PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs season preview - Me? I Like Football

The Hitman
18-03-2015, 08:50 PM
I thought you'd want to check out our new site's (http://www.meilikefootball.com/) 2015 season preview for the Doggies.

Genuinely after the thoughts of Bulldog fans and interested in feedback, as well as what the realistic aims for the season from you guys are. After the rather tumultuous off-season, you must be looking forward to the season starting!

I've posted the whole thing here, sans images, and thanks to GVGjr for giving me the okay to post this here. I wrote this preview and want to respectively engage - if you want to see the preview on the site in all its glory you can to so by clicking here (http://meilikefootball.com/2015/03/18/westernbulldogs2015/).

2015 season preview: Western Bulldogs

By Brett Collett (https://twitter.com/brettacollett)

LAST CAMPAIGN

In 2013 the Western Bulldogs won eight games and were showing signs of growth under second-year coach Brendan McCartney. A young group, anchored by a handful of hardened veterans, looked ready to take the next step; expectations for 2014 were calibrated more towards challenging for a finals spot than a finish near the bottom of the ladder.

But no team hitting the halfway mark of the season with a 3-8 record can expect to make the finals, especially when those wins were over a then-lacklustre Richmond, the Giants and Melbourne. That round three victory over the Tigers would be the Dogs’ only one over a finalist in 2014.

And the slight improvement in winning four games in the second half of the season couldn’t shake the feeling that, with only seven victories, there was a regression on 2013’s efforts. That feeling was hammered home with only one win from their last six games, including a round 23 loss to Greater Western Sydney at Docklands which left a sour taste in the mouths of the faithful.

Diamonds in the rough were apparent for those keeping watch, with Tom Liberatore becoming one of the competition’s best inside midfielders, rookie Marcus Bontempelli unlucky not to win the Rising Star award and Jack Macrae blossoming into a damaging and influential ball-winner.

There was one piece of silver that found its way back to Whitten Oval last year: Footscray won the VFL premiership in its first season as a stand-alone team.

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER

Essendon aside, there wasn’t an AFL club that suffered a more traumatic off-season than the Western Bulldogs. An argument could even be made that at least most of Essendon’s existing infrastructure survived the summer, which is certainly not the case at Whitten Oval.

There’s a new coach, a new captain, a new vice-captain and a continuing search for a new CEO. There’s a shiny new key forward and, heck, they’ve even got a new logo (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-western-bulldogs-logo-spells-the-end-for-robodog-20141007-10rh9q.html).

While there appeared to be minor discontent at first, no one realised just how deep the internal troubles ran. Star midfielder and first-year captain Ryan Griffen returned from his holiday unhappy with life as both a leader and a Bulldog, and publicly declared that he wanted out via a trade to Greater Western Sydney. After initially playing hardball, the Bulldogs caved in more than one way; first they sacked coach McCartney in the middle of trade week to stem the tide of internal discontent, and then ended up trading Griffen to the Giants anyway.

Their return on Griffen was Tom Boyd, the promising tall forward who the Giants picked with the first selection in the 2013 national draft. And while the Dogs had to package Griffen with pick 6 in the draft to land Boyd, it at least gave the Doggies faithful a silver lining to losing their reluctant skipper.

After hiring Luke Beveridge as the new senior coach, CEO and former Dogs player Simon Garlick left his role in what appeared to be less than mutual circumstances.

Griffen wasn’t the only significant on-field departure from the kennel, as Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney engineered a trade to Essendon, the oft-injured but talented Shaun Higgins left for North Melbourne under free agency, and the frustrating tall forward Liam Jones was traded to Carlton, which is where skilled speedster Jason Tutt also ended up. Grey-haired forward Daniel Giansiracusa retired to take up a coaching position at the club, while it was also the end of the road for unlucky tall Tom Williams and Christian Howard.

The Bulldogs defence has more options after landing Shane Biggs from Sydney in a trade and Joel Hamling from Geelong as a delisted free agent. Midfielder Lin Jong earned himself elevation from the club’s rookie list, as did tall forward Jack Redpath, who will probably have first dibs as Boyd’s forward partner after an impressive set of pre-season performances.

With their first round pick in western Sydney, the Bulldogs had to wait until the second round for their initial picks, where they invested in flanker Toby McLean and midfielder Lukas Webb. But it is perhaps the 168cm midfielder Caleb Daniel who, while picked at number 46, will be most likely to debut early this season.

