PDA

View Full Version : NAB Challenge - Western Bulldogs V Melbourne (Eureka Stadium)

azabob
09-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Our next NAB cup challenge is against Melbourne at Eureka Stadium in Ballarat on Saturday March 14th at 4.10pm.

I am actually thinking of making the trip to Ballarat - but I've never been to the ground before.

Are any locals or posters able to give the lowdown for those who haven't been there before?

Such as parking at the ground or surrounding areas etc.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season/fixtures-and-results/nab-challenge-fixture

The Bulldogs Bite
09-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Considered going but didn't realise it was 4.10 start - have two birthdays that night.

Is it going to be televised?

GVGjr
09-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Our next NAB cup challenge is against Melbourne at Eureka Stadium in Ballarat on Saturday March 14th at 4.10pm.

I am actually thinking of making the trip to Ballarat - but I've never been to the ground before.

Are any locals or posters able to give the lowdown for those who haven't been there before?

Such as parking at the ground or surrounding areas etc.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season/fixtures-and-results/nab-challenge-fixture

Plenty of parking at the ground. Basic ground which can very very windy and cold if the conditions are that way. Just a few minutes off the Western Freeway turning on to the Midland Highway if you drive.

azabob
09-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Considered going but didn't realise it was 4.10 start - have two birthdays that night.

Is it going to be televised?

I also wrongly assumed it would be a 2.10 start - I guess being mid March they couldn't risk a mid 30 degree day?

I don't think its a fox game, but is being streamed via the AFL website - not sure of the actual details though.

LostDoggy
10-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Yeah it's not televised on Fox.

As GVGr said plenty of parking out the front of the ground and hopefully they open up the showgrounds next door which will mean plenty of parking. There's also plenty of space to park down Norman Street which will only be a 2 minute walk to the ground.

For those thinking of catching the train, it's about a 5 minute drive (Half hour walk) from the station to the ground. There's always plenty of taxi's at the station, getting one back to the station may be difficult though.

Very limited seating in the grandstand so if you want a seat I suggest getting there as soon as the gates open.

Current forcast is 22 - partly cloudy, slight chance of rain and slight winds. Could be worse :p

Cyberdoggie
10-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Yeah it's not televised on Fox.

I think I read somewhere that this game will be on the AFL website.
I had a look taking up that free 4 week trial but realized that they want your credit card and will automatically roll over your free trial to a weekly pass if you don't cancel it.

So does this mean that we can't watch replays of the games from the website during the year?
Or are they just doing this for the nab cup to try and stooge people into paying.

bornadog
10-03-2015, 03:35 PM
I had a look taking up that free 4 week trial but realized that they want your credit card and will automatically roll over your free trial to a weekly pass if you don't cancel it.

So does this mean that we can't watch replays of the games from the website during the year?
Or are they just doing this for the nab cup to try and stooge people into paying.

The AFL has agreed to stream 6 games that Fox isnot covering. This is one of the games to be streamed.

For the games that are not being streamed live in the Apps, they are available from the Club Apps and Online.
The games that this applies to are as follows:

* Saturday 28th February - Brisbane Lions v St Kilda

* Sunday 1 March - Adelaide Crows v North Melbourne

* Saturday 7 March - Great Western Giants v Gold Coast Suns

* Sunday 8 March - Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles

* Saturday 14 March, Western Bulldogs v Melbourne

* Sunday 15 March, Swans v Fremantle.

Please download the Club App (at present Brisbane Lion or St Kilda) and go to the 'news' section. You will be able to watch the stream live from there.

If you go to the clubs online site you can watch it from there. (NOTE: Stream will not work on iPads).

This is only for the AFL NAB Club games that have no coverage in Fox.
link (http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/AFL-Live/NAB-CUP-Live-Streaming-Update/td-p/427222)

Hotdog60
10-03-2015, 08:41 PM

I signed up for the 4 week thingy, I have fox but if I can cast screen with reasonable result I might just cancel fox next season and go with the AFL live stream for the season.

I only have fox for the footy.

Maddog37
10-03-2015, 09:31 PM
I signed up for the 4 week thingy, I have fox but if I can cast screen with reasonable result I might just cancel fox next season and go with the AFL live stream for the season.

I only have fox for the footy.

What can you cast the AFL with? Chromecast?

Twodogs
10-03-2015, 09:52 PM
I think he's gone to find out.

LostDoggy
10-03-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm very annoyed at the 1610 start. I have dinner in Fitzroy at 2030 so will have to miss out. Considering I have to go to Ballarat anyway in the morning, then leave before seeing the game is making me all sad and whingey.

Twodogs
10-03-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm very annoyed at the 1610 start. I have dinner in Fitzroy at 2030 so will have to miss out. Considering I have to go to Ballarat anyway in the morning, then leave before seeing the game is making me all sad and whingey.

Sounds like that funny sound the engine is about to start making will cause the car to break down and strand you in far off, inaccessable Ballarat for the night.

Will we name a less experienced this week? Play some of the Rookies?

I hope we see Caleb Daniel. He's been pretty impressive over preseason in some of the drills and the match simulation. His disposal is very good.

Hotdog60
11-03-2015, 07:34 AM
What can you cast the AFL with? Chromecast?

I have something like Chromecast called Push2tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH78xaKfCZE
I did it for the womens match last year which was ok on my Sony 42"
It will most likely depend on the streaming quality as to how it looks. The game this week should be a good test as I think it should be streamed at their normal resolution.
I only have a standard IQ box for fox so I'm not getting HD anyway.

bornadog
11-03-2015, 09:46 AM
I have something like Chromecast called Push2tv.

For those that don't have chromecast or Push2TV, you can always hook up (depending on your set up) a laptop direct to the TV.

LostDoggy
11-03-2015, 09:56 AM
I watched the match against Richmond on my iPad from Singapore from the AFL website, was great. I will be at Flemington on Saturday, so will just look forward to seeing the replay.

KT31
11-03-2015, 02:45 PM
For those that don't have chromecast or Push2TV, you can always hook up (depending on your set up) a laptop direct to the TV.

I have Apple TV that I can stream to the computer and other devices but I still prefer to use a cable directly into the TV, it seems to work a lot better and is not reliant on the wi-fi.

bornadog
11-03-2015, 03:51 PM
I have Apple TV that I can stream to the computer and other devices but I still prefer to use a cable directly into the TV, it seems to work a lot better and is not reliant on the wi-fi.

With this stream, they are not showing the game through IPAD.

Twodogs
11-03-2015, 04:43 PM
IPAD or Android devices? Because I can use my phone.

bornadog
11-03-2015, 05:20 PM
IPAD or Android devices? Because I can use my phone.

Looks like they only mention IPAD

bornadog
11-03-2015, 05:35 PM
From Club

Saturday's match against Melbourne will be LIVE STREAMED on westernbulldogs.com.au and on our official mobile app.
Download our 2015 iPhone Club App - http://bit.ly/WB15iOS
Download our 2015 Android Club App - http://bit.ly/WB15Android (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FWB15Android&h=UAQHOTUk6&enc=AZOzVnTWFJ4zcdGi289h_heHCWah5YqxS3A-EMwJ9PbFDUEFHYh8bdV7RfdGgd3ME9nIEK3J5UzYv9m_Ytf8UfyeJJVWTOsX volCnZP3boijqme3v9IE0xrhxNxHkqohMkLfCUOBoSMDWblT3xsb5-i3dp5vppcKj047Eq_1xsHckw&s=1)

Ozza
11-03-2015, 05:38 PM

Game will finish by 6:40ish...Ballarat to Fitzroy - probably 90 minutes tops 'scragger !!

