PDA

View Full Version : Snippet

wimberga
16-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Hey all,

Just thought I would pass on a few snippets I gathered whilst out for dinner last week with my girlfriend. I'm not sure how valuable this is but wanted to share in any case.

Last Thursday, we decided to eat some pasta down at Amiconi's in North Melbourne. The restaurant is quite small and was reasonably busy, so it was just our luck when Joel Corey and Bontempelli walked in and were seated on the table directly beside us.

My girlfriend wasn't very happy that I wanted her to be quiet so I could listen in on there conversation, but she realised this was pretty cool for me. Below is a bit of a snapshot of what I heard:

- Joel is really enjoying his new role this year and said how it was a different kind of challenge coming to training every day with more responsibility. He said some guys like Monty are really great at just showing up determined and ready every single session whilst other guys like Kingy can be a bit more up and down.

- Bontempelli is wanting to take on more of a leadership role moving forward. I couldn't quite catch everything that was said but they were talking about the current leadership group. Bonts specifically mentioned Roughy being really good in there but he had the benefit of being a bit older than some of the others on the list.

- They spent a long time talking about leadership. Joel was talking quite a bit about when he first joined the leadership group in 2006, and his first action was to make a statement with the whole Stevie J event. He mentioned that Stevie had gone out, gotten incredibly drunk and then I think slept on a couch in some guys backyard. when the guy saw stevie on the couch, he yelled out and called the police and stevie did a runner. Stevie J told the geelong leadership group that he was a friend, but that turned out not to be the case. They banned him for 6 weeks, forced him to get a job and banished him to the VFL. He said that was defining moment for Stevie and he worked a lot harder. He was also able to spend the entire post-GF week getting smashed, to which they both laughed.

- Joel discussed quite a bit more about leadership in general saying how we all want the best players to be the best leaders but it is very rarely the case. He spoke about there being different kinds of leadership and sometimes just being a great player is enough and there is no need to try and be something you are not. (perhaps lesson from Griffen saga).

Overall, it was just awesome hearing these guys chat and I left dinner thinking Joel is an excellent person to have at our footy club and bontempelli has a great head on his shoulders.

azabob
16-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Cool story Hansel.

Thanks for posting.

Does Bontempelli seem a relaxed or intense type of guy?

bornadog
16-03-2015, 02:45 PM
More importantly, is your girlfriend still talking to you. :D

Mofra
16-03-2015, 03:00 PM
We have very different priorities sometimes BAD

;)

Mofra
16-03-2015, 03:01 PM
We have very different priorities sometimes BAD

;)

F'scary
16-03-2015, 03:08 PM
This is why I come to WOOF! Great OP, Wimberga.

bornadog
16-03-2015, 03:13 PM
It's great to see Bonti spending so much time with Corey. Corey was an A grade midfielder and passing on his knowledge will make a huge difference to Bonti. I bought some lunch recently at Barkers Cafe and saw them there eating lunch together, but didn't hear what they were talking about.

wimberga
16-03-2015, 03:27 PM

The answer is yes - luckily she loves the pasta at amiconi's so was delighted when I suggested we go there a lot more often.

Cool story Hansel.

Thanks for posting.

Does Bontempelli seem a relaxed or intense type of guy?

Good question - he actually seemed quite relaxed. Was dressed pretty casual, ordered a highly tailored item off the menu (not sure what but spent a long time talking to the waiter about making some changes), and speaks in a very soft manner, not dissimilar to a Jack Macrae.

I got a sense that he has a lot of respect for Joel and was really absorbing everything Joel offered.

azabob
16-03-2015, 03:29 PM
The answer is yes - luckily she loves the pasta at amiconi's so was delighted when I suggested we go there a lot more often.

Good question - he actually seemed quite relaxed. Was dressed pretty casual, ordered a highly tailored item off the menu (not sure what but spent a long time talking to the waiter about making some changes), and speaks in a very soft manner, not dissimilar to a Jack Macrae.

I got a sense that he has a lot of respect for Joel and was really absorbing everything Joel offered.

