability when resting forward and his inability to ruck for extended periods has made him unable to carry enough load.

If he is more agile, quicker and fitter then a lot of his negatives are reduced.

I am pretty sick of seeing Will getting jumped over in ruck contests or giving away frees due to pushing his opponent illegally. Will gives his all and protects his teammates but he simply won't jump anymore.

Webby
09-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Those three we ripped out of the Bendigo Bombers (Campbell, Dickson and Redpath) upon McCartney's arrival will be really good for us. Dickson not so much as he's just about peaked, but Campbell and Redpath could be exceptional players for the club. It makes you realise how good the scum are at identifying good big blokes. They always seem to have been good at it, whereas we've always struggled in that area.

I'd love to see us really targeting good tall project defenders and forwards in our VFL team - even if it does mean that we're a bit top-heavy and unbalanced as a result. It seems to me that this is what the strong clubs tend to do. We've got a flag now, so it seems to me that we should shift our focus a little bit for the broader objective.

Testekill
09-03-2015, 06:55 PM
The big thing is that Campbell should play in tandem with Cordy. That gives us some flexibility when it comes to resting them up forward while Minson cannot rest forward so is a bit of a liability outside of the ruck.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Campbell has been getting better each year since he has arrived at the club.
He initially caught our eye with some strong marks and goals in a NAB game and has worked his way on to the senior list

One of the initial knocks on Campbell was his fitness and mobility but from what I have seen of him over the pre-season he has dropped a bit of weight and now seems to be the fittest he can be since he arrived at the club and his mobility has also improved.

The question remains since his arrival if he can offer us much as a 2nd ruckman and as a key forward?
He is probably more of a genuine ruckman than a 2nd string type but with Minson in front of him and with a couple of forwards coming on it will be interesting to see if he can command a semi regular spot in the senior team.

Can Campbell command a regular spot in the team?
How many senior games is he likely to play this year?
Can he be effective as a forward that takes his turn in the ruck?

If you can put some detail and logic with your responses it would be appreciated.

The sameness of Minson and Campbell has restricted big Tom's senior opportunities. Minson's poor year last year and an unconvincing match in our opening NAB last week would suggest he is now vulnerable. I would be happy to see Campbell start the season as our number one ruckman providing the MC is convinced that his mobility and fitness has improved. Campbell's ruck work is very good. At 200 cms Tom Boyd should be able to pinch hit as a back up second string ruck man to Campbell. This could be the makings of an exciting ruck combination for the future.

F'scary
09-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Campbell is a much better mark than Will but Will has been much better at the stoppages - that was the key to his magnificent 2013 AA selection.

Bevo's ploy of using Tom Boyd as second ruck (which I have warmed to after initial scepticism) implies there is only room for one of Minson, Campbell or Cordy.

Minson does not play well in the FP and has to be spelled on the bench 100% of the time.

If Big Will's form going into the 2015 home-and-away season is more on a par with 2014 than 2013, the door will be wide open for Campbell if he can grasp his opportunities, something he failed to do last year.

Cyberdoggie
10-03-2015, 02:47 PM
It's going to be tough for Campbell and Cordy to get games with the Boyd arrival.
Not going to be any spots for them other by knocking off Minson or Boyd as the preferred choice.

bornadog
10-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Another season, and Tom can takeover as number one. However at this stage, he is still developing.

Remi Moses
10-03-2015, 04:09 PM
What worries me with Will is his inability to have another string to his bow.
It's either first ruck or bust, whereas at a pinch Campbell and Cordy can go forward .
I think it's time to pick the best on current form and not past deeds, and to be honest Minson was very lucky to play as often as he did .

1eyedog
10-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Minson was drafted as a thump ruckman relying on brute strength a year prior to the centre square bounce amendment laws favoring taller ruckman with a good vertical leap, neither of which apply to Will. The rules really didn't help him. What did help him however was McCartney's contested ball / clearance mantra. A huge emphasis was placed on clearance work at our club and Will and King worked intensively with him to enable him to use his strengths at stoppages. A different game plan of faster ball movement may be a new challenge, one which Campbell may be better placed (having multiple strings to his bow) to benefit from.

GVGjr
10-03-2015, 07:13 PM
What worries me with Will is his inability to have another string to his bow.
It's either first ruck or bust, whereas at a pinch Campbell and Cordy can go forward .
I think it's time to pick the best on current form and not past deeds, and to be honest Minson was very lucky to play as often as he did .

I remember going to training a few years ago where John Barnes worked with Will to improve his marking as a forward. Given that it really hasn't worked I tend to agree it's Will as the number 1 ruckman or he will struggle to get a game.

chef
10-03-2015, 08:31 PM
The big thing is that Campbell should play in tandem with Cordy. That gives us some flexibility when it comes to resting them up forward while Minson cannot rest forward so is a bit of a liability outside of the ruck.