Eastdog
11-03-2015, 07:27 PM
It's my team (the mighty Bulldogs) vs my mums team (Melbourne) and then us against my brothers team (Collingwood) - so some family footy rivalry coming up :) Hope for another good competitive hit out with a win but no injuries.

Eastdog
11-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks for that BAD.

Twodogs
11-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Yeah, thanks.

Mofra
12-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Western Bulldogs
1. Jarrad Grant, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Marcus Bontempelli, 5. Matthew Boyd, 9. Jake Stringer, 15. Tom Campbell, 16. Toby McLean, 17. Tom Boyd, 19. Lukas Webb, 20. Daniel Pearce, 22. Mitch Honeychurch, 26. Declan Hamilton, 27. Will Minson, 28. Josh Prudden, 29. Tory Dickson, 30. Joel Hamling, 31. Bailey Dale, 32. Michael Talia, 33. Sam Darley, 34. Jordan Kelly, 35. Caleb Daniel, 37. Roarke Smith, 38. Dale Morris, 39. Jason Johannisen, 42. Liam Picken, 43. Jack Redpath, 44. Brett Goodes, 46. Lin Jong, 49. Ayce Cordy

Melbourne
1. Jesse Hogan, 2. Nathan Jones, 3. Christian Salem, 4. Jack Watts, 5. Jimmy Toumpas, 6. Chris Dawes, 7. Jack Viney, 8. Heritier Lumumba, 11. Max Gawn, 12. Dom Tyson, 13. Jordie Mckenzie, 14. Lynden Dunn, 15. Billy Stretch, 17. Sam Frost, 18. Daniel Cross, 19. Ben Newton, 20. Colin Garland, 21. Cameron Pedersen, 22. Viv Michie, 24. Jay Kennedy-Harris, 25. Tom McDonald, 31. Jack Grimes, 36. Jeff Garlett, 37. Aaron vandenBerg, 39. Neville Jetta, 40. Mark Jamar, 44. Rohan Bail, 45. Matt Jones, 48. Jack Fitzpatrick

All our draftees named

LostDoggy
12-03-2015, 02:12 PM
So from the best 25 we have missing - Murphy, Libba, Crameri, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Roughead, Hunter, Stevens, Wood, Hrovat, Smith

Wonder if the 3 who miss out will also be older heads.

bornadog
12-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne

Saturday 14 March 2014, 4:10pm

Venue: Eureka Stadium, Ballarat

Gates Open: 2:30pm

Broadcast: There is no television broadcast of this match, however a live stream will be available via westernbulldogs.com.au and the official club mobile app.

Radio: CrocMedia (AFL Live via the AFL Mobile App)

Match Day ticketing

2015 Western Bulldogs Access members will be able to scan their membership card at the ground to enter, subject to capacity.

Members with a 2015 Ballarat Bulldog membership product will be able to collect a ticket from the Bulldogs Marquee at Eureka Stadium.

Tickets are available for the general public via Ticketmaster, or can be purchased on the day at Eureka Stadium.

Membership sales and enquiries will be available on the day from the Bulldogs Marquee.

Interested in joining the Ballarat Bulldogs supporter group? The official Ballarat Bulldogs supporter group is a great way to mingle with fellow Bulldogs fans at games and regular events during the season. For further information please contact Linda Murray on 03 9680 6142 or linda.murray@westernbulldogs.com.au

bornadog
12-03-2015, 02:18 PM
So from the best 25 we have missing - Murphy, Libba, Crameri, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Roughead, Hunter, Stevens, Wood, Hrovat, Smith

I think its great to give some young guys some experience. I wonder who will captain for the day

Cyberdoggie
12-03-2015, 02:18 PM
As expected the second tier blokes all getting a go for this match but a lot of the key talls remain the same, plus Boyd and Bonts who missed the intra club.

Pretty strong Dees lineup. most of their big names are in from what I can tell. Our defence will be tested against Hogan, Dawes, Gawn, Watts.

Will be really interesting game. Hopefully our young guys can make a good account of themselves.
Looking for big games from Daniel, Prudden, Jong, Honeychurch and Goodes. We need them to stand up and push for selection.

boydogs
12-03-2015, 09:44 PM

Clay Smith, not Roarke who is playing. Clay is one I would have liked to see play to help build him back to where he needs to be

Twodogs
12-03-2015, 10:03 PM

I think they will.

Cyberdoggie
13-03-2015, 11:03 AM
So Stevens will miss two weeks in a row?

During pre-season games that usually means he has an injury they aren't telling us about.

KT31
13-03-2015, 01:30 PM
From Club

Thank you BAD, I will have be able to put it on at the cricket clubrooms.

Cyberdoggie
13-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Thank you BAD, I will have be able to put it on at the cricket clubrooms.

And just hope that your not fielding?

BornInDroopSt'54
13-03-2015, 06:35 PM
I'll be there with a Demon mate. Interesting parallels between the two teams not the least of which is Hogan and Boyd. I suspect Hogan will be the better player initially before Tom hits his straps. Dees had a potentially dynamite forward line before Mitch Clark left. He kicked six goals against Adelaide this week for Geelong. I hope that is not what will happen to Jarrad Grant.
It will be a challenge to identify all our young guys with all the new numbers, what's his face McLean in 16 now. I'll take an idiot sheet with me. Roarke has long hair, Daniels is the short arse, Declan Hamilton has that Jarman heavy eyebrow look, Lucas Webb is a lefty, Hamling tall and blond. Jordan Kelly who the hell is he? Ill have to listen to "....and tell em Dougie sent ya..." again.

F'scary
13-03-2015, 08:09 PM

I'd be happy for Minson to sit it out to give Campbell and The Ayce a go. Morris has nothing to prove, rest him. Likewise Picken.

GVGjr
13-03-2015, 08:32 PM
So Stevens will miss two weeks in a row?

During pre-season games that usually means he has an injury they aren't telling us about.

Stevens played against Richmond and injured his forearm. I believe he will be right for the game against Collingwood.

LostDoggy
13-03-2015, 09:11 PM
I'd be happy for Minson to sit it out to give Campbell and The Ayce a go. Morris has nothing to prove, rest him. Likewise Picken.

Morris is playing. He is our captain for tomorrow.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-03-2015, 09:33 PM

Very inexperienced backline without Roughie and Murph. Toumpas, Crossy, Jones, Viney and have the potential to be a good midfield if they develop well. I hope McLean can show a bit tomorrow, a speccy would be good. Howe not in for them.

Remi Moses
14-03-2015, 12:05 AM
Not sure about Toumpas( early I know) how they didn't pick up Wines was baffling

Cyberdoggie
14-03-2015, 01:20 AM
Not sure about Toumpas( early I know) how they didn't pick up Wines was baffling

That one surely is Todd Viney's fault!. His son gets picked but his best mate who grew up with him didn't, and he was exactly the type of player they needed.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 04:10 AM

I have a Melbourne mate who thinks we should have picked Wines over Macrae

Twodogs
14-03-2015, 08:15 AM

As much as I love Jack Macrae, I'd take that.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2015, 08:57 AM

If Toumpas can get a good run at it, he'll be fine.

He's somewhat similar to Polec who has started to hit his straps now, another SA boy who is probably more outside, but loves to run and carry as well as having the ability to apply scoreboard pressure.

All of that being said, Wines is already a very good footballer and looks set to have a very distinguished career - I don't think there would be many who'd pass on him in hindsight.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Hoping I'll be able to catch a bit of the stream this afternoon.

I'm mostly looking forward to hearing how our draftees go, along with Prudden, Daniel, JJ and Darley who all seem to be on the edge of selection for round 1 - would be great for some or all of them to really stamp their claim.

G-Mo77
14-03-2015, 09:06 AM
As much as I love Jack Macrae, I'd take that.