Thanks for that. He seems that way when you hear him in the media. Appears as though he has a good head on his shoulders.

Twodogs
16-03-2015, 03:29 PM
It's great to see Bonti spending so much time with Corey. Corey was an A grade midfielder and passing on his knowledge will make a huge difference to Bonti. I bought some lunch recently at Barkers Cafe and saw them there eating lunch together, but didn't hear what they were talking about.

Sit closer next time.

Thanks for that Wimberga.

See, he sat close enough.

wimberga
16-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Sit closer next time.

Thanks for that Wimberga.

See, he sat close enough.

The secret to not making it too awkward is pretending you are getting the waiters attention for a water refill, to ask for some parmesan, to turn the A/C down etc. leaves plenty of room for silence without seeming like a weird fan boy making these guys feel awkward.

And yeah I certainly agree- there was an article recently where Bont's mentioned Corey being a great influence on him. Although this was my only ever encounter with Corey - I am very glad he is at the club and taking an active mentoring role with our pups.

Mofra
16-03-2015, 04:56 PM
It's great to see Bonti spending so much time with Corey. Corey was an A grade midfielder and passing on his knowledge will make a huge difference to Bonti.
Corey was also a much taller mid than most going around at the time so it's a good fit

westdog54
16-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Bonti mentioned once that he used to love Christmas Day because it meant he got to see his cousin (Nick Dal Santo) and just bombard him with questions about being an AFL footballer.

Seems a very driven young man.

bulldogtragic
16-03-2015, 09:24 PM
If they are this close, best sign Corey for 15 years too.

azabob
16-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Bonti mentioned once that he used to love Christmas Day because it meant he got to see his cousin (Nick Dal Santo) and just bombard him with questions about being an AFL footballer.

Seems a very driven young man.

Wonder if he was better than Dal Santo back then?!?

Twodogs
16-03-2015, 11:14 PM
Wonder if he was better than Dal Santo back then?!?

Because he is now! :)

The bulldog tragician
16-03-2015, 11:35 PM
What an awesome post! That gives me hope that, apart from being an on field legend in the making, Bonti might be a linchpin in a new successful era of leadership at our club. Everything you hear from and about this kid is just perfect.

bornadog
16-03-2015, 11:51 PM
He will win a Brownlow one day, this kid is a star already. Best first year kid I have seen since Chris Grant.

The bulldog tragician
17-03-2015, 12:07 AM
He will win a Brownlow one day, this kid is a star already. Best first year kid I have seen since Chris Grant.

After he kicked THAT goal, I wrote:

I’m certainly not one to heap undue pressure on an 18-year-old kid, in only his eighth game and his first season.
But when future Bulldog premiership captain, Brownlow medallist and All-Australian Marcus Bontempelli kicked the 2014 goal of the year, I knew I had my unforgettable gem for not just the match but the year.

With each game this looks less and less tongue in cheek!

LostDoggy
17-03-2015, 12:11 AM
After he kicked THAT goal, I wrote:

I’m certainly not one to heap undue pressure on an 18-year-old kid, in only his eighth game and his first season.
But when future Bulldog premiership captain, Brownlow medallist and All-Australian Marcus Bontempelli kicked the 2014 goal of the year, I knew I had my unforgettable gem for not just the match but the year.

With each game this looks less and less tongue in cheek!

Alas the premonition can never be completely fulfilled, damn you Matt White!

ratsmac
17-03-2015, 07:44 AM
I think Bonti's goal was everyone's favourite but because of the way the voting system worked the team with more supporters wins. Bont got stitched in the rising star and goal of the year. Slightly biased but there is truth to it.

Very happy with Bonti leaching off of Joel Corey. He was an honest and fine footballer. I used to admire the way he went about it

KT31
19-03-2015, 11:53 PM
I think Bonti's goal was everyone's favourite but because of the way the voting system worked the team with more supporters wins. Bont got stitched in the rising star and goal of the year. Slightly biased but there is truth to it.