THE CHALLENGE

The big challenge for the Bulldogs will be rebuilding a sense of meaningful direction following the off-season purges. The club seems to have embraced a theme of renewal, and new captain Bob Murphy is the right choice to sell hope to fans – a role he should have been given 12 months ago.

Wins aside, the best way the Doggies can keep the light on the hill aflame is by re-signing new vice-captain Jordan Roughead, second-generation Bulldog Mitch Wallis, Luke Dahlhaus and veteran defender Dale Morris.

THE COACH

After the off-field meltdown at Whitten Oval saw Brendan McCartney lose his job three years into the post-Rodney Eade rebuilding project, Luke Beveridge took over the top job fresh off back-to-back premierships at Hawthorn, where he was responsible for the defensive unit.

Despite being a former Bulldog (31 games in the mid ’90s before stints at Melbourne and St Kilda), Beveridge doesn’t feel like a choice of sentimentality and familiarity over substance; he beat out McCartney’s senior assistant and another former Dog Brett Montgomery for the position (Montgomery chose to stay on as Beveridge’s number two). Beveridge never won a premiership as a player, but he has had no issue guiding teams to glory from the coaches box. In addition to his latest success at Hawthorn, Beveridge’s three seasons as coach at St Bede’s in the VAFA saw him win three flags and he was an assistant when Collingwood won their 2010 premiership.

His overall record? Eight seasons, six premierships, one grand final loss and one preliminary final loss. That bodes well for the Doggies, but then again, if premiership success as an assistant coach was a true indicator of senior success, Brendan McCartney would still be at the helm.

There’s not much chance of the Bulldogs adding to that impressive tally in the immediate term, but Beveridge does have the opportunity to mould a group of talented youngsters, particularly the lively midfield group. While McCartney focused on winning the inside contests, there was a lack of certainty of what to do with the ball once it had been won. If Beveridge can formulate a game plan that promotes surer and cleaner ball usage, that will go a long way to developing both the midfield and forward young pups into a force in a few years’ time.

THE STAR

This should be where I wax lyrical about Tom Liberatore, but he will miss the entire season after rupturing his ACL during the Bulldogs’ NAB Challenge win over Richmond at Whitten Oval last month.

Instead it will be an old hand in Matthew Boyd who will be relied upon to provide the inside muscle and feed the likes of Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli and Jake Stringer in midfield.

The former skipper was reported to have considered finishing up at the end of last season, but decided on another campaign. With Liberatore’s injury and the experience drain the club experienced in the off-season, the club and its fans must be thankful that Boyd decided to stick around.

Boyd is just 11 games shy of 250, and before Liberatore’s injury, was slated for a role rotating between half back and the midfield – similar to what Sam Mitchell has done to great effect at Hawthorn over the past two seasons. But with an average of 26 touches a game last season, and with the club’s premier midfielder out of commission, it’s going to be difficult to keep Boyd out of the middle when it counts most.

ONE TO WATCH

If the Rising Star was based on who showed the most talent rather than on who played best over the course of 2014, first-year Bulldog Marcus Bontempelli would have won in a canter.

His numbers – averaging nearly a goal and 16 disposals a game in 16 appearances – don’t tell the story as much as the visuals. A 192cm tough and skillful kid who never shied away from the big moment, as his scramble and snap to see off Melbourne (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBU9xkd0l5o) in the final minutes attests.

How ‘The Bont’ develops will be fascinating. He could, like James Hird, Luke Hodge and Nat Fyfe before him, be unleashed at any part of the ground as the game situation dictates. Or he could, like Fremantle’s David Mundy, be a forceful big-bodied midfielder continually driving his team forward with equal amounts fervour and silk.

Whatever he becomes, he has committed to become it at the Bulldogs. Bontempelli was given a two-year extension early last year and is locked down until the end of 2017.

IN THE GUN

It’s unfair that a 19-year-old who has not yet played a game for the club can be considered “in the gun”, but the pressure on new recruit Tom Boyd will be great, and how he deals with that could shape how he develops as the Bulldogs’ forward focus in the years to come.

There’s no doubt that the investment in Boyd by the Dogs is a large one: Ryan Griffen and pick 6 to get him, and a seven-year deal worth upwards of $6 million to lock him down for the foreseeable future.

With eight goals in nine games, this is a contract that pays for potential over performance more than any other deal we’ve seen in the AFL before. But what else was a besieged Western Bulldogs meant to do? How could a club that has been on the search for a legitimate key forward since Chris Grant hung up the boots say no to this opportunity?