I wouldn't. Wines, IMO is closer to his ceiling than Macrae. We've got a real special player there.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 09:12 AM
We will struggle to win today but the real appeal to me is seeing many of our youngsters running around for the first time.
Some of them won't be ready but hopefully we can hit the scoreboard enough to keep us close.

The match-ups will also be interesting. Looking forward to it.

1eyedog
14-03-2015, 09:35 AM

Interesting comment. I wonder if he would think differently in 2-3 years when we are as good as Port Adelaide. Wines is already a very good player, but his job is made that much easier by having established players take on the load and also by having a strong game plan built on an exciting brand of football. In short, I think it has been easier for Wines to get into the game and he's had more support both from players and game plan than what MaCrae has experienced. The jury is still out on who will be a better player.

Bulldog Revolution
14-03-2015, 12:31 PM
It will be very interesting to see how our youngsters go

I want to see massive effort and hopefully flashes of exciting skill

bornadog
14-03-2015, 01:23 PM

At the time, I thought the same, but I think Macrae will be better than Wines. He has already shown he is a ball accumulator, just needs to build his core strength and he will be an A Grader.

F'scary
14-03-2015, 02:30 PM

thanks, I knew :) - I was just saying I'd prefer the known, seasoned performers to be rested in favour of getting more experience into the unknown unknowns, after all it is just the NAB Cup.

Mantis
14-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Interesting comment. I wonder if he would think differently in 2-3 years when we are as good as Port Adelaide. Wines is already a very good player, but his job is made that much easier by having established players take on the load and also by having a strong game plan built on an exciting brand of football. In short, I think it has been easier for Wines to get into the game and he's had more support both from players and game plan than what MaCrae has experienced. The jury is still out on who will be a better player.

Port Adel might have 2 or 3 flags by then whereas we might be just pushing for a top 8 spot.

Mantis
14-03-2015, 03:39 PM
At the time, I thought the same, but I think Macrae will be better than Wines. He has already shown he is a ball accumulator, just needs to build his core strength and he will be an A Grader.

Agree that he is an accumulator, but does he have hurt factor?

Interesting year for Jackson, he is going to get 'sat on' quite a bit.. interesting to see how he handles it.

LostDoggy
14-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Tell your Melbourne mate that they both look better than Toumpas. Interesting that Melbourne supporters have a go at our recruiting after their litany of drafting issues over recent years. Macrae is already a very accomplished mid and already has match winning ability - see Gold Coast game last year

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Tell your Melbourne mate that they both look better than Toumpas. Interesting that Melbourne supporters have a go at our recruiting after their litany of drafting issues over recent years. Macrae is already a very accomplished mid and already has match winning ability - see Gold Coast game last year

A couple of things on this, my mate thinks Toumpas is an average top 10 pick but better suited as a late first round pick. He rates Wines as a top 4 pick and has him just ahead of Macrae. His logic is that Wines plays right in the middle but if needed could play on a flank or a wing. He isn't convinced that Macrae could be the number 1 midfielder on a team but rates his ball getting ability.
I don't bother to argue against it as it's just an opinion. Both Port and us are happy enough with our picks.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 05:25 PM
A mile behind at the moment. Can barely get a hold of the footy

jazzadogs
14-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Live stream up and running. Commentary from Liam Pickering and Craig Hutchison, who must be sitting about 3km away without binoculars based on it so far.

Demons have been dominating early possession, but spending a lot of that possession going sideways and not forward. We are defending well considering the weight of possession...would like to see us attacking more!

EDIT: and as I write that Jason Johannisen and Lin Jong both have huge runs through the middle of the ground. More please!

LostDoggy
14-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Liam Pickering is unbearable in commentary.

G-Mo77
14-03-2015, 05:35 PM
This is awful. Players are forced to run 1km because everyone is on one side of the ground.

always right
14-03-2015, 05:36 PM
When we do get the ball we have no forward structure. Deja vu.

Reckon we'll play better into the wind. It forces players to lower their eyes.

chef
14-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Good runs from JJ and Jong the highlights so far, along with Redpath laying a good tackle.

Going to be a tough day with an inexperienced side.

Webby
14-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Melbourne Firsts vs WB U/19's. Opposite of us v Tiges.

Non event.

always right
14-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Disappointing that Melbourne are getting loose players up forward.

lemmon
14-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Not much to take out of it so far, Boyd still at halfback even considering how young the midfield is. Wouldn't mind shifting him in just to win a clearance or two

G-Mo77
14-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Good runs from JJ and Jong the highlights so far, along with Redpath laying a good tackle.

Going to be a tough day with an inexperienced side.
Pointless runs though. One was a handball to Daniel then kick down Dunn throat. The other was a free for running to far. Kicking with a slight breeze in the first and all our players are at the defensive end?

always right
14-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Talia has dropped two chest marks FFS.

HOSE B ROMERO
craig hutchinson.... unbearable...

lemmon
The last 30 seconds were nightmare stuff

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2015, 05:53 PM
What experienced players have we got out that would make a lot of difference?

Eastdog
14-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Cordy gets our first. Thank goodness.

GVGjr
Thank you Ayce, we get our first goal

lemmon
Good boy Ayce, nice finish

always right
14-03-2015, 05:55 PM
what experienced players have we got out that would make a lot of difference?

r u serious?

Remi Moses
14-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Boy oh boy Wow wee Michael Talia just made two schoolboy errors

jazzadogs
14-03-2015, 05:57 PM
What experienced players have we got out that would make a lot of difference?

Murphy, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Crameri, Wood, Hrovat, C Smith, T Boyd, Libba. Replaced by 7 players playing their first ever game of AFL-level football.

Clearly a very young and inexperienced side...

Remi Moses
14-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Really difficult to equate this team to round 1.
I'll wait until the real stuff starts until I hit the pessimism button.
Think it will be a long year regardlrss

Eze Dog
14-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Murphy, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Crameri, Wood, Hrovat, C Smith, T Boyd, Libba. Replaced by 7 players playing their first ever game of AFL-level football.

Also Roughead.

Eastdog
14-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Very poor I have to say that Fox Footy isn't telecasting the game. Since we pay for it and they say they have all games live - not necessarily true.

lemmon
14-03-2015, 06:02 PM

Liam Picken would be handy around the contest also

always right
14-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Our transition to defence is a real worry.

always right
14-03-2015, 06:05 PM
What is really concerning is how Minson and Campbell have been monstered in the ruck. Hate to say it but I reckon Jamar intimidates Will.

jazzadogs
14-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Very poor I have to say that Fox Footy isn't telecasting the game. Since we pay for it and they say they have all games live - not necessarily true.

Live stream on westernbulldogs website mate! Standard of camera work and commentary not great, but neither is Fox half the time!

Eastdog
14-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Live stream on westernbulldogs website mate! Standard of camera work and commentary not great, but neither is Fox half the time!

Im listening on Crocmedia radio. Not too fussed. Its not the real stuff yet.

Eze Dog
14-03-2015, 06:10 PM
I feel like Bevo has just thrown a team together with all our fringe/young players and sprinkling it with a bit of experience just to see who is willing to step up/deserves a spot in round one.

GVGjr
It's like watching the Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals at the moment.

Hamling has done some nice things in contests so has Honeychurch. Cordy looks to be the pick of our ruckman.

Skill level is a long way off and while I know it's a very young side it's a disappointing level we are displaying.

G-Mo77
The excuses flying around in here. We've got a lot out but there is plenty of experience out there to lead this team. Sadly it's not lack of experience that is making us look so awful.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-03-2015, 06:12 PM
The excuses flying around in here. We've got a lot out but there is plenty of experience out there to lead this team. Sadly it's not lack of experience that is making us look so awful.