Very happy with Bonti leaching off of Joel Corey. He was an honest and fine footballer. I used to admire the way he went about it
I agree with you rats , but really using "leaching" couldn't you have come up with a better adjective ?;)

1eyedog
20-03-2015, 12:21 AM
I agree with you rats , but really using "leaching" couldn't you have come up with a better adjective ?;)

Yeah he's after information not ciggies.

Twodogs
20-03-2015, 07:53 AM

Or bandwith.

Mofra
20-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Bonti's was probably the best goal I've seen in the AFL. Akers double in the pocket was amazing, but take into account the fact he applied defensive pressure first, stripped the hottest Free Agent in the AFL at the time of the ball (twice) and evaded three players to kick the winning goal from deep in the pocket without getting a good look at the goals - and all a short time after kicking the goal that leveled the scores in the first place - it really has to be the best most of us have seen.

Happy Days
20-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Another snippet to report; at a work drinks at the smith on high street, Peter Gordon and Gil McLaughlin having a one on one.

ledge
20-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Sit closer

Twodogs
20-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Sit closer

Much closer.

Twodogs
20-03-2015, 08:02 PM
And take notes.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Let us know if it ends with a drink being thrown in the face of the other.

Happy Days
20-03-2015, 08:30 PM
PG is long gone but I can confirm that Gil is SUPER pissed

bulldogtragic
20-03-2015, 08:33 PM

Get him to sign an equalisation document. Or at least get it on camera!! :)

Happy Days
20-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Get him to sign an equalisation document. Or at least get it on camera!! :)

I've got pics pm me

bulldogtragic
20-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I've got pics pm me

That's an offer I can't refuse. Done.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2015, 09:56 PM
I've got pics pm me

Wow. Words can't describe them. Just wow. :)

LostDoggy
20-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Haha, I live across the road from The Smith now, is he still there? Is it worth popping over for a look?

Twodogs
20-03-2015, 10:01 PM

Pump him for information.

Maddog37
20-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Funny thread! A touch sad, but still funny.��

ledge
20-03-2015, 10:38 PM
PG might have used some of his lawyer nous to piss him off

hujsh
21-03-2015, 12:56 PM
i've got pics pm me

share share share!

wimberga
27-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Another snippet to report; at a work drinks at the smith on high street, Peter Gordon and Gil McLaughlin having a one on one.

Another snippet - was having breakfast at DOC on Lygon st about 8am this morning and had Gil McLachlan and Mick Malthouse jog past.

They were both wearing running gear and holding some kind of map looking around - almost as if they were doing some weird coaches/head office orienteering challenge or something.

Maddog37
27-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Bizarre!

Twodogs
27-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Another snippet - was having breakfast at DOC on Lygon st about 8am this morning and had Gil McLachlan and Mick Malthouse jog past.

They were both wearing running gear and holding some kind of map looking around - almost as if they were doing some weird coaches/head office orienteering challenge or something.

Team bonding exercise.

ratsmac
28-03-2015, 12:08 AM

Or bandwith.

Hahaha, I just re-read my post and thought, gee I used the wrong word there, and then I read your responses. Ciggies!! Gold Jerry, gold!

jeemak
28-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Kurt Snippet thread delivers.

Very cosmo of Happy Days to be living it up at one of the most overrated dining haunts on the fancy side of the River too.

bornadog
28-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Kurt Snippet thread delivers.

Very cosmo of Happy Days to be living it up at one of the most overrated dining haunts on the fancy side of the River too.

You don't like the food there? I have only been once, even though I live up the street further east. It was ok but nothing to rave about either.

jeemak
28-03-2015, 01:05 AM
You don't like the food there? I have only been once, even though I live up the street further east. It was ok but nothing to rave about either.

The food was OK and the service was pretty good when I went there a couple of years ago BAD, but I found the noise in the rear end of the venue way over the top. I think it was at a time of my life when I still cared about other people's image and their behaviour (the way they carry themselves etc.) and this has had a negative carry over affecting my comments now. I find I struggle with that type of thing any time I go out in South Yarra/Prahran etc.