They couldn’t, and that should not be Boyd’s burden. Let’s hope he doesn’t let it be.

BEST 22

B: Robert Murphy – Jordan Roughead – Dale Morris
HB: Easton Wood – Michael Talia – Shane Biggs
C: Jason Johannisen – Matthew Boyd – Jake Stringer
HF: Marcus Bontempelli – Tom Boyd – Luke Dahlhaus
F: Stewart Crameri – Jack Redpath – Tory Dickson
FOLL: Will Minson – Mitch Wallis – Jack Macrae
INT: Ayce Cordy – Nathan Hrovat – Clay Smith – Liam PickenNote: Tom Liberatore not considered due to season-ending knee injury

THE VERDICT

This will sadly be another one of those years for the sons of the ‘Scray, where how players develop and work to a coach’s game plan will be more important than wins.

One gets the feeling that with the young talent on the books, particularly in midfield, there will be a season coming up where it just clicks and the Doggies slingshot up the ladder and into September action. But that won’t be this year.

After losing so much experience over summer, if the club can match the seven wins from last season, it would be a good result. Being competitive against good teams and not fading out towards the end of the season should be the main KPIs Luke Beveridge and his charges are judged on.

OUR PREDICTIONWe have the Bulldogs finishing second-to-last, in 17th.

GVGjr
18-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Many thanks for the post Hitman and I think your assessment is around the mark. We are a very inexperienced side that is placing a lot of emphasis on the development of many younger players. Many of our additions this year were players who have been in the system for 3 years like Biggs, Redpath and Hamling but without a lot of experience. They will get their chances this year.

We are also hoping that guys like Roberts and Talia can develop into key defenders and that Tom Boyd takes his first positive steps into a long career at the Western Bulldogs.

I think we will do a bit better than your prediction but 2015 is certainly a development year for us.

Perhaps have a look at some of these threads

Our Draft Philosophy (http://woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?14004-Our-Drafting-Philosophy)

2014 /15 - List Review Analysis (http://woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13909-2014-15-List-Review-Analysis)

2015 Playing List (http://woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?14015-2015-Playing-List)

GVGjr
18-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Just a reminder, The Hitman asked permission before posting and he genuinely wants to discuss the 2015 season with the WOOF members. I would encourage anyone interested to join in and hopefully we can add some value to the discussions.

Bulldog Revolution
18-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Apart from the 'In the Gun' and 'Best 22'

I think thats a pretty fair summary of lots of things, and shows to a fair degree commentary that Brett Collett has been paying attention - which is often more than we can say of Fox Footy, Channel 7 etc

He's nailed the importance of MBoyd to a supporter base who often forget the positives he brings to the table. The pressure on TBoyd will mostly be external - I personally don't have enormous expectations of him other than that he dedicate himself to getting himself in to the best shape he can to be the best footballer he can.

I see JJ getting first crack at half back, given Biggs is injured - I would have selected Macrae on a wing and Jong in the middle

I see Stevens in the side, struggle to Ayce in it and find it impossible to think Clay Smith is coming off consecutive ACL tears

1eyedog
18-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Great write up and agree with most of the content with the exception of us finishing 14-16. I'm interested why Biggs is best 22 and that there is no Wood on the bench. I thought we saw steady improvement in Wood over the past two seasons and I'm not sure what Biggs has shown other than some ok pre-season form and one ok game with Sydney.

The Hitman
18-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Great write up and agree with most of the content with the exception of us finishing 14-16. I'm interested why Biggs is best 22 and that there is no Wood on the bench. I thought we saw steady improvement in Wood over the past two seasons and I'm not sure what Biggs has shown other than some ok pre-season form and one ok game with Sydney.

Thanks.

I have Easton Wood at half back in my best 22.

The best 22 is more thinking about later in the season than in round one - who'd you want there if you're in the hunt for a finals spot. I have Biggs there because he did show something in his limited opportunities at Sydney, and his pace will suit your style. I think he was an astute trade target.

Likewise, I don't think Clay Smith will be there in round one, but once the dust settles and he gets some VFL into his legs he'll get back into the seniors - he's too good not to.

F'scary
18-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Firstly, I thought it a very good article displaying in depth knowledge of the Chihauhaus and an excellent precis of Shocktober and related events and issues.