Agreed.

Very ugly so far.

bornadog
14-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Agreed.

Very ugly so far.

Frankly one goal in half a game is embarrassing.

Remi Moses
14-03-2015, 06:14 PM

I don't think having a very inexperienced side in is an " excuse" but is fairly significant .
Pretty disappointing effort

Eastdog
14-03-2015, 06:17 PM
I don't think having a very inexperienced side in is an " excuse" but is fairly significant .

I think it is a valid excuse. If we had a stronger side in and served this up then yes no excuse.

comrade
14-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Just getting destroyed on the spread. They're clean and fast. We're slow and sloppy, continuously burning kick after kick.

No structure, no run.

McClean has had a few nice kicks. Talia has been filthy. We need to pull out all the stops to get our hands on a gun key back.

G-Mo77
14-03-2015, 06:19 PM

Why is it so significant when our more senior players have hardly been sited. I can count 3 players who can hold their heads up Jong, Honeychurch and Hamling. 3 inexperienced players.

Testekill
14-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Minson has gotta be feeling Campbell & Cordy breathing down his neck. His ruckwork has been shocking today and his work around the ground hasn't been better.

Eastdog
14-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Minson has gotta be feeling Campbell & Cordy breathing down his neck. His ruckwork has been shocking today and his work around the ground hasn't been better.

For a long time Minson never reached the heights when Hudson was there.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 06:24 PM
I think it is a valid excuse. If we had a stronger side in and served this up then yes no excuse.

It's a consideration but shouldn't be an excuse for poor skill execution.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2015, 06:25 PM
What is really concerning is how Minson and Campbell have been monstered in the ruck. Hate to say it but I reckon Jamar intimidates Will.

Will is ordinary. Jongy our best by far. Regardless who is picked no excuse for lack of attack on the footy.

Eastdog
14-03-2015, 06:27 PM
It's a consideration but shouldn't be an excuse for poor skill execution.

What can be done to improve skill execution. We have just been so poor in that area and it needs to get better if we are going to be a good side.

Remi Moses
14-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Why is it so significant when our more senior players have hardly been sited. I can count 3 players who can hold their heads up Jong, Honeychurch and Hamling. 3 inexperienced players.

I'll get annoyed if they display that form in round 1, and I'll reserve my annoyance for then.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Grant with a poor miss but he has been okay with his efforts

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Nice set shot Granty.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Ayce has been good today.

F'scary
14-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Just getting destroyed on the spread. They're clean and fast. We're slow and sloppy, continuously burning kick after kick.

No structure, no run.

McClean has had a few nice kicks. Talia has been filthy. We need to pull out all the stops to get our hands on a gun key back.

We should just settle on pulling out all the stops to get our hands on a gun!

Remi Moses
14-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Just out of interest Richmond are pant sing Port.
Port are gone

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 06:44 PM
It's going to be a struggle, Melbourne aren't slowing down.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Good last few minutes

lemmon
14-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Bonts has Chris Grant type presence

always right
14-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Really disappointed in Stringer today. Looks completely disinterested.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2015, 06:52 PM
We should just settle on pulling out all the stops to get our hands on a gun!

I don't think a firing squad is the answer just yet F'scary...

jazzadogs
14-03-2015, 06:52 PM

I felt the same about him in the Richmond game until the last 10 minutes. Not sure what's going on.

Dickson also been barely sighted, in the battle of Dickson v Grant he'd be losing quite comfortably.

bornadog
14-03-2015, 06:53 PM

Similar games against Richmond

Eastdog
14-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Sounds like we had a good little period towards the end of the 3rd listening on the radio.

1eyedog
14-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Similar games against Richmond

Big time player it seems

G-Mo77
Lot better, more intensity. What you'd expect to see. I really hope they can keep it up in the last.

HOSE B ROMERO
Loving the music during the breaks on the web stream... much better than listening to Hutchy and Pickers beating their gums.

always right
Yet people are bagging Grant who has been much better than Stringer (and Dickson) today.

1eyedog
14-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Loving the music during the breaks on the web stream... much better than listening to Hutchy and Pickers beating their gums.

Was thinking the same thing

GVGjr
I'll be happy enough if we can just kick a couple of goals in the last quarter.

Grant had a good quarter and he and Honeychurch have been the better player. Goodes got into it that quarter.

bornadog
Yet people are bagging Grant who has been much better than Stringer (and Dickson) today.

Grant one of the better players overall today.

1eyedog

Well Gia and Higgins are gone now...

The Bulldogs Bite

He was terrible v Richmond aside from the last few minutes and he was terrible in the Intra Club last week. Even worse today. Perhaps he's believing his own hype. I know it's pre-season but I find it frustrating watching him go about it at the moment.

Jong has been very good - some great efforts in that quarter, ditto Honeychurch who I am a real fan of. Bonts turned it on for a few minutes and kicked an amazing goal.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 06:56 PM

Just made mention of Grant. Has done his chances of a round one selection no harm.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2015, 06:56 PM

Won't hear a bad word about Granty.

bornadog
14-03-2015, 06:57 PM
He was terrible v Richmond aside from the last few minutes and he was terrible in the Intra Club last week. Even worse today. Perhaps he's believing his own hype. I know it's pre-season but I find it frustrating watching him go about it at the moment.

Jong has been very good - some great efforts in that quarter, ditto Honeychurch who I am a real fan of. Bonts turned it on for a few minutes and kicked an amazing goal.

Very impressed with honeychurch, he looks a player.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2015, 06:58 PM

Tough going with a new born.. not much sleep maybe.

Before I Die
14-03-2015, 06:58 PM
The focus should really be on the individual performances of the newbies. The scoreboard is disappointing, but look at the Port vs Richmond game. It means nothing. We can't expect slick movement or a tight game plan with so many inexperienced kids.

Who has been the pick of the first gamers? Hamling perhaps?

hujsh
14-03-2015, 06:59 PM

And the crappy SEN adds.

lemmon
14-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Think the draftees have all been a positive as well. McLean has attacked the contest hard, Daniel has been okay with some of his close in work and Webb looks to have the body for it.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Redpath hasn't been able to do much. Quite a contrast on recent weeks.

jazzadogs
14-03-2015, 07:03 PM
The comeback is on!!

lemmon
14-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Nice piece of play, Bonti got the hands from half back, speared a ball through the middle to a leading Stringer who hit up Jong, he dropped the easy mark but cleaned up his work and snapped from 35

Eastdog
14-03-2015, 07:04 PM
The comeback is on!!

I reckon we are a chance now :)

lemmon
14-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Hamling has been pretty dogged today, pleased with his efforts

Eastdog
14-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Yes! That is 6 in a row. Go for it Dogs!

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Great shot Boydy.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Hamling has been pretty dogged today, pleased with his efforts

He he has a real go. Eade would say pleasing.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2015, 07:17 PM
The focus should really be on the individual performances of the newbies. The scoreboard is disappointing, but look at the Port vs Richmond game. It means nothing. We can't expect slick movement or a tight game plan with so many inexperienced kids.

Who has been the pick of the first gamers? Hamling perhaps?
yep.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Good to see some intensity in the last qtr

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 07:20 PM
This is a very good effort. We will take a number of positives out of the 2nd half.

G-Mo77
14-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Great 2nd half. Can't fault them after half time.

lemmon
14-03-2015, 07:26 PM
I am really, really liking Webb. He absolutely throws himself into the contest, has a penetrating left foot and already has a body for the contest. He hasn't been spoken about much this pre-season but he could play a few games on a wing this year and looks a midfielder of the future. Exciting.

jazzadogs
14-03-2015, 07:27 PM
This is a very good effort. We will take a number of positives out of the 2nd half.