Back on topic, near where I work on Footscray Road there's a place called the Milking Station on the north edge of Yarraville. I don't go there often, but my colleagues do and they tell me there's always Western Bulldogs people there. In the four or five times I've been there for any reasonable amount of time I've seen two younger analyst or medico types there talking shop in WB kit. At one point they were on the table next to me and I nearly asked them to stop talking about the club in the manner they were. If I'm not mistaken Ash Hansen was the topic of conversation, and while they weren't being negative towards him they were probably talking a little more out of school than they needed to be about the onerous demands placed on them.

I also saw Brendan McCartney at the Black Caviar racing day a month or so ago. He was right up in my grill but I decided to let him go. He seemed happy enough and probably didn't need anyone busting his balls about his lost job and revised $200k pay packet.

Remi Moses
28-03-2015, 01:19 AM
Had to double take at Barkers cafe last Wednesday . Nafan Brown was in the house

Twodogs
28-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Had to double take at Barkers cafe last Wednesday . Nafan Brown was in the house

I heard him on Trade Radio saying that he realised what a mistake he'd made when he saw the boys running out to play in those prelims and that he still considered himself a bulldog first and foremost.

Dancin' Douggy
28-03-2015, 04:48 PM
I heard him on Trade Radio saying that he realised what a mistake he'd made when he saw the boys running out to play in those prelims and that he still considered himself a bulldog first and foremost.

Wow. I never heard that. That's pretty big.

Topdog
28-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Did you mean drunk or pissed off?

The Underdog
28-03-2015, 06:08 PM

If I was related to Hamish, I'd be both

Happy Days
28-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Definitely drunk. Shirt untucked, top 3 buttons undone, double parked. Was glorious.

Jeemak, if I had to pay for the privilege there is no chance I would have stepped foot inside the place.

1eyedog
28-03-2015, 07:15 PM

Deserves what he got.

Twodogs
28-03-2015, 08:20 PM

I think its still available via podcast and sound cloud. He said it the day that the Boyd signing was announced.

He said that he was really jealous watching and that he thought he might have made a difference in 2009.

westdog54
28-03-2015, 08:38 PM
I think its still available via podcast and sound cloud. He said it the day that the Boyd signing was announced.

He said that he was really jealous watching and that he thought he might have made a difference in 2009.

The club would have looked very very different, that's for sure.

No Rawlings, Street or Koops Coming to the club.

Twodogs
29-03-2015, 03:01 AM
The club would have looked very very different, that's for sure.

No Rawlings, Street or Koops Coming to the club.

Yep. We pissed the draft picks we got for him against the wall so we would have been better off keeping him.

Guido
01-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Back on topic, near where I work on Footscray Road there's a place called the Milking Station on the north edge of Yarraville.
As someone who lives in that beautiful pocket of the world, in my (piss poor) 12th man/Bill Lawry voice:

"North edge of Yarraville? That's Footscray my friend, and don't you ****in forget it! North edge of Yarraville indeed"

:)

And I've seen Tom Boyd at the same cafe.

jeemak
01-04-2015, 03:36 PM
As someone who lives in that beautiful pocket of the world, in my (piss poor) 12th man/Bill Lawry voice:

"North edge of Yarraville? That's Footscray my friend, and don't you ****in forget it! North edge of Yarraville indeed"

You are right to smash me on that, a quick check of google says so!

always right
01-04-2015, 04:13 PM

It reminds me of a talkback caller who when questioned on the whereabouts of his suburb replied...."it's the Paris end of Cranbourne".

Greystache
01-04-2015, 04:43 PM
It reminds me of a talkback caller who when questioned on the whereabouts of his suburb replied...."it's the Paris end of Cranbourne".

He's right too. If you've been to Clichy-sous-Bois in Paris it would very much remind you of Cranbourne :D

Twodogs
01-04-2015, 04:48 PM
I don't think that I've ever been to Paris or Cranbourne.

always right
01-04-2015, 11:25 PM
He's right too. If you've been to Clichy-sous-Bois in Paris it would very much remind you of Cranbourne :D

So that would be the Cranbourne end of Paris.

always right
01-04-2015, 11:27 PM
I don't think that I've ever been to Paris or Cranbourne.
I've been to both. Difficult to choose my favourite.