But before condemning us to 17th place, I think you need to consider that there are a few sides generally being ranked above us by many that are quite flaky in one way or another and a few more that may be living on past glories and could slide, perhaps dramatically.

always right
18-03-2015, 11:32 PM
I think the summary is pretty much spot on....yet I'm excited about the season ahead.

ratsmac
18-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Nice write up! It is good to see someone putting some effort and research into an article about the doggies.

I would like to think that we can finish above 17 like most bulldog supporters, but another injury to the wrong player and we're looking at the number 1 draft pick. I think we have enough talent though to get us about 7-8 wins.

bornadog
18-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Enjoyed reading the article and pretty much spot on. I think by the halfway mark during the season the best 22 will change quiet a bit. I think many spots are up for grabs, such as HBF, CHB and HFF. At this stage I rate JJ over Biggs and Grant over Dickson as part of the best 22.

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 01:03 AM
Great write-up and unlike others I think 17th is about spot on, we just lost so much experience. With Picken taking a more forward - creative role, does Ronnie Biggs get a spot as a run with player? He did a fine job on Griffen in the game against us last year.

G-Mo77
19-03-2015, 08:44 AM
I think the summary is pretty much spot on....yet I'm excited about the season ahead.

I'm the same mate. It's going to be a lean year in terms of Wins but I'm more excited than I have been the past 3 - 4 years.

Can't fault the article, spot on.

1eyedog
19-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks.

I have Easton Wood at half back in my best 22.

The best 22 is more thinking about later in the season than in round one - who'd you want there if you're in the hunt for a finals spot. I have Biggs there because he did show something in his limited opportunities at Sydney, and his pace will suit your style. I think he was an astute trade target.

Likewise, I don't think Clay Smith will be there in round one, but once the dust settles and he gets some VFL into his legs he'll get back into the seniors - he's too good not to.

I must be going insane. I went through your team twice and missed Wood on both occasions. Thanks for clarifying.

I feel second last is a little low. I'd be surprised if St. Kilda finishes above us for a start and am optimistic where we are in relation to Melbourne given the performance of our kids against their A team on Saturday. Collingwood on Saturday night will give us some insight where we are both in relation to implementing our game plan as well as the ability to match it against decent opposition. I also think our list is superior to Carlton's and Brisbane's and fully expect to finish above them on the ladder, although that depends on Brisbane's form at home.

In terms of matching it with the next tier of teams such as GWS it really depends on the improvement of our kids; and to a degree this also applies to them, although I expect their recent acquisition will provide enough midfield class to see them comfortably overtake us this year. Libba is a massive loss but we have a dearth of inside mids with Wallis and later Clay Smith being the obvious replacements. The loss of Cooney and Higgins is negligible and one could question whether their 2014 output really made a difference to our ladder position.

My optimism stems purely from the dangerous look of our forward line. If we can deliver effectively enough Crameri (when available), Stringer, Boyd, Grant, Dickson, Dahlhaus, Redpath and Bont provide viable and highly flexible options for scoring, perhaps more so than what is available to the likes of Melbourne, St. Kilda, Carlton and Brisbane. Having so many options up forward is certainly a new scenario for us, the problem now for us of course will be across the rest of the ground.

Greystache
19-03-2015, 12:01 PM
I must be going insane. I went through your team twice and missed Wood on both occasions. Thanks for clarifying.

I feel second last is a little low. I'd be surprised if St. Kilda finishes above us for a start and am optimistic where we are in relation to Melbourne given the performance of our kids against their A team on Saturday. Collingwood on Saturday night will give us some insight where we are both in relation to implementing our game plan as well as the ability to match it against decent opposition. I also think our list is superior to Carlton's and Brisbane's and fully expect to finish above them on the ladder, although that depends on Brisbane's form at home.

He has St Kilda last and Melbourne 16th, with us in the middle.

I think you could throw a blanket over us, St Kilda, Melbourne, GWS, Carlton, and Brisbane, and finishing position will come down to injuries, form runs, and luck. Collingwood are poorly coached and have had bad fitness and football management in recent years, but they still have enough talent to stay ahead of us, even though they will be bottom 8 again.

Remi Moses
19-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Great write up . Certainly better than most of the dross served up by the Accredited monkeys that report on the game.
It's strange that although I think we'll struggle ( bottom 4 ) I'm looking forward to what lays ahead .
David King's opening line in the Huns season preview "Dogs should stop acting like a poor club".
Really?

