PDA

View Full Version : Season Launch 2015 - 24th March

bornadog
11-03-2015, 05:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_yy4kAU0AAYxN7.jpg:large

bornadog
11-03-2015, 05:53 PM
I will be there again it is always a great night.

Ozza
12-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Not sure why the club is keeping it such a secret!!

No mention of it on the app (where I and I would guess many would get Bulldog info daily), and eventually found it on the webpage in the calendar section...but only because you posted it here BAD.

bornadog
23-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Anyone else going tomorrow night?

Bulldog Joe
23-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately, I am unable to attend.
It is generally a good event.

bornadog
24-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Great night, Liam Picken sat next to me and had a quick chat to Bonti and a Bevo
Will report more later

bornadog
25-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Western Bulldogs finally put a shocking summer to bed (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/western-bulldogs-finally-put-a-shocking-summer-to-bed-20150324-1m6sh7.html)

When the Bulldogs last gathered in Crown's Palladium Room, to award the Charles Sutton Medal in September, president Peter Gordon implored all to "embrace the struggle". Not even the biggest doomsayer among the faithful could have imagined what lay ahead.

The Dogs finally put an off-season of unfathomable upheaval behind them on Tuesday night when Gordon launched the 2015 campaign before an audience that needed little encouragement to focus on the positives evident in last Saturday night's bright showing against Collingwood, and move on from the wreckage of the past six months.

Tuesday night's upbeat occasion only underscored the travails of summer. The long-serving Gordon aside, everywhere there was evidence of change. There was no welcome for a chief executive because the club is yet to replace Simon Garlick, who resigned in January after five years in the job.

Tom Liberatore had been a shy, almost embarrassed recipient of the best and fairest award six months ago. His presence in the room on Tuesday was a morbid reminder that the Dogs' first steps down a hard road will be taken without their most important player, who will miss the season after a knee injury suffered in the first practice game.

Bob Murphy took the stage as the new captain, not to accept the coach's award, as he had last September, from a mentor who five weeks later was forced out the door. Way back then, Brendan McCartney had introduced him as a player with "a deep, deep love of his teammates, and an even greater love of his club".

The off-season was further test of the 32-year-old's commitment. Ryan Griffen's shock departure has at least ensured the Dogs now have a leader who embraces the job wholeheartedly and is comfortable with its myriad demands. "Leading the boys these past few months has been an absolute joy," Murphy said. "The boys and I just want to make our supporters proud."

Murphy spoke on SEN radio on Tuesday of the sense of calm Luke Beveridge has brought to Whitten Oval, the subtle changes he has made in a mechanical and tactical sense, but also the cultural and spiritual shift the soulful skipper has noted since the new coach's arrival.

Beveridge was the other notable newbie in the room on Tuesday night, and made it clear his enthusiasm for his first head coaching gig hasn't been diminished by the size of its attendant challenge.

At September's season-ending function Gordon had implored his club to try harder and think smarter, so that 2015 could "be a year unlike any other". After the departures of McCartney, Griffen, Adam Cooney, Shaun Higgins and Liam Jones, among others, and the arrival of multimillion-dollar saviour Tom Boyd, that could indisputably be said of the off-season.

Tuesday put a brave face on the task of making similar strides when the season proper begins.

FrediKanoute
25-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Any Woofer reports?

bornadog
25-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Any Woofer reports?

I will try and get one up tomorrow.

comrade
25-03-2015, 08:57 AM
You know the Carlton hype machine is in full swing when Liam Jones' name is included with the likes of Griffen, Cooney & McCartney as notable departures.

I feel sorry for Tutty!

bornadog
25-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Season Launch.

* Evening started with PG's speech. He mainly talked about staying positive and not to be negative. He said we must move away from negative talk, particularly this pre-season and focus on positives. He his sick of(and so are we all) reading in the media including social media, about the former coach, players, CEO, etc and wants everyone to talk about the positives. Positives being the exciting young players, the continual redevelopment of the WO and the success of the VFL side. He believes membership is growing and can see us up around the 40,000 mark.

* PG called up Alan Johnstone our number one ticket holder who just purchased 1000 memberships to go to the under privileged and who can't afford a membership.

* Players were introduced one by one from lowest jumper number through to Cordy with 49.

* Some players were stopped and briefly interviewed such as Murphy, Boyd, Jong, Biggs and a few others.

* Coach made a speech and seemed less nervous than when I saw him last year at the Xmas Function. The one thing I can remember is he said this group will forge a new style of play as they develop into a unit.

I sat next to Liam Picken, which was great as in previous years I was with a first year player.

* Liam is energised about the new coach and feels the style of play he is implementing suits him.

* Didn't bag the old coach at all.

* Said the coach is expecting players to be able to play in two or three positions.

* We asked him lots of questions about training, diet his old man etc. very nice bloke. Asked him what will he do after footy. He has a degree in International Business and a Masters in Applied Finance, so he is smarter than you may think.

* My cousin's wife called over Bonti and we took a photo. My cousin said he wanted a photo with the future Brownlow medallist. Bonti said we have gone a little early for that. :)

Other Observations

* I thought I heard PG mention Rob Stary is now a Board member - not confirmed but would make a great addition.

* Libba wasn't presented with jumper - understandably.

* Bevo walked past so I nabbed him and asked him if he can speak Greek (His Grandfather was from the Island of Samos)
He said no but does remember his Grand father spoke little English.

Sorry, can't remember much more and no real news or snippets there. I really enjoyed the evening and for those that have never been, you should try and get along next year.

I walked out of the room pumped for the season and thinking we are going to be playing finals. :D

whythelongface
25-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the write up BAD. Sounds like a great evening was had.

It is always interesting to read what footballers do away from their football lives. When we do it is more often than not about the 'not so good' things that they do, thus it is great to hear that Picken has a double degree and has thought about his future after his football career is over. He is obviously a determined young man.

Also great to read about the supporter who has given 1000 memberships to under priviliged children. Fantastic.

Ozza
25-03-2015, 01:37 PM
I don't know anything about Alan Johnstone - what is his background/business?

Good on him by the way! 1000 memberships! That's a worthwhile No1 ticket holder!

Greystache
25-03-2015, 01:38 PM
I don't know anything about Alan Johnstone - what is his background/business?

Good on him by the way! 1000 memberships! That's a worthwhile No1 ticket holder!

Which was incidentally matched El Presidente PG.

susie bulldog
25-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Alan has previously served on the board of the WB. He is a major contributor to our Club. His background in business was the motor car industry and I might add a very successful business. His whole family are WB supporters. Alan loves our Club. He is a good person and we are very fortunate to have him at the WB.

westdog54
25-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the report BAD.

I feel better and better about this season every day.

Bonti seems like a real Gentleman and very level headed. Will be one of the best things to ever happen to the club.

I have my opinions about Rob Stary which I won't share on the forum.

Eastdog
26-03-2015, 08:32 PM
I loved Peter Gordon speech. Made me feel proud to be apart of our great club.

Remi Moses
26-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Loved how Luke said he was" pissed off" with continual game style comparisons .