A really positive sign for Beveridge and his ability to connect with the players, for mine.

To have such a change in intensity from one half to the next tells me that at the least he has the ability to change his plan and motivate the players to also adapt.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Great to see a young side fight it out for the 2nd half. Fit and determined side.

A few positives and perhaps a few questions answered for our round one selections.

lemmon
14-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Ayce may not be done with yet as an AFL footballer either, he was easily the best of our tall trio. His groundwork was very good and his skills were excellent

F'scary
14-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Great to see a young side fight it out for the 2nd half. Fit and determined side.

A few positives and perhaps a few questions answered for our round one selections.

Would really appreciate your thoughts after that teaser bolded above...

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Ayce may not be done with yet as an AFL footballer either, he was easily the best of our tall trio. His groundwork was very good and his skills were excellent

I'm more than happy to have him on our list. Thought he showed enough today

Scorlibo
14-03-2015, 07:32 PM
I only saw the last quarter but Caleb Daniel and Lukas Webb were very impressive. Daniel with some incredibly quick hands and decision making in tight. Webb with great reading of the play, use of the ball and throwing his bigger frame into some hard tackles as well. He looks the full package.

bornadog
14-03-2015, 07:32 PM
I am really, really liking Webb. He absolutely throws himself into the contest, has a penetrating left foot and already has a body for the contest. He hasn't been spoken about much this pre-season but he could play a few games on a wing this year and looks a midfielder of the future. Exciting.

I think he was the pick of the new draftees.

chef
14-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Great end to the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Impressive second half. The effort was fantastic, the young guys really got us going, but the side as a whole pulled together and made a full strength Melbourne side look very shaky.

Webb was great in the last quarter especially. Started to look more comfortable and play on instinct - put his body in, linked up, made some great tackles and has a very good left boot. I was a fan pre-draft and was happy we took him. I thought Daniel was impressive too - he'll play early in the season IMO. His game awareness is phenomenal, uses it well and applied good pressure. Hamilton's ball use needs work but he can find the ball and stayed involved - encouraging signs.

Cordy played very well, makes this next game v Collingwood interesting. Minson improved in the second half, Campbell was disappointing - I wonder if Ayce can push late for a round one birth? Hamling showed a bit and will be better when Roughead plays, whilst Bont/Jong/Honeychurch all pretty impressive.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 07:36 PM
A lot of our draftees are light in the body but they have good endurance. Give them time and they will be good players for us. Most of them finished the game strongly.

F'scary
14-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Ticks:

Today 4 of the new draftees showed to me that they will prove valuable going forward: Webb, Daniel, Hamilton & McLean.

Hamling could make it.

Big tick to Beveridge who kept very positive with the players during that abysmal first half.

Crosses: it looked to me that Stringer, Bonti, Minson and a few of the more experienced players took the game so lightly in the first half, I'm not sure what the point was in playing them - did we have a few less experienced players who could have been slotted in instead of the stars? I think their lack of effort had a negative effect on the younger players.

F'scary
14-03-2015, 07:52 PM
All in all a pretty good result in the end as Melbourne (correct me if I'm wrong) fielded close to their best side while I can count 11 first team players out of our side today: Murphy, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Crameri, Wood, Macrae, Hrovat, Tom Boyd, Roughead, Stevens and Picken. Add Clay Smith to that group on the assumption he will be good for half the season. And then there is Biggs as well who should be pushing for senior selection.

Webby
14-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Yeah, okay in the end. Quite a relief, really.

F'scary
14-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Really liked what I saw of Caleb Daniel. Quick, slick hands in traffic and gets in low to be first to the ball as the players dive for it. He could turn out to be a clearance machine.

Webby
14-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Webb and Hamilton big pluses... O'Rourke...... Nat sooo much...

Wait and see.. He's very raw, to be fair.

The other two, quite pleased.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 08:22 PM

I don't think Roarke Smith came on before the last quarter. Might have missed it though

Scorlibo
14-03-2015, 08:23 PM

Do you mean Roarke Smith?

Webby
14-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Stringer and Bonti very flat. Hopefully as result of training load....

But Webb was good. That's both NAB Cup games he's been good. He's a lock.

And I'm not just saying that because of his name!

LostDoggy
14-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Nice piece of play, Bonti got the hands from half back, speared a ball through the middle to a leading Stringer who hit up Jong, he dropped the easy mark but cleaned up his work and snapped from 35

Stringer and Bonti very flat. Hopefully as result of training load....

But Webb was good. That's both NAB Cup games he's been good. He's a lock.

And I'm not just saying that because of his name!
I am pretty sure that Webb did not play in the other NAB game.

Webby
14-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Hamilton & McLean also pretty good. Not a bad day in the end. Melbourne went from chocolates to boiled lollies in the end!

Webby
14-03-2015, 08:35 PM
I am pretty sure that Webb did not play in the other NAB game.

I'm fuzzy ATM. You're right. It was the Family Day intraclub I'm thinking of. What I recall is that he's big bodied, can get it and can use it.

You're right. It was Family Day. Nonetheless, he's impressed me 2 times out of 2. He looks the part.. Unlike Jarrad Grant!

G-Mo77
14-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Just got back. It's a beautiful drive to Ballarat from Bendigo although on the way home went throw Newstead/Maldon which was a bit of a bore.

The game. 1st half was awful, bloody awful. For some reason we continuously flooded in the first quarter while kicking with a breeze. Many times we rebounded and had to pull up and stop or run it into goal by foot. While flooding Melbourne were able to pick holes through our entire team in one half of the ground. I was disgusted and felt like driving home at half time.

Glad I didn't. We really lifted in the 2nd half, a lot more intensity, tackling was great and while it wasn't perfect football we got our goals through hard work. For a very young side we were able to run out the game to the end I think that positive is really significant. To me it was disappointing in the first half to see a young team with no hunger it was good to see it there in the 2nd.

I really like the forgotten short guys game: Honeychurch was really good today. One of our few good players in the first half and continued it on in the 2nd. Jong I liked, again another one of the few in the first half. Looks like he's got a good leap on him as well which I haven't seen. Bonts really stepped up in the 2nd oozes class and looked ahead of everyone when he was on. Hamling held up well down back he's well ahead of Talia. Matty Boyd put together a good game as well.

GVGjr
14-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Some observations for the game today:

The Good
- Our 2nd half effort to me is in part a sign of the fitness that our players have. We appear to have done the work and are in a good position with our fitness.
- Some of the players on the fringes performed well. Honeychurch, Grant, Jong (not really a fringe player) Hamling and Cordy all showed enough to at least be in discussions for our round one selections.
- Our draftees all had their moments with Webb and Daniel the better performers
- Goodes and Kelly off the rookie list offer some depth

The Bad
- Despite two or three lightning runs Johannisen quirky kicking skills unraveled in the conditions. Perhaps he is better at Etihad
- Redpath came back to earth today and was soundly beaten for the better part of the game.
- Talia had a howler. Battled hard but seemed to be off the pace.

The Ugly
- The first half effort was very poor and our skill level was very disappointing.

Overall:
We have to be pleased with the way we finished off the game but it could have easily been a devastating result.
Next week will be a better test of where we really are.

Webby
14-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Yep, Talia and Redpath were disappointing today. Redpath was just not on. Talia was reasonable early, but faded to nothing after about 10 mins.

G-Mo77
14-03-2015, 09:32 PM
- Talia had a howler. Battled hard but seemed to be off the pace.

Yeah, yikes. With that first half of his he'd have been dragged in VFL. There was no help though and sometimes got caught out because a teammate didn't help. He did make some unforced errors which he'll have to wear. Times he got caught out when he had to leave his opponent and no one would drop back on the opponent he left so was left defending 2. Tough day for him.