Sedat
19-03-2015, 02:50 PM
I think you could throw a blanket over us, St Kilda, Melbourne, GWS, Carlton, and Brisbane.
Reckon Brisbane's deep and talented midfield should help them to the 10-12 game mark this season. Sure they lack experience in their key forwards and depth with their key defenders, but the extreme running depth required in the modern game will actually suite Brisbane's skill set. Hanley's loss for most of the season will hurt them a lot.

Remi Moses
19-03-2015, 02:55 PM
He has St Kilda last and Melbourne 16th, with us in the middle.

I think you could throw a blanket over us, St Kilda, Melbourne, GWS, Carlton, and Brisbane, and finishing position will come down to injuries, form runs, and luck. Collingwood are poorly coached and have had bad fitness and football management in recent years, but they still have enough talent to stay ahead of us, even though they will be bottom 8 again.

Not so sure about Bris Vegas or the Pies.
Reckon Bris Vegas has us covered for mid depth, and the pies have us covered for senior quality .
The loss of Hanley is on a par with Libba for us.

Twodogs
19-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Me? I like the report you've come up with Hitman. Like Remi indicates above it is better researched and informed than most of the Melbourne meeja is capable of.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised where we finish this year. There are just too many unknowns -for us (what if Bevo is a genius?)and the entire competition (what happens if Essendon go tits up?) that could work out really well for us or they could turn out complete disasters for us to confidently say one way or another that we will finish anywhere between 18th and 7th.

Having said that though my tip is for us to finish twelfth.

The Hitman
20-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Screw David King. No one likes him.

Completely get what you're saying Remi. Even as a non-Dog, I'm going to really enjoy watching the Dogs this season, even though I have you pegged towards the bottom. A lot to like, and a lot to get excited for when it comes to player development.

Twodogs
20-03-2015, 08:04 PM

Completely get what you're saying Remi. Even as a non-Dog, I'm going to really enjoy watching the Dogs this season, even though I have you pegged towards the bottom. A lot to like, and a lot to get excited for when it comes to player development.

What are your thoughts on Beveridge's appointment Hitman?

I'm enthused by his more attacking footy mantra and the highly skilled drills I have seen him run at training.

Bulldog4life
20-03-2015, 08:27 PM

I do.:)

boydogs
22-03-2015, 02:53 AM
I think this missed the mark on replacing Libba. Boyd did step up against the Demons but tonight it was Wallis, Macrae, Bonts, Jong Honeychurch & Goodes, Boyd stayed in defense. Clay Smith will help when he returns who wasn't mentioned either

F'scary
22-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Firstly, I thought it a very good article displaying in depth knowledge of the Chihauhaus and an excellent precis of Shocktober and related events and issues.

But before condemning us to 17th place, I think you need to consider that there are a few sides generally being ranked above us by many that are quite flaky in one way or another and a few more that may be living on past glories and could slide, perhaps dramatically.

I know it was only one game and a NAB Cup match at that but I think it supports the point I made above.

mjp
23-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks for posting.

My thoughts are a little different. Naming Boyd (Matthew version) as the 'star' is just silly. Macrae was second in the b&f, Bonts second in the rising star and Dahlhaus is 'coming'. Pick one of them...or stringer, or Murphy...but don't pick Boydy. It isn't 2009.

The big issue personnel wise is the defensive group and there might be days when we concede some big scores. This needs emphasis.

Our forward line - with the aforementioned Bonts, Dahl, Stringer...and assuming all goes well with the appeal - Crameri - is a match up nightmare and will cause opposition teams a lot of trouble. A lot. Assuming we maintain at least some of the stoppages 'skill' from 2013/4 there will be inside 50 chances as well...I would be surprised at less than a 50% i50 to score ratio this year and this will (depending upon accuracy) lead to wins.

17th is fine based on defensive metrics from the past couple of years but the team will be a tough out and trying to find match-ups for Crameri, stringer and Bontempelli will cause opposition teams-even the 'top' ones-a lot of headaches. For example, work out who Sydney would play on each of those three - assuming Smith takes Dahlhaus- and you will quickly see that a very dangerous group is developing-each player is a good athlete with making ability. I am not expecting/counting on anything from Redpath/Campbell/Boyd (Tom variety) but each of them is 'handy' enough to need an assigned opponent...hopefully Boyd is eventually better than that.

The loss of Liberatore is huge...but given the group the loss of Roughead would probably be worse (or even the failure of him to develop as a reliable key back?).