Twodogs
02-04-2015, 01:33 AM
I've been to both. Difficult to choose my favourite.

Transport would be a factor. The MET can be a nightmare to get around on.

jeemak
02-04-2015, 01:45 AM
Transport would be a factor. The MET can be a nightmare to get around on.

Paris underground is too complicated. The simple nature of our bus, rail and tram network is its largest asset IMO. The fact it is in English makes you not care about the lack of footpaths once you're off the system.

Greystache
02-04-2015, 01:57 AM
Personally I found the English slightly better in Paris.

jeemak
02-04-2015, 02:56 AM
Personally I found the English slightly better in Paris.

Well I suppose that's one of the benefits of being an extrovert 'stache.

I traveled with a southern cross tattoo and an Essendon scarf around Paris (I just wanted to be a real Aussie), nobody talked to me but I don't regret a minute of my time there. The French are snobs anyways.

always right
02-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Well I suppose that's one of the benefits of being an extrovert 'stache.

I traveled with a southern cross tattoo and an Essendon scarf around Paris (I just wanted to be a real Aussie), nobody talked to me but I don't regret a minute of my time there. The French are snobs anyways.

I found them to be quite friendly and helpful. I also love their flag.

I didn't like the way they laughed at my attempts to speak French.

jeemak
02-04-2015, 09:17 AM
I found them to be quite friendly and helpful. I also love their flag.

I didn't like the way they laughed at my attempts to speak French.

I was being facetious. I don't have a southern cross tattoo, nor do I have an Essendon scarf to travel with.

Like you, I found the French to be extremely friendly and helpful. A smile and pathetic look goes a long way.

bornadog
02-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Paris underground is too complicated. The simple nature of our bus, rail and tram network is its largest asset IMO. The fact it is in English makes you not care about the lack of footpaths once you're off the system.

I have been to Paris a few times including last year to watch the end of the Tour. I had no problems with the Met and the friends we were with showed us the bus system as well. Made it so easy to get around.

always right
02-04-2015, 10:49 AM
I have been to Paris a few times including last year to watch the end of the Tour. I had no problems with the Met and the friends we were with showed us the bus system as well. Made it so easy to get around.

jeemak was being sarcastic

jeemak
02-04-2015, 12:01 PM
It seems The Milking Station is a bit of a Dogs haunt.

Anyone else know of other common places for players?

Maddog37
02-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Stalker alert!!!��

wimberga
02-04-2015, 12:26 PM

Don't know of any others myself but I do enjoy the footscray milking station - the pulled pork roll thing is amazing!

Happy Days
02-04-2015, 12:38 PM

I dunno, CQ by proxy?

azabob
02-04-2015, 09:58 PM

Whitten oval.
Guerrilla Espresso they go to a bit.

The bulldog tragician
03-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Le Chien in Seddon.

LostDoggy
03-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Common Galaxia in Seddon. Though I can't imagine why, the food, service and coffee is shit.

Twodogs
03-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Common Galaxia in Seddon. Though I can't imagine why, the food, service and coffee is shit.

Nostalgia? The food, coffee and service used to be shit at the Mona Castle. Any complaints back then were dealt with a swift left knee to the groin

ledge
04-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Years ago it was a pizza place in footscray.. I think they still visit jimmy wongs

Twodogs
04-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Years ago it was a pizza place in footscray.. I think they still visit jimmy wongs

still better Dim Sims than South Melbourne Dim Sims too.

bornadog
04-04-2015, 01:03 PM
still better Dim Sims than South Melbourne Dim Sims too.

That is high praise. I love South Melbourne Dim Sims.

Twodogs
04-04-2015, 03:15 PM

They are pretty good but Jimmys are better.

Twodogs
04-04-2015, 03:15 PM

They are pretty good but Jimmys are better.

ledge
04-04-2015, 03:50 PM
I was there in November with 4 others and we all had our birthday around the same time so we bought a cake with us .. Jimmy saw it and came over, we chatted to him for about 30 min then he went out back and gave us a bag each of dim sims for free . Probably about 8 in each bag