Happy Days
14-03-2015, 09:33 PM
I went today. Felt bad for the Broadsheet bagel van missing their target market by about 120kms, but it was nice to be made to feel at home away from home.

The real positives for me were (in no particular order) Jong, Honeychurch, Grant and Cordy. Jong in particular, who was apparently the only one who turned up before half time. His spatial awareness seems much improved, and he is really using his athletic advantages to his...advantage. That run through the centre of the ground in the 1st quarter was breathtaking. Kicking looks better too.

On the other side of the coin, we need to find a way to actually get the ball. We had to do the footballing equivalent today of taking 2 punches to get 1 in; the work to get the ball was not only overwhelming, but ensured we did nothing with it when we did get it. Those first half possession numbers are damning. I can forgive this given the side we both played, and were playing, but not a trend I want to see continuing.

Minson looked...not so good. I think this was the game not to play him, but now (given how I anticipate we will work this pre-season) when we play our pretty-much-full-strength team next time out, he has to be there. Also, I think we all realised today that we have to cop another season of Matthew Boyd in the midfield ( :( )

Side note; if you pick Boyd in the squad and don't play him, why not have him sit at the membership sign up tent all day? He's at the ground, presumably sitting; why not just move the seat? Could have moved 50 memberships by himself today, not to mention make a few kids' weeks.

westdog54
14-03-2015, 10:21 PM
I think this game needs to be seen for what it is. A young team with a new coach adjusting to a totally foreign game plan, on a ground not conducive to good kicking.

Glad to see that Hamling showed something today.

I'm really worried about Talia now.

ratsmac
14-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your reports. I missed the game today. It was a funny old day at the office it seems. It's good to hear that the honey badger played well. I like that kid!

SonofScray
14-03-2015, 11:55 PM
I went today. Felt bad for the Broadsheet bagel van missing their target market by about 120kms, but it was nice to be made to feel at home away from home.

Round the Way? One of my best mates truck. Great bloke, really kicking goals with his business.

jeemak
15-03-2015, 12:03 AM
I'm looking forward to the replay to see how bad the first half was and why, and seeing the turnaround in the second half. I note Webby's comments about Grant don't really align with some other posters comments, what was the good side versus the bad side?

I haven't seen enough of Talia however, what I have actually seen and from what I've read today there's a long way to go for him. I can understand why McCartney didn't expose him to senior football as much as we might have liked over the last 24 months.

GVGjr
15-03-2015, 12:18 AM
I'm looking forward to the replay to see how bad the first half was and why, and seeing the turnaround in the second half. I note Webby's comments about Grant don't really align with some other posters comments, what was the good side versus the bad side?

I haven't seen enough of Talia however, what I have actually seen and from what I've read today there's a long way to go for him. I can understand why McCartney didn't expose him to senior football as much as we might have liked over the last 24 months.

A lot of people have high hopes for Talia and were very critical that he wasn't given more of a run last season. From my perspective he didn't earn his spot last season and simply wasn't given a free ticket to the seniors.
Today's performance wasn't good but he should still play next week to see if he can rebound. We will learn a lot about Talia and Roberts this year.

I though Grant competed well and provided a bit of a spark when we were struggling. Not great but he has done himself no harm in trying to get a spot in the seniors.

jeemak
15-03-2015, 01:51 AM
It's funny, I just rate Talia as I'd rate anyone picked at 39. Half a chance to make it, half a chance not to.

Just because we need tall defenders, and just because he was about as good as it got for that category in his draft year it doesn't mean he's going to make it.

However, just like any decent tall coming from the junior ranks he needs to learn how to play against big bodies and players he can't beat with sheer athleticism and physicality. He needs to learn the craft.

ledge
15-03-2015, 01:55 AM
I was sitting with Roarke Smiths mother before the game and she told me he would only play the last quarter and that he had a sore knee.
.. Just thought I would give you a reason why he wasn't sighted much at all

LostDoggy
15-03-2015, 01:56 AM
Grant had a couple of bad moments but overall was pretty good today.

Boyd really lifted the side when moved into the middle. He will be very important this year.

Honeychurch was great. I had doubts on him making it before today. He really showed us some different aspects to his game.

Interesting post match comments from Bevo singling out Dickson as being a standout for his defensive work. Thought he realy struggled to get involved.

Agree with most sentiments regarding the first quarter. Breeze was up and we had noone inside forward 50. Was very strange. I understand the tatic of opening up the forward line and running back into space, but quite often it was Minson/Redpath against 3 defenders. Made no sense.

jeemak
15-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Grant had a couple of bad moments but overall was pretty good today.

Boyd really lifted the side when moved into the middle. He will be very important this year.

Honeychurch was great. I had doubts on him making it before today. He really showed us some different aspects to his game.

Interesting post match comments from Bevo singling out Dickson as being a standout for his defensive work. Thought he realy struggled to get involved.

Agree with most sentiments regarding the first quarter. Breeze was up and we had noone inside forward 50. Was very strange. I understand the tatic of opening up the forward line and running back into space, but quite often it was Minson/Redpath against 3 defenders. Made no sense.

I haven't seen the game, but at a guess the first quarter set up would have been to test our ability to get behind the defence like so many teams did to us last year (Fremantle at Docklands springs to mind). It's easy to go conventional and score with the breeze, but a side like ours needs to learn how to win possession and not be held up by congestion in the forward 50m like we have for the last two years when advantaged by the weather conditions.

If we left Redpath and Minson there to deal with it themselves, then either the small to medium sized players weren't fit enough to get back or they weren't concentrating. No coach is dumb enough to pull that, Bmac wasn't and I doubt Beveridge could be either.

ledge
15-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Two numbers that will make a mark on this club
4 and 35

whythelongface
15-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Poor first half that left me wondering how we could score in the 2nd half. Really thought that we would lose by 100 points at that stage. To their, and the coach's, credit we were able to turn the game around. It was a very pleasing 2nd half against a near full strength Melbourne side. It showed that not only do we have talented youngsters but there is some depth within the squad.

Notable performers - Jong, Bonts (2nd half), Grant (in patches), Boyd (2nd half when we to the middle), Honeychurch

Of the first gamers really impressed with Webb (good poise and a lovely kick), Daniel (some slick hands), no. 16 (not sure if it was McClean or Hamilton - found the ball and laid some good tackles - couple of poor disposals but did alright).

Also thought Hamling impressed in his 2nd game. Think he will be starting in the 1st round.

Cordy looked ok as well - think he took a couple of marks; was good on the ground and kicked a couple of goals.

GVGjr
15-03-2015, 09:35 AM
I think this game needs to be seen for what it is. A young team with a new coach adjusting to a totally foreign game plan, on a ground not conducive to good kicking.

Glad to see that Hamling showed something today.

I'm really worried about Talia now.

This season he will be given plenty of opportunities so show where he really is as a senior player. It will be interesting to see if the same people who criticised the club, and in particular the coach, for his non selection last year by saying "we needed to play the kids regardless of form" still have the patience to accept a couple of poor performances and to still see the bigger development picture.

Huge year for Talia and Roberts. They will get their chances and now need to answer the challenge.

bornadog
15-03-2015, 10:08 AM

I thought his tackling and chasing was very good.

GVGjr
15-03-2015, 10:17 AM
I thought his tackling and chasing was very good.

