PDA

View Full Version : Who will Kick our Goals

bornadog
12-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-12/forward-thinking-part-two)

Tom Boyd:The big-money recruit hasn't set the world on fire in the first few competitive hit-outs, but the club is happy with his progress. Will spend time in ruck when not forming a dangerous forward set up with Stewart Crameri and Jake Stringer.

Stewart Crameri: Mystery stills surrounds when the former Bomber will play next due to a provisional suspension from the supplements saga. Didn’t play in the club’s intra-club hit-out on the weekend just gone, but he’s had a solid pre-season. A fit forward line of Crameri, Tom Boyd and Jake Stringer will certainly have Dogs’ fans excited.

Bailey Dale: Drafted to help the Dogs add more the run and carry to their game, the lightly-built youngster has impressed during his first pre season. The 18-year-old, who also has the ability to win his own ball, is likely to spend much of 2015 with Footscray in the VFL.

Caleb Daniel: He may be the competition’s smallest player at 167cm, but that hasn't stopped Daniel being the most impressive of the Dogs' draftees so far. Played good senior footy in the SANFL last year, so an early season debut isn't out of the question.

Tory Dickson: The 27-year-old has been in good pre-season form after winning a new two-year deal late last year. Strong overhead and deadly around goals, he should benefit from the Dogs' new attacking game plan.

Jarrad Grant: 2015 looms as a make or break year for the 2007 top five draft pick, with Grant coming out of contract at season's end. The Dogs' new gameplan of fast ball movement should help his cause.

Lachie Hunter: Looks set to cement himself as a best-22 player playing as a high half-forward. Not the quickest going around, but the 20-year-old has elite agility and a nose for a goal. Has inherited the famous number seven guernsey worn by Doug Hawkins and Scott West.

Toby McLean: The Dogs' top draft pick in 2014 looks set to spend most of this season with Footscray in the VFL while he prepares his body for the rigors of AFL football. A natural player with a knack of taking hangers.

Liam Picken: Has been recast as a defensive forward under new coach Luke Beveridge and if his pre season form is anything to go by, he'll be a success in the role. The 28-year-old is a relentless competitor who sacrifices his own game for the betterment of the team.

Jack Redpath: The man-mountain forward has been the surprise packet of the Dogs' pre season, outshining Tom Boyd with his strong marking and aggression. The former rookie looks destined to play round one.

Jake Stringer: The 20-year-old is having a massive pre-season and this has shown in several of the Bulldogs' match simulation sessions. More midfield time beckons after he dropped weight, but expect Stringer to play predominately forward in 2015. - Ryan Davidson

Anyone else who ,may surprise?

bornadog
12-03-2015, 11:18 AM
If the fate of Crameri can be sorted out, I think he will have a big year.

Cyberdoggie
12-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Hunter not the quickest going around?.....

Not sure about that, I would of thought he would be one of the quickest over 20 metres, that in itself would
mean he is no slouch.

Mofra
12-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Expecting Bonti, Honeychurch and Stevens to rotate forward during the year.

G-Mo77
12-03-2015, 12:56 PM
I've been very critical of what we done or haven't done to our backline this year. It's the opposite at the opposite end of the ground, that's one area that looks really solid on paper.

Dahlhaus will bob up and kick a few there and the guys as Mofra suggested.

Ozza
13-03-2015, 12:12 PM
With the possibility looming that Boyd and Redpath could potentially play in the same forward line early in the year - I am hoping that this isn't counter-productive in terms of Stringer getting space to be one on one with his man. Hopefully the forward line works well as a collective....and Jake kicks 50+ goals.

Axe Man
13-03-2015, 01:00 PM
While it would be nice to have someone kick +50 goals for the season I don't think it's imperative at the moment. What I would really like to see is more players kicking +20 goals. Last year we only had Crameri and Stringer get there. This season it would be great if we could get 5 or 6 players to do it. Dahlhaus, Redpath, Boyd and Bonti should all be capable of joining Crameri and Stringer +20 club if they play the majority of games.

1eyedog
13-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Does anyone see a place for Campbell in our new look forward line?

Mofra
13-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Does anyone see a place for Campbell in our new look forward line?
Not if Boyd & Redpath play, no.
Throw in Stringer & Crameri and suddenly you have room for only one resting mid and one small - and that's if Dickson & Grant don't play.
Bonti won't play 100% midfield either so he will spend plenty of time forward.

whythelongface
13-03-2015, 02:56 PM
I've been very critical of what we done or haven't done to our backline this year. It's the opposite at the opposite end of the ground, that's one area that looks really solid on paper.

Dahlhaus will bob up and kick a few there and the guys as Mofra suggested.