I would have thought Minsons showed a lot more as a forward than Cordy, but I haven't seen a great deal of VFL show I may have missed Ayce showing it there.

Hotdog60
10-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Maybe out of left field could Campbell play in defence, kind of like Wynd use to do.

GVGjr
10-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Maybe out of left field could Campbell play in defence, kind of like Wynd use to do.

Wynd was that loose man in defence and I think Campbell would struggle with it.

Cyberdoggie
10-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Wynd was that loose man in defence and I think Campbell would struggle with it.

I don't think the ruckman can really play that role any more, ie plugging a hole across half back as the numbers are all around the ball or a kick forward or back of the play.

Testekill
10-03-2015, 10:49 PM
I would have thought Minsons showed a lot more as a forward than Cordy, but I haven't seen a great deal of VFL show I may have missed Ayce showing it there.

Ayce played as the forward that took his turn in the ruck last year, he was imposing himself physically on games and was looking much more confident and agile last year.

bornadog
24-08-2015, 11:43 PM
How have we seen Campbell since taking over first ruck?

I don't think he has set the world on fire and still has alot to learn. Before his injury yesterday he really struggled and gave away alot of free kicks.

Does any one think he can be our future number 1

GVGjr
24-08-2015, 11:50 PM

I don't think he has set the world on fire and still has alot to learn. Before his injury yesterday he really struggled and gave away alot of free kicks.

Against good ruckman I tend to think he will struggle but I don't think he fit enough yet to be judged correctly. He needs another season. He seems to lack some flexibility with his body and just needs to get stronger in the contests.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-08-2015, 12:48 PM

Apart from Roughead, TC is still our best ruckman. We did fall away badly when he was injured against WCE and similarly losing Morris from our defence. Campbell still has had limited opportunities and needs to have more senior games under his belt. I like the idea of changing Roughy and big Tom up forward, possibly at the expense of Redpath who struggles in the ruck IMO.

Greystache
25-08-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm constantly surprised to hear how we need to give Cordy a few more years to develop his strength and mobility when realistically he's shown nothing as a player, yet there's always questions about whether we should persist with Campbell any longer despite having shown AFL qualities in patches.

For the record Ayce Cordy is 25, Tom Campbell is 23!

bornadog
25-08-2015, 01:26 PM
I'm constantly surprised to hear how we need to give Cordy a few more years to develop his strength and mobility when realistically he's shown nothing as a player, yet there's always questions about whether we should persist with Campbell any longer despite having shown AFL qualities in patches.

I don't believe anyone is saying that? This thread is about how he is progressing?

Greystache
25-08-2015, 01:48 PM
I don't believe anyone is saying that? This thread is about how he is progressing?

And I'm saying it's early to be making this sort of call. Especially as only a couple of months ago people were saying we need to give Cordy more time before making a call on whether he can be our future number 1 ruck. Campbell is younger and far more advanced than Cordy.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2015, 01:56 PM

I think we're original TC fans, Grey.

What are your thoughts on chasing Kreuzer or Martin? At this point they're an upgrade on what we have and would fit in very nicely, but the flow on effects could see another club poach TC. Would you take the risk that happens or put faith in TC for 2016?

SlimPickens
25-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Think TC has progressed well this year (last week withstanding). Considering he missed large chunks of the preseason I think he has built up his form well and deserves an extended run. 2 weeks ago he was excellent against Melbourne and also very good in the Port and Essendon games. Injury aside, he is our number one ruck.

Getting your pants pulled down by Nic Nat isn't an indictment. The guy is a freak.

Greystache
25-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I think we're original TC fans, Grey.

What are your thoughts on chasing Kreuzer or Martin? At this point they're an upgrade on what we have and would fit in very nicely, but the flow on effects could see another club poach TC. Would you take the risk that happens or put faith in TC for 2016?

I'd be happy enough to go after one of them, probably Kreuzer because he's a FA. I wouldn't touch Leuenberger. Campbell has time on his side to develop and has shown he can at worst be reliable depth which will be important as Kreuzer has been pretty fragile, and he has the potential to develop into a very good player. Martin would be a good pick up but doesn't again doesn't have a huge number of years left in him.

The game has past Minson by and Cordy isn't up to it, so I'd move them both on which would mean we need a mature ruckman and a project from the draft.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-08-2015, 05:03 PM

I would seriously doubt that Ayce Cordy would be a required player beyond this year. Tom Campbell needs to improve on his mobility and overhead marking but at 23 has come along way in the rucking stakes.

Twodogs
26-08-2015, 02:32 PM
How are Campbell's shoulders bearing up? He seems to be worried about them from time to time. Even in matches I see him hit them with his fists but cant tell if it's thereputic or in frustration.