I noticed it a couple of times but I wouldn't have thought it was sufficient to earn a good wrap from the coach unless he was specifically told to focus on it.

boydogs
15-03-2015, 03:05 PM
We were terrible yesterday. Got opened up with ease and couldn't hit a target

A couple of stats - Melbourne had 132 uncontested marks to our 40, and all of their top 8 ball getters had disposal efficiency above 79% whilst the highest from our top 8 ball getters was 69%

Good - He's not the player we wanted to step up but credit to M Boyd for helping turn the game around. Honeychurch, Jong & Grant were competitive all game, and I thought Stringer did well to stay involved by going back at times to stem the flow and getting 5 clearances in the middle, our 2nd most behind Bonts

Bad - Losing the hitouts 43-23 with 3 rucks playing. Cordy was serviceable up forward but all 3 were well beaten in the ruck

Ugly - The guys who have been around for a few years now but were outshone by our draftees. Prudden 69% game time 3 disposals, Talia 75% game time 4 disposals, Redpath 75% game time 6 disposals, Pearce 69% game time 7 disposals

Before I Die
15-03-2015, 03:32 PM
A couple of stats - Melbourne had 132 uncontested marks to our 40, and all of their top 8 ball getters had disposal efficiency above 79% whilst the highest from our top 8 ball getters was 69%

We were well beaten in the first half, but stats can lie. That high uncontested marks figure and the high disposal efficiency was primarily because we flooded back and let Melbourne chip the ball around in the middle of the ground.

Remi Moses
15-03-2015, 04:18 PM

In the 5 minutes I watched thought the same thing.

Webby
15-03-2015, 05:43 PM
I don't think Roarke Smith came on before the last quarter. Might have missed it though

I'm certain he started on the field. Stood in the outer in the first quarter and saw quite a bit of him. He was either on an outer wing or a fwd flank. Might've spent a good stint on the pine in Q2 & 3 however. He looks really young.

Webby
15-03-2015, 05:51 PM
I'm looking forward to the replay to see how bad the first half was and why, and seeing the turnaround in the second half. I note Webby's comments about Grant don't really align with some other posters comments, what was the good side versus the bad side?.

I've racked my brain and scoured my posts and can't recall mentioning Grant. I recall him disappointing me in the first quarter, but being reasonable after that.

GVGjr
15-03-2015, 06:00 PM
I've racked my brain and scoured my posts and can't recall mentioning Grant. I recall him disappointing me in the first quarter, but being reasonable after that.

I think it's post 162 on this thread. Not sure if you were mentioning Grant in the Family Day game though

Webby
15-03-2015, 06:13 PM
I think it's post 162 on this thread. Not sure if you were mentioning Grant in the Family Day game though

Oh okay, nah that was Webb I was speaking about. He impressed me particularly in the last quarter of the Family Day intraclub.

I don't really bother with Grant comments anymore. Que sera sera with him.

boydogs
15-03-2015, 06:24 PM
We were well beaten in the first half, but stats can lie. That high uncontested marks figure and the high disposal efficiency was primarily because we flooded back and let Melbourne chip the ball around in the middle of the ground.

Yeah we did. It was the sort of thing you would see when trying to stop a side's momentum or hold on when you're 10 points up with 3 minutes to go. But we did it the entire first half, including the 1st quarter when we were kicking with the breeze. We gave them open space and time to spot up targets inside 50 from the middle of the ground and just handed it back to them when rebounding out of defense

Rocco Jones
15-03-2015, 06:57 PM
I am very confused by the negative comments from some of our fans/posters about the game. We had the following guys missing:
Murphy, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Crameri, Macrae, Hunter, Wood, Smith, Hrovat, Liberatore, Stevens, T.Boyd, Roughead, Biggs and Picken.

That is:
- Arguably our best 4-5 players out
- 15 guys in or at least very close to our best 22 out.

What did we expect with our VFL side + Morris, Bonts and Stringer?

Before I Die
15-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Yeah we did. It was the sort of thing you would see when trying to stop a side's momentum or hold on when you're 10 points up with 3 minutes to go. But we did it the entire first half, including the 1st quarter when we were kicking with the breeze. We gave them open space and time to spot up targets inside 50 from the middle of the ground and just handed it back to them when rebounding out of defense

It does make one wonder what the team instructions were. I think it is really important that these games are viewed as practice games, which I am sure is how Bevo would see them. It is nice to practice winning, but it is also probably too late to practice a flood for the first time when 4 points are up for grabs. I am only surmising, but that extreme flood with the wind had to be a coaching instruction. However, it is highly unlikely the situation at half time was the intended outcome. The ability to change game style after half time was pleasing and would give Bevo confidence that the players are responding to his messages.

G-Mo77
15-03-2015, 09:00 PM
I am very confused by the negative comments from some of our fans/posters about the game. We had the following guys missing:
Murphy, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Crameri, Macrae, Hunter, Wood, Smith, Hrovat, Liberatore, Stevens, T.Boyd, Roughead, Biggs and Picken.

That is:
- Arguably our best 4-5 players out
- 15 guys in or at least very close to our best 22 out.

What did we expect with our VFL side + Morris, Bonts and Stringer?

I expected to see a hungry young squad wanting to prove themselves. They didn't run out like I'd hoped or anyone else for that matter, if you were pleased with the first half of football regardless of who was out you're very easy pleased. The worst VFL side could have looked better. However they certainly finished off very well, looked hungry and determined it was pleasing to see the turn around and hopefully gives the players down the bottom of our list some confidence to take into the season.

always right
15-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Did the second half say anything about our fitness? We were running all over them.

GVGjr
15-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Did the second half say anything about our fitness? We were running all over them.

I mentioned it in a summary I posted. For a young side to finish strongly is a good indication that the fitness level of the club is good.

bulldogtragic
15-03-2015, 09:12 PM

If so, that's horrible for Melbourne. The second semi competitive game of the year and they couldn't play 4 quarters... Not sure it says anything for us.

G-Mo77
15-03-2015, 09:15 PM

Yeah I think so and IMO it was a big positive from yesterday. Against Richmond you saw that their inexperienced side ran out of puff and we were able to take over. It was the opposite yesterday.

LostDoggy
16-03-2015, 10:32 AM
I'm not the slightest bit concerned with the first half of that game. We really played a young side out there and I think it probably took a while for them to get used to the tempo etc. Plus as other have pointed out, we may have been practicing some flooding style techniques. Paul Roos did his usual effort and blamed it on Melbourne stopping without paying any credit to our guys. Teams don't just consciously take their "foot off" in my opinion.

stefoid
16-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Paper says we couldnt get our hands on the footy in the first half. "in ominous signs for a liber-less team' or something like that.

So is that the situation? We were continually in our defensive half simply because thats where the ball was?

Who was in the middle and getting beaten for contested ball? Bonts? Stringer? Jong? Mitch Wallis?

Sounds like Matty Boyd came in and won a few hard balls.

What do we think about a lack of competitive inside mids in this game? Is it telling, or due to team selection, or just random poor form?

Happy Days
16-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Paper says we couldnt get our hands on the footy in the first half. "in ominous signs for a liber-less team' or something like that.

So is that the situation? We were continually in our defensive half simply because thats where the ball was?

Who was in the middle and getting beaten for contested ball? Bonts? Stringer? Jong? Mitch Wallis?

What do we think about a lack of competitive inside mids in this game? Is it telling, or due to team selection, or just random poor form?

I think it was largely due to team selection; Melbourne's midfield was full strength, and actually isn't bad!

It would have been encouraging to see us with a little extra possession through the midfield, but I don't think you could call it disappointing. Bont, Jong, Stringer, Honeychurch, Prudden, Daniel, etc all had stretches through the centre, and showed a bit. What we can take away is that our midfield is in need of a lynch pin to replace Libba, and it looks like from the weekend that it will have to be Boyd.

This could all be moot when Macrae, Dahl, Smith and so on come back, but we can only go on what we've seen so far I guess.

LongWait
16-03-2015, 05:56 PM
If I was a Melbourne fan I would be very, very worried after that performance. Their virtually full strength side barely won against a team comprised in the majority by players who will line up for Footscray in round 1. Beveridge looked very satisfied with the hitout and I think so he should be.