Agree. Not only does it look solid but there is some serious potential within this forward line that could see it develop into the most potent forward line in the comp within the next couple of years. Picken and Dickson are our oldest forwards competing for a spot and they are 28 and 27 respectively.

In answer to the OP - Dahlhaus, Bonts and Stevens are the likely others within the team that will nab their fair share of goals. If we can get half a dozen players who can kick between 10-20 goals and a couple who can kick 30 plus we should be very competitive for most of the year.

Axe Man
13-03-2015, 03:32 PM
If we can get half a dozen players who can kick between 10-20 goals and a couple who can kick 30 plus we should be very competitive for most of the year.

I think that is aiming a little low. In 2014 we had Crameri with 37, Stringer with 26 and another 8 players with 10-20 goals (although 5 of them are no longer with us!). I hope we can improve on that with some more players in the +20 range.

1eyedog
13-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Not if Boyd & Redpath play, no.
Throw in Stringer & Crameri and suddenly you have room for only one resting mid and one small - and that's if Dickson & Grant don't play.
Bonti won't play 100% midfield either so he will spend plenty of time forward.

My thoughts too so he needs to knock Will off as number 1 ruck. Does he have the fitness to play 100% ruck? I'm not sure we would / need to play both Will and Campbell. At years end other teams will come at them if one of them isn't getting game time.

F'scary
13-03-2015, 08:02 PM
I'll go with the following prediction

Stringer: 50 goals - based on form from Round 15 onwards when he came back into the side after looking a bit lost at the start of the season. 9 games in a row, 22 goals = 2.3 avg.

boydogs
13-03-2015, 11:08 PM

Stringer: 50 goals - based on form from Round 15 onwards when he came back into the side after looking a bit lost at the start of the season. 9 games in a row, 22 goals = 2.3 avg.

That was with Jones as our lone key forward. Boyd & Redpath will be used as targets which will help Stringer play on a lesser opponent but also reduce his opportunities. I'll say 40 goals

Twodogs
14-03-2015, 03:02 AM
That was with Jones as our lone key forward. Boyd & Redpath will be used as targets which will help Stringer play on a lesser opponent but also reduce his opportunities. I'll say 40 goals

He makes opportunities out of nothing though.

boydogs
14-03-2015, 11:48 AM
He makes opportunities out of nothing though.

This is true. How many goals do you think he will kick?

F'scary
14-03-2015, 02:37 PM

I don't know that is an argument for him kicking less. I read what you wrote and thought, maybe he will kick 60 then.

LongWait
14-03-2015, 03:12 PM

I really hope you are right, but 50 goals in a season from a non-key position forward is absolutely elite. I'm not sure Stringer is there just yet. 30 to 40 would be a fantastic return from Jake in my view.

Twodogs
14-03-2015, 04:44 PM
This is true. How many goals do you think he will kick?

I'd like to think 40+ in a best case. If we leave him to develop and learn his forward craft the whole year before he goes into the midfield.

I hope the way we bring the ball in to the forward will be a bit more streamlined than the stop, start, sideways method we've employed over the last couple of years. With a couple of targets to aim at the ball will be sent in a lot more directly to those targets. Stringer can clean up the spills at ground level or impact the marking contests.

I'm hoping that he might get more opportunities in the forward line this year than he did last year.

boydogs
14-03-2015, 04:44 PM
I don't know that is an argument for him kicking less. I read what you wrote and thought, maybe he will kick 60 then.

If Boyd and Redpath are getting games and we finish lower than last year as many are predicting then I don't see how he can kick more goals than last year

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Dickson 7
Crameri 7
Stringer 6
(Boyd 4)

Been a while since we've had bags this big from several players in a season.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2015, 01:41 PM
99 goals to Dicko, Jakey & Crammers already. Boyd with 17 already in his development.

When Boyd develops and crumbers work out how we play even more so, we've got to be the best forward line.

Twodogs
09-08-2015, 02:27 PM
99 goals to Dicko, Jakey & Crammers already. Boyd with 17 already in his development.

When Boyd develops and crumbers work out how we play even more so, we've got to be the best forward line.

Especially with Daniel and Hamilton prowling around.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Especially with Daniel and Hamilton prowling around.

And two rising star nomination kids in Honey & Hrovat. Resting rucks too. Bongs & Grant floating around. Resting mids. Imagine if we could spare Bob in the forward fifty too. Wowsers.

LostDoggy
09-08-2015, 02:48 PM
I don't think we want Bongs floating around the forward line :)

bulldogtragic
09-08-2015, 02:51 PM
I don't think we want Bongs floating around the forward line :)

It worked for Cheech & Chong. :D

Bloody auto spell correct/incorrect.