Remi Moses
16-03-2015, 06:25 PM
There were a few overreactions to be honest.
Typical of a young side, as their form and effort fluctuates throughout a game !
We're going to get weeks we're looking a million bucks and then look like certain spooners.
Some better be braced for it .Luke B even raised that point in the family day interview with Kevin Hillier

Flamethrower
16-03-2015, 09:02 PM

Some journos seem to be comparing us without Libba to Chicago without Jordan or Edmonton without Gretzky.

Libba is a good player but he is hardly irreplaceable. It is the one area of the ground that the previous coach loaded up on.

josie
16-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Well said Remi and LongWait.

I was there with cheer squad and we were definitely practicing zonal defence in first half which while ugly had Mlb kicking sideways etc. , espec. as we were not winning centre clearances.

I missed last quarter however watched replay on dogs website and I was absolutely stoked with our first year players - all of them for most of match.

I was watching Caleb through binoculars in first 3 quarters and some of his handpasses in close were breathtakingly good - reminiscent of Scott West. I think he could be something special for us.

One nice mark & one almost mark from Roarke Smith was exciting.

Webb looked really comfortable.

McLean looked good too.

Hamilton was in right spots even though he made a few muff ups, and I think he will be ok too.

Kelly did not set world aflame but was serviceable.

Boyd confirmed how important it was to keep him around - his leadership was first class.

I loved Hamling's game and though Honeychurch was best over 4 quarters. Jong was spritely. I wish JJ could kick accurately....

Bonti - well he is just a gun.

Grant still a question mark - although did some nice things, how he missed that set shot is beyond belief.

I think supporters have been a bit rough on Redpath. OK he did not kick any however he did some ok things incl. one ruck rover contest in last qtr which resulted in goal. I really hope he makes it as I love his attitude to a contest.

Selection dilemma for Bevo with Cordy, Big Will and Campbell. Glad it is not me making decision. I do think all Cordy & Campbell will get a really good run at it this year so we can make some long term decisions.

Webby
16-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Some journos seem to be comparing us without Libba to Chicago without Jordan or Edmonton without Gretzky.

Ha the Edmonton line is a funny one to see on WOOF. FWIW, Edmonton ran the show in the NHL at a point where Jim Edmond was Dogs captain. As a novice to ice hockey, I adopted them as my team on the back of that tenuous link. They wore red, white and blue, too - or so I thought. I later realised it was blue, white and orange. Nonetheless, Edmonton did win a Stanley Cup post-Gretzky!

I think losing Libba this year is ten times better than losing him in a year where we're actually contending. If he does one ACL in his career, this is the year to do it... A perverse positive I can draw!

Webby
16-03-2015, 11:17 PM
I've gotta say, I made a comment about Roarke Smith looking a bit raw to me on Saturday. However this was a case of mistaken identity. I had him and Bailey Dale mixed up.

Bailey Dale will need a year of developer, but Roarke Smith actually showed a lot of good signs. He, Webb and Daniel might actually chalk up a bit of senior footy this year.

Melbourne really did turn a good day for them into a bit of a stinker. Our badly depleted side ran their near full strength side to just over a kick. There was also a semblance of an attractive, flowing game plan coming through in the second half. Very pleasing signs.

I was filthy at half time - so quite the turnaround!

Twodogs
17-03-2015, 12:20 AM
I just watched the last quarter online. I really like the look of Rourke Smith. Very clean with his hands and good overhead. Good size too.

Some of Caleb Daniels handballing was sensational.

Greystache
17-03-2015, 01:53 AM
I just watched the last quarter online. I really like the look of Rourke Smith. Very clean with his hands and good overhead. Good size too.

It's a bit terrifying that our list is so small that a player well under 6 feet now actually looks a good size.

Twodogs
17-03-2015, 04:25 AM
It's a bit terrifying that our list is so small that a player well under 6 feet now actually looks a good size.

And a first year draftee at that.

Remi Moses
17-03-2015, 05:40 AM

About the 5 or so minutes I saw Caleb baulked and showed poise beyond his years.
Regardless of his size having poise and smarts in a contest is a big big plus in today's helter skelter

bornadog
17-03-2015, 09:40 AM

I think the current team is one of the tallest Bulldog teams I have seen for a very long time.

jazzadogs
17-03-2015, 12:15 PM
And a first year draftee at that.

I actually think it's very impressive that, whatever the circumstances, we felt comfortable playing all of our draftees in an AFL level match after one pre-season. I feel like they have all bulked up to some degree in the past few months, and none of them looked terribly out of place.

A tick to recruiting, conditioning and development coaches.

1eyedog
17-03-2015, 01:36 PM
I think the current team is one of the tallest Bulldog teams I have seen for a very long time.

Agreed, on the other end of the spectrum Campbell, Cordy and Minson all pushing for a place and Hamling, Roberts, Redpath, Boyd and Talia all 194cm or taller and close to senior football. Then there's Roughie. We don't have a small list, just a few small players.

bornadog
17-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Agreed, on the other end of the spectrum Campbell, Cordy and Minson all pushing for a place and Hamling, Roberts, Redpath, Boyd and Talia all 194cm or taller and close to senior football. Then there's Roughie. We don't have a small list, just a few small players.

Yes, with Campbell, Roughie, Cordy, Boyd all over 200, plus plenty of players in the 190 plus category. As I said, can't remember a Bulldog team with so many tall players.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Yes, with Campbell, Roughie, Cordy, Boyd all over 200, plus plenty of players in the 190 plus category. As I said, can't remember a Bulldog team with so many tall players.

I think a year we had Bandy and Street, we were the sneaky tallest in the comp.

Twodogs
17-03-2015, 04:55 PM

Maybe back in the day, one year when we had Dempsey, Round, Sandilands, Quinlan, Baker, Salmon, Hampshire and a few more talls all on the list before most of them left for other clubs. Maybe '73 or '74, but not since then. 1985 we had a number of talls on the list too.

Webby
17-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Maybe back in the day, one year when we had Dempsey, Round, Sandilands, Quinlan, Baker, Salmon, Hampshire and a few more talls all on the list before most of them left for other clubs. Maybe '73 or '74, but not since then. 1985 we had a number of talls on the list too.

Our reserves were pretty tall circa 1985! Richard Cousins, Emmett Dunne, Alistair Ford etc from memory. I've been guilty of being tall obsessed of late, but to be honest, there's so little contested marking nowadays that by far the biggest criterion is the ability to get the thing and use it properly - as well as running, tackling and positional nous.

I had the shits on draft night when I saw our draftees' heights. However, I've got to hand it to Dalrymple, from what I've seen over the past three weeks, the vast majority of our draftees (and at least one rookie lister) can definitely play.

I'm feeling better and better about the coming years.

Sedat
17-03-2015, 05:39 PM
I think a year we had Bandy and Street, we were the sneaky tallest in the comp.
That reminds me of the oft-used quote, a shit tall is still shit ;)

Sedat
17-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Our reserves were pretty tall circa 1985! Richard Cousins, Emmett Dunne, Alistair Ford etc from memory.
Ah, how quickly we all forget Brenton Vilcens :D

Dry Rot
17-03-2015, 11:55 PM

About the 5 or so minutes I saw Caleb baulked and showed poise beyond his years.
Regardless of his size having poise and smarts in a contest is a big big plus in today's helter skelter

Agreed. He was my highlight from watching the last 2 quarters.

F'scary
18-03-2015, 07:29 PM

I think that, like the venerable Mullet haircut that Dougie sported in the 80's, we are developing a Bi-Level team - that is a team with an outrageous though perfectly balanced combination of the long with the short.